'04 Burner refurb program- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009

'04 Burner refurb program

I recently got my '04 Burner refurbished, and I have to say that I'm quite impressed with the result. Very nice job on the powder coating, and everything else looks perfect. I opted to leave the polished rear end as-is, but decided to give it some color. I think it now needs a white post and stem... either that or a black fork.

Before:

After:

One thing that I did notice is that the bottle cage hardware isn't stainless... I'm pretty sure that it was before. Odd place to cheap out, and not a big deal, but surprising.

Question: before this was repainted, I had pretty bad wear marks from the rear cable housings around the taco and seat mast and the housing itself was getting pretty worn. Is there some trick to routing the cables that I'm missing, or is that just the way that it is?

clo
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    looks great! I have an 03 burner. who did the work? turner? since they upped the price, I decided to look elsewhere to get it redone.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Thanks! Yeah, Turner did the work. They recently dropped their refurb prices back down to a reasonable level: $320 for the front end powdercoat and rear end rebuild, or $395 for front and rear. When I first started looking, it was $200 something, then was what, $600? That wasn't going to happen.

mtbr member

Burner love...

still in my heart! The 04' burner was my first Turner and I wish I would have kept the frame. I sold the frame 2 yrs ago to build a 5 spot (08') but I miss the snappier feel of a shorter travel bike on climbs. Just recently, I built up an 04' Burner (black) for a good friend of mine who acquired the frame for a steal. His was never ridden and we used a low budget ans his came out great. Yours turned out great btw and I love the color. Now go get it dirty!
    Too wet to ride!

clo
    mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisgah2000 View Post
    Thanks! Yeah, Turner did the work. They recently dropped their refurb prices back down to a reasonable level: $320 for the front end powdercoat and rear end rebuild, or $395 for front and rear. When I first started looking, it was $200 something, then was what, $600? That wasn't going to happen.
    wow that's good to know! maybe I'll send mine in then.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I was thinking about my 05 HL 5 Spot done because the powdercoat is starting to flake off in certain areas. Was shipping to and from Turner extra? Did it really take 3 weeks? Did they check the frame for cracks? If so did they find/repair any? Thanks. BTW, your bike looks great!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by clo View Post
    wow that's good to know! maybe I'll send mine in then.
    Got for it!

Quote Originally Posted by driven916 View Post
    I was thinking about my 05 HL 5 Spot done because the powdercoat is starting to flake off in certain areas. Was shipping to and from Turner extra? Did it really take 3 weeks? Did they check the frame for cracks? If so did they find/repair any? Thanks. BTW, your bike looks great!
    Yep, the shipping is extra. I got reamed when I shipped via USPS due to a slightly oversized box (the price quintupled to about $70), but it was a reasonable $30 to ship back from Turner.

I asked Greg the same questions about checking for cracks, and he said that they went over it and all looked well. I'm not sure how they deal with repairs. Before I shipped it out, I spoke to who I think was Dave and he sounded a little hesitant about getting an older bike refurbed, but then again, mine doesn't have all that many miles on it compared to some. It's not my primary ride, and hasn't really been ridden all that much (~600 miles in the 3 years I've owned it).

As far as the timeline is concerned, yep, took three weeks excluding shipping. I'm next door to you in Davis, and it only took 2 days to get here.

Now I wonder if I should have gotten the back end powdercoated black... hmm.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Pisgah2000 View Post
    Got for it!

Yep, the shipping is extra. I got reamed when I shipped via USPS due to a slightly oversized box (the price quintupled to about $70), but it was a reasonable $30 to ship back from Turner.

I asked Greg the same questions about checking for cracks, and he said that they went over it and all looked well. I'm not sure how they deal with repairs. Before I shipped it out, I spoke to who I think was Dave and he sounded a little hesitant about getting an older bike refurbed, but then again, mine doesn't have all that many miles on it compared to some. It's not my primary ride, and hasn't really been ridden all that much (~600 miles in the 3 years I've owned it).

As far as the timeline is concerned, yep, took three weeks excluding shipping. I'm next door to you in Davis, and it only took 2 days to get here.

Now I wonder if I should have gotten the back end powdercoated black... hmm.
    Thanks for the info! FWIW, I'm a fan of the orange and black but I like the look of the polished stays. If I have my Spot refurbed I'd probably keep mine polished, but I've pondered that question as well.

mtbr member
    I've been thinking of using my 04' burner frame as a trade in for a new 5.Spot frame but I really don't think I can do it. I've been riding that bike for 8 years. I've riddin it all over the country, in about 50 mountain bike races. I'm really not sure I can let go of it. It's the closest thing I have to a child. On the downside the frame is beat up, it has dents in the down tube and the gloss black paint is now mat black. If I do this it won't be for another year anyway.
    I like to ride bikes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Just got my highline refurbed. Turn around was 3 weeks. I think turn around would've been faster if they weren't pushing out so many Spots and Sultans, plus the new projects. Greg was great to deal with. Pics of build up soon on HL thread or new thread.

Op- the orange looks good! I decided to go raw from the candy blue.

Members who have read this thread: 0