&@#$ing 66SL!- Mtbr.com

Thread: &@#$ing 66SL!

~~~~~~~~

&@#$ing 66SL!

could have been out riding already but decided to check my air on the fork and now it's apart and I'm wondering how does oil get into the doppio cart?

I guess I'll just cycle it to try and get it out then put it back together and see what happens.

I've seen it mentioned in the forums before about the correct sequence for adding air but I can't find it...

mtbr member
    What happend to "If it an't broke don't fix it"

Runs away
    Stay off the brakes

mtbr member
    Btw I have no idea I am still on the 36 Van, sorry.
    Stay off the brakes

No, that's not phonetic
    If you want to drain oil out of the neg chamber, turn the bike over, and thread the Zoke adapter (without the pump attached) SLOWLY into the neg chamber valve. Hold a rag under it while you do this. Just as you hear a little gurgle and sputter, go a little farther and let the air pressure force the oil out. Once the oil stops coming, back the adapter back out and flip the bike back rightsideup.

I always fill the positive chambers first, and then do the neg last. I don't know how oil gets in, since the air does not escape. Weird.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    If you want to drain oil out of the neg chamber.... Weird.
    tried that.
    tried everything I can think of.

I'm at 50mm of travel when I try to pump in 75lbs. of air .
    nothing I try is making it stay at 170.

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof
    the 36 Van, sorry.
    I do have one I could mount up.
    all I would need to do is change my out my brake caliper .

mtbr member
    Hi ho hi ho it's off to the shop I go :0
    Stay off the brakes

No, that's not phonetic
    It sounds like air is getting from one chamber to another, or something. I cannot figure out where you are trying to put air from your post though. 75psi where?

If you pull the cart out and pump the neg chamber up, does the cart shrink, or can you see where the air is escaping?

mtbr member
    I do like to fix things myself when I can,but your fork is in Warrenty and you have a fork to swap out, fiddle if you must,but TS has to because of where he live's (and that's what he does)
    Send it back ?
    Stay off the brakes

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by airwreck
    tried that.
    tried everything I can think of.

I'm at 50mm of travel when I try to pump in 75lbs. of air .
    nothing I try is making it stay at 170.
    ...dude, remember the positive valve is the offset one on the left leg! There is no way you filled the 2 positive chambers first & only achieved 50mm travel.....try again!

Ala Tscheezy mod to the RP3/ DHXair: perhaps you need to maintain some oil in the dopio cart to avoid rendering the seal useless. IOW, how many people have consistently purged the dopio pressure in an effort to achieve the perfect setup, yet not replaced the initial oil that was displaced in the process? Either way, the seal is VERY simple to replace if need be....

~~~~~~~~
    I put 20 lbs in the positive valve (offset one).
    then start adding air to the negative and the travel starts dropping right away.
    75lbs of air in the negative is the recommended amount for 170mm travel, it gets me 80mm travel.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    I put 20 lbs in the positive valve (offset one).
    then start adding air to the negative and the travel starts dropping right away.
    75lbs of air in the negative is the recommended amount for 170mm travel, it gets me 80mm travel.
    ...very strange. I assume you are filling BOTH pos. chambers w/ 20 psi? The curious thing is, if the air was leaking from the dopio...w/ 75psi in the neg. chamber & only 20psi in the pos., the tendency would be for the pressure to equalize INTO the pos. chamber...thus creating a firmer spring & more travel.

I suppose the only way to verify is to remove the cart & check for leaks. Did you try airing up both pos. chambers & not adding any to the neg. to see how the fork responds? Also, try really airing up the leftside pos. chamber to around 50psi (depressurize neg chamber as well)....cycle the fork & then open the valve for the neg. chamber & see if any air escapes. Also, are you sure you have the recommended oil levels in the left side? (40ml)

No, that's not phonetic
    So the fork is sucking down? Hmmm... that's a new one. The pos holds air (it is not leaking out of the fork somewhere)? Have you totally drained the negative chamber of oil? As in, you add that 75psi and immediately flip the fork and use the valve adapter to let some air out of the neg chamber and no oil comes out? I ask because a shrinking Zoke air fork is typically due to oil in the neg chamber eating its volume up.

Outcast
    Eric, so what was the 30 mintue conversation with marz. like?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    Eric, so what was the 30 mintue conversation with marz. like?
    Hmmm...26 minutes of hold music, or 16 minutes of getting bounced around, talking to the tech guys, then seven more minutes on hold waiting for Brian as the tech guys walk over and tell him to pick up his phone instead of playing with his Newton's Device desk toy?

~~~~~~~~
    Okay, got a tech marz on the phone.
    best guess from them is the seal inside the doppio.
    they don't think I can fix it myself and they want me to send the whole fork in.
    But they don't know if they will warranty it until they've seen it first .

Switching out the doppio for coil would run me $160.
    My broken comp knob would also require a complete cart replacement, another $180.

Of course I got the not affliated with a shop BS.

At this point I'm super bummed out with Marzocchi.

Outcast
    I see a Totem in your future.

~~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Hmmm...26 minutes of hold music, or 16 minutes of getting bounced around, talking to the tech guys, then seven more minutes on hold waiting for Brian as the tech guys walk over and tell him to pick up his phone instead of playing with his Newton's Device desk toy?
    pretty close.
    few minutes of hold while he asked someone else.
    lots of time looking up part numbers.

lots of indecision because I'm not with a shop.

I've heard some of you guys have gotten good service from them what's the deal?
    You must have a worthwhile shop to work through?

~~~~~~~~
    I see a COIL Totem in your future.
    I'm concerned it will be a bit too tall.

~~~~~~~~
    an update.
    went home and gave it one more try.
    let all the air out of all the chambers.
    put 40 in the posi's.
    aired up the neg to 75.
    looks like it's back to normal.
    swear I tried this repeatedly the other day to no avail.

now I need to figure out what to do with this fork. Do I trust it? Selling it is going to suck, should send it in, there's 50 bucks in shipping. Steerer tube is super short, can get a new one pressed in for $60. Replace comp cart so it can be adjusted, another $160. So there's about $300 to make it sorta like new. Even then can I expect to get much for it? How much should I expect to get for it in it's thrashed short steerer state?

Hopefully I can squeeze some more rides out of it and get a suitable replacement before I send it in.
    Last edited by airwreck; 09-06-2006 at 12:29 PM.

Outcast
    Airwreck, how about your earlier thought:

"Switching out the doppio for coil would run me $160."
    How much total $$$ would it take to turn your SL into a coil fork?

~~~~~~~~
    Airwreck, how about your earlier thought:

"Switching out the doppio for coil would run me $160."
    How much total $$$ would it take to turn your SL into a coil fork?
    I would have a non-eta 66 light with no ability to adjust the compression unless I buy a new cart for the RC side. BTW, does the RC2X have a spring in the right leg?
    So I'd being buying carts and springs and probably some knobs....

Number crunching.
    a used 66 light recently auctioned off for $365
    my custom worked 66SL probably wouldn't fetch much more than $300.
    is a couple hundred more (minimum) in replacement parts going net me anything? I think not.
    could pick up a new RC2x for $500 maybe less.

the big thing for me is that the 170 66 is likely the best geometry match for my tastes.

or screw it all and go JNC styling full rigid 29'er .

Outcast
    Shee-it, SSINGA would probably give you $200 alone for the black lowers. He's just pretending that he likes the creamsicle look.

Just another FOCer
    Yes, there is a spring in each leg.

...does the RC2X have a spring in the right leg?
    "I hope your gravity droppers all seize up....BASTIDS." - Aquaholic

NLZ
    The Path Bike Shop
    Winston presents - Socal Videos

trail fairy
    Ahh the joys of technology, sorry if Ive high jacked yr thread airwreck just seems appropiate to vent in union

Well if its any consolation I was gonna post a similar thing only with my marz 66RC2X
    Which has been clunking on high speed hits and Ive tried it all setting resetting adjustments till Im blue in the face

So today the fork came apart all looks good we thinks?
    Not sure if there should be a spacer on each side atop of the springs, theres one on the rebound side, nothing on the compression side.
    e.g each side has a cartridge and a blue spring yay have that much rebound has a black spacer then the top caps, no buffer seal between springs and rods(cartridge which I was told there should be which reduces the spring from hitting the inside legs

Anyways we measured the oil levels yes this meant pulling the fork apart darn it looks like where short 50mm of oil in each leg yep that might do it, this is according to the oil levels on the Marz website for the 66RC2x, only 145mm per leg instead of rec 195mm per leg umm seems a big difference.

Oh well dropped it some higher quality 10wt oil and raised to the rec level so Im off to test her out.

Hope it works for ya airwreck and me 2 I hate noises of any kind when Im riding exept for my srcreams of bliss yelliung down the trail, may the fork gods smile on us so we can go big or go home

Yeahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    Last edited by trailadvent; 12-27-2006 at 09:20 PM.
    Just riding a muddy trail. . ..

MAXXIS 4C!
    Helmet for your neck

Leatt FAQs

mtbr member
    I had the oil changed in my fork-once, and it's acted strange ever since. One time I couldn't get the fork to extend-something like what you described; I thought I was cooked for sure. I kept fooling with it (like you) and all of a sudden it pressured up and extended to 170mm; it's worked fine ever since; I've had it for just over a year. But sometimes it looks like it's extending to 170mm at 35-45lbs in the negative chamber; but I'm thinking that might be the pump; I'm thinking your fork will be fine-at least I hope so. BTW, what happened to the exchange / replacement deal that Marzocchi had; you turn in a fork and they give you credit on a trade?

MK_
    carpe maņana
    Hey airwreck, what a mess, how's the fork these days? There is a fairly easy fix for the broken compression knob problem: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=255540.

Has the fork become more reliable for you?

_MK

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not just surrounded by a*holes

Members who have read this thread: 0