$950 Burner, but was your #2 choice?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

$950 Burner, but was your #2 choice?

How many bought the Burner from Supergo, and how many would not have purchased it if not for the price?
    That said, what was your #2 (or #1 before Burner sale) choice in the way of a 4"-ish xc fs frame?
    I am thisclose to buying an 04 Burner with the 3-way (Supergo or Larry), but being the cheap and overanalytical bastard that I am, I'm looking to be talked into it and no hold out for a barely-used Racer-X or something similar.

FYI, my shop sponsor gives us a "whopping" 30% off msrp (puke), and I can get another NRS frame for way less than the Burner, but I've owned an NRS and don't like how it acts half the time. I had the Jamis xlt 2 and it was too much travel and not enough customer service: broke the frame 4 times and it took 4 months to figure it all out, and that's why I'm passing on a $530 Jamis XC Pro frame.

So is the Burner deal by far the best thing going out there for my aforementioned needs even though it costs considerably more than the NRS and XC Pro?

Lay off the Levers
    Honestly, it looks like you answered all your own questions.

The Racer-X is a very different kind of bike...what kind of riding do you have in mind? If you are really looking for a solid med-travel trailbike you can't do better than a $950 Burner. If you are planning on racing, the RX will be snappier.

It all depends on what you want from the ride.
    Faster is better, even when it's not.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I bought the Burner for $950 but before I found it for that price my second choice was the Azonic propulsion. Why? It, like the Turner Burner, has a true Horst link suspension licensed from Specialized. The Horst is the ****.

mtbr member

decisions, decisions

I was holding out for a Specialized Stumjumper Pro and probably would have waited til fall to find a closeout on the model year. That's part of the reason I went with the Turner - same overall configuration - FSR suspension and similar travel. The Stumpy retails for 2500$. I've built up my Burner for far less - and I consider it to be a superior frame - much less lateral flex in the rear triangle (due to bushings and square tubing?). Made in the US, and the customer service is far better. I still think the Stumpy is a sweet bike, but I wouldn't trade it for the Burner.

I test rode a RacerX round the parking lot, and liked it fine (for riding in a parking lot). Titus makes a great bike - with no budget I'd have considered a Switchblade. I liked the SC Blur as well, but prefer the Horst link to VPP. Whatever.

Bottom line - you'll love a Burner. You'll love a RacerX. There will only be fine points of difference in the degree with which you love them and in what manner. How can we talk you into a bike when we don't really even know you? I can't even talk my riding buddies into or out of a purchase - once they've made up their minds, they're made up. So make up yours, and ride it and love it. Best of luck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The Romic Rocker thread was interesting, but the price (assuming it'll be at least $100) would push the $950 before shipping Burner to about the same price as I can get a Racer X 100 (or whatever the 100mm frame is) at 30% off retail. Crap, now I'm even more wishy washy.

Pants!
    I was really looking at a Trek Fuel to replace my Klien Attitude. Not because of the Trek name, but rather because its what my preferred LBS sells. The local shop (Race Pace) has always treated me like a king. In fact both local shops I visit treat me really well (the other LBS being Catonsville Bike Shop). They both are a credit to the bicycle business.

I honestly felt bad (still do) that I didn't replace my hardtail with a purchase from Race Pace. They have been nothing but helpful in getting parts and offering advise with the Burner. They are the first people I turn to for help and they have always been there.

With the savings from buying the Burner I'll be buying a nice road bike locally. Maybe even a higher end Trek. Again, not because its a Trek or that Lance Armstrong won a race on it, but rather its form my LBS.
    Matthew
    God, grant me the courage to sell my car.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I'm currently in waffle mode myself, between switching all the parts from my 2001 Stumpy Pro hardtail to a Burner frame, or selling the 01 bike and buying a new Stumpy FSR.

The Stumpy is appealing because I could get the nice Fox shocks in addition to the other all new parts. I hate the SID Xc on my current bike, so I would have to cough up for a fork if I got the Burner. No way I can afford an aftermarket Fox, would probably choose a 2003 Black on sale or a Marz MX.

The Burner is appealing because it is a bomb-proof US made frame with just a bit slacker head tube angle. At 5'10" I am right on the M-L cusp so a slightly more relaxed head angle and inch longer wheelbase would be nice. Also, I've always had Specialized bikes, which in some ways is like buying a Honda they are so common.

I'm on a budget so I've been leaning toward the Stumpy option the last few days. But it sounds like with the backlog with Shimano parts, the dealers are quickly running out of bikes. If my LBS is to be believed, there will not be much in the way of year end close-outs.

So maybe I will wind up with a Burner by default.

Signed,

The Waffler

Quote Originally Posted by DLine
    I was holding out for a Specialized Stumjumper Pro and probably would have waited til fall to find a closeout on the model year. That's part of the reason I went with the Turner - same overall configuration - FSR suspension and similar travel. The Stumpy retails for 2500$. I've built up my Burner for far less - and I consider it to be a superior frame - much less lateral flex in the rear triangle (due to bushings and square tubing?). Made in the US, and the customer service is far better. I still think the Stumpy is a sweet bike, but I wouldn't trade it for the Burner.

I test rode a RacerX round the parking lot, and liked it fine (for riding in a parking lot). Titus makes a great bike - with no budget I'd have considered a Switchblade. I liked the SC Blur as well, but prefer the Horst link to VPP. Whatever.

Bottom line - you'll love a Burner. You'll love a RacerX. There will only be fine points of difference in the degree with which you love them and in what manner. How can we talk you into a bike when we don't really even know you? I can't even talk my riding buddies into or out of a purchase - once they've made up their minds, they're made up. So make up yours, and ride it and love it. Best of luck.

Start slow and taper off
    Feb 2004

Turner was #1

I got mine when I noticed a small crack on my last frame (a 98 Chuck FS, which I originally got back in 98 instead of a Turner because the wait time was shorter). The Chuck had 4.5 inches of travel, and after riding a current Burner and 5ver, the less travel (and slightly less weight) was more what I was looking for. In the end I wanted a Turner, and yes, my wallet did like the Burner price better, but at the particular point in my life I'm at right now, the Burner felt more right under me regardless of price. A few years ago and I would've gotten the 5ver, but then a few years ago my second bike was a downhill rig with 8 inches of travel and more times than not rode a ski lift to ride bikes. These days my second bike is a steel softtail with an inch of travel that I ride on rail trails, the road or less technical places, and the Burner goes everywhere else. And man do I love this bike.

So to answer your question, Turner was first choice, and after checking out both the 5ver and the Burner based on what I wanted in a ride (and not price), the Burner won.

Good luck choosing!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by riverrat
    I'm currently in waffle mode myself, between switching all the parts from my 2001 Stumpy Pro hardtail to a Burner frame, or selling the 01 bike and buying a new Stumpy FSR.
    Possible scenario:
    Burner Frame - 950$ (+shipping - my total was 991.00)
    XT Group - approx 1000$ (cambria offers one for 899)
    Fox Float 100RLC Fork 500-600$ (pricepoint, jenson, supergo, etc.)

2600$ Total. Same retail as the Stumpy Pro - similar parts spec. Obviously, labor would factor in if you don't build it yourself, and the cost on the build kit can vary wildly depending on preference.

Check with Larry (Ventanarama) at mountainhighcyclery.com as well. I understand he's running a deal on the Burner - and it'd be better to throw money his way than at Supergo or an online discounter.

Just something to consider...
    Last edited by DLine; 06-09-2004 at 08:52 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm fortunate in that at least I have everything to slap on the new frame, including my beloved F100X fork.

Don't forget shipping on the $950 frame.
    I bet someone could fine a great 100mm fork for $400 on ebay. I think the F100X is going for $450 in some lucky instances.

Quote Originally Posted by DLine
    Possible scenario:
    Burner Frame - 950$
    XT Group - approx 1000$ (cambria offers one for 899)
    Fox Float 100RLC Fork 500-600$ (pricepoint, jenson, supergo, etc.)

2550$ Total. Same retail as the Stumpy Pro - similar parts spec. Obviously, labor would factor in if you don't build it yourself, and the cost on the build kit can vary wildly depending on preference.

Check with Larry (Ventanarama) at mountainhighcyclery.com as well. I understand he's running a deal on the Burner - and it'd be better to throw money his way than at Supergo or an online discounter.

Just something to consider...

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    You could do better than that:

Frame from Larry $950
    Pricepoint LX/Avid Mechanic Build $599 (Larry could probably do something similar)
    Marzocchi MX Comp Eta or Pro from Larry $250-300

Total Cost $1800-1900 plus shipping
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by danK
    That said, what was your #2 (or #1 before Burner sale) choice in the way of a 4"-ish xc fs frame?
    Prior to the Supergo pricing I was looking for an XCE. When I couldn't find one and the price dropped on the Burners I placed an order. Ironically while I was waiting for my order to be filled on the Burner I found an XCE in mint condition on Ebay. Burner vs. XCE = six to one, half a dozen to another.