What was that email about? 3.19.2019?- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

What was that email about? 3.19.2019?

I'm on the email list and they sent out an email about something "revolutionary" comparing it to "carbon frames"... what could possibly be that big?

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    My guess is a new frame material

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    All I could see was the following from Trek

A change like this comes once every 30 years

On 20 March, weíre unveiling something that will change cycling forever

Couldn't see anything about materials, but the back ground was a green weave pattern

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    What was that email about? 3.19.2019?-trek.png

Screen shot from Trek Facebook page

Not a role model
    What's in the bottom left corner?

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    What was that email about? 3.19.2019?-marquee.jpg

Picture from the email

Not a role model
    Well, whatever it is, it probably ticks all boxes and has much less compromise than what we're currently dealing with. High tech bringing high performance to mainstream price points, replacing all other materials, scalable to high volume? Something they can't bring out fast enough to the public?

The teaser reminds me of isogrid. Maybe it's some lattice of carbon fiber reinforced thermoplastic, that happens to be stable in direct sunlight, and can be manufactured through automation. Recyclable, maybe even producible through recycled material, if it uses short strand carbon that can be injection or co-molded?

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    With all the recent backlash against carbon and it's inability to be efficiently recycled I think @ninjichor maybe onto something. ??A material with the properties of carbon fibre that can be 100% recycled when it's no longer need ??

mtbr member since 1996
    environmentally friendly frame material that is stronger and lighter than carbon (not cheaper....it has to be pricey to be "good" in consumer's minds). If it is cheaper too...wow, good for Trek to not mark it up for sheer new/cool sales tactics.

It looks to be some kind of fiber/weave (recycled plastic? ABS?) with some kind of skeleton type structure. A multi-ply synthetic bike frame material that is environmentally friendly? To tick the "environmentally friendly" box it would have to be made from recycled materials. I don't see how they could make that claim by making new raw plastic from dyno-juice.

I suspect Santa Cruz, Yeti, etc who are all in on $$$$ carbon are nervous.
    My Wife's Channel for Women - LadyMTB

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I figured new frame material. It would make sense they are shooting for recycled/recyclable, BUT if it is only top of the line price then it isn't that revolutionary. It would need to be throughout the line up, at least down to mid range pricing to make much of a difference.

Not a role model
    I dunno about being lighter than carbon, but there's tons of other values that can be improved which lightweight carbon construction compromised on.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Yay! Another miniscule performance improvement that the sheep just GOTTA have!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed View Post

mtbr member since 1996
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed View Post
    Trek is really making a big deal about this. I doubt they would do so if it wasnít significant. If it is a marginal improvement then their credibility takes a huge hit.

Plus, it is about time for a new frame material. Seems reasonable to think with todayís tech they really do have something significant.

Not a role model
    Quote Originally Posted by zgxtreme View Post
    Ugh. I was happy when SRAM changed their slogan to something similar to that ("Incremental enhancements. Perpetual improvements..."), because it gave me more reason to consider alternatives. Before that, I was citing their ridiculous aftermarket MSRPs as the main reason to voluntarily boycott. xD

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Trek is really making a big deal about this. I doubt they would do so if it wasnít significant. If it is a marginal improvement then their credibility takes a huge hit.

Plus, it is about time for a new frame material. Seems reasonable to think with todayís tech they really do have something significant.
    Carbon fiber has made a huge impact on my life. It's made aluminum cheaper for me to be able to afford better components to hang off my aluminum frame, hehehe.

mtbr member
    I'm trying to think, historically, what single thing has changed cycling ever since? It is kind of subjective. For many things that some say are huge, I often can't detect a difference. Anyway...maybe the pneumatic tire? the derailleur? Suspension changed mtbing, but that wasn't one thing. It evolved over decades. Frame materials offered some benefits and choices, but didn't really change the nature of cycling...you can still ride steel or aluminum if CF didn't exist. Clipless pedals? You can still ride toe clips if you want to be attached to your pedals.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure whatever they announce, it won't live up to the hype.
    Do the math.

Up In Smoke
    More plastic? A bike made of hemp?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Something 7.23454% stiffer than something unspecified, as measured by Trek's own labs using methods that the marketing people assure us we don't need to know and also that stiffness is VERY IMPORTANT to the 90% of us who ride for fun and are not at the limit of our current gear in any way.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    It would be nice to see a greater level of cynicism in this thread.

C'mon, you can do better. Dig deep!
    Whining is not a strategy.

Not a role model
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillipJ View Post
    Something 7.23454% stiffer than something unspecified, as measured by Trek's own labs using methods that the marketing people assure us we don't need to know and also that stiffness is VERY IMPORTANT to the 90% of us who ride for fun and are not at the limit of our current gear in any way.
    You mean laterally and torsionally stiffer? Trends are all about adding vertical compliance to everything. I'd be disappointed if noise, vibration, and harshness reduction wasn't a big part of this release.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    It's a dropper stem. It's gotta be. Make it a foot longer for climbing, them shorten it up for descending.

Ya know since we can't ride now without dropper posts. Oh crap, I forgot...I don't have one of those either.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015

mtbr member
    Jan 2015

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    It would be nice to see a greater level of cynicism in this thread.

Ok, its made with fecal transplant.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    The weave in that looks very similar.. it'd be great if this version of carbon material is as impact resistant as claimed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JonJones View Post
    The weave in that looks very similar.. it'd be great if this version of carbon material is as impact resistant as claimed.
    Now this could make me finally buy a plastic bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjichor View Post
    You mean laterally and torsionally stiffer?

Details are unimportant. You just need to be impressed by the innovation and understand that your current bike is now not fun and you need a new one.

mtbr member since 1996
    Graphene is another possibility. However not enviro friendly so Iím skeptical.

https://youtu.be/FaKl3OymFy4

300g frames and built in circuitry are possible.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by khardrunner14 View Post
    I figured new frame material. It would make sense they are shooting for recycled/recyclable, BUT if it is only top of the line price then it isn't that revolutionary. It would need to be throughout the line up, at least down to mid range pricing to make much of a difference.
    All the 'revolutionary' stuff starts at the top and trickles down. Carbon fiber used to be only the top couple models, now it's almost the full specialized stumpjumper range (as an example). A fork like a Lyrik would only be a high end bike, now you can find them midrange, etc. It will come down to the mid range in time.

Quote Originally Posted by ninjichor View Post
    Ugh. I was happy when SRAM changed their slogan to something similar to that ("Incremental enhancements. Perpetual improvements..."), because it gave me more reason to consider alternatives. Before that, I was citing their ridiculous aftermarket MSRPs as the main reason to voluntarily boycott. xD
    Sort of depends on what you consider incremental. 1x drivetrains are incremental on their own. So are droppers. 1x and droppers together have freed up a lot of design space for short rear ends and modern angles. Long and slack is incremental, but when you ride a 10 year old bike back to back with a modern one it's huge. I know you know a lot more about the details of this than I do- just big picturing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    I'm trying to think, historically, what single thing has changed cycling ever since? It is kind of subjective. For many things that some say are huge, I often can't detect a difference. Anyway...maybe the pneumatic tire? the derailleur? Suspension changed mtbing, but that wasn't one thing. It evolved over decades. Frame materials offered some benefits and choices, but didn't really change the nature of cycling...you can still ride steel or aluminum if CF didn't exist. Clipless pedals? You can still ride toe clips if you want to be attached to your pedals.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure whatever they announce, it won't live up to the hype.
    I've got to think the real angle has to be environmental, the one big issue that cycling is under attack for is CF being pretty bad for the environment, particularly in the regions that most CF products are made- this stuff may be lighter and stronger, but if it's then environmentally sound they can tout that as a big deal.

I don't know- just trying to be positive and realistic at the same time, which hurts my head as I trend toward cynicism myself.

mtbr member
    I don't think frame recyclability "changes cycling." It just changes throwing them away, right?
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I don't think it's the recycling of the frame itself thats the issue, it's all the waste from the buildup. When they cut all the fabric shapes for the layup- about 1/4 to 1/3 of the fabric ends up going in the garbage. I'm not a big time environmentalist or anything- I've just seen a lot of articles attacking the process. Seems like an issue that ripe to set itself apart from competitors.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Well, let's face it, we all know that companies overhype things regularly.Doesn't make it right, but it happens all the time. I'm just hoping that it will be of some significance to the industry. Even if it's just a slightly lower environmental impact, I think it's a good thing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Part of the success of any manufacturer is their relationship with the dealer network, regardless of technological improvements. After all, content and context are integrally intertwined. Bontrager just announced its new relationship with REI. If Trek products (which include Bontrager) wind up at REI, this will be a very bad thing for the prestige of the Trek brand, no matter how special their new "materials" might be. It will be viewed by many as a gimmick.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I'm going with a new "standard" of 147.739 rear hub spacing, Pressfit 93.7
    bottom bracket and 36.3 mm handlebars and stems.

mtbr member
    An E-bike you don't have to pedal!

Not a role model
    Trek OCLV was available in 1992 (27 years ago), after heavily investing in carbon manufacturing infrastructure.

Another heavy investment in expansion to account for a new manufacturing process?

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Looks like kevlar weave to me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I don't know what it's about, but I do know I got the email about a dozen times, each in a different language.
    -DC, just some XC Bum in Sfla...

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    it would be nice to see a greater level of cynicism in this thread.

lol

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Yes, finally!

The integrated foldable kicker ramp that fits into your downtube!
    Glad Trek found a way to make it happen with new materials!

Project S.W.E.A.T - specially woven ejection aireal tool

(better?!)

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    That will most probably be it then, looks the same as the advertising and the article says it's working with bike manufacturers.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Up In Smoke
    Mitch@Trek

Spill the beans, give us the MTBr exclusive, we can keep it on the down low for a few weeks.

Community Manager at Trek
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    Mitch@Trek

Spill the beans, give us the MTBr exclusive, we can keep it on the down low for a few weeks.
    Who's Mitch@Trek
    Community Manager | Trek Bicycle Corporation | www.trekbikes.com

Up In Smoke
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch@Trek View Post
    Who's Mitch@Trek
    Don't make me call your boss!

By the way, do you have their name and number?

Community Manager at Trek
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    Don't make me call your boss!

By the way, do you have their name and number?
    Those are trade secrets and all our names are actually code names. Just like this teaser we released Let's just say, it is something for everyone and it will change a standard that has been accepted for years. That is all I can and shall say until the 19th!
    Community Manager | Trek Bicycle Corporation | www.trekbikes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrIcky View Post
    I don't think it's the recycling of the frame itself thats the issue, it's all the waste from the buildup. When they cut all the fabric shapes for the layup- about 1/4 to 1/3 of the fabric ends up going in the garbage. I'm not a big time environmentalist or anything- I've just seen a lot of articles attacking the process. Seems like an issue that ripe to set itself apart from competitors.
    Sounds like they're about 8 years ahead of you ...

https://www.compositesworld.com/news...-in-first-year

From the article:

Since April of 2011, all manufacturing scraps, non-compliant frame components and select reclaimed warranty frames have undergone processing at MIT's South Carolina facility for repurposing in reinforced thermoplastic applications, including aerospace, automotive, medical and recreational applications.

Not a role model
    Well, time to forget this for 2 weeks so I don't end up uselessly speculating.

New material, but a return of the Y bike (BB on the main frame, not swingarm), but instead of the seatmast being fixed, it's on a linkage that can be remotely changed to adjust seat position and retract out of the way. No seatpost, just a saddle attached to it, that's long and allows you to slide forward and back to whatever effective STA you want.

Crazy ideas like that pop up. xD

monster member
    What would be awesome is for someone to figure out a plastic that can be injection-molded with the strength and toughness of CF. The manual labor of CF is a killer. That combined with the constant question of consistency when a human is laying up CF. So, despite companies running to China, unfortunately, for cheap labor rates, they still have to price things to probably throw away about 10% of parts.

Anyway, I know a lot of other polymer companies are working on the same thing, so maybe someone figured something out and Trek is trying it. (No way that Trek invented some new polymer... they'd just work on using some new polymer from someone else, for their bicycle application.)
    Have fun!

Not a role model

mtbr member
    Given the history of Lemond and Trek, we can cross that one off the list of possible Trek announcements

mtbr member
    Giant must have made this discovery first as they make trek. Even the us made madone and downhill have to use offshore carbon

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch@Trek View Post
    it will change a standard that has been accepted for years

yay...???