Upgrading brakes on my EX8...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Upgrading brakes on my EX8...

I am planning on upgrading my brakes on my EX8 from the Avid Juicy 5 and am looking for some advice. Was thinking possibly the Avid Elixir CR as you can get some good deals on the 2010's right now ( i have seen all the reviews about the noise and such).

Any one else have any ideas in and around that price range? Also i'm thinking of going 185mm in the front and rear, should i be going bigger? i weigh approx. 210lbs with my gear and do singletrack mainly with a few trips down some mountains.
    Current Rides:
    Trek Stache

mtbr member
    I am running Juicys on my EX now, had noise issues with them. I ride with others running Elixirs of all models; Shimano; Formula; Hayes; Magura you name it. Bottom line is alignment and they all make noise - I don't care who you are.
    With my Juicys I had to rebuild them, replaced the OEM seals with new seals and totally flushed and upgraded my brake fluid to a DOT 5 (not 5.1 as recommended). And now my brakes work great and noise is minimal. When it starts to get bad, I clean & realign them. It's been 4 months and about 500 miles later and haven't had to re-bleed them either.
    What the Elixirs WILL get you is a better modulation where the Juicys are grabby, you have more control at your fingers with the Elixirs and easier adjustability - so I too would like to upgrade to them and increase my rear rotor to 185 because that is another area I found will cause noise, the smaller rotor heats up faster because more pressure is required to stop, heat causes warp-age and that causes misalignment. The other area of improvement is going from organic pads to metallic (for me). I'm doing the same as you, going to 185mm x 2 and Elixir CRs. While they aren't the very best made, for the price Avid is still the best all round deal in disk brakes.
    2010 Fuel EX9: Eat Paleo, Feel Great!
    Dirt is Natural, Pavement is Un-natural, Stay Dirty My Friends!

mtbr member
    good analysis of the brakes Cutbert.... whats the best deal you have seen for these brakes? best i've seen so far is from pricepoint
    Current Rides:
    Trek Stache

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Shimano XT is the way I would go. The price is
    good, they are easy to set up and they work great.

Best, John

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl
    Shimano XT is the way I would go. The price is
    good, they are easy to set up and they work great.

Best, John
    i'm not the biggest fan of Shimano products in all honesty... i'm looking to rid my bike of them right now. i don't think i've ever had a Shimano product fail but i just haven't had the best luck with them...
    Current Rides:
    Trek Stache

mtbr member
    Yeah, Pricepoint is great for low pricing, sometimes check out http://www.treefortbikes.com/ as well because they'll run a price match or lowest price match on items. I've had great results with Pricepoint and their Sette products (shoes, handlebars, seats & hydration packs).

Shimano is definitely on the cutting edge of technology and precision products and I like the XTR brakes with cooling fins (heatsinks), I'm not too crazy about the idea of mineral oil as my brake fluid though.
    2010 Fuel EX9: Eat Paleo, Feel Great!
    Dirt is Natural, Pavement is Un-natural, Stay Dirty My Friends!

Members who have read this thread: 0