Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    DFL
    Looking for a new bike for my son, and this bike has me intrigued. It seems like overall everyone is happy with their bikes. A couple upgrades that I would do as well are a new fork, and XT brakes. My two biggest concerns are the Boost 141 and the STA. I know this is hard to say, but I am buying the bike for a 15 year old, what is the resale going to look like in a couple years with the proprietary "standard?" How does the relatively slack STA affect pedaling? His current bike with XC geo has a 73ļ STA, and I'm looking hard at the Big Honzo with it's 75ļ STA. The cost is a big driving factor in me continuing to look at the Roscoe compared to other bikes out there.

How is this bike descending? One of the driving forces in my looking for a new bike for him is that we are going to Dupont and Pisgah for 8 days of riding this summer, and his current bike with XC geometry won't work.
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Definitely upgrade the brakes. I swapped out a lot of components on mine straight away. I have heard the forks actually work pretty well though. As for the Boost 141. There really isn't much to worry about as its just 148 x 12 with qr end caps. I am running a set of Hope 35W wheels. Can't say I have thought much about the STA as its the first hardtail I've had in about 8 years. I feel it climbs great. I live in Fort Bill so we do have our fair share of proper mountains. I did put a longer fork on mine and it raked it out a little bit. I am tempted to put an angle set headset on it. Truth be told one of the main reasons I bought the bike because of the colour :-/ Resale?? When I was 15 you couldn't have given my old bike away :-D

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by askibum02 View Post
    Looking for a new bike for my son, and this bike has me intrigued. It seems like overall everyone is happy with their bikes. A couple upgrades that I would do as well are a new fork, and XT brakes. My two biggest concerns are the Boost 141 and the STA. I know this is hard to say, but I am buying the bike for a 15 year old, what is the resale going to look like in a couple years with the proprietary "standard?" How does the relatively slack STA affect pedaling? His current bike with XC geo has a 73ļ STA, and I'm looking hard at the Big Honzo with it's 75ļ STA. The cost is a big driving factor in me continuing to look at the Roscoe compared to other bikes out there.

How is this bike descending? One of the driving forces in my looking for a new bike for him is that we are going to Dupont and Pisgah for 8 days of riding this summer, and his current bike with XC geometry won't work.

So like others have responded, upgrading brakes isnt a bad idea. It's next on my list. Stock brakes beaded in nicely and work, and would be just fine for your son. As far as resale goes, thats always tough. I cant see selling it less than $700usd in a few years stock. I think Bike Blue Book is a crock of spit only intended to help dealers value. As I digress... The X-Cal is the exact same frame as the Roscoe, difference being 100mm fork and 29er. That affects the geo enough to take this frame from Trail to XC. Wee Eck isn't wrong, the stock fork is not too bad on the 8, but I put a 120mm Fox 32 on mine and love it. I ride ski hills as part of my local singletrack and this thing can go down as easy-if not easier as it goes up. Maybe even put a 20 or 30mm rise bar on it for him to get him back more but the 71* STA feels good.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TermiLVR7 View Post
    Has anyone had a growling/humming/resonance sound from the rear hub? This is only heard when the rear wheel is coasting in a stand. Iím guessing itís bearing related. Bike has zero miles on it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I had this on my Roscoe 7 after about a month of use. Trek replaced the freehub under warranty and its been fine since.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Totally normal for those hubs been used forever. I went through 3 freehubs on my 29er before they got tired of sending me wheels and credited me towards a new wheel (which wasnt much but they tried at least).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

mtbr member
    I have somehow managed to scratch the paint off part of my chainstay, any one know if Trek has orange touch up paint available? or if not what the best type of paint would be to touch it up?
    My MTB adventures! Subscribe & Like!

http://toogyhowsermtb.com

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    No they dont and its the first of many scratches. Its a mountain bike. You can always use automotive touch up paint. Truly though, just get used to it. Otherwise your going to be messing with touching it up more than riding it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

DFL
    Picked up a Roscoe for my son yesterday. Bike shop set it up tubeless, he put on the Chesters from his old bike, and I'm going to swap out the rotors for Ice Techs. I may or may not swap out the XT brakes from my bike on to his and upgrade mine, but that's about it. I considered upgrading him to a Fox Rhythm 34, but I really don't think he needs it. If it was me, absolutely, but he is only 140 lbs. Thoughts on that?
    IMG_2197 by Brett Valentine, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Toogy View Post
    I have somehow managed to scratch the paint off part of my chainstay, any one know if Trek has orange touch up paint available? or if not what the best type of paint would be to touch it up?
    Nail Varnish. Use clear or see what you can find in the color sections. You'll probably get a close match, and it will only set you back like 5 bucks.

mtbr member
    Does anyone know off hand how much travel the dropper post has? Iím thinking itís 125 or 150? Just have someone asking me and my bike isnít handy to measure

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Does anyone know off hand how much travel the dropper post has? Iím thinking itís 125 or 150? Just have someone asking me and my bike isnít handy to measure
    Late answer but wanted to share anyway.
    The dropper post differs between the frame sizes:

15.5" - 100mm
    17.5/18.5" - 120mm
    19.5/21.5/23"- 130mm

I want to trow in another question regarding the dropper post; Does anyone else notice a lot of play in the seatpost? My Roscoe is just two weeks old and have maybe 30 miles on it, and the dropper has som play in it already(both radial and axial).
    Not sure if it's worth to claim warranty because i ordred the bike online and it would probably require sending the seatpost back.
    Mtb beginner from Sweden!
    Trek Roscoe 8 2018

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info! yeah my dropper seems to have a little play in it. Don't really notice it while riding though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Any 6'+ owners?

I'm 6'1" - 33 1/2" inseam. I bought a 19.5 but I had to use a 410mm setback seatpost and my seat is all the way back on the rails and it feels too small.

Curious what size tall owners bought.

mtbr member
    I'm 6'2"1/2 and I'm on a 21.5 and it fits me perfectly!

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Thanks for the info! yeah my dropper seems to have a little play in it. Don't really notice it while riding though.
    Yeah, i haven't noticed it when riding either! As long as it doesn't get any worse i'll be ok with it.
    Trek Roscoe 8 2018

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I'm 6'2"1/2 and I'm on a 21.5 and it fits me perfectly!
    That's good to hear.

I had my LBS get a 21.5 for me and it should be in tomorrow or Friday for me to test out. I was worried that maybe I needed a 23 since Trek uses virtual.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by RRsRRs; 05-19-2018 at 04:30 PM.

mtbr member
    I think the 21.5 will be perfect

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I think the 21.5 will be perfect
    What's the length of your stock stem...is it still 60mm?

mtbr member
    Yeah itís still stock

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    So update on my backorder . Called shop yesterday at 1130 no updates on when it might ship. So today I live chat trek and they ask which retailer and I tell them , they show no backorder bikes for the shop . They suggest call the shop and ask . I called around 3 today and the same guy i talked to yesterday answers says yep we got a tracking number around 4 yesterday and the bike will be here Tuesday. Heck yeah! So 2 months to the day since I ordered it will be here but this was original est ship date . They said they will have it built as soon as they can . Super excited now . Hope to have some pictures when it shows up

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I found a 19.5 Roscoe 8 at the Trek store in Berkeley, CA yesterday. They have a few more 8s in stock if anyone is looking for one.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    So I picked the bike up Wednesday morning. Before I left,the shop got the suspension set for my weight showed me and showed me the rebound adjustment . They had it setup tubeless at my request we set the pressure at 20 and I found a trail I lowered the presure soon after hitting the trail . Wow this bike is awesome . Brakes are not the best but they work for me now . Dropper was selling point and I'm so glad I got it . I have questions about the air pressure folks are running in their tires . Of course mine are still stock rocket rons . I'll post pictures as soon as figure out how off my phone

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    About the brakes on the 8 - make sure you take the time to bed the pads in properly. The brakes feel kind of weak at first, but after bedding them in they feel a lot more powerful.

This is my first hardtail (only ridden FS). It's a different animal for sure. Gotta be a lot more aware/careful of speed and line choice. Great for climbing, bombing fire roads, and smooth flowy trails though.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Brakes definitely have gotten better after a few rides and a bedding in . I just wish they had a little more adjustability in the levers . Can you change just the levers and not the calipers ? But so far this bike it's an absolute blast to ride

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jottinger View Post
    So I picked the bike up Wednesday morning. Before I left,the shop got the suspension set for my weight showed me and showed me the rebound adjustment . They had it setup tubeless at my request we set the pressure at 20 and I found a trail I lowered the presure soon after hitting the trail . Wow this bike is awesome . Brakes are not the best but they work for me now . Dropper was selling point and I'm so glad I got it . I have questions about the air pressure folks are running in their tires . Of course mine are still stock rocket rons . I'll post pictures as soon as figure out how off my phone
    Congrats! I put on 15 miles today after slapping on XT brakes and IceTech rotors Friday night. I had been managing with those stock brakes until two weeks ago where they did not have enough stopping power for the ski hill I was riding. It was one of those rides where I was so frustrated it was hard to enjoy (Which NEVER happens!) XTs are great but that set me back another $250. You will use that Dropper more than your shifter! Don't give up on the rocket rons! Today I ran 14psi rear, 12.5 up front with sandy and hardpacked singletrack and it was a bit too hard. Going down 1psi each next ride. I have maxxis minions on mine from winter yet (Wisconsin) and the weight and rolling resistance makes me want to put a Ron in the back and a Nobby Nick up front. The stock tires aren't bad at all.

mtbr member
    That's interesting to hear about the stock tires, I was pretty set on getting a Set of Minions DHF/DHRII as my next tires this fall. Mainly cause they get great reviews and look badass!!

mtbr member
    Having some fun with the Roscoe 8!!

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Great video Toogy. Has the Roscoe been holding up good? I really want one but they are impossible to find.

mtbr member
    It's been holding up great! other than a bent derailleur hanger that I tried to straighten and broke it haha. Got a new one and it's actually shifting better than ever now.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    misuderstood post lined my bad
    Last edited by ekun; 07-10-2018 at 04:40 PM. Reason: misundersttod

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Love mine too. Only upgrade I'm considering is Eagle GX, because I end up climbing a lot on this bike.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    So I'm looking to get new cranks for my Roscoe, but not sure what to get!
    I just want shorter cranks so im looking at NX, and i found two variants - BB30 or GXP.

Can you guys help me understand which set i need to get?
    Trek Roscoe 8 2018

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I'm sure others will chime in, but the frame has a threaded bottom bracket, so you'll need the GXP version. The stock cranks come with the splined bottom bracket so you'll need the cranks and a new GXP bottom bracket also. Good luck.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by huytuan123 View Post
    I'm sure others will chime in, but the frame has a threaded bottom bracket, so you'll need the GXP version. The stock cranks come with the splined bottom bracket so you'll need the cranks and a new GXP bottom bracket also. Good luck.
    Not very easy to find information about this on the internet it seems!

I emailed Trek and they just replied that the Roscoe comes with a Powerspline BB, and that i should let my LBS sort this for me.

So i spent some more time investigating and what i gathered is the following;
    Standard BB is a Truative 73mm, BSA-threaded one with Powerspline-fitting for the cranks. The aftermarket for Powerspline cranks seems to be zero.
    I need to get a new BB (73mm, BSA) with GXP-fitting.

But one thing that still confuses me is the boost-thing, are the chainline boost handled by the crankset or the chainring? Is it correct that Roscoe uses boost +3mm?

Edit: Actually, it could be a better option to go for DUB mount. Sram has GX eagle DUB cranksets in 165mm length with or without boost, with direct mount chainring.
    With such crankset i should be able to mount my 28T chainring from the Roscoe. Of course i would need a BSA/73mm BB compatible with DUB.

Now i only need to find out if i want 49 or 52mm chainline for the Roscoe.
    Last edited by Malte; 08-22-2018 at 05:20 AM.
    Trek Roscoe 8 2018

DFL
    I bought my son a Roscoe 8 last year now Iím thinking about one for myself. My biggest concern is the Boost 141. Is there an appreciable amount of flex vs. 12x148? The bike is fine for my sonís 160 pound but I weigh 250. Iím also wondering about the fork and wheels. How stiff are the wheels? I had a Bronson with Raceface ARC 27 and they flexed all over the place. I ended up replacing them with carbon wheels. I would replace the fork for sure with either a Yari or Fox 34 Performance. If I replace the fork and hubs at a minimum do I end up killing any savings over a more expensive better specíd bike like a Chameleon R+or a Fuse Expert?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adobo Lover
    I would probably go for the Santa Cruz instead of parting out the Roscoe. I think your right about the savings lost. Plus, if you really need burlier wheels your not limited to Hope rear hubs (I believe there is another hub manufacturer that makes a conversion to 141, I just don't remember who).

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by 95Stumpy View Post
    I would probably go for the Santa Cruz instead of parting out the Roscoe. I think your right about the savings lost. Plus, if you really need burlier wheels your not limited to Hope rear hubs (I believe there is another hub manufacturer that makes a conversion to 141, I just don't remember who).
    There are multiple companies selling compatible hubs. Boost 141 is the same as boost 148 just with the quick release end caps. I know DT Swiss and Bontrager sell the end caps in addition to Hope. I bought new take off carbon wheels with boost 148. Changed the end caps to qr and it bolted right up.

Adobo Lover
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom973 View Post
    There are multiple companies selling compatible hubs. Boost 141 is the same as boost 148 just with the quick release end caps. I know DT Swiss and Bontrager sell the end caps in addition to Hope. I bought new take off carbon wheels with boost 148. Changed the end caps to qr and it bolted right up.
    Thatís good to hear. The last time I looked I only found Hope had a conversion kit and I believe Industry Nine. Thanks!

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    The Rosco 8 is a great bike for the price. I ride mine a lot on mellow trails. If you also have a higher end full suspension bike, the fork and brakes will piss you off after a while. But otherwise, the Roscoe 8 is solid.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Any good fork upgrades for the roscoe 8 2018? I was looking at the fox 34. Also looking to update the brakes as well

Can I push it to a 130mm fork comfortably? I am 6'1" on a 19.5 frame.
    -Nate

Current Bike: 2018 Trek Roscoe 8
    Dream Bike: 2019 Santa Cruz Bronson C S+

mtbr member
    Me again lol
    putting a 130mm fork on the Roscoe just slackens the geometry very slightly, about 0.5 degree, so from 68 to 67.5.
    Makes it a little more aggressive. I lucked out and got a killer deal on an OEM Fox Rhythm 34, but not sure what else it out there, maybe someone else can chime in?

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Me again lol
    putting a 130mm fork on the Roscoe just slackens the geometry very slightly, about 0.5 degree, so from 68 to 67.5.
    Makes it a little more aggressive. I lucked out and got a killer deal on an OEM Fox Rhythm 34, but not sure what else it out there, maybe someone else can chime in?
    This might be a little overkill: https://www.backcountry.com/fox-raci...saAoASEALw_wcB

But im assuming that might work? I might go for a used 130mm pike instead. But 130mm seems like a good travel to add a little slack and still not compromise the geo too much.
    -Nate

Current Bike: 2018 Trek Roscoe 8
    Dream Bike: 2019 Santa Cruz Bronson C S+

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by natejc View Post
    This might be a little overkill: https://www.backcountry.com/fox-raci...saAoASEALw_wcB

But im assuming that might work? I might go for a used 130mm pike instead. But 130mm seems like a good travel to add a little slack and still not compromise the geo too much.
    That will definitely work! Just need to make sure it's 51mm offset which that one is. Maybe take a look on pinkbike, should be some deals on something there I'd imagine.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Hi,

i also own a Trek Roscoe 8, but upgraded some peaces of my bike. For me a 140mm Fork Work great. The slacker Headangle with the 140mm Fork makes it much more funny at the descending. I Love it.

My Upgrades from stock Bike:
    SR Suntour Zeron 140mm Fork
    50mm Nukeproof Stem
    780mm Nukeproof Horizon Carbon bar
    Sram X1 1x11 Shifter (much better than the stock nx)
    SRAM S2200 Carbon Cranks (BB30 long spindle Edition with Rotor BSA30)
    Maxxis Minion DHF / DHR

Next Step is to upgrade the rear derailleur.

Trek Roscoe 650b+-img_20181212_152950-01.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Any recommendations on an upgraded fork for a 2018 Roscoe 7?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Hi!
    I picked up a 2019 Roscoe during the recent Black Friday sale, now that I have a dozen or so rides in on it and here are my impresssions so far;
    First, I'm in the 220-230 range (higher during the Holidays, lol!) and 5'11" with a 32" inseam. I went with the 19.5 and the bike fits like a glove. I ride mainly fire roads and singletrack and nothing too extreme.

The Good;
    The bike is a real bargain for what you get (especially with 20% off!), really like the SRAM drivetrain and everything else just works well. The wheels and tires are heavy, but they roll well and provide a lot of traction, plus really soften the ride (with the bigger tires it almost feels like a softtail). A lot of people complain about the brakes, but after the first few rides and a couple of long downhills they've broken in to the point where I think they're just about perfect. Good stopping power without being grabby, and NO noise! The Roscoe is also a ton of fun to ride, pedals well and handles great.

The OK;
    No getting around the fact that the Roscoe is a heavy bike. I'd say it's in the 33-34 range. You really don't feel it unless you're doing long climbs, it has plenty of traction but you really feel the heavy wheels and tires. Thankfully you have a big cassette in back but it's more relax and spin than aggressive attacking. The fork is just OK, but it works well enough for my use. The only thing I've changed is the seat, and until stuff starts wearing out that will probably be it for the upgrades. I have noticed any issues from the 141 Boost, the bike feels plenty stiff to me.

I rode a bunch of other bikes but it kind of came down to the Stash, Roscoe and the Specialized Chisel. I know a lot of people love the Stash, but I just preferred the way the Roscoe felt, it had more of a 'tossable' feel to it (IMO). I also like the Chisel, but where as the 19.5 Roscoe fit perfectly I felt like I was in between sizes on the L and XL Chisel. Even though the Chisel has a threaded bottom bracket and full boost 148 in the rear I still felt like the Roscoe was stiffer (at least for me), and I really preferred the SRAM drivetrain over the Shimano.

Very happy with the Roscoe so far, it's a ton of fun to ride and if you're looking for a 27.5+ hard tail trail bike you should definitely give it a test ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Just picked up a 21.5" Roscoe 8 today. I'm 6' 2" 260lb right now. Swapped the stock pedals for Race Face Chesters and had the tires switched to tubeless before I picked it up. My LBS knocked 10% off the bike and 15% off the helmet and pedals.

It's been 20+ years since I rode a bike but I can't wait to get out on it and have some fun.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    I picked up a 2019 Roscoe 7 in Sept, so far it's been great. I picked up the 7 because I knew I was going to upgrade some OEM parts. It's currently running sram gx 11 spd, magura mt trail sport brakes and magura sl storm 2 rotors, rockshox pike 140mm( I have the 130 shaft which I will change out soon) and a dt 350 rear hub. So far no complaints.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    I just picked up a 2019 Roscoe 8 for $1000 that some guy bought and used twice and decided he didn't like it.
    Bought some Maxxis tires, DMR Vault pedals an FOX Factory 36's (140mm). Should be a fun little ripper. Haven't decided on what brakes to go with yet.

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    Has anyone found a pre-cut frame protection kit for the Roscoe/ X-Caliber? I looked around and haven't found anything besides a universal kit, but it doesn't really cover what i want.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Has anyone tried a rigid carbon fork with the Roscoe?

Community Manager at Trek
    Quote Originally Posted by scott_tiller View Post
    Has anyone found a pre-cut frame protection kit for the Roscoe/ X-Caliber? I looked around and haven't found anything besides a universal kit, but it doesn't really cover what i want.

Thanks.
    Take a look at All Mountain Style. They're based out of Spain and make precut frame guard in a variety of colors and patterns. It is a PVC honeycomb design so it is quite strong for being so thin. Xavi is the owner and is a good friend of mine!

Quote Originally Posted by buffet View Post
    Has anyone tried a rigid carbon fork with the Roscoe?
    This isn't something we have tested, but all you'd need is to try and keep the axle to crown and rake similar to your stock fork so that your BB height is not affected.
    Community Manager | Trek Bicycle Corporation | www.trekbikes.com

mtbr member
    Hey guys I've really been eyeballing the Roscoe...I have a few questions....

- Is the $340 difference between the 7 and 8 really worth it ? FWIW, I am bascially a new mtn bike rider...I had a bike in the mid 90s with no suspension that I did a little trail riding with...

I see the 8 has a 30t chainring while the 7 has a 28...also 11 vs 10 speed...is that all that big of a difference ?

- Is the brake and derailleur difference much of an issue ?

My LBS has 7's in stock but no 8's...they would have to order them and I have no idea how long that will take....

Lastly, I am 6'1" and my inseam is 32"...What do you think might be the best frame size for me ?

thanks, RB
    ​SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL BIKE SHOP

mtbr member
    Feb 2019
    For the 2019 models, the Roscoe 8 got 1x12 drive train. I believe the 7 is a 1x11.

I'm not 100% sure, but my guess would be they put a 28T front to the front to help with the 1x11.

I am 6'2" and I bought a large. The measurements pretty close to me Trek Remedy 9 and Yeti SB5-LR. It was a hair smaller, but that's what I wanted. I didn't buy it to be an all day rider, just a fun little ripper.

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Regarding size, it's best to test ride to see what you like. I always feel better on larger frames with longer reach, but it's personal preference.

The Roscoe is a good, inexpensive bike to screw around on if the trails are mild. I use mine for fitness rides when the weather and trails are crappy or when I don't want to ride my FS rig.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123