Trek BB90/GXP problems- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Trek BB90/GXP problems

I have a new 2011 Trek 9.8 hardtail. It uses a BB90 bottom bracket and I use Sram cranks. So I purchase the Sram bearing kit and get home to put it on and there is alot of lateral movement. The non drive side crank bearing won't even stay in. I am using a brand new Sram X9 10 speed crankset. I can/will not buy a new crankset or bearings after I just bought a new set.

Has anyone else had this problem with the Sram crankset? and how did you fix it, if you can at all. I am to the point of just selling the frame. I also will attempt to call Trek tomorrow and see what kind of run around they will give me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I had a similar problem with my Madone. Sram Red crank was "loose" on the non-drive side. Sram said spindle was in spec, bearings were in spec, but spindle was on the small side and bearing on the large side, so ended up with a sloppy fit. I ended up selling it and getting a Rotor crankset. Rotor crank meshed perfectly with the bearings. I can't recall how tight the bearings were in the frame, but they could be removed/installed without tools or extreme hand pressure.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    There is a specific bearing/spacer kit for this that most shops don't have in stock-- need from trek. With the spacers/bearings you have, they cranks would likely work fine in a bb95 (vast majority of trek mtbs).

I have a pic of the spacer kit and trek product number, will try to post shortly on break from work

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    My guess is you installed your GXP crank in your hardtail mtb bb90 with kit 404700, which resulted in play. Note that 404700 is for GXP with BB95.

You need kit 415734; which contains bearings (same as other kit I think) with different spacers, specifically for gxp mtb cranks with BB90 bottom brackets.

your trek hardtail, and my carbon top fuel, have bb90 bottom brackets... so I went through this same issue.

Good luck.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trek BB90/GXP problems-2012-02-20_16-26-52_638.jpg  

Trek BB90/GXP problems-mms95picture.jpg  

mtbr member
    Thank you that is good to know, Sadly the Trek dealer said these were the ones I needed. I fixed the problem by installing a drive side bearing out of my GXP BB on the non drive side and installed the washer to fix the spacing. I will definitely will order the bearings to get is correct. the funny thing it list the carbon hardtail to work as well.

UPDATE: Trek does not have this part in any warehouse in the country and no time frame in getting any. I called 15 different dealers to find one and finally the Trek Superstore in San Diego had it. Thank god for him.
    Last edited by danmtchl; 03-22-2012 at 12:50 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by R900 View Post
    I had a similar problem with my Madone. Sram Red crank was "loose" on the non-drive side. Sram said spindle was in spec, bearings were in spec, but spindle was on the small side and bearing on the large side, so ended up with a sloppy fit. I ended up selling it and getting a Rotor crankset. Rotor crank meshed perfectly with the bearings. I can't recall how tight the bearings were in the frame, but they could be removed/installed without tools or extreme hand pressure.
    Did you install the Rotor cranks into the same BB, or did you buy a different one?

SRAM uses a 22mm ID bearing on the NDS while Shimano/Rotor use a 24mm ID bearing on the NDS. They both use a 24mm ID bearing on the DS.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    The bearing set included both with the new frame. So swapped out the Sram bearing for the Shimano with the Rotor crank.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Ah, okay. Just making sure.

I've just never heard of the problem you were having. The SRAM and Shimano bearing sets also use different bearing shields, but if you were using the Shimano shields on the SRAM bearings, the setup would be way too tight axially instead of too loose radially.

mtbr member
    Basically my lbs sold me the wrong bottom bracket kit for my bike and I needed a different kit that is know where to be found in the WHOLE country. The Trek superstore also sent me the same kit I already had. In short just get a bike with a standard threaded BB. So I have a brand new frame that is hanging in my garage that is useless until I get the correct bearing spacer kit from trek.

mtbr member
    Finally got the correct BB kit from Trek and it bolted up perfectly. Thanks rfxc for the tip, I honestly think my local shop did'nt have a clue about which kit I needed. Surprising the mechanics didn't even know this. I will take her on her maiden voyage tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Hi guys,

I'm jumping on the thread as I have just bought a Trek Elite 9.6 (2013)
    I sold all the deore running gear as I have SRAM X9 shifters and Mechs I wanted to use.
    I am either going to get a X9 or XO crank depending on price/availability.

I assume I'm going to need the same kit 415734 to run either of these GXP cranksets?

cheers......

mtbr member
    Yes you will need the 415734 kit, I have an X9 crankset on my Trek and have not had a problem since I installed them.

Dan

mtbr member
    cheers, I have asked my LBS to source it from TREK as I can't find it online anywhere..

Dan

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I used a ceramic bearing kit from CRCBike. Fit perfectly and have not had a problem in 1500+ miles. My next frame will have the same bearings in it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by danmtchl View Post
    Finally got the correct BB kit from Trek and it bolted up perfectly. Thanks rfxc for the tip, I honestly think my local shop did'nt have a clue about which kit I needed. Surprising the mechanics didn't even know this. I will take her on her maiden voyage tomorrow.
    Sorry to dredge up an old thread. But I'm having the same problem with a 2010 TREK Elite XC carbon hardtail frame. The BB is def. a BB90 and i'm installing a SRAM GXP MTB crank.
    If you think it's hard to find this kit in USA then its basically impossible in South Africa. So i'm trying to work another solution.

Can you remember if the NDS bearing from this kit was a normal bearing or did it also have the extended inner race like the other BB95 kits.
    The standard bearing in kit 405700 was a 22 ID X 37 OD with the outer race being 8mm and the inner race extended to 11.5mm.

The only solution I can do is to use a standard 22 X 37 X 8 bearing without the extended inner race.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by madmarc View Post
    Sorry to dredge up an old thread. But I'm having the same problem with a 2010 TREK Elite XC carbon hardtail frame. The BB is def. a BB90 and i'm installing a SRAM GXP MTB crank.
    If you think it's hard to find this kit in USA then its basically impossible in South Africa. So i'm trying to work another solution.

Can you remember if the NDS bearing from this kit was a normal bearing or did it also have the extended inner race like the other BB95 kits.
    The standard bearing in kit 405700 was a 22 ID X 37 OD with the outer race being 8mm and the inner race extended to 11.5mm.

The only solution I can do is to use a standard 22 X 37 X 8 bearing without the extended inner race.
    I have the same issue. I'm getting these bearings from Real Word Cycling (24mm x 22mm) ... RWC TREK BB90/BB95 FOR GXP CRANKS

Members who have read this thread: 1