Trek 2020 MY - Page 4- Mtbr.com
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Trek 2020 MY

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Yeah just looked it up because I remember reading in the post that bontrager partnered with dr Swiss to make them a ratchet hub but was for some older hubs. I saw 54 tooth and assumed it was still ratchet. Oh well. Still, theyíve got to do it as many people are going to be wanting the new Shimano and selling Only complete bikes without the compatibility merits people looking for the new groupset to just simply dismiss buying a trek.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Still waiting for the 2020 FEX to show up...

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by aaroncob View Post
    I doubt the new Fuel EX will come with the new Shimano XT or SLX since Trek would have known that it was coming and they haven't put it on the new Top Fuel. Based on the Top Fuel 8 specs we'll probably see the FEX 8 come with Sram NX and be more expensive. Prices on the 2019 models have already increased in Australia in the last month with the Remedy 8 jumping $200 and the Slash 8 jumping $500 AUD.

Trek also do there own hubs and they might not have the microspline hubs sorted yet and probably won't want to use someone elses for 2020 models.
    The 2019 FEX 7 has NX drivetrain, so 2020 FEX 8 with NX will be a real downgrade.
    Moreover, the NX group is 278g/0.6 lbs heavier than GX.
    The 2019 FEX 8 already weights 13.79 kg/30.4 lbs and it's not one the lightest trail bikes out there, so NX spec will make it even more heavier.
    So - heavier bike for more buck? Definately not for me!!! GX eagle is my minimum spec for a new trail bike...

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by doctacosmos View Post
    Yeah just looked it up because I remember reading in the post that bontrager partnered with dr Swiss to make them a ratchet hub but was for some older hubs. I saw 54 tooth and assumed it was still ratchet. Oh well. Still, theyíve got to do it as many people are going to be wanting the new Shimano and selling Only complete bikes without the compatibility merits people looking for the new groupset to just simply dismiss buying a trek.
    I don't know anymore. I guess we'll have to see how they compare. It used to be that Shimano was the gold standard and SRAM was a challenger. Shimano sort of dropped the ball for a while. I haven't tried the new Shimano 12 speeds but SRAM has really established themselves. Then Shimano made a new cassette standard *AND* they didn't open source it. One of the smartest things SRAM did was make the xD driver open.

So what's particularly compelling right now about Shimano over SRAM 12 speed drivetrains? I'm sure microspline will become more common over time, but their xtr rollout was terrible. I can go pick up an xD driver wheel off the shelf plus 3 levels of cassette right now. What is shimano bringing that's 'wow' performance wise besides being new and shiny? I mean they might, but I don't know- haven't seen a comparison test.

I'm looking forward to trying an XT vs GX test at some point. SLX looks like a great bargain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrIcky View Post
    I'm looking forward to trying an XT vs GX test at some point. SLX looks like a great bargain.
    Not to derail; but is that the equivalency now?

XX1 (XC)/XO1 (Trail, Enduro) to XTR
    GX to XT
    NX to SLX
    SX to Alivo or whatever it is now

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by zgxtreme View Post
    Not to derail; but is that the equivalency now?

XX1 (XC)/XO1 (Trail, Enduro) to XTR
    GX to XT
    NX to SLX
    SX to Alivo or whatever it is now
    As far as I can tell by price and weight, this is correct. The SLX may slot somewhere between GX and NX.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Shimano product manager said in an interview that functionality wise as far as shifting performance and under load xt and slx are identical. The difference is just weight and the xt shifter letting you go down 2 shifts at a time.

So slx is not comparable to nx in that regard considering nx Rd uses bushings vs bearings. The breakdown of the slx and xt Rd shows that the build is identical except for fancier and lighter metal for the frame.

All the reports coming in are saying that under load this new Shimano stuff is unmatched so that alone makes slx better than gx in my book. My gx rd sounds like it wants to self destruct whenever I shift under some load.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I personally just have always preferred shifting of Shimano over sram. So much that I actually cringe every time I shifted my x1 but not as badly on my xx1. Was always a Shimano guy and they fell off the planet seemingly. Now theyíre back and Iím ready to rip it. If I canít grt Shimano complete on new fuels I might just go buy a frame (depending on what fuel offers this year and if it comes with factory shock or not) and then just build myself. Might even do a P1 if I like the bike enough and can supplement some cheaper parts for now to get it a little cheaper. Or could always do the YT complete route and buy frame of choice then sell YT frame

mtbr member
    Slx and gx are on par

Xt and xo1 is suppose to be but its not the same anymore. Sram needs an x1 eagle.

Nx and deore are on parĒ but yah... 10 speed to 12

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post
    Slx and gx are on par

Xt and xo1 is suppose to be but its not the same anymore. Sram needs an x1 eagle.

Nx and deore are on parĒ but yah... 10 speed to 12

Thatís how I always viewed and thus why I asked. Seemingly more and more were paying XO1 value on a new bike with GX parts.

mtbr member
    I've got x1 standard on my 2017 FEX 9. I just can't justify downgrading to GX to get the Eagle. I agree that SRAM should step up and make the X1 Eagle.
    1992 Trek 800 Antelope
    2009 Haro Mary SS
    2015 Trek Stache 7
    2017 Trek Fuel EX 9

mtbr member
    I see that there's a new Kovee Wheelset (non-XXX) just released. I wonder if Trek has the manufacturing issues sorted out with the Line Pro Wheels. I'm tempted to buy them over I9.
    1992 Trek 800 Antelope
    2009 Haro Mary SS
    2015 Trek Stache 7
    2017 Trek Fuel EX 9

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by V8Interceptor View Post
    I've got x1 standard on my 2017 FEX 9. I just can't justify downgrading to GX to get the Eagle. I agree that SRAM should step up and make the X1 Eagle.
    Loved X1 on my EX9 and really could only justify XO1 had I moved to Eagle prior to selling it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Bontrager carbon wheels are a 2 year from purchase warranty with steeply discounted replacements for anytime after the two years

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo15471 View Post
    Not sure if you can link to another forum on here. But here are the details of the supercal

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/S...e_It_P6940879/
    Can anyone else access this link anymore? Says Iím not authorized so either it (1) got moved to a restricted sub forum OR (2) it got yanked to appease Trek.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Can anyone else access this link anymore? Says Iím not authorized so either it (1) got moved to a restricted sub forum OR (2) it got yanked to appease Trek.
    I can't access it...but it was just a pic and a bunch of jabbering guessing what the head angle was...lol
    but the pic is in the thread on post #24
    https://forums.mtbr.com/trek/superca...d-1103589.html

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Got to demo a roscoe 8 today and it was the first day in the woods this year. Had a blast and was pleasantly surprised by the NX shifting. Didnít sound or feel like I was setting off a bear trap every time I changed gears. Also, man, as much as I love full suspension, Iím coming from a Santa Cruz 5010 that I hated with a passion and this roscoe just made me want one just for relaxing and enjoy the woods. Really enjoyed the hard tail not robbing my energy. Made me consider getting a top fuel because of its remote lockout. However I know Iíll wsnt more travel so def gonna stick with trek for that re:aktiv and maybe get a 27.5+ wheelset to throw on there. Actually that literally just made me realize the remedy is 27.5+. Gonna go do some homework now. Although pretty sure Iíll still want a 29 wheelset for group ride duty

mtbr member
    May 2019

Roscoe 2020

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trek 2020 MY-roscoe7_20_28499_b_portrait.jpg  

Trek 2020 MY-roscoe7_20_28499_a_portrait.jpg  

Trek 2020 MY-roscoe6womens_20_28502_b_portrait.jpg  

Trek 2020 MY-roscoe6womens_20_28502_a_portrait.jpg  

Trek 2020 MY-roscoe6_20_28501_b_portrait.jpg  

Trek 2020 MY-roscoe6_20_28501_a_portrait.jpg  

Last edited by lukashi; 06-07-2019 at 03:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lukashi View Post
    Photos snipped.
    Any of these the 8 Womenís?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    It looks like all Roscoe models are spec with Shimano brakes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Slx and gx are on par

I disagree, here's why:

GX/8100: Cassette 448/471, Derailleur 290/284, Crankset 632/620, Shifter 122/120.

MSRP GX/8100: Cassette $195/159, $110/115, The crankset doesn't match up GX 120-170 and includes a chainring/8100 looks like ~$130+$62, Shifter $40/60.

Weight for the main components, total price, and intended use are basically the same for all intents and purposes. I think XT=GX went out the window a long time ago when SRAM made GX so close in performance to XO1.

As I'm reading the reviews, it looks like XT may shift smoother, but GX will allow you to grab more gears.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Xt allows you to upshift two and down 4. Slx is more limited

lurking no more
    looks like new rosoes are on AU website
    https://www.trekbikes.com/au/en_AU/b...roscoe/c/B342/

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by nocnypatrol.org View Post
    Looks like the new Top Fuels are also on the AU site.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by MrIcky View Post
    I disagree, here's why:

GX/8100: Cassette 448/471, Derailleur 290/284, Crankset 632/620, Shifter 122/120.

MSRP GX/8100: Cassette $195/159, $110/115, The crankset doesn't match up GX 120-170 and includes a chainring/8100 looks like ~$130+$62, Shifter $40/60.

Weight for the main components, total price, and intended use are basically the same for all intents and purposes. I think XT=GX went out the window a long time ago when SRAM made GX so close in performance to XO1.

As I'm reading the reviews, it looks like XT may shift smoother, but GX will allow you to grab more gears.
    The GX competes with the SLX. Regardless of weight and pricing(which can vary wildly especially with Shimano products). Don't base which is competing with which based on pricing alone. Build quality, materials, and fit and finish should be used as a basis for comparison instead.

The X1(11S) which SRAM discontinued after Eagle was released, was their mid-tier groupset that competed with the XT(also Shimano's mid-tier). And obviously, the XTR competes with the XO1 and XX1.

The old GX(11S) and Eagle GX are built almost exactly the same with nearly identical materials. The X1(11S) had bearings in the shifter(whereas the GX uses bushings) and the X1 had higher quality materials and better fit and finish even compared to the GX Eagle.

Yes the GX does function the same as the XO/XX with the main difference being weight. That's SRAM's angle when it comes to Eagle. Which is fine. They work, and they work well. Shimano's angle is that the XTR, XT, and SLX shift as smoothly as each other, but specific feel and feedback from the shifter, brakes, etc. will feel better the higher up you go. And the lower end Shimano groupsets may be missing some features that the higher end ones have. For example, the 11S SLX is missing the hole to adjust the clutch on the rear derailleur meaning you have to open the clutch cover to make adjustments. The SLX shifter also doesn't have independent tilting of the shifter angle. Meaning that the angle of your brake lever determines the angle of the shifter. BUT the SLX is built quite similarly to the GX(11S) and GX Eagle.

What annoys me with SRAM is instead of reviving the X1 mid-tier groupset, they released and even lower SX groupset than the NX(which is well below SLX in build quality). This may not mean a lot to most people but I believe this will drive up the pricing on complete bikes. Remember when GX(11S) bikes cost $3000-ish? Now they're about $4000-5000 or more. And ****ing NX bikes are now $3000. Since there's no middle ground with SRAM groupsets, and Shimano was late to the game with 12S(and 12 speeds is what everyone wants), bike manufacturers have happily raised the pricing of completes with GX-level components. Sorry but GX doesn't belong on $5000+ bikes. Hopefully, the 12S XT fills that gap and forces GX one pricing tier down.

Sure one could make the argument that GX works well(and it does, I'm not refuting that), but it's not about it just working well or not. It's about the value of the product. How much bike companies get the groupset for(which is probably less than $400 bulk pricing) compared to how stupid expensive they're selling completes.

I'm not saying that GX Eagle sucks. It's a great groupset. I have it. I just hope that GX level bikes get priced down in complete bikes with the release of the XT 12S.
    I no longer like to party. But I like the idea of it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by orangesinglespeed View Post
    Looks like the new Top Fuels are also on the AU site.
    They're live globally.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nocnypatrol.org View Post
    If thatís the Roscoe 8 Womenís we get stateside, I think itís a winner for my wifeís first bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I took my wife out on her first ride on her new skye and she enjoyed it. Then I dropped the dropper on the roscoe 8 and had her go through some gnarly stuff including a pretty steep climb and she made it all look effortless. She doesnít want a roscoe because she really likes her new pretty bike and doesnít want me to spend the money but I canít think of a better bike for someone thatís not jumping stuff. Had I rode the roscoe before buying the sky I would have just got her one of those in a heart beat then got myself an aluminum long legged bike to compliment it then I could have just used her roscoe when I wanted a nice comfortable cruise
    Last edited by doctacosmos; 06-05-2019 at 08:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by almazing View Post
    The GX competes with the SLX. Regardless of weight and pricing(which can vary wildly especially with Shimano products). Don't base which is competing with which based on pricing alone. Build quality, materials, and fit and finish should be used as a basis for comparison instead.

The X1(11S) which SRAM discontinued after Eagle was released, was their mid-tier groupset that competed with the XT(also Shimano's mid-tier). And obviously, the XTR competes with the XO1 and XX1.

The old GX(11S) and Eagle GX are built almost exactly the same with nearly identical materials. The X1(11S) had bearings in the shifter(whereas the GX uses bushings) and the X1 had higher quality materials and better fit and finish even compared to the GX Eagle.

Yes the GX does function the same as the XO/XX with the main difference being weight. That's SRAM's angle when it comes to Eagle. Which is fine. They work, and they work well. Shimano's angle is that the XTR, XT, and SLX shift as smoothly as each other, but specific feel and feedback from the shifter, brakes, etc. will feel better the higher up you go. And the lower end Shimano groupsets may be missing some features that the higher end ones have. For example, the 11S SLX is missing the hole to adjust the clutch on the rear derailleur meaning you have to open the clutch cover to make adjustments. The SLX shifter also doesn't have independent tilting of the shifter angle. Meaning that the angle of your brake lever determines the angle of the shifter. BUT the SLX is built quite similarly to the GX(11S) and GX Eagle.

What annoys me with SRAM is instead of reviving the X1 mid-tier groupset, they released and even lower SX groupset than the NX(which is well below SLX in build quality). This may not mean a lot to most people but I believe this will drive up the pricing on complete bikes. Remember when GX(11S) bikes cost $3000-ish? Now they're about $4000-5000 or more. And ****ing NX bikes are now $3000. Since there's no middle ground with SRAM groupsets, and Shimano was late to the game with 12S(and 12 speeds is what everyone wants), bike manufacturers have happily raised the pricing of completes with GX-level components. Sorry but GX doesn't belong on $5000+ bikes. Hopefully, the 12S XT fills that gap and forces GX one pricing tier down.

Sure one could make the argument that GX works well(and it does, I'm not refuting that), but it's not about it just working well or not. It's about the value of the product. How much bike companies get the groupset for(which is probably less than $400 bulk pricing) compared to how stupid expensive they're selling completes.

I'm not saying that GX Eagle sucks. It's a great groupset. I have it. I just hope that GX level bikes get priced down in complete bikes with the release of the XT 12S.
    Yes. All this. 100% agree.

Had gx 11 and it was clunky, i replaced it with x1 11 and its so crisp.

I have gx eagle on a bike and its as crisp as x1 11 but still cheap looking/ feeling like gx11.

They need x1 eagle bad... or xt 12 will hopefullt be on every bike that use to have x1 11 on it that now has gx eagle.

I want a 9.8 level bike next... with elite level suspension and x1/xt level drive.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Yes. All this. 100% agree.

Had gx 11 and it was clunky, i replaced it with x1 11 and its so crisp.

I have gx eagle on a bike and its as crisp as x1 11 but still cheap looking/ feeling like gx11.

They need x1 eagle bad... or xt 12 will hopefullt be on every bike that use to have x1 11 on it that now has gx eagle.

I want a 9.8 level bike next... with elite level suspension and x1/xt level drive.

I hope to see new build kits like this for FS bikes:

SX - NO. Why?
    NX - $2000. Entry level builds.
    GX/SLX - $3000-$4500
    XT - $4000 - $6000
    XTR/XO1/XX1 - $6000 and up. Bling builds.
    XX1 AXS - Dentist money.

Approximate pricing obviously. But I really doubt this would happen. Bike companies are just going to price XT builds above current GX builds while keeping GX builds the same price. It's really frustrating that we(the consumers) have kind of been forced to pay a high price for GX builds the past few years due to lack of 12S competition and SRAM's monopoly of the market. What's worse is that many people forgot how much GX builds cost 3-4 years ago and we've kind of just 'accepted' that this is how much bikes cost now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I hope to see new build kits like this for FS bikes:

SX - NO. Why?
    NX - $2000. Entry level builds.
    GX/SLX - $3000-$4500
    XT - $4000 - $6000
    XTR/XO1/XX1 - $6000 and up. Bling builds.
    XX1 AXS - Dentist money.

Approximate pricing obviously. But I really doubt this would happen. Bike companies are just going to price XT builds above current GX builds while keeping GX builds the same price. It's really frustrating that we(the consumers) have kind of been forced to pay a high price for GX builds the past few years due to lack of 12S competition and SRAM's monopoly of the market. What's worse is that many people forgot how much GX builds cost 3-4 years ago and we've kind of just 'accepted' that this is how much bikes cost now.
    Trek was one of the few to put GX Eagle on a $3400 bike with the 2019 Fuel EX8. Almost all the others were NX and from personal experience (2018 FEX and 2019 SJ) there is a quality difference between the GX and NX. I felt the value of the Trek was so much better in many ways over the SJ. I wish more bike companies followed Trek by using the GX level on that price range for bikes. (Of course, now that I say that Trek will drop to NX this year)

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Solid Orange View Post
    Trek was one of the few to put GX Eagle on a $3400 bike with the 2019 Fuel EX8. Almost all the others were NX and from personal experience (2018 FEX and 2019 SJ) there is a quality difference between the GX and NX. I felt the value of the Trek was so much better in many ways over the SJ. I wish more bike companies followed Trek by using the GX level on that price range for bikes. (Of course, now that I say that Trek will drop to NX this year)
    I'd say Trek's aluminum models offer really good value. But they're best value thus far was the Fuel EX 9 AL or Remedy 9 AL with the X1 groupset. That trim is obviously no longer being sold having been replaced with the '8' models since last year. I'd say even the '9' offered better spec to price ratio than today's '8' trims.

The huge issue I have with Treks is when you start getting in to carbon territory. A 9.7 with entry level components like the NX for $4700? I doubt anyone can see the value in that. 9.8 with GX and Performance level suspension for closer to $6000? Now that pissed me off greatly. You go to 9.9 level and Trek STILL skimps on components by speccing it with a damn GX cassette. For OVER $7000. Now that really really really grinds me gears.

mtbr member

Trek 2020 MY

I'd say Trek's aluminum models offer really good value. But they're best value thus far was the Fuel EX 9 AL or Remedy 9 AL with the X1 groupset. That trim is obviously no longer being sold having been replaced with the '8' models since last year. I'd say even the '9' offered better spec to price ratio than today's '8' trims.

The huge issue I have with Treks is when you start getting in to carbon territory. A 9.7 with entry level components like the NX for $4700? I doubt anyone can see the value in that. 9.8 with GX and Performance level suspension for closer to $6000? Now that pissed me off greatly. You go to 9.9 level and Trek STILL skimps on components by speccing it with a damn GX cassette. For OVER $7000. Now that really really really grinds me gears.
    Thats what i have is a TF 9. Had x1, performance fox and light weight aluminum parts.

Ive switched to i27 carbon rims, a dropper and carbon bars with eagle gx now. Its fairly light and does everything i want. Had pretty shitty stock wheels tho, i think trek is dropping the specs because of their factory carbon wheels but ive heard people blowing pawls on their rapid drives too so thats lame to me.

Like i compared to the element 70, has better spec parts but cheap wheels. You cant have it all i guess.

I personally dont want to change suspension but gx eagle is easy to up the mech to xo and keep my built up carbon wheels.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Thats what i have is a TF 9. Had x1, performance fox and light weight aluminum parts.

Ive switched to i27 carbon rims, a dropper and carbon bars with eagle gx now. Its fairly light and does everything i want. Had pretty shitty stock wheels tho, i think trek is dropping the specs because of their factory carbon wheels but ive heard people blowing pawls on their rapid drives too so thats lame to me.

Like i compared to the element 70, has better spec parts but cheap wheels. You cant have it all i guess.

I personally dont want to change suspension but gx eagle is easy to up the mech to xo and keep my built up carbon wheels.

I'd rather have better spec than a first party carbon wheelset with generic first party hubs TBH. Aftermarket wheels aren't cheap. Which is why when most people buy a wheelset, they usually get the best they can afford. Wheels and tires are generally one of the first big upgrades people do as well.

I could understand the price hike and lower spec if Trek specced bikes with the Line Pro version instead of the Line Carbon. Because the Line Pro wheelset is actually pretty decent. I know, I have a set. But they're speccing new bikes with a watered down, weaker carbon version of the Pro. The Line Carbon isn't OCLV construction and the hubs only have 54T engagement(but can be upgraded to 108 easily and cheaply).

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Given all the complaints about spec I thought I'd jump over here as well and say that my TF8 AL frame came in and it has a Performance Elite rear shock. Trek's website says it should just be a standard Performance. It could be just a lack of Performance shocks so they upgraded, or it might be a running change.

BTW, the build quality on this frame looks fantastic. Pretty stoked on it for the price.

Trek 2020 MY-fuel.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Weight & size for that frameset?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Nice, post up some pics when you get it built

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Saw a purple 8 getting built today. Was purdy. The chainstay is ridiculously ....radical or maybe even old school not sure lol

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Built! Put on a 130 Pike. The drivetrain is 11 speed X1, SLX brakes, Transfer 150mm dropper, Rhythm Pro bar/stem, Enve M70 laced to XTR hubs w/ 2.4/2.6 SE4's. Should be a rad trail bike and a nice compliment to my Evil Wreckoning.

Trek 2020 MY-fuel1.jpg
    Trek 2020 MY-fuel2.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    That thing is going to be a brawler of a rocket ship 珞

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ndirienzo View Post
    Built! Put on a 130 Pike. The drivetrain is 11 speed X1, SLX brakes, Transfer 150mm dropper, Rhythm Pro bar/stem, Enve M70 laced to XTR hubs w/ 2.4/2.6 SE4's. Should be a rad trail bike and a nice compliment to my Evil Wreckoning.
    you planning on running it in high or low with the 130 fork?

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Looks great. Thanks for posting pics. Be sure to tell us your ride impressions.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    I miss X1 badly. The days of the 9s with XT brakes and X1 drivetrains were the best. GX Eagle is a pile - I've been replacing derailleurs non-stop because it scoops everything off the trail and the cages are so long/soft that they bend way before the hanger.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fuel1.jpg 
Views:	510 
Size:	439.5 KB 
ID:	1255749

Name:	fuel2.jpg 
Views:	818 
Size:	443.2 KB 
ID:	1255751
    Nice build.
    Do you think a 2.6 will fit in the rear?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 04 F2000SL View Post
    Shimano will not release a 12 speed XT.....
    Oops....

mtbr member
    May 2019

Trek X-Caliber 7 2020

X-Caliber 7 2020

Weight M - 13.80 kg / 30.42 lbs (with tubes)
    Frameset
    Frame Alpha Gold Aluminum, tapered head tube, internal derailleur & dropper post routing, rack & kickstand mount, Boost141, 5mm QR
    Fork RockShox 30 Silver, Solo Air spring, rebound adjust, TurnKey hydraulic lockout, tapered steerer, 100mm QR, 100mm travel
    Front suspension RockShox 30 Silver, Solo Air spring, rebound adjust, TurnKey hydraulic lockout, tapered steerer, 46mm offset for 29" wheel, 100mm QR, 100mm travel
    Wheels
    Front Hub Formula DC-20, alloy, 6-bolt, 5x100mm QR
    Rear Hub Formula DC-2241, alloy, 6-bolt, Shimano 8/9/10 freehub, Boost141, 5mm QR
    Rims Bontrager Connection, double-wall, 32-hole, 20mm width, presta valve
    Tires Bontrager XR2 Comp, wire bead, 30 tpi, 29x2.20"
    Drivetrain
    Shifters Shimano Acera M3000, 9 speed
    Front derailleur Shimano Alivio M4020, e-type, side swing, front pull
    Rear derailleur Shimano Alivio M4000, long cage, 36T max cog
    Crank Shimano MT210, 36/22, Boost
    Bottom bracket Truvativ Powerspline, 73mm, threaded cartridge, 118mm spindle
    Cassette Shimano HG200, 11-36, 9 speed
    Chain KMC X9, 9 speed
    Pedals VP-536 nylon platform
    Components
    Saddle Bontrager Arvada, steel rails, 138mm width
    Seatpost Bontrager alloy, 31.6mm, 12mm offset
    Handlebar Bontrager alloy, 31.8mm, 5mm rise
    Stem Bontrager Elite, 31.8mm, Blendr compatible, 7 degree
    Grips Bontrager XR Trail Comp, nylon lock-on
    Headset Semi-integrated, cartridge bearing, 1-1/8" top, 1.5" bottom
    Brakeset Shimano MT200 hydraulic disc

mtbr member
    May 2019

Trek X-Caliber 8 2020

X-Caliber 8 2020

Trek 2020 MY-xcaliber8_20_28064_a_portrait.jpgTrek 2020 MY-xcaliber8_20_28064_b_portrait.jpg

Weight 13.44 kg / 29.63 lbs (with tubes)
    Frameset
    Frame Alpha Gold Aluminum, tapered head tube, internal derailleur & dropper post routing, rack & kickstand mount, Boost141, 5mm QR
    Fork RockShox 30 Silver, Solo Air spring, rebound adjust, TurnKey hydraulic lockout, tapered steerer, 100mm QR, 100mm travel
    Front suspension RockShox 30 Silver, Solo Air spring, rebound adjust, TurnKey hydraulic lockout, tapered steerer, 46mm offset for 29" wheel, 100mm QR, 100mm travel
    Wheels
    Front Hub Formula DC-20 LW, alloy, 6-bolt, 5x100mm QR
    Rear Hub Formula DC-2241, alloy, 6-bolt, Shimano 8/9/10 freehub, Boost141, 5mm QR
    Rims Bontrager Kovee, double-wall, Tubeless Ready, 28-hole, 23mm width, presta valve
    Tires Bontrager XR3 Comp, wire bead, 30 tpi, 29x2.20"
    Drivetrain
    Shifters SRAM SX Eagle, 12 speed
    Rear derailleur SRAM SX Eagle
    Crank SRAM SX Eagle, GXP, 30T steel ring, Boost
    Bottom bracket Truvativ Powerspline, 73mm, threaded cartridge, 118mm spindle
    Cassette SRAM PG-1210 Eagle, 11-50, 12 speed
    Chain SRAM SX Eagle, 12 speed
    Pedals VP-536 nylon platform
    Components
    Saddle Bontrager Arvada, steel rails, 138mm width
    Seatpost Bontrager alloy, 31.6mm, 12mm offset
    Handlebar Bontrager alloy, 31.8mm, 5mm rise
    Stem Bontrager Elite, 31.8mm, Blendr compatible, 7 degree
    Grips Bontrager XR Trail Comp, nylon lock-on
    Headset Semi-integrated, cartridge bearing, 1-1/8" top, 1.5" bottom
    Brakeset Shimano MT200 hydraulic disc

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Two rides in and I love this bike. I has a 14' FEX which I loved, but then went to a 16' 9.9 FEX, which I cracked three times, then a 17', which I cracked, then an 18' which I gave up on and sold. I also had a 17' Slash and now a Evil Wreckoning as my big bike. I found that once I got the Slash I didn't see a huge point in the 130/140 FEX as there wasn't a huge difference in pedaling or weight overall. Now with just the evil I was wanting something that pedaled better and had more neutral handling... essentially I wanted my 14' FEX back with more modern geo, which is exactly what this bike is built as.

So it pedals wayyyyy better than any of the 14-18' FEXs. I didn't even install the lockout. It's just shocking how this thing scampers up hills. But on more neutral territory the bike just feels good.... not really thinking much about it which is great. It's still plenty playful on the downs. Overall I'm really glad I built it up as a frame as I much prefer my trail-oriented build than the race build they're specing. The enduro casing tires are great, as is the shorter stem and 820 bar and big rotors. I also am really glad I have the 130 on there.

Regarding tire size, there's 81mm of clearance on both stays. My 2.4/2.6 SE4 combo with 30mm internal rims measure at 61/66mm, so still plenty of clearance to put a 2.6 out back.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Two rides in and I love this bike. I has a 14' FEX which I loved, but then went to a 16' 9.9 FEX, which I cracked three times, then a 17', which I cracked, then an 18' which I gave up on and sold. I also had a 17' Slash and now a Evil Wreckoning as my big bike. I found that once I got the Slash I didn't see a huge point in the 130/140 FEX as there wasn't a huge difference in pedaling or weight overall. Now with just the evil I was wanting something that pedaled better and had more neutral handling... essentially I wanted my 14' FEX back with more modern geo, which is exactly what this bike is built as.

So it pedals wayyyyy better than any of the 14-18' FEXs. I didn't even install the lockout. It's just shocking how this thing scampers up hills. But on more neutral territory the bike just feels good.... not really thinking much about it which is great. It's still plenty playful on the downs. Overall I'm really glad I built it up as a frame as I much prefer my trail-oriented build than the race build they're specing. The enduro casing tires are great, as is the shorter stem and 820 bar and big rotors. I also am really glad I have the 130 on there.

Regarding tire size, there's 81mm of clearance on both stays. My 2.4/2.6 SE4 combo with 30mm internal rims measure at 61/66mm, so still plenty of clearance to put a 2.6 out back.

You're joking right? I have both the current model Slash and FEX. Both 17.5 size. My carbon 9.8 Slash comes it at 33.5 lbs ready to ride and this is with carbon wheels. My aluminum FEX 9 comes it at 29.5 lbs ready to ride and this is with a Fox 36 140mm fork and carbon wheels. That's a 4 lb difference which is remarkable. Especially considering the FEX is an AL frame.

The Slash is a terrible pedaling bike compared to the FEX. It goes downhill incredibly well. Much better than the FEX. But if it's an all day excursion with lots of pedaling, the Slash will stay home. In fact, it pedals so terribly that I've relegated it to enduro race and bike park duty or big mountain excursions with extended climbs with accompanying extended downhills only. I ride the Slash maybe once every 2 weeks just to get the suspension cycling oil and fluid. It's burly well built bike. But it's built like an enduro race bike. The FEX is a much better all rounder. I could never have the Slash as an only bike because I hate riding it anywhere besides the terrain it was built for.

Sucks you broke a bunch of frames. Perhaps you should have bought the Slash to begin with.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by turbine50 View Post
    Oops....

mtbr member
    Feb 2017

Good to hear! Is that 81mm at the closest points? With the 2.4 back there how many mm would you say you have at the closest point?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Iíve seen people with 29lb 9.8 slashes. Even the site say it weighs 30. How does yours weigh more?

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Edit. Originally posted in the wrong thread. Sorry about that. But thanks for the report on the bike Glad you like it!

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Iíve seen people with 29lb 9.8 slashes. Even the site say it weighs 30. How does yours weigh more?
    1300 gram tires front and rear. I installed a carbon wheelset to offset the extra weight from these tires. Lots of sealant, 200ml per wheel. DMR vault pedals add a pound of weight right off the bat. Code RSC brakes with 200mm rotors front and rear. Heavier than Guides and 180mm rotors. Bottle cage. 3M rubber mastic tape completely wrapped around the chainstay which is surprisingly heavy. Super Deluxe rear shock. 2019 Lyrik RC2 fork.

All this extra weight adds up. Not a weight weenie bike. I like it as it is for the purpose I built it for. I have had zero mechanicals. Since moving on to WTB Vigilates front and rear in Tough casing, I have had zero slashed tires or punctures. That alone is worth the extra weight. They're indestructible. And they grip better than the DHF and MM.

I can probably shave off a pound or so by getting carbon cranks and replacing the GX with an XO1 groupset. But that stuff is expensive.

I have other lighter bikes I can ride.

When I mean ready to ride, I mean ready to ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Gotcha. So in stock configuration the 9.8 sucks for normal riding? Was considering getting one and change fork travel to 150. Been enjoying riding a lot of road lately and thinking maybe could get a bike I could use at a resort and then change a few things to make it rideable at the machine built trails we have here. That or a remedy and run a set of 2.8 schwables like the roscoe I demoed had. Didnít pedal too dissimilar from a 29er and direct height measurement showed the 2.8 at 28.25 so pretty dang close. The remedy 18.5 also have basically the same geo as the 17.5 roscoe I felt super comfortable on. Really need to demo though but nothing around here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Gotcha. So in stock configuration the 9.8 sucks for normal riding? Was considering getting one and change fork travel to 150. Been enjoying riding a lot of road lately and thinking maybe could get a bike I could use at a resort and then change a few things to make it rideable at the machine built trails we have here. That or a remedy and run a set of 2.8 schwables like the roscoe I demoed had. Didnít pedal too dissimilar from a 29er and direct height measurement showed the 2.8 at 28.25 so pretty dang close. The remedy 18.5 also have basically the same geo as the 17.5 roscoe I felt super comfortable on. Really need to demo though but nothing around here.
    It's decent but not as good as other bikes like FEX. Without the Re:Aktiv shock(like mine) it becomes a bruiser, but the lack of fancy valving really affects how well it pedals. People give Re:Aktiv a bunch of crap but it is good for its intentions, which is a great pedaling platform while getting out of its own way for bumps. The stock shock just gets really overwhelmed in extended and gnarly downhills. The valving can't react fast enough and it becomes really rough and tiring.

I suggest getting an FEX instead of a Slash and then 'downgrading' it. Up-forking an FEX is a much better idea. 140mm Fox 36 on a FEX and you have 85-90% the capability of the Slash and it's still lighter and better to pedal around. Or go with the new Remedy, which is almost a Slash in 27.5.

I personally won't run tires larger than 2.6 but to each their own. Even a true 2.6 feels vague and unresponsive. I found 2.5 is the magic width for modern mountain bikes if it can fit. 2.8s are built like paper to shave weight. Imagine if a 2.8 tire was built with the exact proportions and material as a 2.4. It'd weigh 1400-1500 grams and still not have slash and puncture protection that enduro casings have.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I actually enjoyed the roscoe with 2.8. I know how to ride hard with everything that I ride but the roscoe really brought back my love for being in the woods. Figured I could get a coil for remedy with some good downhill wheel setup then get a 40ml set with some 2.8 like the roscoe for just comfort rides in the woods then hit the exercise with my road bike. I really truly considered going fuel route but I if I want a bike that can jump I want a little more travel mainly because it allows for a little more room for mistakes. Who knows. I also considered just getting two bikes a used trail bike and a new aluminum bike for my fun days. biggest issue o have with that is Iíve wanted a 9.8 from trek since I started riding mountain bikes 6 years ago. Itís been my dream bike and have been saving for one. The time has come and now itís hard to set that idea aside once again

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Current owner of Slash and (recently sold) Fuel EX chiming on the two here:

They both pedal pretty crisply, which is no surprise, since they have nearly identical anti-squat (Linkage Design: Trek). That moderate anti-squat may result in less "snap" at the pedals, but it also means they pedal through chunk much more smoothly, with less hangup and stall.

When I did fair comparisons (identical wheels and tires) times were nearly identical on long loops. On long and rugged loops, the Slash certainly left my aging body less beat up.

Both were/are set up for trail use, with Line Pro 30 wheels and XR3/XR4 tires. In real chunk, the longer travel, Fox 36 and (to me) surprisingly wonderful RS Reaktiv rear shock are so smmmooooth.
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Well That does actually help me somewhat. Had I not rode the 2.8 27.5+ it would have made my decision that much easier I would just order a clearance slash frame and build. However, while I did demo some long travel 29ers a while ago and found they are somewhat jumpable, Iím not positive I could run one at a downhill bike park the way I know I could on a 27.5. I need to get in touch with someone that could let me demo one but really no clue where to do that. Anyone here in western Pennsylvania lol

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDwayyo View Post
    I miss X1 badly. The days of the 9s with XT brakes and X1 drivetrains were the best. GX Eagle is a pile - I've been replacing derailleurs non-stop because it scoops everything off the trail and the cages are so long/soft that they bend way before the hanger.
    Same problem! On my 3rd derailleur!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I was wondering if that was a sram eagle thing or 12 speed thing. My gx eagle rd has so much crap on it after a ride vs my old bike with xt 11 sp.

mtbr member
    Is this thread about groupsets? Please come back to its real topic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I know some of us are looking for reworked bikes but does anyone know when the rest of the bikes that arenít getting reworked will be out? Going for loan for rest of my bike Thursday but gonna be holding that check till the 2020ís slashes and remedies come out

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by S-Worker View Post
    From what I've seen so far I really like the way Trek is going with their graphics/color schemes on this years' bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I thought the top fuel green and black scheme was neat. Matter of preference for sure. Just basic color schemes except for the purple which to me was just kind of meh. TBH, the frame contours of the new top fuel in aluminum with the straight lines block style graphics makes them look like 10 year old bikes. . Now if only they offered this in a stock form 
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trek 2020 MY-d953d9c1-683b-41b2-908f-7f8eb1b479d4.jpg  

Last edited by doctacosmos; 06-10-2019 at 04:39 PM.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by S-Worker View Post
    We are discussing potential groupos on 2020 MY Treks, keep your self-important nonsense to yourself please.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
    I was wondering if that was a sram eagle thing or 12 speed thing. My gx eagle rd has so much crap on it after a ride vs my old bike with xt 11 sp.

It's definitely just a factor of the long cage, but Shimano may have implemented it better who knows.

Either way I just wish I held any hope that new models will still come out in 11 speed, but unfortunately I don't. At what point can we get the message to those who set OEMs that newer isn't necessarily better?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    How well do those big 12 speeds hold up at bike parks on slashes?

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post

It's definitely just a factor of the long cage, but Shimano may have implemented it better who knows.

Either way I just wish I held any hope that new models will still come out in 11 speed, but unfortunately I don't. At what point can we get the message to those who set OEMs that newer isn't necessarily better?

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    How well do those big 12 speeds hold up at bike parks on slashes?
    I bet they order derailleurs by the case and chances are pretty slim any of them shift halfway decent after the first couple weeks.

X1 I could keep running perfectly indefinitely, GX Eagle only runs perfectly when all parts are new.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Not letting me upload it but I just saw treks Facebook post showing the new crocket and the color scheme is sick

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

mtbr member
    Shows as invalid url.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Yeah thought it mightíve. Itís a link to their Facebook page

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...ockett/c/B242/
    Theyíre on the website now anyways

mtbr member
    Feb 2017

I wish that mid range models like 9.8 TF came with high quality 11 sp instead of lower 12 sp. I enjoy the range that eagle gives me but I could survive just fine with a slightly lower range if it shifted more smoothly and reliably.

Off the back...
    I know some of us are looking for reworked bikes but does anyone know when the rest of the bikes that arenít getting reworked will be out? Going for loan for rest of my bike Thursday but gonna be holding that check till the 2020ís slashes and remedies come out
    Slash looks to be August for 9.8 and lower, September for 9.9. Remedy 9.7 is June, 9.9 September. I would be surprised if there were any changes to either bike beyond drivetrain. With both 9.9 bikes becoming available in September, that tells me Shimano drivetrain, or some wacky unobtanium gizmo on the top models.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Sweeet ty! No mention of remedy 9.8 but mention of 9.7
    Last edited by doctacosmos; 06-12-2019 at 07:27 AM.

Off the back...
    Sweeet ty! No mention of remedy 9.8 but mention of 9.7
    Yeah, that's a weird one...

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    That new bible of bike tests review of the alchemy Arktos ST has me wanting a fox 36 grip 2 damper on whatever I get. These reviews of other bikes are making it harder to wait for the new 2020ís 😂

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    What is the thought on when the Fuel gets released----while back I heard dealer event----if so that must be soon

I'd also love a 36 grip 2 but that will not be on the Fuel I am sure

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I looked at the Artktos ST----the builds are a killer deal--$4900 with factory fox 36, factory dpx2, xt brakes, dtswiss 1700 and GX kit------that is a good $1000 under most brands for sure--Pivot T429 with a 34 and DPS is $5900 for example and I am sure Trek will be no better---shows how much cost is in the distributor model

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Yeah Iíve got one in my cart right now lol. Loan appointment is at 10 tomorrow. Iím tweaking out thinking what to do right now. I almost bid on a womenís fuel ex 9.8 an hour ago because how cheap I figured it was going to sell but Figured If i waited this long might as well stick to the game plan.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    And yeah considering their frame with factory dpx2 is $3000 and a factory 36 is $1100

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Are we seriously taking out loans to buy bikes now?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Any updates on new fuels or remedies?
    Last edited by doctacosmos; 06-16-2019 at 11:45 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Any updates on new fuels or remedies?
    I have it on good authority that later this week (Thurs or Fri) absolutely nothing will be announced

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Lol

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Any idea if they will do the full stache again? Maybe with a longer travel fork?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Well I tried waiting lol. Ordering a ripmo or megatower today Good luck everyone

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeInPA View Post
    I have it on good authority that later this week (Thurs or Fri) absolutely nothing will be announced

Did that "good authority" mention what the head angle will be on the absolutely nothing?
    I hope it's 67.8372 degrees....I'd buy eleventeen of them if it is!
    But knowing Trek....it will be 67.9012. Pfffttt

mtbr member
    Anyone else think that it would be awesome if Trek copied Spec with the swat box for the new Fuel EX??

mtbr member
    According to that pretty rockin' lady from Trek, during the 2017 Trek Remedy promo, they think the storage compartment would compromise the stiffness of the frame. (I've much have watched that video 3 dozen times!)
    1992 Trek 800 Antelope
    2009 Haro Mary SS
    2015 Trek Stache 7
    2017 Trek Fuel EX 9

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I use a pack so not a feature for me or I suspect those that use a water pack

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by V8Interceptor View Post
    According to that pretty rockin' lady from Trek, during the 2017 Trek Remedy promo, they think the storage compartment would compromise the stiffness of the frame. (I've much have watched that video 3 dozen times!)
    I know!! That's what makes it so funny.

mtbr member
    Hey. They could put some of all that saved weight and improved stiffness from the straight shot downtube toward in frame storage. Knock block and swat box!

Just shoot me now.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bigb73 View Post
    Anyone else think that it would be awesome if Trek copied Spec with the swat box for the new Fuel EX??
    I hope not....I think the vast majority who ride a bike like that use a pack, and donít want extra contraptions on their frame.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Come on Trek! It's almost July where's your Fuel Ex...?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Looking like we will have the new Fuel and Santa Cruz HT releasing about the same time--SC has strong rumor of 7/2 and be 140/140 or 150/140---we will see----not much rumore on Fuel spec that I have seen or when.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    So if you're in the market for a XC race bike from Trek right now should you get a Pivot Mach 4 or Scott Spark?

Still waiting for that Supercaliber....
    -DC, just some XC Bum from FL in NW Arkansas

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by pctloper View Post
    Looking like we will have the new Fuel and Santa Cruz HT releasing about the same time--SC has strong rumor of 7/2 and be 140/140 or 150/140---we will see----not much rumore on Fuel spec that I have seen or when.
    New tallboy is coming at that time too so more competition for the top fuel.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkpowa View Post
    So if you're in the market for a XC race bike from Trek right now should you get a Pivot Mach 4 or Scott Spark?

How many people are looking for race bikes this late in the season?
    It happens every year, and all through the year, though.....new bikes (and/or components) delayed or out of stock when people want them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bikemad1 View Post
    Any idea if they will do the full stache again? Maybe with a longer travel fork?
    Just holding out hope they do a carbon Full Stache and offer it as a frame only option.
    That and a 29+ based Powerfly...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

You read my mind, those are the two bikes Iím looking at and will buy within the next week or two.

mtbr member
    May 2019

New Bosch EBIKE

New Bosch Performance Line CX 40% smaller, lighter 2.9kg. Bigger battery 625Wh.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by lukashi View Post
    New Bosch Performance Line CX 40% smaller, lighter 2.9kg. Bigger battery 625Wh.
    And it will come in the new 2020 emtb Trek Rail 29 160/150
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trek 2020 MY-b3623e16-b2cd-4498-93f7-03bd606d34e0.jpg  

Trail Rider

Mach 4 SL looks like a sick bike... and fast too.

Come to think of it.. I have the same thoughts on the Spark.

2020 SC Hightower

shredthŲgnar
    any rumours of new slash?

shredthŲgnar
    I mean, the seat angle has been in for an overhaul for some time now :-)

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    My recommendation for those looking into buying the spark don't do it, for the only reason next year is the Olympic and I doubt Scott is gonna send Nino in the same bike as 2016 so don't buy a bike that is gonna change

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    It happens every year, and all through the year, though.....new bikes (and/or components) delayed or out of stock when people want them.

Our season starts in 3 months, So. yeah. Me and my family are.
    Pivot has already released the 2020 bikes. One buddy of mine already sold his Proca to get a Les. 1 bike SS or geared. easy switch.
    Can't even get info on the new so called XC race machine or if trek will release the procal with sliders. my LBS has 20+ people waiting for that info to come on on the procal.
    Too Many .

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by bike_futurist View Post
    any rumours of new slash?
    Dealer site says new product August 2019.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by driver bob View Post
    Dealer site says new product August 2019.
    New product is more then likely just colors.
    TREK SLASH 8
    SANTA CRUZ CHAMELEON
    CANNONDALE TOPSTONE

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaFACE View Post
    New product is more then likely just colors.
    Can't speculate on that, that's all it says.

shredthŲgnar
    I wouldnt be suprised if they overhauled the carbon models to follow suit with the last years alu slash 8, but I'd be (pleasantly) suprised if that got slightly modernized as well. Would be cool if seattubes were shorter across the range, but the space to fit a dropper post might be getting quite short.

mtbr member
    My 2020 is here.
    Trek 2020 MY-img_20190621_172942.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by bike_futurist View Post
    I wouldnt be suprised if they overhauled the carbon models to follow suit with the last years alu slash 8, but I'd be (pleasantly) suprised if that got slightly modernized as well. Would be cool if seattubes were shorter across the range, but the space to fit a dropper post might be getting quite short.
    The 125 dropper on the 18.5 alum is still too long for me, im switching to 170 cranks, that should sweet spot it for me. I tried the version one one up components 150, no dice, and if i would have adjusted it down it would of been under 130 regardless. May try the version 2 one up dropper, its even shorter, but getting a 150 on the 18.5 would be a challenge unless your a good bit taller, but at that point you may be on a 19.5. My medium hardtail carbon chameleon has a bigger dropper then my slash.
    TREK SLASH 8
    SANTA CRUZ CHAMELEON
    CANNONDALE TOPSTONE

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    2020 Remedy 9.7 in Matte Battlefield Blue and as it seems with full carbon frame

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by petejupp View Post
    2020 Remedy 9.7 in Matte Battlefield Blue and as it seems with full carbon frame

It's on the Trek website now with details also.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by AF2NR View Post
    It's on the Trek website now with details also.
    What trek website are you looking at because I cant find them

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by VERT1 View Post
    What trek website are you looking at because I cant find them

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...rCode=bluedark

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Giant-Lander View Post
    Yes thatís the one. It actually shows that one is available in a L right now and the second color ďcoming soonĒ.

mtbr member
    the 2020 9.7 Remedy w/ a full carbon frame? sounds like a swingin' deal. of course it will be interesting what the 9.8 is priced at and what it's spec'd with. i rode the 2019 9.8 at a demo this past Sunday, and it was awesome.
    1992 Trek 800 Antelope
    2009 Haro Mary SS
    2015 Trek Stache 7
    2017 Trek Fuel EX 9

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by petejupp View Post

Nice looking bike.

mtbr member
    I don't see it on their site, but my LBS just got a Top Fuel with XTR12. Website lists AXS and XX1.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I will be pulling the trigger on a new EX if it comes out soon, I need a bike bad and will only wait so long...My best guess, based on reading the many different tea leaves, is it is being redesigned and I'm predicting Trek upped the travel a tad on the front and rear, and it will come with 2.6's with clearance for 2.8's. Could they even be combining the full Stache and EX and eliminating one of them? Would not be shocked.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    My somewhat uneducated guess is August 8th.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by j-t-g View Post
    My somewhat uneducated guess is August 8th.
    While we are on uneducated guesses, Here are my guesses on what FY20 Fuel EX may be:

Considerations:
    - The recent Remedy update gives good idea of likely minor changes (slightly steeper seat angle, no full floater)
    - Direct Big brand competitors include 130/115 29er Giant trance and future 29er reign, 150/140 (and 130/120) 29er stumpy)
    - Top fuel 120/115mm travel, now overlaps a traditional FEX strength of short travel XC trail related geo/history/feel
    - Top fuel has set a precedent of having more front than rear travel
    - Some models might have SLX groupset so might be waiting for Shimano to actually release SLX to market in late july.
    - Slash has 150mm travel and 65.1-65.6 head angle. Top fuel has 120mm travel and 77.5-78 head angle
    - Can't be too extreme as appeals to cross section of market

Prediction:
    - Travel slightly increased at front - 140mm front, 130mm rear. Maybe 135mm rear.
    - A special 150mm front travel model (EX9?) to compete with stumpy EVO.
    - Minor slackening to head angle. 66.5 - 67.2 degrees with flip chip
    - Fork offset stays at 51mm to give quick steering feel despite slackened slack head angle?
    - Seat angle steepens - 74.4 - 75 degrees with flip chip
    - shorter seat tube for longer dropper posts
    - 150mm dropper posts on small and medium sizes. 170mm on large.
    - Support for 29x2.4 and 27.5x2.6 tyres
    - Fixed shock mount, no full floater
    - Alloy EX8 specced with Shimano SLX instead of Sram NX.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by dave_rh View Post
    While we are on uneducated guesses, Here are my guesses on what FY20 Fuel EX may be:

Prediction:
    - Travel slightly increased at front - 140mm front, 130mm rear. Maybe 135mm rear.
    - A special 150mm front travel model (EX9?) to compete with stumpy EVO.
    - Minor slackening to head angle. 66.5 - 67.2 degrees with flip chip
    - Fork offset stays at 51mm to give quick steering feel despite slackened slack head angle?
    - Seat angle steepens - 74.4 - 75 degrees with flip chip
    - shorter seat tube for longer dropper posts
    - 150mm dropper posts on small and medium sizes. 170mm on large.
    - Support for 29x2.4 and 27.5x2.6 tyres
    - Fixed shock mount, no full floater
    - Alloy EX8 specced with Shimano SLX instead of Sram NX.
    Hopefully they spec the new Fuel Ex8 with at least Shimano SLX 12 speed and not the crappy Sram NX. Upgrading down the track is easier without having to change the hub driver like you need too with the NX.

They will probably do away with full floater as we've seen on the new Top Fuel and may even use a 210x55mm stroke shock like people are using after market to get around 135mm of travel. The front fork will be at least 140mm but not sure what they'll use as the Fox Rhythm only goes to 130mm.
    The new Santa Cruz hightower is set to launch on the 3rd July according to a local bike shop and has 150/140 FR travel.

My guess is when the Slash is redesigned it will use a 230x60mm stroke shock like people are using after market to give 155mm rear travel. This would give 20mm increments between the Top Fuel, Fuel EX and Slash.

Hopefully they also come out in two colours here in Australia. We didn't get the bright coloured Slash 8 and only got the boring matte black.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Good job!

Hopefully they spec the new Fuel Ex8 with at least Shimano SLX 12 speed and not the crappy Sram NX.

...and may even use a 210x55mm stroke shock like people are using after market to get around 135mm of travel.

My guess is when the Slash is redesigned it will... give 155mm rear travel. This would give 20mm increments between the Top Fuel, Fuel EX and Slash.
    I'm confident that at least 1 alloy model will have 1x12 SLX. Its lighter than NX, better materials and has 510% range vs NX's 455%.

Assuming SLX is available in late July, and a contributing factor to why Trek is currently delaying the FEX, The FEX reveal will probably be announced in mid August?

Your logic of 20mm increments from top fuel, FEX is great

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I'm confident that at least 1 alloy model will have 1x12 SLX. Its lighter than NX, better materials and has 510% range vs NX's 455%.

Assuming SLX is available in late July, and a contributing factor to why Trek is currently delaying the FEX, The FEX reveal will probably be announced in mid August?

Your logic of 20mm increments from top fuel, FEX is great
    I've asked the local Trek shop when they think the Fuel EX due to be released. They don't know specifically but they said that something is shown on there system to be announced/released at the end of August so this lines up with your theory.
    Hopefully they release the details earlier and have them available in the shops at the end of August.

I asked about the Supercaliber and they mentioned that the pros are having some problems with them. They didn't know specifically what the problems where but that's probably why we haven't seen any news on them since the spy shots.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by kellyc View Post
    Just holding out hope they do a carbon Full Stache and offer it as a frame only option.
    That and a 29+ based Powerfly...

Me too!! I have 5k open on my Trek card ready to make a play if they have the full carbon Stache!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I remember Chris the owner of Pivot saying IF Shimano is on time they would have XT 12 speed in late august and slx a couple of months later--so October---and he focused on the IF-----it really means Shimano needs volume and the mfg's need to get it and test----all takes time. I would love to see this early but we will see---historically they are not early

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Any news on whether the Stache (hardtail) will be updated? Specifically the carbon frame.

mtbr member
    ... Upgrading down the track is easier without having to change the hub driver like you need too with the NX...
    That's on Trek for cheapin' out. SC, for example, equipped their NX bikes with XD drivers and GX cassettes. The NX cassette simply provides a 12 speed option for non-XD and non-Microspline hubs.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    The front fork will be at least 140mm but not sure what they'll use as the Fox Rhythm only goes to 130mm.
    Fox Rhythm is 140mm on the 27.5+ FEX8 models.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeInPA View Post
    Fox Rhythm is 140mm on the 27.5+ FEX8 models.
    Yes the Fox Rhythm comes in 140mm for the 27.5+ but not in the 29er forks. This is what turned me off the 2019 FEX 8 or 9.7 as you can't but in a 140mm air shaft on the 29er models.

mtbr member
    Yes the Fox Rhythm comes in 140mm for the 27.5+ but not in the 29er forks. This is what turned me off the 2019 FEX 8 or 9.7 as you can't but in a 140mm air shaft on the 29er models.
    You totally can put the 140mm air shaft in the 29er model. I have a 2017 Fuel Ex 9.8 and upgraded the air shaft to the 140mm. Made the bike even better!

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    [QUOTE=Britishnate;14173047]You totally can put the 140mm air shaft in the 29er model. I have a 2017 Fuel Ex 9.8 and upgraded the air shaft to the 140mm. Made the bike even better!

Trek 2020 MY-fox-rhythm.jpg

Yes the Fuel EX 9.8 and 9.9 have the Fox Float forks which can have the extended air shafts. The Fox Rhythm forks on the FEX 8 & 9.7 can't extend the air shaft to 140mm in the 29er.

https://cyclinic.com.au/products/fox...mbly-2018-2019

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=aaroncob;14173143]
    Quote Originally Posted by Britishnate View Post
    You totally can put the 140mm air shaft in the 29er model. I have a 2017 Fuel Ex 9.8 and upgraded the air shaft to the 140mm. Made the bike even better!

Name:	FOX RHYTHM.JPG 
Views:	1072 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	1261627

Yes the Fuel EX 9.8 and 9.9 have the Fox Float forks which can have the extended air shafts. The Fox Rhythm forks on the FEX 8 & 9.7 can't extend the air shaft to 140mm in the 29er.

My apologies, I assumed they would all work. Seems pretty lame that itís so different with the lower level fork.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    [QUOTE=aaroncob;14173143]
    Quote Originally Posted by Britishnate View Post

You can (and I and many others have) put the 140 shaft in a FEX 8 29er. That link shows the kit. Itís the 4th down. The forks are the same. They say 27.5+/29 on the legs. The 140 shaft works fine...

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    [QUOTE=yarbrough462;14173643]

You can (and I and many others have) put the 140 shaft in a FEX 8 29er. That link shows the kit. Itís the 4th down. The forks are the same. They say 27.5+/29 on the legs. The 140 shaft works fine...
    Yes it looks like your correct. When I looked into this a few months back the chart didn't show the 140mm air shaft for 29er & the local bike shop said it wasn't possible. Chart I attached earlier has been updated compared to this one

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    The fork that came on my FEX8 27.5+ has a sticker on it saying it's a "29" fork.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    LBS said 2020 FEX will be 140/140, same running gear as 2020 Top Fuel for each level of bike (eg GX, Fox performance for 9.8), price of 9.7 is $5k (Australian) and price of 9.8 is $7K. Excessive price of 9.8 most likely due to inframe storage ala SWAT. No geometry details but will be most likley be similar to the Remedy as it has to go lower, slacker etc compartive to the 2020 top fuel. I did plan to upgrade to 9.8 but not at that cost for so little in return. Really hope 9.7 has full 12 speed SLX but appears highly unlikley.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnchc View Post
    LBS said 2020 FEX will be 140/140, same running gear as 2020 Top Fuel for each level of bike (eg GX, Fox performance for 9.8), price of 9.7 is $5k (Australian) and price of 9.8 is $7K. Excessive price of 9.8 most likely due to inframe storage ala SWAT. No geometry details but will be most likley be similar to the Remedy as it has to go lower, slacker etc compartive to the 2020 top fuel. I did plan to upgrade to 9.8 but not at that cost for so little in return. Really hope 9.7 has full 12 speed SLX but appears highly unlikley.
    The Top fuel 8 jumped $1000 AUD from MY19 to MY20 . If FEX does the same jump AND gets downgrade from GX to NX, Its a complete write off for me. 4 years ago, $5000 AUD was top of the line carbon EX 9.9. Now it seems to barely buy the alloy model.

Yes, I know the Aussie dollar is worth nothing these days...

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    The Top fuel 8 jumped $1000 AUD from MY19 to MY20 . If FEX does the same jump AND gets downgrade from GX to NX, Its a complete write off for me. 4 years ago, $5000 AUD was top of the line carbon EX 9.9. Now it seems to barely buy the alloy model.

Yes, I know the Aussie dollar is worth nothing these days...
    I completely agree. They've already bumped up the 2019 Slash 8 by $500 AUD & the 2020 Top Fuel is $5000 AUD with NX. Want to support a local store but will skip on those prices for NX.

The local Specialized store said the new S-works Enduro will be $17,000 AUD. That's bloody ridiculous!! This bike was 10k two years ago.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    Everyone in Florida, Texas and Arizona is in the offseason now from May to August or so. Me and my buddies try to get up north into some mountains in the summer to escape the heat for a few races, but this is the perfect time to get a new race bike. XC season runs August through December in FL, then XCM from Jan to May. Definitely a bummer if you're looking to buy a bike this year (because they literally don't have a FS XC race bike to buy in most sizes/build packages), but hopefully it'll all be sorted for the 2021 season.
    -DC, just some XC Bum from FL in NW Arkansas

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnchc View Post

There is no way your LBS knows this, somebody there is completely guessing. Trek plays this stuff way close to the vest, no way an employee there can tell you what they're doing, their reps might not even know yet.

Quote Originally Posted by litespeedaddict View Post
    There is no way your LBS knows this, somebody there is completely guessing. Trek plays this stuff way close to the vest, no way an employee there can tell you what they're doing, their reps might not even know yet.
    IDK, experience form the last few years for me has seen Australia get bikes before North America even has them on dealer sites/ info with reps.

We'll know in a few weeks for sure though !!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by driver bob View Post
    IDK, experience form the last few years for me has seen Australia get bikes before North America even has them on dealer sites/ info with reps.

We'll know in a few weeks for sure though !!

For the record I predicted something similar to what he said a few posts ago, but I also admit to guessing. You are right though, we'll find out soon enough..I feel like a kid at Christmas, I have not bought a new full boinger in about 8 years, or owned one for 5. Got bit by the fatbike bug then creamed by a car, so I'm ready to say the least!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Driverfound337 View Post
    Supefly rigid SS please
    yesssss!!!

Off the back...
    Buyers for bigger stores were shown what's coming weeks ago. Your average store employee wouldn't know, but the owner likely got a glimpse into the future...

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    A few comments speculating on whether there will be Shimano 1x12.

It would be great if that happens, It does depend if Trek has access to micro spline hubs in time. Either they licence DT swiss hubs, spec shimano wheels or get Shimano to approve bontrager's micro spline hubs.

It its the latter option, lets hope that there is no Hope style silly business by Shimano going on behind the scenes delaying things. e.g. Surely Shimano would not be so petty as to make microspline certification hard for Trek just cause Trek prefers 6 bolt brake mounts over Shimano's desired centerlock brakes

Its hard to see how Shimano could possibly do a worse job in promoting 1x12 than they have done to date.

If I was Trek, I would be furious, and stop specifying Shimano on my MTB's at all!

Oh, wait...

Anyway, Shimano:
    -Arrive at 1x party 6 years late (11speed Shimano 1x was a reluctant hack of the 2x crank), introduce 11-46 monstrosity to compensate.
    -Announce 1x12 groupset, cancel half of it, fail to deliver 100% of component for next 14 months.
    -Rush 1x12 SLX to market 1 year early to stop the flood of OEM's dropping its product
    -Announce new spline standard then allow next 15 months to float by with no news that they have certified major OEMs components hubs like Bontrager, Giant, Syncros, Roval, Santa Cruz/Reserve.

We can be hopeful but, what a mess...

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Mitch from Trek has said on these forums that they will have the drivers available this summer. I've already seen one set of XXX Kovee wheels with an XTR cassette.

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by stewiefied View Post
    Mitch from Trek has said on these forums that they will have the drivers available this summer. I've already seen one set of XXX Kovee wheels with an XTR cassette.
    Kovee xxx's use dt internals...

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Had a Gary Fisher some time back, but got out of mountain biking nearly a decade ago. I decided itís time to get back into it, and it took me a while to decide on a new bike. Well, I picked up my 2020 Roscoe 7 today. Iím really excited to get back on the trail.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JTab23 View Post
    Kovee xxx's use dt internals...
    For what its worth, I had a chat with trek back in May to see if I could upgrade my wheels to mircospline since I thought I had the DT Swiss driver, turns out I dont. I mentioned that I'll just have to buy some other hubs and rebuild my wheels and thats when the tech did say that trek plans to release microsplines wheels this summer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    [QUOTE=aaroncob;14173755]
    Quote Originally Posted by yarbrough462 View Post
    Yes it looks like your correct. When I looked into this a few months back the chart didn't show the 140mm air shaft for 29er & the local bike shop said it wasn't possible. Chart I attached earlier has been updated compared to this one

Just to clarify, Fox now has 29er Rhythms all the way to 150mm now. I think the charts are just based off older years.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the_marsbar View Post
    Any news on whether the Stache (hardtail) will be updated? Specifically the carbon frame.
    Im wondering the same thing......

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DonH View Post
    Also wondering this, havent seen or heard anything about it, but the Stache and the Slash are both due for a makeover.

mtbr member
    New Remedy C frameset is up with new Emerald finish, but most interesting part is it now sports a Fox Float Thru-shaft shock. Interesting move and wonder how it would perform compared to the Rockshox version. Seems weird they still run the Rockshox Thrushaft on the Slash, while this gets a Fox.

Trek 2020 MY-screen-shot-2019-07-13-5.39.53-pm.jpg

Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by DonH View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenkiS14 View Post
    Also wondering this, havent seen or heard anything about it, but the Stache and the Slash are both due for a makeover.
    +1

I'm holding off on buying a '19 9.7 at AUD$1000 discount because of this. It would be nice to have a proper upgrade to my '16 alu w/ carbon wheelset - I'll definitely be keeping the wheels though
    2019 Stache 9.7
    ̶2̶0̶1̶6̶ ̶S̶t̶a̶c̶h̶e̶ ̶7̶

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jun 2018

That looks sexy ASF

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Full range of 2020 Remedy's shown on this website. Looks like there an XT option in the Remedy 8 only in the black colour.
    https://www.blazingbikes.co.uk/index...medy-2020.html

2020 range of the Slash 8 to the 9.8- https://www.blazingbikes.co.uk/index...lash-2020.html

-C-
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by -C- View Post

Those pics looks when they were prototypes

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Yeah, they don't have the bridge above the bb connecting the chainstays that we can see on the current bikes ridden at the world cups.

basher
    Jan 2006
    I really like that supercaliber bike, looks like an amazing xc/marathon bike

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by stewiefied View Post
    Yeah, they don't have the bridge above the bb connecting the chainstays that we can see on the current bikes ridden at the world cups.
    And the forks don't have the brand stickers, either way thats like 80% of how it's going to look but in a real photo it looks way better

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona_Stuff View Post
    I really like that supercaliber bike, looks like an amazing xc/marathon bike
    Definitely, also another thing I don't see people talking about the rear shock is that doesn't look like the typical rear small stanchion that is on all normal shocks, looks like a fork stanchion 32

mtbr member
    Full range of 2020 Remedy's shown on this website. Looks like there an XT option in the Remedy 8 only in the black colour.
    https://www.blazingbikes.co.uk/index...medy-2020.html

2020 range of the Slash 8 to the 9.8- https://www.blazingbikes.co.uk/index...lash-2020.html
    Odd that they chose to put SRAM Guides on it instead of XT, but it does appear that Shimano will become more of an option now.
    So many trails, so little time.

2019 Santa Cruz 5010 C S, 140/130

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Anyone heard anything about the Stache updates? Anything coming?

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Surely we must be seeing new Treks in August???????

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    I just picked up a 2019 EX8
    While in LBS I was chatting to them about the 2020 model and they brought up a pic on screen of the 2020 EX8

Points of note:
    • Rear shock is no longer full floater, bottom mount is now direct to down tube
    • Colour was Black front half transitioning to a purple
    • 140mm Front Travel
    • 130mm Rear Travel
    • Exact same componentry spec as 2019 (SRAM GX)

edit note: I originally specified SRAM NX.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ooie View Post
    While in LBS I was chatting to them about the 2020 model and they brought up a pic on screen of the 2020 EX8

Points of note:
    • 140mm Front Travel
    • 130mm Rear Travel
    • Exact same componentry spec as 2019 (SRAM NX)
    19' fuel ex 8 is GX , not NX. that new paint job sounds cool.
    2019 Trek Fuel EX 8

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by johnD View Post
    19' fuel ex 8 is GX , not NX. that new paint job sounds cool.
    My bad. Edited

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Points of note:
    • 140mm Front Travel
    • 130mm Rear Travel

That would be a disappoint if the 2020 Fex has only 130mm travel, there will be no reason to upgrade.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Found these on Facebook

I was looking at some random FB pages and found these. The black looks pretty cool.

Trek 2020 MY-scal_3.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trek 2020 MY-scal_1.jpg  

Trek 2020 MY-scal_2.jpg  

mtbr member
    What's the advantage of not having a full floater , on the new Fuel ex ?

I'd sell my 19' for a 20' if they would have done away with the knock block and added a threaded bb. 140 in the front I can do that myself.
    2019 Trek Fuel EX 8

mtbr member
    That would be a disappoint if the 2020 Fex has only 130mm travel, there will be no reason to upgrade...
    So, with you're dissatisfied with your 120mm FEX and want more travel? You could have bought a longer travel bike in the first place, and can still buy a longer travel bike...a dif Trek model or some other brand.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    That would be a disappoint if the 2020 Fex has only 130mm travel, there will be no reason to upgrade.

No disappointment for me . I like my FEX 2019 so much, and my upgrade will be remedy 9.8 2020 with FOX suspension. Nice colors

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by johnD View Post
    What's the advantage of not having a full floater , on the new Fuel ex ?
    Whatīs the disadvantage of not having a full floater on the new Fuel EX?

Thereīs also no disadvantage with the Remedy and the Slash...

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I am all for the new FEX being 140/130----that is my sweet spot----simply do not need more travel than that.
    So far this year I have struck out------the new Ripley was enticing till I rode it and could not get along with the STA---the new Hightower simply has too much travel-----the Alchemy Arktos ST looks good but no way to test-----the upcoming SC Tallboy may be it along with hopefully the FEX

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Waiting on the FEX here. I've heard to expect it in July, and I've also heard late September. Any insight or rumors on the timeframe?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by squeakymcgillicuddy View Post
    Waiting on the FEX here. I've heard to expect it in July, and I've also heard late September. Any insight or rumors on the timeframe?
    I was told late July - Early August for information to be released by someone on the Trek website Chat feature. If the dealers are starting to get information, then hopefully we'll hear something more definitive soon.

Wish list is for DPX2 standard or at least optional. The ability to up the travel a bit to like 136 in the rear. Then 150mm Fox 36 in the front w/o voiding the warranty. If not, I'll probably go w/ the Orbea Occam.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    So, with you're dissatisfied with your 120mm FEX and want more travel? You could have bought a longer travel bike in the first place, and can still buy a longer travel bike...a dif Trek model or some other brand.
    I dont own a 120mm Fex.

I love my 2018 9.8 130mm Fex, it's an amazing bike, I swapped out the 130mm fork for a 140mm Pike to make the bike more capable and it is. I just sometimes wish I had more travel in the back. I've looked at other 140mm bikes but they just dont ride as well as the Fex. So when I heard the possibility of a 140mm Fex coming out for 2020 I thought this would be perfect!

But if this is not the case then there is no reason for me to upgrade, like I said.

mtbr member
    I dont own a 120mm Fex.

I love my 2018 9.8 130mm Fex, it's an amazing bike, I swapped out the 130mm fork for a 140mm Pike to make the bike more capable and it is. I just sometimes wish I had more travel in the back. I've looked at other 140mm bikes but they just dont ride as well as the Fex. So when I heard the possibility of a 140mm Fex coming out for 2020 I thought this would be perfect!

But if this is not the case then there is no reason for me to upgrade, like I said.

I am in the same boat as you but mine is a 2017 9.8. If the new one has more rear travel I will definitely consider the upgrade. We should all know soon enough!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by pctloper View Post
    --the new Ripley was enticing till I rode it and could not get along with the STA-
    Interesting comment about the Ripley STA. Is it too steep?.
    Do you feel too far forward or cramped as a result?

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by squeakymcgillicuddy View Post
    I was at the bike shop yesterday & they said the Fuel EX is due for release on the 16th August. Travel 130/140 as stated above with same components as last year. Apparently it has frame storage similar to Specialized swat box in down tube.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I was at the bike shop yesterday & they said the Fuel EX is due for release on the 16th August. Travel 130/140 as stated above with same components as last year. Apparently it has frame storage similar to Specialized swat box in down tube.
    Still Fox 34, then? I'm almost wishing for a Grip2 36 option.
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Interesting comment about the Ripley STA. Is it too steep?.
    Do you feel too far forward or cramped as a result?
    I posted detail on the Ripley thread some weeks ago but====I found the STA and low stack caused too much pressure on my hands to the point of real pain after an hour. The cockpit was a bit tight but workable----I am one of a growing number of folks (certainly a minority) that are finding the bikes pushing the limits of the new geo just not working for them. If there is any common element it seems to affect the long legged more as the sat to bar drop is increased and of course those with some hand issue. Note I had no such issue with the Pivot 429 Trail with a 1.5 degree less steep STA I think and a bit more handle bar height.

I think there are enough folks struggling that everyone needs to test ride and not buy due to hype or whatever

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    The top fuel,Slash and remedy 2020 have been released in Australia allready,but not the standard fuel.Doubt there is gonna be another full Stache judging by the reaction from the local trek dealer

mtbr member
    Jul 2017

Points of note:
    • 140mm Front Travel
    • 130mm Rear Travel

What about the tire size, still 2.4"??? I was hoping for a 2.6 (or at least 2.5), the 2020 Top Fuel tire size is at 2.4.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TrekWarMachine View Post
    What about the tire size, still 2.4"??? I was hoping for a 2.6 (or at least 2.5), the 2020 Top Fuel tire size is at 2.4.

I know tires are expensive so I don't throw this out lightly, but if it can fit 2.6's that's all I care about....but yeah, I'd hope it came with 2.6's as well, with room for 2.8's as long as we're asking....

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I know tires are expensive so I don't throw this out lightly, but if it can fit 2.6's that's all I care about....but yeah, I'd hope it came with 2.6's as well, with room for 2.8's as long as we're asking....
    I like running 2.6 front/2.4 rear....so Iíd take the front one off, store it carefully for future use on the rear, put a 2.6 up front, and essentially have two seasonsí worth of rubber.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Looks like the "swat" storage rumour may be true

Trek 2020 MY-67121447_2397460697009712_6242356702671273984_n.png

-C-
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Great stuff, really like integrated storage on bikes now, especially as I don't (nor do I want to) ride with a backpack.

Still hoping they get brave with the new Fuel EX and really push the boat out on the geometry (relatively speaking or course, this is Trek we are talking about).

Given that trail bikes now make the Slash look out-dated there is plenty of room to push the boundaries a little, given with what they have done with the Top Fuel.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I think this picture is a road bike, isn't it ? Look at the front wheel and fork.

Off the back...
    Quote Originally Posted by evildos View Post
    I think this picture is a road bike, isn't it ? Look at the front wheel and fork.
    You are correct, it is a road bike. That said, odds are good that we'll see internal storage on future Trek carbon frames.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast