Thinking of making a trade...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Thinking of making a trade...

Here's the deal a little over a year ago I got a new 6500 trek I love the bike...Haven't really had any problems with it. My thing is that a local bike shop in my area accepts trade ins....The bike I would want to get is the 2011 Cobia....because I just really want to ride a 29er and I'm a trek guy love trek bikes...and with my budget and everything the cobia seems like the best bang for the buck! Do you believe this is a down grade or would it be a good move? Just want some thoughts on this...

mtbr member
    I don't think it's a downgrade at all if you do in fact trade it in. I think that if you like the Cobia enough after a test ride then I say go for it! If you can swing a good deal, maybe give the X-Caliber a test ride as well. Something tells me the Sawyer, although rigid, looks like a really fun bike too!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Yeah it all depends on my budget...I have a couple months to go. I don't think the Cobia will be there to test ride...It'll be a bike that I have to order I'm sure! Yeah the more I've been reading on the Gary Fisher hardtail 29ers alot of people are raging about the X-Cal....If a really good deal were to come up I'd might think about getting it. The sawyer does look cool....I love the old school look with the modern 29er twist to it....A sharp bike to get around on....But I'd be hesitant on the trails being the fork doesn't have suspension...But the frame does look awesome though!....I like the Cobia right now because yes the colors pop at you...But I haven't read any bad reviews just yet....

I mentioned the whole downgrade thing....Because on the Trek sight the 6500 is retailed more than the Cobia....So that got me thinking if the Cobia had cheap parts or what not...

I ride my share of trails....But nothing too crazy! I ride where there are alot of roots I'm not making any 3-4 foot drops or anything but I'd like to know if the Cobia could handle it..

mtbr member
    I'd definitely go with the X-Cal over the Cobia just for the fork alone, not to mention the other components. Reba vs a lower-end model Recon, no contest. The fork is the most expensive thing to upgrade on a bike also.
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

mtbr member
    The Cobia can handle those trails you speak of, and probably better then the 6500. As what BaeckerX1 say's, yes, definitely try to get the X-Caliber over the Cobia because of the fork and parts spec, but the Cobia is still a really good buy...plus, that orange paint is really nice!!

Members who have read this thread: 0