Which should I buy? 1998 Trek 6500 or 2008 Trek 820?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2011

Which should I buy? 1998 Trek 6500 or 2008 Trek 820?

Hi guys, I'm new to this site, found it while I started to research and get back into biking and this site is definitely one of the best! My last bike got stolen in college and I've been wanting one for a long time but am now serious about picking one up.

I have found two nice treks on craigslist, and older 6500 vs. a 3 year old 820.

The 1998 Trek 6500 is going for $300 or a 2008 Trek 820 for $150. Both seems to be in pretty good shape. Any recommendations between the two? I'd really appreciate any input! Thanks guys

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I think the 6500 is going to be higher end. Do you know what components are on it such as the shifters and brakes? The 820 is more of an entry level and you will prob go for the 6500 if you want to do any thing serious with MTBing.
    Spinnin' & Grinnin'

Founder: Dirty3hirties
    The 6500 may have been a better bike back in 1998 but that is a seriously old bike. It may look great, may be structurally sound but bikes have changed considerably in 13 years.

Eventhough in 1998, the components (by name) may have been higher end than what is on the 820, lower end parts nowadays (especially suspension design) are MUCH better than most anything 13 years ago.

My first bike was a GT Avalanche....retailed for $1000.....probably a 97-98' model and the Marzhocchi fork it had is garbage even compared to the lowest end forks today. That same bike, brand spankin' new wouldn't sell for more than $250 today. Shifters outdated, cantilever brakes, old style bb/cranks.

I'm going to assume the 6500 comes with a suspension fork...even a bike in 1998 should have one. The most glaring problem would be 1) ANY fork it has would probably have 2" of travel...I doubt anything more. My Avalanche had 2"!!! I can't even imagine riding a bike with that limited amount of travel nowadays 2) It's going to need servicing and if it needs any parts, it's going to be tough to find. 3) Replacing that fork is going to cost money plus most forks have 3+ in. in travel. You're going to alter the geometry adding any fork taller than whatever fork it has now. That's not necessarily bad, but it is a huge potential problem in my book.

Even if you were not interested in a high end bike, there have been subtle changes to geometry and fit so the 6500 would be outdated in that sense as well.

I'm not advocating that you get the 820 though. It is pretty low end relative to Trek's other current offerings. Trying to compare a 13 year old bike to something that is current but cheaper is hard to do. You're really comparing apples to oranges. A gpod analogy to use is the difference between a TV from 13 years ago and one from today. If you had a large screen projection TV from 13 years ago, it may have sold for $2000+. What would you get for it today? Nothing...you couldn't pay me to have it.

Members who have read this thread: 0