A Season on the 2010 Trek Remedy- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

A Season on the 2010 Trek Remedy

Well itís been one Season on the 2010 Trek Remedy and thought I would give you guys my thoughts. I started off with a mission to build up a true Do-It-All-Bike due to being low on funds in 2010. A lot of us saw some cuts due to the economy in 2009 and 2010. I thought it would be fun to build up this Week-In-Warrior bike. So I started off by talking to my local Trek Rep and took delivery on a 2010 Trek Remedy 7 in Feb of 2010. I choose this bike because I had a 2008 Remedy before and loved it. Once I took delivery of the bike, I knew it would need some upgrades to please my riding style and needs.

A little about me:
    I have been racing DH/DS/4x on and off for over 13 years. I like a bike that gives some feedback from the trail. Most bikes that do this are Single Pivots as Virtual Pivots have a little more dead feel to them. I have raced on many different styles of Frame Designs over the years. I like a bike can provide a feeling between a normal Single Pivot and a Virtual Pivot. Treks ABP/Split Pivot provides that feeling. You can get good feedback from the trail without the problems you see that most Single Pivots have. You know, like pedal feedback, pedal bob, brake jack, and that hang up feeling when your floating through rock gardens. Most Virtual Pivots, donít provide good feedback from the trail due to the way the track the trail. Now that is not a bad thing!!! I am just saying for me, I like that feeling between. Others may like the way a Single Pivot feels or a Virtual Pivot feels.

On to the bike build:
    As I knew the stock build would not please me, I called up some of my great sponsors from the past for some help. What I was looking for was 160mm fork up front with adjustable travel to be able to handle the DH trails I like to ride here in the South. The trouble is the climb up, having a 160mm fork, makes it harder to climb the steep trails. The front tends to pull up. Well with the adjustable travel, you can drop the front down for the climb, then open the fork up for the DH runs. As for the rear suspension, Trek didnít leave us many options with the new DVRC style Fox Rear shock. One thing I missed from my 2008 Remedy as I put a Fox DHX 5.0 coil on it and boy did it make that bike feel sick. Trek please bring back the normal shock mounts!!! Next was the drive train. I wanted set it up like I have setup most of all my bikes in the past. Single speed up front with a chain guide and 9 speed in the rear. Gearing was 32th up front and a 34/11 in the rear. The stock cranks were just you run of the mill low end mountain bike cranks. I wanted to upgrade them to something light but strong. From there the wheels were next. The All-Mt wheel set that came with the bike were just too light. I knew I was going to need something a little stronger and could fit at least a 2.35 tire for DH riding. I was happy with the stock Brakes, so I left them on. Now was the Seat and Controls. I put on a low rise wide bar with a short stem. For the seat and post the goal was to drop weight.

The Specs:
    2011 Remedy 17.5 frame 150mm rear travel
    2011 Rock Shox Lyrik 2-Step Air 115mm -160mm travel
    2011 Fox RP3 DRVC Rear Shock
    Avid Elixir 5ís 170mm
    MRP Chamber Cranks 170mm
    MRP 32th Chain Ring
    MRP G2 Mini Chain Guide
    Answer 30Ē Lower Rise Bars
    Thomson 4x 50mm Stem
    Sram Chain
    X9 Rear Shifter
    X9 Rear Derailleur
    Sram 34/11 Cassette
    Thomson Seat Post
    WTB Seat
    Azonic Outlaws
    Crank Brothers Pedals
    Tires, well depends on what I am riding that day, Sizes from 2.1Ē to 2.35Ē

Bike build weight:
    30.20lbs with All-Mt Tires
    31.5lbs with DH Tires

Geo:
    66 HA
    22.5" TT
    45.5" WB
    13.8" BB

Thoughts on performance:
    I have done everything from 30 mile XC rides to Race DH on this bike over the past season. I can say this is a true Do-It-All bike build. Climbing with the Lyrik dropped down to 115mm really made it easier to climb than running it in 160mm mode. The Remedy itself climbs as well as any 4Ē travel bike I have owned or ridden. When I was at the top of the Mt. I just dropped down the seat and opened up the Lyrik to 160mm mode. There was a lot of front in flex with the stock 150mm Fox Float 32 on it when riding DH. After putting the Lyrik on it like what came stock on the earlier models, really provided the stiffness and plushness I was looking for from the font of the bike. The lyric is butter!!! I am 175lbs and I run about 55psi at all times with the High-Speed set half way and the Low-Speed all the way open. As for the Rear Suspension well I knew I had my work cut out for me to find the setup I wanted out of a Fox RP3 DRVC. I will say I never found that!!! Trek really messed the Remedy up by building it around the DRVC rear shock. Ended up leaving 145psi in the shock. You ether had it setup to stiff and the bike didnít track as well as I wanted or you had the setup soft and blew through the travel to get traction. Being able to put a good Coil Shock on the bike really makes it way better!!! Too bad you can without modifying the frame some. The ABP/Split Pivot really helps out with braking. With only running 150mm in the rear I am shocked you donít feel any brake jack. No feedback when standing and dropping down on the pedals when pushing it hard on the trail. One other thing I really like about this bike is it feels like you on rails when being aggressive in the turns. Here in the South trails are tight and being able to whip it around is a most to go fast here. You can do this on this bike!!! When I hit the slopes for the few DH races I did this year I was really shocked as I got faster on my runs throughout the day the bike held up really good. Yes, It was nowhere as nice as being on a full on DH rig and I couldnít compete at the level I wanted to from being held back to the bikes limits. Well, this wasnít what I built the bike up for. I will say for most racers looking for a Weekend Warrior Bike build this will be plenty and you will have a smile from ear to ear doing so. It has been a great bike and I will be sad letting it go as I will be riding for a different brand this coming season, but will recommend the Trek Remedy built up this way to anyone looking for a True Do-It-All bike that is a Weekend Warrior.

Cecil Linder
    Ride!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Nice post!

mtbr member
    Good post. It seems like your the perfect candit for the new Scratch.

Erik

mtbr member
    really nice build... i really like the Remedy and i think it will be my next bike when i move on from the Fuel
    Current Rides:
    Trek Stache

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bedell99
    Good post. It seems like your the perfect candit for the new Scratch.

Erik
    Not really, the scratch is not a "do everything" bike. It is a "pedal to the top so you can DH down." Trek has it listed that way on their website, and thats what it is. The OP was clearly using it as a "do everything" bike.

Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by William42
    Not really, the scratch is not a "do everything" bike. It is a "pedal to the top so you can DH down." Trek has it listed that way on their website, and thats what it is. The OP was clearly using it as a "do everything" bike.
    I'd agree with that. the scratch is much more DH orientated than the remedy. while the scratch is a surprising climber, its certainly not an all rounder like the remedy.

I also agree with the adjustable travel fork on the remedy. while the OPs build here is pretty solid. Its worth mentioning that with a change of parts, the remedy is also a perfect candidate for as a longer travel, fairly lightweight all mountain or XC rig. a good friend of mine has a sub 26lb remedy that climbs as well as a fuel ex9

Commit or eat sh!t
    Is the HA 66 accurate? I thought it was 68 per Trek's website with 150mm fork.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    What was the weight as-delivered? I'm trying to decide between a Remedy and a Fuel EX. Leaning towards the Fuel right now, but a Remedy might convince me to go do some DH/AM riding this summer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crack Monkey
    What was the weight as-delivered? I'm trying to decide between a Remedy and a Fuel EX. Leaning towards the Fuel right now, but a Remedy might convince me to go do some DH/AM riding this summer.
    29.67lbs stock. Remedy 7. I have a friend that has his built at 26.4lbs.

My Remedy will be up for sell soon. I wouldn't be getting rid of it if I wasn't sponsored by another company this year.

Cecil
    Ride!

Mi nombre es Austin
    I have a solution that worked for me on the DRCV shock, I ride the same stufff as you, DH races, and lonnnnnng xc rides,

now the shock blew through the travel at lowpressure and felt harch at high pressure,

what I did is unscrewed the top cap of the shock revealing the 2nd chamber, I made a peice of rubber to fit snuggly in the 2nd chamber when the cap is screwwed down, this effectively decreased the volume of the 2nd chamber causing the shock to ramp up or become stiffer at the end of the travel

I still get full travel but I just have a better bottom out control, this prevents the bike from falling too deeply into the travel on extended hits(rock gardens) but it still allows the 1 st chamber to absorb small trail chatter

PM me if you want to know more information on this set-up

keep in mind the second you begin to unscrew the top cap your warranty will be voided, altho I haven't experienced any air loss over the period of 6months there is a possibility of that occurring
    If a XC bike with 4 in. of travel goes down the RedBull Rampage course and nobody is there to see it, is it considered DH

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Bringing back an old post, but I'm wondering how the OP liked those Outlaw wheels? I'm looking at getting a set because they seem to be a relatively inexpensive option, while offering an upgrade over the stock wheels. Anyone know the weight of the stock Duster's?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Awesome writeup, I have the same Remedy and also would like the front fork, but I think a fork with higher A2C will void my warranty. ... ?

Members who have read this thread: 0