Remedy 8 cracked chainstay- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Remedy 8 cracked chainstay

I cracked a weld in my XL 2008 Remedy 8 chainstay and it doesn't look like trek will cover it as I don't have the original receipt for the bike.

Anyone have an XL Remedy frame or better yet just the chainstay from an XL 2008 Remedy 8?

My LBS is checking w/ Trek to see if they'll sell me a new one.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I wish you the best of luck, Cracked Chain Stays are one of the most frustrating situations to go through with a bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    thanks. you can see the crack is 3" long or so. goes right down the middle of the weld. hopefully trek can help me out. not sure why the warranty is void if you don't save the original receipt. there's no question, they made this frame and it cracked on a weld. other than this issue the bike has been a joy. just rock solid.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Remedy 8 cracked chainstay-cimg8010.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    here's a better shot. it's a monster crack.

if ur riding a Remedy, u may wanta check this spot for signs of a crack.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Remedy 8 cracked chainstay-cimg8016.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    WOW. I'm saving my receipt.
    2011 Remedy 9, for everything.
    2008 Jamis Kromo, for back yard pump track.
    2009 Hoffman BMX, to break my neck.

I hate that name.
    Quote Originally Posted by timsan View Post
    thanks. you can see the crack is 3" long or so. goes right down the middle of the weld. hopefully trek can help me out. not sure why the warranty is void if you don't save the original receipt. there's no question, they made this frame and it cracked on a weld. other than this issue the bike has been a joy. just rock solid.
    It's more about proving that you are the original owner. Is your lbs the shop where you bought the bike? Do they keep records?
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Firstly, that's a heck of a crack.

Secondly, the shop you bought it from had to serialize it (record the serial number and report that they received that bike from Trek). That serial number then should have processed as being sold as soon as you paid for it regardless to whether you registered the bike with Trek after the purchase (which you should still do).

I've had 3 warranty claims on my 2001 Fuel 100. Never used a receipt. First one was at the shop I bought it from, the next two in different shops in different states. I had to confirm with the outside rep what shop I originally bought it from and it was good to go.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    worst case scenario: find a high quality TIG welder that knows his stuff. It can be repaired but you never know how the new heat will effect the tubes' strength.

Levi Early
    You can certainly have your lbs sell you the rear chainstays. all they have to do is log into their dexter account and pull up the parts list for your bike. it is that simple, there is a part number for that piece.

where are you located at? if you are in the south bay area i might be able to help you out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    The lbs is checking w/ trek. I'm not sure what the story is now on the cost, as when i checked w/ them today they said they put a call into the "warranty dept" at trek and that the warranty dept is slow to respond. they said the part has not changed and the 2011 version is the exactly the same (except for the color) as the 2008

do you have any idea what the part number is or what is sells for? I am in the south bay. thanks for the help.

Levi Early
    check your private messages

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    i saw the PM, tried to reply but don't have enough post yet, but that was me in the shop today.

Levi Early
    drop me an email at [email protected] then. I can get a part number for you tomorrow on that chainstay. where did you buy the bike from originally? Trek can be pretty stingy about not having proper documentation for warranty issues. They have a stipulation that any warranty claims must be from the original owner. Anyway I will do what I can to help you out. If you just want to drop by again ask for me. My name is Levi and I will be happy to see what I can do to help you out and get you back out on the trail.

SoCal mtbr
    Quote Originally Posted by blunderbuss View Post
    It's more about proving that you are the original owner. Is your lbs the shop where you bought the bike? Do they keep records?
    What blonderbuss said...Sounds like the OP is not the original owner since he did not reply to this post and is going forward with buying a replacement part. It's pretty simple to contact the store you purchased the bike from. They would have had your name, e-mail, phone number and address on file along with the serial number to the bike you purchased new from them IF you had actually been the original owner.

It bugs the hell out of me when people claim they were stiffed on a warranty claim when in fact it was not a valid claim either because they were not the original owner or the crashed and tried to claim the were JRA...blah blah blah
    Instagram: @steven_bikes

2018 Transition Sentinel Carbon aka Sledge Hammer

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    thx levi, i'll give the svc guys a few more days and if its going nowhere i'll ping u.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    i also posted on pinkbike and CsL asking if anyone has a damaged XL Remedy frame that i could cannibalize the chain stay off of. got few sympathy notes but not much more.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    i don't want to bore u w/ to much detail, but the lbs never asked me anything but "do you have the paperwork?" and "did u buy it here?". I said no and no. they then said "well it can't be covered under warranty".

it would seem to make sense to look at what broke, determine if it's a workmanship issue or something else (like a crash), maybe look up the serial #, ask if your the original purchaser and go from there.

I hate that name.
    i don't want to bore u w/ to much detail, but the lbs never asked me anything but "do you have the paperwork?" and "did u buy it here?". I said no and no. they then said "well it can't be covered under warranty".

it would seem to make sense to look at what broke, determine if it's a workmanship issue or something else (like a crash), maybe look up the serial #, ask if your the original purchaser and go from there.
    Those are my first two questions also, although not in that order. Broken bike comes in, assuming I don't already know the person, and "Did you get it here?" because I can just get all the info I need from my computer. If the answer is no, then its "Do you have the original receipt, or did you register the bike on Trek's website?". If the answer is no and no, then its "Sorry man, maybe we can get you a crash replacement deal." Whether it is crash damage or defect is irrelevant if you're not the original owner.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Is Trek always like this?

Finally heard back from Trek, they want $1000 for just the chain stay part.

Why would they offer it at such a price? Just say we don't sell it. No one is going pay $1000 to fix a 2009 frame just to have another part break next yr. IMO they just end up angering the users.

I rode the bike for 2 1/2 seasons and really liked it, but working w/ Trek to get it fixed for a reasonable price is crazy rough.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    $1k is just ridiculous for a replacement stay. That's 2/3 of the way toward buying a high end aluminum frame with shock from a number of good manufacturers. Over 1/3 of the way from buying a new complete Remedy 7! Even if you aren't the original owner, that's flat out price gouging. Trek should realize owners of their pre-owned frames are prospective buyers of new frames down the road.

Trail Rider
    That's a ridiculous price. Sounds like the LBS is trying to gouge you. I'd be interested to know what Trek's cost on that part is. Probably not anywhere near $1000.
    2020 SC Hightower

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Wow 1K for a replacement chain stay...that is just insane.
    I just ordered a 12 EX8 and almost didn't buy a Trek because it only has a 2 year warranty on the triangle. I have not seen any complaints of failures on the redesigned frames so I decided to roll the dice on the new 2012 frame... fingers crossed.
    Last edited by ViperX; 08-19-2011 at 03:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    the LBS was sympathetic to my plight. they also could not believe the price trek was charging them. the service guy told me it was $863. he said "not only is trek screwing you but we can't make any money w/ a 14% markup"

i sent a note directly to Trek asking if they could do anything to help get me back on the trail. when (and if) i hear back from them I'll post the response.

mtbr member
    I talked to my inside guy today and he gave me the same $800 price. He looked into it more and found out the price is wrong in Trek's system. Call the shop back and ask if they can check the price again. Retail should be $300 for just the stays. Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thanks for the help. $300 sounds much better. that's a more reasonable price. I'll check back w/ the shop.

Also Trek Corporate sent me a note saying they would look into it and asked me what shop quoted me the price.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I had a similar issue with a Gian AC Airlite. I was the second owner, so after breaking the chainstay I was SH*t outta luck. I went into my local Giant dealer explained what happened and asked if there was anyway I could get a replacement frame at a lower price, the Giant rep said they don't sell frames on a particular basis. So I ended up buying a new frame elsewhere. After reading many good reviews on here I purchased a Mountain Cycle Fury frame. It's only got a 2 year warranty, but MC has a 50/50 crash replacement program. If you're the second owner or out of warranty they'll sell you a replacement frame at 50% OFF. I've been riding my Fury for almost a year and I ended up building it with alll new parts, and I love it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Trek called my LBS and yes Trek did have the price incorrect in their system. the correct price is $300.

Thanks for all the help, i should have the Remedy back on the trail soon.

Trek did a good job working out the problem.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Good to see you got your issue resolved.
    $300 bucks is a reasonable price.

mtbr member
    they said the part has not changed and the 2011 version is the exactly the same (except for the color) as the 2008
    Glad it's taken care of, but just a heads up. The 2008 isn't the same as the 10-12. The chainstays are on the outside of the seatstays from 10 on up. Unlike previous years where the seatstays were outside the chainstays. ttyl, Fahn
    Hubbard Bike Club