BKB
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Rear Brake Noise

I rode my EX9 for the 4th time today and have a nasty rear brake sound when breaking hard into turns or switchbacks. Anyone experience this problem? The sound is a loud grabbing sound that sounds like something is going to snap.

Trying a little
    be sure to check both bolts are tight on your caliper holding it to the disk brake tabs! If one bolt backs out entirely, the caliper will rotate and get caught in the rotor and frame, and it's game over. I know somebody who had this happen, but on the front. Result was not pretty.

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

mtbr member
    i have that sound too in my ex8..

idk why, try to sand the brake pads

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I was out riding today with my friends and my rear break started to have some crazy as sound that sounds like something is going to break. I will have to check out the bolts if anyone knows something else please tell.

I will let you know about the bolts.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I had that on my new 09 6700, juicy 3's. Just the rear made a grabbing sound, some squeaks,and some thumping. Went away permanently after I went down a paved hill at about 30mph and just rode the rear brake all the way down the hill. The sounds went away.
    2009 Trek 6700D

BKB
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I'll try that to see if it helps.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    My EX 9.5 sometimes makes a noise on the rear brake that vibrates the frame. It depends on how much pression I put on the blockage wheel blockage.

Lionel Hutz, Esq.
    This sounds like a case of the Juicy brake warble. There's a "mega-thread" in the brake forum discussing it. I, personally, have solved this problem by adding one washer to each of the bolts attaching the caliper to the frame adapter. This lifts the caliper up just a little bit and it's reduced the sound almost entirely. I can still hear some at the end of the ride if I brake hard, but it's basically gone. I have a bias toward the front brake anyway. If you have a few hours to read a lot of posts, check out the Juicy "mega-thread" in the brake forum.
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    1999 Trek 7000 --- Dragonfly Green = Sexy
    2002 Trek 2100
    2008 Felt New Belgium Cruiser

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Anyone try organic brake pads? I used to work for Trek and when people would bring in their EX's that were squeaking we would put in organic brake pads in instead of the metal ones.

Lionel Hutz, Esq.
    Quote Originally Posted by redbull88
    Anyone try organic brake pads? I used to work for Trek and when people would bring in their EX's that were squeaking we would put in organic brake pads in instead of the metal ones.
    Generally, you're right. Organic pads are usually quieter than their metal brothers. However, swapping pad material doesn't always remedy the problem on Juicy brakes. I think the problem is with Avid's design. Not to disparage the Juicy line. I think they're great brakes. They just have a tendency to howl - the rear brake, especially. I've solved this problem, but my solution hasn't worked for everyone. Again, I think the Juicy Warble "mega-thread" in the brake forum is worth a look.
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    2002 Trek 2100

mtbr member
    I have the same issue with my Top Fuel with juicy 7. I just pulled the pads and was amazed as to how pitted they were after just over a year. Thus I replaced them , so we'll see what it does when I hit the trail.

mtbr member
    i send mine to the lbs to take a look, i think they calibrate them or idk

no more turkey sound!

responsible zombie owner
    NB there were issues with Ex 8 frames breaking in front of the weld on the chainstays (IIRC), check your frame has a pointed/triangular weld not the older square-edged ones. all Ex 8s coming off the factory lines now have the redesigned weld. apparently the ABP system put more strain on the frame than was expected under braking in certain conditions.

Trek will fix the problem if you take it to your LBS under warranty.

mtbr member
    can someone post a pic of the weld idk how to identify it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FueLEX8
    can someone post a pic of the weld idk how to identify it
    The long thread showing pics of broken bikes and pics of the fixed weld is the link below. Look at post #134 on page 6 and post #191 on page 8 for the corrected weld:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...k+fuel+ex+2008

HAL
    mtbr member

I changed the pads

I had some issues with noise and pulsation when I got the bike, I swapped to the organic pads and they have been trouble free since.

BKB
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I'm goig to try the organics & hope they work.

mtbr member
    I too have experienced the rear brake noise on my EX8. My guess is it has to do with the ABP brake pivot moving to allow the rear tire to track the ground during hard braking over rough sufaces. That's my guess. I don't see how pads gripping the rotor would make that type of what I call a clicking noise.

Lionel Hutz, Esq.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr67
    I too have experienced the rear brake noise on my EX8. My guess is it has to do with the ABP brake pivot moving to allow the rear tire to track the ground during hard braking over rough sufaces. That's my guess. I don't see how pads gripping the rotor would make that type of what I call a clicking noise.
    Lots of Juicy users have experienced noise from the back brake and the vast majority of them don't ride a Trek. This problem goes beyond Trek. It may be a frame issue, but it's a frame issue that plagues frames from lots of different manufacturers. Check out the Juicy "mega-thread' in the brake forum for more info.
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    2002 Trek 2100

Mobster
    Jul 2007
    Is this affecting braking performance or is it just an announce? My rear brake sometimes vibrates the whole bike, but it still stops and thats what matters to me.

Lionel Hutz, Esq.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkimods
    Is this affecting braking performance or is it just an announce? My rear brake sometimes vibrates the whole bike, but it still stops and thats what matters to me.
    No, it doesn't really affect braking. I guess you could say that some people are less prone to use the rear brake because of the noise. The Juicy brakes are good brakes and there are ways to silence them. They're just loud brakes.
    2007 Trek Fuel EX 8
    2002 Trek 2100

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I can only assume this is in the Avid "mega -thread" but if you are trying to deal with vibrations/warble there is an automotive product called "disc brake quiet". It is applied to the backside of the brake pad and damps vibrations. You should clean the pads with isopropyl alcohol, and use some scotch brite and isopropyl on the rotor's braking surface. Apply a thin coat of the disc brake quiet on the back side of the pad, leaving the middle hole free of the goop. You need to wait at least 15 minutes for the stuff to dry then reinstall the pads. The product is "silicone" or "rubber" like and will help minimize vibrations in between the pad and caliper. This is a trick from the Sram/Avid folks and may be used in conjunction with or instead of changing the pads to organic. I have had good success with this on several customer's bikes- the only down side is the stuff can make reinstalling them a little more tedious.

Good Luck!
    Anyone who rides a bike is a friend of mine.
    My favorite bike is whatever I am riding.
    My favorite trail is where ever I am.
    Bikes and equipment are replaceable, friends and trails are not.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr67
    I too just started hearing a clicking noise on my EX9, but noticed only after a long downhill technical section with rear brake on practically the whole time (and the brake very hot) combined with hitting a bump big enough to move the suspension a lot. Doesn't make the noise any other time, and the noise stops a few minutes later after I'm off the brakes.

I bought it as a frame-only and it was shipped with the ABP pivots not installed, so had to do that myself, so I was thinking maybe I overtightened them or maybe the heat caused things to expand. I loosed the top shock mount so I could move the suspension thru its travel, and seemed to notice some binding. I then released the ABP skewer (which I had super super tight) and the suspension moved much more freely. I ended up taking the ABP apart and putting grease around the bearings and the surfaces around the bearing, and put the skewer on 'normal' tight. Suspension moves nice and freely now. I'll have to try that long downhill again to see if I solved the problem or not.

Members who have read this thread: 0