Procaliber?- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Procaliber?

mtbr member

Procaliber?

Any real life experience with the Procaliber ? I'm thinking of one to replace my Superfly 100 for marathons
    cheers
    Pagey

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I took a 9.7 out on a test ride yesterday and talked to the shop owner about the design. The compliance from the Isospeed bearing only comes into play when you're seated. It appears to be a marathon specific race design. I'm looking for more vertical seat stay compliance when standing to run through technical trail sections with rocks and roots. Demo Days for my area will be the end of October.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Demo Days for my area will be the end of October.
    where is that if may ask? Trek has only one demo listed on their site at the moment which is irritating. Hope the demo truck get around to NE.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_m View Post
    where is that if may ask? Trek has only one demo listed on their site at the moment which is irritating. Hope the demo truck get around to NE.
    SE Michigan.
    Start asking your larger dealers to work on getting one for your area. All the new and changed bikes, you gotta demo.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    The compliance from the Isospeed bearing only comes into play when you're seated.
    IME, this is mostly, but not completely, true. But it's definitely far more noticeable when seated.

Still, this will be my next hardtail (which I only replace about every 8 years, whether I need it or not).
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    IME, this is mostly, but not completely, true. But it's definitely far more noticeable when seated.

Still, this will be my next hardtail (which I only replace about every 8 years, whether I need it or not).
    My 9.8 SF has 70% of the amount of compliance, none in the seat tube, all noticeable as rear compliance when standing and descending. You get a benefit from that while seated also. I'll be able to compare at a demo.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    My 9.8 SF has 70% of the amount of compliance, none in the seat tube, all noticeable as rear compliance when standing and descending. You get a benefit from that while seated also. I'll be able to compare at a demo.
    The 9.8 does have excellent compliance built into the seat stays. The new ProCaliber also has that same compliance built into the seatstays, PLUS the isoSpeed coupler.

For me, it would be a no-brainer choice.

I'll take both areas of compliance, thank you very much!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    That would be great, if true.
    Trek’s Procaliber hardtail with inbuilt seat tube flex (VIDEO) - MBR
    This review suggests a demo is in order.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I have ridden a 9.8 SF with a hi flex seatpost for a year now. I have a 15.5 frame which is probably a size small so the seatpost is at max length which gives it max travel. I have ridden techy rock gardens to gravel grinding when it's wet here and trails closed. I am guessing this is about what a procaliber is since I get an inch of fore aft travel with the seatpost. I find that for what I would call neg deflection situations such as a dimple or hole in the ground it works great. It flexes back and takes pressure off your back and helps keep momentum up. Great for gravel riding. On pos deflection such as small raised rocks or raised uneven ground it isn't nearly as good. Bike pops up and you have to lightly unseat as you usually would on a HT. Yes it is better than a pure HT but not nearly as compliant as my Fuel. I have actually gone to racing with my Fuel for XC events since it evens terrain out better and is ultimately faster. If I were doing marathon racing I would do a light fuel or top fuel since there isn't a huge weight penalty but you will be fresh longer

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lewis17web View Post
    Yes it is better than a pure HT but not nearly as compliant as my Fuel. I have actually gone to racing with my Fuel for XC events since it evens terrain out better and is ultimately faster. If I were doing marathon racing I would do a light fuel or top fuel since there isn't a huge weight penalty but you will be fresh longer
    Same, same. I endurance raced a Fuel EX this past season. Going in, I had the normal racer boy reservations about weight and travel both being a bit excessive, but I couldn't have ended up happier.

But I still want to add a ProCaliber to the garage sometime in the next year or so! It will be an improvement on the mtb hardtail bike, without "stepping on the toes" of my Fuel EX.

I'm sure the Top Fuel will rip for pure xc, but 100 mm no longer suits me for a variety of reasons, and I'm not tiny, so I don't necessarily think that the "extra" carbon weight in a Fuel EX frame is a bad thing for me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    That would be great, if true.
    Trek’s Procaliber hardtail with inbuilt seat tube flex (VIDEO) - MBR
    This review suggests a demo is in order.
    Wouldn't this be the answer, albeit not from Trek? teamelite 01 XX1 ? mountain ? BMC Switzerland

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'm waiting to demo the Procal.
    So far it appears to be a full on Marathon race bike for the top level competitor as is logical from Trek for their top hardtail bike.
    I'm on par(at best) with the mid-level carbon Superfly 9.8 not produced for elite racers. I should be waiting for this technology to trickle down to my level. New stuff is always interesting. At my level I want to use this to expand further the difficulty of terrain I can ride with a simple light bicycle. The Boost front and rear is necessary to try 3" wide tires and wide rims for more All Mountain or whatever performance. I can't get that tire on the back of my bike. I have 30mm internal rims now. The Procal can take a dropper in a regular size too.
    So what I want isn't more sitting down where I like to ride. I want to be able to stand up with the seat down and get through rock gardens for fun without getting beat up over longer rides. I want a 21 pound simple bike at a mid-level price. I hope Trek produces it. Lots of riders could use it.

BMC doesn't have clearance or anything more than my current bike and may not have the engineered compliance quality I've already got. Plus the price is not reasonable for me in comparison.
    Canyon is finally saying they are coming to the US. They may bring a good product. They don't have a Boost hardtail now. The Grand Canyon would be a good basis for a competive upgrade.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    eb1888, you live in southwestern Michigan, correct? It is totally flat (by Rocky Mountain standards at least), sandy/packed trails, roots/downed trees, water, but there no chunky rocks/ledges. Am I right? I am trying to get a bearing on what interests you and why.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    SE Michigan. My favorite loop at Stony Creek is hardpack with some loose, not much sand, loam in spots. Lots of roots and round rocks interspersed with quick ups and downs, sharp turns and sweeping off cambers, many close trees and between everything a different feature every 20 feet or so on my favorite segment. Technically challenging. The builders were artists.
    Many riders on fs but I don't think there is enough extended elevation change at once to make one mandatory. This lets every level of rider use it. You can feel beat up after 90 minutes on hardtail so that explains the fs bikes for some. My carefully setup SF 9.8 has every trick to avoid fs. Staying on hardtail will keep it fun for a long time.
    Michigan USAC State MTB races and others are often run here.
    I take this bike to Phoenix too.

mtbr member
    Rode one of these at a demo today and came away thinking that was one hell of a bike. At this point I'm convinced that'll be my next bike. I also rode a top fuel and loved it but can't have both. The procal felt extremely "quick". I still need to do a little research to see what's different about it geometry wise from the niner I've been on but it was in another league from my current hardtail.

Didn't notice a whole lot with the isospeed. It's more noticeable on my boone but I'm sure it makes a difference. Just didn't feel a whole lot on a short test ride without having ridden my other bike immediately before taking it out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Awesome

So, 9.9sl is home.
    I was scared, if it will be good bike, but its awesome bike.
    Stiff, super light, comfortable for hardtail, you can sit much more than on standard ht.
    I have 21.5 size, weight 8,9kg without pedals
    Procaliber?-p50910-143242.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    That's a sweet looking bike. Ready to race out of the box.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by prague77 View Post
    So, 9.9sl is home.
    I was scared, if it will be good bike, but its awesome bike.
    Stiff, super light, comfortable for hardtail, you can sit much more than on standard ht.
    I have 21.5 size, weight 8,9kg without pedals
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P50910-143242.jpg 
Views:	5835 
Size:	250.2 KB 
ID:	1014530
    What is your height and inseam? Do me a favor and measure the length from the seat rails to the pedal spindle? Also, how much seatpost do you have inserted? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by beastmaster View Post
    What is your height and inseam? Do me a favor and measure the length from the seat rails to the pedal spindle? Also, how much seatpost do you have inserted? Thanks!
    give me few days, iam on road cycling traning in Alps
    what i know from here, iam 191cm, i inserted quite a lot of seatpost.
    The rest on Monday

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Just picked up a 9.8, size 19.5. Taking it out for an inaugural ride tomorrow night since it's been so hot in SoCal.

The bike feels very light and snappy to pedal around. I purchased it for XC and marathon racing (Leadville, Breck Epic) to ride instead of a FS 29er. I'll report back soon.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Did you go with blue or black in the 9.8? Let us know the weight and post some pics. Does look like an intriguing bike. I think I'm going to have to try one. Which is never a good idea my wife says.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Did you go with blue or black in the 9.8? Let us know the weight and post some pics. Does look like an intriguing bike. I think I'm going to have to try one. Which is never a good idea my wife says.
    I went with the blue.

Took out it for a ride tonight and I've never felt so comfortable on a new bike. Feels like I'm cheating. The Isospeed decoupler works better than I expected. Really happy with it and smooths out the ride significantly.

I'll post pics and weight tomorrow.

A-X
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I have a 9.8 in black landing hopefully in November. I've run aggressive hardtails in the past so this is a bit of a departure for me and going back to the sort of bikes I used to ride years ago when XC racing.

Originally planned to get a Domane to do road work over winter when the trials get really bad but with a recent arm injury I still didn't feel completely comfortable when having my hands on the hooks. I turned to the Procaliber instead to replace my old Hardtail over winter and also be able to run pretty comfortably on the road when I felt like it or do a commute into work which is a road / off road mix. Using my Nomad for the commute can be a little bit overkill on the road sections!

Considered the 9.9 but didn't feel the upgraded components were worth the extra cost with the fork being a bit hit and miss and lighter Carbon wheels can be sourced cheaper. It does look really good though. I looked at a Grand Canyon SLX with the RS-1 fork as it is excellent value but I really wanted the Procaliber frame for increased compliance for the types of trails I will take it on.

I already have some awesome big travel bikes in the garage but I'm genuinely excited by this bike and can't wait to get out on it. I can see me adding a Stealth Reverb dropper on it at some point just for extra fun and may experiment with an Angleset.
    Bird Aeris : Remedy 9.9 29er : Procaliber 9.8 SL

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Weight for the 9.8 with two carbon bottle cages and a few misc mounts came in at 9.45kg/20.8 pounds. Should be very easy to get it under 20 with a set of wheels I'll be building this winter (Nox Skyline rims and i9 hubs) along with a carbon seatpost and lighter saddle.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Looks fun Udyr! I'm jealous. I'm (impatiently) waiting on a new Fuel EX, and delivery is currently estimated December/January.

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh!

mtbr member
    Pics please
    cheers
    Pagey

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Procaliber?-0926151549%5B1%5D.jpg
    Here's mine. Got the frame and moved parts from a Superfly 8 which explains the blue fork decal. Picked it up yesterday but we are on day 3 of steady rain so no ride yet.
    Last edited by jmchapple; 09-27-2015 at 06:38 AM. Reason: add pic

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Here's mine:

Procaliber?-12039197_972308206122800_2847591938334100285_n.jpg

Project One.
    Went with the XTR 1x, XXX wheels, and Fox.
    20lbs, 5oz with pedals, cage, and computer mount. I gained a bit of weight swapping to XTR cranks rather than the stock RF Next SL.

Have ridden it 3 times so far and absolutely love it. It's a rocketship mtb...feels very fast so far (coming off a Superfly SL).

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    That's a cool looking bike. Careful with those wheels. Definitely just race day. I blew a few sets out last year before accepting that they are just race day wheels. They don't like any rock gardens. Why did you swap the RF crank out?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jmchapple View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0926151549[1].jpg 
Views:	15877 
Size:	137.2 KB 
ID:	1018261
    Here's mine. Got the frame and moved parts from a Superfly 8 which explains the blue fork decal. Picked it up yesterday but we are on day 3 of steady rain so no ride yet.
    Isn't the hub spacing different on the new bikes? I was considering doing the same thing and getting a Top Fuel frame and move the parts from my 2013 Superfly 100 elite...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by silves1171 View Post
    Isn't the hub spacing different on the new bikes? I was considering doing the same thing and getting a Top Fuel frame and move the parts from my 2013 Superfly 100 elite...
    Yes. I had to get a new rear hub and a new seatpost. The new post is larger diameter. Still no ride. Today is the first dry/sunny day since Friday. Fingers crossed I can get out this weekend but more rain is predicted.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    That's a cool looking bike. Careful with those wheels. Definitely just race day. I blew a few sets out last year before accepting that they are just race day wheels. They don't like any rock gardens. Why did you swap the RF crank out?
    Yeah, I had the XXX (non-boost) on my Superfly last year. They're definitely a thinner rim, but I love them for how fast they accelerate! Crazy. I have a trail bike for the rocky stuff, so I pretty much will only use the ProCal for race or similar rides.

I'm not that big of a fan of the bearing preload adjustment on the RF Next cranks, so just swapped out for a complete XTR group.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    after a few another rides.
    ProCal is awesome!!! Fast, Light...and its comfortable as well.
    I'am still waiting for that moment "where is my fullsusp?" but its not coming.
    Its good that not all of us have this bike, cause i could be faster still.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    How does it compare with the Superfly SL?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by silves1171 View Post
    How does it compare with the Superfly SL?
    Stiffer, tighter handling, faster...at least from what I can gather so far.
    I lost about 1.5 lbs going from my Superfly to my PC...of course I had 2x10 XT on my SF compared to 1x11 XTR on my PC.

I had both bikes built side by side, and the tubes are so much larger on the PC on both the BB and headtube area. Very noticeable. You feel that extra stiffness on the trail, makes it feel like a rocket when you crank the pedals...everything goes forward. I thought that my SF was fast, but I honestly felt the difference in speed & acceleration almost immediately when I got off road. Took me by surprise! I love it so far.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tswp View Post
    Stiffer, tighter handling, faster...at least from what I can gather so far.
    I lost about 1.5 lbs going from my Superfly to my PC...of course I had 2x10 XT on my SF compared to 1x11 XTR on my PC.

I had both bikes built side by side, and the tubes are so much larger on the PC on both the BB and headtube area. Very noticeable. You feel that extra stiffness on the trail, makes it feel like a rocket when you crank the pedals...everything goes forward. I thought that my SF was fast, but I honestly felt the difference in speed & acceleration almost immediately when I got off road. Took me by surprise! I love it so far.
    I got mine out yesterday for the first time. I went from the alu SF 8 and I had the same feeling about acceleration and you can really feel the give from the Isospeed

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Full review

Use google translate.
    I agree, as owner of this specific bike, with everything written there
    TEST: Trek Procaliber 9.9 SL - Testy - Recenze - Bike Technika - MTBS.cz

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Anyone have the weight for a stock Procaliber 9.7? What about a 9.8? I'm a Large, which I guess is 18.5 or 19.5 in Trek sizing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by akahn View Post
    Anyone have the weight for a stock Procaliber 9.7? What about a 9.8? I'm a Large, which I guess is 18.5 or 19.5 in Trek sizing.
    Hi,
    Take a look at this site:
    www.BicicletasGonzalo.es - Trek Pro Caliber SL 9.7. Una nueva generacin ha nacido.

I'm not sure about the 9.8, but they have a picture from 9.7 at the scale.

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    We have a Procaliber 18.5" 9.7...weighs 23 lbs, 10 oz out of the box.
    The Procaliber 9.8 weighs 21 lbs, 12 oz.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    We have a Procaliber 18.5" 9.7...weighs 23 lbs, 10 oz out of the box.
    The Procaliber 9.8 weighs 21 lbs, 12 oz.
    Thanks! I asked in another thread, but do you happen to have a Top Fuel 9 and 9.8 that you can weigh?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    FWIW, mine (post #27 and same size) weighs 23.5ish lbs. The parts are from an alu SF 8 except for wheels, rear hub an seat post.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Thanks! I asked in another thread, but do you happen to have a Top Fuel 9 and 9.8 that you can weigh?
    Not a TF 9, but a customer ordered up the TF 9.8...it came to 24 lbs even with pedals, cage, etc.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Not a TF 9, but a customer ordered up the TF 9.8...it came to 24 lbs even with pedals, cage, etc.
    Amazing what $5k gets you

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Procaliber sl frame

Double post. Sorry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Procaliber?-procaliber-9.9-frame.jpg  

Procaliber?-procaliber-9.9.jpg  

Last edited by jumbomkd; 10-28-2015 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Double post

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Procaliber 9.9 custom build

Procaliber?-procaliber-9.9-frame.jpgProcaliber?-procaliber-9.9.jpg

Hi,
    Procaliber impressed me so much so I decided to share my thoughts.
    Frame in 18.5 inch (19.5 virtual) is very light at 1.14kg (2.5 pounds) and complete bike came at 8.87kg (19.6 pounds).
    Comfort increase compared to 2014 trek superfly carbon frame (non SL) is huge, IsoSpeed indeed smooths out the trail.
    IMHO procaliber is excellent choice for XC race or even marathon bike, and certainly this is the best bike I owned.

Vlad
    Last edited by jumbomkd; 10-28-2015 at 01:02 PM.

A-X
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Took delivery on my 9.8 SL last week. I was fortunate enough to get the 9.8 version in Matt Black which isn't openly advertised for the UK market as an option to the Trek Baby Blue racing colours.

Spec wise is fairly decent off the shelf. SRAM X1 Drive train which shifts very well and runs very quietly. Brakes are the M8000 XT versions which are fantastic from my experience on the Aeris and I was pleased these got put on rather than last years XT brakes which some of the first 2016 bikes ended up with. Wheels are DTSwiss 1700 with Bontrager XR1 Team Issue Tyres which are truly an XC tyre and had me worried about riding on anything other than hardpack. The Fork is a Rockshox SID RL which is completely new to me with the remote lever being something I wasn't overly keen on having. Everything else is from Bontrager and the only change from stock is fitting a Reverb Stealth Dropper and running one of my Bontrager Carbon saddles. I'm putting on a 50mm stem to bring the reach in a touch and see if it gives a little more control.

Weight wise these come in just over 10kg stock so I imagine with pedals and Reverb it's closer to 11kg.

After getting the Reverb installed, doing a tubeless conversion and having to straighten up a bent mech hangar (thanks goes to Ben at Bird for some workshop and vice usage), I got out for a first ride on it today. Rather than taking it over Swinley, which would be fairly obvious as to how it would perform, I figured the mud and slop of Deepcut and Tunnel Hill MoD would be a far better option to suss the bike out.

So let's get the obvious stuff performance wise out of the way first. This bike is fast. Show it anything smooth and flat and it goes with instant drive forwards with each pedal stroke. There is no wasted energy here. Climbing is excellent.

The less obvious stuff let me with three big things that surprised me; this bike can descend pretty well, the XC tyres grip very well, even in mud and loose conditions, and this bike is really fun to ride. Technical single track is fun with the bike very precise to riding input and no cumbersome feeling that 29ers are meant to exhibit. Going downhill it really picks up speed. The SID fork may only run 100mm travel but it it felt like there was more travel available and running out was not something I constantly worrying about.

So what of the Iso Speed Decoupler? Does it work? Yes, it does but not in an obvious way. These is a subtle reduction of trail buzz certainly and you may notice a slight soft sensation in the rear if you stamp down hard on the pedals while seated. It will probably bed in a little more after a few more rides so will so it I notice it more.

Overall I'm really impressed and slightly surprised with how capable this bike is for an XC racer as well as being fun to ride rather than being a bit surgical and boring.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Nice writeup A-X. I have also been pretty impressed how well the bike handles on tighter singletrack and stuff that I would normally consider "trail". Turns in very tight and holds a line well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Hello, I'm really interested in getting one of PC SL frameset, but I would need to use it with the parts of my current bike. I have an XT 2x10 groupset in my current X-Caliber 9. Does anyone know if it is possible to use that with the Procaliber SL frameset? Thanks!!

LAN
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Can someone measure the tire clearance at the chain stays?

And also crank arm clearance (is it possible to run M9000 narrow cranks?)

Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    You need a boost rear hub/wheel and a new seat post likely. Otherwise should be good

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I jus ordered the same matte black procal yesterday with an estimated delivery date of January! I got a killer deal from LBS, I paid for a 9.7 and am getting a 9.8! That's a benefit to being loyal to the LBS! So far I bought some XTR pedals, WTB Pure V Team saddle and a Thompson Master seat post. I think I will order a new wheel set, I9 Boost red hubs and still undecided on the rim? I am going to also order some XO cranks with the red lettering, the few red parts should really make this baby sweet! BK

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I was waiting my Procaliber 9.7 since September.
    After almost one month of delay (was expecting to early November), the dealer gave me the option to upgrade to a Top Fuel 9.8 with 20% off.
    looks like a good deal..
    Should I take the offer?
    Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Nice review! I just ordered the same bike in a 18 inch. How are the Hubs? I see they are similar to DT 350, how is the sound of the hub? BK

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    It depends on what your looking for? I have a Superfly Pro AL 100, so I needed a Hardtail. The Top F is a great bike, but again, what you looking for and do you have a Full suspension? BK

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by supercal20077 View Post
    It depends on what your looking for? I have a Superfly Pro AL 100, so I needed a Hardtail. The Top F is a great bike, but again, what you looking for and do you have a Full suspension? BK
    No, I never had a fs before...
    I'm old school. Mountain biking since 1995 (quit for some years, but crazy to go back now), but always in HT.
    But I'm getting old... Maybe my back will thanks me if I switch to full suspension. LoL
    Right now I don't own any bike. Sold all bikes a couple of years ago after a car accident. So, the next purchase will be the only bicycle for a while...

I'm a big guy (6'2) and I'm a little over weight (250 lb) right now, and don't know if the Top Fuel will be the best choice...

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by A-X View Post
    I can see me adding a Stealth Reverb dropper on it at some point just for extra fun and may experiment with an Angleset.
    I love the fact they finally made these stealth dropper compatible, but I do not think there is an angleset that will work. Trek likes to mold bearing seats directly into their carbon headtubes... If you find an angleset that will work, let me know!

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    What size? There are ProCals in stock, it looks like only the 17.5 and 19.5 are potentially on back order. Est delivery date for them is in January.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Daflake View Post
    What size? There are ProCals in stock, it looks like only the 17.5 and 19.5 are potentially on back order. Est delivery date for them is in January.
    In my case, I ordered the 19.5.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MCunha View Post
    I was waiting my Procaliber 9.7 since September.
    After almost one month of delay (was expecting to early November), the dealer gave me the option to upgrade to a Top Fuel 9.8 with 20% off.
    looks like a good deal..
    Should I take the offer?
    Cheers.

Purely from a parts spec comparison, the Top Fuel SL 9.8 is clearly the better bike for essentially $500 more (comparing prices based on your 20% off offer). If you live where there is lots of technical climbing/descents, then I would go for the FS platform. If you live in the flat world at low elevation, than the HT would be better.

However, if you haven't owned a FS bike, you have no idea what you are missing! These new FS bikes are amazing!! If you're intention is to get back into shape and want to ride a lot, then go for the FS platform. You will ride more, longer, and faster without feeling hammered. Problem for you is you're at the limit for the bikes weight limits. Have fun and ride on!

mtbr member
    Nov 2015

Yeah, sadly you are looking around Jan 18th delivery, as it is a popular size. That being said, 20% off of a Top Fuel is nice, but as others have mentioned, it really boils down to what you are looking for. A full suspension rides very different than a hardtail. I would suggest a test ride or two to see what you think about it before you jump on that deal.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I would agree on the FS. If your worried about your age and back, I would lean towards the FS. BK

mtbr member
    Nov 2015

If the shop doesn't have a Top Fuel in stock, you will probably have the same problem. I don't see any available in that size.

A-X
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Nice review! I just ordered the same bike in a 18 inch. How are the Hubs? I see they are similar to DT 350, how is the sound of the hub? BK
    Functional as you would expect from DT. Not the best looking but work well. Worth upgrading the ratchet to 36t for better engagement at which point they feel no different to the 240S.

I'll probably build a set of 240's on carbon rims for a really light summer wheel and leave the stock for winter.

A-X
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by rfxc View Post
    I love the fact they finally made these stealth dropper compatible, but I do not think there is an angleset that will work. Trek likes to mold bearing seats directly into their carbon headtubes... If you find an angleset that will work, let me know!
    I figured that as soon as I put the bike together. Having ridden it a fair bit now I think the combination of larger wheels and increased offset of the fork gives enough stability that I don't feel wanting for an angleset.

The stealth routing was another key factor for choosing the bike although it was a bit of a mission to install and needs the bottom bracket to be removed. Really a two man job; one to push the hose down the frame and the other to guide up the seat tube from the bottom bracket shell due to the pre-installed rear brake hose being in the way.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Does anyone know how big you can go with rims and tires? Let say 30mm and 2.3 tires?
    [COLOR="Black"]HARDMTNBIKER on Instagram

Seven Sola SLX ENVE MTN SS
    Sir9 Carbon Niner SS
    #1gearallyear #Iridemtn

A-X
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by hardmtnbiker View Post
    Does anyone know how big you can go with rims and tires? Let say 30mm and 2.3 tires?
    Shouldn't be an issue. The stock XR1 is a 2.2 with the casing being on the generous size. I'd say there's around 5mm - 7mm tyre clearance around the stays.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Thanks! I wanna build up a set of wheels with DT 's new XM 481 rims and Hadley hubs.

Sir9 Carbon Niner SS
    #1gearallyear #Iridemtn

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    It'd be great to get a measurement in mm. of the chainstay clearance in the tire tread area.

mtbr member
    FS is great if your body is starting to feel life more so than ever before

I was faster on the Procaliber over the Top Fuel when I tested them.

I'm either building a P1 Procaliber or getting a Superfly 9.7, With cost difference I can almost buy another bike
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by beastmaster View Post
    However, if you haven't owned a FS bike, you have no idea what you are missing! These new FS bikes are amazing!! If you're intention is to get back into shape and want to ride a lot, then go for the FS platform. You will ride more, longer, and faster without feeling hammered. Problem for you is you're at the limit for the bikes weight limits. Have fun and ride on!
    I'm really concerned about this weight issue... That's why I'm in the market for a Trek or a Specialized (those brandas guaranty they bikes to up 300lbs). Most manufacturers, like Cannondale and Scott, only guaranty up to 250lbs.
    According to my last bioimpedance, I now have 208lb of non fat body mass. So, I can drop arrround 20lbs to get close to 10% fat, but I still being a heavy cyclist with 230+ lbs... And this will not be easy or fast. LoL

I would agree on the FS. If your worried about your age and back, I would lean towards the FS. BK
    What I like to do back then, before a long break, was marathon cross country rides. Over 40 miles/day. Some times close to 120 miles in a weekend. But now, getting close to 45 years old, my back is not the same.

That's why I'm starting to considere the importance of a FS bike...
    Before the Procaliber and the Top Fuel, I was considering an more eclectic bike, between xco and trail, 120mm like the Fuel EX and Camber, but Trek will not import 2016 Fuel Ex soon.
    I still considering the Camber, but in this case I need to cancel the deal with the Treak dealer 1st (that's why he is offering me 20% off in a Top Fuel, but still not know if I will get this model immediately or not. Will ask him this week).

Cheers.

A-X
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I'm really concerned about this weight issue... That's why I'm in the market for a Trek or a Specialized (those brandas guaranty they bikes to up 300lbs). Most manufacturers, like Cannondale and Scott, only guaranty up to 250lbs.
    According to my last bioimpedance, I now have 208lb of non fat body mass. So, I can drop arrround 20lbs to get close to 10% fat, but I still being a heavy cyclist with 230+ lbs... And this will not be easy or fast. LoL

What I like to do back then, before a long break, was marathon cross country rides. Over 40 miles/day. Some times close to 120 miles in a weekend. But now, getting close to 45 years old, my back is not the same.

That's why I'm starting to considere the importance of a FS bike...
    Before the Procaliber and the Top Fuel, I was considering an more eclectic bike, between xco and trail, 120mm like the Fuel EX and Camber, but Trek will not import 2016 Fuel Ex soon.
    I still considering the Camber, but in this case I need to cancel the deal with the Treak dealer 1st (that's why he is offering me 20% off in a Top Fuel, but still not know if I will get this model immediately or not. Will ask him this week).

Cheers.
    Sounds like the EX Fuel 29er would be a good fit but then if you have import issues soon then may be an issue later on. The Remedy 27.5" is still a pretty quick bike for what it is. I had a carbon 9.8 under 26lbs and this covered ground really well and could still handle the big stuff without a worry.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Sounds like the EX Fuel 29er would be a good fit but then if you have import issues soon then may be an issue later on. The Remedy 27.5" is still a pretty quick bike for what it is. I had a carbon 9.8 under 26lbs and this covered ground really well and could still handle the big stuff without a worry.
    Trek will not import the 2016 Fuel EX to my country. This was my first option.
    I'm not sure if they have (or will have) the Remedy...
    but the 2016 specialized Camber Elite Carbon is very close to the Fuel EX 9.8... At least in the paper it looks good. Not sure about the brain system, or even he swat door (looks like this door remove some stiffness from the frame and add some weight. Make no sense to my buy a carbon bike without stiffness and heavier just because a door). The Specialized is available right now, any size... Wasn't when I ordered the Trek.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    This is exactly why I was looking at the PC. Since a lot of the long backcountry trails could be ridden on a gravel bike but I really don't want a gravel bike so I can still rip through the single track sections when found.
    I have ridden techy rock gardens to gravel grinding when it's wet here and trails closed. I am guessing this is about what a procaliber is since I get an inch of fore aft travel with the seatpost. I find that for what I would call neg deflection situations such as a dimple or hole in the ground it works great. It flexes back and takes pressure off your back and helps keep momentum up. Great for gravel riding. On pos deflection such as small raised rocks or raised uneven ground it isn't nearly as good. Bike pops up and you have to lightly unseat as you usually would on a HT.

Sir9 Carbon Niner SS
    #1gearallyear #Iridemtn

mtbr member
    Aug 2015

Procaliber?

OMG, Trek just answered my question. No Top Fuel 9.8 or Procaliber 9.7 in my size until second half of January!!!!!!!
    I'm very close to cancel the deal, get my money back and order a specialized (epic or camber)... I'm so sad right now...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I am waiting for the Procal, don't care how long as I am in Mi and will be riding my Farley 9.8 until spring. I have to find some Boost compatible hubs to go along with this beast in red, so the bike will be all black and red hubs! I think it is worth the wait, but I have been a TREK guy forever. I also ordered some 560 MM Truvative T-40 flat bars, those should be the only thing I swap out for now, carbon cranks will be down the road.

Now for the Hubs, I know I am limited to Boost compatible, but I have narrowed it down to Hope, I9, or CK's. I really like the instant engagement of the I9's and CK's, but love the sound of the Hopes. Any suggestions? the louder the better! BK

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I just ordered White Industries CLD for the front and CLD+ for the rear. I got the bike in September and had a Sun-Ringle SRC that broke over Thanksgiving, that's 2 months of riding.

I am waiting for the Procal, don't care how long as I am in Mi and will be riding my Farley 9.8 until spring. I have to find some Boost compatible hubs to go along with this beast in red, so the bike will be all black and red hubs! I think it is worth the wait, but I have been a TREK guy forever. I also ordered some 560 MM Truvative T-40 flat bars, those should be the only thing I swap out for now, carbon cranks will be down the road.

Now for the Hubs, I know I am limited to Boost compatible, but I have narrowed it down to Hope, I9, or CK's. I really like the instant engagement of the I9's and CK's, but love the sound of the Hopes. Any suggestions? the louder the better! BK

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Hadley make Boost148 hubs now. I will be buying those for my next wheel set.

Sir9 Carbon Niner SS
    #1gearallyear #Iridemtn

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    deleted
    Last edited by supercal20077; 01-20-2016 at 04:49 AM.

mtbr member
    Hi All,

Thinking about adding this to my quiver since I currently have a 150mm travel trail bike but want a hardtail for the occasional xc race. Because of the sizing, I'm right between a 17.5 and 18.5, and I'm sure I could ride either i want to get some input on stem length.

My current bike's reach (Med 2016 Stumpjumper 650b which I love) is close to the 17.5 size trek. But the wheel base is longer, closer to the 18.5. I wonder if going with the 18.5 and going short on the stem would be good.. and does anyone here have experience shortening their stem on this bike?

Also, I have super long legs and short torso, so now being a dropper fanatic, i may have to go super long w/ the dropper on a 17.5. But since I sit high on a bike, I don't want the bike to feel tippy and too small which I know can happen on too small of an xc bike.

Anyway, I'm 5'9" w/ a 34 inch inseam, and anyone experience w/ sizing, stem, handling etc. would be great. thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by llbr22 View Post
    Hi All,

Thinking about adding this to my quiver since I currently have a 150mm travel trail bike but want a hardtail for the occasional xc race. Because of the sizing, I'm right between a 17.5 and 18.5, and I'm sure I could ride either i want to get some input on stem length.

My current bike's reach (Med 2016 Stumpjumper 650b which I love) is close to the 17.5 size trek. But the wheel base is longer, closer to the 18.5. I wonder if going with the 18.5 and going short on the stem would be good.. and does anyone here have experience shortening their stem on this bike?

Also, I have super long legs and short torso, so now being a dropper fanatic, i may have to go super long w/ the dropper on a 17.5. But since I sit high on a bike, I don't want the bike to feel tippy and too small which I know can happen on too small of an xc bike.

Anyway, I'm 5'9" w/ a 34 inch inseam, and anyone experience w/ sizing, stem, handling etc. would be great. thanks!
    You're right between both sizes, so you can literally chose anyone.
    But I think that 34 inch is a inseam a little bit long to 5'9". So, in your place, I would look the 18.5 with a little more care, expecially because you will use only in fast tracks, since you have another bicycle to technical tracks.

Cheers.

mtbr member
    You're right between both sizes, so you can literally chose anyone.
    But I think that 34 inch is a inseam a little bit long to 5'9". So, in your place, I would look the 18.5 with a little more care, expecially because you will use only in fast tracks, since you have another bicycle to technical tracks.

Cheers.

Ya, I have silly long legs. The 18.5 might even be best to make sure I'm not maxing out a seatpost (I've had that problem buying too-small bikes in the past)

The longer front may also keep me more confident at speed.
    thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The top tube is only 0.8" longer on the 18.5 while the seat tube is 2.6" longer.
    Do a good demo ride.
    Have the shop swap on a shorter stem first and be aware of your bar width. A bar with less width shortens your cockpit.
    Make certain you can weight your front tire enough for good cornering traction.

mtbr member
    Thanks! and thanks for the reminder on bar width as well.

I think the hard part is that the 9.8 may not be a bike that will be typically stocked (at my local shop). But i"ll check with them this week to see what their plans are.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    For sizing you can ride a 9.7.
    On bars 12* sweep is available for some added room too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I got a 9.7 (green) in November, 2015. Love this bike. Went past Saturday to Tour of Felasco in Alachua, FL. Better riding with this bike that on my past HT and 26 full suspension MB. Bike is fast and very comfortable. Recommended.

A-X
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I'm 5'9" with a 33" inseam and ride the 17.5" (actual) with a 125mm reverb with a bit of post to spare so I would say you could get away with that sizing. I played around with stem lengths and found a 50mm stem was fun to ride with but ultimately wasn't such a good body position for fast riding and climbing. I settled on a 70mm stem and found that to be perfect.

I've sat on but not ridden an 18.5" and it didn't feel too stretched out but having owned a 17.5" Remedy in the past I knew that sizing would be correct for me.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'9" with a 33" inseam and ride the 17.5" (actual) with a 125mm reverb with a bit of post to spare so I would say you could get away with that sizing. I played around with stem lengths and found a 50mm stem was fun to ride with but ultimately wasn't such a good body position for fast riding and climbing. I settled on a 70mm stem and found that to be perfect.

I've sat on but not ridden an 18.5" and it didn't feel too stretched out but having owned a 17.5" Remedy in the past I knew that sizing would be correct for me.
    you're just about my size! that's awesome, thanks for the insight!

A-X
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    You won't be disappointed with it either. Also suprises me how well it rides downhill, over tech and how much fun it is to ride. Even doing group Urban rides through car parks, steps and benches is a laugh on it.

mtbr member
    You won't be disappointed with it either. Also suprises me how well it rides downhill, over tech and how much fun it is to ride. Even doing group Urban rides through car parks, steps and benches is a laugh on it.
    Awesome. Seems to have a slacker head angle than other xc specific bikes... That add to the fun factor?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    It has the best geo out there. Slack to stay stable hitting bumps on faster downhills with short chainstays and 51mm fork offset for quick steering and handling. The carbon Superfly also has the same geo. The 'other' bikes you see are using old geo without enough fork offset. They're twitchy on downhills when you hit bumps. Cannondale updated with the F-Si bikes. Spec hasn't and Giant never will. Second tier bikes manufacturers don't care.
    The ProCal is a marathon race bike where you can sit and spin over long course sections. The flex is in the seat tube.
    The Superfly has rear seatstay compliance for when you have to stand for rock gardens, etc. So it can be setup as more of a trail bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Omg! My Matte black Procaliber 9.8 came in Friday at noon, shop got it done and I picked it up at 3. The bike is sick! 22lbs outta the box, tubes out and XXX seat post put on. New cranks ordered, not sure why the stock cranks are AL. I ordered XO's in black. I also had the shop order 54 tooth gears from Trek, stock DT's came with 18 teeth, that was the weakest part of the bike. The hubs are silver, I also ordered a silver Thompson seat collar, everything else is black. I was going to upgrade the wheels, but with the 54 T gears those will be fine. I also ordered some Conti X-King and Race Kings. I won't ride this rig until the trails are ready. For now, my Farley 9.8 will do here in Michigan!

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Hey guys, I'm looking to pair my 2016 Fuel EX 9 with a dedicated hardtail racing bike. I was just going to race my Fuel, but I am already running team issued XR4 in the front and XR3 in the rear. I really enjoy riding flats with this bike and when I race I would ultimately want to run clipless. So instead of constantly changing out tires/tire sets and pedals i've decided I want to buy a dedicated racing hardtail. My budget is around $2800 and I have narrowed it down to the Superfly 9.7, 9.6 or a Procal 9.7. If I were to get the 9.6 I would upgrade the drivetrain to the sram GX 1x11 right away, which my LBS said would put me right near the price of the 9.7. I'm torn to which I believe would be the better setup, the 9.7 with the fox 32, SLX components, and Deore brakes or the 9.6 with the GX setup. I could also get a demoed Procal 9.7 for $3100. Keep in mind I will be racing in Wisconsin this summer.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Why not just get another set of wheels to run with racing tires like XR2s on your Fuel? Changing pedals out doesn't take much time at all. I have raced both a SF 9.8 and a Fuel 9.9/P1. I prefer the fuel for most races actually but I have it set up pretty light and can run some light XXX wheels. Of your options for pure midwest cross racing I would go with the SF 9.7 running as a 1x and with a hi flex or niner RDO seatpost that will give a little.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    jumbomkd,

Are you having issues with the bars hitting the top tube when lowering the stem? I did a test fit/ride on the same size frame you have and where I need the bars, the controls hit the top tube. The top tube on the larger frames doesn't slope nearly as much as the smaller sizes. I'm going to replace the bars with wider ones anyway so hopefully that resolves it.

mtbr member
    What would it matter if the controls touch the top tube ? During a crash?
    Not sure what in the trail would require you to be able to turn the bars that much and will be moving on a trail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brent701 View Post
    Not sure what in the trail would require you to be able to turn the bars that much and will be moving on a trail.
    I would be concerned that they could damage the top tube during a wreck.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Adim_X View Post
    I would be concerned that they could damage the top tube during a wreck.
    That's what I was referring to. I know you can leave the controls "loose", which I do anyway. It just seems like a weird issue to have these days with all the sloped top tubes out there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by at_ecd View Post
    jumbomkd,

Are you having issues with the bars hitting the top tube when lowering the stem? I did a test fit/ride on the same size frame you have and where I need the bars, the controls hit the top tube. The top tube on the larger frames doesn't slope nearly as much as the smaller sizes. I'm going to replace the bars with wider ones anyway so hopefully that resolves it.
    I didn't notice any issue, but to be fair I did not test if the controls are clearing the frame. I will test later today and tell you. For reference, I have -7 degrees 100mm stem and 710mm wide bontrager RXL bars. On a side note, in order to prevent damage to the frame or controls, I never over-tighten control on the bars, i hand-tight shifters and brakes so they are "stable" while riding, but can rotate during crush if they hit the ground or frame.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BodeLance View Post
    Hey guys, I'm looking to pair my 2016 Fuel EX 9 with a dedicated hardtail racing bike. I was just going to race my Fuel, but I am already running team issued XR4 in the front and XR3 in the rear. I really enjoy riding flats with this bike and when I race I would ultimately want to run clipless. So instead of constantly changing out tires/tire sets and pedals i've decided I want to buy a dedicated racing hardtail. My budget is around $2800 and I have narrowed it down to the Superfly 9.7, 9.6 or a Procal 9.7. If I were to get the 9.6 I would upgrade the drivetrain to the sram GX 1x11 right away, which my LBS said would put me right near the price of the 9.7. I'm torn to which I believe would be the better setup, the 9.7 with the fox 32, SLX components, and Deore brakes or the 9.6 with the GX setup. I could also get a demoed Procal 9.7 for $3100. Keep in mind I will be racing in Wisconsin this summer.
    procaliber all the way, get the 9.7!!! Personally, I would add a dropper seatpost because this bike is very, very capable with the boosted axles and new tube shapes

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BodeLance View Post
    I could also get a demoed Procal 9.7 for $3100. Keep in mind I will be racing in Wisconsin this summer.
    If you'll be racing it in marathon longer distance races where you spend a lot of time seated and pedaling look at the Procal. That's what it's designed for with its compliance only in the seat post and not while you are standing.
    The Trek team riders don't choose that bike for any XCO course with rocky sections on descents. They need compliance when standing and ride the Top Fuel.
    The Superfly has good rear seat stay compliance that helps when going over rocks and roots standing. Pick the Superfly frame for shorter rougher course races. You can order it separately and build it how you want. Check some German sites for component prices. Go with a 30mm ID wheelset.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Does anyone know if the crank on the Procalibers is a boost crankset or not? CompCyclist is running a nice sale and I'm looking to pick up a Quarq crank but I'm not sure if it will fit correctly

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Udyr View Post
    Does anyone know if the crank on the Procalibers is a boost crankset or not? CompCyclist is running a nice sale and I'm looking to pick up a Quarq crank but I'm not sure if it will fit correctly
    It depends on the manufacturer of the cranks. I was able to remove my xo1 cranks from my V1 ibis Ripley and install them on my procaliber 9.8. All I had to do was swap the chain rings. SRAM builds the offset into the chain rings.

I'm not sure about the crankset you are looking at but if you view the technical manuals on SRAMs website they have all the info you need.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I'm looking for a lighter wheelset for my 9.7. Does anyone have an idea what the original set weighs?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterNoChain View Post
    I'm looking for a lighter wheelset for my 9.7. Does anyone have an idea what the original set weighs?
    The 9.8 comes with DT 1700 which is around 1700g-ish, and I would assume that the 9.7 wheelset is a little bit heavier, likely 1800g.

The new Crest MK3 looks to be a good option and should knock off a good amount of weight at a reasonable price.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'm not feeling this bike yet. Isospeed when seated only but stiff rear seatstays for the most efficiency in a marathon race environment. If I wanted to ride trails I'd put a 30mm id rim wheelset on just to get the cushion in the rear from added volume. I need that when standing going over rocks/roots on downhills. A 29+ tire will fit up front and a XR1 2.2 or XR2 2.35 in the rear. To get the weight low a Chinese carbon 29-30mm id asym rim could be as light as 385g.

A-X
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I'm not feeling this bike yet. Isospeed when seated only but stiff rear seatstays for the most efficiency in a marathon race environment. If I wanted to ride trails I'd put a 30mm id rim wheelset on just to get the cushion in the rear from added volume. I need that when standing going over rocks/roots on downhills. A 29+ tire will fit up front and a XR1 2.2 or XR2 2.35 in the rear. To get the weight low a Chinese carbon 29-30mm id asym rim could be as light as 385g.
    It's a great ride and the Isospeed works more then you would think, more than a baggy rear tyre would unless you took out a lot of air but thats not the point of the bike. It's looking to take the buzz out of the trail without loosing the speed and efficiency of a race compromise tyre.

it comes with the XR1 Team Issue in 2.2 as standard anyway which have a pretty decent section. The geometry is also revised so it also descends really well. Try one out and see.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    It's a great ride and the Isospeed works more then you would think, more than a baggy rear tyre would unless you took out a lot of air but thats not the point of the bike. It's looking to take the buzz out of the trail without loosing the speed and efficiency of a race compromise tyre.

it comes with the XR1 Team Issue in 2.2 as standard anyway which have a pretty decent section. The geometry is also revised so it also descends really well. Try one out and see.
    Isospeed has nothing to offer when you're not on the seat. My trails have rocks and root sections at speeds I can't ride seated unless on a fs if at all.
    Those XR1s are one of my favorite tires on a 30mm id rim. The oem rim is skinnier and lessens the volume and cushion/traction effect.
    My SF 9.8 doesn't have Isospeed but it has a large proportion of the flex. The ProC has its flex in the seat tube while the SF has it vertically in the seatstays from the Apollo Project design collaboration with the road engineers. This sets the bikes up for different purposes.
    So far I've only been able to get a ProC out for a road ride. It was excellent so far. I'm looking for a Demo Day.

A-X
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Isospeed has nothing to offer when you're not on the seat. My trails have rocks and root sections at speeds I can't ride seated unless on a fs if at all.
    Those XR1s are one of my favorite tires on a 30mm id rim. The oem rim is skinnier and lessens the volume and cushion/traction effect.
    My SF 9.8 doesn't have Isospeed but it has a large proportion of the flex. The ProC has its flex in the seat tube while the SF has it vertically in the seatstays from the Apollo Project design collaboration with the road engineers. This sets the bikes up for different purposes.
    So far I've only been able to get a ProC out for a road ride. It was excellent so far. I'm looking for a Demo Day.
    You wouldn't (or shouldn't) be riding roots and rocks seated at speed anyway so makes no odds what hardtail you're on. Its not marketed as a soft tail like the BMC for example. You'll find it more compliant then your superfly I'd wager where you want it and overall more responsive.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The riding experience with the SF uses the seatstay compliance to let you ride more rocks/roots at speed, standing up of course, then previous models with stiff for efficiency frame dynamics. That's so you don't get beat up as much. Add additional compliance from wide rim higher volume/lower psi tires and the terrain you can handle is further expanded. This season a 29+ tire on the front may give me more.
    I agree that the ProCal feels more distinct in its responsiveness. Most of that should be from the 110 front hub spacing. I have a feeling the 2017 SF will get Boost. I'm hoping it doesn't give up the seatstay compliance.

A-X
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    The riding experience with the SF uses the seatstay compliance to let you ride more rocks/roots at speed, standing up of course, then previous models with stiff for efficiency frame dynamics. That's so you don't get beat up as much. Add additional compliance from wide rim higher volume/lower psi tires and the terrain you can handle is further expanded. This season a 29+ tire on the front may give me more.
    I agree that the ProCal feels more distinct in its responsiveness. Most of that should be from the 110 front hub spacing. I have a feeling the 2017 SF will get Boost. I'm hoping it doesn't give up the seatstay compliance.
    Probably all their ranges will be boost and imagine will feature control freak routing as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Probably all their ranges will be boost and imagine will feature control freak routing as well.
    So we can say that the only difference from Procaliber and SF will be the isospeed?
    Doesn't make sense to me keep both models.

A-X
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    So we can say that the only difference from Procaliber and SF will be the isospeed?
    Doesn't make sense to me keep both models.
    You get the option of aluminium as well as carbon with the SF and pricing is lower and offers decent value so would imagine it's a fair chunk of their XC hardtail sales. The fact that the SL models aren't available this year speaks volumes that revised carbon models are in the pipeline. The Procal makes sense as the premium hardtail option for those that race is there's a difference in geometry to add separation. Bit like their road bike ranges really.

Trek have positioned the bikes at two separate disciplines so I would imagine they are both here to stay.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    You get the option of aluminium as well as carbon with the SF and pricing is lower and offers decent value so would imagine it's a fair chunk of their XC hardtail sales. The fact that the SL models aren't available this year speaks volumes that revised carbon models are in the pipeline. The Procal makes sense as the premium hardtail option for those that race is there's a difference in geometry to add separation. Bit like their road bike ranges really.

Trek have positioned the bikes at two separate disciplines so I would imagine they are both here to stay.
    I agree with you in this way: Procaliber will be the premium segment and SF the lower end. If we think about, it's almost like that at the moment.
    It make sense....
    But trek can also keep only alloy SF in the future, and start the Procaliber models at 9.6. It's another option...

A-X
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I agree with you in this way: Procaliber will be the premium segment and SF the lower end. If we think about, it's almost like that at the moment.
    It make sense....
    But trek can also keep only alloy SF in the future, and start the Procaliber models at 9.6. It's another option...
    Could be another reason why the SL models have been pulled. Or they just keep churning out carbon and aluminium until demand diminishes. The main investment for carbon frames is in the moulds so it's not like producing more carbon SF frames is a massive overhead for Trek.

Aluminium SF, Procaliber and Top Fuel wouldn't be a bad spread to cover the XC market.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The SL was the first Apollo Project bike, the SF the second. Both bikes used road bike developed experience to add rear vertical compliance. The SL had 445 chainstays because they designed it around a traditional straight seat tube. Scott and Spec already were using a bent seat tube for tire clearance. With their second effort Trek bent the tube and got 435 chainstays and their current geo. Lucky for riders the more developed bike came out at the lower price point.
    The ProCal is the first mtb use of Isospeed. Trek has configured it to add flex to the seat tube. The prior model seatstay flex is not there in that model. Flex now comes into play only while seated. Happens a lot on a road bike. Not so much on World Cup XC racing courses as you see them today. That's why no Trek MTB Racing Team rider uses one on the main course races. They all used the SL. Now they use the Top Fuel. The ProCal is used in Sprint flat track races. It could be used in distance races over relatively smooth offroad courses- marathons.
    I wouldn't buy an Isospeed bike for my trail oriented riding if it gives up the seatstay flex of my current bike. I would buy a SF with Boost space for Plus tires. Plus tires are faster and more capable in techy terrain. I can fit one model on my front now. I want more of that in a lightweight hardtail without the expense and maintenance of rear suspension.
    Here's some more XC racing info in Britain on Plus tires.
    https://russwelch.wordpress.com/2016...n-the-russ-ti/

A-X
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    The SL was the first Apollo Project bike, the SF the second. Both bikes used road bike developed experience to add rear vertical compliance. The SL had 445 chainstays because they designed it around a traditional straight seat tube. Scott and Spec already were using a bent seat tube for tire clearance. With their second effort Trek bent the tube and got 435 chainstays and their current geo. Lucky for riders the more developed bike came out at the lower price point.
    The ProCal is the first mtb use of Isospeed. Trek has configured it to add flex to the seat tube. The prior model seatstay flex is not there in that model. Flex now comes into play only while seated. Happens a lot on a road bike. Not so much on World Cup XC racing courses as you see them today. That's why no Trek MTB Racing Team rider uses one on the main course races. They all used the SL. Now they use the Top Fuel. The ProCal is used in Sprint flat track races. It could be used in distance races over relatively smooth offroad courses- marathons.
    I wouldn't buy an Isospeed bike for my trail oriented riding if it gives up the seatstay flex of my current bike. I would buy a SF with Boost space for Plus tires. Plus tires are faster and more capable in techy terrain. I can fit one model on my front now. I want more of that in a lightweight hardtail without the expense and maintenance of rear suspension.
    Here's some more XC racing info in Britain on Plus tires.
    https://russwelch.wordpress.com/2016...n-the-russ-ti/
    Horses for courses really.

We're fortunate to be in the position where we can discuss the merits of what are two excellent bikes in their own right.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Anyone else having internal cable rattle issues with their procal? I just cant seem to get mine to quiet down.

A-X
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    At times but not major. You can use the port under the down tube to thread a zip tie in and keep the cables tight. Not tried it myself but imagine it's a fiddly job.

I have cracking around the head tube area over bigger bumps or when out of the saddling peddling so I need to strip down the headset and grease up to see if that helps. It could be the SID steerer to crown otherwise. My carbon remedy has the same headset and has been nice and quiet but not seen any winter riding like the Procaliber so grease up is my hunch and from memory i was a bit mean with how much I used when building it up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Ill have to mess with it more.

I am sure its your headset. Mine seems to need cleaned a lot more than the cane creek 40 on my ibis that has never made a sound.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Mine has been making noise as well while descending so it could be cable rattle or something else. I haven't wanted to take it in since i have a race in a few weeks and don't want to mess with anything.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I just took apart the cable tie on the bottom side of the down tube and replaced the zip tie - pulling it pretty tight. Doing some bounce tests, it seems to have stopped rattling. I'm going to assume I'll need to change the zip tie every once in a while to keep it quiet. I wish trek would have provided another zip tie spot further up the down tube. Other than that, this bike is amazing!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I just took apart the cable tie on the bottom side of the down tube and replaced the zip tie - pulling it pretty tight. Doing some bounce tests, it seems to have stopped rattling. I'm going to assume I'll need to change the zip tie every once in a while to keep it quiet. I wish trek would have provided another zip tie spot further up the down tube. Other than that, this bike is amazing!
    I'll give this a shot, thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    It's a pita and you'll have to bend the zip tie just right to get it to feed back out. You'll see what I mean. Also, make sure you orientate the little bracket right. I put my zip tie in backwards and didn't feel like fixing it until next time.

A-X
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    It's a pita and you'll have to bend the zip tie just right to get it to feed back out. You'll see what I mean. Also, make sure you orientate the little bracket right. I put my zip tie in backwards and didn't feel like fixing it until next time.
    You should try feeding through a reverb stealth though the BB she'll and up the seat tube. I'm used to doing it with my Remedy but it's way tighter up the seat tube for the Procaliber and ends up being a two man job of pushing it through the down tube and pulling it and routing round the BB shell.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    You should try feeding through a reverb stealth though the BB she'll and up the seat tube. I'm used to doing it with my Remedy but it's way tighter up the seat tube for the Procaliber and ends up being a two man job of pushing it through the down tube and pulling it and routing round the BB shell.
    I can imagine that isn't any fun!

On another note... Is anyone having issues with their isospeed rattling? I cant seem to get mine to stop. Ive re-greased and torqued it to spec among other things. When I tap the back of the seat forwards with my hand you can hear it knocking. Super annoying while riding.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I can imagine that isn't any fun!

On another note... Is anyone having issues with their isospeed rattling? I cant seem to get mine to stop. Ive re-greased and torqued it to spec among other things. When I tap the back of the seat forwards with my hand you can hear it knocking. Super annoying while riding.
    I'm getting the rattle too. It is a little bit better after redoing the zip tie for the cables as someone else has suggested but I also need to retorque the isospeed to see if that helps.

Other than the rattle, I'm still really happy with the bike.

A-X
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Not ridden the Procaliber for a few months since I got the Remedy and finally got around to doing a small bit of maintainance and a couple of changes. Had a lot of cracking from the headset after a winter season of riding so first job was a much needed strip, clean and grease with the noise now gone.

I had a Next bar kicking around from a previous build so swapped out the stock narrow bonty bar for the wider 725mm Next. The ESI grips are also ditched and replaced with my favourite Santa Cruz Palmdales. Simple change but it feels a hell of a lot bet better already just spinning up and down the road.

Last change was adjusting the SID RL fork which I fine difficult to feel how I like it. I think it may partly be down to being used to longer travel forks but the SID just feels either like a pogo or slow and dead. I've settled on around 30% sag and a little less rebound from 20% sag which feels ok but I'm concerned it may blow through travel.

I may look to put a Charger damper in and loose the remote lockout and see if that helps improve the feel. Getting a Fox 32 Stepcast would be a last resort and I would consider upping the travel to 120mm. Or I may stick with things at 100mm and look at an aggressive hardtail purchase alongside as I use the Procaliber for road riding across the winter months.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Just getting a 2016 procaliber with these wheels.

Bontrager Mustang Elite Tubeless Ready, 15mm front, 12mm rear (Boost110 & Boost148 on 29ers)

Anyone know how I find out what the max tyre width is that you can put on these?

Is it possible to run mid fat tyres like the chupacabras... maybe on a bigger wheelset? I am not sure what the widdest rims you can put on this bike - it is boost compatible, but not sure how that works with 29+ type tyres??
    Last edited by doccy; 09-18-2016 at 01:41 PM. Reason: mistake

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by doccy View Post
    Just getting a 2016 procaliber with these wheels.

Bontrager Mustang Elite Tubeless Ready, 15mm front, 12mm rear (Boost110 & Boost148 on 29ers)

Anyone know how I find out what the max tyre width is that you can put on these?

Is it possible to run mid fat tyres like the chupacabras... maybe on a bigger wheelset? I am not sure what the widdest rims you can put on this bike - it is boost compatible, but not sure how that works with 29+ type tyres??
    Max tire size on the bike is 2.2.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by josh8 View Post
    Thx mate - useful to know.

So... anyone got an idea what max tyre size on the bike is with a wider rim wheel set?

mtbr member
    hmm No.

Thx mate - useful to know.

So... anyone got an idea what max tyre size on the bike is with a wider rim wheel set?
    I have a Maxxis Ikon 2.35 in the back and a Maxxis Ardent 2.4 in the front. No problems with fitment.
    I wouldn't go Wider than a 2.4 front or rear.
    But 2.2 is not the max tire size
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    hmm No.

I have a Maxxis Ikon 2.35 in the back and a Maxxis Ardent 2.4 in the front. No problems with fitment.

Ah great. I wanted to fit some 2.35 slicks sometimes so that is just what i needed to hear.

Would STILL love to hear if there is a way to use 3 inch tryes on this frame though (with a different wheelset) - Chupacabras...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    hmm No.

I should have clarified. 2.2 is the stated max. Run whatever you want.

Ah great. I wanted to fit some 2.35 slicks sometimes so that is just what i needed to hear.

Would STILL love to hear if there is a way to use 3 inch tryes on this frame though (with a different wheelset) - Chupacabras...
    No way will a 3" fit on the back regardless of rim.

mtbr member
    I should have clarified. 2.2 is the stated max. Run whatever you want.

No way will a 3" fit on the back regardless of rim.
    Where is a 2.2" tire stated?

And Agree a 3" tire won't fit back there, I couldn't get a 3" 29er to fit on my 2016 Fuel 29er.
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Where is a 2.2" tire stated?
    Trek's official position from their AWESOME Live Chat (my underlining): "Looks like the max recommended tire width is 2.20. Due to variations in tire tread design and manufacturing, not all tires of a given size will be the same. While it may be possible to fit a slightly larger tire, you should always test fit the tire first to ensure a minimum of 6mm clearance at all points between the tire and the frame, fork or fender."

So there we have it. 6 mm is probably the CPSC standard. Personally, I'd be comfortable at slightly less clearance, and would try a 2.3 or 2.35. It's also worth noting here that the new 2.4" XR4 has exactly the same casing and knob width as the old 2.3" version. I haven't had a chance to compare the XR3s.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I'm really wonder whether a 27.5x 2.8 chupacabra or maxxis ikon would fit in the back of a procaliber. It's gotta be close. Some shop guy, do it and take pics<br />
    <br />
    Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rfxc View Post
    I'm really wonder whether a 27.5x 2.8 chupacabra or maxxis ikon would fit in the back of a procaliber. It's gotta be close. Some shop guy, do it and take pics
    Trek tech customer service looked up the maximum rear tire width for 29. It's 2.2". No way 2.8 x 27.5 tire has any chance of fitting. Trek made no use of the extra space potential offered by the 148 rear hub space.
    You can use a carbon Stache frame for Plus.
    Last edited by eb1888; 09-21-2016 at 06:19 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Trek tech customer service looked up the maximum rear tire width for 29. It's 2.2". No way 2.8 x 27.5 tire has any chance of fitting. Trek made no use of the extra space potential offered by the 148 rear hub space.
    Trek's maximum recommended rear tire width is 2.2, but that leaves a minimum of 6 mm (~1/4") clearance at all points, so there is a bit of room to play with 2.3s, as several here have.

Agree that it would have been nice to see room for a 2.8 x 27 back there, but I don't think that was on their wish list for this bike.

Maybe the 2018 version?

A-X
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Moving into Stache territory really while The Procal is more a marathon / race bike where you'd you would want lighter weight and less rolling resistance.

Maybe they will offer a ProStache.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Moving into Stache territory really while The Procal is more a marathon / race bike where you'd you would want lighter weight and less rolling resistance.

Maybe they will offer a ProStache.
    A stache with MOre options / MOre versatility?

That would have to be a....

Mostache!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Trek's maximum recommended rear tire width is 2.2, but that leaves a minimum of 6 mm (~1/4") clearance at all points, so there is a bit of room to play with 2.3s, as several here have.

Agree that it would have been nice to see room for a 2.8 x 27 back there, but I don't think that was on their wish list for this bike.

Maybe the 2018 version?
    Trek seems to need 3 years to recover the cost of the carbon molds for a new version. So 2020.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Trek seems to need 3 years to recover the cost of the carbon molds for a new version. So 2020.
    Not always. They tossed out the 2016 Fuel EX (ran only one season) for the new 2017 version.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Chader09 View Post
    Not always. They tossed out the 2016 Fuel EX (ran only one season) for the new 2017 version.
    Well I already called and voiced my thoughts. If a few more let them know what's missing maybe we can see a light Plus capable carbon hardtail with the rear seatstay compliance they worked hard to get in the carbon Superfly. Isospeed is something but not when it knocks out rear compliance. I like rock garden on my feet. Cornering standing.Everything else is secondary. I do climb seated but that's slow.

A-X
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    A stache with MOre options / MOre versatility?

That would have to be a....

Mostache!
    I would put money on there being a Carbon frame and rigid offering front and rear Isospeed Decouplers as per the Domane within the next 3 years. Maybe a Stache variant and possibly a single speed version.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I would put money on there being a Carbon frame and rigid offering front and rear Isospeed Decouplers as per the Domane within the next 3 years. Maybe a Stache variant and possibly a single speed version.
    I will take that bet. No way that happens.

mtbr member

Maybe the 2018 version?
    Just mounted my Maxxis Ardent 2.4" tire on the front of my 2016 Procal 9.9 SL
    I have .8" or 20mm of clearance from tire to fork leg.
    I went with a 2.2 on the back but when I replace it with a larger one i'll measure that also
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Just mounted my Maxxis Ardent 2.4" tire on the front of my 2016 Procal 9.9 SL
    I have .8" or 20mm of clearance from tire to fork leg.
    I went with a 2.2 on the back but when I replace it with a larger one i'll measure that also
    Thanks!

SID fork, right?

Also curious if anybody knows the width limit on the new Fox stepcast fork on the 17 RSL model. I'm a bit concerned they narrowed things down on that fork (in addition to making it impossible to extend travel beyond 100 mm).

mtbr member
    Thanks!

SID fork, right?

Also curious if anybody knows the width limit on the new Fox stepcast fork on the 17 RSL model. I'm a bit concerned they narrowed things down on that fork (in addition to making it impossible to extend travel beyond 100 mm).
    NO, RS1 fork.

Per Fox, the Stepcast is 100mm travel only. It cannot be increased
    Too Many .

chasing simplicity
    Trek customer service aside, anyone actually tried a 27.5+ on the rear? Pics would be awesome. Obviously diameter isn't the issue since 27.5 X 3.0 (roughly 726mm diam) is close but a bit smaller/shorter than 29 x 2.1 (roughly 734mm diam) and from above it looks like from brent701 that a 29 x 2.35 fits, so....

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Per Fox, the Stepcast is 100mm travel only. It cannot be increased
    Right, that's what my post said.

I'm just curious whether a 2.3 or 2.4 will fit in the stepcast fork.

mtbr member

I'll find out. I know a few people with that fork
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    So... dropper post. I have bought one and looking forward to getting it in there. No idea how the control freak routing works as there were no instructions / no videos i can find.

Do I need to take the BB off? Any other ports need opened? Any tips how to make the job run easy? I have never fitted a dropper before - never mind a stealth dropper.

A-X
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    So... dropper post. I have bought one and looking forward to getting it in there. No idea how the control freak routing works as there were no instructions / no videos i can find.

Do I need to take the BB off? Any other ports need opened? Any tips how to make the job run easy? I have never fitted a dropper before - never mind a stealth dropper.
    BB out to guide the hose up the seat tube. The rear brake hose can sometimes get in the way a little. If mounting left handed then use the right hand head tube port.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    BB out to guide the hose up the seat tube. The rear brake hose can sometimes get in the way a little. If mounting left handed then use the right hand head tube port.
    Thanks man - I am doing left handed. So I use the right tube port and make it wrap around the front of the stem towwards the left?

chasing simplicity
    OK great news...just came from lbs where the mechanic took the 2.8 Chupacabra on a 40mm rim from a 2017 Fuel EX on the showroom floor and put it on a 2016 Procaliber that was being worked on.

Roughly 3 mm on each side of seat stays, about the same on chainstays...easy fit!

Now the tire felt like it was a bit overinflated for showroom purposes, so it might relax some at a real pressure. And I grabbed the seat stays and pushed the rim to touch the stay without huge effort, so if you were railing a turn or otherwise putting significant lateral force on the bike you might get some rub. You probably wouldn't want to go any wider. (Personally don't didn't like to looks of that particular tire's tread, for what it's worth.)

We didn't measure bb height (I'd already asked enough!) but any drop would probably be fixed by running a 120 fork. The bike had an RS1 on it.

Wasn't allowed to take pics, unfortunately
    Never underestimate an old man with a mountain bike.

A-X
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Thanks man - I am doing left handed. So I use the right tube port and make it wrap around the front of the stem towwards the left?
    Yeah, you get a cleaner cable run and not such a tight angle, especially when turning the bar to the left.

chasing simplicity

Procaliber?

Not true...see my post above. The 2.8 fits fine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MattMay View Post
    Not true...see my post above. The 2.8 fits fine.
    How about a measurement(how many mms) and picture? It'd be great to see the space.

I'm discussing the 2017 Procal not the SL from 2016.

chasing simplicity
    picture not allowed by a Trek store, only if you own the bike and take the pic at home. As I said, 3 mm. They didn't shrink the '17, so I don't know what your point is. Both the Trek site and Trek chat are in error. Even the weights are wrong.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    It would be good to clear mistakes up. Take it out for a test ride and shoot it with your phone.
    What setup is this cause it isn't any of the listed models with a 27.5+ rear wheel/tire.

chasing simplicity
    So I posted above because I thought reading some of the comments folks in this thread were interested in 27.5+ capability...I originally posted here: http://forums.mtbr.com/trek/procalib...e-1009119.html

Didn't mean to confuse.

mtbr member
    I'm going by my LSB tomorrow to look at the new Stache 7 that came in.
    They have a Fuel EX8 27.5+ in stock and a Procal.
    I'll see if they can bolt it up.

IHMO.
    If you need that large of a tire on the bike., You bought the wrong bike,.
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'm going by my LSB tomorrow to look at the new Stache 7 that came in.
    They have a Fuel EX8 27.5+ in stock and a Procal.
    I'll see if they can bolt it up.

IHMO.
    If you need that large of a tire on the bike., You bought the wrong bike,.
    Everything depends on the riders skill level and the available terrain.
    Of course it's always possible to overpower the terrain with big amounts of travel.
    Or you could just ride bike paths for exercise and no fun.
    Shorter steep ups and downs with rocks and roots and tight turns allows a lighter built frame. It doesn't have to handle big jumps and high speeds.
    And for that lighter is better so this frame may be better than a Stache carbon. It needs a high volume rear because Trek dropped the vertical seatstay compliance the SF carbon has.

Pics if it fits.

mtbr member
    Everything depends on the riders skill level and the available terrain.
    Of course it's always possible to overpower the terrain with big amounts of travel.
    Or you could just ride bike paths for exercise and no fun.
    Shorter steep ups and downs with rocks and roots and tight turns allows a lighter built frame. It doesn't have to handle big jumps and high speeds.
    And for that lighter is better so this frame may be better than a Stache carbon. It needs a high volume rear because Trek dropped the vertical seatstay compliance the SF carbon has.

Pics if it fits.
    If they have time and do it. I'll snag a pick. I think the Procal they have is a 9.8 2016 though.
    I know a 2.4" front tire fits my 2016 SL with a RS1 fork with 20mm of clearance on each side. I had a 2.35 on the rear XR2 and fit had a lot of room.
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    For anyone else... removing the BB would indeed be optimal for this job.

I didn't have the right tools or experience though so had a go at fishing.

I did manage - but the job was a *****.

Used a wire hook and a bright light down the seat tube. Eventually manged to grab the cable housing after a lot of swearing. The rear brake cable is easy to hook by accident as well.

Dropper works a treat by the way (giant contact SL) - you just need to get a shim for the seat post as they dont make it in the right size.

mtbr member

I know a Ikon 2.35 fits in the SC fork very well

Rode the SC on a Niner Air 9 RDO yesterday.
    Not fully impressed with the fork though
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Who with a Procal. has upped the travel to 120mm if you have. How does it feel? was it worth it?

When my RS1 is up for a rebuild was thinking of upping the travel to 120.
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I know a Ikon 2.35 fits in the SC fork very well

Rode the SC on a Niner Air 9 RDO yesterday.
    Not fully impressed with the fork though
    I stuck a 2.4" Bonty XR4 in a visiting team mate's SC fork the other day.

It fit just fine. Adequate clearance all the way around.

At my size (195) I'll likely stick with the Fox 34......

A-X
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Who with a Procal. has upped the travel to 120mm if you have. How does it feel? was it worth it?

When my RS1 is up for a rebuild was thinking of upping the travel to 120.
    Been considering this myself as I'm not a huge lover of the 100mm SID but as it doubles up as my road bike over winter I'm also thinking of leaving it as it is and buying an AM hardtail for winter trails instead. Decisions.

mtbr member
    Been considering this myself as I'm not a huge lover of the 100mm SID but as it doubles up as my road bike over winter I'm also thinking of leaving it as it is and buying an AM hardtail for winter trails instead. Decisions.
    Yeah. Was thinking of waiting to do it when the rebuild needs to happen but thought about doing it sooner but now I am thinking of just selling it. lmao
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I am a bit clueless. Some help please with my 2016 9.7 SL?

Looking at upgrade options... was thinking of having another wheelset with different tyres on that I can swap in and out of.

Really like the tubless set up on the supplied Mavics... but what would be a worthwhile upgrade... strong but lighter? The amount of options is so great I don't know where to start... would want to get 'better' wheels than i have now - tubless ready.

Also - bike came with m447 brakes.... these seem pretty low end on a frame this expensive??

i managed to damage a rotor on a 96 mile cycle last week from braking with them... only had the pads for a month! Is there a worthy upgrade that wouldn't involve much techy work.. just a simple replacement job?

mtbr member

Looking at upgrade options... was thinking of having another wheelset with different tyres on that I can swap in and out of.

Really like the tubless set up on the supplied Mavics... but what would be a worthwhile upgrade... strong but lighter? The amount of options is so great I don't know where to start... would want to get 'better' wheels than i have now - tubless ready.

Also - bike came with m447 brakes.... these seem pretty low end on a frame this expensive??

i managed to damage a rotor on a 96 mile cycle last week from braking with them... only had the pads for a month! Is there a worthy upgrade that wouldn't involve much techy work.. just a simple replacement job?
    Your bike should have come with Mustang Elite wheels which are Tubeless Ready
    If you want to upgrade to something better. I'd look into the Line products from Trek. The rims are very nice.
    Or some DT swiss Carbon or Nox carbon rims. (I'm building a set of Nox for my bike)

The brakes it came with aren't bad. The rotors are the downfall. Cheapest route would be to upgrade the rotors. I'd run some Ice-tech rotors. If you want to upgrade the whole brake system. Shimano XT or XTR's .
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    XT8000 brakes or any others will require cutting at least the rear hydro line to length and installing it through the frame. Likely a bleed. Unless there's no quality difference between the 8000 lines and yours.
    You need to get the versions with at least an 'N' year code(2015) and 'G' month code(July) to avoid fluctuating bite point problems. I'd want an 'O'. A sticker is on the lever body.

http://forums.mtbr.com/brake-time/m8...l#post12904432
    "Got my replacement XT's (took less than a week through Shimano warranty!!) and got a chance to ride them properly yesterday. Holy crap it's a night and day difference in feel from my old ones. New ones have both OE code. Old ones had ND (front) and NC (rear).

My 'N' set, even after multiple careful bleeds, always felt a tad spongy and never got super firm. They were ok. But after riding these new 'O' code ones (which btw I had to bleed after shortening the hoses - so can't attribute anything to factory bleed) holy **** do they feel nice and firm. Bite point is nice and consistent. Always at the same spot. No weird pump up sensation at all. Less effort overall for a full ride. Will be nice at the bike park where braking so much fatigued my forearms."

One possible wheelset could be a wide rim trail oriented one. You could also race on it. A 30mm inner width rim rear with a DT 350 6 bolt hub, 36 or 54t star ratchets and Sapim Laser spokes with brass nipples(Dans Comp)--- carbon asym for me from Carbonbicycle. They have a 29, 34 and 39 inners. I'd go 34 rear for a 2.35 XR2 Team tire. I think this may be the widest tire that will fit. On a 34 rim you will get better sidewall support(no foldover) and you can run it at 5 psi or more lower pressure. More contact patch. Better cornering and climbing traction.
    [NEW] Asymmetric Mountain bike 27.5er&29er AM hookless rim 40mm wide - Asmymetric Rim - Carbonfan|Carbon Rim|Carbon Wheel|Carbon Bicycle|Carbon Frame|Carbon Bike Part|Mountain bike
    You can request in the note box a rim at the lower weight range. LightBicycle and Nextie also have rims. All can build wheels with some hub choices. Ask about one not listed.

An equivalent from Trek would be the Kovee XXX. 30mm inner front and rear. These would have higher quality carbon rims made by Trek in the US. Hubs are the lighter DT 240 with 54t ratchets. 1390g.
    Bontrager Kovee XXX Boost TLR 29 | Trek Bikes
    If you can get a 20-25% team discount this may look affordable. Race for sure.

For the CB front a 34 for 2.35 tires or 39 for Plus tires like a Rekon. Even a 45mm inner from LB would be a choice.
    Under $800 should be possible if you build a wheelset. You can build 2 fronts.
    Last edited by eb1888; 11-16-2016 at 07:15 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Thanks guys for great info. Maybe I will just look to replacing the rotor first and see how I get on with the brakes.

So with the wheelset - thanks for the guide. I wasn't really thinking of going carbon tbh - lot of money! Was wondering about a more modest upgrade to the Mustang Elites.

I was wanting to run Maxxis high rollers - 2.3 wide. But not sure what the ideal rim width would be... also could these tyres be put on my mustang elites or are they too narrow?

A-X
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Thanks guys for great info. Maybe I will just look to replacing the rotor first and see how I get on with the brakes.

So with the wheelset - thanks for the guide. I wasn't really thinking of going carbon tbh - lot of money! Was wondering about a more modest upgrade to the Mustang Elites.

I was wanting to run Maxxis high rollers - 2.3 wide. But not sure what the ideal rim width would be... also could these tyres be put on my mustang elites or are they too narrow?
    Hope Pro 4 XC Wheelset is good value.
    the DT Swiss Spline 2 1700 Wheelset that comes on the 9.8 is also good value and fairly lightweight.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Hope Pro 4 XC Wheelset is good value.
    the DT Swiss Spline 2 1700 Wheelset that comes on the 9.8 is also good value and fairly lightweight.
    So with the spline 1700- is that a significant upgrade? i am struggling to fine the weight difference. Would those wheels feel better be a fair bit stronger?

A-X
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    So with the spline 1700- is that a significant upgrade? i am struggling to fine the weight difference. Would those wheels feel better be a fair bit stronger?
    They come in a little under 1700g where as the Mustangs are closer to 2000g IIRC. They're also a strong, still wheel and ride lighter than they weigh. It's the first set of stock aluminium wheelset that I haven't felt the need to upgrade for a lighter carbon wheelset due to how well they ride. I'm generally big on as-light-as-I-can-get-away-with wheelsets.

If you do go for them, get the 240S ratchet upgrade for improved engagement and you'll be good to go.

The Hopes come in around 100g heavier than the Spline and the hubs are great. Very good engagement and loud.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    They come in a little under 1700g where as the Mustangs are closer to 2000g IIRC. They're also a strong, still wheel and ride lighter than they weigh. It's the first set of stock aluminium wheelset that I haven't felt the need to upgrade for a lighter carbon wheelset due to how well they ride. I'm generally big on as-light-as-I-can-get-away-with wheelsets.

If you do go for them, get the 240S ratchet upgrade for improved engagement and you'll be good to go.

The Hopes come in around 100g heavier than the Spline and the hubs are great. Very good engagement and loud.
    Thanks mate that is useful info.The splines are looking like a goer for me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    A DT Swiss Spline 2 1700 wheelset in Boost is 1805g for the shimano version and only 22.5mm inner width. 2.3 tires will need 20+ front and more rear to avoid foldover and abrupt washout possibilities. 2.35 Bontrager Team XR2, 3 and 4 are quite different from the Experts that came on your bike. Higher volume with a rounded profile that works really well with 30mm inner width rim wheels. 30mm gives those tires the sidewall support that eliminates foldover even down below 16 psi for a front. And with the higher volume and lower psi you get a big increase in climbing and cornering traction with no loss in rolling speed. The higher volume/lower psi will also add some ride compliance.
    Maxxis doesn't have a better or comparable tire, imo.
    XM 1501 Spline 1 are 1740g in 30mm iw Boost. 35 and 40 are also available.
    https://www.dtswiss.com/Wheels/MTB-W...1-Spline-ONE-1

Your Reba fork has room for a 2.7" actual tire like a Panaracer Fat B Nimble 29 x 3 on a 40mm rim. 765g vs 905g for a HR2.

Procaliber?-p1070164.jpg

on a 30mm here.
    Last edited by eb1888; 11-23-2016 at 04:26 PM.

A-X
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Put on a set of Schwalbe G-One Speed Road tyres for winter riding while the trails are in a bit of a state.

Procaliber?-image.jpeg

Will get some pics up of them on the bike but they look pretty cool in 2.35" sizing. Only rode it up the road and back but they feel like they will be very fast. Amazing how quiet they were too.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Any more pics of that bike? Looks awesome.

mtbr member

Wanted to get some pictures out on a trail with it but ended up getting some snow so I haven't even gotten pedals on it yet. Oh well.

My wife said the paint job makes it look like a 10 year old's bike but I like it and I've wanted one of these Procalibers since I test rode one. Will eventually swap out the wheels and maybe brakes but pretty pleased with everything else. Not sure about the X0 brakes. I like Shimano usually but I'm gonna give them a shot before I swap them out. I've heard good things about the new ones. Looking forward to getting it out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I like the paint job - enjoy!

I have loved my procal so far. In retrospect maybe i didn't need my bike to be quite so XC orientated, but new wheels and chunky tires have made it more versatile for my usage.

mtbr member
    Anyone tried the Procaliber vs the BMC Team Elite 01?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    cheers
    Pagey

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pagey View Post

This review touches a little on their comparison between the two.
    https://www.outsideonline.com/211498...-procaliber-sl

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by pagey View Post

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    What size is that pro cal? Looks tiny or just the seat post is low. Like the paint job. I'm surprised the bike came with XO brakes. Isn't that an XTR groupset? I thought those came with XTR race brakes. Either way cool bike.

mtbr member
    What size is that pro cal? Looks tiny or just the seat post is low. Like the paint job. I'm surprised the bike came with XO brakes. Isn't that an XTR groupset? I thought those came with XTR race brakes. Either way cool bike.
    It's the 17.5". Seat post is pretty low. Haven't gotten anything set up yet. It was a show bike that Trek sold off so the build isn't a standard kit. It could use a wheel upgrade. Don't know that any of the standard builds for them come with DT M series wheels. Similar in weight to the Mustang's that come on the 9.7 I believe. But yea, the brakes don't really match the kit either. Got a decent deal on it and like to tinker anyway so I'll change some stuff out eventually. I imagine the brakes will go first if SRAM hasn't changed since the last set I rode.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Yeah unfortunately the wheels aren't even ratchet based but a pawl system that's not quite as good. So not as easy to justify breaking wheels down and adding carbon rims. Wheels are an easy upgrade these days though. Enjoy the bike

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Throw some Stans Valor's on it and call it a day. I got my 9.8 down to about 21 lbs, things a rocket. BK

mtbr member
    Throw some Stans Valor's on it and call it a day. I got my 9.8 down to about 21 lbs, things a rocket. BK

Nice. my 9.8 with new fork and rims should sit right above 18lbs
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Nice. my 9.8 with new fork and rims should sit right above 18lbs
    Got my wife's new 2017 RSL race ready to 18.1 lbs but going to put a 140mm rotor on back and differ seat and get it under 18 with K-Edge Garmin mount, carbon bottle holder - Stan's Valors and Xpedo pedals.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Brent701, what size frame? and what else have you done do lighten that thing up? 18 lbs is impressive.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Brent701, what size frame? and what else have you done do lighten that thing up? 18 lbs is impressive.
    Size Small, 27.5, Notubes Valors, Schwalbe Racing Ralph and Rocket Ron's, Carbon bottle cage, Kedge Garmin mount, Magura MT8 brakes instead of the SRAM, cut handlebars to 640mm, cut steerer tube for fork like 3 inches. Will be changing rear rotor to 140mm. 18.1 lbs race ready, should be at 18lbs or little under after rotor swap. 18.5 lbs when I use her Rotor Inpower Power meter.

I do have stock wheels with tires and SRAM brakes and seat and Sram Eagle XX1 Crank 170mm with Bottom Bracket that came with bike, Brand New takeoffs if someone interested.

mtbr member
    It's a 19.5"
    Bike was 19.5lbs when I picked it up from the Trek Store. which was stock with XTR peals

If I do the parts it would be a
    2017 Fox 32 SC fork, Nox Teocalli rims with I9 hubs,
    everything else on the bike is carbon. The RS1 with DT Swiss rims are heavy
    Too Many .

LDC is ded,deth by trollz
    Nov 2015
    Whats the biggest chainring that can fit? Im making a SS so i can adjust the chainline on my freehub i just need to clear the largest ring possible using whatever offset chainring makes that happen. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk
    Ill be out riding, youll still be trolling mtbr. Mtbr, where people who dont ride come to pretend they do.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneDetroitCity View Post
    Whats the biggest chainring that can fit? Im making a SS so i can adjust the chainline on my freehub i just need to clear the largest ring possible using whatever offset chainring makes that happen. Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk
    I have a 34T chainring on mine. I highly doubt you are gonna want to run anything bigger than a 34t for a SS. My ss is 32/18
    Too Many .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast