Ok got a question for all the Treksters- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Ok got a question for all the Treksters

Hey all. I am looking into my first real mountain bike (I own a trek 4300 as a commuter bike but fear to take it out on a serious trail being that I am an uber clyde (285 lbs without gear on).

Here are the bikes I've narrowed it down to and I am looking at trek because I've always loved their bikes and love the life time frame guarantee especially since I am hard on sports equipment.

Trek 6000 - I can get this bike for $670 from my local trek dealer and get 1 year free service
    I rode this bike today and love the red/white paint scheme and the black paint scheme. The bike just looks mean.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...6_series/6000/

or

Trek 6500 - I can get this bike for $900 and haven't road it yet, but am curious if the upgraded components are worth the price hike?
    Would I need these parts getting into mostly fire roads and some single track? I am not looking to race or set any records, just want a nice durable bike I won't have to upgrade for awhile.

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...6_series/6500/

I know that the dart 3 is not as nice of a fork as the Tora is, but as a newbie would I really notice a difference?

Coming from a wally world mongoose to a trek 4300 with a crappy gila fork was like going from dirt to gold so.......

What would you do?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Even as a beginner you will feel the difference in the forks. Maybe not on the streets, but once you hit the trails you will notice the difference. I had a 4300 that I rode 1/2 the season before switching the stock gila fork out for a Marzochi fork. What a difference it was. Last year, I picked up a 06 Trek EX 7 with the Reba SL. And the difference between those two forks was really noticeable. The Reba was alot more ridged, had alot less stiction, and was more responsive. Putting a season on the Fuel was a real eye opener, as far as having higher quality parts. I would spend as much as you can afford, as upgrading costs alot more, at least if you plan on riding much. Jesse.

mtbr member
    you're a big guy, and it works against you a bit. those stanchionson the dart will flex a lot more than the beefier toras, plus hydro discs and 9 speed shimano is always better than not. go for it if you can afford it.

mtbr member
    Buy as much as your pocket book will allow.Theres no substitute for quality components. One thing I learned is never underestimate your ability !! You'll surprise yourself over time and riding a quality bike will help build confidence and will be a heck of a lot more enjoyable.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    If your dealer offers the Trek Card, you can pay what you can afford and finance the cost of the upgrade...

Feb 2008
    I roll a 4300 and it has been through gnarly trail action. I replaced the rims, fork, stem, cranks, pedals, seatpost and seat. Not a bad bike and you don't need to worry on a trail with it. A few little upgrades and it would be great. I'm 6'3" 280 and beat the bike and it takes it.

Nightmare on Lyrik st. VI
    If I were you I would ride the 4300. Those bikes you mention are not that much better than your 4300. Save the money for a better and burlier bike. I have a 4300 and an 8000 (in different countries) and the main differences are the suspension and the weight. All the rest is better, but not worth the investment in another bike. In your case you won't feel the difference in weight, so it's down to the fork. You can upgrade the fork in the 4300 for way less than the cost of the 6000 while getting a better fork than the one in the 6500.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    thanks for the info.

I am looking at possibly picking up a gary fisher cobia in late summer early fall because I want to try the 29er thing. I will probably put a new fork on the 4300 and use it for fire roads and light trails and commuting. I will just buy a rock shox tora on sale from nashbar and install it. I already added some shimano 520's on for pedals and replaced the seat post with a more clyde worthy post (bent the stock one the 3rd time out on the trails. I really need to learn to stand up when doing small drops hahaha).

mtbr member
    Save your money and for $1300 get an X-Caliber With the G2 Fox Fork .I think this is one of the best values in a hard tail 29er or hard tail period.They weight around 27.5 pounds.

Members who have read this thread: 0