New member, old Trek Fuel 100- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

New member, old Trek Fuel 100

Some sweet bikes hanging around in this forum.

I've got a 2002 Fuel 100. Overall, I've been very happy with it but last season (early July) I cracked the chainstay doing who knows what (I don't really recall it breaking as there was no obvious change in performance).

Trek the good: no questions asked (i.e. no receipt required, no "well, were you racing this bike ??" etc).

Trek the bad: Did not get replacement rear end until late September. Missed several key races - fortunately still had my Rocky Vertex to keep me busy for the season.

I love the bike, but I was seriously pissed about the delay. I asked around to others I met with the same frame crack (apparently this was identified by Trek as an issue) and about 50% reported the same delays in warranty service. I'm now pondering a new Fuel for next year, but I'm hesitating due to this experience.
    "Atomic batteries to power. Turbines to speed."

get up n jump

9.8 to Fuel 100

I can tell you from my experience with Trek they have gotten better. My 9.8 came broken on the down tube right outta the box. I was pissed!! It took Trek 4 months to fix it. NO they did not send me a new one. Pissed me off even more. 3 years later my 9.8 frame developed cracks around the bottom bracket housing, anyway. Sent it back the Trek in December. 1.5 weeks later they said for $200 you can get a Fuel 100. So I did, cause they were building them I did not get the frame until mid January. There warranty has improved and I asked my LBS about it. They said since I purchased the 9.8 at employee purchase from a now outta business bike shop I worked for. That would be the delay originally. Now that I am a real customer they will jump all over it. So with that said, I would buy Trek again in a heartbeat. No matter what that crazy Limey stupid azz KlienAttitude says about the bad apple bike manufacture called Trek. Sorry for the long story. Go TREK!

Quote Originally Posted by rpmrob
    Some sweet bikes hanging around in this forum.

I've got a 2002 Fuel 100. Overall, I've been very happy with it but last season (early July) I cracked the chainstay doing who knows what (I don't really recall it breaking as there was no obvious change in performance).

Trek the good: no questions asked (i.e. no receipt required, no "well, were you racing this bike ??" etc).

Trek the bad: Did not get replacement rear end until late September. Missed several key races - fortunately still had my Rocky Vertex to keep me busy for the season.

I love the bike, but I was seriously pissed about the delay. I asked around to others I met with the same frame crack (apparently this was identified by Trek as an issue) and about 50% reported the same delays in warranty service. I'm now pondering a new Fuel for next year, but I'm hesitating due to this experience.
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
    -Albert Einstein