Marlin drive train problems- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Marlin drive train problems

I have a 2003 Marlin that is about 1.5 years old. I have a problem where the I am getting "chattering" like the bike is between gears, when I am pedalling under pressure (for example up a hill). The problem gets worse when the bike gets even a little dirty. My LBS has replaced the front derailleur, rear derailleur, chain, cassette, cables for both drailleurs, and rebuilt the rear wheel with a new XT hub (rim is a Rhyno Lite which is about 6 months old). Both derailleurs and the hub are now XT, the chain is a SRAM, and I am not sure what the cassette is. The frame does not creak and my LBS checked for cracks at the top of the welds at the bottom of the seat tube, but did not find any. I am a clydesdale at about 250 lbs and ride on average 2 to 3 times per week. Does anyone have any idea what is causing this?

Thanks in advance.

Mar 2004

sorry i have no idea

maybe your frame is bent...???

Did your lbs check your chainline ? Perhaps you need new cable housing to go along with those new cables (gunk can build up inside the housing, affecting shifting performance) ? Or, as maddogdunn suggested, perhaps your frame (or rear dr hanger) is bent....or even just frame flex, beings as you mention that you're somewhat of a Clyde.
    It has to be frustrating to change out all that stuff and still have a problem you can't pinpoint...good luck !!! Maybe think about taking your bike to another lbs (a second opinion never hurts...)

Quote Originally Posted by bergjm
    I have a 2003 Marlin that is about 1.5 years old. I have a problem where the I am getting "chattering" like the bike is between gears, when I am pedalling under pressure (for example up a hill). The problem gets worse when the bike gets even a little dirty. My LBS has replaced the front derailleur, rear derailleur, chain, cassette, cables for both drailleurs, and rebuilt the rear wheel with a new XT hub (rim is a Rhyno Lite which is about 6 months old). Both derailleurs and the hub are now XT, the chain is a SRAM, and I am not sure what the cassette is. The frame does not creak and my LBS checked for cracks at the top of the welds at the bottom of the seat tube, but did not find any. I am a clydesdale at about 250 lbs and ride on average 2 to 3 times per week. Does anyone have any idea what is causing this?

Thanks in advance.