Lets see your Stache official thread - Page 46- Mtbr.com
Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 364243444546
Results 4,501 to 4,589 of 4589
    mtbr member
    Huckleberry, thx for the suggestion. I see your logic. The interwebs say I have a Dore 10spd Shadow Plus derailleur which is maxed at 42t. So I could go down to 30x42. Maybe see how this does on the local climbs. As a new rider, I could use the gear help until the fitness catches up. Dropper post shows up next week, maybe I will just get it all done at once.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by TXPABIKER View Post
    Huckleberry, thx for the suggestion. I see your logic. The interwebs say I have a Dore 10spd Shadow Plus derailleur which is maxed at 42t. So I could go down to 30x42. Maybe see how this does on the local climbs. As a new rider, I could use the gear help until the fitness catches up. Dropper post shows up next week, maybe I will just get it all done at once.
    Your chain ring is a 30 on that bike. If you upgrade, do the complete drivetrain at once.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    So, I'm a spinner and switched from 1x10 11-36 to 1x12 11-50, and have a 28T chain ring to fit if I can get the &$#@! Aeffect crank off. Also need to swap the bars as the stock nearly straight ones do my hands and wrists in pretty quickly; maybe the SQlab 16į bars might fix that. And the bars need to go down to get more weight on the front wheel on steep climbs.

Still, the Stache is amazingly capable compared to something with say 26x2.1" tyres, and floats over a lot of stuff one would be plowing through with smaller tyres.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TXPABIKER View Post
    If you are going to be maxed out at a 42t then you might want to consider switching to a 28t chainring. You can have mine if you want it. I could either meet you and one of the trails or mail it to you.
    Change begins by doing something different.

mtbr member
    So still no update from Trek on the real geometry of carbon and newer aluminum frames, very disappointing. You'd really think this wasn't very hard and the numbers would be readily available.

I'm starting to think about going in a different direction instead...

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    So still no update from Trek on the real geometry of carbon and newer aluminum frames, very disappointing. You'd really think this wasn't very hard and the numbers would be readily available.

I think you're blowing it out of proportion, I'm happy to see a trek rep even respond on a forum they don't control.

Go ride the bike, see if you like how it feels

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004

What, the BB drop? 72mm on the carbon frame is probably right, I went out and measured my axle height and BB height and it was close enough to that number to believe them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by richde View Post
    What, the BB drop? 72mm on the carbon frame is probably right, I went out and measured my axle height and BB height and it was close enough to that number to believe them.
    BB drop is one of the numbers in question. Could be 72mm, could be 65mm. Other numbers on the charts don't make sense either. It's like trying to buy a car and they tell you it has 300 hp, no wait, maybe it has 250 hp. We'll get back to you on that...

How is that OK? It's like 10 measurements, and they are important. How can they not figure this out?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by richde View Post
    What were your measurements? One of the charts says 72mm drop and 328mm height. Another says 65mm drop and 322mm height. And the aluminum says 60mm drop and 329mm height.

mtbr member
    322 mm height is correct. It is significantly higher than the new SC carbon Chameleon which is listed as 315 mm on the 29er and 314 mm on the 27.5+. You should be fine using the 170 mm cranks that you were planning. Build it up and ride the wheels of it. It is an awesome bike.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by phalkon30 View Post
    I think you're blowing it out of proportion, I'm happy to see a trek rep even respond on a forum they don't control.

Go ride the bike, see if you like how it feels
    Agreed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    BB drop is one of the numbers in question. Could be 72mm, could be 65mm. Other numbers on the charts don't make sense either. It's like trying to buy a car and they tell you it has 300 hp, no wait, maybe it has 250 hp. We'll get back to you on that...

How is that OK? It's like 10 measurements, and they are important. How can they not figure this out?
    I think that's an unfair comparison, isn't this more like saying the car mfg told you it was 7mm lower to the ground than it actually is? They're not mis-stating the number of gears here.

7mm sag is probably the difference in tire pressure from ride to ride for most people

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by huckleberry hound View Post
    322 mm height is correct. It is significantly higher than the new SC carbon Chameleon which is listed as 315 mm on the 29er and 314 mm on the 27.5+. You should be fine using the 170 mm cranks that you were planning. Build it up and ride the wheels of it. It is an awesome bike.
    SC in general is in love with low BBs; one of the reasons I bought a Stache and am selling my 5010 v2!

That being said I agree that even the new geometry BB isn't crazy low or anything.
    Stache 7 --- Rigid Surly 1x1 B+ --- Dirt Drop CrossCheck

mtbr member

Just picked up a left over 2018 Stache 5. Have some upgraded brakes and an ABS+ damper coming for it.
    2019 Trek Stache 5
    2013 Trek Marlin - For Sale

mtbr member
    Anyone know what dropper the 2018 Stache 5 has? Seems to have 125mm of travel.
    2019 Trek Stache 5

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Not 100% certain but I imagine they would use the bontrager drop post as it would keep their costs down

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I think it is an off brand Brand X post.

Community Manager at Trek
    Quote Originally Posted by Wisconsinite762 View Post
    Anyone know what dropper the 2018 Stache 5 has? Seems to have 125mm of travel.
    It is a TranzX Dropper. I would consider the Line Dropper or Line Elite Dropper if you ever plan to upgrade!

Edited!
    Last edited by Mitch@Trek; 02-04-2019 at 09:00 PM.
    Community Manager | Trek Bicycle Corporation | www.trekbikes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch@Trek View Post
    It is a TranzX Dropper. I would consider upgrading to the Line Dropper or Line Elite Dropper!
    Thanks!

Any specific reason to replace it? Are the TranzX posts known to have issues?

I plan on upgrading to a 150mm dropper eventually, but not for while.
    2019 Trek Stache 5

Australia
    Thanks!

Any specific reason to replace it? Are the TranzX posts known to have issues?

I plan on upgrading to a 150mm dropper eventually, but not for while.
    Personally I'd run the TranzX until it shits itself, unless you've got money burning a hole in your pocket. When it does, that'll be your cue to upgrade to a 150mm. I say this because it probably wouldn't be worth selling it for the money you'll get, and that it might surprise you and last 2-3 years Į\_(ツ)_/Į
    29+ Stache

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bataleon View Post
    Personally I'd run the TranzX until it shits itself, unless you've got money burning a hole in your pocket. When it does, that'll be your cue to upgrade to a 150mm. I say this because it probably wouldn't be worth selling it for the money you'll get, and that it might surprise you and last 2-3 years Į\_(ツ)_/Į
    That sounds like a good idea.
    2019 Trek Stache 5

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    That sounds like a good idea.
    I have no idea what the no brand dropper on my 2018 7 is but dang, itís been far more reliable than the f#~<%* Reverb on my FS rig which probably cost twice as much when new. Riding mine until it dies too.

My name is TanMan and Iím a recovering upgradaholic.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I've been riding a '16 Stache 9 for the past few seasons and just bought an '18 9.7 on closeout, can't wait to get out on it. Anyway, I am thinking about upgrading the wheelset to the Line Pro 40s, I am sure it is in this thread somewhere but does anyone have experience on them? Worthy upgrade or would you consider another approach?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I went from the oem durocs to the line pro 40s and have been extremely happy with them. Made the bike feel like it went from running in hiking boots to running shoes

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Same as above....quality upgrades.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. I love the hiking boots to running shoes analogy ha!

Quote Originally Posted by Libikerdad View Post
    I went from the oem durocs to the line pro 40s and have been extremely happy with them. Made the bike feel like it went from running in hiking boots to running shoes
    Quote Originally Posted by 2old View Post

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ejabbale View Post
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. I love the hiking boots to running shoes analogy ha!
    I have a hard charging friend who rolls on the Light Bicycle stuff without any problems whatsoever (he hasn't even had to tighten a spoke in 2 years). 45i width and 1775 grams with DT Swiss 350 hubs for $824 delivered. Not bad. I have no idea what would happen if you had a warranty issue with them. I know Bontrager will stand up for their stuff. Line 40s are $1200 for the set. About a $400 savings might be worth the risk? Maybe? Either way, taking about 400 grams (almost 1#) gyroscopic, rotating mass off the wheels is significant.

https://www.lightbicycle.com/Hand-bu...ompatible.html

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I got my line pro 40s for a little over $800. Talk to your shop and see what they can do

Off the back...
    Quote Originally Posted by beastmaster View Post
    I have a hard charging friend who rolls on the Light Bicycle stuff without any problems whatsoever (he hasn't even had to tighten a spoke in 2 years). 45i width and 1775 grams with DT Swiss 350 hubs for $824 delivered. Not bad. I have no idea what would happen if you had a warranty issue with them. I know Bontrager will stand up for their stuff. Line 40s are $1200 for the set. About a $400 savings might be worth the risk? Maybe? Either way, taking about 400 grams (almost 1#) gyroscopic, rotating mass off the wheels is significant.

Light Bicycle has an office in the US, so warranty shouldn't be an issue.
    @pinkrobeyyc
    #pinkrobeyyc

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Thank you for the suggestion, I will look into Light Bicycle but I will most likely stick with Bontrager as I have a good relationship with my LBS and know, without question, that if I have any issues they will help. I appreciate it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Libikerdad View Post

Quote Originally Posted by beastmaster View Post

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Awesome, will do...thanks!

mtbr member
    I was gonna wait a while before getting a carbon wheelset. I thought about having some built up by my LBS but see that Nextie has free shipping thru the 15th and I can get a 40mm wheelset with DT Swiss 350 hubs shipped for $750.
    Last edited by Tunalic; 02-16-2019 at 12:25 AM.
    2018 Trek Stache 7
    2016 Trek Farley 9.6
    2015 616 Muenzie
    2013 On One Fatty
    2011 Trek Sawyer (27.5+ Alfine 8 spd)

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Can the Shimano slx shifter be removed from the handlebars with the grips still on? The dropper and brakes come off easy...cant figure out the shifter Lets see your Stache official thread-img_20190211_170652.jpg
    2018 Trek Stache7
    2017 Hightower S+

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gendy View Post
    Can the Shimano slx shifter be removed from the handlebars with the grips still on? The dropper and brakes come off easy...cant figure out the shifter Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190211_170652.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	171.3 KB 
ID:	1238246
    Nope you have to take the grip off. Just get a large zip tie and some alcohol. Slide the zip tie under the grip, use the zip tie to pry it up and spray some alcohol in between the grip and handlebar. Continue working your way all the way down to the other end of the grip. It helps if you position the bar so that gravity works with you. I've done this many times and it works like a champ. I'll be doing it again this weekend when my new bars come in.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by huckleberry hound View Post
    Nope you have to take the grip off. Just get a large zip tie and some alcohol. Slide the zip tie under the grip, use the zip tie to pry it up and spray some alcohol in between the grip and handlebar. Continue working your way all the way down to the other end of the grip. It helps if you position the bar so that gravity works with you. I've done this many times and it works like a champ. I'll be doing it again this weekend when my new bars come in.
    Thanks bud. that was what i was afraid of, but appreciate the confirmation. Funny that shimano brakes come apart in a cinch.
    2018 Trek Stache7
    2017 Hightower S+

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Hey guys Iím new to the Stache world, just picked up a 2019 Stache 5 and was hoping someone could point me in the right directions for some upgrades. I just ordered some slx brakes for it, looking to maybe upgrade the drive terrain for a 1x11 and also maybe a different handle bar setup. I ride an xl frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanschaff View Post
    Hey guys Iím new to the Stache world, just picked up a 2019 Stache 5 and was hoping someone could point me in the right directions for some upgrades. I just ordered some slx brakes for it, looking to maybe upgrade the drive terrain for a 1x11 and also maybe a different handle bar setup. I ride an xl frame.
    If you want to go to 11 speed then I would just do SLX derailleur and shifter with a Sunrace 11-46 cassette. You will also want to change your chainring to a 30T. Kmc chains are a good value as well.Personally if it were me I would upgrade the hubs first with Hope and just re-lace them to your wheels. You will also need new spokes as well. The Duroc rims are actually pretty good it is just the Formula/ Bontrager hubs that stink.That is what I did with my 2018 Stache 7.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hope-Pro-4-...7_gA:rk:2:pf:0
    He is a dealer with full warranty.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    So donít do like a Sram nx full swap? Iíll probably ride with the 1x10 for awhile but I definitely want to do hubs bc from what I read the formula ones suck. Thatís good to know that the stock wheels arenít to bad, I know people run the carbon pro 40s but those are super pricy for me lol

mtbr member
    So donít do like a Sram nx full swap? Iíll probably ride with the 1x10 for awhile but I definitely want to do hubs bc from what I read the formula ones suck. Thatís good to know that the stock wheels arenít to bad, I know people run the carbon pro 40s but those are super pricy for me lol
    No SLX is better than NX 11 speed. I recommend the Sunrace 11-46 cassette over the SLX cassette because it has better spacing. If you were to do NX 11 speed the cassette is only 11-42 so you aren't really gaining much over your 11-42 10 speed cassette.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Would anyone be interested In buying 2019 Stache 5 rims? Pretty much brand new, only have road the bike in my driveway. Just got the bike 2 weeks ago

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Rims or complete wheelset?

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Wheelset, no tire, brake disk, or cassette. But front and rear wheel

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Anyone selling wheels? I have a Stache 5 wanting to upgrade to better hubs. Was looking at either arcs 40 or wtb scrappers

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I'd be interested in the stock wheelset if it was in the sub $100 range. My Stache is running Hope Pro4/Arc40 so my stock wheelset is gone. Don't have a lot of respect for the stock wheelset really, but if it was cheap enough, I'd build a beater.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Finally got a good snow ride in- love being first tracks, and a coyote that was very suspicious of anyone who'd ride a bike today.

Lets see your Stache official thread-20190220_074950.jpgLets see your Stache official thread-20190220_082857.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    How do you like the arc wheels? My wheels are brand new just got the bike 2 weeks ago but wanting to upgrade lol

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    How do you like the arc wheels? My wheels are brand new just got the bike 2 weeks ago but wanting to upgrade lol
    I'll give my 2cents too, I've been running arcs for 3 years and they've been very solid. I had a wheelset built up by lacemine29 with dt350 hubs and arcs 40s and I've had no issues at all.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Would you go for the hope hubs or dt350? Also I have a Stache 5 with the Shimano 1x10 and I plan to upgrade to a NX Eagle eventually, but if I buy the wheels with the hubs that fit the Shimano then it wouldnít be compatible with the sram correct?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Hopes and dt's are both good hubs. I'm pretty big and fairly ox-like and the wheelbuilder recommended the dt's to me because they're very robust and easy to service. I'd go for dt's for me, but I certainly think hope makes an outstanding product.

As far as the shimano/sram driver compatibility, if you want to start with the 10 speed and then go to the 12 speed- there may be some preplanning on your part. Pretty much all modern hubs have replacement drivers so you can change their compatibility pretty easily.

Some of the 10speed cassettes are actually on shimano 11 speed drivers with a spacer on both sides. I'm not sure if that's how trek did that. A shimano 11 speed driver is compatible with SRAM NX 12 speed, but ONLY NX. All the other SRAMs need a different driver to accomodate the 10 tooth gear.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Would I be better off ordering the wheel with a sram driver? And order a sram drive terrain? Know anyone selling used? Or if I should just go nx, NX Eagle, or gx? I donít have any issues with my 1x10 tho

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Im not sure anyone can answer that for you. You say you don't have issues with your 10speed, what are you trying to accomplish?

A full GX setup (shifters/cranks/derailleur/cassette) is about $500. A full NX setup is a little more than half that and uses a shimano driver. NX is every bit as functional -just heavier and doesn't feel quite as nice.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I'm a huge fan of Hope hubs. I'm around 210-220# and still have a Hope Pro 2/EX 5.1d wheelset that was built by Universal Cycles in 2006. Still running strong....been on several bikes from XC to AM and abused.

Got another Pro4 Stan's Flow EX wheelset and my Pro4 Arc40 on the Stache.

Love Hope.

mtbr member
    Ready to rebuild and bring her back to life! Special shout out to Ďedwardmatsí for helping make it a reality!

Lets see your Stache official thread-093cd8d9-8387-4dbf-9093-5d55363decd9.jpg
    2018 YT Jeffsy 29 AL
    2014 Trek Stache 6
    1992 Trek Antelope 730
    (Deceased) 2015 GT Zaskar 29 Sport

mtbr member
    Lets see your Stache official thread-c1ecd462-c198-4afb-9f7b-1ab4771ad34f.jpg

Off to the LBS for some hardware and final work.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    That was fast

Out spokin'

Hey Stache owners...

You guys should probably be made aware of this. There will be fakes out there.
    https://forums.mtbr.com/off-camber-o...n-1098684.html
    Don't thank me,
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MrIcky View Post
    Some of the 10speed cassettes are actually on shimano 11 speed drivers with a spacer on both sides. I'm not sure if that's how trek did that. A shimano 11 speed driver is compatible with SRAM NX 12 speed, but ONLY NX. All the other SRAMs need a different driver to accomodate the 10 tooth gear.
    Please note that Shimano 8, 9, 10 & 11 speed MTB freehub bodies are the same width; *road* 11 speed are wider than 8/9/10, but MTB are not.

Also, the Sunrace 11-50 12 speed cassettes fit on Shimano-style MTB freehub bodies, and shift fine. They have different middle cogs to NX (19,21,24,28 versus 19,22,25,28) which some may like better; I do. So, unless you really want a 10T cog there are other options. My Stache came with a 10 speed cassette, but I immediately fitted the Sunrace 12, which gives two lower gears. ;-)

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Anyone have line plus 40 wheels for sale?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Check with Trek....best up grade I made.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Anybody switched to a 130 fork with 2.6 tires? hows the BB height?

mtbr member
    Check with Trek....best up grade I made.

Been agonizing over getting a set of these wheels for my Stache.
    Everybody says its a solid upgrade.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Iíd love to get some just donít know if I can justify the price

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I sold my '17 Stumpy 6Fattie to buy 'em.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaFACE View Post
    Anybody switched to a 130 fork with 2.6 tires? hows the BB height?
    That's kinda of De-Stache'ing the Stache. The point of Stache is 29x3.

If you want a longer travel aggressive bike with skinnier tires, sell the Stache and build up something like the RSD Middle Child.

I think your BB would be fine though. And I'm running 140mm Yari on mine. Rocks.

Live Free & Ride
    Speaking of '17 Stache 5....here's mine ready to be ridden. Line pro 40's,Eagle, Pike,dropper. Weighs in at 28lbs. on the fish scale. Been done for awhile, I was wanting to take a trail pic but that's going to be awhile too.

Nice 17! Building one up now and hope to get it that same range. Custom i39 carbon rims with i9 Torch hubs should help!
    17 Stache 29+
    17 Moto Ti gravel
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r
    15 Moto NT fat & 27.5+

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed View Post
    That's kinda of De-Stache'ing the Stache. The point of Stache is 29x3.

If you want a longer travel aggressive bike with skinnier tires, sell the Stache and build up something like the RSD Middle Child.

I think your BB would be fine though. And I'm running 140mm Yari on mine. Rocks.
    What about pre2016? Itís still Stache with the sub+ rubber. I built mine with a 15mm lower cup to add a little...

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Latest iteration, Pike and XR4s.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by niknaim View Post
    Latest iteration, Pike and XR4s.

Any noticable difference in ride due to weight of the xr4 tire?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I suppose you mean compared to the Chupacabra/XR2.
    Have no direct comparison since the last setup was Minion DHF front and WTB Ranger tough rear. Still remember the speed and quick acceleration of the Chupas though.

This means: of course the XR4s are heavier and you notice it good and bad. Harder to get up to speed, slower rolling especially on smooth sourfaces, but also loads more grip, damping and traction.

Might swap back to the Ranger in the rear in summer.
    Hope you have your answer there

Live Free & Ride
    Just itching to get this bike put together and complete. So much so, that I decided to slap on my 29er wheels (non-boost) w/studs, and see how it looked....
    Still waiting for i39 carbon hoops to come in and finish that part of the build, along with GX dub crank and rotors. SO close and report back when its a proper 29+ Stache that its meant to be!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lets see your Stache official thread-2019-03-06-16.35.38.jpg  

Lets see your Stache official thread-2019-03-06-16.37.23.jpg  

Lets see your Stache official thread-2019-03-06-16.37.40.jpg  

17 Stache 29+
    17 Moto Ti gravel
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r
    15 Moto NT fat & 27.5+

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Have you already ordered the GX DUB crankset? If not, I have one with new BB I would sell.

Live Free & Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by jinx44 View Post
    Have you already ordered the GX DUB crankset? If not, I have one with new BB I would sell.
    Its on the bench w/ BB, along with new Torch hub and GX rear mech...along with a brew to help out with the build....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lets see your Stache official thread-2019-02-28-17.47.42.jpg  

17 Stache 29+
    17 Moto Ti gravel
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r
    15 Moto NT fat & 27.5+

mtbr member
    Nexties with DT Swiss 350s came in. Knocked a LB off.

2018 Trek Stache 7
    2016 Trek Farley 9.6
    2015 616 Muenzie
    2013 On One Fatty

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunalic View Post

Looks great!! How's the ride?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED View Post
    Looks great!! How's the ride?
    Thanks! It rides a hell of a lot better. I was trying to get the weight down close to my Farley. Definitely the best investment so far!....not nearly as sluggish.
    2018 Trek Stache 7
    2016 Trek Farley 9.6
    2015 616 Muenzie
    2013 On One Fatty

mtbr member
    For those interested in these things, it looks like Trek has quietly updated the geometry tables for the Stache.

According to the old tables, the 2016 & 2017 aluminum frames had a BB drop of 60mm and a BB height of 32.9.

According to the new charts, the current (and I assume all carbon and all 2018 aluminum) frames have a BB drop of 68mm and a BB height of 31.7. That's for the 18.5, 19.5, & 21.5 frames. The other frames sizes are slightly different, which is weird.

So that means the difference in BB height between the old and new geometries is 8mm, not huge, but certainly noticeable. I'm glad I went with an older frame for that reason alone.

So yeah, I picked up a used 2017 aluminum Stache frame, and am in the process of acquiring some parts to build it up into a SSSS (Sweet SingleSpeed Stache)! More to come!

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    [/url]
    Nice, congrats!

I'm doing some wheel shopping now... how much did the nexties set you back? I see the consensus in this thread is to go with the line pros, which i'm not against....just want to make an informed purchase
    2018 Trek Stache7
    2017 Hightower S+

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Trek don't seem to be too good at posting correct geometry info. My suspicion is that 17.5, 19.5 and 21.5 frames are carbon and have similar geometry, and that the alu frames (like 18.5) may well differ. If in doubt, measure: "One measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gendy View Post
    Nice, congrats!

I'm doing some wheel shopping now... how much did the nexties set you back? I see the consensus in this thread is to go with the line pros, which i'm not against....just want to make an informed purchase
    At the time I got free shipping. Complete wheelset shipped was $750. Weighed on my postal scale was 1875g.

I got these rims: https://www.nextie.net/standard-moun...inch-NXT29RM40
    2018 Trek Stache 7
    2016 Trek Farley 9.6
    2015 616 Muenzie
    2013 On One Fatty

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    At the time I got free shipping. Complete wheelset shipped was $750. Weighed on my postal scale was 1875g.

I got these rims: https://www.nextie.net/standard-moun...inch-NXT29RM40
    Are they 40mm external?
    2018 Trek Stache7
    2017 Hightower S+

mtbr member
    Yes. I meant to measure but was surprised that they had been delivered so fast. I couldn't wait to get em mounted up!

Being the 1st carbon wheelset for me I was impressed.

2018 Trek Stache 7
    2016 Trek Farley 9.6
    2015 616 Muenzie
    2013 On One Fatty

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Yes. I meant to measure but was surprised that they had been delivered so fast. I couldn't wait to get em mounted up!

Are you running the stock xr2s? If so, can you post a pic of what they look like installed? I'm wondering if i should remain the stock size 50 or downsize a bit
    2018 Trek Stache7
    2017 Hightower S+

mtbr member
    Stock wheel on the right with xr2s

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by satanas View Post
    Trek don't seem to be too good at posting correct geometry info. My suspicion is that 17.5, 19.5 and 21.5 frames are carbon and have similar geometry, and that the alu frames (like 18.5) may well differ. If in doubt, measure: "One measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions."
    Trek has said that the current aluminum frames match the carbon frames.

Australia

The tyre profile looks great on 34 ID, you did well!

I've got Nextie "Premium" 39 ID. Had I known I would've gone for 34 ID too and saved a little more weight (and $)

Enjoy them, Nextie make fantastic wheels and in my experience have customer service second to none.
    29+ Stache

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bataleon View Post
    The tyre profile looks great on 34 ID, you did well!

I've got Nextie "Premium" 39 ID. Had I known I would've gone for 34 ID too and saved a little more weight (and $)

Enjoy them, Nextie make fantastic wheels and in my experience have customer service second to none.
    Thanks! I thought about going a few mm more in width but remembered how well my Kore Realm Rims (30 ID) looked and rode on my Sawyer. I pulled the trigger on these a lot sooner than I had planned. I couldn't have built them up myself for that amount. Nextie even threw in tubeless valve stems and tape.
    2018 Trek Stache 7
    2016 Trek Farley 9.6
    2015 616 Muenzie
    2013 On One Fatty

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Ideally, that last set of corner knobs are pretty vertical. The sidewall support on the XR2 is going to be a little weak. At over 200#, I'd never go below i40 on a 3"tire.

The weight savings won't be palpable and the bike will corner under a load better with i40.

It'll work, but all your gaining is bragging rights of a lighter wheelset...nothing more.

But in the end, if it works for you that's all that matters.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed View Post
    At over 200#, I'd never go below i40 on a 3"tire.

It'll work, but all your gaining is bragging rights of a lighter wheelset...nothing more.

But in the end, if it works for you that's all that matters.
    I weigh 160#. I surely ain't gonna go out of my way to brag about a light wheelset. It's working so far. Thanks for the info though... and everyone else on this forum!
    https://forums.mtbr.com/26-27-5-29-p...s-1011162.html

2018 Trek Stache 7
    2016 Trek Farley 9.6
    2015 616 Muenzie
    2013 On One Fatty

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

New question here.

So I'm not super in love with the Pike on my 2018 9.7, looking for some advice. It's had a small oil leak from the lower rebound since day one (it's always "wet"), and on small root drops on corners I feel like I struggle to keep the wheel on the ground. It's probably mainly poor setup on my part, but I've also never serviced it so I'll do that and start over.

1. Does the 2018 have the Debonair air spring? Trek website doesn't say so, an owner in this thread says yes
    2. If I can upgrade to the Debonair, am I crazy to try this on my own? I'm comfortable working on brakes and BB's and stuff, never touched an air fork though
    3. I'll buy oil/grease to service the lower, do I really need the full rebuild kit as well? Looking at this one, not sure when I would need it: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B013FIV1H4/

Thanks in advance for any advice..

Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 364243444546

Members who have read this thread: 421