Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 344041424344
Results 4,301 to 4,334 of 4334
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    140mm fork on carbon Stache? Crazy? Overkill? Or damn near perfect?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by huckleberry hound View Post
    You do know that you can get custom decals for DT Swiss. https://www.slikgraphics.com/product...-hub-decal-kit
    They have stealth black.
    Well I do know thanks to you. 👍

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Anyone seen cracking like this on their Stache?

First is drive side seat stay and second is between top tube and seat tube. Canít tell if itís paint crack or carbon crack. Just got it back from getting built up and noticed them... super bummed out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    On another note fox 34 boost stepcast with the line pro 40s leaves about 6mm to crown and 12mm to steerer when fully compressed. Not sure a minion 3.0 dhf would clear unfortunately.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Yeah man, that's tight. I see debris scratching the heck out of your Stanchions in your future, hehehe.
    Last edited by chelboed; 1 Week Ago at 06:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Got my Stache 7 back in the beginning of October. This was my first ride with it. Havenít really taken any pictures of it since, just enjoying the heck out of it! No regrets at all.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rexdriver85 View Post
    Got my Stache 7 back in the beginning of October. This was my first ride with it. Havenít really taken any pictures of it since, just enjoying the heck out of it! No regrets at all.

Beautiful!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mopes View Post

First is drive side seat stay and second is between top tube and seat tube. Canít tell if itís paint crack or carbon crack. Just got it back from getting built up and noticed them... super bummed out.

Yep, my 9.7 is cracking at the seat post and drive stays. Trek dealer did the "tap test" and said it's just the paint stressing, not a crack.

Time will tell, it got bigger after I landed on my seat hard in a race. Trek has a great warranty though, trust me, I've broken a few frames at this spot.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by phalkon30 View Post
    Yep, my 9.7 is cracking at the seat post and drive stays. Trek dealer did the "tap test" and said it's just the paint stressing, not a crack.

Time will tell, it got bigger after I landed on my seat hard in a race. Trek has a great warranty though, trust me, I've broken a few frames at this spot.
    Same spots as mine or different?

For what itís worth Iíve heard from a couple carbon experts that the tap test is no longer and effective testing method due to differences in layups, thickness, etc on any given frame these days...

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Mid-shaft tube fractures are not very common with carbon unless there has been impact on that part of the frame. It doesn't appear you had any impact. More normal is cracking at junction points where laminates come together or tube ends (delamination). The seatstay crack on your frame is just above the RD cable frame entrance, just one of these spots. The top tube crack could be one of these junctions too. I have had several Trek frames suffer problems (delamination at the seatpost and two chainstay breaks just behind the crank on the drive side). Trek warrantied these parts quickly in all three cases. You might have gotten a bad frame. Trek will take care of you.

Plastic bikes break. Metal bikes break (generally welding failures). All bikes break. Stress fractures happen if you ride them hard enough to flex them repeatedly. This why manufacturers have warranties, including generous crash warranties.

Bigger problems are bike and component design flaws. These are inexcusable, especially in this era of material technology and computer analysis.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Lets see your Stache official thread

Last edited by mopes; 1 Week Ago at 12:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Send it back

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Same spots as mine or different?

For what itís worth Iíve heard from a couple carbon experts that the tap test is no longer and effective testing method due to differences in layups, thickness, etc on any given frame these days...
    Similar, drive side both upper and lower stays have crack. It creaks under power, I wonder if it's related.

Hard to get a picture of my seat post top tube junction in my dark garage, but there are multiple web cracks on both sides that are growing

Ultimately I'll keep riding it until it gets scary, trek has been good to me in past frame warranties. Until they agree its a problem... Not much I can do.

Live Free & Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED View Post
    Beautiful!!!

Good to see a muddy Stache! - rexdriver85

2 questions: How does the water bottom come out...thru the side?
    What brand/model seat bag is that?
    17 Stache 29+
    17 Moto Ti gravel
    14 GT Zaskar 9r
    15 Moto NT fat & 27.5+
    08 BMC Trailfox
    06 C-dale Rush
    99 GT XCR

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Mtbiker View Post

Good to see a muddy Stache! - rexdriver85

2 questions: How does the water bottom come out...thru the side?
    What brand/model seat bag is that?
    I just angle the water bottle a little and pop it in and out.

The seat bag is a Outvi Possm, itís freaking awesome and itís super secure I never even worry about it. www.outvi.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    On another note fox 34 boost stepcast with the line pro 40s leaves about 6mm to crown and 12mm to steerer when fully compressed. Not sure a minion 3.0 dhf would clear unfortunately.

Is that a 3.0? If it is, I guess the 2019 stepcast has a bunch more clearance than the regular 2019 34. Mine can barely clear a 2.6 treaded tire.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by j-t-g View Post
    Is that a 3.0? If it is, I guess the 2019 stepcast has a bunch more clearance than the regular 2019 34. Mine can barely clear a 2.6 treaded tire.
    Yup 3.0 chup. Wanted to squeeze a minion but doubt it will clear.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Is anyone running a bolt on rear axle on their stache? If so, which one did you go with? Looks like there are three different pitch options but seems that an ibis hexle or robert axle project should have something that would work on our frames.

This qr handle looks terrible and seems like it would catch on something at an inopportune time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Is anyone running a bolt on rear axle on their stache? If so, which one did you go with? Looks like there are three different pitch options but seems that an ibis hexle or robert axle project should have something that would work on our frames.

This qr handle looks terrible and seems like it would catch on something at an inopportune time.
    I just purchased the new Bontrager Switch thru axles. I would check those out. Basically, the lever (sold separate) is held in by friction if you want to leave it on, but you can remove it by pulling it straight off. It essentially becomes part of your toolkit to remove the wheel unless you just want to use an allen wrench.

Lets see your Stache official thread-bswitch.png

Lets see your Stache official thread-bswitch2.png

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Gotta say just how much I love my Stache, rode yesterday and today and my ride this morning was the best ride most fun I've had since getting back on a bike this past June. I live in New England ( Massachusetts) and we have definitely got our share of hard core riding spots and no matter what I throw at this bike it just kills it and begs for more..Very happy!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by eastsideride View Post
    I just purchased the new Bontrager Switch thru axles. I would check those out. Basically, the lever (sold separate) is held in by friction if you want to leave it on, but you can remove it by pulling it straight off. It essentially becomes part of your toolkit to remove the wheel unless you just want to use an allen wrench.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BSwitch.PNG 
Views:	44 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	1224046

Name:	BSwitch2.PNG 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	1224047
    Thanks, can't find it on the site but what did it run you? Do you have a part number by chance?

Based on the specs listed in your picture looks like this maxle stealth would fit too though I'm not sure if the pitch is supposed to be 1.75 or 1.5 as robert axle project specifies/guarantees... Obviously the boost version (12x148 is needed) and it appears the length should be 180mm.

https://www.amazon.com/Maxle-Stealth.../dp/B06XBG5FDN

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Thanks, can't find it on the site but what did it run you? Do you have a part number by chance?

Based on the specs listed in your picture looks like this maxle stealth would fit too though I'm not sure if the pitch is supposed to be 1.75 or 1.5 as robert axle project specifies/guarantees... Obviously the boost version (12x148 is needed) and it appears the length should be 180mm.

https://www.amazon.com/Maxle-Stealth.../dp/B06XBG5FDN
    No problem!

You wouldn't see it on the site as it is considered a service item and not many are online. But your local Trek dealer would be able to order one! The sizing for the rear is 12x148 (180mm length) with a M12x1.75 thread.

Part number for the axle is W565792, cost was $39.99.
    Part number for the lever is W573860, cost was $19.99.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Lets see your Stache official thread

No problem!

You wouldn't see it on the site as it is considered a service item and not many are online. But your local Trek dealer would be able to order one! The sizing for the rear is 12x148 (180mm length) with a M12x1.75 thread.

Awesome. Thank you. I donít imagine you threw just then axle on a scale did you?

Also, any thoughts if that Maxle I linked to above (same specs) would fit or is there something unique about the bontrager version which makes it the only option?

Live Free & Ride
    No problem!

Also found the same Stealth axle at 365 cycles for $23:

https://365cycles.com/index.php/maxl...gth-boost.html

There, fixed it!
    Last edited by NH Mtbiker; 4 Days Ago at 05:26 PM.
    17 Stache 29+
    17 Moto Ti gravel
    14 GT Zaskar 9r
    15 Moto NT fat & 27.5+
    08 BMC Trailfox
    06 C-dale Rush
    99 GT XCR

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Awesome. Thank you. I donít imagine you threw just then axle on a scale did you?

Also, any thoughts if that Maxle I linked to above (same specs) would fit or is there something unique about the bontrager version which makes it the only option?
    I didn't get the weight, but if you want, I can try to get a weight for it tomorrow and if not tomorrow, I'll get it next week as I am flying out of town tomorrow and returning late Monday.

It is pretty darn light tbh. But the unique feature is that you can leave the lever tool in it as it will be held in place quite snugly. Or you can just remove it and use as you go. Its a pretty versatile axle.

Also found the same Stealth axle at 365 cycles for $23:

https://365cycles.com/index.php/maxl...SABEgKC2_D_BwE
    This is not the same one as I quoted. This is a Rockshox Maxle where the one I was referencing was a Bontrager Switch axle which is new to their market and they are actually equipping some of the new bikes with it.

However, that is a great price for that Maxle. But it is the wrong length for the Stache. It would work on a full suspension with the ABP dropout though.

Live Free & Ride
    This is not the same one as I quoted. This is a Rockshox Maxle where the one I was referencing was a Bontrager Switch axle which is new to their market and they are actually equipping some of the new bikes with it.

However, that is a great price for that Maxle. But it is the wrong length for the Stache. It would work on a full suspension with the ABP dropout though.
    Sure about that? I just pulled this stock rear axle off my new 17 Stache frame...its the stock Bontrager axle:

Here are the specs for the 365cycles thru axle I had referenced:
    Item Specifications
    Color Black
    Weight 37
    Thread Pitch 12 x 1.75
    Overall Length (mm) 180
    Thread Length (mm) 20
    Axle Diameter (mm) 12

Edit: Now I see the listing did not match the item specs...
    Here is the correct listing and the correct axle for the Stache:
    https://365cycles.com/index.php/maxl...gth-boost.html

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lets see your Stache official thread-stache-thru-axle.jpg  

17 Stache 29+
    17 Moto Ti gravel
    14 GT Zaskar 9r
    15 Moto NT fat & 27.5+
    08 BMC Trailfox
    06 C-dale Rush
    99 GT XCR

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Sure about that? I just pulled this stock rear axle off my new 17 Stache frame...its the stock Bontrager axle:
    About which, sorry I am not sure what part was in question?

If in regards to the axle I have been talking about, it is not the same as that one.

But if it is in regards to the axle length, the one in the link shows 188mm, which is for the ABP dropouts of a full suspension like a Fuel EX.

Lets see your Stache official thread-capture9.jpg

The Stache has the 180mm which is what I stated earlier. Just want to make sure we're all on the same page here.

So I am sure

EDIT: I just saw your edit after posting this HAHAHA! We're on the same page then

Live Free & Ride

Name:	BSwitch.PNG 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	1224046

Name:	BSwitch2.PNG 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	1224047
    Is that Axle Switch lever a 6mm hex? Looks like it could be a nice addition to the tool kit for those of us using a bolt-thru over the bonty QR supplied. Here's another look at it....small enough to stow away or store in a bag or camelbak!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lets see your Stache official thread-axle-switch-lever.jpg  

17 Stache 29+
    17 Moto Ti gravel
    14 GT Zaskar 9r
    15 Moto NT fat & 27.5+
    08 BMC Trailfox
    06 C-dale Rush
    99 GT XCR

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Is that Axle Switch lever a 6mm hex? Looks like it could be a nice addition to the tool kit for those of us using a bolt-thru over the bonty QR supplied. Here's another look at it....small enough to stow away or store in a bag or camelbak!
    Yup! It's a 6mm hex! Not a bad size at all to stash in a toolkit or camelbak when riding your Stache; lol stash for your Stache...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED View Post
    Gotta say just how much I love my Stache, rode yesterday and today and my ride this morning was the best ride most fun I've had since getting back on a bike this past June. I live in New England ( Massachusetts) and we have definitely got our share of hard core riding spots and no matter what I throw at this bike it just kills it and begs for more..Very happy!!!
    That's great to hear from a fellow New Englander- Im hoping to order a new Stache in a few days. I can get a nice deal on a 2018, or may possible splurge on the 2019 (I prefer the 2019 colors)

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DonH View Post
    That's great to hear from a fellow New Englander- Im hoping to order a new Stache in a few days. I can get a nice deal on a 2018, or may possible splurge on the 2019 (I prefer the 2019 colors)
    Sometimes from pictures I can't tell the difference between the new " blood red" and the all black 18. So I'd go with a deal on the 18 and maybe put money towards nice wheels ( not that I'm really one to give advice) anyway where in NH are you? I ride Fort Rock quite a bit. Good luck with whatever you decide and hit me up anytime for a rip..CF.

WNC Native
    How many people have bought a 120mm Magnum Pro or 120mm Yari/Pike 29+ aftermarket and are happily running them on their Stache? The reason I ask, I just purchased a used 2016 Stache frame to build up and already have a nice fork that is only 8mm longer axle to crown than the 120 Magnum Pro 29+ fork.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Iíve been pleased with the Magnum Pro 120mm cork on my bike

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    140mm fork on carbon Stache? Crazy? Overkill? Or damn near perfect?
    I run a 140 Fox 34 on mine and absolutely love it. It's about the same A-C (<5mm) measurement as the stock Pike, so it doesn't alter the geo much and just gives you a bit more forgiveness up front.

Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 344041424344

Members who have read this thread: 459