Lets see your Stache official thread - Page 25- Mtbr.com
Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152122232425
Results 4,801 to 4,854 of 4854
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by manteufel View Post
    I am 5,10, 31.5 inseam, looking at the stache but wondering what would be a better fit between the 18.5 or 19.5 frame.
    I am looking for a cheap fun bike that I would use only when its muddy and wet (monster truck type of thing), I am looking at the roscoe as well.
    I cannot try the bike, there is no inventory anywhere close where I live.
    Thank you for your help.
    Iím 5í9.5Ē 31Ē with 34Ē shirt length. I have an 18.5Ē. 19.5Ē would be too big for me

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by 2old View Post
    Same height. 19.5 will work.. I rode both. More room on a 19.5. Easy to manual.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    5.10, 31Ē inseam. 19.5 is the way to go. Much comfier geo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by Stihlgoin View Post
    I just finished converting my 2014 Stache 8 to a 1x10 today. I changed the front ring to a OneUp 32T oval, used a Sunrace 11-46 10 sp. cassette and changed the rear derailleur to the M8000 11 sp. to handle the large ring in back. I had already upgraded the shifter to a Saint 10 sp. a couple of years ago.
    Brakes were also upgraded to TRP quadiems a couple years back, too. Overkill, perhaps, but no issues stopping. Rotors increased to 203mm and 180mm with metal pads on the fronts. If you found a good deal on a used set of TRPs, I would jump on them personally.

Minus the Saint shifter, my 1x10 conversion was around $150ish. Brakes will run you a bit no matter what. Bigger rotors and adapters may be the best bang for your buck, at just under $100.
    Hi, thanks for that info.

I'd like to go 1x11 or 1x12 but that rear derailleur you picked would work for 1x11. I had been looking at the 7100 11 speed but if the 8000 is 1x11 it might be possible to find it cheaper....

What are TRP's? I don't know much about brakes....

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by 202cycle View Post
    The NX cassette will work on your rear wheel. You can go to 12 speed.
    Thanks, would I only need to by the Shifter, Cassette and Rear mech?

Actually, I would need front ring too.

mtbr member
    I pulled the trigger on the 2019 Stache 7 last week. It's been a great bike so far.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Enjoy your new stache, love mine....nice photo

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    First MTB and went with this beauty. 2016 Stache 5

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SDRacerr1 View Post
    First MTB and went with this beauty. 2016 Stache 5

You're gonna have fun! Enjoy!
    Change begins by doing something different.

mtbr member
    Apr 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by huckleberry hound View Post
    You're gonna have fun! Enjoy!
    Thanks! pretty excited

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Yeah, superbike!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lets see your Stache official thread-ultimate_hdr_camera_20170129_121422.jpg  

Lets see your Stache official thread-20190630_101202.jpg  

Lets see your Stache official thread-20190630_101220.jpg  

Lets see your Stache official thread-20200424_135813.jpg  

Lets see your Stache official thread-20190630_101242.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    My '13 Stache 7 - Still stock over 6 years later. Upgrades happening soon though!

1x11 conversion
    Dropper Post
    New Brakes
    Convert to tubeless

I was thinking of going full squish but the above will stop that urge for a while (hopefully!)

Lets see your Stache official thread-thestache.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I have IIRC a 2017 Stache 5; it's black with aqua stickers. I'm wondering if it's possible to get a MicroSpline (or maybe XD) freehub body to fit the stock Duroc 50 wheels. The hubs have Boost 148 on them, but no brand name. :-(

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I have the same bike. As far as I can determine, the hub is a Formula DHT 148S. I am wondering about changing the free hub also.
    Only the rim is made by Sun Ringle Duroc . The spokes are by others, and I think the hub is the Formula 148S.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Thanks. A quick search didn't turn up anything, and Formula's website is behaving strangely; there are probably no spares. An SLX or XT hub might be the sensible option, especially if the spokes can be reused. I have plenty of time to rebuild the wheel if necessary.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    If you rebuild the wheel, use new spokes. I replaced the china steel spokes with made in the USA Wheelsmith spokes in my wheels.

mtbr member
    there is an xd driver for that hub or you can run a sunrace 12spd cassette for HG freehub. Sun also lists a micro spline driver for their hubs. not sure if it will fit though
    QBP #: HU0225

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I've got a Sunrace 11-50 12 speed on there now, but would like a lower gear. With a 28T chainring and 10-51 it's win win. QBP doesn't help me - I'm in Oz. However, I can get Shimano bits easily. ;-)

I can't find any sign of Formula hubs being distributed here, but maybe XD bodies might be available through Trek Oz if they used those hubs on other models(?). I might phone them on Monday. (It's likely to be cheaper to get Shimano anyway, given how much XD cassettes cost.)

mtbr member
    Should be able to get the xd thru Trek. I did the reverse on my set up, xd to HG.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Thanks - I'll ask!

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Stihlgoin View Post
    I just finished converting my 2014 Stache 8 to a 1x10 today. I changed the front ring to a OneUp 32T oval, used a Sunrace 11-46 10 sp. cassette and changed the rear derailleur to the M8000 11 sp. to handle the large ring in back. I had already upgraded the shifter to a Saint 10 sp. a couple of years ago.
    Brakes were also upgraded to TRP quadiems a couple years back, too. Overkill, perhaps, but no issues stopping. Rotors increased to 203mm and 180mm with metal pads on the fronts. If you found a good deal on a used set of TRPs, I would jump on them personally.

Minus the Saint shifter, my 1x10 conversion was around $150ish. Brakes will run you a bit no matter what. Bigger rotors and adapters may be the best bang for your buck, at just under $100.
    I just did my 2014 stache also to a 1x10. What did you use to close the holes in the frame where the cables run thru ? Tx

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Black Gorilla tape. A little rubbing alcohol first. Hasnít budged. I was also able to put a OneUp V2 150mm dropper in my 17.5Ē frame without shimming (short legs). Pretty stoked on the bike now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017

New 2.8 tires for the Stache. Iíve done one ride on them and was pretty happy with them. Still dialing in air pressures.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Lets see your Stache official thread-be61d0d4-4bb6-4b01-82a6-3e8885d31978.jpgLets see your Stache official thread-0a1a3d96-e3e7-4638-856f-cd61098d935c.jpg

Not glamour shots as itís raining on and off. So, no long ride until tomorrow. The only things it may get in the future would be an angled headset (maybe) and new wheels and hubs if something breaks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Does anybody have any idea how much seatpost insertion a 19.5 carbon stache has? I'm thinking of going for it but I am also hoping I can get a long dropper in there. I have a 210mm dropper on my full suspension and going back to anything less than 170mm will be difficult.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Anyone running a 140 with 29 plus?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED View Post
    Anyone running a 140 with 29 plus?
    Chelboed is. https://forums.mtbr.com/trek/lets-se...l#post14060542

Community Manager at Trek
    I don't always show off my bikes, but because the Stache is king, here is mine! Hope everyone is having a great week!

Shimano XT is anyone is wondering.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lets see your Stache official thread-20200425_193830.jpg  

Mitchell Mathews | Community Manager | Trek Bicycle Corporation

Instagram | Twitter

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I don't always show off my bikes, but because the Stache is king, here is mine! Hope everyone is having a great week!

Shimano XT is anyone is wondering.

no kinkylinky Mitch.

The pictures not working.

Community Manager at Trek
    Quote Originally Posted by driver bob View Post
    no kinkylinky Mitch.

The pictures not working.
    MTBR is buggin' out for me. It's showing it lol
    Mitchell Mathews | Community Manager | Trek Bicycle Corporation

Instagram | Twitter

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thank you but only one person? And thoughts on good idea or bad? I love this bike but thought a bit more up front would be nice. Iím waiting till October to see new 2021 stuff ( Trek Fuel EX mostly)

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowtalker View Post

New 2.8 tires for the Stache. Iíve done one ride on them and was pretty happy with them. Still dialing in air pressures.

Beautiful bike!! Are those the Teravail Coronado's? Ive been contemplating those or even the 2.6 Honcho or Kessel for my Stache.. Any feedback on how do they ride?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    This thread just seems to have died recently.

Lots of posts on Facebook that the entire stache line is gone for 2021, guess we'll see. Would be a shame, this is the most fun bike I've ever owned and takes an absolute beating with ease

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Maybe everything is gone for 2021; there are all sorts of manufacturing and delivery problems at the moment, and for the foreseeable future. Could be some rationalisation for a while too, and if so I'm sure Trek probably makes more on ebikes for socially distanced commuting...

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    How many miles do people get out of the xr2 tires roughly?

I'm still rocking the xr2 front and rear, they work well for most of the trails i ride, when its dry. I love how fast they feel, but have been thinking about adding something with a little more tread for the front. Last week i was riding with my buddy on the same bike, and i felt like my front end was washing out, but he wasn't have any issue. This was happening where it was loose over hard terrain. I think i had around 11 or 12 psi in the front. I'm sure user error or something, but I have been eyeing up the xr4. I wonder if it will feel a lot slower compared to what i'm used to?
    2019 Trek Farley 9.6
    2018 Trek Stache7
    2017 Hightower S+
    2016 Superfly 9.6

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I have the 2019 with XR2's and after nearly 400 miles of mostly flow trails and maybe 1 road ride a week, I can't really tell I've worn them down one bit. But I am also barely 150 lbs wet and like to unweight the bike at every opportunity. As far as slipping around, I do notice it when I'm tired and can't stand and shift my body all over the place constantly. My biggest gripe with the 3.0 tires is that they deflect more under rocks, ie. if my tire rolls over a loose rock in a corner, the tire sometimes rolls the rock under it and the entire wheel suddenly moves a full tire width to the side or violently ejects it outward with a loud pop. I run about the same PSI as you do at my weight (~145 lbs, 11-12 F/R).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gendy View Post

I'm still rocking the xr2 front and rear, they work well for most of the trails i ride, when its dry. I love how fast they feel, but have been thinking about adding something with a little more tread for the front. Last week i was riding with my buddy on the same bike, and i felt like my front end was washing out, but he wasn't have any issue. This was happening where it was loose over hard terrain. I think i had around 11 or 12 psi in the front. I'm sure user error or something, but I have been eyeing up the xr4. I wonder if it will feel a lot slower compared to what i'm used to?
    I have 1500 miles on my rear XR2 and it has just now worn down through the siping on the center knobs. I weigh about 265 with a heavy 3L hydration pack. I've been running an XR4 on the front now for about 2100 miles. It rolls great and definitely sticks well in the turns.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Gendy View Post

Most stache owners I know have changed tires just to try something new, not because they're worn out

I put an Xr4 up front and can't believe how much grip I gained, don't notice it harder to pedal either and set a few back to back PRs on a really twisty course after I got them

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Considering pulling the trigger on a used stache. What makes you prefer the stache to other bikes?

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    29x3.0 and short chain stays makes the Stache a very playful hardtail with tons of grip and float. Also, the stranglehold dropouts in the back make it a no-Brainer for single speed setup, if thatís your thing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Why Stache? Very fun and capable. No rear suspension means lighter and less maintenance, and with 29x3.0" tyres is still pretty comfortable seated. When things get really rough you're going to be standing anyway, suspension or no suspension, so no big difference there unless you're going to be doing massive jumps all the time.

Re tyres: Sounds like I ought to try an XR4 on the front; the second XR2 will always come in handy later.

Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by phalkon30 View Post
    This thread just seems to have died recently.

Lots of posts on Facebook that the entire stache line is gone for 2021, guess we'll see. Would be a shame, this is the most fun bike I've ever owned and takes an absolute beating with ease

I came here to say the same thing and I'm crossing fingers the Facebook rumours aren't true.

However, in my 4 years of owning the Stache I haven't seen any others out in the wild! Not a single one. A shop in Melbourne was recently selling the 2019 9.7 brand new (all sizes) for AU$3000 or US$2000, and they still took a while to get rid of them. Crazy times for sure.

I do think that Australians are pretty narrow-minded when it comes to anything out of the norm though.
    2019 Stache 9.7
    ̶2̶0̶1̶6̶ ̶S̶t̶a̶c̶h̶e̶ ̶7̶

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bataleon View Post
    I came here to say the same thing and I'm crossing fingers the Facebook rumours aren't true.

However, in my 4 years of owning the Stache I haven't seen any others out in the wild! Not a single one. A shop in Melbourne was recently selling the 2019 9.7 brand new (all sizes) for AU$3000 or US$2000, and they still took a while to get rid of them. Crazy times for sure.

I do think that Australians are pretty narrow-minded when it comes to anything out of the norm though.
    Out of a typical 15 person group ride we have 3 to 5 stache that show up regularly. Granted I do live basically in treks backyard so it's almost all Trek bikes but...

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    When I bought mine in Sydney a few years ago it was allegedly the last one available in Oz, with no plans to bring any more in. I haven't seen another Stache while out riding (or any carbon ones) but my guess is that only a few ever made it here. I also have a carbon FS bike (bought on special in a moment of weakness), but think the Stache is both more fun and more practical.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebisnutt View Post
    Considering pulling the trigger on a used stache. What makes you prefer the stache to other bikes?
    It's far cheaper and more reliable than a F/S bike and 90% as capable. That's why many people bought them. There's also something that's just fun about the bike.
    Strengths are cornering traction and rollover. Uphill traction is good, but not as good as I thought it would be. Weaknesses are similar to most hard tails - speed and drops. Oh, don't hit a wet spot too fast with the generally excellent XR2s.

The one PITA - plus tires are very sensitive to pressure and you should really check and adjust before each ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    You guys all convinced me......only for the bike to be bought out from under me.

That is to say, if anyone is trying to sell an XL Stache please do not hesitate to reach out to me

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Any one interested in an almost new 2016 stache 5 19.5". The 5 came with a carbon rigid fork the first year. Completely stock except swapped to a lighter bontrager RL stem, ti saddle, red RL water bottle cage, and a riser bar. Bought the bike with the intention to get out and ride more, but honestly I've spent my free time on my motorcycle. Link to picture below.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vcPis9Eab3AXUbm27

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Does anyone know if the 29x3.0 XR4 tyres are still being produced? They no longer appear on Trek's website. If they're not, any alternative suggestions? Thanks...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by satanas View Post
    Does anyone know if the 29x3.0 XR4 tyres are still being produced? They no longer appear on Trek's website. If they're not, any alternative suggestions? Thanks...
    They are still listed but they are out of stock. It says they are coming soon and are available for pre-order. https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...olorCode=black

If you need a tire now then the SE4 is available which is the same tire but with a heavier casing. https://www.trekbicyclesuperstore.co...h-319114-1.htm

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Thanks! I was looking at the local (AU) Trek site and they didn't appear there at all. :-(

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by goldsbar View Post
    It's far cheaper and more reliable than a F/S bike and 90% as capable. That's why many people bought them. There's also something that's just fun about the bike.
    Strengths are cornering traction and rollover. Uphill traction is good, but not as good as I thought it would be. Weaknesses are similar to most hard tails - speed and drops. Oh, don't hit a wet spot too fast with the generally excellent XR2s.

The one PITA - plus tires are very sensitive to pressure and you should really check and adjust before each ride.
    PITA #2- Tires are now hard to find and expensive as heck.

I have a 2018 Stache 7. Iím on my 2nd set of XR2s and then because of side wall cuts, a 3rd replacement in the rear with an older batch xr2 that still says Chupacabra. Sidewall slashed again, fixable with a patch and then a pinch flat, now fixed with a plug. AZ terrain is not kind to the Chupras or XRs.

Iím on borrowed time for sure.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Lets see your Stache official thread

Quote Originally Posted by huckleberry hound View Post
    They are still listed but they are out of stock. It says they are coming soon and are available for pre-order. https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...olorCode=black

If you need a tire now then the SE4 is available which is the same tire but with a heavier casing. https://www.trekbicyclesuperstore.co...h-319114-1.htm
    Holy Moly this xr4 better change my life. Just went into LBS and grabbed one yesterday. Still canít believe I paid $100 for one tire but Iím desperate as leaving for a road trip and better to have one on hand then having to figure it out in a small town later.

*deep breathes- Taking into account the supply chain disruptions and the general state of businesses all around, I guess I canít complain and is generally grateful LBS are still in business and 3.0 tires has not completely sold out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I thought 3.0 tires were bad, then I bought a fat bike!

It's crazy they cost more than what I put on my Honda that hauls these

mtbr member
    I wish Specialized made a 29x3.0 tire. They make good quality tires for $60.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Slyham View Post
    I wish Specialized made a 29x3.0 tire. They make good quality tires for $60.

If they do probably will be in the $80 range. Moí rubber, Moí$$?

Gotta pay to play.

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152122232425

Members who have read this thread: 227