Lets see your Stache official thread - Page 24- Mtbr.com
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324
Results 4,601 to 4,697 of 4697
    mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Shimano slx...I can't remember how it works. Do you push both triggers? Or pull with your pointer to shift to a higher gear?
    2018 Trek Stache7
    2017 Hightower S+

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gendy View Post
    Shimano slx...I can't remember how it works. Do you push both triggers? Or pull with your pointer to shift to a higher gear?
    The answer is, Yes. You can do either. For me though I always say thumbs are for shifting and fingers are for braking.
    Change begins by doing something different.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by huckleberry hound View Post
    The answer is, Yes. You can do either. For me though I always say thumbs are for shifting and fingers are for braking.
    Thanks...thats what i was thinking. I guess i gotta dissassemble the trigger to see why it only works one way :/
    2018 Trek Stache7
    2017 Hightower S+

mtbr member
    Make sure that it is not hitting your grip if you are trying to shift by pulling the trigger. If it is hitting it then it won't shift and you will need to move the shifter over from the grip.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by phalkon30 View Post
    So I'm not super in love with the Pike on my 2018 9.7, looking for some advice. It's had a small oil leak from the lower rebound since day one (it's always "wet"), and on small root drops on corners I feel like I struggle to keep the wheel on the ground. It's probably mainly poor setup on my part, but I've also never serviced it so I'll do that and start over.

1. Does the 2018 have the Debonair air spring? Trek website doesn't say so, an owner in this thread says yes
    2. If I can upgrade to the Debonair, am I crazy to try this on my own? I'm comfortable working on brakes and BB's and stuff, never touched an air fork though
    3. I'll buy oil/grease to service the lower, do I really need the full rebuild kit as well? Looking at this one, not sure when I would need it: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B013FIV1H4/

Thanks in advance for any advice..
    Following up on my own post (I went for it)
    1. The 2018 is listed as having debonair on the fork, but the internals are not actually the debonair spring (see picture, red is debonair upgrade). Haven't ridden it yet, but it's a significant change
    2. This was a really easy upgrade, only special tools I bought were syringes for shock fluid, sram butter, shock oil, and retaining ring pliers. Sram has great videos
    3. I did not need a seal kit, mine all looked good. From what I can tell the 200hour rebuild would use the full rebuild kit. Only thing I may change next time are the foam wipers, although mine looked really good still.

Overall I'll see if it helped my riding once trails dry out, but I'm glad I did the 50 hour service and air spring. If nothing else for $50 in supplies I learned a lot about my fork and hopefully stopped the damper leak

Bled the brakes and unstuck one of the rear pistons while I had it down, couldn't believe the air that came out after only 1.5 years of riding! Stopping power feels great again, hoping that lasts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frs1661 View Post
    Is anyone running an inexpensive frame bag on their Stache? I want to try one but donít want to spring for the $150 revelate ranger bag without knowing if IĎll like it. I have a 19.5Ē alloy frame, which would for the small ranger nicely.
    Contact rogue panda , get a custom made bag. Will fit much better and be a better price.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    hi
    i will upgrade original crank from my stache 9.6
    Can i install this: SRAM XX1 GXP 175mm q-factor 156?
    If not what I need to look at? what kind of q-factor or bb standards?

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Make sure that it is not hitting your grip if you are trying to shift by pulling the trigger. If it is hitting it then it won't shift and you will need to move the shifter over from the grip.
    it was totally hitting my brake assembly, after swapping on some taller bars. DOH! thanks for the idea!
    2018 Trek Stache7
    2017 Hightower S+

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Hi Guys.
    I just got a Stache 7 2018 and I want to change the crankset for a SRAM XX1 EAGLE B148 GXP175 168. Do you guys know if it is compatible and what bottom bracket should I get? Thanks!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmolina View Post
    Hi Guys.
    I just got a Stache 7 2018 and I want to change the crankset for a SRAM XX1 EAGLE B148 GXP175 168. Do you guys know if it is compatible and what bottom bracket should I get? Thanks!!!
    I scored a set of XX1 crankset (non-eagle) used to replace the OEM RaceFace on the Stache- bought this BB from Jenson and installed no problem;
    SRAM/Truvativ GXP BB92 Bottom Bracket
    $36.99

Not sure if compatible with the new Eagle/ Dub stuff. Canít keep up with these new standards I tell ya.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Thanks for the reply!
    And how do you like it?
    Any difference with the Original?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmolina View Post
    Thanks for the reply!
    And how do you like it?
    Any difference with the Original?
    I canít say thereís a huge difference. At least not what these amateur feet of mine can feel. The weight savings are minuscule but hey every little bit adds up right? I just couldnít say no to XX1 cranks for $130.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    You have q factor 168 or 156? whether they fit both?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytm1 View Post
    You have q factor 168 or 156? whether they fit both?
    168. Stache frames are built around normal Q factors.

mtbr member
    So I'm not super in love with the Pike on my 2018 9.7, looking for some advice. It's had a small oil leak from the lower rebound since day one (it's always "wet"), and on small root drops on corners I feel like I struggle to keep the wheel on the ground. It's probably mainly poor setup on my part, but I've also never serviced it so I'll do that and start over.

1. Does the 2018 have the Debonair air spring? Trek website doesn't say so, an owner in this thread says yes
    2. If I can upgrade to the Debonair, am I crazy to try this on my own? I'm comfortable working on brakes and BB's and stuff, never touched an air fork though
    3. I'll buy oil/grease to service the lower, do I really need the full rebuild kit as well? Looking at this one, not sure when I would need it: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B013FIV1H4/

Thanks in advance for any advice..
    My 2018 29+ Pike did not come with the debonair spring but I understand most other 2018 models did. My pike was was very harsh. I now have a 2019 Lyrik and it is oh so plush.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Gonna have to recant a couple of things regarding my Stache.

1. Flex: looking down at my rear wheel while I'm in a higher gear and pushing on my pedals really hard...I can see my rear wheel move laterally at least 5-7mm. Chainstay flex!

2. Press fit BB noise: I've been annoyed with a tiny ticky noise lately. I began with removing, cleaning, and greasing the dropouts. Nope. Seatpost and saddle rails next. Nope. Headset, steerer tube, stem, bars next. Nope. Front wheel interface with fork drops. Nope. Cassette freehub interface and rear wheel to dropout interface. Nope. Crankset, chainring. Nope.

Got a threaded Wheels mfgr bottom bracket on the way now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by noosa2 View Post
    My 2018 29+ Pike did not come with the debonair spring but I understand most other 2018 models did. My pike was was very harsh. I now have a 2019 Lyrik and it is oh so plush.
    Gotta say the fork is much nicer after adding 10 psi, servicing lower, and upgrading to the debonair. Much more control able on chunky downhills, and plush hitting rocks uphill.

Chelboed, you have the carbon frame? I'm a tall Clyde, can usually flex bottom brackets but never noticed it on my 9.7, will have to watch. I chased a tick for a while but can't for the life of me think of what it was. I thought it was a creaky bb but was able to clean something on the frame that made it go away. Never ended up pulling the bb, but it's gone now

mtbr member
    I had a creak in my Farley 7 that I thought was the bb. It ended up being a cracked nut on the stranglehold drop out. After that got fixed it was good for a while then a new one developed. It went away when I switched pedals.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Aluminum is like an amplifier for unwanted noises, hehehe

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Gotta say the fork is much nicer after adding 10 psi, servicing lower, and upgrading to the debonair. Much more control able on chunky downhills, and plush hitting rocks uphill.

Chelboed, you have the carbon frame? I'm a tall Clyde, can usually flex bottom brackets but never noticed it on my 9.7, will have to watch. I chased a tick for a while but can't for the life of me think of what it was. I thought it was a creaky bb but was able to clean something on the frame that made it go away. Never ended up pulling the bb, but it's gone now
    Aluminum XL frame. I notice the flex most when I'm in a higher gear and pedaling hard.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Thinking of selling

I really enjoy this bike but want to go back to a steel single speed so I think I will be selling it soon. Would love to keep it but cant swing having two bikes. Switched the wheels out recently to Raceface Arc 40's and put on newish Chupas.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lets see your Stache official thread-img_7138.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed View Post
    Gonna have to recant a couple of things regarding my Stache.

1. Flex: looking down at my rear wheel while I'm in a higher gear and pushing on my pedals really hard...I can see my rear wheel move laterally at least 5-7mm. Chainstay flex!

2. Press fit BB noise: I've been annoyed with a tiny ticky noise lately. I began with removing, cleaning, and greasing the dropouts. Nope. Seatpost and saddle rails next. Nope. Headset, steerer tube, stem, bars next. Nope. Front wheel interface with fork drops. Nope. Cassette freehub interface and rear wheel to dropout interface. Nope. Crankset, chainring. Nope.

Got a threaded Wheels mfgr bottom bracket on the way now.
    Other things to check are chainring bolts and if you use clipless pedals worn cleats or also just the pedals themselves(flat or clipless). I had a pedal that was ticking and I thought it was the bearings but it turned out to be the cleat instead back when I used spds.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Yah. Been down this road a time or 10. Chainring bolts cleaned and lubed. New cleats on new shoes.

It's the BB.

I've essentially rebuilt the entire bike. Good for it and therapeutic for me.

My BB will be here next week.

mtbr member
    I had a hardtail that you would have sworn the bb was creaking , so I finally took it to the bike shop....took the mechanic about 30 min to figure out that the rear skewer was not tight enough. He greased it up and got it tight...The bike never made another whimper the last few years I had it.. Man , I felt like a dumbass.
    Boost 500 - can't wait... : /

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I had the press fit bb on my 2019 Stache 7 making noise. This is amongst other issues I was having. Turns out it was the bottom bracket shell and was not to spec. The shell was too large for the bottom bracket and the bottom bracket did not press in. It just rotated freely in the shell. I warrantied the frame. Sometimes the noise does come from the BB.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I can press my driveside bb cup in hard with my bare hands. NonDriveSide requires my bearing press.

mtbr member
    I've seen several folks running 140mm travel forks on their stache. Anyone running anything longer?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I'm on 140mm and feel like longer would be wonky handling. My 0.02

mtbr member
    I'm on 140mm and feel like longer would be wonky handling. My 0.02
    Thanks

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by noosa2 View Post
    I've seen several folks running 140mm travel forks on their stache. Anyone running anything longer?
    I had a 150mm Stage 29 on mine for the first bit and it rode nicely with it. Keep in mind though that a 150mm Stage and 120mm Magnum Pro 29+ fork, have only 3mm difference in axle to crown length.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    True. My 140 is a Yari which is a Lyrik with a MoCo damper. Should probably check axle to crown instead of travel. Good call.

mtbr member
    Full ĎComfortí Stache

Lets see your Stache official thread-04a56bf6-8cbe-4bd3-badd-145a025e1b8f.jpg

Lets see your Stache official thread-14d92253-0f45-4fae-bb17-64786ad2cc03.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lets see your Stache official thread-2be65a9b-41ac-4eca-97c3-6eb666131225.jpg  

Last edited by Heist30; 04-22-2019 at 06:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    What is the story with the 2019 Stache 9.7? A couple of days ago Trek listed all sizes available on their site and today only bike on the site available now is the large. Curious that they sold that many bikes in a few days. Seems highly unusual. Is there something else going on? Perhaps the Trek Rep who haunts MTBR can tell us what is going on? I was about the pull the trigger on an XL.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beastmaster View Post
    What is the story with the 2019 Stache 9.7? A couple of days ago Trek listed all sizes available on their site and today only bike on the site available now is the large. Curious that they sold that many bikes in a few days. Seems highly unusual. Is there something else going on? Perhaps the Trek Rep who haunts MTBR can tell us what is going on? I was about the pull the trigger on an XL.
    Trek still shows the 9.7 frame in stock in size XL. Trek Fest just ended so they very well could have sold out of the other sizes. They are only showing the Stache 7 in size XL in stock, all other sizes are sold out. Only size M is available for the Stache 5.
    You might want to go to your dealer and have them check to see if any other stores may have one in stock. For instance Richardson Bike Mart still has a 2018 Stache 9.7 in size XL in stock for $3199.00 https://www.bikemart.com/product/tre...7-311814-1.htm

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    When does Trek normally announce the new models? (Actually looking for a Farley, but their XLs have been sold out)

mtbr member
    When does Trek normally announce the new models? (Actually looking for a Farley, but their XLs have been sold out)
    Usually around late August. That's when my riding buddy picked up his 2019 Stache 7 last year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    I had a 150mm Stage 29 on mine for the first bit and it rode nicely with it. Keep in mind though that a 150mm Stage and 120mm Magnum Pro 29+ fork, have only 3mm difference in axle to crown length.
    Thanks, I was not thinking of A2C at all but I will pay more attention to it.

WNC Native
    FYI-
    Magnum Pro 110 Stock on 2016-2017 is 535mm
    RS Pike and Yari 120 29+ are 543mm
    Magnum/Mattoc Pro 120 29+ is 555mm
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Trek still shows the 9.7 frame in stock in size XL. Trek Fest just ended so they very well could have sold out of the other sizes. They are only showing the Stache 7 in size XL in stock, all other sizes are sold out. Only size M is available for the Stache 5.
    You might want to go to your dealer and have them check to see if any other stores may have one in stock. For instance Richardson Bike Mart still has a 2018 Stache 9.7 in size XL in stock for $3199.00 https://www.bikemart.com/product/tre...7-311814-1.htm
    When I go to the Trek site it doesn't show the XL 9.7 as being available. I did find the Richardson Bike Mart 2018 9.7 Stache in XL. Not sure if RBM are able to sell bikes via the internet and ship them because of agreements with Trek. It's probably worth a call to find out. Thank you!

mtbr member
    I should have made it clear that Trek has the frame only 9.7 in stock. You might see if RBM can ship the bike to your LBS.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I should have made it clear that Trek has the frame only 9.7 in stock. You might see if RBM can ship the bike to your LBS.
    Trek was (and might still be) having difficulties with their inventory tracking system. They have the XL in the 9.7. (BTW, the carbon frame only is simply called Stache Carbon on the top tube--no numbers.)

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by beastmaster View Post
    Trek was (and might still be) having difficulties with their inventory tracking system. They have the XL in the 9.7. (BTW, the carbon frame only is simply called Stache Carbon on the top tube--no numbers.)
    Is that new? My 2018 says 9.7 on the top tube

I thought I was finally figuring out treks naming scheme...

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by johnD View Post
    I had a hardtail that you would have sworn the bb was creaking , so I finally took it to the bike shop....took the mechanic about 30 min to figure out that the rear skewer was not tight enough. He greased it up and got it tight...The bike never made another whimper the last few years I had it.. Man , I felt like a dumbass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Randpost View Post
    I had the press fit bb on my 2019 Stache 7 making noise. This is amongst other issues I was having. Turns out it was the bottom bracket shell and was not to spec. The shell was too large for the bottom bracket and the bottom bracket did not press in. It just rotated freely in the shell. I warrantied the frame. Sometimes the noise does come from the BB.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    I can press my driveside bb cup in hard with my bare hands. NonDriveSide requires my bearing press.
    I finally got my Wheels MFGR thread together bottom bracket. Finally a quiet ride. The bottom bracket was definitely the culprit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Is that new? My 2018 says 9.7 on the top tube

I thought I was finally figuring out treks naming scheme...
    The frame-only option for a carbon Stache (Stache C Frameset) has a label on the top tube that reads "Stache Carbon." No numbers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I decided to wrap my Stache in left over Matte black vinyl I used for the trim of my car. Matte Black for the Stache and Matte white for the car.

Lets see your Stache official thread-img_20190427_125053.jpg

Lets see your Stache official thread-img_20190427_125043.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2018

stache 7

My 2019 Trek stache 7 has reached its final form.

Handles a former bodybuilder 250 lbs no problem now after upgrades

NOX kitsuma wheels enduro layup. CK hubs
    magura mt7 , 203mm rotors
    mix of gx - xx1

Love this bike, handles anything. Nothing left to upgrade that will make a difference
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lets see your Stache official thread-55875560_2814191905259486_9133911875283582976_o.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Randpost View Post
    I decided to wrap my Stache in left over Matte black vinyl I used for the trim of my car. Matte Black for the Stache and Matte white for the car.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190427_125053.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	192.9 KB 
ID:	1249004

Name:	IMG_20190427_125043.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	118.7 KB 
ID:	1249005
    Wow! Nice job on the car, two thumbs up from me. I've semi-wrapped my mt and road bikes, bottom and side surfaces but would love to do my truck like that, please don't tell me that's your first one, looks too good.
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

mtbr member
    Oops, forgot mine.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Trying to post pics without luck.

I have a 2016 Stache 7 with some much needed mods being:
    Minion DHR front, DHF on the rear
    XT groupset
    50mm stem and 800 mm bars
    Koryak dropper

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Lets see your Stache official thread-img_0681.jpgLets see your Stache official thread-img_0684.jpgLets see your Stache official thread-img_0679.jpg

mtbr member
    Stache Gravel Cruzier

Lets see your Stache official thread-aa89a84b-dcdf-4b25-a93f-eab64047e740.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Heist30 View Post
    Stache Gravel Cruzier

Name:	AA89A84B-DCDF-4B25-A93F-EAB64047E740.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	320.7 KB 
ID:	1250939
    You need to leave now

Formerly of Kent
    My eyes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Stache Gravel Cruzier

You need to leave now
    If he had done that to a 29+ Stache he would need to be hanged, drawn and quartered.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    With a rigid fork, dirt drops, and 2" tires... Nobody would suspect a thing.

Live Free & Ride
    New 17 Stache finally built and was able to get it out today! Such an amazing ride and was able to set some new PR's without even trying on this thing! So agile and capable and can carry speed unlike anything I've ever ridden!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lets see your Stache official thread-2019-05-11-14.16.54.jpg  

Lets see your Stache official thread-2019-05-10-19.00.50.jpg  

Lets see your Stache official thread-2019-05-10-18.08.18.jpg  

17 Stache 29+
    17 Moto Ti gravel - sold
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r
    15 Moto NT fat & 27.5+

https://kettleheadbrewing.com/

mtbr member
    Stache Gravel Cruzier

Shaved stache

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Mtbiker View Post
    New 17 Stache finally built and was able to get it out today! Such an amazing ride and was able to set some new PR's without even trying on this thing! So agile and capable and can carry speed unlike anything I've ever ridden!
    It's about time you got that thing together. It looks great! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine.

mtbr member
    Back to reality... Stache AM

Lets see your Stache official thread-7016facb-c0f1-43ac-8f45-06cd374a1a84.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Mtbiker View Post
    Yep that sounds about right. Beautiful bike btw, congrats and enjoy!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Back to reality... Stache AM

Name:	7016FACB-C0F1-43AC-8F45-06CD374A1A84.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	286.3 KB 
ID:	1251052
    I approve of this message

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    How did you lower the right chainstay ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2016

Smile

This is an old Stache, 2015 or earlier

mtbr member
    Yup, these were regular 29rs. Thatís a 2.4 DHRII on the rear and it has just enough clearance.

Live Free & Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED View Post
    Yep that sounds about right. Beautiful bike btw, congrats and enjoy!!!
    Thanks! Really took my time getting all the parts I wanted and spent extra on the wheel build...as its an important aspect of this bike!

Anyone on the thread riding their Stache in NH or southern Maine...Mt Aggy or Fort Rock area? Is so, PM me and we can try to meet up for a Stache ride!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lets see your Stache official thread-2019-05-11-19.22.45.jpg  

17 Stache 29+
    17 Moto Ti gravel - sold
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r
    15 Moto NT fat & 27.5+

https://kettleheadbrewing.com/

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaFACE View Post
    Anybody switched to a 130 fork with 2.6 tires? hows the BB height?
    Getting ready to give it a go figured why not, been favoring the full suspension over 3.0 heavy tires for moment, but still like to hammer hard on the HT on occasion so why not, I have 2016 frame and when I started comparing it to other frames with 2.6 capability like the Santa Cruz Chameleon looking at geo number nothing looked too different including BB bracket height that stood out as don't give this ago, additionally I have seen FB posts where a lot fo riders moved to 2,6 and jsut really enjoy it. I did decide I needed something narrower than 41mm internal wheels so waiting for a new 30mm internal before I go . I suspect it will be a pretty fun (all bikes are) but also very versatile bike.

I have the 120mm 29+ Pike but also have a Fox 34 130mm sittign around so will probably try both. If this works out might just ditch the Pike and Line Pro 40s.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Summer season started with Stache 7:

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    So bummed, 3rd ride ruined due to a broken spoke on the stock durocs. I also wonder if the rim is cracked around one or two nipples? Planned on upgrading to carbon this year, but haven't finished researching yet

Lets see your Stache official thread-img_20190527_113235.jpg
    2018 Trek Stache7
    2017 Hightower S+

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    So bummed, 3rd ride ruined due to a broken spoke on the stock durocs. I also wonder if the rim is cracked around one or two nipples? Planned on upgrading to carbon this year, but haven't finished researching yet

I bent the rear stock wheel on the first ride, definitely not the best wheels.

Bought NOX composites Kitsuma wheels CK hubs after tons of research, very good value and quality/warranty/crash replacement. over 1000 miles on them now and some nasty hits to the back wheel and still true and every spoke as tight as day 1.

36mm ID wheels work perfect with the 3" tires, actually like the profile more than with the 50mm stock wheels

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Trek built my Stache 5 with Sunringle rims laced with made in China steel spokes. After my third broken spoke I replaced the spokes with made in America steel Wheelsmith spokes. So far no more broken spokes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by vicbog View Post
    I bent the rear stock wheel on the first ride, definitely not the best wheels.

Bought NOX composites Kitsuma wheels CK hubs after tons of research, very good value and quality/warranty/crash replacement. over 1000 miles on them now and some nasty hits to the back wheel and still true and every spoke as tight as day 1.

36mm ID wheels work perfect with the 3" tires, actually like the profile more than with the 50mm stock wheels
    Any idea on how much they weigh? They dont seem to have the weights for that wheelset up

Can you elaborate on liking the profile more? I havent played around with different wheelsets/widths before. Not knowing any better, i've been pleased with the stock setup, i'm not sure on what to expect with such a 'drastic' change in rim width.

Thank you!
    2018 Trek Stache7
    2017 Hightower S+

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Not sure on the weight but they did feel lighter than the stock wheels. Rim is listed at 490gm. Anyone that pickups the bike always comments how light it is, I did also swap the drive train to GX and up

The tire looks about 5% smaller on the 36mm rim and a little more round which should help with corner grip etc. it is not a huge difference but I prefer the slightly smaller/rounder profile.

The full stache comes with 40mm ID rims and after I saw that I figured the 36ID would work no problem

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    This is a pretty old topic actually. I believe we came to the consensus that the stock wheelset is around 2600g.

Duroc 50 rims I.D. is 46mm.

Best overall profile for 29x3 was voted 40mm I.D.

I'm running ARC40 rims (40mm I.D.) and love the profile. 36mm IMO is too narrow for aggressive cornering but will work for casually trail riding, no doubt. Strokes/folks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Looks like the full stache's 40mm durocs are 36mm I.D.. I'm happy with the 36mm ID.
    Hard to find 29" carbon wheels that are over 36mm ID. i really wanted the SC reserve wheels but they only go up to 31mm ID for the 29"

mtbr member
    Jul 2018

36mm

Here are some pics comparing the stock wheels to 36mm ID, not a huge difference but the 36mm is a bit smaller/rounder in person. I prefer the 36mm to the stock
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lets see your Stache official thread-20190528_104358.jpg  

Lets see your Stache official thread-20190528_104521.jpg  

Lets see your Stache official thread-20190528_085157.jpg  

mtbr member
    This is a pretty old topic actually. I believe we came to the consensus that the stock wheelset is around 2600g.

Duroc 50 rims I.D. is 46mm.

Best overall profile for 29x3 was voted 40mm I.D.

I'm running ARC40 rims (40mm I.D.) and love the profile. 36mm IMO is too narrow for aggressive cornering but will work for casually trail riding, no doubt. Strokes/folks.
    Chelboed, who built your wheels w/ Arc40's and Hope hubs? i can't seem to find your post where you mentioned this.

Thx!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Speedgearbikeshop

Wayne is good at what he does. I took a chance and don't regret it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frs1661 View Post
    Is anyone running an inexpensive frame bag on their Stache? I want to try one but donít want to spring for the $150 revelate ranger bag without knowing if IĎll like it. I have a 19.5Ē alloy frame, which would for the small ranger nicely.

Running a MooseTreks frame bag on my Surly ECR and have no complaints; one large or two smaller pocket convertible.
    Banshee Paradox V3 (frame arrived - beautiful!)
    eSurly ECR 5spd IGH (BBS02B)
    Soma B-Side BD 3spd IGH

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DinoRidge View Post
    Pantone Cool Grey 10 for the new frame.
    What front fork is that? A2C & Offset?

Looking for 29+ rigid fork options, preferably with long A2C. Any Stache rigid fans have a comprehensive list of 29+ carbon forks used on the Stache? Thx
    Soma B-Side BD 3spd IGH

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiptastic View Post
    What front fork is that? A2C & Offset?

Looking for 29+ rigid fork options, preferably with long A2C. Any Stache rigid fans have a comprehensive list of 29+ carbon forks used on the Stache? Thx
    That appears to be the trek 1120 fork, painted to match the frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Lets see your Stache official thread

He posted that itís a Niner fork in another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by DinoRidge View Post
    I built it up. Fork is a Niner, though sometimes I'll put a Pike on it. Rear tire right now is a Mezcal 2.6, which makes a fantastic combo with the 3.0 Chupa up front.
    Last edited by rx4mtb; 06-09-2019 at 07:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Anyone have spec's or a link to the 1120 fork on a Trek site?
    Soma B-Side BD 3spd IGH

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    They don't list them on the trek site but any dealer can get one. Most details are here: https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/frame...ng-fork-p20815

The weight is not listed. Given its length and the Al steerer, it's probably ~800g.
    Stache 7 --- Rigid Surly 1x1 B+ --- Dirt Drop CrossCheck

mtbr member
    That confirms the 510mm A2C number being thrown around, but I didnít see an offset listed. IIRC 51mm has been thrown around on that spec. Itíd be nice to confirm that too.

Are there. Any other carbon forks out there with 510mm A2C or longer?

The longest 29+ China special Iíve found is 500mm A2C with 51mm offset, but no rack or triple bolt mounts like this nice fork; although lighter with itsí carbon steerer.
    Soma B-Side BD 3spd IGH

mtbr member
    TREK 1120 has G2-Geometry. G2 means 51mm offset.

mtbr member
    I bought a 2019 Stache. Medium.
    It has two rides. Two. No crashes. No scratches. Pretty much perfect.
    Iím considering moving most parts onto a Kona Honzo.

Anybody interested in the Stache frame? Donít know what a slightly used carbon Stache might sell for but can look into it if someone out there needs such a frame.

-JCBs
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Chicken Bones View Post
    I bought a 2019 Stache. Medium.
    It has two rides. Two. No crashes. No scratches. Pretty much perfect.
    Iím considering moving most parts onto a Kona Honzo.

Anybody interested in the Stache frame? Donít know what a slightly used carbon Stache might sell for but can look into it if someone out there needs such a frame.

-JCBs
    Why you switching to a Honzo? I mean definitely a great bike ( especially steel) but just curious.

mtbr member
    I have reasons but they arenít great ones.
    Iím not a huge fan of carbon. Itís an amazing material but takes way more energy to create and most of it will be here until our sun goes super nova. There are ways to sort of recycle it, but thatís not free of energy expenditure either.
    Thatís an odd complaint from me, not like China coughing out another steel frame is green. Not like stuffing it in my van to drive somewhere to pedal is only wind energy. Not like my Ti frames were light on the planet.
    Also- carbon has this feeling to me of being a bike Iíll have for a season or three. Not long term.

2nd- Despite being told to get the large, I went medium. I think itís a bit small to me. Rides great, no knee pain, but feels like a 2hr bike, not an all day bike. Cockpit feels small.

Other little issues but to riders that arenít in the Stone Age, those isssues would sound like ďBlah blah Blah....Ē.

-JCBs
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    May 2017

Just posted my carbon Stache 9.8 Rigid for sale

Here in the classified forum
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lets see your Stache official thread-d50f04ff-c28e-490e-8679-617ad8f592c3.jpg  

Trek Top Fuel 9.9 RSL
    Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL P1
    Trek Madone SLR9
    Trek Checkpoint SL

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Well I'm definitely from the " Stone age" and those sound like completely valid reasons to me. I won't feel right on carbon either. Good luck, ride on.

mtbr member
    I know better than to write something up this early into the project but I gotta say....

Have the Stache. Rode plenty on an aluminum model so figured the carbon would be just the ticket.
    And, in a crop of squishy bikes that feel remarkably the same between various manufacturers, the Stache is impressively unique.
    But for various reasons I also ended up w/ a (portly) steel Honzo frame. Doesnít take much to swap some tires (remove 3.0, put on 2.5) and use the Stache parts to lace up the Honzo.
    These frames have some similarities (short chainstays) but are pretty different too.

Iíve got two rides on the Honzo and so want to like it but man, itís a black hole for the ummph my legs can put out.
    Iíd swear the harder I work, the harder that bike resists me.
    Gotta be the WTB Vigilante tires combined w/ the Kona geometry.
    Itís bad enough that I kept hopping off to spin the wheels/cranks expecting to find them somehow frozen.
    On top of that- itís not as fun as the Stache. The faster I go, the more stable the Kona feels. Solid, implacable. But try to shuck/jive thru the trees? And it just feels arduous

Anyway- I expected Iíd be selling the Stache frame but now expect the Kona might be up for sale after a few more rides.

-JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Following up on my own post (I went for it)
    1. The 2018 is listed as having debonair on the fork, but the internals are not actually the debonair spring (see picture, red is debonair upgrade). Haven't ridden it yet, but it's a significant change
    2. This was a really easy upgrade, only special tools I bought were syringes for shock fluid, sram butter, shock oil, and retaining ring pliers. Sram has great videos
    3. I did not need a seal kit, mine all looked good. From what I can tell the 200hour rebuild would use the full rebuild kit. Only thing I may change next time are the foam wipers, although mine looked really good still.

Overall I'll see if it helped my riding once trails dry out, but I'm glad I did the 50 hour service and air spring. If nothing else for $50 in supplies I learned a lot about my fork and hopefully stopped the damper leak

Bled the brakes and unstuck one of the rear pistons while I had it down, couldn't believe the air that came out after only 1.5 years of riding! Stopping power feels great again, hoping that lasts.
    Do you still use the Airshaft intended for regular Pike and Revelation, i.e. the one you have pictured (left one)? I came to conclusion to use one for Lyrik and Yari (with black air piston) after Ive browsed the Rock Shox spare part catalog (current iteration, page 88). I think you have been involved in some Pike thread across the forum where member nurseben mentioned he has put the Lyrik upgrade kit into his 29+ pike. With that I felt encouraged to go down the Lyrik kit route.
    I purchased a 29+ Pike MY 18 for my Stache and it came with 140mm of travel. Yesterday I dropped the fork to 120mm on behalf of Lyrik Kit. PN is
    "00.4019.932.006 AIR SPRING UPGRADE KIT - DEBONAIR 120mm (INCLUDES DEBONAIR ASSEMBLY, SEALHEAD) - YARI A1+ (2016+)"
    Rock Shox trailhead app reports the one you have purchased and installed. I hope RS is getting this sorted sooner than later. Irritating that they provide a handy app and have it suggesting wrong parts.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by minverio View Post
    Do you still use the Airshaft intended for regular Pike and Revelation, i.e. the one you have pictured (left one)? I came to conclusion to use one for Lyrik and Yari (with black air piston) after Ive browsed the Rock Shox spare part catalog (current iteration, page 88). I think you have been involved in some Pike thread across the forum where member nurseben mentioned he has put the Lyrik upgrade kit into his 29+ pike. With that I felt encouraged to go down the Lyrik kit route.
    I purchased a 29+ Pike MY 18 for my Stache and it came with 140mm of travel. Yesterday I dropped the fork to 120mm on behalf of Lyrik Kit. PN is
    "00.4019.932.006 AIR SPRING UPGRADE KIT - DEBONAIR 120mm (INCLUDES DEBONAIR ASSEMBLY, SEALHEAD) - YARI A1+ (2016+)"
    Rock Shox trailhead app reports the one you have purchased and installed. I hope RS is getting this sorted sooner than later. Irritating that they provide a handy app and have it suggesting wrong parts.
    Yes, I'm still using the pike B1+ shown on the left picture. I'm still not sold that I have the right length air shaft, but it has been working exceptionally well for the riding I'm doing... So if I'm 10mm short in travel I haven't noticed it. No pedal strikes, but I do bottom out on 4' drops and probably need another token.

I agree it's a mess, not a great customer experience and even the shop I worked with (who called RS) was confused.

mtbr member
    Yes... I pulled the parts of the 9.7, put them on the Kona Honzo.
    And I should tell you all that you can save your time with such an experiment.
    There are some similarities between the frames (on paper) but they are also pretty different. Enough so that the Kona will likely end up for sale but not that Trek.

Sure, Iím not a fan of the big T name all over the Stache. And wish carbon was an easier material on the planet but- the STACHE IS SO SO MUCH MORE FUN! The Kona just feels like a stable predictable bike. When you are in the tight stuff and need to brake hard, then quickly speed back up it gets weary on the old legs pretty quick. Manual? Nope. Not like the Stache. Bunny hop (do the kids still call it that?) a log? Harder on the heavier steel frame.
    Some of that can be blamed on the Konaís portly WTB Vigilante tires. But when Iíve way over estimated things and find myself stuffed into a slippery/loose corner- those same tires save me.

My next step will be to re-lace up the Trek but w/ the WTB tires.
    Will see if itís palatable to my overly sensitive old school tastes.

Anyway- itís another amazing day here in Colorado.
    I hope you are out riding and are not looking for parking at a trailhead.

-JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Chicken Bones View Post
    I know better than to write something up this early into the project but I gotta say....

Have the Stache. Rode plenty on an aluminum model so figured the carbon would be just the ticket.
    And, in a crop of squishy bikes that feel remarkably the same between various manufacturers, the Stache is impressively unique.
    But for various reasons I also ended up w/ a (portly) steel Honzo frame. Doesnít take much to swap some tires (remove 3.0, put on 2.5) and use the Stache parts to lace up the Honzo.
    These frames have some similarities (short chainstays) but are pretty different too.

Iíve got two rides on the Honzo and so want to like it but man, itís a black hole for the ummph my legs can put out.
    Iíd swear the harder I work, the harder that bike resists me.
    Gotta be the WTB Vigilante tires combined w/ the Kona geometry.
    Itís bad enough that I kept hopping off to spin the wheels/cranks expecting to find them somehow frozen.
    On top of that- itís not as fun as the Stache. The faster I go, the more stable the Kona feels. Solid, implacable. But try to shuck/jive thru the trees? And it just feels arduous

Anyway- I expected Iíd be selling the Stache frame but now expect the Kona might be up for sale after a few more rides.

-JCB
    Interesting. And every time I get the itch to go with steel, I always find myself wondering if it will really satisfy that retro-grouch in me, or if it will feel like pedaling a boat anchor. I appreciate you sharing your observations.
    "Caught my first tube this morning....sir!"

mtbr member
    I have a bloated anchor of a Surly.
    Should be a fat bike but it wears 29+ in the summer.
    Itís got a dyno and a F rack.
    Thereís nothing light about it. Nothing.
    Iíd swear it might roll better than the Kona. Iím betting itís the tires more than the steel.
    But if thereís one thing I can count on- Iím sure Iíll be wrong again.

-JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I just picked up a 2019 Stache 5, on sale for $1,499.

Upgrades:

XT Brakes
    800mm carbon bar
    Ergon Fat grips
    Ergon saddle
    Eggbeater pedals
    Tubeless conversion w/orange seal

Future upgrade: carbon wheelset

Fun bike, so much faster than my old 27.5+ HT. Great bike for where I ride (Bend).

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324

Members who have read this thread: 408