Lets see your Stache official thread - Page 24- Mtbr.com
Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425 LastLast
Results 4,601 to 4,800 of 4805
    mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Shimano slx...I can't remember how it works. Do you push both triggers? Or pull with your pointer to shift to a higher gear?
    2019 Trek Farley 9.6
    2018 Trek Stache7
    2017 Hightower S+
    2016 Superfly 9.6

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gendy View Post
    Shimano slx...I can't remember how it works. Do you push both triggers? Or pull with your pointer to shift to a higher gear?
    The answer is, Yes. You can do either. For me though I always say thumbs are for shifting and fingers are for braking.
    Change begins by doing something different.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by huckleberry hound View Post
    The answer is, Yes. You can do either. For me though I always say thumbs are for shifting and fingers are for braking.
    Thanks...thats what i was thinking. I guess i gotta dissassemble the trigger to see why it only works one way :/
    2019 Trek Farley 9.6
    2018 Trek Stache7
    2017 Hightower S+
    2016 Superfly 9.6

mtbr member
    Make sure that it is not hitting your grip if you are trying to shift by pulling the trigger. If it is hitting it then it won't shift and you will need to move the shifter over from the grip.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by phalkon30 View Post
    So I'm not super in love with the Pike on my 2018 9.7, looking for some advice. It's had a small oil leak from the lower rebound since day one (it's always "wet"), and on small root drops on corners I feel like I struggle to keep the wheel on the ground. It's probably mainly poor setup on my part, but I've also never serviced it so I'll do that and start over.

1. Does the 2018 have the Debonair air spring? Trek website doesn't say so, an owner in this thread says yes
    2. If I can upgrade to the Debonair, am I crazy to try this on my own? I'm comfortable working on brakes and BB's and stuff, never touched an air fork though
    3. I'll buy oil/grease to service the lower, do I really need the full rebuild kit as well? Looking at this one, not sure when I would need it: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B013FIV1H4/

Thanks in advance for any advice..
    Following up on my own post (I went for it)
    1. The 2018 is listed as having debonair on the fork, but the internals are not actually the debonair spring (see picture, red is debonair upgrade). Haven't ridden it yet, but it's a significant change
    2. This was a really easy upgrade, only special tools I bought were syringes for shock fluid, sram butter, shock oil, and retaining ring pliers. Sram has great videos
    3. I did not need a seal kit, mine all looked good. From what I can tell the 200hour rebuild would use the full rebuild kit. Only thing I may change next time are the foam wipers, although mine looked really good still.

Overall I'll see if it helped my riding once trails dry out, but I'm glad I did the 50 hour service and air spring. If nothing else for $50 in supplies I learned a lot about my fork and hopefully stopped the damper leak

Bled the brakes and unstuck one of the rear pistons while I had it down, couldn't believe the air that came out after only 1.5 years of riding! Stopping power feels great again, hoping that lasts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frs1661 View Post
    Is anyone running an inexpensive frame bag on their Stache? I want to try one but donít want to spring for the $150 revelate ranger bag without knowing if IĎll like it. I have a 19.5Ē alloy frame, which would for the small ranger nicely.
    Contact rogue panda , get a custom made bag. Will fit much better and be a better price.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    hi
    i will upgrade original crank from my stache 9.6
    Can i install this: SRAM XX1 GXP 175mm q-factor 156?
    If not what I need to look at? what kind of q-factor or bb standards?

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Make sure that it is not hitting your grip if you are trying to shift by pulling the trigger. If it is hitting it then it won't shift and you will need to move the shifter over from the grip.
    it was totally hitting my brake assembly, after swapping on some taller bars. DOH! thanks for the idea!
    2019 Trek Farley 9.6
    2018 Trek Stache7
    2017 Hightower S+
    2016 Superfly 9.6

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Hi Guys.
    I just got a Stache 7 2018 and I want to change the crankset for a SRAM XX1 EAGLE B148 GXP175 168. Do you guys know if it is compatible and what bottom bracket should I get? Thanks!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmolina View Post
    Hi Guys.
    I just got a Stache 7 2018 and I want to change the crankset for a SRAM XX1 EAGLE B148 GXP175 168. Do you guys know if it is compatible and what bottom bracket should I get? Thanks!!!
    I scored a set of XX1 crankset (non-eagle) used to replace the OEM RaceFace on the Stache- bought this BB from Jenson and installed no problem;
    SRAM/Truvativ GXP BB92 Bottom Bracket
    $36.99

Not sure if compatible with the new Eagle/ Dub stuff. Canít keep up with these new standards I tell ya.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Thanks for the reply!
    And how do you like it?
    Any difference with the Original?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmolina View Post
    Thanks for the reply!
    And how do you like it?
    Any difference with the Original?
    I canít say thereís a huge difference. At least not what these amateur feet of mine can feel. The weight savings are minuscule but hey every little bit adds up right? I just couldnít say no to XX1 cranks for $130.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    You have q factor 168 or 156? whether they fit both?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytm1 View Post
    You have q factor 168 or 156? whether they fit both?
    168. Stache frames are built around normal Q factors.

mtbr member
    So I'm not super in love with the Pike on my 2018 9.7, looking for some advice. It's had a small oil leak from the lower rebound since day one (it's always "wet"), and on small root drops on corners I feel like I struggle to keep the wheel on the ground. It's probably mainly poor setup on my part, but I've also never serviced it so I'll do that and start over.

1. Does the 2018 have the Debonair air spring? Trek website doesn't say so, an owner in this thread says yes
    2. If I can upgrade to the Debonair, am I crazy to try this on my own? I'm comfortable working on brakes and BB's and stuff, never touched an air fork though
    3. I'll buy oil/grease to service the lower, do I really need the full rebuild kit as well? Looking at this one, not sure when I would need it: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B013FIV1H4/

Thanks in advance for any advice..
    My 2018 29+ Pike did not come with the debonair spring but I understand most other 2018 models did. My pike was was very harsh. I now have a 2019 Lyrik and it is oh so plush.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Gonna have to recant a couple of things regarding my Stache.

1. Flex: looking down at my rear wheel while I'm in a higher gear and pushing on my pedals really hard...I can see my rear wheel move laterally at least 5-7mm. Chainstay flex!

2. Press fit BB noise: I've been annoyed with a tiny ticky noise lately. I began with removing, cleaning, and greasing the dropouts. Nope. Seatpost and saddle rails next. Nope. Headset, steerer tube, stem, bars next. Nope. Front wheel interface with fork drops. Nope. Cassette freehub interface and rear wheel to dropout interface. Nope. Crankset, chainring. Nope.

Got a threaded Wheels mfgr bottom bracket on the way now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by noosa2 View Post
    My 2018 29+ Pike did not come with the debonair spring but I understand most other 2018 models did. My pike was was very harsh. I now have a 2019 Lyrik and it is oh so plush.
    Gotta say the fork is much nicer after adding 10 psi, servicing lower, and upgrading to the debonair. Much more control able on chunky downhills, and plush hitting rocks uphill.

Chelboed, you have the carbon frame? I'm a tall Clyde, can usually flex bottom brackets but never noticed it on my 9.7, will have to watch. I chased a tick for a while but can't for the life of me think of what it was. I thought it was a creaky bb but was able to clean something on the frame that made it go away. Never ended up pulling the bb, but it's gone now

mtbr member
    I had a creak in my Farley 7 that I thought was the bb. It ended up being a cracked nut on the stranglehold drop out. After that got fixed it was good for a while then a new one developed. It went away when I switched pedals.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Aluminum is like an amplifier for unwanted noises, hehehe

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Gotta say the fork is much nicer after adding 10 psi, servicing lower, and upgrading to the debonair. Much more control able on chunky downhills, and plush hitting rocks uphill.

Chelboed, you have the carbon frame? I'm a tall Clyde, can usually flex bottom brackets but never noticed it on my 9.7, will have to watch. I chased a tick for a while but can't for the life of me think of what it was. I thought it was a creaky bb but was able to clean something on the frame that made it go away. Never ended up pulling the bb, but it's gone now
    Aluminum XL frame. I notice the flex most when I'm in a higher gear and pedaling hard.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Thinking of selling

I really enjoy this bike but want to go back to a steel single speed so I think I will be selling it soon. Would love to keep it but cant swing having two bikes. Switched the wheels out recently to Raceface Arc 40's and put on newish Chupas.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lets see your Stache official thread-img_7138.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chelboed View Post

1. Flex: looking down at my rear wheel while I'm in a higher gear and pushing on my pedals really hard...I can see my rear wheel move laterally at least 5-7mm. Chainstay flex!

2. Press fit BB noise: I've been annoyed with a tiny ticky noise lately. I began with removing, cleaning, and greasing the dropouts. Nope. Seatpost and saddle rails next. Nope. Headset, steerer tube, stem, bars next. Nope. Front wheel interface with fork drops. Nope. Cassette freehub interface and rear wheel to dropout interface. Nope. Crankset, chainring. Nope.

Other things to check are chainring bolts and if you use clipless pedals worn cleats or also just the pedals themselves(flat or clipless). I had a pedal that was ticking and I thought it was the bearings but it turned out to be the cleat instead back when I used spds.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Yah. Been down this road a time or 10. Chainring bolts cleaned and lubed. New cleats on new shoes.

It's the BB.

I've essentially rebuilt the entire bike. Good for it and therapeutic for me.

My BB will be here next week.

mtbr member
    I had a hardtail that you would have sworn the bb was creaking , so I finally took it to the bike shop....took the mechanic about 30 min to figure out that the rear skewer was not tight enough. He greased it up and got it tight...The bike never made another whimper the last few years I had it.. Man , I felt like a dumbass.
    2019 Trek Fuel EX 8

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I had the press fit bb on my 2019 Stache 7 making noise. This is amongst other issues I was having. Turns out it was the bottom bracket shell and was not to spec. The shell was too large for the bottom bracket and the bottom bracket did not press in. It just rotated freely in the shell. I warrantied the frame. Sometimes the noise does come from the BB.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I can press my driveside bb cup in hard with my bare hands. NonDriveSide requires my bearing press.

mtbr member
    I've seen several folks running 140mm travel forks on their stache. Anyone running anything longer?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I'm on 140mm and feel like longer would be wonky handling. My 0.02

mtbr member
    I'm on 140mm and feel like longer would be wonky handling. My 0.02
    Thanks

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by noosa2 View Post
    I've seen several folks running 140mm travel forks on their stache. Anyone running anything longer?
    I had a 150mm Stage 29 on mine for the first bit and it rode nicely with it. Keep in mind though that a 150mm Stage and 120mm Magnum Pro 29+ fork, have only 3mm difference in axle to crown length.
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    True. My 140 is a Yari which is a Lyrik with a MoCo damper. Should probably check axle to crown instead of travel. Good call.

No Pavement Nation (NPN)
    Full ĎComfortí Stache

Lets see your Stache official thread-04a56bf6-8cbe-4bd3-badd-145a025e1b8f.jpg

Lets see your Stache official thread-14d92253-0f45-4fae-bb17-64786ad2cc03.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lets see your Stache official thread-2be65a9b-41ac-4eca-97c3-6eb666131225.jpg  

Last edited by Undescended; 04-22-2019 at 06:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    What is the story with the 2019 Stache 9.7? A couple of days ago Trek listed all sizes available on their site and today only bike on the site available now is the large. Curious that they sold that many bikes in a few days. Seems highly unusual. Is there something else going on? Perhaps the Trek Rep who haunts MTBR can tell us what is going on? I was about the pull the trigger on an XL.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beastmaster View Post
    What is the story with the 2019 Stache 9.7? A couple of days ago Trek listed all sizes available on their site and today only bike on the site available now is the large. Curious that they sold that many bikes in a few days. Seems highly unusual. Is there something else going on? Perhaps the Trek Rep who haunts MTBR can tell us what is going on? I was about the pull the trigger on an XL.
    Trek still shows the 9.7 frame in stock in size XL. Trek Fest just ended so they very well could have sold out of the other sizes. They are only showing the Stache 7 in size XL in stock, all other sizes are sold out. Only size M is available for the Stache 5.
    You might want to go to your dealer and have them check to see if any other stores may have one in stock. For instance Richardson Bike Mart still has a 2018 Stache 9.7 in size XL in stock for $3199.00 https://www.bikemart.com/product/tre...7-311814-1.htm

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    When does Trek normally announce the new models? (Actually looking for a Farley, but their XLs have been sold out)

mtbr member
    When does Trek normally announce the new models? (Actually looking for a Farley, but their XLs have been sold out)
    Usually around late August. That's when my riding buddy picked up his 2019 Stache 7 last year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrousjunky View Post
    I had a 150mm Stage 29 on mine for the first bit and it rode nicely with it. Keep in mind though that a 150mm Stage and 120mm Magnum Pro 29+ fork, have only 3mm difference in axle to crown length.
    Thanks, I was not thinking of A2C at all but I will pay more attention to it.

WNC Native
    FYI-
    Magnum Pro 110 Stock on 2016-2017 is 535mm
    RS Pike and Yari 120 29+ are 543mm
    Magnum/Mattoc Pro 120 29+ is 555mm
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Trek still shows the 9.7 frame in stock in size XL. Trek Fest just ended so they very well could have sold out of the other sizes. They are only showing the Stache 7 in size XL in stock, all other sizes are sold out. Only size M is available for the Stache 5.
    You might want to go to your dealer and have them check to see if any other stores may have one in stock. For instance Richardson Bike Mart still has a 2018 Stache 9.7 in size XL in stock for $3199.00 https://www.bikemart.com/product/tre...7-311814-1.htm
    When I go to the Trek site it doesn't show the XL 9.7 as being available. I did find the Richardson Bike Mart 2018 9.7 Stache in XL. Not sure if RBM are able to sell bikes via the internet and ship them because of agreements with Trek. It's probably worth a call to find out. Thank you!

mtbr member
    I should have made it clear that Trek has the frame only 9.7 in stock. You might see if RBM can ship the bike to your LBS.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I should have made it clear that Trek has the frame only 9.7 in stock. You might see if RBM can ship the bike to your LBS.
    Trek was (and might still be) having difficulties with their inventory tracking system. They have the XL in the 9.7. (BTW, the carbon frame only is simply called Stache Carbon on the top tube--no numbers.)

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Trek was (and might still be) having difficulties with their inventory tracking system. They have the XL in the 9.7. (BTW, the carbon frame only is simply called Stache Carbon on the top tube--no numbers.)
    Is that new? My 2018 says 9.7 on the top tube

I thought I was finally figuring out treks naming scheme...

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by johnD View Post
    I had a hardtail that you would have sworn the bb was creaking , so I finally took it to the bike shop....took the mechanic about 30 min to figure out that the rear skewer was not tight enough. He greased it up and got it tight...The bike never made another whimper the last few years I had it.. Man , I felt like a dumbass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Randpost View Post
    I had the press fit bb on my 2019 Stache 7 making noise. This is amongst other issues I was having. Turns out it was the bottom bracket shell and was not to spec. The shell was too large for the bottom bracket and the bottom bracket did not press in. It just rotated freely in the shell. I warrantied the frame. Sometimes the noise does come from the BB.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    I can press my driveside bb cup in hard with my bare hands. NonDriveSide requires my bearing press.
    I finally got my Wheels MFGR thread together bottom bracket. Finally a quiet ride. The bottom bracket was definitely the culprit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Is that new? My 2018 says 9.7 on the top tube

I thought I was finally figuring out treks naming scheme...
    The frame-only option for a carbon Stache (Stache C Frameset) has a label on the top tube that reads "Stache Carbon." No numbers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I decided to wrap my Stache in left over Matte black vinyl I used for the trim of my car. Matte Black for the Stache and Matte white for the car.

Lets see your Stache official thread-img_20190427_125053.jpg

Lets see your Stache official thread-img_20190427_125043.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2018

stache 7

My 2019 Trek stache 7 has reached its final form.

Handles a former bodybuilder 250 lbs no problem now after upgrades

NOX kitsuma wheels enduro layup. CK hubs
    magura mt7 , 203mm rotors
    mix of gx - xx1

Love this bike, handles anything. Nothing left to upgrade that will make a difference
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lets see your Stache official thread-55875560_2814191905259486_9133911875283582976_o.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Randpost View Post
    I decided to wrap my Stache in left over Matte black vinyl I used for the trim of my car. Matte Black for the Stache and Matte white for the car.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190427_125053.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	192.9 KB 
ID:	1249004

Name:	IMG_20190427_125043.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	118.7 KB 
ID:	1249005
    Wow! Nice job on the car, two thumbs up from me. I've semi-wrapped my mt and road bikes, bottom and side surfaces but would love to do my truck like that, please don't tell me that's your first one, looks too good.
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

mtbr member
    Oops, forgot mine.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, Scalpel 29, XTC 650b, 04 Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Trek Rigid SS - No suspension, no gears....no problem

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Trying to post pics without luck.

I have a 2016 Stache 7 with some much needed mods being:
    Minion DHR front, DHF on the rear
    XT groupset
    50mm stem and 800 mm bars
    Koryak dropper

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Lets see your Stache official thread-img_0681.jpgLets see your Stache official thread-img_0684.jpgLets see your Stache official thread-img_0679.jpg

No Pavement Nation (NPN)
    Stache Gravel Cruzier

Lets see your Stache official thread-aa89a84b-dcdf-4b25-a93f-eab64047e740.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Heist30 View Post
    Stache Gravel Cruzier

Name:	AA89A84B-DCDF-4B25-A93F-EAB64047E740.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	320.7 KB 
ID:	1250939
    You need to leave now

Formerly of Kent
    My eyes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Stache Gravel Cruzier

You need to leave now
    If he had done that to a 29+ Stache he would need to be hanged, drawn and quartered.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    With a rigid fork, dirt drops, and 2" tires... Nobody would suspect a thing.

Live Free & Ride
    New 17 Stache finally built and was able to get it out today! Such an amazing ride and was able to set some new PR's without even trying on this thing! So agile and capable and can carry speed unlike anything I've ever ridden!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lets see your Stache official thread-2019-05-11-14.16.54.jpg  

Lets see your Stache official thread-2019-05-10-19.00.50.jpg  

Lets see your Stache official thread-2019-05-10-18.08.18.jpg  

17 Fuel EX 9.9 (in progress)
    19 FM 279 carbon gravel
    17 Stache 29+
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r

https://kettleheadbrewing.com/

mtbr member
    Stache Gravel Cruzier

Shaved stache

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Mtbiker View Post
    New 17 Stache finally built and was able to get it out today! Such an amazing ride and was able to set some new PR's without even trying on this thing! So agile and capable and can carry speed unlike anything I've ever ridden!
    It's about time you got that thing together. It looks great! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine.

No Pavement Nation (NPN)
    Back to reality... Stache AM

Lets see your Stache official thread-7016facb-c0f1-43ac-8f45-06cd374a1a84.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by NH Mtbiker View Post
    Yep that sounds about right. Beautiful bike btw, congrats and enjoy!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Back to reality... Stache AM

Name:	7016FACB-C0F1-43AC-8F45-06CD374A1A84.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	286.3 KB 
ID:	1251052
    I approve of this message

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    How did you lower the right chainstay ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2016

Smile

This is an old Stache, 2015 or earlier

No Pavement Nation (NPN)
    Yup, these were regular 29rs. Thatís a 2.4 DHRII on the rear and it has just enough clearance.

Live Free & Ride
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED View Post
    Yep that sounds about right. Beautiful bike btw, congrats and enjoy!!!
    Thanks! Really took my time getting all the parts I wanted and spent extra on the wheel build...as its an important aspect of this bike!

Anyone on the thread riding their Stache in NH or southern Maine...Mt Aggy or Fort Rock area? Is so, PM me and we can try to meet up for a Stache ride!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lets see your Stache official thread-2019-05-11-19.22.45.jpg  

19 FM 279 carbon gravel
    17 Stache 29+
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaFACE View Post
    Anybody switched to a 130 fork with 2.6 tires? hows the BB height?
    Getting ready to give it a go figured why not, been favoring the full suspension over 3.0 heavy tires for moment, but still like to hammer hard on the HT on occasion so why not, I have 2016 frame and when I started comparing it to other frames with 2.6 capability like the Santa Cruz Chameleon looking at geo number nothing looked too different including BB bracket height that stood out as don't give this ago, additionally I have seen FB posts where a lot fo riders moved to 2,6 and jsut really enjoy it. I did decide I needed something narrower than 41mm internal wheels so waiting for a new 30mm internal before I go . I suspect it will be a pretty fun (all bikes are) but also very versatile bike.

I have the 120mm 29+ Pike but also have a Fox 34 130mm sittign around so will probably try both. If this works out might just ditch the Pike and Line Pro 40s.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Summer season started with Stache 7:

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    So bummed, 3rd ride ruined due to a broken spoke on the stock durocs. I also wonder if the rim is cracked around one or two nipples? Planned on upgrading to carbon this year, but haven't finished researching yet

Lets see your Stache official thread-img_20190527_113235.jpg
    2019 Trek Farley 9.6
    2018 Trek Stache7
    2017 Hightower S+
    2016 Superfly 9.6

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    So bummed, 3rd ride ruined due to a broken spoke on the stock durocs. I also wonder if the rim is cracked around one or two nipples? Planned on upgrading to carbon this year, but haven't finished researching yet

I bent the rear stock wheel on the first ride, definitely not the best wheels.

Bought NOX composites Kitsuma wheels CK hubs after tons of research, very good value and quality/warranty/crash replacement. over 1000 miles on them now and some nasty hits to the back wheel and still true and every spoke as tight as day 1.

36mm ID wheels work perfect with the 3" tires, actually like the profile more than with the 50mm stock wheels

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Trek built my Stache 5 with Sunringle rims laced with made in China steel spokes. After my third broken spoke I replaced the spokes with made in America steel Wheelsmith spokes. So far no more broken spokes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by vicbog View Post
    I bent the rear stock wheel on the first ride, definitely not the best wheels.

Bought NOX composites Kitsuma wheels CK hubs after tons of research, very good value and quality/warranty/crash replacement. over 1000 miles on them now and some nasty hits to the back wheel and still true and every spoke as tight as day 1.

36mm ID wheels work perfect with the 3" tires, actually like the profile more than with the 50mm stock wheels
    Any idea on how much they weigh? They dont seem to have the weights for that wheelset up

Can you elaborate on liking the profile more? I havent played around with different wheelsets/widths before. Not knowing any better, i've been pleased with the stock setup, i'm not sure on what to expect with such a 'drastic' change in rim width.

Thank you!
    2019 Trek Farley 9.6
    2018 Trek Stache7
    2017 Hightower S+
    2016 Superfly 9.6

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Not sure on the weight but they did feel lighter than the stock wheels. Rim is listed at 490gm. Anyone that pickups the bike always comments how light it is, I did also swap the drive train to GX and up

The tire looks about 5% smaller on the 36mm rim and a little more round which should help with corner grip etc. it is not a huge difference but I prefer the slightly smaller/rounder profile.

The full stache comes with 40mm ID rims and after I saw that I figured the 36ID would work no problem

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    This is a pretty old topic actually. I believe we came to the consensus that the stock wheelset is around 2600g.

Duroc 50 rims I.D. is 46mm.

Best overall profile for 29x3 was voted 40mm I.D.

I'm running ARC40 rims (40mm I.D.) and love the profile. 36mm IMO is too narrow for aggressive cornering but will work for casually trail riding, no doubt. Strokes/folks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Looks like the full stache's 40mm durocs are 36mm I.D.. I'm happy with the 36mm ID.
    Hard to find 29" carbon wheels that are over 36mm ID. i really wanted the SC reserve wheels but they only go up to 31mm ID for the 29"

mtbr member
    Jul 2018

36mm

Here are some pics comparing the stock wheels to 36mm ID, not a huge difference but the 36mm is a bit smaller/rounder in person. I prefer the 36mm to the stock
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lets see your Stache official thread-20190528_104358.jpg  

Lets see your Stache official thread-20190528_104521.jpg  

Lets see your Stache official thread-20190528_085157.jpg  

mtbr member
    This is a pretty old topic actually. I believe we came to the consensus that the stock wheelset is around 2600g.

Duroc 50 rims I.D. is 46mm.

Best overall profile for 29x3 was voted 40mm I.D.

I'm running ARC40 rims (40mm I.D.) and love the profile. 36mm IMO is too narrow for aggressive cornering but will work for casually trail riding, no doubt. Strokes/folks.
    Chelboed, who built your wheels w/ Arc40's and Hope hubs? i can't seem to find your post where you mentioned this.

Thx!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Speedgearbikeshop

Wayne is good at what he does. I took a chance and don't regret it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frs1661 View Post
    Is anyone running an inexpensive frame bag on their Stache? I want to try one but donít want to spring for the $150 revelate ranger bag without knowing if IĎll like it. I have a 19.5Ē alloy frame, which would for the small ranger nicely.

Running a MooseTreks frame bag on my Surly ECR and have no complaints; one large or two smaller pocket convertible.
    Shoot your TV, turn off your CPUís, get outside & start living!
    Banshee Paradox V3 / Soma Wolverine 3spd BD / Surly ECR

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DinoRidge View Post
    Pantone Cool Grey 10 for the new frame.
    What front fork is that? A2C & Offset?

Looking for 29+ rigid fork options, preferably with long A2C. Any Stache rigid fans have a comprehensive list of 29+ carbon forks used on the Stache? Thx

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiptastic View Post
    What front fork is that? A2C & Offset?

Looking for 29+ rigid fork options, preferably with long A2C. Any Stache rigid fans have a comprehensive list of 29+ carbon forks used on the Stache? Thx
    That appears to be the trek 1120 fork, painted to match the frame.

mtbr member

Lets see your Stache official thread

He posted that itís a Niner fork in another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by DinoRidge View Post
    I built it up. Fork is a Niner, though sometimes I'll put a Pike on it. Rear tire right now is a Mezcal 2.6, which makes a fantastic combo with the 3.0 Chupa up front.
    Last edited by rx4mtb; 06-09-2019 at 07:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Anyone have spec's or a link to the 1120 fork on a Trek site?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    They don't list them on the trek site but any dealer can get one. Most details are here: https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/frame...ng-fork-p20815

The weight is not listed. Given its length and the Al steerer, it's probably ~800g.
    Stache 7 --- Rigid Surly 1x1 B+ --- Dirt Drop CrossCheck

mtbr member
    That confirms the 510mm A2C number being thrown around, but I didnít see an offset listed. IIRC 51mm has been thrown around on that spec. Itíd be nice to confirm that too.

Are there. Any other carbon forks out there with 510mm A2C or longer?

The longest 29+ China special Iíve found is 500mm A2C with 51mm offset, but no rack or triple bolt mounts like this nice fork; although lighter with itsí carbon steerer.

mtbr member
    TREK 1120 has G2-Geometry. G2 means 51mm offset.

mtbr member
    I bought a 2019 Stache. Medium.
    It has two rides. Two. No crashes. No scratches. Pretty much perfect.
    Iím considering moving most parts onto a Kona Honzo.

Anybody interested in the Stache frame? Donít know what a slightly used carbon Stache might sell for but can look into it if someone out there needs such a frame.

-JCBs
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Chicken Bones View Post
    I bought a 2019 Stache. Medium.
    It has two rides. Two. No crashes. No scratches. Pretty much perfect.
    Iím considering moving most parts onto a Kona Honzo.

Anybody interested in the Stache frame? Donít know what a slightly used carbon Stache might sell for but can look into it if someone out there needs such a frame.

-JCBs
    Why you switching to a Honzo? I mean definitely a great bike ( especially steel) but just curious.

mtbr member
    I have reasons but they arenít great ones.
    Iím not a huge fan of carbon. Itís an amazing material but takes way more energy to create and most of it will be here until our sun goes super nova. There are ways to sort of recycle it, but thatís not free of energy expenditure either.
    Thatís an odd complaint from me, not like China coughing out another steel frame is green. Not like stuffing it in my van to drive somewhere to pedal is only wind energy. Not like my Ti frames were light on the planet.
    Also- carbon has this feeling to me of being a bike Iíll have for a season or three. Not long term.

2nd- Despite being told to get the large, I went medium. I think itís a bit small to me. Rides great, no knee pain, but feels like a 2hr bike, not an all day bike. Cockpit feels small.

Other little issues but to riders that arenít in the Stone Age, those isssues would sound like ďBlah blah Blah....Ē.

-JCBs
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    May 2017

Just posted my carbon Stache 9.8 Rigid for sale

Here in the classified forum
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lets see your Stache official thread-d50f04ff-c28e-490e-8679-617ad8f592c3.jpg  

Trek Supercaliber 9.9 XX1
    Trek Top Fuel 9.9 XX1
    Trek Procaliber 9.9 SL P1
    Trek Madone SLR9 eTap
    Trek Checkpoint SL AXS

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Well I'm definitely from the " Stone age" and those sound like completely valid reasons to me. I won't feel right on carbon either. Good luck, ride on.

mtbr member
    I know better than to write something up this early into the project but I gotta say....

Have the Stache. Rode plenty on an aluminum model so figured the carbon would be just the ticket.
    And, in a crop of squishy bikes that feel remarkably the same between various manufacturers, the Stache is impressively unique.
    But for various reasons I also ended up w/ a (portly) steel Honzo frame. Doesnít take much to swap some tires (remove 3.0, put on 2.5) and use the Stache parts to lace up the Honzo.
    These frames have some similarities (short chainstays) but are pretty different too.

Iíve got two rides on the Honzo and so want to like it but man, itís a black hole for the ummph my legs can put out.
    Iíd swear the harder I work, the harder that bike resists me.
    Gotta be the WTB Vigilante tires combined w/ the Kona geometry.
    Itís bad enough that I kept hopping off to spin the wheels/cranks expecting to find them somehow frozen.
    On top of that- itís not as fun as the Stache. The faster I go, the more stable the Kona feels. Solid, implacable. But try to shuck/jive thru the trees? And it just feels arduous

Anyway- I expected Iíd be selling the Stache frame but now expect the Kona might be up for sale after a few more rides.

-JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    1. The 2018 is listed as having debonair on the fork, but the internals are not actually the debonair spring (see picture, red is debonair upgrade). Haven't ridden it yet, but it's a significant change
    2. This was a really easy upgrade, only special tools I bought were syringes for shock fluid, sram butter, shock oil, and retaining ring pliers. Sram has great videos
    3. I did not need a seal kit, mine all looked good. From what I can tell the 200hour rebuild would use the full rebuild kit. Only thing I may change next time are the foam wipers, although mine looked really good still.

Overall I'll see if it helped my riding once trails dry out, but I'm glad I did the 50 hour service and air spring. If nothing else for $50 in supplies I learned a lot about my fork and hopefully stopped the damper leak

Bled the brakes and unstuck one of the rear pistons while I had it down, couldn't believe the air that came out after only 1.5 years of riding! Stopping power feels great again, hoping that lasts.
    Do you still use the Airshaft intended for regular Pike and Revelation, i.e. the one you have pictured (left one)? I came to conclusion to use one for Lyrik and Yari (with black air piston) after Ive browsed the Rock Shox spare part catalog (current iteration, page 88). I think you have been involved in some Pike thread across the forum where member nurseben mentioned he has put the Lyrik upgrade kit into his 29+ pike. With that I felt encouraged to go down the Lyrik kit route.
    I purchased a 29+ Pike MY 18 for my Stache and it came with 140mm of travel. Yesterday I dropped the fork to 120mm on behalf of Lyrik Kit. PN is
    "00.4019.932.006 AIR SPRING UPGRADE KIT - DEBONAIR 120mm (INCLUDES DEBONAIR ASSEMBLY, SEALHEAD) - YARI A1+ (2016+)"
    Rock Shox trailhead app reports the one you have purchased and installed. I hope RS is getting this sorted sooner than later. Irritating that they provide a handy app and have it suggesting wrong parts.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by minverio View Post
    Do you still use the Airshaft intended for regular Pike and Revelation, i.e. the one you have pictured (left one)? I came to conclusion to use one for Lyrik and Yari (with black air piston) after Ive browsed the Rock Shox spare part catalog (current iteration, page 88). I think you have been involved in some Pike thread across the forum where member nurseben mentioned he has put the Lyrik upgrade kit into his 29+ pike. With that I felt encouraged to go down the Lyrik kit route.
    I purchased a 29+ Pike MY 18 for my Stache and it came with 140mm of travel. Yesterday I dropped the fork to 120mm on behalf of Lyrik Kit. PN is
    "00.4019.932.006 AIR SPRING UPGRADE KIT - DEBONAIR 120mm (INCLUDES DEBONAIR ASSEMBLY, SEALHEAD) - YARI A1+ (2016+)"
    Rock Shox trailhead app reports the one you have purchased and installed. I hope RS is getting this sorted sooner than later. Irritating that they provide a handy app and have it suggesting wrong parts.
    Yes, I'm still using the pike B1+ shown on the left picture. I'm still not sold that I have the right length air shaft, but it has been working exceptionally well for the riding I'm doing... So if I'm 10mm short in travel I haven't noticed it. No pedal strikes, but I do bottom out on 4' drops and probably need another token.

I agree it's a mess, not a great customer experience and even the shop I worked with (who called RS) was confused.

mtbr member
    Yes... I pulled the parts of the 9.7, put them on the Kona Honzo.
    And I should tell you all that you can save your time with such an experiment.
    There are some similarities between the frames (on paper) but they are also pretty different. Enough so that the Kona will likely end up for sale but not that Trek.

Sure, Iím not a fan of the big T name all over the Stache. And wish carbon was an easier material on the planet but- the STACHE IS SO SO MUCH MORE FUN! The Kona just feels like a stable predictable bike. When you are in the tight stuff and need to brake hard, then quickly speed back up it gets weary on the old legs pretty quick. Manual? Nope. Not like the Stache. Bunny hop (do the kids still call it that?) a log? Harder on the heavier steel frame.
    Some of that can be blamed on the Konaís portly WTB Vigilante tires. But when Iíve way over estimated things and find myself stuffed into a slippery/loose corner- those same tires save me.

My next step will be to re-lace up the Trek but w/ the WTB tires.
    Will see if itís palatable to my overly sensitive old school tastes.

Anyway- itís another amazing day here in Colorado.
    I hope you are out riding and are not looking for parking at a trailhead.

-JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Chicken Bones View Post
    I know better than to write something up this early into the project but I gotta say....

Have the Stache. Rode plenty on an aluminum model so figured the carbon would be just the ticket.
    And, in a crop of squishy bikes that feel remarkably the same between various manufacturers, the Stache is impressively unique.
    But for various reasons I also ended up w/ a (portly) steel Honzo frame. Doesnít take much to swap some tires (remove 3.0, put on 2.5) and use the Stache parts to lace up the Honzo.
    These frames have some similarities (short chainstays) but are pretty different too.

Iíve got two rides on the Honzo and so want to like it but man, itís a black hole for the ummph my legs can put out.
    Iíd swear the harder I work, the harder that bike resists me.
    Gotta be the WTB Vigilante tires combined w/ the Kona geometry.
    Itís bad enough that I kept hopping off to spin the wheels/cranks expecting to find them somehow frozen.
    On top of that- itís not as fun as the Stache. The faster I go, the more stable the Kona feels. Solid, implacable. But try to shuck/jive thru the trees? And it just feels arduous

Anyway- I expected Iíd be selling the Stache frame but now expect the Kona might be up for sale after a few more rides.

-JCB
    Interesting. And every time I get the itch to go with steel, I always find myself wondering if it will really satisfy that retro-grouch in me, or if it will feel like pedaling a boat anchor. I appreciate you sharing your observations.
    "Caught my first tube this morning....sir!"

mtbr member
    I have a bloated anchor of a Surly.
    Should be a fat bike but it wears 29+ in the summer.
    Itís got a dyno and a F rack.
    Thereís nothing light about it. Nothing.
    Iíd swear it might roll better than the Kona. Iím betting itís the tires more than the steel.
    But if thereís one thing I can count on- Iím sure Iíll be wrong again.

-JCB
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I just picked up a 2019 Stache 5, on sale for $1,499.

Upgrades:

XT Brakes
    800mm carbon bar
    Ergon Fat grips
    Ergon saddle
    Eggbeater pedals
    Tubeless conversion w/orange seal

Future upgrade: carbon wheelset

Fun bike, so much faster than my old 27.5+ HT. Great bike for where I ride (Bend).

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Looking to order some carbon wheels, and i cant decide between sticking with i45 or going to i39. My only experience is with the stock mulefits and xr2s which i like. what could i expect going to i39, i wonder if i would notice? would i need to run higher psi?
    2019 Trek Farley 9.6
    2018 Trek Stache7
    2017 Hightower S+
    2016 Superfly 9.6

Australia
    Looking to order some carbon wheels, and i cant decide between sticking with i45 or going to i39. My only experience is with the stock mulefits and xr2s which i like. what could i expect going to i39, i wonder if i would notice? would i need to run higher psi?
    I switched from i45 (Mulefut) to i39 (Nextie) and upped the pressure by 1 PSI on either end. I found that because the i39 wheelset weighs less than the i45, there's a noticeable decrease in gyroscopic effect when cornering at speed.

Not a cheap upgrade but highly recommended.
    2019 Stache 9.7
    ̶2̶0̶1̶6̶ ̶S̶t̶a̶c̶h̶e̶ ̶7̶

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    Would one of these suspension dropper posts fit?

https://www.pnwcomponents.com/collec...28488424587341

I'm not sure if it would be too long since the seat post curves. I bought a large 2019 Stache 5 and I'm not sure what dropper comes stock. There's no information on the trek website other than it's a 31.6mm post. I won't get the bike until next week to measure it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 3329 View Post
    Would one of these suspension dropper posts fit?

https://www.pnwcomponents.com/collec...28488424587341

I'm not sure if it would be too long since the seat post curves. I bought a large 2019 Stache 5 and I'm not sure what dropper comes stock. There's no information on the trek website other than it's a 31.6mm post. I won't get the bike until next week to measure it.
    The post you linked is an externally routed post and the Stache uses an internally routed one.
    Also the stock post is a 125mm drop and the one you listed is 120mm. Why are you changing it? The stock one works pretty well. I have over a year of heavy use on mine and it has been trouble free.Now if you were changing it out because you want more drop then that is a horse of a different color. I too have a large frame and could easily use a 150mm drop with it but I'm not interested in getting one until the stock one fails. Then I will probably get this one. https://www.pnwcomponents.com/collec...28156976955469

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    The post you linked is an externally routed post and the Stache uses an internally routed one.
    Also the stock post is a 125mm drop and the one you listed is 120mm. Why are you changing it? The stock one works pretty well. I have over a year of heavy use on mine and it has been trouble free.Now if you were changing it out because you want more drop then that is a horse of a different color. I too have a large frame and could easily use a 150mm drop with it but I'm not interested in getting one until the stock one fails. Then I will probably get this one. https://www.pnwcomponents.com/collec...28156976955469
    There is an option for internal routing. I'm interested in that one in particular because it has 40mm suspension for comfort. I probably won't swap out the stock one for awhile though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 3329 View Post
    There is an option for internal routing. I'm interested in that one in particular because it has 40mm suspension for comfort. I probably won't swap out the stock one for awhile though.
    You will be surprised just how comfortable the Stache is with the right pressure in your tires. You will probably not need the other seatpost.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    You will be surprised just how comfortable the Stache is with the right pressure in your tires. You will probably not need the other seatpost.
    Agreed. As a long time hardtail rider this is the first bike I'm not really that beat up on during long rides. Tired yes, but my ass feels fine

mtbr member

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member

The two reasons I went with the new Banshee Paradox V3 for my next build. With that said, I had a tick that frustrated me for weeks. It turned out to be a pedal that wasnít torqued tightly enough. So if the threaded B.B. insert doesnít/didnít do the trick, check your pedals (like another poster suggested as well).

Only time will tell if the new B P V3 will check all my boxes once finished, but the standard threaded B.B. and new frame design/geo played a huge roll in my selection.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Has anyone installed Shimano 12 speed on their Stache yet? I made the swap today to an XT 10-51 cassette, XTR shifter/derailleur, and Boost XT crank with a Wolf 32 tooth round chainring. With the chain on the 51 cog, the chain rubs on the chain stay. Iím considering running my non-boost crankset instead, but wanted to hear thoughts from the peanut gallery first.

mtbr member
    Ugly, but quite fun :/

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowtalker View Post
    Has anyone installed Shimano 12 speed on their Stache yet? I made the swap today to an XT 10-51 cassette, XTR shifter/derailleur, and Boost XT crank with a Wolf 32 tooth round chainring. With the chain on the 51 cog, the chain rubs on the chain stay. Iím considering running my non-boost crankset instead, but wanted to hear thoughts from the peanut gallery first.

Trek advises only running a 30T chainring on a Stache with a 12 spd rear cassette (the 9.7 & come stock with a 30x10-50 Sram Eagle setup). If you were to run something considerably smaller on the cassette, like the XTR 12 spd 10-51 it might be possible to run a 32T, but it would be tight.

mtbr member
    Trek advises only running a 30T chainring on a Stache with a 12 spd rear cassette (the 9.7 & come stock with a 30x10-50 Sram Eagle setup). If you were to run something considerably smaller on the cassette, like the XTR 12 spd 10-51 it might be possible to run a 32T, but it would be tight.
    I think you meant XTR 12 spd 10-45 cassette.
    Last edited by huckleberry hound; 08-18-2019 at 05:16 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Oops. Youíre rightóI meant 10-45 12 spd.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Thanks for the input everyone. I swapped to 30t chainring up front and have about 2mm of clearance on the chain stay with my rear axle right in the middle of the stranglehold.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017

Australia
    Hi guys, will an oval 32T with a Sram Eagle cassette play nicely with the carbon Stache?
    2019 Stache 9.7

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bataleon View Post
    Hi guys, will an oval 32T with a Sram Eagle cassette play nicely with the carbon Stache?
    Trek advises only running a 30T chainring on a Stache with a 12 spd rear cassette (the 9.7 & come stock with a 30x10-50 Sram Eagle setup). If you were to run something considerably smaller on the cassette, like the XTR 12 spd 10-45 it might be possible to run a 32T, but it would be tight.
    I don't think so by reading the few posts above as well as what the pictures above show.

Australia
    I don't think so by reading the few posts above as well as what the pictures above show.
    Thanks mate. I'm an idiot. I glanced over that post and thought that the Shimano 12 speed cassette was the same size as the Sram.
    2019 Stache 9.7

mtbr member
    Thanks mate. I'm an idiot. I glanced over that post and thought that the Shimano 12 speed cassette was the same size as the Sram.
    Not an idiot, I actually changed it in my reply to you so that you wouldn't be confused. Beastmaster just had a brain fart when he posted that when he meant to say 10-45.

mtbr member
    Oops. Youíre rightóI meant 10-45 12 spd.
    You are not an idiot, a skimmer maybe. I actually changed it in my reply to you so that you wouldn't be confused. Beastmaster just had a brain fart when he posted that when he meant to say 10-45.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    For anyone looking to put 29x2.5s on their stache, I have a set of e.thirteen TRS wheels with Maxxis Minion DHF's 29x2.5 mounted F & R. The tires are practically new as are the wheels (only 2 rides on them). So PM me if you have any interest in them....they're not super light but they are completely gnar-proof!

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    New 2020 frame!
    Lets see your Stache official thread-img_2460.jpgLets see your Stache official thread-img_2459.jpgLets see your Stache official thread-img_2458.jpg

Australia
    I notice they've changed the gusset. It looks neat
    2019 Stache 9.7

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    After 1 1/2 years of riding my full rigid Stache as a single speed than geared for the past 6 months (I tore my ACL, had reconstruction surgery, and the doc didn't want me pulling up with pedals so gears it had to be), I finally put a dropper post on it. I bought a FOX Transfer 175 and what an amazing difference it makes! I have had many dropper posts on many different FS bikes, but having grown really comfortable riding super techy terrain on the Stache without one, I am stunned at how much better the bike is with it now. Woohoo!

On a different note, I think its interesting that Trek converted their '19 Stache into the 2020 bike without any changes (to components, DON'T TOUCH THAT FRAME!!!). That means no sales on the '19 leftover bikes. Hmmmm.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    2019 Stache 5 and 7 are both on closeout.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    After 1 1/2 years of riding my full rigid Stache as a single speed than geared for the past 6 months (I tore my ACL, had reconstruction surgery, and the doc didn't want me pulling up with pedals so gears it had to be), I finally put a dropper post on it. I bought a FOX Transfer 175 and what an amazing difference it makes! I have had many dropper posts on many different FS bikes, but having grown really comfortable riding super techy terrain on the Stache without one, I am stunned at how much better the bike is with it now. Woohoo!

On a different note, I think its interesting that Trek converted their '19 Stache into the 2020 bike without any changes (to components, DON'T TOUCH THAT FRAME!!!). That means no sales on the '19 leftover bikes. Hmmmm.
    The 2020 is different. Those are just my 2019 parts on the 2020 frame. I snapped the 2019 a couple weeks ago so the sent me a 2020 frame

Australia
    Yeah, the 2019 are discounted in Australia too. I recently bought a 2019 9.7 for AUD$1000 off. Colour remains unchanged for 2020, the 2020 has the new Pike though. Not sure if any other components are different, I haven't looked.
    2019 Stache 9.7

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Deputydavid301 View Post
    The 2020 is different. Those are just my 2019 parts on the 2020 frame. I snapped the 2019 a couple weeks ago so the sent me a 2020 frame

While I am pleased that Trek didn't change the geometry on the '20 Stache, calling the bike new because it sports the newest version of a PIKE hardly qualifies as "different." The rest of the bike is the same as a '19. I was just bummed that Trek didn't have a sale the already built-in-a-box '19 models. Guess not!

(BTW, I wasn't looking at your bike when I made my original comment. I was looking at the Trek website which still shows the '19 model in their photography.)

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Found a new frame for $300.
    Threw a Fox 34SC on it...along with XTR12 and a set of Nox rims laced with Berd spokes
    Fun and light
    Lets see your Stache official thread-stache92608_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Posted to Trek Stache Facebook group so you may see it there too, looking for advice.

2018 Stache 9.7 on stock "Sun Ringle" wheels, I've now broken 2 spokes on the rear wheel drive side in the last month. This time it went through the rim strip and I walked a few miles out

Whats your experience, is this wheel a lost cause? Any luck with getting Trek to upgrade to Line Pro 40's after failures? Other wheels to consider for a 6'4" 190lb rider on an XL?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lets see your Stache official thread-img_20190928_142756.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    I weigh 260. After I broke 3 spokes on rear wheel, I replaced the spokes made with China steel with made in the USA Wheelsmith spokes. Its been 1 year with no broken spokes.

Community Manager at Trek
    Posted to Trek Stache Facebook group so you may see it there too, looking for advice.

2018 Stache 9.7 on stock "Sun Ringle" wheels, I've now broken 2 spokes on the rear wheel drive side in the last month. This time it went through the rim strip and I walked a few miles out

Whats your experience, is this wheel a lost cause? Any luck with getting Trek to upgrade to Line Pro 40's after failures? Other wheels to consider for a 6'4" 190lb rider on an XL?
    Hey there,

I would suggest dropping in a warranty claim with your local dealer. I can't tell you what they will do for a replacement, but they can certainly get you fixed up.
    Mitchell Mathews | Community Manager | Trek Bicycle Corporation

Instagram | Twitter

mtbr member
    Feb 2018

How old is your Stache ? My 2017 broke 2 spokes in the first year, the dealer replaced them at no charge. My 3rd spoke broke at about 14 months. I contacted Trek, they told me to contact Sun Ringle. Sun Ringle told me that the rim was Sun Ringle, the spokes were supplied by others and that Trek used to have the wheel assembled. I decided to replace the spokes with made in the USA spokes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019

new wheelset!

Just got my EIE/DT Swiss wheelset, so thought I'd post a picture. 2017 Stache 5.

I'm now running X1 11-speed 10-42 with 28T, which gives slightly more speed in the small cog and a lot easier granny gear than the stock setup, but without the weight and chain length penalty of Eagle.

Also running XR4 front, XR2 back, with Cushcore only in the back. I run 11 psi F/R now, and it's nice! Was running a Chupa in front, and while the XR4 has definitely slowed the roll, I love the new grip up front.

Also put SLX brakes on there for obvious reasons.

Things that have broken so far (since 2017):
    1. Headset is now Cane Creek. The lower bearing didn't ever really fit; not sure how it got past QC.

2. BB is now threaded Wheels Mfg. No more creaking.

3. I blew the rear hub. In addition to the ubiquitous bearing, I also replaced the hard-to-find driver-side bearing. Then found that the axle was slightly bent. I found other issues too. This hub is just a piece of shit design.

4. The fork. My particular Machete always had a ton of stiction, and after upgrading the compression and the seals, I found it had to be the bushings. So I got a Fox 34 (I've found Fox forks with lots of stiction sometimes too, so it seems like it was just bad luck.)

I instantly fell in love with the Stache and am still loving it. I mostly ride the rough trails of northern New Mexico, and although I sometimes wish for a bit of squish, the Stache usually eats up everything. A sometimes overlooked benefit of those big tires is that they help keep my hands feeling fresh even with all of the chatter; so far, no other bike has been able to do that as well.

I actually bought a 2019 Trance 29 to replace the Stache this year and get some squish, but ended up hating that bike and sold it a few months ago. I've since demo'd a Ripmo, Pivot 429, and Sentinel, and only the Ripmo has tempted me.

Lets see your Stache official thread-img_20191020_102233043_hdr.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Hey there,

I would suggest dropping in a warranty claim with your local dealer. I can't tell you what they will do for a replacement, but they can certainly get you fixed up.
    Thanks Mitch. I did contact the Trek store I bought it from who submitted a warranty claim. Warranty dept said it was not a warranty issue, but as a gesture of good faith offered 25% off the same wheel ($187ish plus setup).

I'll probably decline, price is good for a wheel but I just don't trust this design/choice from trek based on how many failures I've seen online and from friends who ride a stache.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Thanks Mitch. I did contact the Trek store I bought it from who submitted a warranty claim. Warranty dept said it was not a warranty issue, but as a gesture of good faith offered 25% off the same wheel ($187ish plus setup).

I'll probably decline, price is good for a wheel but I just don't trust this design/choice from trek based on how many failures I've seen online and from friends who ride a stache.

After two repairs Trek warranted a rear wheel for my Stache. It held up but I went with Line Pro 40s.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Lets see your Stache official thread-2020-stache-7.jpgLets see your Stache official thread-fullsizeoutput_289c.jpgLets see your Stache official thread-fullsizeoutput_289e.jpgI'm by no means as experienced as a lot of you are out here but I've always wanted to try a Stache from all the reviews. I originally thought after having a 26, then a couple 29ers early on, and then a 27.5 plus that I'd want another 27.5 plus. I tried the Santa Cruz Chameleon thinking I'd end up ordering the color and exact specs I wanted and it seemed fine on the rest ride, smooth and refined maybe. I also remember seeing a 19 Stache 7 on display and after the chameleon ride, I asked to try it, but in my head I was also thinking I probably wouldn't want to go that big again on my wheel. That frame just felt so light inside the store I just thought why not try it. The first thing I noticed was how playful it was and how easy it rolled. They had a small test track there, nothing major but it climbed around it with ease, where I felt the smaller wheels made me work a little more. Even my buddy who was with me said you flew around on the bigger wheels a lot easier than the other looked. So to make a long story short, I had to get my mind right since I was convinced what I wanted, but then was having second thoughts now. A week later I decided I was going all in and ordering the Stache 7 2020. I wasn't really in love with the 19 cobra red which is a shame, because of the discounts. I wanted to show a couple pictures in case anyone else could see how it looks in person, it's just always hard to tell from the Trek site. It's a clean looking bike, the coloring of the Trek letters change depending on the angle you are looking it, I didn't know that either. The hubs are an oil rub multicolor look, and the black finish on the bike is a matte black. I had the brake's changed to the 520's for the 4 pistons before pickup and just put some pedals on for now. I will probably ride it as is for awhile until I get more familiar with the parts and learn what I like and don't like. That is all for now, thanks for all the good info on here, it's helpful to me as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018

The stache is fast

For anyone wondering how fast the stache is and if 3" tires will slow you down. Here is me sprinting for a 2nd place finish in my first ever Cat 3 XC race with over 30 riders in my age group. Everyone else was on true XC bike with first and third place on Spec Epics, bunch of scotts etc. And yes I'm on Flats.

The stache is also good enough for enduro races, did a race and spider mountain recently with 3 place out of about 50, only hardtail there.

But the only thing stock left of this 2019 stache is the frame, fork and bars. Stock wheels sucked and gave me nothing but trouble for the first 3 months of owning the bike. Now carbon enduro layup NOX with CK hubs and haven't even touched a spoke in over a year and 2000k miles.

Love the bike (after upgrades)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lets see your Stache official thread-74231791_144653716890712_8824607060978040832_o.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    vicbog,
    nice pic & bike! (I enjoyed my Stache too, except for the stock wheels/hubs)
    But what about the guy standing next to the tree flashing the guy behind you...LMAO!

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by vicbog View Post
    For anyone wondering how fast the stache is and if 3" tires will slow you down. Here is me sprinting for a 2nd place finish in my first ever Cat 3 XC race with over 30 riders in my age group. Everyone else was on true XC bike with first and third place on Spec Epics, bunch of scotts etc. And yes I'm on Flats.
    You could have been sprinting for 1st place if you were on a different bike and clipless.
    Just kidding! lol

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by j102 View Post
    You could have been sprinting for 1st place if you were on a different bike and clipless.
    Just kidding! lol
    No, seriously! (But you're still faster than me)

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by TrekWarMachine View Post
    No, seriously! (But you're still faster than me)
    It's category 3 so no one cares anyway, Ill report in a few years if the bike makes it to cat2 lol

mtbr member
    Feb 2018

I had a similar experience. I broke 3 spokes on separate occasions over the first year of owning my bike. I don't ride the bike overly hard, but i am around 195# By the time i got the 3rd spoke replaced, i noticed the rim was starting to crack around the nipple holes. I ended up buying some EIE carbon wheels, which have been trouble free so far
    2019 Trek Farley 9.6
    2018 Trek Stache7
    2017 Hightower S+
    2016 Superfly 9.6

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Anybody run studded tires on their Stache, and if so, which ones?
    2019 Trek Farley 9.6
    2018 Trek Stache7
    2017 Hightower S+
    2016 Superfly 9.6

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Lets see your Stache official thread-le2jjgg.jpg

Here's mine in bikepacking mode. Bought the bike used on july and it's been a blast!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I had a similar experience. I broke 3 spokes on separate occasions over the first year of owning my bike. I don't ride the bike overly hard, but i am around 195# By the time i got the 3rd spoke replaced, i noticed the rim was starting to crack around the nipple holes. I ended up buying some EIE carbon wheels, which have been trouble free so far
    Ended up getting these pre built by QBP for $600 total, weight is with rim strip, will weigh when I set them up with Xr2 rear and Xr4 front.

Pretty pumped, 120 POE on race face j424 hubs click really nice and have huge flanges and seals, rims are WTB KOM light i40 32 hole.

EDIT: Shop just called, when they were replacing the broken spoke on my sun tingles they noticed the rim is cracking around the nipples and recommended not riding it hard if possible. Glad it's now my backup wheel!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Yesterday was just a beautiful day for a ride. Bogus Basin Idaho.

Lets see your Stache official thread-20191106_103916.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Hi, guys.

There are a consensus on MY19 alloy geometry?

Iīm looking for one, but none dealer here have it at stock, I have to place the order without see it...

Anyone could confirm 2019 stack and reach?

Community Manager at Trek
    Quote Originally Posted by Zornitta View Post
    Hi, guys.

There are a consensus on MY19 alloy geometry?

Iīm looking for one, but none dealer here have it at stock, I have to place the order without see it...

Anyone could confirm 2019 stack and reach?
    2019 and 2020 numbers would be the same for the Stache. But these numbers depend on size. The below snapshot shows reach on the left and stack on the right.

Name:  Annotation 2019-11-25 140046.png
Views: 485
Size:  10.1 KB
    Mitchell Mathews | Community Manager | Trek Bicycle Corporation

Instagram | Twitter

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Got my new wheels set up finally, xr2 rear and Xr4 front. Went i40, they ended up about 2.8" wide which I'm surprised how much narrower they got by dropping a little on the rims. Oh well, everyone loves their line pros at the same size! Weight ended up identical to stock even with the xr4

Picture of the fractures starting on my durocs, glad to be keeping only for a backup

Haven't ridden yet, trails will be muddy till it snows, maybe global fat bike day they will be firm enough

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Got my new wheels set up finally, xr2 rear and Xr4 front. Went i40, they ended up about 2.8" wide which I'm surprised how much narrower they got by dropping a little on the rims. Oh well, everyone loves their line pros at the same size! Weight ended up identical to stock even with the xr4

Picture of the fractures starting on my durocs, glad to be keeping only for a backup

Haven't ridden yet, trails will be muddy till it snows, maybe global fat bike day they will be firm enough

Too much focus these days on building a rim to the max tension. 110 is plenty, and 100 works fine too, if you use thinner spokes on the more-braced side. That goes out the window with low-spoke count rims, but even 28 is practically normal now.

Line Pro 40 rims are practically bomb-proof. Not the lightest one out there, but mine have survived two pinch flats at speed on rocks with no damage. The XR4s that I've put on those rims come out to about 3", so you'll likely see some expansion when you ride them.

mtbr member
    I was up there with a Stache about a month ago as well!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    Too much focus these days on building a rim to the max tension. 110 is plenty, and 100 works fine too, if you use thinner spokes on the more-braced side. That goes out the window with low-spoke count rims, but even 28 is practically normal now.

Line Pro 40 rims are practically bomb-proof. Not the lightest one out there, but mine have survived two pinch flats at speed on rocks with no damage. The XR4s that I've put on those rims come out to about 3", so you'll likely see some expansion when you ride them.
    Would have loved line pro 40s but couldn't justify double the price. Good point on stretching, hadn't considered I'm comparing brand new tires to 2 year old beat up rubbers!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Hey Guys,

Iím going to call my Trek LBS tomorrow, but am not overly confident so am asking here. Ironically I sold the wifeís Stache (she knew) last summer... big mistake... she loved and misses the bike... and yup, now Iím looking for a frame!

Anyway, the Aluminum ones are on sale and I think I read (canít find where I read that now) they will take a 27.5Ē, can you guys confirm? And if so, is there a 3Ē 27.5 tire?

She would be on the 17.5Ē frame, if going with a 27.5Ē wheelsize, would she be better with the 18.5Ē to get a bit more BB clearance?

She is not a crazy aggressive rider, but for some reason on that bike she is a bit of a hooligan!

Thanks
    D
    Somewhere lost in the Bush!

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by osteo View Post
    Hey Guys,

Iím going to call my Trek LBS tomorrow, but am not overly confident so am asking here. Ironically I sold the wifeís Stache (she knew) last summer... big mistake... she loved and misses the bike... and yup, now Iím looking for a frame!

Anyway, the Aluminum ones are on sale and I think I read (canít find where I read that now) they will take a 27.5Ē, can you guys confirm? And if so, is there a 3Ē 27.5 tire?

She would be on the 17.5Ē frame, if going with a 27.5Ē wheelsize, would she be better with the 18.5Ē to get a bit more BB clearance?

She is not a crazy aggressive rider, but for some reason on that bike she is a bit of a hooligan!

Thanks
    D
    I believe the 2017 model year was the last year the alloy frames would take 29+, 29, and 27.5+ setups, with changes in fork travel to compensate for the bottom bracket height depending on which wheel size you went with. I bought that frame when they were on clearance last year and am running it 27.5+ and itís my favorite setup of the three possibilities. Itís just so lively, responsive and fun.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by maddchase View Post
    I believe the 2017 model year was the last year the alloy frames would take 29+, 29, and 27.5+ setups, with changes in fork travel to compensate for the bottom bracket height depending on which wheel size you went with. I bought that frame when they were on clearance last year and am running it 27.5+ and itís my favorite setup of the three possibilities. Itís just so lively, responsive and fun.
    Thanks! So what travel fork do you have on yours?

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Thanks! So what travel fork do you have on yours?
    For 27.5+, 140mm is recommended by Trek. So Iím running a Fox 34 at 140mm, been great!

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    My Stache budget build is almost complete waiting for tires to get here. List of parts below.

2019 Stache frame
    Wheels Manufacturing thread together BB
    Race Face Aeffect crank with 30T Race Face chainring
    Renthal stem and bar.
    Shimano XT 11-46 cassette
    Shimano XT shifter and derailleur
    Rockshox 35 fork
    Rockshox Reverb dropper
    WTB High tail saddle
    Stan's Sentry MK3 with DT Swiss 350 hubs lace by Ben's Cycle
    Shimano Deore brakes/Ice tech rotors
    WTB Ranger 29x3.0 tires

Lets see your Stache official thread-stache.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Hey Guys,

Thanks
    D
    27.5x3.0 tires:

WTB Ranger (Bridger is out of line)
    Terrene Chunk
    Panaracer Fat B Nimble (3.5, but run small)
    Teravail Coronado
    Vee Tire Speedster, Bulldozer & Crown Gem
    Vittoria Bombolini & Cannoli

Plusbike has some of them measured.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zornitta View Post
    27.5x3.0 tires:

WTB Ranger (Bridger is out of line)
    Terrene Chunk
    Panaracer Fat B Nimble (3.5, but run small)
    Teravail Coronado
    Vee Tire Speedster, Bulldozer & Crown Gem
    Vittoria Bombolini & Cannoli

Plusbike has some of them measured.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Brrrr.

Lets see your Stache official thread-snowtrek2.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Add Schwalbe Nobby Nic & Rocket Ron to the list

mtbr member
    Maybe a bit off topic but I know tire pressure is important on the Stache and for 29er 3.0 tires in general.. Can anyone recommend a tire pressure guage that is accurate and actually works? Have been through like three of them now.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good guage to use on everything from low pressure fat bike to higher pressure gravel bike?

I'm setting up a 2-3 hour demo on a Stache and want to get the right pressure dialed.

thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I use Blackburn Honest digital gauge. Works great.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I use the Topeak D2 digital gauge

https://www.topeak.com/global/en/pro...-smartgauge-d2

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Use the same gauge every time you ride and it doesn't matter if it's accurate. Just needs to be repeatable

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    For a 6'1" rider with 35" inseam, is a XL or L the go to fit? I know the stache runs small by today's standards.

Edit: did some digging through the past 20+ pages. Looks like a 21.5 with a shorter stem is perfect!

Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by barefootdan View Post
    For a 6'1" rider with 35" inseam, is a XL or L the go to fit? I know the stache runs small by today's standards.

Edit: did some digging through the past 20+ pages. Looks like a 21.5 with a shorter stem is perfect!
    Correct! Sorry I didn't read this post sooner to save you the trouble XL will be perfect.
    2019 Stache 9.7

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by barefootdan View Post

Replied on your other thread but wanted to add that I did not need to change stem size. Works fine for me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Just finish my Trek Stache budget build can't wait to test it out after the snow melts.
    Lets see your Stache official thread-trek.jpg

DTL
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Does anyone know or think trek may be in the midst of updating the stache (Hardtail) design? Im enjoying my 2019 stache 7 and have been thinking of upgrading to a carbon frame but seeing the lack of models and color change updates for 2020 I cant help but think a new stache frame is around the corner.

Australia
    I wondered the same thing before I bought my 9.7.

There's always the possibility, obviously, but the current Stache is so good I don't know what could be improved upon to make it much better.

It's a hardtail so there's no suspension kinematics etc to be revised and tinkered with.

Any change would be a subtle one, and for me a subtle change wasn't worth waiting for. Also, I really like the Slate Grey colour that the 19/20 Carbon bike comes in
    2019 Stache 9.7

DTL
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I wondered the same thing before I bought my 9.7.

There's always the possibility, obviously, but the current Stache is so good I don't know what could be improved upon to make it much better.

It's a hardtail so there's no suspension kinematics etc to be revised and tinkered with.

Any change would be a subtle one, and for me a subtle change wasn't worth waiting for. Also, I really like the Slate Grey colour that the 19/20 Carbon bike comes in
    How do you like the ride of the carbon frame? Do you have any time on an aluminum frame to compare?

mtbr member
    The 2020's are already out and I would imagine a new model if there is one would not be announced for a while?

Demo'ing a stache soon as the weather drys out. I took a quick 5 minute ride on one and was blown away by speed, nimbleness and traction.

I have heard on the Stache FB forum that the 2016 is the best year as it can take 27.5 or 29 or 29+ wheel with the right fork. Nice feature but I don't think I would run 3 different wheel sets.

The 2020 9.7 looks real nice. Can see that bike with line 40 wheel upgrade coming in at 24 lbs but sorta big $$$ for a hardtail!

Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by DTL View Post
    How do you like the ride of the carbon frame? Do you have any time on an aluminum frame to compare?
    I owned the Aluminium Stache 7 for 3 years and rode it a lot. I've only recently bought the 9.7 and have only put 5 hours on it. I'm not a Strava nerd but it is fun to compare times of the same trails ridden over the years. I'm 10% quicker on the 9.7 than I was on the 7. All while being MUCH less fit than I was when I owned the 7, so that's promising. When my fitness gets back up to where it was I'll be even quicker still.

The Pike is amazing, which surely contributes towards the quicker times too. Being Carbon, the rear triangle is a lot stiffer laterally than the Aluminium frame, which is noticeable in cornering. As far as small bump compliance goes, I haven't noticed a difference between the frames. I suppose the big tyres negate that.

My 9.7 size large with 120ml of sealant in each tyre (1 x heavy Minion and 1 x XR2), Carbon Nextie i39mm wheels with DT350 hubs, DMR Vault pedals, AXS dropper post and AXS derailleur weighs 12.9kg (28.4lbs)
    2019 Stache 9.7

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newking View Post

The 2020 9.7 looks real nice. Can see that bike with line 40 wheel upgrade coming in at 24 lbs but sorta big $$$ for a hardtail!
    I agree about the $$$ - its a super nice bike but would be more attractive if it were offered with the carbon wheels at a $4400ish price range.
    I do want one really bad though I actually had a 2018 9.7 for a short time (with the stock wheels) but sold it - I miss it.

mtbr member
    It was fun. Just not quite what I wanted.
    Lets see your Stache official thread-450f533e-9c78-44cb-a1c9-727794a32ed3.jpg

Iím selling my 17.5 Stache frame.
    Anyone interested? PM me for more info

https://classifieds.mtbr.com/showpro...product=118569

-JCB

(Damn you iPhone and MTBR photos! Sorry for the inverted shot. Guess Iíll work on my proofing before clicking submit)
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019

phalkon30 question about your 2018 Pike & Debonair. Did the Rockshox serial number lookup (https://trailhead.rockshox.com/en/search/) for your fork list Debonair as the spring type?

The 2018 Pike serial# on my Full Stache 8 gives me part number 004019532005 and lists spring as Debonair.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rete View Post
    phalkon30 question about your 2018 Pike & Debonair. Did the Rockshox serial number lookup (https://trailhead.rockshox.com/en/search/) for your fork list Debonair as the spring type?

The 2018 Pike serial# on my Full Stache 8 gives me part number 004019532005 and lists spring as Debonair.
    Funny story, I recently got my stache back from a shop because I was having problems with my upgrade. It was sitting at 10% sag when not riding, you could stretch it back but it would suck down to that point.

Long story short a different engineer at RS determined that my fork was already debonair and could not use the kit I ordered. The dimple placement is different and it wasn't equalizing.

I would have to go dig up notes from the shop, but they also said one rebuild kit wouldn't fit my fork, RS had to combine parts from 2 fork rebuild kits to actually do the 200hour service. What a ****ing mess of a model year from what I can tell.

See screenshot for my fork info, it did indicate debonair

mtbr member
    Price drop on my carbon Stache frame.
    $700, I'll pay shipping.

https://classifieds.mtbr.com/showpro...ame-only&cat=7
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Jan 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeny View Post
    According to the old tables, the 2016 & 2017 aluminum frames had a BB drop of 60mm and a BB height of 32.9.

According to the new charts, the current (and I assume all carbon and all 2018 aluminum) frames have a BB drop of 68mm and a BB height of 31.7. That's for the 18.5, 19.5, & 21.5 frames. The other frames sizes are slightly different, which is weird.

So that means the difference in BB height between the old and new geometries is 8mm, not huge, but certainly noticeable. I'm glad I went with an older frame for that reason alone.
    I've been thinking about getting a used aluminum Stache HT, and debating between "older vs. newer" versions regarding geometry differences. So, I've been trying to educate myself on what those differences are exactly. After re-reading this, and double-checking the info I had, I thought a clarification should be made for those interested. Thanks to bikeny for doing a lot of investigation.
    Aluminum Models:
    2016/17 BBH = 329mm / BBD = 60mm
    2018+ BBH = 317mm / BBD = 68mm
    Difference in BBH = 12mm (= 0.47")
    Difference in BBD = 8mm (=0.315")

Let me know if the clarification is incorrect.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Anyone selling XL carbon preferably 17í 9.6 - 9.8 thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by rete View Post

My 2018 29+ fork is said to be Debon Air. Iím not sure if youíre aware but there are two different air shafts both of which are called debon air. My fork had the first generation air spring assembly out of the factory. There was and probably still is a contradiction between trailhead list of upgrade kits and the sram spare parts catalogue. Phalkon30 had installed the Pike 27.5/29 air spring assembly of 2nd gen while I was using the yari/Lyrik spring that bespoke catalogue lists for 29+ pike. I had zero problems while phalkon30 said that he is not getting full travel right after upgrade. I should also mention that I installed two different air springs beside the factory supplied. One with 120 and one with 130mm of travel. Both times no problems with air equalisation and available travel. I conclude itís the Lyrik spring that 29+ Pikes should be fitted with, not the revelation / Pike spring.

mtbr member
    I've had some interest but it's still available.
    Medium Stache frame (perfect condition, low miles, barely ridden).
    $625.00

https://classifieds.mtbr.com/showpro...ame-only&cat=7

-JCB
    Last edited by Johnny Chicken Bones; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:20 AM.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Hello,

I've been looking at the Stache for a while. I am looking for something that would be a good bike for endurance rides and bike packing. I currently have a FS Stumpjumper and a Kona Honzo ST. The Honzo is SS and is a fun bike. I may have to sell the Honzo if I end up getting the Stache. I'm not sure if my wife could handle me having another bike.

I have a couple of questions.
    1. I'm 6'5" and the stack and reach are not real big. I wish Trek still made the XXL Stache. My Stumpjumper is an XXL. Any other tall riders like the XL Stache?
    2. New 2019 Stache 7 from a LBS or used 2018 Stache 9.7 on OfferUp? The 9 definitely has better specs. However, I have broken a bike before and I like having the warranty. Is carbon worth it? I've never had a carbon bike.
    3. Are the stock wheels that bad? After reading this thread it seems like that most replace the wheels. Do I need to factor a new wheelset into the equation?

Thanks for any advise you have.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Slyham View Post
    Hello,

I've been looking at the Stache for a while. I am looking for something that would be a good bike for endurance rides and bike packing. I currently have a FS Stumpjumper and a Kona Honzo ST. The Honzo is SS and is a fun bike. I may have to sell the Honzo if I end up getting the Stache. I'm not sure if my wife could handle me having another bike.

I have a couple of questions.
    1. I'm 6'5" and the stack and reach are not real big. I wish Trek still made the XXL Stache. My Stumpjumper is an XXL. Any other tall riders like the XL Stache?
    2. New 2019 Stache 7 from a LBS or used 2018 Stache 9.7 on OfferUp? The 9 definitely has better specs. However, I have broken a bike before and I like having the warranty. Is carbon worth it? I've never had a carbon bike.
    3. Are the stock wheels that bad? After reading this thread it seems like that most replace the wheels. Do I need to factor a new wheelset into the equation?

Thanks for any advise you have.
    1. I'm 6"4' and the XL feels great, very comfortable for how relatively short the wheelbase is. 34" inseam I think I have room on the seat post

2. As a tall guy I've broken 2 trek frames where the seat post hits the top tube, so warranty was important to me. My 9.7 has cracks forming in the same spot but has stayed as just paint cracks so far. Can't comment on used bike warranty, other than they may help you when the rear wheel fails if bought new. The pike is a great fork, honestly I don't think the carbon frame is a huge deal, I don't remember what else was upgraded

3. Budget for new wheels, I know a lot of stache owners locally that have blown up a hub or broken many spokes (myself included). Watch the stache Facebook group, if you're patient you can snag a carbon line pro 40 wheelset or custom set for under $600 if you have a few months. I waited till mine failed during race season and had to buy new, wish I hadn't

Do you plan on SS the stache? Go aluminum

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I'm 6'1" with a 35" inseam and the XL Stache is perfect. I can't imagine the XL being big enough for someone 6'5".

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I am absolutely in love with the 2020 Stache and plan to buy one soon. It's literally the perfect bike.

It will be a couple months before I am able to purchase however, and have a possibly unwarranted question. Does anyone know if Trek is having supply issues because of the coronavirus? I don't know how much stuff they get from China but if they are going to be running out of bikes I would try to purchase earlier if I can. Thanks in advance!

Live Free & Ride
    Been loving the bike this winter with a studded XR4 front and Cake Eater rear. Not the same "float" as my previous fat bike but much lighter and quicker on hard pack and ice! Looking forward to getting in back on dirt - which we have now in NH and more climbs in the mountains!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lets see your Stache official thread-2020-02-09-14.33.29-1.jpg  

Lets see your Stache official thread-2020-01-18-15.08.03.jpg  

Lets see your Stache official thread-2020-02-08-16.43.21.jpg  

19 FM 279 carbon gravel
    17 Stache 29+
    14 GT Zaskar 100 9r

mtbr member
    1. I'm 6"4' and the XL feels great, very comfortable for how relatively short the wheelbase is. 34" inseam I think I have room on the seat post

2. As a tall guy I've broken 2 trek frames where the seat post hits the top tube, so warranty was important to me. My 9.7 has cracks forming in the same spot but has stayed as just paint cracks so far. Can't comment on used bike warranty, other than they may help you when the rear wheel fails if bought new. The pike is a great fork, honestly I don't think the carbon frame is a huge deal, I don't remember what else was upgraded

3. Budget for new wheels, I know a lot of stache owners locally that have blown up a hub or broken many spokes (myself included). Watch the stache Facebook group, if you're patient you can snag a carbon line pro 40 wheelset or custom set for under $600 if you have a few months. I waited till mine failed during race season and had to buy new, wish I hadn't

Do you plan on SS the stache? Go aluminum

Thanks for the reply phalkon30. I'm not planning on running the Stache SS but I'm leaning toward the aluminum. I do like knowing how the bike was treated before I had it and I like the security of the warranty. I'm going to test ride it at the local bike shop this week or next. I know they have a set of Line Pro 40 in stock so I am going to see if I can get a deal on the bike with an upgraded wheelset. I'll see how badly they want to get it out of their inventory.

mtbr member
    I'm 6'1" with a 35" inseam and the XL Stache is perfect. I can't imagine the XL being big enough for someone 6'5".
    I'm going to test ride one to see how it feels. How long of a step are you running? How much rise do you have in the spacers, stem, and handlebars?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I'm going to test ride one to see how it feels. How long of a step are you running? How much rise do you have in the spacers, stem, and handlebars?
    Lets see your Stache official thread-img_20190614_142429971_hdr%7E3.jpg

I'm running 40mm rise SQLabs bars now (pictured with Deity CZ38s) with a 60mmx6deg rise stem and a few spacers. I like my bars an inch or so above the saddle.

The thing about it is... if you have a long inseam which I do (35") then I need to raise the bars up high to compensate for the tall saddle height.

The earlier fella who posted who was 6'4" with only 34" inseam...I would actually run lower bars with a longer ETT if I were that build because of the longer torso and shorter inseam...at least for the posture I seek on the bike. I do like a more trials'y upright stature for wheelie-drops and getting some airtime.

mtbr member

Name:	IMG_20190614_142429971_HDR~3.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	666.8 KB 
ID:	1316489

I'm running 40mm rise SQLabs bars now (pictured with Deity CZ38s) with a 60mmx6deg rise stem and a few spacers. I like my bars an inch or so above the saddle.

The thing about it is... if you have a long inseam which I do (35") then I need to raise the bars up high to compensate for the tall saddle height.

The earlier fella who posted who was 6'4" with only 34" inseam...I would actually run lower bars with a longer ETT if I were that build because of the longer torso and shorter inseam...at least for the posture I seek on the bike. I do like a more trials'y upright stature for wheelie-drops and getting some airtime.
    Nice looking Stache! I have a 36" inseam and I like my handlebars even with my saddle. I may want a similar set up as you with the seat a little higher. That may put the bars even with the saddle. Maybe a longer stem.

I'm going to give it the parking lot test and see how it feels.

Thanks for your set up and thoughts.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Thanks for the reply phalkon30. I'm not planning on running the Stache SS but I'm leaning toward the aluminum. I do like knowing how the bike was treated before I had it and I like the security of the warranty. I'm going to test ride it at the local bike shop this week or next. I know they have a set of Line Pro 40 in stock so I am going to see if I can get a deal on the bike with an upgraded wheelset. I'll see how badly they want to get it out of their inventory.
    Several people have been able to negotiate a deal swapping the line pros on day one, I think that's a good route!

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    It isnít ... Iíve had 2 ... maybe the carbon 2017 version that ran big .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Mar 2020
    Hi All,

I have spent some time over the last couple weeks reading this entire thread and I've signed up to join in the fun.

I have a stock 2013 7 that I've owned since it became available. It has been left unused for the last couple of years for various reasons but I recently hit the big 4-oh and decided to try and get back into riding.
    I was looking at going full squish but have decided to try and get better on my Stache whilst saving up.

I have a couple of questions about converting it to a 1x for no other reason than I want too but from what I can gather going to a 1x12 with the stock rear wheel is a no go but would I be able to go for a 1x11 without too much spend?

I am also planning to change the Elixr's as being 290lb they have a hard time stopping me!

Cheers

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by elnevera View Post
    Hi All,

I have spent some time over the last couple weeks reading this entire thread and I've signed up to join in the fun.

I have a stock 2013 7 that I've owned since it became available. It has been left unused for the last couple of years for various reasons but I recently hit the big 4-oh and decided to try and get back into riding.
    I was looking at going full squish but have decided to try and get better on my Stache whilst saving up.

I have a couple of questions about converting it to a 1x for no other reason than I want too but from what I can gather going to a 1x12 with the stock rear wheel is a no go but would I be able to go for a 1x11 without too much spend?

I am also planning to change the Elixr's as being 290lb they have a hard time stopping me!

Cheers
    The NX cassette will work on your rear wheel. You can go to 12 speed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    I just finished converting my 2014 Stache 8 to a 1x10 today. I changed the front ring to a OneUp 32T oval, used a Sunrace 11-46 10 sp. cassette and changed the rear derailleur to the M8000 11 sp. to handle the large ring in back. I had already upgraded the shifter to a Saint 10 sp. a couple of years ago.
    Brakes were also upgraded to TRP quadiems a couple years back, too. Overkill, perhaps, but no issues stopping. Rotors increased to 203mm and 180mm with metal pads on the fronts. If you found a good deal on a used set of TRPs, I would jump on them personally.

Minus the Saint shifter, my 1x10 conversion was around $150ish. Brakes will run you a bit no matter what. Bigger rotors and adapters may be the best bang for your buck, at just under $100.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Lets see your Stache official thread-20200327_175053.jpg

Just got the new Stache assembled today! Still a wee bit of snow around.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I am 5,10, 31.5 inseam, looking at the stache but wondering what would be a better fit between the 18.5 or 19.5 frame.
    I am looking for a cheap fun bike that I would use only when its muddy and wet (monster truck type of thing), I am looking at the roscoe as well.
    I cannot try the bike, there is no inventory anywhere close where I live.
    Thank you for your help.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by manteufel View Post
    I am 5,10, 31.5 inseam, looking at the stache but wondering what would be a better fit between the 18.5 or 19.5 frame.
    I am looking for a cheap fun bike that I would use only when its muddy and wet (monster truck type of thing), I am looking at the roscoe as well.
    I cannot try the bike, there is no inventory anywhere close where I live.
    Thank you for your help.
    Same height. 19.5 will work.. I rode both. More room on a 19.5. Easy to manual.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Members who have read this thread: 241