HiFi / Superfly 100 rear shock positioning- Mtbr.com
    No longer 26

HiFi / Superfly 100 rear shock positioning

Anyone flip around the rear shock on their HiFi's / Superfly 100's to get the levers out of the way of the bottle and make them more reachable while riding?

Notice any performance difference?

G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

Ride More, Work Less
    I had a similar thought. Would love to hear if it works.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    In for answer. I've read "somewhere" that it's possible and works, I just haven't tried it yet. I'd love to.

Is not amused
    Haven't done this but waiting to see responses. Also, I waited two months for the sideswipe water cage to not have this problem. Well worth the wait and the water bottle stays put for me if anyone was wondering. A lot of MTB frames have this problem when the rear shock is positioned parallel to the top tube. I think its a sick joke from the manufactures. Every time on my old bike I would get the water bottle out I would hit the PP lever or even worse the rebound knob. Worth checking the sideswipe cage from Bontrager. At least with this cage I don't have the said above problems. Bontrager: Satellite Elite Sideswipe Cage (Model #08242)

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I used the sideswipe on my Rumblefish (medium). On the Superfly 100 (size large), I drilled a Race Lite cage to make it lower on the downtube. It works OK, but I still flip the PP lever from time to time. On an older Procaliber, I flipped the shock so the lever was on top. It worked well. If there is clearance between the top tube and the propedal / rebound knob through the whole suspension stroke, then there is no reason it wouldn't work.

Ride More, Work Less
    Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    Haven't done this but waiting to see responses. Also, I waited two months for the sideswipe water cage to not have this problem. Well worth the wait and the water bottle stays put for me if anyone was wondering. A lot of MTB frames have this problem when the rear shock is positioned parallel to the top tube. I think its a sick joke from the manufactures. Every time on my old bike I would get the water bottle out I would hit the PP lever or even worse the rebound knob. Worth checking the sideswipe cage from Bontrager. At least with this cage I don't have the said above problems. Bontrager: Satellite Elite Sideswipe Cage (Model #08242)
    re: sideswipe--It's all good if you are right handed

Is not amused
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    That is something I can't help you with. It would be better for a left entry due to less shifting on that side but that would be too smart. Like I said above some people (R&D) just want to watch the world burn.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    If you are left handed a standard cage would probably work fine - you may flip your PP lever on, but that doesn't seem to be a problem.
    I checked on my ride home and it doesn't feel like there is room to rotate the shock with the lever on top - at least not with out also swapping the shock end to end.

I hate that name.
    I've used standard tubular metal cages on my RFs and SF100 without any bottle removal issues.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

Ride More, Work Less
    I have tried two regular cages (one borrowed from my wife's bike--didn't go over well-- and one I bought while hearing my wife say your bike didn't come with one more than once, but I digress). Using both, my hand hits the shock when I pull the water bottle out. I did fix a roughly cut brake zip tie that was cutting my hand, so now all it is is an bump to the hand. Really no bother.
    Craigslist & MTBR --free ads for all

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I use one of those plastic race lite cages with no issues, but you have to grab left handed. That way you can accidentally turn the PP off getting the bottle, but then you will turn it back on again putting it in

No longer 26
    Quote Originally Posted by kdiddy View Post
    I used the sideswipe on my Rumblefish (medium). On the Superfly 100 (size large), I drilled a Race Lite cage to make it lower on the downtube. It works OK, but I still flip the PP lever from time to time. On an older Procaliber, I flipped the shock so the lever was on top. It worked well. If there is clearance between the top tube and the propedal / rebound knob through the whole suspension stroke, then there is no reason it wouldn't work.
    I flipped it on my Supercaliber too but the "can" still stayed toward the top mount. Not enough room on the HiFi to put the levers on top in that position.

On the HiFi it would have to be flipped end to end. I am curious if there is any problem with the "can" being lower than the shaft (ie seal issues etc.)

G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

Members who have read this thread: 0