Hayes or Avid for the Fuel?- Mtbr.com
    Virus

Hayes or Avid for the Fuel?

So, I'm going to be building up another bike (most likely a Liquid), and I intend to put disc brakes on it. I've got Hayes hydros on the Fuel now, but I'm thinking I'll get Avid Mechs for the next set of discs. Here's my question: should I put the Avids on the Liquid or on the Fuel and use the Hayes for the Liquid? Which would have better performance for a "trail" bike, I guess is what I'm getting at?

Does anyone use the Avid Mechs on their Fuel now? What do you think of them? Any issues of vibrations or noise from them as with the Hayes from the '01 Fuels?

mtbr member
    I am running the Avid's on my 03 Fuel 80. For a trail bike I would have to say the Avid's are a must since they can take more abuse and reqiure less maintenance. As far as noise goes mine are pretty much silient I do get a bird chirp from them every now and then from frame flex when not braking but under braking they are nice and silient.

jcw
    Ride your bicycle(s)!

Agree with Murchman...

Quote Originally Posted by Murchman
    I am running the Avid's on my 03 Fuel 80. For a trail bike I would have to say the Avid's are a must since they can take more abuse and reqiure less maintenance. As far as noise goes mine are pretty much silient I do get a bird chirp from them every now and then from frame flex when not braking but under braking they are nice and silient.
    I have not owned the Avids, but as a mechanic I sure love to work on them. They are so easy to adjust. Both will have plenty of power, but I'm guessing that Hayes have a bit of an edge in modulation, and Avids have the edge in simplicity and noise (or lack thereof). And, nice avitar btw.
    "The question before the human race is, whether the God of nature shall govern the world by his own laws, or whether priests and kings shall rule by fictitious miracles."
    John Adams to Thomas Jefferson, 1815

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Have you got a pic of the bikes. Would be nice to see how they look.

Virus
    Quote Originally Posted by KleinDipshit
    Have you got a pic of the bikes. Would be nice to see how they look.

What? What does that have to do with whether or not I should run Avid discs on my Fuel or not?

Oh, I see! You doubt I actually ride!! Well, KleinDork, I ride pretty much exclusively off the road. Not like you. It's why I bought a mountain bike in the first place.

In any case, I'm not posting a picture for you. So, now that I didn't post the picture, you're going to come back with the big "You don't have a picture because you don't have the bike" comeback, aren't you? Well, I'll be waiting.
    [Insert witty signature here]

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The Avids would look good on your new project Spaz.

Thans for the sneak preview.
    At least the geometry looks ok for u now. All you now need are the side bags.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaz
    So, I'm going to be building up another bike (most likely a Liquid), and I intend to put disc brakes on it. I've got Hayes hydros on the Fuel now, but I'm thinking I'll get Avid Mechs for the next set of discs. Here's my question: should I put the Avids on the Liquid or on the Fuel and use the Hayes for the Liquid? Which would have better performance for a "trail" bike, I guess is what I'm getting at?

Does anyone use the Avid Mechs on their Fuel now? What do you think of them? Any issues of vibrations or noise from them as with the Hayes from the '01 Fuels?

do you guys use hope out there in the us

i know this isnt what you asked but imo they are pretty formidable yeah sure some people set em up and they "squeel like a pig" but ive not had any probs and the front sometime gives me a scare i think its too much

just thought id throw that in my partner (read girlfriend i got her avid mechs for here bike and they are good in the respect that i never have to look at em(no maintenance) and they seem to stop ok even with my fat ass on it

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Wink

I have a trek liquid with hayes hydros and they are simply awesome! I also tried the avid mechanicals and they are great, but do not have the same modulation or bite that my hayes do. I would reccommend u put the hayes hydros on the liquid as u would be going bigger than with the fuel and at those times its great to have that extra stopping power.

Virus
    Quote Originally Posted by mikedesign
    do you guys use hope out there in the us
    I don't know of anyone using the Hopes, but I'm sure people do. I seem to remember them getting a fair amount of feedback on the old boards. It might be a consideration, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mozo
    I have a trek liquid with hayes hydros and they are simply awesome! I also tried the avid mechanicals and they are great, but do not have the same modulation or bite that my hayes do. I would reccommend u put the hayes hydros on the liquid as u would be going bigger than with the fuel and at those times its great to have that extra stopping power.
    See, that's what I was thinking. For a "trail" bike, I thought I might want the Hayes, but with them already on the Fuel, I thought it might be a silly idea to pull them off.
    [Insert witty signature here]