Have you changed your stem length on your new Fuel EX?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Have you changed your stem length on your new Fuel EX?

I am curious who has shortened or lengthened their stem on their new Fuel EX. I personally have the 21.5 frame and it has the stock 120mm. I am thinking I might need to shorten it 10-20mm. I don't know if it is just a new bike, but it seems I might need a little more bend in my arms. What has everyone else done?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    It really depends on fit and preference for how you change the stem. For example, I just got a 15.5 EX. The TT is 55.3 and comes stock with a 90mm stem. The overall length I usually prefer (based on my best fitting bike) is 56.5 + 100mm stem. So I swapped the 90mm stem for a 110mm stem to give me roughly the same reach. But handlebar rise/sweep differences etc can affect the feel and reach, so I am using this length as a starting point and will change the stems length and rise as needed. But like I said originally, it really depends on each individual for the stems proper length and rise. Assuming the frames TT is within the range that fits you, you can experiment with different stems and saddle positions to find the combination that works best for you.

ipr

Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by snydaMtb
    It really depends on fit and preference for how you change the stem. For example, I just got a 15.5 EX.
    Sorry to butt in, but would you mind telling me how tall you are? I have a 15.5 on order and am a bit fidgetty about whether I ordered the right size. It's only weeks until it arrives... thanks in advance.

My other Auto is a .45
    I purchased a new EX 7 and I am 6'2" (21.5") and I am thinking about shortening up the stem also. I am in a toss up between a 90mm and 100mm. I am in agreement that my arms feel as if they need a little bit more bend.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

small

Quote Originally Posted by ipr
    Sorry to butt in, but would you mind telling me how tall you are? I have a 15.5 on order and am a bit fidgetty about whether I ordered the right size. It's only weeks until it arrives... thanks in advance.
    I'm just a little guy at 5'4". I have shorter legs but a fairly normal reach. The 15.5 fits me really well. There is plenty of seatpost left in my 15.5

mtbr member
    May 2007
    i was going to swap my 120mm out for a 100 or 110 when i bought the bike, but i figured i might as well try it out. I've got the 21.5" frame and im 6'6". although i dont like how the long stem makes the bike handle in turns (and how it shifts my CG forward, but i got used to that quickly) it feels really good when im doing any climbing. no more lower back pain like i was having with my old specialized either, but that was also a super stiff HT, which probably contributed. In the near future, I'd like to test out a few shorter stems, but for now im happy with the 120. perhaps get a 60 or 80mm to put on for DH races

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by snydaMtb
    I'm just a little guy at 5'4". I have shorter legs but a fairly normal reach. The 15.5 fits me really well. There is plenty of seatpost left in my 15.5
    another little guy here, 5' 5.5" (30.5" inseam) riding a 15.5". i switched out the stock 90 mm stem for a 110 mm with 0 deg rise, and i cut off about 1/2" on each side of the Bonty bar. saddle is all the way back on a straight Thomson post (probably equivalent to centered on the stock Bonty post). This puts the front of my kneecap just slightly behind the pedal axle. Overall, i feel perfectly centered on the bike, i can shift my weight forward or backward with ease to get over/around obstacles on singletrack. a 16" frame with same geometry would probably be perfect for me, but 17.5" looks too big for my stature.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

small frame

Not sure if this will help anyone, but here is a picture of my 15.5 with a 110mm stem.

EX9_155.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    My observation seems that most people that came from shorter top tube bikes previously have moved to shorter stems and people with longer TT bikes previously have moved to longer stems. Personally, I did some positioning with my saddle last night and found that it needed to come forward. Once I made this adjustment it was very close (1/4 inch) in reach to my old Santa Cruz Blur. The main difference was that I didn't have to use a set back seat post like I do on my Santa Cruz to get the correct pedal stroke. One other thing I found that interesting was my Santa Cruz Blur has a 71 degree head tube angle and if you compare where the handle bars are in relationship to the front of the tire my new bike at 69 degree actually has the front wheel kicked out almost 2 inches further off the front of the handlears. Definitely much better on descents!

Members who have read this thread: 0