Gary Fisher Model Choice (Need Advice)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Smile Gary Fisher Model Choice (Need Advice)

First, thank you to all who can help me make a good decision based on my two choices listed below.

My local bike shop, of which I have dealt with before and do respect their dealings with me and their advice, have offered two choices for me. I am in the market to buy a hardtail and have narrowed it down to two choices they have offered me.

I am looking at either a Gary Fisher Ziggurat 2004 model or a Gary Fisher Paragon 2002 model.

The 2004 Ziggurat's specs are:
    http://www.fisherbikes.com/bikes/fu...s&bike=Ziggurat

The 2002 Paragon's specs are:
    http://www.fisherbikes.com/archive/...ragon&year=2002

The Ziggurat I would leave pretty much 'stock' as the dealer price would be aproximately $1500.00.

The Paragon's price would be approximately $1600.00 that would include the following upgrades (which stock is less in standards to the Ziggurat):
    Upgrades to the Paragon would be:
    SRAM 9.0 Trigger Shifters
    SRAM 9.0 Rear Derrailer
    Avid SD-7 Brakes/Levers
    Cane Creek S2 Aheadset
    Bontrager Race Stem
    XT-Crankset
    Rock Shox Duke Race
    Time Alium Pedals

For my situation, I'm looking for the best bang for the buck. The 2002 Paragon is the same frame as the 2004 Ziggurat, however, I was under the impression that the older frame plus the upgrades would be 'less' than the current model (which has comprable components all around).

I do trust my local bike shop, but would rather also get an opinion from the more experience folks on this forum.

Thank you and again, I appreciate your input.

Regards,
    yobdlog
    [email protected]

mtbr member
    if the paragon is a new model then your upgrade path seems like a better deal. you might even like some of the stock components enough to keep them. are you factoring in the selling of the parts off the paragon in your ultimate price for it? that could be a big deciding factor. the new x.9 triggers seem to be getting really good reviews by people using them and will definately give you more options than the new xt stuff. go for the older paragon if its new, if not then go ahead and get the ziggurat.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FuelFan90
    if the paragon is a new model then your upgrade path seems like a better deal. you might even like some of the stock components enough to keep them. are you factoring in the selling of the parts off the paragon in your ultimate price for it? that could be a big deciding factor. the new x.9 triggers seem to be getting really good reviews by people using them and will definately give you more options than the new xt stuff. go for the older paragon if its new, if not then go ahead and get the ziggurat.
    The Paragon is new and the upgraded components are included in that deal (the LBS will upgrade them for me).

That is what I'm trying to figure out if the total cost is a 'good deal' in comparison to the 2004 Ziggurat.

Thank you for your reply.

mtbr member
    I would lean towards the new stock one as it will be cheaper about the same components but also gives you the option of going tubeless if you would like too.

Something goes here...

Old Paragon owner here...

I have a '92 Paragon that I turned into a sort of road bike. She's seen a lot of tough days and she's been beat a few times. She still comes back for more. I would go with the Paragon as the components set up is a little nicer.

If you're spending $1600, are you sure you can't find a 2003 Sugar somewhere? I have a 2000 Sugar that I bought when they were trying to clean house to make way for the 2001's. I got an incredible deal. It was only $1000. So I'd shop around a little bit more. If you do find one, maybe your shop will even price match. How great would that be?!
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder

I find myself enjoying gravel more and more lately...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_FLMB
    I have a '92 Paragon that I turned into a sort of road bike. She's seen a lot of tough days and she's been beat a few times. She still comes back for more. I would go with the Paragon as the components set up is a little nicer.

If you're spending $1600, are you sure you can't find a 2003 Sugar somewhere? I have a 2000 Sugar that I bought when they were trying to clean house to make way for the 2001's. I got an incredible deal. It was only $1000. So I'd shop around a little bit more. If you do find one, maybe your shop will even price match. How great would that be?!
    I'm actually purposely avoidng the FS route for my bike. Reason being is that I'll be doing a lot more racing this year and plenty of XC training for a vacation and enduro trek that I will do across Central America. I'm looking for a hi-end hardtail that has accessible components and less hassle in case of troubles in remote areas, so I'm sticking to the less is best principle but want quality, durable, and dependable options. Thanks to the MTBR I have had plenty of information to base research on.

I have learned one thing already by a gracious person on this forum, the Ziggurat's XT brake/shifter package are all in one. You hose a piece of it and the whole thing needs to be replaced and its not cheap. The SRAM Lever/Shifters are separate and cheaper to replace, so already thats another good point for the Paragon idea.

I've found this out so far (again thanks to the MTB), the Rock Shox Duke Race is more reliable user adjustable than the Manitou Elite and there is more of a distribution of Rock Shox in Central America (which is key if I need help with it).

Thanks and keep the suggestions coming, I didn't realize how finite some of the XT vs. SRAM series was.

Dec 2003
    I'd do the paragon over the ziggurat, the main reason being the shifters. The new Sram stuff is just great, and I don't really like the new shimano stuff. Also, the time pedals are pretty kickin. I guess I'm just a little partial to paragons, I love mine. I don't really like the paint on the 04 fishers anyway. Just my 2 cents.

Jan 2004
    I'm the guy who posted the review for the Ziggurat. I've had it for about a month now and LOVE it. I don't care what anyone says about the new all-in-one shiters/brake levers, they are awesome. Just set them up so that they lean downward a little more then you would think to and down shift by putting your fingers under the lever and pushing up. I have never accidently shifted while trying to brake or vice-versa. The rest of the componets are great as well. The hollowtech XT crank is super light and plenty stiff for any XC riding. The rapid-rise rear XT shifts super smooth too.

Overall I would go with the Ziggurat because of all the new technology in the componets. Plus, the Manitou Skaerb Comp is a lot nicer than the Rock Shox Duke in my opinion. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions about the Ziggs.

Brandon.

mtbr member

... and if we just ... My Final Choice

Well I made my choice and thankfully it worked out quite well for both parties.

I'm going with the Paragon frame and getting some good upgrade/swaps in the process.

Ultimately I end up with:
    X.9 Triggers/Rear Derailler
    '04 XT Crankset w/ Built In BB
    Avid-SD-7 brakes
    Time Alium Pedals
    Rock Shox Duke SL-U Turn
    Tubeless Compatible wheels
    Bontrager Race Lite Componentry for Stem/Bar/Seatpost

And the great part is that I negotiated down an additional $200.00 bucks when I sat down with the manager of the shop and went over each and every single little component down to the cables themselves to see how to cut the cost even lower. After a two hour session with him, we both came out happy.

I don't think I went through this much negotation process when I bought my car?!

I'm very excited as I haven't done any serious MTB'ing since '93. I can't wait til next year when I'm sure I'll be buying a FS bike.

Thank you for your opinions and advice!