• 11-11-2012
    stevelei
    Fast wearing DU bushing on a 2012 Superfly 100
    Hey, thanks for the feedback. Spoke with FOX and also looking into a needle bearing upgrade. Will also start keeping accurate maintenance records of my bikes. According to some people I spoke to agree depending on suspension design, conditions and frequent usage it is not out of the question that some bikes regardless of manufacturer will experience quicker DU wear.
    Don't recall when I replaced the DU on my two older fulls but didn't recall them wearing as quickly or doing another DU replacement shortly after one has been put in. But who knows!

Thanks!!
  • 11-11-2012
    AlexRandall
    I had a few DU bushes go on my Yeti's, so its not an issue that is brand specific.

The wear can be quite irregular too. Lots of muddy conditions could quite possibly lead to accelerated wear.
  • 11-11-2012
    ptbo_mac
    I find there is a difference from one DU bushing to another. I have some last 6months and others 2months. There cheap and easy to replace, I keep a couple sets on hand.
    Mac
  • 11-11-2012
    stevelei
  • 11-12-2012
    dlennard
    My 2010 Superfly 100 goes through them every couple months in dry conditions. I did shim the space where they mount in the linkage with some thin aluminum and it seamed to help. I just replaced the aluminum spacers for the second time which should help. There is also a new du bushing design out from fox that I am going to try and is suppose to last 10 times as long as the du and needs no special tools to instal. You have to call Fox to order and get part numbers.
  • 11-12-2012
    SlowMTBer
    I was seeing high wear (and bolts that kept working loose) on my Rumblefish. I replaced the bushings with a needle bearing kit from here:

RWC SHOCK EYE NEEDLE BEARING KITS
  • 11-13-2012
    mojopin
    Could you describe what you are seeing regarding DU wear? I have a superfly pro AL making a clunking sound and wondering if it's the bushings? Did fox say which needle bearing kit would fit? Seems a lot of the hifi/superfly line don't have direct replacements from real world cycling. Curious what they're recommending.
  • 11-14-2012
    Revolution Bicycles
  • 11-14-2012
    stevelei
    Mojopin

Pick up the bike by the back of the saddle gently tap the back wheel to the ground repeat a couple of times you should feel the knocking if not then it's something else. If you haven't replaced the original DU good chances it's that. Start with replacing the lower DU first(or both while you are at it). Also without really lifting the bike place your finger by the lower eyelet around the linkage reducers of the shock, lift slightly you should be able feel the play that way as well.

Originally I spoke with Enduro Bearings about a needle bearing upgrade but they don't have anything for the Fly's. Spoke with them a few months later they said they were considering it since this a popular model. Haven't followed up with them yet. Left a message for RWC which I'm not certain may be the same product or company.
    Spoke with FOX they are recommending their new polymer DU which they claim will last longer. If no needle bearing upgrade is available when I exhaust my supply of DU's I'll give the new FOX polymers a shot.