Drive-train Problems on EX8- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Drive-train Problems on EX8

Hey all...this may be a better thread for the Shimano no-it-alls, but since the bike is an EX8 I figured I'd ask y'all about the issues I'm having to see what you think. It's an '11 EX8, so the components are all SLX group. Here's the issues:

1. On yesterday's ride I noticed that in my low gears while in the middle ring the chain was sliding against the inside wall of the front der. I figured this was possibly due to a cable tension problem, so a simple twist of the cable by the shifters seemed to alleviate the rubbing. All this did, however, was create a chain rubbing problem in the highest gears. If I'm in the highest gears of the middle chainring the chain rubs against the outside wall of the front der. I wasn't able to get it adjusted to any point where the chain wouldn't rub against one of the front der. walls at some point in the gearing.

2. While I didn't notice it on my ride, after I was home and cleaning up the bike and giving it the once over that I usually do to make sure nothing's broken or missing, while the bike is on the stand and I shift into the high gears of the cassette it honestly sounds like someone threw a small metal fragment in there and it's just grinding all over the place. I thought it was weird I didn't hear this on the trail. I was in those gears plenty while climbing. I'm not mech savy by any means, but I can do many of the little things. My inspection of the moving parts didn't yield any results. I didn't see anything working improperly.

I think this calls for a trip to the LBS. I was just wondering what you guys thought this could be, and how to fix it.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    You will probably get more answers in the drivetrain section.

#1 Is addressed in the install sheet from Shimano under the general safety information. http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830726405.PDF

#2 Is most likely the chain running at an angle with dirt between the plates and rollers causing the grinding sound.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    when you sit on a full suspension bike, the FD also moves. It's quite possible that when you sit on the bike, the rubbing is less than when you have it on the stand. Cable tension is part of fixing the rubbing, but proper alignment of the FD cage is the first thing to fix. Depending on how much time you have, this is something you can fix yourself. It can be a bit challenging to get 0 rub in all gears, but pretty easy to only get a little in the cross chained gears that you shouldn't be riding in anyway. Watch some videos on how to adjust a FD, and go for it! The worst that can happen is you learn something about your bike, can't fix it, and take it to the LBS anyway.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

check for

the height of the front derailuer on the seat tube. When the outter cage of the der swings over the big ring in front, the bottom edge of the der should be no more than 1/8 inch above the largest tooth( some are worn, and some not as much). The inner sides of the front der are shaped at an angle so that the chain is pushed at different heights for the two different shifts it must perform. i you look, you will see what I mean. Also make sure the outter cage is on the same exact plane as the outter chainring. After this adjust the limit screws. When adjusting, low, shift low in back. When adjusting high, high in back. Big-Small. Adjust the limit with the cable detached. Attach cable and adjust tension as needed.

mtbr member
    I too have a 2011 EX8. As LBS mech was setting bike up, he told me that there was some minor rubbing in middle ring with 36 & 32 cog. I noticed it within first 30 miles or so. Has since seemed to subside. He said new 10 speed is difficult to set up and keep from rubbing. Either way, I love having 36 there if you need it. Bike is super fast. Very pleased with SLX 10 speed.

Members who have read this thread: 0