Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

DPX2 for 17/18 Fuel EX?

I know that jspec29 has installed a 210 x 55 mm DPX2 on his Fuel EX with good results, but I thought this was worth a separate thread, since Fox is now apparently offering a stock-sized 210 x 52.5 mm version specifically for the Fuel EX:

Explore DPX2 Bike Shocks | FOX

Thoughts?
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    You guys trying to bankrupt me!?

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by not2shabby View Post
    You guys trying to bankrupt me!?
    Do it

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I've got one coming my way. Out of town for a week, so won't be able to install until the 20th.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    I've got one coming my way. Out of town for a week, so won't be able to install until the 20th.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Will it make you miss the 2016 Fuel EX any less?

SS in CO
    question about frame clearance on these:

if my frame (17 FEX 9) doesn't have the divot/indent at the bottom of the down-tube, will this not work?

J.
    are you a bike shop owner? or a custom builder? I want to talk to you about your website

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayson44 View Post
    question about frame clearance on these:

if my frame (17 FEX 9) doesn't have the divot/indent at the bottom of the down-tube, will this not work?

J.
    Not sure, but will report back after install.

FWIW, Fox IS listing this shock as being specifically for the Fuel EX, so thinking we're good on clearance.

Fingers crossed!

SS in CO
    I did talk to a Trek tech rep online and they said that the dimple was not needed for the piggy-back and that the dpx2 will fit just fine on all FEX frames 17+

J.
    are you a bike shop owner? or a custom builder? I want to talk to you about your website

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I did talk to a Trek tech rep online and they said that the dimple was not needed for the piggy-back and that the dpx2 will fit just fine on all FEX frames 17+

J.

What would be the benefit of the dpx2?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Update: Recieved DPX2 shock "kit" for the Fuel EX. It appears to contain all the bushings, o-rings, etc. needed to mount the shock, but does not include an upper or lower mounting bolt and nut of any kind.

Since the OEM unit from my FEX 9.9 is a trunion-mount, through-shaft unit, the stock mounting bolts will not work.

Trying to run this down. Stay tuned......

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Update: Recieved DPX2 shock "kit" for the Fuel EX. It appears to contain all the bushings, o-rings, etc. needed to mount the shock, but does not include an upper or lower mounting bolt and nut of any kind.

Since the OEM unit from my FEX 9.9 is a trunion-mount, through-shaft unit, the stock mounting bolts will not work.

Trying to run this down. Stay tuned......
    2018 has a trunion mount?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jpec29 View Post
    2018 has a trunion mount?

I think that is what they call it. In any event, there are no "through bolts" used to mount the shock. A short bolt threads in from each side directly into the shock body on top, and directly into the lower shock yolk on the bottom, for a total of four short bolts.

So I just need two through-bolts and nuts. Between my LBS, Trek, Fox, Fastenal and the local Ace Hardware store, I should be up and running in a few days.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I think that is what they call it. In any event, there are no "through bolts" used to mount the shock. A short bolt threads in from each side directly into the shock body on top, and directly into the lower shock yolk on the bottom, for a total of four short bolts.

So I just need two through-bolts and nuts. Between my LBS, Trek, Fox, Fastenal and the local Ace Hardware store, I should be up and running in a few days.
    Interesting didn't know the 18's had trunnion mount shock. My 17 had a standard metric shock.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Interesting didn't know the 18's had trunnion mount shock. My 17 had a standard metric shock.

I think your top is trunion mount style but your bottom is standard through-bolt. Don't your top shock bolts thread into the shock body itself?

My 18 9.9 is trunion style top and bottom, because of the new through-shaft shock design.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    OK, got a little clarity on the fit issue with a trip to the LBS.

The stock 9.8 upper shock bolt will work perfectly, so that's on the way from Trek.

The lower bolt from the 9.8 will not work, because it is 8 mm o.d., and the "ears" on my 9.9's swingarm have 10 mm holes, to allow for the two lower mounting bolts that the fancy through-shaft shock uses.

So, a trip to the local hardware store for a nut and bolt, along with some minor machining, and it cost me all of $4 and 15 minutes of shop time to fab up my own lower mounting bolt.

Getting closer!

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    OK, got a little clarity on the fit issue with a trip to the LBS.

The stock 9.8 upper shock bolt will work perfectly, so that's on the way from Trek.

The lower bolt from the 9.8 will not work, because it is 8 mm o.d., and the "ears" on my 9.9's swingarm have 10 mm holes, to allow for the two lower mounting bolts that the fancy through-shaft shock uses.

So, a trip to the local hardware store for a nut and bolt, along with some minor machining, and it cost me all of $4 and 15 minutes of shop time to fab up my own lower mounting bolt.

Getting closer!
    pls update.. maybe i will upgrade too.

but.. whats wrong, fox offer a new shock especially for the fuel ex but no bolts?

ill ride my ex with 220 psi, green token (one size before the biggest token) and trail mode. 80kg, quite happy at all.

could be a bit more traction on fast straights though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    FIRST RIDE UPDATE:

Very impressive. This is a shock that Fox should be VERY proud to put its name on.

It just feels like it has smoother, more refined damping. Pedals very well, and flows through chunk with a glued to the ground feeling.

I suppose that's what you get with the bigger internals that a reservoir makes room for.

The only minor downside I can find is that I gained a trivial 140 grams. Sadly, I doubt I'll have the opportunity to ride it again for at least three weeks, but as of now, it's a no-brainer keeper!

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    FIRST RIDE UPDATE:

Very impressive. This is a shock that Fox should be VERY proud to put its name on.

It just feels like it has smoother, more refined damping. Pedals very well, and flows through chunk with a glued to the ground feeling.

I suppose that's what you get with the bigger internals that a reservoir makes room for.

The only minor downside I can find is that I gained a trivial 140 grams. Sadly, I doubt I'll have the opportunity to ride it again for at least three weeks, but as of now, it's a no-brainer keeper!
    where did you test it? I just got back from syncline again, shock totally changed bike. 2.6 xr4 are sweet to if its not muddy

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    where did you test it? I just got back from syncline again, shock totally changed bike. 2.6 xr4 are sweet to if its not muddy

I ran out to Echo and rode every inch of trail on each side of the road. Not as chunky as the Syncline, for sure, but enough of a test to feel the love right from the get go.

This shock has so much more sophistication in terms of separate high and low-speed control of both compression and rebound. I'm truly amazed.

Now it just has to pass the test of time, since I'm the known Destroyer Of Shocks.

I'm holding off on the 2.6s until just before a mid-April Moab trip, so that they are as fresh as possible!

How was the mud factor at Syncline? I may run over there tomorrow, though I really hate mud.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I ran out to Echo and rode every inch of trail on each side of the road. Not as chunky as the Syncline, for sure, but enough of a test to feel the love right from the get go.

This shock has so much more sophistication in terms of separate high and low-speed control of both compression and rebound. I'm truly amazed.

Now it just has to pass the test of time, since I'm the known Destroyer Of Shocks.

I'm holding off on the 2.6s until just before a mid-April Moab trip, so that they are as fresh as possible!

How was the mud factor at Syncline? I may run over there tomorrow, though I really hate mud.
    I got there early when it was frozen. Thawed and got muddy then seemed to dry out. I would hit it later in day when it dries. Nice haven't rode echo in few years.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    DPX2 for 17/18 Fuel EX?-dsc_1072.jpgDPX2 for 17/18 Fuel EX?-dsc_1069.jpgDPX2 for 17/18 Fuel EX?-dsc_1017.jpgDPX2 for 17/18 Fuel EX?-dsc_1013.jpgDPX2 for 17/18 Fuel EX?-dsc_1036%7E2.jpg

Trek fuel ex 7 ! with the included hardware, and if you have the appropriate tools, it installs in 10 minutes. it's a big difference with the oem fox float dps evo l , initial sensitivity is very high, finding great traction !!!!I don't know if compared to the reaktiv it's worth it because I haven't tried it. My weight is 69 kg, (73kg with all the equipment).... 30sag,(15mm), 188psi works perfect with the stock volumen reducers; small bumps disappear and big hits don't blow the O-ring off the end of the shock. Also less pedal strikes with mino link in low position. (Fork 140mm travel, 25% sag).
    I really recommend it, a great product

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    ^^^ Could not agree more with all those observations.

If you have any model other than the 9.9, installation is a snap, using stock shock bolts. I installed the pivot hardware using a vise and sockets as a poor man's "press". Easy peasy.

For my 9.9 I ended up using a stock 9.8 upper shock bolt on top, then took another of the same, shortened it 10 mm, tapped the threads about 7 mm deeper, and it worked perfectly as a lower bolt.

Now the rain needs to quit, so I can ride it again!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Any further updates or insights or impressions about the shock? I'm struggling to get the Reaktiv to perform the way I want it to, and the DPX2 is sounding pretty great.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    ^^^ Stay tuned. Sneaking out for a 3 hour tour later today, on somewhat more rugged trails. Ride 2, while short, indicated that this shock is "all that and a bag of chips".

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I've got 10 solid hours on it so far, so here is the report:

1. The damping is very refined feeling. It tracks chunk smoothly -- and quietly -- but feels like it has a great pedaling platform. The bike feels snappy. I guess this is what Fox can do when they make everything a bit bigger, since the reservoir frees up some room inside the shock body.

2. It came with a 0.6 volume reducer installed. When I set it for 30% sag, I was only using ~45 mm of the available 52 mm of travel. I installed a 0.2 reducer, and have used 48 mm of travel on the last two rides. I'll let it break in for a few more hours before pulling the spacer altogether, and giving that a whirl. Note that our truly chunky moto trails haven't really opened yet, so I might be in the right spot with the 0.2 spacer already.

All in all, a very worthwhile upgrade, IMO. It is cool that Fox now has a "kit" with this shock and spacers specifically tuned for the Fuel EX.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Wow. What an upgrade.

Let me preface this by saying that my stock re:aktiv was probably broken. There has been a clunk in the rear end for months. I replace rear wheel bearings, then I did main pivot, still clunking. Then the stock shock started makes alarming squishing noises and lockout stopped working. I decided to grab the DPX2.

Totally silent. Tracks like no ones business. Turned the 9.7 into the bike I had hoped for. Even at 30% sag, the bike pedals well in trail mode. Could not be happier. Except for the cost. Oh well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by drjos View Post
    Wow. What an upgrade.

Let me preface this by saying that my stock re:aktiv was probably broken. There has been a clunk in the rear end for months. I replace rear wheel bearings, then I did main pivot, still clunking. Then the stock shock started makes alarming squishing noises and lockout stopped working. I decided to grab the DPX2.

Totally silent. Tracks like no ones business. Turned the 9.7 into the bike I had hoped for. Even at 30% sag, the bike pedals well in trail mode. Could not be happier. Except for the cost. Oh well.

sounds great guys. was thinking for an upgrade too. but if iam honest, the re:aktiv is great for me. i run 220 psi with 77kg naked. second spacer, always trail mode. tracking is good, still poppy, needs to be ridden aggressivly. if not, it sucks.

i have more problems with the fork, on faster hits the tracking is terrible. i have 95-100 psi, 2 tokens and light compression. fox 34 rhythm 130mm.
    yesterday we rode the trails in race-mode for training, bottom out every compression, very aggressive riding. bike feels so amazing in corners and body movement is perfect on it. just love it. only the fork is limited.

iam very fit, so uphill is just hammering, 1200g tyres easy steezy. what i want to say is.. dont wont to give up much uphill geo with the 140mm fork.

what forks do you guys ride? are the 140mm that much difference?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    DPX2 is great, as drjos notes. As far as your fork, darsann, try another token and a bit more compression damping.

But let's keep this thread focussed on the DPX2, please.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I've got 10 solid hours on it so far, so here is the report:

1. The damping is very refined feeling. It tracks chunk smoothly -- and quietly -- but feels like it has a great pedaling platform. The bike feels snappy. I guess this is what Fox can do when they make everything a bit bigger, since the reservoir frees up some room inside the shock body.

2. It came with a 0.6 volume reducer installed. When I set it for 30% sag, I was only using ~45 mm of the available 52 mm of travel. I installed a 0.2 reducer, and have used 48 mm of travel on the last two rides. I'll let it break in for a few more hours before pulling the spacer altogether, and giving that a whirl. Note that our truly chunky moto trails haven't really opened yet, so I might be in the right spot with the 0.2 spacer already.

All in all, a very worthwhile upgrade, IMO. It is cool that Fox now has a "kit" with this shock and spacers specifically tuned for the Fuel EX.
    Thanks for the excellent update! I'm going to keep fiddling around with the re:aktiv for now, because I'm pretty sure I can get it to work a bit better with a more scientific approach to tuning it, but when the cash is available I expect I'll be picking up a DPX2. I went from a 160mm 26" "enduro" machine to the Fuel, and apparently I really miss the way I could monster truck rough sections of trail on that thing. It's frustrating because the Fuel feels like it could be incredibly capable if it was set up properly. I'm 220lbs with gear and water, survive the climbs to hammer the descents, and if the few voices on this forum are to be believed (and I do see their point), Trek didn't suspend this frame with me in mind. Fortunately I've got a set of Saints on the way, so at least the stopping will be taken care of...

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    My buddy has a 2017 9.8 FEX and was considering this shock. He's got his Pike set up at 150mm. Should he get the 210x52.5 DPX2 for 130mm of travel or should he go for the 210x55 for closer to 140mm of travel to match the 150mm fork? It's an 18.5" frame so I don't think there would be any clearance issue long stroking it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwzimmer View Post
    My buddy has a 2017 9.8 FEX and was considering this shock. He's got his Pike set up at 150mm. Should he get the 210x52.5 DPX2 for 130mm of travel or should he go for the 210x55 for closer to 140mm of travel to match the 150mm fork? It's an 18.5" frame so I don't think there would be any clearance issue long stroking it.
    Might as well get the 55mm stroke since the 150mm fork will void warrantee. He won't notice it unless he bottoms it out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Wow. What an upgrade.

Was the clunking when you were pedaling hard like bringing the front end up? I've been hearing it lately and can't figure out the source.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Update: Many, many hours on this shock now. Still super-impressed for all the reasons noted initially. No performance fall-off yet. Once broken in, I ended up with the 0.4 volume reducer, and now use full travel on fast, rough trails, but not often. Seems about right.

FWIW, if anybody is thinking of buying a DPX2, I'd give you a fair price for your stock shock, which would cushion the shock of the DPX2's purchase price. I do a fair bit of mtb road tripping, and just like to have a spare shock.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thinking of pulling the trigger on Frame only 2018 ex9.9, Pike at 150 2018 I have this now. Does Fox make 210x55 DPX2 trunnion shock? I would like the extra 6mm travel in rear. Derby 35mm rims and dt swiss hubs. Can I use my ENVE stem? I have the 2016 Fuel EX9.9 now and love this bike with 27.5x2.8 tires on it!! New bike will be my rig that can go anywhere.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DPX2 for 17/18 Fuel EX?-p1070586.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw7000 View Post
    Does Fox make 210x55 DPX2 trunnion shock?
    Yes. It's a little tricky to get it installed, but nothing that a few Trek parts from a 9.8 and some mechanical ingenuity can't solve. See post #23 above.

I wanted to stay with stock travel, so went with the 210 x 52.5 DPX2 from Fox, that now comes with the spacers you need for installation (still need a few more things, though).

FWIW, technically, I believe a 150 fork voids the warranty on this frame.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I don't see it listed in fox site not in Trunnion !! Can you post some picts of yours? I may get the new 140 air shaft 2019 for my pike, also using torque caps that I really like!! Thanks for the info !!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Are you saying the DXP2 will not be Trunnion for this application? Sorry just trying to understand!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Are you saying the DXP2 will not be Trunnion for this application? Sorry just trying to understand!
    Correct.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Now I understand!!! Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Now I understand!!! Thanks.
    Basically, you have to mount it like the shock on the 9.8. In fact, if I were doing frame only, I'd probably buy the 9.8 and put the DPX2 on that.

Much simpler with the 8 mm holes in the aluminum swingarm. The DPX2 would bolt right up with the stock fasteners, and historically, I'd have to say I doubt I could pass the blindfold test between the aluminum and carbon swingarms I've had on various Treks over the years. Unless 150 or so grams of extra weight (my guess) is a deal-breaker.

Report back once you build it up!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    No Way, full carbon for me. I wonder if I can get 2017 leftover!!

SS in CO
    are you guys selling your stock Reaktivs somewhere? how much are you getting?

J.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I think there are some on Pink Bike new for 200 each.

-C-
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I never bothered to sell my stock shock off my FEX9.9 once I put the 11-6 on. It's an odd size & a crap shock, so it can just live in the spares box

SS in CO
    Quote Originally Posted by -C- View Post
    I never bothered to sell my stock shock off my FEX9.9 once I put the 11-6 on. It's an odd size & a crap shock, so it can just live in the spares box
    pics? I never thought of a Push on there...also, how do you like it?

J.

-C-
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    pics? I never thought of a Push on there...also, how do you like it?

J.
    Well, it's been a few years since I've ridden a coil shock, so comparing it to others isn't really an option.

That said, as an upgrade over the standard shock on the 9.9, it's basically an improvement in every way (well, other than weight). I came from a bike with a Float X2 so the standard Fox unit wasn't great to replace it. This is probably an improvement on the X2, but not by a great margin. I got very fortunate and picked up the 11-6 second hand and modified it to fit so it was comparable in price to the X2. I would say, at retail though, it's not worth the difference, IMO.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    hi,

can someone tell about the performance difference to reaktiv?
    i swapped the fork to a fox 36 with 150mm and im just blown away how good it is. its amazing.
    now i am keen to try the dpx2 too

i want to try the 55mm version. can somebody convince me to throw my money?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by darsannn View Post
    hi,

i swapped the fork to a fox 36 with 150mm and im just blown away how good it is. its amazing.

To riding buddies went Dpx2 metric, both bike shop mechanics and totally approve of this shock with 140mm fork. I went with metric X2 and Fox 36 150mm on my 17 Fuel EX. DPX2 for 17/18 Fuel EX?-20180622_140757.jpgDPX2 for 17/18 Fuel EX?-20180622_140731.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by darsannn View Post
    hi,

I'm still loving mine, for all the reasons I posted up above in this thread.

No reservations after tons of hours.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwzimmer View Post
    I have the 19.5 model and have a topaz at 210x55 and the piggy back just marks the frame anyone else had this problem?

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by crae View Post
    I have the 19.5 model and have a topaz at 210x55 and the piggy back just marks the frame anyone else had this problem?
    Yours carbon or aluminum frame?

mtbr member
    Wow. What an upgrade.

i also have a '17 9.9. sent the shock to fox complaining of this. they actually wrote "anti clunk service" on my invoice lol.

i had them ditch the reactiv valving and just go dps. i like it much more. reactiv was too lively. too loose.

also have a dpx2 on my bronson and like it even more.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I heard the topaz has a really long piggy back compared to other shocks. Bummer man

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    This thread is really, really making me want a DPX2 for my Fuel EX. Fortunately, my wallet can't handle it right now... :-) But when I can, I'm definitely getting one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Curious what everyone else is running on the DPX2 Setup:

PSI?
    Rider Weight?
    Spacer Size?
    Rebound?
    Type of Riding?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Skip the Dpx2 and go right to the X2 if your an aggressive rider.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by techfersure View Post
    It would be cool to know exactly which X2 you have on your Fuel EX, since the Fox website shows none in the OEM length of 210 mm.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    It would be cool to know exactly which X2 you have on your Fuel EX, since the Fox website shows none in the OEM length of 210 mm.
    Metric X2, custom built and set up by Trek Development and Fox in California by a friend who works there. Sure can be replicated by a Fox certified tech at a local bike shop.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Metric X2, custom built and set up by Trek Development and Fox in California by a friend who works there. Sure can be replicated by a Fox certified tech at a local bike shop.
    Metric X2 is available in 230 mm, which isn't even close to the Fuel EX's shock length of 210.

OTOH, a DPX2 is available from Fox, valved specifically for the Fuel EX, and comes with all necessary mounting hardware, so this is probably a better route for the average bear.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    But have you ridden a fuel with the dpx2? I'm sure a x2 is sweet, but the dpx2 is plug and play, and rips

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    But have you ridden a fuel with the dpx2? I'm sure a x2 is sweet, but the dpx2 is plug and play, and rips

Yes I have my friend has one on his 9.9, we traded bikes for a day dpx2 a great shock for sure but did not measure up to my aggressive riding/racing style overall. His impression of the X2 was a better choice as well. He is a certified Fox technician for the LBS I race for and is looking into converting an X2 for himself. I was fortunate to know someone at Trek Development and have this sweet setup for me. Shock is turned for 9.9 the fork is also custom tuned for me. I run both 29 and 27.5 wheelsets for my ultimate riding and racing do it all bike!

mtbr member
    Jan 2002
    How does climbing compare on the dpx2 versus the reaktiv shock? My reaktiv climbs terrible even in trail mode really.. too active. I just rode a dpx2 on an ibis ripmo and it was a noticeably more efficient pedaler even in full open..

Of course I realize the DW link on the Ibis the whole different animal, but I'm curious how people think it compares with pedaling platform in open and Trail modes? Seriously considering one for my 9.9 after that ripmo ride..

I'd love a shock that I can leave in trail or open mode all the time. I mostly ride east coast techy rock which is a lot of up and downs not necessarily sustained downs for long so switching back and forth isn't always ideal... thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by hiss2 View Post
    How does climbing compare on the dpx2 versus the reaktiv shock? My reaktiv climbs terrible even in trail mode really.. too active. I just rode a dpx2 on an ibis ripmo and it was a noticeably more efficient pedaler even in full open..

Of course I realize the DW link on the Ibis the whole different animal, but I'm curious how people think it compares with pedaling platform in open and Trail modes? Seriously considering one for my 9.9 after that ripmo ride..

I'd love a shock that I can leave in trail or open mode all the time. I mostly ride east coast techy rock which is a lot of up and downs not necessarily sustained downs for long so switching back and forth isn't always ideal... thanks!

Did 70 plus miles on it in two days recently with over 5000 ft of climbing much technical, I would put in firm and climbed beautifully. I sold my Pivot SB for this bike and the 9.9 a better climber for sure also an X2 and Fox Factory 36 with RC2 cartridge on Pivot. 9.9 three pounds lighter too.DPX2 for 17/18 Fuel EX?-20180725_102917.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Dpx2 has a much firmer pedal platform then the reaktiv, main thing I hated about the reaktiv is low speed pedaling was way to soft, ton's of pedal strikes with slow tech and being over 200lbs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2002
    Dpx2 has a much firmer pedal platform then the reaktiv, main thing I hated about the reaktiv is low speed pedaling was way to soft, ton's of pedal strikes with slow tech and being over 200lbs.
    That's my big gripe too.. so even in the middle setting the the dpx2 has a firmer platform?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    How does climbing compare on the dpx2 versus the reaktiv shock?
    It MIGHT have a little less platform, but it also has a smoother feel to that platform. I ride it in Trail a lot on long single track climbs, and open it up on the downs, but we have more of a "big climb then big descent" character out here than it sounds like you do.

As a bonus, it's very easy to swap volume reducers and change the character of the ride. And I mean "leave the shock on the bike and be done in five minutes" easy.

I'll note that my through-shaft reaktiv felt "weird" at first. A quick trip to Fox, and it felt quite a bit better, but for rugged riding the DPX2 gets my vote.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015

How was the Ripmo? Looks like a real winner on paper

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    It MIGHT have a little less platform, but it also has a smoother feel to that platform. I ride it in Trail a lot on long single track climbs, and open it up on the downs, but we have more of a "big climb then big descent" character out here than it sounds like you do.

As a bonus, it's very easy to swap volume reducers and change the character of the ride. And I mean "leave the shock on the bike and be done in five minutes" easy.

I'll note that my through-shaft reaktiv felt "weird" at first. A quick trip to Fox, and it felt quite a bit better, but for rugged riding the DPX2 gets my vote.
    Kosmo - I don't see the Trunnion 210x52.5 (or 55 for that matter listed on the Fox DPX2 web page. Did you have to do a special order through an LBS to get one and if so how long did it take. do you know if the black Performance Elite is available in this size. I have a '18 Fuel EX8 looking to replace my Reaktiv with DPX2 and want to stay in frame wtty territory so want the 210x52.5 version directly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailhwk17 View Post
    Kosmo - I don't see the Trunnion 210x52.5 (or 55 for that matter listed on the Fox DPX2 web page. Did you have to do a special order through an LBS to get one and if so how long did it take. do you know if the black Performance Elite is available in this size. I have a '18 Fuel EX8 looking to replace my Reaktiv with DPX2 and want to stay in frame wtty territory so want the 210x52.5 version directly.
    Looks like fox isn't listing it for their 2019 line up. Strange. They had both with their 2018 line

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Looks like fox isn't listing it for their 2019 line up. Strange. They had both with their 2018 line

SO weird. The 210 x 52.5 was listed specifically for the Fuel EX on Fox's website.

Now.......it's gone.

You might try calling them, or probikesupply.com was previously a reliable source for them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I bought a New Take Off DPX2 that came off an Ibis Ripmo from FanaticBike.com, which has almost exactly the same shock size: 210x55. I believe there are a couple other post that says this shock size fits fine. Had to do a few modifications to transfer over the mounting hardware, but the shock installed and clears the frame fine. Been riding on it for a couple weeks now and it's been great. I know it's been tuned for a Ripmo, but at $300, I'd give it a shot.

Looks like they have 2 more in-stock:
    https://www.fanatikbike.com/products...x55mm-oem-2019

DPX2 for 17/18 Fuel EX?-mvimg_20180724_081601.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Itís funny how the fox DPX2 fits at 210x55. I bought a DVO topaz at the same spec and it didnít clear the frame. I had to put a spacer in it. I have a 19.5 frame. I know there a people that have installed the topaz with this spec and it seems to clear frame. My bike is special..

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Just ordered the DPX2 for my 17' EX8, what PSI/rider weight and setting are you guys liking so far?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FullyAutoMattic View Post
    Just ordered the DPX2 for my 17' EX8, what PSI/rider weight and setting are you guys liking so far?
    I seem to have settled in around 20 psi more than my RTR weight, but sag is your best setup indicator. Thirty five percent works well for me, with a 0.4 volume reducer installed.

Like most Fox suspension units I've owned, the DPX2 seems to work best with very little low speed compression. I'm running 2 or 3 clicks at most.

On rebound, I'm not really sure where I am in the adjustment range. Fast enough to not pack down in rock/root gardens, but not so fast as to "buck" me on smoother flow trails.

I don't think you'll be disappointed in this shock.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I seem to have settled in around 20 psi more than my RTR weight, but sag is your best setup indicator. Thirty five percent works well for me, with a 0.4 volume reducer installed.

Like most Fox suspension units I've owned, the DPX2 seems to work best with very little low speed compression. I'm running 2 or 3 clicks at most.

On rebound, I'm not really sure where I am in the adjustment range. Fast enough to not pack down in rock/root gardens, but not so fast as to "buck" me on smoother flow trails.

I don't think you'll be disappointed in this shock.
    Do you know what volume spacer is in yours? What setting do ya like to ride in Open/Trail?

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    It really is dependent on so many factors that information is of limited value.

Someone such as Kosmo might prefer 35% sag for his trails and riding style whereas any time I go over 30% I find that my steep technical climbing suffers as the bike sags into the suspension too-much causing my front end to wander. Not to mention the increased number of pedal strikes that drive me crazy anytime I'm over 30%. It really is to each their own.

Here is my method: To start I set sag at 25-30% as that is pretty much a given in my world. I then look up the rebound setting given for my shock pressure in the on-line DPX2 tuning guide. This usually gets my rebound within a click or two of where like it. I then go ride my bike take notes adjust and repeat.

With appropriate sag set if I'm getting full travel too often I add a spacer and if I'm never getting full travel I remove a spacer or replace with a smaller one. Spacer adding or removal is a 10 minute on the bike job with videos available as well.

I do run the middle setting for riding flats and uphills and then open it up for the downs. Some run open all the time. I don't like the climbing characteristics in open mode (I don't believe this is a high anti-squat frame like a VPP design would be) as described above so I don't.

You will love the upgrade.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Do you know what volume spacer is in yours? What setting do ya like to ride in Open/Trail?
    0.4 as stated. I've run 0.6, 0.4, 0.2 and none. All have their plusses and minuses, though with the suspension progression curve on the Fuel EX, I'm not sure I could ever bottom the bike with the 0.6 installed.

Mostly middle position on flats, rolling and single track climbs with ANY bumpiness whatsoever. Firm position just about exclusively on gravel road climbs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    ^^^ Agree with just about all that. When I go somewhere smooth and rolling, I'll reduce sag to 30% and use the 0.2 reducer (or none), but on rugged trails, I like a bit more sag and the larger volume reducer for a softer ride off the top (think steep, rough downhills, where you have very little weight on the rear wheel).

NedwannaB
    Any reason to think these wonít be a noticeable improvement on an EX7 over the stock shock? RTR @ 140#ís? (Me not psi...)
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    New member of the club DPX2 for 17/18 Fuel EX?-900a962f-0c33-4e56-a2d1-59c8d440bd7a.jpg

mtbr member
    Not seeing the DPX2 in 210x52.5 on the Fox site. Not on Jenson either. Where are you guys getting yours?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Surf View Post
    Not seeing the DPX2 in 210x52.5 on the Fox site. Not on Jenson either. Where are you guys getting yours?
    So weird. Last year, Fox showed the 210 x 52.5 on their website, and even noted that it was a kit for the Fuel EX.

Now it's gone.

Might be worth calling Fox directly.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by jbaileyhayden View Post
    I've installed a 210X55 and its seems fine.

SS in CO
    Quote Originally Posted by jbaileyhayden View Post
    of course, I checked last night and they still had 1 in stock. go to order today...gone.

J.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Contact Fabatik bike. These are from customers building Ripmos and swapping the stock shock out. I'm sure there will be more. See if they can add your name to some kind of list.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    of course, I checked last night and they still had 1 in stock. go to order today...gone.

J.
    1 is back in stock! Go go go!

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Well, I ordered my DPX2 for my 2017 Fuel EX 9.8 on Monday! It will take a couple of weeks because Worldwide Cyclery has it on back order, but I saved over a couple of hundred bucks Canadian between the Labor Day sale and 100 bucks store credit I had for writing a couple of reviews. Looking forward to trying it!

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Unfortunately, itís going to be a bit longer wait than I had hoped for. This is the message that I was sent regarding my shock:

Hey Brad,

Unfortunately, our Fox rep just informed us that they have pushed back 2019 Fox FLOAT DPX2 3PosAdj 210x52.5 Trek Fuel EX until Early October!

mtbr member
    I put a DPX2 on my 2017 ex 9.8 itís definitely the best upgrade Iíve done to the bike!!
    Itís amazing to me the difference the shock makes it climbs better,the small bumps are gone,the tire glues to the ground on corners the shock is amazing!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff clouser View Post
    I put a DPX2 on my 2017 ex 9.8 itís definitely the best upgrade Iíve done to the bike!!
    Itís amazing to me the difference the shock makes it climbs better,the small bumps are gone,the tire glues to the ground on corners the shock is amazing!!

Well, now I'm looking forward to getting the shock even more! Glad to hear you like your so much!

mtbr member
    Aug 2018

Agreed I tell my friends that the $300 i spent on the shock saved me $5000 on a new bike, its like a whole new bike.

mtbr member
    Agreed I tell my friends that the $300 i spent on the shock saved me $5000 on a new bike, its like a whole new bike.
    Thatís exactly what I was thinking.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    same here

mtbr member
    Oct 2017

Jeff, are you still using the stock shock that came on the 2017 9.8? Just curious...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bjeast View Post
    Jeff, are you still using the stock shock that came on the 2017 9.8? Just curious...
    Yes I am but I just had Push Industryís rebuild it. I thought it was really awesome but since I put the DPX2 on it that shock really out performs the front.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Yes I am but I just had Push Industryís rebuild it. I thought it was really awesome but since I put the DPX2 on it that shock really out performs the front.

Thanks! I was wondering about that - good to know! Edit: I've been thinking about what to do to improve the fork. I was toying with the idea of a Luftkappe, an MRP Ramp Control Cartridge, or even getting the internals upgraded to the Performance elite level. Not sure what I'm going to do there....

mtbr member
    Yes I am but I just had Push Industryís rebuild it. ...
    I thought Push quit working on non 11-6 shocks a while ago.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    I thought Push quit working on non 11-6 shocks a while ago.
    Iím not sure what a 11-6 shock is sorry. Mines a fox 34 push rebuild it a month ago. They revalved it lighter shock oil and low friction seals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast