DPX2 for 17/18 Fuel EX?- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

DPX2 for 17/18 Fuel EX?

I know that jspec29 has installed a 210 x 55 mm DPX2 on his Fuel EX with good results, but I thought this was worth a separate thread, since Fox is now apparently offering a stock-sized 210 x 52.5 mm version specifically for the Fuel EX:

Explore DPX2 Bike Shocks | FOX

Thoughts?
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    You guys trying to bankrupt me!?

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by not2shabby View Post
    You guys trying to bankrupt me!?
    Do it

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I've got one coming my way. Out of town for a week, so won't be able to install until the 20th.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    I've got one coming my way. Out of town for a week, so won't be able to install until the 20th.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Will it make you miss the 2016 Fuel EX any less?

SS in CO
    question about frame clearance on these:

if my frame (17 FEX 9) doesn't have the divot/indent at the bottom of the down-tube, will this not work?

J.
    are you a bike shop owner? or a custom builder? I want to talk to you about your website

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayson44 View Post
    question about frame clearance on these:

if my frame (17 FEX 9) doesn't have the divot/indent at the bottom of the down-tube, will this not work?

J.
    Not sure, but will report back after install.

FWIW, Fox IS listing this shock as being specifically for the Fuel EX, so thinking we're good on clearance.

Fingers crossed!

SS in CO
    I did talk to a Trek tech rep online and they said that the dimple was not needed for the piggy-back and that the dpx2 will fit just fine on all FEX frames 17+

J.
    are you a bike shop owner? or a custom builder? I want to talk to you about your website

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I did talk to a Trek tech rep online and they said that the dimple was not needed for the piggy-back and that the dpx2 will fit just fine on all FEX frames 17+

J.

What would be the benefit of the dpx2?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Update: Recieved DPX2 shock "kit" for the Fuel EX. It appears to contain all the bushings, o-rings, etc. needed to mount the shock, but does not include an upper or lower mounting bolt and nut of any kind.

Since the OEM unit from my FEX 9.9 is a trunion-mount, through-shaft unit, the stock mounting bolts will not work.

Trying to run this down. Stay tuned......

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Update: Recieved DPX2 shock "kit" for the Fuel EX. It appears to contain all the bushings, o-rings, etc. needed to mount the shock, but does not include an upper or lower mounting bolt and nut of any kind.

Since the OEM unit from my FEX 9.9 is a trunion-mount, through-shaft unit, the stock mounting bolts will not work.

Trying to run this down. Stay tuned......
    2018 has a trunion mount?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jpec29 View Post
    2018 has a trunion mount?

I think that is what they call it. In any event, there are no "through bolts" used to mount the shock. A short bolt threads in from each side directly into the shock body on top, and directly into the lower shock yolk on the bottom, for a total of four short bolts.

So I just need two through-bolts and nuts. Between my LBS, Trek, Fox, Fastenal and the local Ace Hardware store, I should be up and running in a few days.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I think that is what they call it. In any event, there are no "through bolts" used to mount the shock. A short bolt threads in from each side directly into the shock body on top, and directly into the lower shock yolk on the bottom, for a total of four short bolts.

So I just need two through-bolts and nuts. Between my LBS, Trek, Fox, Fastenal and the local Ace Hardware store, I should be up and running in a few days.
    Interesting didn't know the 18's had trunnion mount shock. My 17 had a standard metric shock.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Interesting didn't know the 18's had trunnion mount shock. My 17 had a standard metric shock.

I think your top is trunion mount style but your bottom is standard through-bolt. Don't your top shock bolts thread into the shock body itself?

My 18 9.9 is trunion style top and bottom, because of the new through-shaft shock design.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    OK, got a little clarity on the fit issue with a trip to the LBS.

The stock 9.8 upper shock bolt will work perfectly, so that's on the way from Trek.

The lower bolt from the 9.8 will not work, because it is 8 mm o.d., and the "ears" on my 9.9's swingarm have 10 mm holes, to allow for the two lower mounting bolts that the fancy through-shaft shock uses.

So, a trip to the local hardware store for a nut and bolt, along with some minor machining, and it cost me all of $4 and 15 minutes of shop time to fab up my own lower mounting bolt.

Getting closer!

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    OK, got a little clarity on the fit issue with a trip to the LBS.

The stock 9.8 upper shock bolt will work perfectly, so that's on the way from Trek.

The lower bolt from the 9.8 will not work, because it is 8 mm o.d., and the "ears" on my 9.9's swingarm have 10 mm holes, to allow for the two lower mounting bolts that the fancy through-shaft shock uses.

So, a trip to the local hardware store for a nut and bolt, along with some minor machining, and it cost me all of $4 and 15 minutes of shop time to fab up my own lower mounting bolt.

Getting closer!
    pls update.. maybe i will upgrade too.

but.. whats wrong, fox offer a new shock especially for the fuel ex but no bolts?

ill ride my ex with 220 psi, green token (one size before the biggest token) and trail mode. 80kg, quite happy at all.

could be a bit more traction on fast straights though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    FIRST RIDE UPDATE:

Very impressive. This is a shock that Fox should be VERY proud to put its name on.

It just feels like it has smoother, more refined damping. Pedals very well, and flows through chunk with a glued to the ground feeling.

I suppose that's what you get with the bigger internals that a reservoir makes room for.

The only minor downside I can find is that I gained a trivial 140 grams. Sadly, I doubt I'll have the opportunity to ride it again for at least three weeks, but as of now, it's a no-brainer keeper!

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    FIRST RIDE UPDATE:

Very impressive. This is a shock that Fox should be VERY proud to put its name on.

It just feels like it has smoother, more refined damping. Pedals very well, and flows through chunk with a glued to the ground feeling.

I suppose that's what you get with the bigger internals that a reservoir makes room for.

The only minor downside I can find is that I gained a trivial 140 grams. Sadly, I doubt I'll have the opportunity to ride it again for at least three weeks, but as of now, it's a no-brainer keeper!
    where did you test it? I just got back from syncline again, shock totally changed bike. 2.6 xr4 are sweet to if its not muddy

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    where did you test it? I just got back from syncline again, shock totally changed bike. 2.6 xr4 are sweet to if its not muddy

I ran out to Echo and rode every inch of trail on each side of the road. Not as chunky as the Syncline, for sure, but enough of a test to feel the love right from the get go.

This shock has so much more sophistication in terms of separate high and low-speed control of both compression and rebound. I'm truly amazed.

Now it just has to pass the test of time, since I'm the known Destroyer Of Shocks.

I'm holding off on the 2.6s until just before a mid-April Moab trip, so that they are as fresh as possible!

How was the mud factor at Syncline? I may run over there tomorrow, though I really hate mud.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I ran out to Echo and rode every inch of trail on each side of the road. Not as chunky as the Syncline, for sure, but enough of a test to feel the love right from the get go.

This shock has so much more sophistication in terms of separate high and low-speed control of both compression and rebound. I'm truly amazed.

Now it just has to pass the test of time, since I'm the known Destroyer Of Shocks.

I'm holding off on the 2.6s until just before a mid-April Moab trip, so that they are as fresh as possible!

How was the mud factor at Syncline? I may run over there tomorrow, though I really hate mud.
    I got there early when it was frozen. Thawed and got muddy then seemed to dry out. I would hit it later in day when it dries. Nice haven't rode echo in few years.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    DPX2 for 17/18 Fuel EX?-dsc_1072.jpgDPX2 for 17/18 Fuel EX?-dsc_1069.jpgDPX2 for 17/18 Fuel EX?-dsc_1017.jpgDPX2 for 17/18 Fuel EX?-dsc_1013.jpgDPX2 for 17/18 Fuel EX?-dsc_1036%7E2.jpg

Trek fuel ex 7 ! with the included hardware, and if you have the appropriate tools, it installs in 10 minutes. it's a big difference with the oem fox float dps evo l , initial sensitivity is very high, finding great traction !!!!I don't know if compared to the reaktiv it's worth it because I haven't tried it. My weight is 69 kg, (73kg with all the equipment).... 30sag,(15mm), 188psi works perfect with the stock volumen reducers; small bumps disappear and big hits don't blow the O-ring off the end of the shock. Also less pedal strikes with mino link in low position. (Fork 140mm travel, 25% sag).
    I really recommend it, a great product

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    ^^^ Could not agree more with all those observations.

If you have any model other than the 9.9, installation is a snap, using stock shock bolts. I installed the pivot hardware using a vise and sockets as a poor man's "press". Easy peasy.

For my 9.9 I ended up using a stock 9.8 upper shock bolt on top, then took another of the same, shortened it 10 mm, tapped the threads about 7 mm deeper, and it worked perfectly as a lower bolt.

Now the rain needs to quit, so I can ride it again!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Any further updates or insights or impressions about the shock? I'm struggling to get the Reaktiv to perform the way I want it to, and the DPX2 is sounding pretty great.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    ^^^ Stay tuned. Sneaking out for a 3 hour tour later today, on somewhat more rugged trails. Ride 2, while short, indicated that this shock is "all that and a bag of chips".

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I've got 10 solid hours on it so far, so here is the report:

1. The damping is very refined feeling. It tracks chunk smoothly -- and quietly -- but feels like it has a great pedaling platform. The bike feels snappy. I guess this is what Fox can do when they make everything a bit bigger, since the reservoir frees up some room inside the shock body.

2. It came with a 0.6 volume reducer installed. When I set it for 30% sag, I was only using ~45 mm of the available 52 mm of travel. I installed a 0.2 reducer, and have used 48 mm of travel on the last two rides. I'll let it break in for a few more hours before pulling the spacer altogether, and giving that a whirl. Note that our truly chunky moto trails haven't really opened yet, so I might be in the right spot with the 0.2 spacer already.

All in all, a very worthwhile upgrade, IMO. It is cool that Fox now has a "kit" with this shock and spacers specifically tuned for the Fuel EX.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Wow. What an upgrade.

Let me preface this by saying that my stock re:aktiv was probably broken. There has been a clunk in the rear end for months. I replace rear wheel bearings, then I did main pivot, still clunking. Then the stock shock started makes alarming squishing noises and lockout stopped working. I decided to grab the DPX2.

Totally silent. Tracks like no ones business. Turned the 9.7 into the bike I had hoped for. Even at 30% sag, the bike pedals well in trail mode. Could not be happier. Except for the cost. Oh well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by drjos View Post
    Wow. What an upgrade.

Let me preface this by saying that my stock re:aktiv was probably broken. There has been a clunk in the rear end for months. I replace rear wheel bearings, then I did main pivot, still clunking. Then the stock shock started makes alarming squishing noises and lockout stopped working. I decided to grab the DPX2.

Totally silent. Tracks like no ones business. Turned the 9.7 into the bike I had hoped for. Even at 30% sag, the bike pedals well in trail mode. Could not be happier. Except for the cost. Oh well.

sounds great guys. was thinking for an upgrade too. but if iam honest, the re:aktiv is great for me. i run 220 psi with 77kg naked. second spacer, always trail mode. tracking is good, still poppy, needs to be ridden aggressivly. if not, it sucks.

i have more problems with the fork, on faster hits the tracking is terrible. i have 95-100 psi, 2 tokens and light compression. fox 34 rhythm 130mm.
    yesterday we rode the trails in race-mode for training, bottom out every compression, very aggressive riding. bike feels so amazing in corners and body movement is perfect on it. just love it. only the fork is limited.

iam very fit, so uphill is just hammering, 1200g tyres easy steezy. what i want to say is.. dont wont to give up much uphill geo with the 140mm fork.

what forks do you guys ride? are the 140mm that much difference?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    DPX2 is great, as drjos notes. As far as your fork, darsann, try another token and a bit more compression damping.

But let's keep this thread focussed on the DPX2, please.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I've got 10 solid hours on it so far, so here is the report:

1. The damping is very refined feeling. It tracks chunk smoothly -- and quietly -- but feels like it has a great pedaling platform. The bike feels snappy. I guess this is what Fox can do when they make everything a bit bigger, since the reservoir frees up some room inside the shock body.

2. It came with a 0.6 volume reducer installed. When I set it for 30% sag, I was only using ~45 mm of the available 52 mm of travel. I installed a 0.2 reducer, and have used 48 mm of travel on the last two rides. I'll let it break in for a few more hours before pulling the spacer altogether, and giving that a whirl. Note that our truly chunky moto trails haven't really opened yet, so I might be in the right spot with the 0.2 spacer already.

All in all, a very worthwhile upgrade, IMO. It is cool that Fox now has a "kit" with this shock and spacers specifically tuned for the Fuel EX.
    Thanks for the excellent update! I'm going to keep fiddling around with the re:aktiv for now, because I'm pretty sure I can get it to work a bit better with a more scientific approach to tuning it, but when the cash is available I expect I'll be picking up a DPX2. I went from a 160mm 26" "enduro" machine to the Fuel, and apparently I really miss the way I could monster truck rough sections of trail on that thing. It's frustrating because the Fuel feels like it could be incredibly capable if it was set up properly. I'm 220lbs with gear and water, survive the climbs to hammer the descents, and if the few voices on this forum are to be believed (and I do see their point), Trek didn't suspend this frame with me in mind. Fortunately I've got a set of Saints on the way, so at least the stopping will be taken care of...

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    My buddy has a 2017 9.8 FEX and was considering this shock. He's got his Pike set up at 150mm. Should he get the 210x52.5 DPX2 for 130mm of travel or should he go for the 210x55 for closer to 140mm of travel to match the 150mm fork? It's an 18.5" frame so I don't think there would be any clearance issue long stroking it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwzimmer View Post
    My buddy has a 2017 9.8 FEX and was considering this shock. He's got his Pike set up at 150mm. Should he get the 210x52.5 DPX2 for 130mm of travel or should he go for the 210x55 for closer to 140mm of travel to match the 150mm fork? It's an 18.5" frame so I don't think there would be any clearance issue long stroking it.
    Might as well get the 55mm stroke since the 150mm fork will void warrantee. He won't notice it unless he bottoms it out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Wow. What an upgrade.

Was the clunking when you were pedaling hard like bringing the front end up? I've been hearing it lately and can't figure out the source.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Update: Many, many hours on this shock now. Still super-impressed for all the reasons noted initially. No performance fall-off yet. Once broken in, I ended up with the 0.4 volume reducer, and now use full travel on fast, rough trails, but not often. Seems about right.

FWIW, if anybody is thinking of buying a DPX2, I'd give you a fair price for your stock shock, which would cushion the shock of the DPX2's purchase price. I do a fair bit of mtb road tripping, and just like to have a spare shock.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thinking of pulling the trigger on Frame only 2018 ex9.9, Pike at 150 2018 I have this now. Does Fox make 210x55 DPX2 trunnion shock? I would like the extra 6mm travel in rear. Derby 35mm rims and dt swiss hubs. Can I use my ENVE stem? I have the 2016 Fuel EX9.9 now and love this bike with 27.5x2.8 tires on it!! New bike will be my rig that can go anywhere.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DPX2 for 17/18 Fuel EX?-p1070586.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dgw7000 View Post
    Does Fox make 210x55 DPX2 trunnion shock?
    Yes. It's a little tricky to get it installed, but nothing that a few Trek parts from a 9.8 and some mechanical ingenuity can't solve. See post #23 above.

I wanted to stay with stock travel, so went with the 210 x 52.5 DPX2 from Fox, that now comes with the spacers you need for installation (still need a few more things, though).

FWIW, technically, I believe a 150 fork voids the warranty on this frame.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I don't see it listed in fox site not in Trunnion !! Can you post some picts of yours? I may get the new 140 air shaft 2019 for my pike, also using torque caps that I really like!! Thanks for the info !!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Are you saying the DXP2 will not be Trunnion for this application? Sorry just trying to understand!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Are you saying the DXP2 will not be Trunnion for this application? Sorry just trying to understand!
    Correct.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Now I understand!!! Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Now I understand!!! Thanks.
    Basically, you have to mount it like the shock on the 9.8. In fact, if I were doing frame only, I'd probably buy the 9.8 and put the DPX2 on that.

Much simpler with the 8 mm holes in the aluminum swingarm. The DPX2 would bolt right up with the stock fasteners, and historically, I'd have to say I doubt I could pass the blindfold test between the aluminum and carbon swingarms I've had on various Treks over the years. Unless 150 or so grams of extra weight (my guess) is a deal-breaker.

Report back once you build it up!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    No Way, full carbon for me. I wonder if I can get 2017 leftover!!

SS in CO
    are you guys selling your stock Reaktivs somewhere? how much are you getting?

J.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I think there are some on Pink Bike new for 200 each.

-C-
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I never bothered to sell my stock shock off my FEX9.9 once I put the 11-6 on. It's an odd size & a crap shock, so it can just live in the spares box

SS in CO
    Quote Originally Posted by -C- View Post
    I never bothered to sell my stock shock off my FEX9.9 once I put the 11-6 on. It's an odd size & a crap shock, so it can just live in the spares box
    pics? I never thought of a Push on there...also, how do you like it?

J.

-C-
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    pics? I never thought of a Push on there...also, how do you like it?

J.
    Well, it's been a few years since I've ridden a coil shock, so comparing it to others isn't really an option.

That said, as an upgrade over the standard shock on the 9.9, it's basically an improvement in every way (well, other than weight). I came from a bike with a Float X2 so the standard Fox unit wasn't great to replace it. This is probably an improvement on the X2, but not by a great margin. I got very fortunate and picked up the 11-6 second hand and modified it to fit so it was comparable in price to the X2. I would say, at retail though, it's not worth the difference, IMO.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    hi,

can someone tell about the performance difference to reaktiv?
    i swapped the fork to a fox 36 with 150mm and im just blown away how good it is. its amazing.
    now i am keen to try the dpx2 too

i want to try the 55mm version. can somebody convince me to throw my money?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by darsannn View Post
    hi,

i swapped the fork to a fox 36 with 150mm and im just blown away how good it is. its amazing.

To riding buddies went Dpx2 metric, both bike shop mechanics and totally approve of this shock with 140mm fork. I went with metric X2 and Fox 36 150mm on my 17 Fuel EX. DPX2 for 17/18 Fuel EX?-20180622_140757.jpgDPX2 for 17/18 Fuel EX?-20180622_140731.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by darsannn View Post
    hi,

I'm still loving mine, for all the reasons I posted up above in this thread.

No reservations after tons of hours.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwzimmer View Post
    I have the 19.5 model and have a topaz at 210x55 and the piggy back just marks the frame anyone else had this problem?

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by crae View Post
    I have the 19.5 model and have a topaz at 210x55 and the piggy back just marks the frame anyone else had this problem?
    Yours carbon or aluminum frame?

mtbr member
    Wow. What an upgrade.

i also have a '17 9.9. sent the shock to fox complaining of this. they actually wrote "anti clunk service" on my invoice lol.

i had them ditch the reactiv valving and just go dps. i like it much more. reactiv was too lively. too loose.

also have a dpx2 on my bronson and like it even more.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    I heard the topaz has a really long piggy back compared to other shocks. Bummer man

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    This thread is really, really making me want a DPX2 for my Fuel EX. Fortunately, my wallet can't handle it right now... :-) But when I can, I'm definitely getting one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Curious what everyone else is running on the DPX2 Setup:

PSI?
    Rider Weight?
    Spacer Size?
    Rebound?
    Type of Riding?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Skip the Dpx2 and go right to the X2 if your an aggressive rider.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by techfersure View Post
    It would be cool to know exactly which X2 you have on your Fuel EX, since the Fox website shows none in the OEM length of 210 mm.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    It would be cool to know exactly which X2 you have on your Fuel EX, since the Fox website shows none in the OEM length of 210 mm.
    Metric X2, custom built and set up by Trek Development and Fox in California by a friend who works there. Sure can be replicated by a Fox certified tech at a local bike shop.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Metric X2, custom built and set up by Trek Development and Fox in California by a friend who works there. Sure can be replicated by a Fox certified tech at a local bike shop.
    Metric X2 is available in 230 mm, which isn't even close to the Fuel EX's shock length of 210.

OTOH, a DPX2 is available from Fox, valved specifically for the Fuel EX, and comes with all necessary mounting hardware, so this is probably a better route for the average bear.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    But have you ridden a fuel with the dpx2? I'm sure a x2 is sweet, but the dpx2 is plug and play, and rips

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    But have you ridden a fuel with the dpx2? I'm sure a x2 is sweet, but the dpx2 is plug and play, and rips

Yes I have my friend has one on his 9.9, we traded bikes for a day dpx2 a great shock for sure but did not measure up to my aggressive riding/racing style overall. His impression of the X2 was a better choice as well. He is a certified Fox technician for the LBS I race for and is looking into converting an X2 for himself. I was fortunate to know someone at Trek Development and have this sweet setup for me. Shock is turned for 9.9 the fork is also custom tuned for me. I run both 29 and 27.5 wheelsets for my ultimate riding and racing do it all bike!

mtbr member
    Jan 2002
    How does climbing compare on the dpx2 versus the reaktiv shock? My reaktiv climbs terrible even in trail mode really.. too active. I just rode a dpx2 on an ibis ripmo and it was a noticeably more efficient pedaler even in full open..

Of course I realize the DW link on the Ibis the whole different animal, but I'm curious how people think it compares with pedaling platform in open and Trail modes? Seriously considering one for my 9.9 after that ripmo ride..

I'd love a shock that I can leave in trail or open mode all the time. I mostly ride east coast techy rock which is a lot of up and downs not necessarily sustained downs for long so switching back and forth isn't always ideal... thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by hiss2 View Post
    How does climbing compare on the dpx2 versus the reaktiv shock? My reaktiv climbs terrible even in trail mode really.. too active. I just rode a dpx2 on an ibis ripmo and it was a noticeably more efficient pedaler even in full open..

Of course I realize the DW link on the Ibis the whole different animal, but I'm curious how people think it compares with pedaling platform in open and Trail modes? Seriously considering one for my 9.9 after that ripmo ride..

I'd love a shock that I can leave in trail or open mode all the time. I mostly ride east coast techy rock which is a lot of up and downs not necessarily sustained downs for long so switching back and forth isn't always ideal... thanks!

Did 70 plus miles on it in two days recently with over 5000 ft of climbing much technical, I would put in firm and climbed beautifully. I sold my Pivot SB for this bike and the 9.9 a better climber for sure also an X2 and Fox Factory 36 with RC2 cartridge on Pivot. 9.9 three pounds lighter too.DPX2 for 17/18 Fuel EX?-20180725_102917.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Dpx2 has a much firmer pedal platform then the reaktiv, main thing I hated about the reaktiv is low speed pedaling was way to soft, ton's of pedal strikes with slow tech and being over 200lbs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2002
    Dpx2 has a much firmer pedal platform then the reaktiv, main thing I hated about the reaktiv is low speed pedaling was way to soft, ton's of pedal strikes with slow tech and being over 200lbs.
    That's my big gripe too.. so even in the middle setting the the dpx2 has a firmer platform?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    How does climbing compare on the dpx2 versus the reaktiv shock?
    It MIGHT have a little less platform, but it also has a smoother feel to that platform. I ride it in Trail a lot on long single track climbs, and open it up on the downs, but we have more of a "big climb then big descent" character out here than it sounds like you do.

As a bonus, it's very easy to swap volume reducers and change the character of the ride. And I mean "leave the shock on the bike and be done in five minutes" easy.

I'll note that my through-shaft reaktiv felt "weird" at first. A quick trip to Fox, and it felt quite a bit better, but for rugged riding the DPX2 gets my vote.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015

How was the Ripmo? Looks like a real winner on paper

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    It MIGHT have a little less platform, but it also has a smoother feel to that platform. I ride it in Trail a lot on long single track climbs, and open it up on the downs, but we have more of a "big climb then big descent" character out here than it sounds like you do.

As a bonus, it's very easy to swap volume reducers and change the character of the ride. And I mean "leave the shock on the bike and be done in five minutes" easy.

I'll note that my through-shaft reaktiv felt "weird" at first. A quick trip to Fox, and it felt quite a bit better, but for rugged riding the DPX2 gets my vote.
    Kosmo - I don't see the Trunnion 210x52.5 (or 55 for that matter listed on the Fox DPX2 web page. Did you have to do a special order through an LBS to get one and if so how long did it take. do you know if the black Performance Elite is available in this size. I have a '18 Fuel EX8 looking to replace my Reaktiv with DPX2 and want to stay in frame wtty territory so want the 210x52.5 version directly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailhwk17 View Post
    Kosmo - I don't see the Trunnion 210x52.5 (or 55 for that matter listed on the Fox DPX2 web page. Did you have to do a special order through an LBS to get one and if so how long did it take. do you know if the black Performance Elite is available in this size. I have a '18 Fuel EX8 looking to replace my Reaktiv with DPX2 and want to stay in frame wtty territory so want the 210x52.5 version directly.
    Looks like fox isn't listing it for their 2019 line up. Strange. They had both with their 2018 line

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Looks like fox isn't listing it for their 2019 line up. Strange. They had both with their 2018 line

SO weird. The 210 x 52.5 was listed specifically for the Fuel EX on Fox's website.

Now.......it's gone.

You might try calling them, or probikesupply.com was previously a reliable source for them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I bought a New Take Off DPX2 that came off an Ibis Ripmo from FanaticBike.com, which has almost exactly the same shock size: 210x55. I believe there are a couple other post that says this shock size fits fine. Had to do a few modifications to transfer over the mounting hardware, but the shock installed and clears the frame fine. Been riding on it for a couple weeks now and it's been great. I know it's been tuned for a Ripmo, but at $300, I'd give it a shot.

Looks like they have 2 more in-stock:
    https://www.fanatikbike.com/products...x55mm-oem-2019

DPX2 for 17/18 Fuel EX?-mvimg_20180724_081601.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Itís funny how the fox DPX2 fits at 210x55. I bought a DVO topaz at the same spec and it didnít clear the frame. I had to put a spacer in it. I have a 19.5 frame. I know there a people that have installed the topaz with this spec and it seems to clear frame. My bike is special..

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Just ordered the DPX2 for my 17' EX8, what PSI/rider weight and setting are you guys liking so far?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FullyAutoMattic View Post
    Just ordered the DPX2 for my 17' EX8, what PSI/rider weight and setting are you guys liking so far?
    I seem to have settled in around 20 psi more than my RTR weight, but sag is your best setup indicator. Thirty five percent works well for me, with a 0.4 volume reducer installed.

Like most Fox suspension units I've owned, the DPX2 seems to work best with very little low speed compression. I'm running 2 or 3 clicks at most.

On rebound, I'm not really sure where I am in the adjustment range. Fast enough to not pack down in rock/root gardens, but not so fast as to "buck" me on smoother flow trails.

I don't think you'll be disappointed in this shock.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    I seem to have settled in around 20 psi more than my RTR weight, but sag is your best setup indicator. Thirty five percent works well for me, with a 0.4 volume reducer installed.

Like most Fox suspension units I've owned, the DPX2 seems to work best with very little low speed compression. I'm running 2 or 3 clicks at most.

On rebound, I'm not really sure where I am in the adjustment range. Fast enough to not pack down in rock/root gardens, but not so fast as to "buck" me on smoother flow trails.

I don't think you'll be disappointed in this shock.
    Do you know what volume spacer is in yours? What setting do ya like to ride in Open/Trail?

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    It really is dependent on so many factors that information is of limited value.

Someone such as Kosmo might prefer 35% sag for his trails and riding style whereas any time I go over 30% I find that my steep technical climbing suffers as the bike sags into the suspension too-much causing my front end to wander. Not to mention the increased number of pedal strikes that drive me crazy anytime I'm over 30%. It really is to each their own.

Here is my method: To start I set sag at 25-30% as that is pretty much a given in my world. I then look up the rebound setting given for my shock pressure in the on-line DPX2 tuning guide. This usually gets my rebound within a click or two of where like it. I then go ride my bike take notes adjust and repeat.

With appropriate sag set if I'm getting full travel too often I add a spacer and if I'm never getting full travel I remove a spacer or replace with a smaller one. Spacer adding or removal is a 10 minute on the bike job with videos available as well.

I do run the middle setting for riding flats and uphills and then open it up for the downs. Some run open all the time. I don't like the climbing characteristics in open mode (I don't believe this is a high anti-squat frame like a VPP design would be) as described above so I don't.

You will love the upgrade.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Do you know what volume spacer is in yours? What setting do ya like to ride in Open/Trail?
    0.4 as stated. I've run 0.6, 0.4, 0.2 and none. All have their plusses and minuses, though with the suspension progression curve on the Fuel EX, I'm not sure I could ever bottom the bike with the 0.6 installed.

Mostly middle position on flats, rolling and single track climbs with ANY bumpiness whatsoever. Firm position just about exclusively on gravel road climbs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    ^^^ Agree with just about all that. When I go somewhere smooth and rolling, I'll reduce sag to 30% and use the 0.2 reducer (or none), but on rugged trails, I like a bit more sag and the larger volume reducer for a softer ride off the top (think steep, rough downhills, where you have very little weight on the rear wheel).

NedwannaB
    Any reason to think these wonít be a noticeable improvement on an EX7 over the stock shock? RTR @ 140#ís? (Me not psi...)

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    New member of the club DPX2 for 17/18 Fuel EX?-900a962f-0c33-4e56-a2d1-59c8d440bd7a.jpg

mtbr member
    Not seeing the DPX2 in 210x52.5 on the Fox site. Not on Jenson either. Where are you guys getting yours?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Surf View Post
    Not seeing the DPX2 in 210x52.5 on the Fox site. Not on Jenson either. Where are you guys getting yours?
    So weird. Last year, Fox showed the 210 x 52.5 on their website, and even noted that it was a kit for the Fuel EX.

Now it's gone.

Might be worth calling Fox directly.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by jbaileyhayden View Post
    I've installed a 210X55 and its seems fine.

SS in CO
    of course, I checked last night and they still had 1 in stock. go to order today...gone.

J.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Contact Fabatik bike. These are from customers building Ripmos and swapping the stock shock out. I'm sure there will be more. See if they can add your name to some kind of list.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    of course, I checked last night and they still had 1 in stock. go to order today...gone.

J.
    1 is back in stock! Go go go!

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Well, I ordered my DPX2 for my 2017 Fuel EX 9.8 on Monday! It will take a couple of weeks because Worldwide Cyclery has it on back order, but I saved over a couple of hundred bucks Canadian between the Labor Day sale and 100 bucks store credit I had for writing a couple of reviews. Looking forward to trying it!

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Unfortunately, itís going to be a bit longer wait than I had hoped for. This is the message that I was sent regarding my shock:

Hey Brad,

Unfortunately, our Fox rep just informed us that they have pushed back 2019 Fox FLOAT DPX2 3PosAdj 210x52.5 Trek Fuel EX until Early October!

mtbr member
    I put a DPX2 on my 2017 ex 9.8 itís definitely the best upgrade Iíve done to the bike!!
    Itís amazing to me the difference the shock makes it climbs better,the small bumps are gone,the tire glues to the ground on corners the shock is amazing!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff clouser View Post
    I put a DPX2 on my 2017 ex 9.8 itís definitely the best upgrade Iíve done to the bike!!
    Itís amazing to me the difference the shock makes it climbs better,the small bumps are gone,the tire glues to the ground on corners the shock is amazing!!

Well, now I'm looking forward to getting the shock even more! Glad to hear you like your so much!

mtbr member
    Aug 2018

Agreed I tell my friends that the $300 i spent on the shock saved me $5000 on a new bike, its like a whole new bike.

mtbr member
    Agreed I tell my friends that the $300 i spent on the shock saved me $5000 on a new bike, its like a whole new bike.
    Thatís exactly what I was thinking.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    same here

mtbr member
    Oct 2017

Jeff, are you still using the stock shock that came on the 2017 9.8? Just curious...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bjeast View Post
    Jeff, are you still using the stock shock that came on the 2017 9.8? Just curious...
    Yes I am but I just had Push Industryís rebuild it. I thought it was really awesome but since I put the DPX2 on it that shock really out performs the front.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Yes I am but I just had Push Industryís rebuild it. I thought it was really awesome but since I put the DPX2 on it that shock really out performs the front.

Thanks! I was wondering about that - good to know! Edit: I've been thinking about what to do to improve the fork. I was toying with the idea of a Luftkappe, an MRP Ramp Control Cartridge, or even getting the internals upgraded to the Performance elite level. Not sure what I'm going to do there....

mtbr member
    Yes I am but I just had Push Industryís rebuild it. ...
    I thought Push quit working on non 11-6 shocks a while ago.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    I thought Push quit working on non 11-6 shocks a while ago.
    Iím not sure what a 11-6 shock is sorry. Mines a fox 34 push rebuild it a month ago. They revalved it lighter shock oil and low friction seals.

mtbr member
    Ah, OK. Fox 34 is a fork but I assumed we were talking about rear shocks (DPX2), hence my confusion. 11-6 is Push's own rear shock.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    Ah, OK. Fox 34 is a fork but I assumed we were talking about rear shocks (DPX2), hence my confusion. 11-6 is Push's own rear shock.
    My bad I was saying since I got the DPX2 it was out performing my fork. Or meant to say

SS in CO
    finally got my hands on one from Fanatikbike. will get here next week.

is there anything special I need to mount it? will the bushings/hardware from the stock shock work with the DPX2?

J.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    finally got my hands on one from Fanatikbike. will get here next week.

is there anything special I need to mount it? will the bushings/hardware from the stock shock work with the DPX2?

J.
    See Posts 11 and 16, and PM me if you need any more detail.

Short version: If you've got a 2017 or 2018 9.8 or lower FEX, you should be good to go. If you've got a 9.9 or any of the new 2019 models that include the through-shaft shock, a bit of creativity is called for.

SS in CO
    Ok great, thanks! 2017 FEX9 here.

J.

SS in CO
    got my dpx2 from Fanatikbike on last week. so far, just 2 short rides to get things dialed in a bit, but I can already tell that this is a much better shock for me! soooooo buttery!

question: can someone explain the "tunes" that these come with from Fox? what's the difference in a tune and can that be changed? obviously, the tune on this dpx2 is different than the one on the stock Reaktiv. how do they differ? will using a shockwiz help with that?

honestly, I'm not sure I know enough about shocks to be able to tell a difference, but I'm curious if there should be a different tune for the FEX to make it optimal.

J.

mtbr member
    got my dpx2 from Fanatikbike on last week. so far, just 2 short rides to get things dialed in a bit, but I can already tell that this is a much better shock for me! soooooo buttery!

question: can someone explain the "tunes" that these come with from Fox? what's the difference in a tune and can that be changed? obviously, the tune on this dpx2 is different than the one on the stock Reaktiv. how do they differ? will using a shockwiz help with that?

honestly, I'm not sure I know enough about shocks to be able to tell a difference, but I'm curious if there should be a different tune for the FEX to make it optimal.

J.
    Fox sells m/m or medium compression medium rebound off the shelf. OEM can spec anything they want. Many favor light compression to make the bike feel very compliant on a test ride. Most people over 175 lb are going to hate light valving in the long run. It's too active. Too much lost momentum. You can also send your shock into Fox after purchase and have them do custom valving should you wish. I did the same thing with my reactive shock and had them turn it into a medium medium DPS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by racebum View Post
    Fox sells m/m or medium compression medium rebound off the shelf. OEM can spec anything they want. Many favor light compression to make the bike feel very compliant on a test ride. Most people over 175 lb are going to hate light valving in the long run. It's too active. Too much lost momentum. You can also send your shock into Fox after purchase and have them do custom valving should you wish. I did the same thing with my reactive shock and had them turn it into a medium medium DPS
    Did you deal directly with fox or go through a dealer to get your reactiv custom tuned ? thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnD View Post
    Did you deal directly with fox or go through a dealer to get your reactiv custom tuned ? thanks
    Direct with fox. I try and avoid bike shops whenever possible. It's just another chance for a mistake to happen.

SS in CO
    Fox sells m/m or medium compression medium rebound off the shelf. OEM can spec anything they want. Many favor light compression to make the bike feel very compliant on a test ride. Most people over 175 lb are going to hate light valving in the long run.
    this was my issue with the stock Reaktiv...messed with it as much as I could and it still felt overwhelmed as soon as I picked up speed in anything chunky. I'm about 200lbs with all my gear on, so not a big dude, but bigger than that shock was set up for, I feel.

is there a way to look up the tune according to the letters on the sticker and compare it to the stock tune? I supposed I could just call Fox, but then again, maybe I should just ride my bike and forget about it, haha. I already know I like the dpx2 100x better than the Reaktiv.

J.

mtbr member
    this was my issue with the stock Reaktiv...messed with it as much as I could and it still felt overwhelmed as soon as I picked up speed in anything chunky. I'm about 200lbs with all my gear on, so not a big dude, but bigger than that shock was set up for, I feel.

is there a way to look up the tune according to the letters on the sticker and compare it to the stock tune? I supposed I could just call Fox, but then again, maybe I should just ride my bike and forget about it, haha. I already know I like the dpx2 100x better than the Reaktiv.

J.
    I'm the same weight as you. The reactiv is just valved too light for us. I also have a Santa Cruz Bronson with a dpx2. It's an out-of-the-box medium medium and it's perfect for me. Having Fox turn the stock Trek shock into a DPS with a medium medium was an improvement but it's not as good as the dpx2. When this shock starts to get a little worn I'm just going to get a dpx2 if I keep the bike. I think you totally made the right decision. Also know you can't look up a tune on a reactive. They are their own thing. If you're wondering about your dpx2 all of them to come after market are medium medium

mtbr member
    I'm the same weight as you. The reactiv is just valved too light for us. I also have a Santa Cruz Bronson with a dpx2. It's an out-of-the-box medium medium and it's perfect for me. Having Fox turn the stock Trek shock into a DPS with a medium medium was an improvement but it's not as good as the dpx2. When this shock starts to get a little worn I'm just going to get a dpx2 if I keep the bike. I think you totally made the right decision. Also know you can't look up a tune on a reactive. They are their own thing. If you're wondering about your dpx2 all of them to come after market are medium medium
    Racebum , couple more questions if you don't mind. What was the cost and turnaround time when you sent the trek dps shock to fox? I am seriously considering doing this to mine but , I'm gonna try and mess around with volume spacers first.
    Thanks for your time in advanced.

mtbr member
    Racebum , couple more questions if you don't mind. What was the cost and turnaround time when you sent the trek dps shock to fox? I am seriously considering doing this to mine but , I'm gonna try and mess around with volume spacers first.
    Thanks for your time in advanced.
    spacers won't fix the issue. they make the shock ramp up faster but it doesn't fix the problem of progression and support. the dpx2 does. the revalve helped a lot. i paid like $100 for fox to rebuild and change it since i was still under warranty but realistically i should have sold the reactiv for $200 and just bought a dpx2 for 499.

actually i didn't because the correct kit wasn't around last year. if fox has a 52.5 dpx2 now that would really catch my attention.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    actually i didn't because the correct kit wasn't around last year. if fox has a 52.5 dpx2 now that would really catch my attention.
    A lot of us are running the 210x55 with no problems.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Well, not really adding much to the discussion, but I just got a notice that my 2019 52.5 is shipping! Can't wait to try it out on my 9.8!

mtbr member
    Well, not really adding much to the discussion, but I just got a notice that my 2019 52.5 is shipping! Can't wait to try it out on my 9.8!
    Thanks for the heads up. Did you order yours from the trek shop ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Thanks for the heads up. Did you order yours from the trek shop ?
    No. WorldwideCyclery on a 15% sale they had a month ago. It too this long for them to get it in stock. Can't wait!

mtbr member
    No. WorldwideCyclery on a 15% sale they had a month ago. It too this long for them to get it in stock. Can't wait!
    Thanks. The $300 take off from fanatic says it's specifically tuned for the Ripmo. I wonder if there's any real difference between the one you're getting and the take offs they are selling , other than the measurements ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I don't really know. I was wondering that myself. I'm sure someone here could answer that. :-)

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I have a 210x52.5 trek-specific DPX2 coming in the mail right now and I'm wondering how people around my weight have theirs set up?

I'm 230lbs (inc gear) and ride as aggressively as I can. I'm looking for PSI, rebound, LSC and token suggestions - I'm aware the trek option comes pre-fitted with a 0.6" spacer, but I'll have a spacer kit arriving with it too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I'm near 200 RTR and ride pretty agressively, but really no drops to speak about on my home turf.

I've settled in at about 25 or 30 psi over body weight, one or two clicks of LSC, and rebound set "correctly" for a bounce and a half after a big hit (no idea of how many clicks).

Since no real drops, I've found the 0.6 VR excessive, and settled in with the 0.2.

Have fun with it. It sucks up chunk and spits it out!

Slowohioboy
    Jun 2009
    Just ordered one for my Fuel. Bike upgrade day feels allot like a new bike day (well bike upgrade order day anyhow). I am 220+ geared up, so keeping tuned in to see what settings you all come up with.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I'm near 200 RTR and ride pretty agressively, but really no drops to speak about on my home turf.

I've settled in at about 25 or 30 psi over body weight, one or two clicks of LSC, and rebound set "correctly" for a bounce and a half after a big hit (no idea of how many clicks).

Since no real drops, I've found the 0.6 VR excessive, and settled in with the 0.2.

Have fun with it. It sucks up chunk and spits it out!
    Cheers for this! I do hit jumps and some drops up to 5ft, so the tokens sound like what I'll need to work out.

As for "It sucks up chunk and spits it out!" - this is exactly what I wanted to hear

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Yes! Finally got the shock. Here it is installed. Unfortunately, wonít be be able to get it out until Tuesday to the North Shore.

DPX2 for 17/18 Fuel EX?-74714560-15bd-4695-88a8-ca2dc5714fcd.jpg

DPX2 for 17/18 Fuel EX?-14a2f542-2988-4dd4-b7cd-26702e4d6612.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Bills View Post
    Just ordered one for my Fuel. Bike upgrade day feels allot like a new bike day (well bike upgrade order day anyhow). I am 220+ geared up, so keeping tuned in to see what settings you all come up with.
    Im 230 rider weight and i run 300psi, 3 clicks out on rebound, .8 volume reducer, and always on the open setting

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Well, I finally got out for a test ride on the DPX2 on the 2017 Fuel EX 9.8. Rode Expresso, Baden Powell, then back up for Leppard, Crinkum Crankum, Kirkford, and then Roadside Attraction back to the parking lot here at Fromme. Set the pressure to 195, 7 clicks out, and open. Stock spacer.

My initial impressions are that it's smoother than the stock shock. Bumps feel smoother, and it changes the feel of the bike in a good way. I rode a section faster than ever, which may be because my buddy who's usually faster than me was behind me, but the shock is nice! Still have some experimenting to do, but the shock felt good! No regrets about buying it!

DPX2 for 17/18 Fuel EX?-fromme-oct-10-2018-8.jpg

DPX2 for 17/18 Fuel EX?-fromme-oct-10-2018-7.jpg
    Last edited by bjeast; 10-10-2018 at 08:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Well, I finally got out for a test ride on the DPX2 on the 2017 Fuel EX 9.8. Rode Expresso, Baden Powell, then back up for Leppard, Crinkum Crankum, Kirkford, and then Roadside Attraction back to the parking lot here at Fromme. Set the pressure to 195, 7 clicks out, and open. Stock spacer.

My initial impressions are that it's smoother than the stock shock. Bumps feel smoother, and it changes the feel of the bike in a good way. I rode a section faster than ever, which may be because my buddy who's usually faster than me was behind me, but the shock felt good! Still have some experimenting to do, but the shock felt good! No regrets about buying it!
    Sounds good , thanks for sharing !

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    So, rode my Fuel EX again today and still really like the shock. The best way to describe it is that I am less aware of the DPX2 than I was of the stock shock, which I think is a good thing. It's more supple on bumps. Even when I use up all the travel on a drop (like the ones on Floppy Bunny, which doesn't help anyone who doesn't know those trails), it doesnít feel harsh. I ran the same psi as I did the first day on Fromme, but with slightly slower rebound. Still need to mess around with the low speed compression, but so far, so good! For what it's worth, I rode some sections of trails today faster than I've ever done on that bike, and it felt good. Maybe it's all in my head, but I like the shock so far!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    So, rode my Fuel EX again today and still really like the shock. The best way to describe it is that I am less aware of the DPX2 than I was of the stock shock, which I think is a good thing. It's more supple on bumps. Even when I use up all the travel on a drop (like the ones on Floppy Bunny, which doesn't help anyone who doesn't know those trails), it doesnít feel harsh. I ran the same psi as I did the first day on Fromme, but with slightly slower rebound. Still need to mess around with the low speed compression, but so far, so good! For what it's worth, I rode some sections of trails today faster than I've ever done on that bike, and it felt good. Maybe it's all in my head, but I like the shock so far!
    What's your Rider weight? Your PSI may be too low. I would look at the Ripmo manual for a starting point

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    183 lbs, before equipment. I'll try more psi next time!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    183 lbs, before equipment. I'll try more psi next time!
    It's crazy hope high of a PSI this shock needs. Looks like you need 250 PSI ( thinking 190 lbs)

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    @ell, if that's the case, I've got it WAY too low!

mtbr member
    Probably why you like the way it rides. It's a good idea to do quick sag check so you know you're at least in the ballpark. Correct pressure depends on rider weight, frame leverage ratio, details of the shock, and the accuracy of the gauge. Sag automatically accounts for all of these.
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Probably why you like the way it rides. It's a good idea to do quick sag check so you know you're at least in the ballpark. Correct pressure depends on rider weight, frame leverage ratio, details of the shock, and the accuracy of the gauge. Sag automatically accounts for all of these.
    I did do a quick sag check, but I wasn't fully loaded, as it were. :-) I'll do a proper one before the next ride...

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Just noticed Fanatic Bike has 2 more take-off Ripmo DPX2's in-stock:

Now I am thinking of going to a 36 fork with 150mm travel. At 136mm in the rear with the Ripmo DPX2, and a 150mm front 36, Specs come out close to the new Yeti SB 130. I think the head angle would be almost exact at 65.

Hoping this raises the BB height as well, as the pedal strikes drive me crazy when throwing on the 27.5+ wheelset.

For the 29er wheelset, slap on the new XR5 2.6's out front, and XR4 2.6 in the back.. should be a beast.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    ^^^ Sounds like a blast. Turn the Fuel EX into an "Almost Slash" without quite going full-on Bro-Dozer.

Please report back with ride impressions!

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I did do a quick sag check, but I wasn't fully loaded, as it were. :-) I'll do a proper one before the next ride...
    And yes, the pressure was low! Riding tomorrow to give it a proper test!

mtbr member
    Jul 2015

Now I am thinking of going to a 36 fork with 150mm travel. At 136mm in the rear with the Ripmo DPX2, and a 150mm front 36, Specs come out close to the new Yeti SB 130. I think the head angle would be almost exact at 65.

Hoping this raises the BB height as well, as the pedal strikes drive me crazy when throwing on the 27.5+ wheelset.

For the 29er wheelset, slap on the new XR5 2.6's out front, and XR4 2.6 in the back.. should be a beast.
    One step ahead of you

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    One step ahead of you

Nice! I'm assuming the Fox 36 will fit 29erx2.6" and 27.5x3", right?? just like the 34?

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I've had a 29er xr4 2.6 and a 27.5 2.8, haven't tried a 3.0 not sure how snug that would be. I got zero pedal strikes with the dpx2 in low position, even when bike had 140mm 34 fork. I weight 215 too. The 150mm fork will make the seat angle slacker, no real problems after slamming the seat forward thou. With the seat back it defiantly wanted to wonder and wheelie on steep climbs

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    So, while I wait to ride the Fuel EX on the North Shore tomorrow 9to try it out with more psi0, my new sticker from Slik Graphics came for the shock. I know a lot of people like the Fox orange, but I preferred something that went with the colour scheme on the fork...

DPX2 for 17/18 Fuel EX?-img_4775.jpg

DPX2 for 17/18 Fuel EX?-img_4774.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    So, I had another ride yesterday on Fromme with the new shock, running more psi than I had the first few times, and my impression of the DPX2 is still positive. It's hard for me to explain exactly, but the bike definitely feels better. For one thing, it's more supple, somehow. Bumps are smoothed out more than with the stock shock (despite what Trek says about Reaktiv) and I feel more in control riding. It's really quite an improvement to the stock shock and makes me wonder why Trek doesn't offer the DPX2 on at least some of their bikes....

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    So... last post on the impressions of the shock. :-) Today, I took it up to Fromme again, with the same psi as the last ride. Fiddled with the low speed compression and it still felt great. This time I tried a bigger drop a couple of times. I'd guess from edge to the ground, it's about five feet or so. Used up all the travel, but I swear that new shock on the back makes a difference. It bottomed out off the drop, but it wasn't harsh. So in addition to being smoother on the bumps on the trail, it was nicer off a big (for me) drop. Great shock for the Fuel EX.

DPX2 for 17/18 Fuel EX?-fromme-oct-22-2018-4.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Update to my Fuel 2017 9.8:

Decided to pull the trigger on a Fox 36 150mm. Found a great deal on ebay for $450+shipping for the 2018 Performance Model, which was the same model on my Fox 34 stock, I believe its only 0.25lbs heavier. The seller list the fork as "new from the manufacturer, but may have minor scuffs." I received it in the mail yesterday and it looks flawless! This guy has a great rating on ebay, and looks like he has 40+ of these forks in-stock for this price. I guess its a manufacturer overstock kind of deal.

ebay link: https://goo.gl/N8qdLJ

Couple Side notes on the fork: could not find any details online as to which Fox fork models can fit both 27.5+ and 29, but can confirm that this model fits both very well (WTB's 2.75+ 3.0 Ranger on 40mm ID rims). Check the link to the imgur gallery below.

Also, for anyone going from the Fox 34 to the 36; the 36 brake mounts are built for 180mm rotors. If you had the 34, it needed the Spacer with long bolts; where on the 36, you don't need the spacer, and you will need 2 shorter bolts to move your brake over. Lucky for me and my habit of keeping every little piece of bike hardware, I had 2 short bolts from some other fork or brake part in the toolbox

I took a couple of before and after photos because I wanted to compare the Seat tube angle. I had a couple of screen shots from where I measured the angle using Photoshop's Ruler tool, but the screenshots did not upload from my home computer to G Drive. Will add to the Imgur gallery later. Anyways, the seat tube angle went back 1 degree from 64 to 65, and the effective tube angle is at 74.

Tires:

After seeing a buddies Ripmo and the 29x2.6" tires, I knew I had to make this move, since the frame could clear 2.6" width (knew this from reading another thread). I bought the XR5 2.6 to go up front, and XR4 2.6 to go in the back. I can confirm that there is PLENTY of clearance for this setup (with the Line 30 rims). Also photos in the Imgur gallery of actual tire width.

I bet you could probably go 29x2.8s in the front! Closer to a Full Stache feel.

Overall, I think the 150mm out front helps balance out the 136mm in the back from the DPX2 210x55. Did my first test ride this morning, and had the quick decision "yup, definitely keeping this fork on and not switching back." The New XR5 tire is a mean somabitch.

It's like a mini Ripmo / Yeti SB130 now!

Imgur Link:
    https://imgur.com/a/YKVbXmj
    Last edited by jbaileyhayden; 10-29-2018 at 09:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Update to my Fuel 2017 9.8:

Decided to pull the trigger on a Fox 36 150mm. Found a great deal on ebay for $450+shipping for the 2018 Performance Model, which was the same model on my Fox 34 stock, I believe its only 0.25lbs heavier. The seller list the fork as "new from the manufacturer, but may have minor scuffs." I received it in the mail yesterday and it looks flawless! This guy has a great rating on ebay, and looks like he has 40+ of these forks in-stock for this price. I guess its a manufacturer overstock kind of deal.

ebay link: https://goo.gl/N8qdLJ

Couple Side notes on the fork: could not find any details online as to which Fox fork models can fit both 27.5+ and 29, but can confirm that this model fits both very well (WTB's 2.75+ 3.0 Ranger on 40mm ID rims). Check the link to the imgur gallery below.

Also, for anyone going from the Fox 34 to the 36; the 36 brake mounts are built for 180mm rotors. If you had the 34, it needed the Spacer with long bolts; where on the 36, you don't need the spacer, and you will need 2 shorter bolts to move your brake over. Lucky for me and my habit of keeping every little piece of bike hardware, I had 2 short bolts from some other fork or brake part in the toolbox

I took a couple of before and after photos because I wanted to compare the Seat tube angle. I had a couple of screen shots from where I measured the angle using Photoshop's Ruler tool, but the screenshots did not upload from my home computer to G Drive. Will add to the Imgur gallery later. Anyways, the seat tube angle went from 65, to 64. Not enough change to make a difference there (for me).

Tires:

After seeing a buddies Ripmo and the 29x2.6" tires, I knew I had to make this move, since the frame could clear 2.6" width (knew this from reading another thread). I bought the XR5 2.6 to go up front, and XR4 2.6 to go in the back. I can confirm that there is PLENTY of clearance for this setup (with the Line 30 rims). Also photos in the Imgur gallery of actual tire width.

Overall, I think the 150mm out front helps balance out the 136mm in the back from the DPX2 210x55. Did my first test ride this morning, and had the quick decision "yup, definitely keeping this fork on and not switching back." The New XR5 tire is a mean somabitch.

It's like a mini Ripmo / Yeti SB130 now!

Imgur Link:
    https://imgur.com/a/YKVbXmj
    I have same set up, kicks arse. Goes downhill just as good as my specialized enduro 29er, but pedals way better and is 5 lbs lighter lol.

mtbr member

No one in their right mind would want their Fuel EX to feel like a Full Stache.

Steve
    Oct 2018
    from what i've found, i believe its a light/medium and it has a .4in volume spacer. have it, love it

Steve
    Oct 2018
    Recently did the ripmo rear shock on my '17 9 29. it made a world of difference. it's like the suspension is doing what it's designed to do. i'm sure that the standard valving would be close in the dps, but that's not what i wanted anyways. if anyone's interested, i'll post mods i've done.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Does anyone know if in order for the dpx2 to work, does the frame need that indent that I see on some frames? I had a 2016 fuel ex9 and the frame cracked so they sent me I believe a 2018 model grey frame. Want to go with the 150mm 36 up front and possibly that ripmo dpx2 in rear. Thanks for any help

This is how it sits at the moment with 27.5 x2.8. I also run with the 29Ē setup

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Are you talking about the dent in the down tube for a dropper post?

I think the 2017 -2019 frames are all the same, and I know the 2017 9.8 frame works fine with the dpx2 and f36 150mm

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I was talking about this...

Looks like thereís extra room in frame for the extra air volume canister on rear shock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Steve
    Oct 2018
    plenty of room on mine. there will be a bushing in the lower eyelet to remove if you go for the ripmo shock. feels nice though. never going back.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Just an FYI, I rode this bike in Squamish last weekend, and really liked it. It is a definite upgrade to the stock shock on my 2017 9.8. I really like the shock so far...

mtbr member

let us know how it rides with the 36. It think that'd be an awesome ripper. That 34 in the front is the only thing kinda holding me back on this bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by slimphatty View Post
    let us know how it rides with the 36. It think that'd be an awesome ripper. That 34 in the front is the only thing kinda holding me back on this bike.
    Post #144

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by idonteven191 View Post
    from what i've found, i believe its a light/medium and it has a .4in volume spacer. have it, love it
    Are you talking about the Ripmo take off? light/medium meaning comp/rebound?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Does the shock upgrade allow you to make the rear more progressive without it feeling like crap? I'm 205 geared up, and I was thinking about pulling the trigger on a Fuel, but can't get past the overly active suspension that just blows through the travel. I got rid of my previous version Fuel a few years ago because this. Demoed a 9.8 this weekend, loved the fit, loved how it pedaled and climbed...BUT bottomed out on a 2'-3' to flat drop, and suspension was too active and wallowed when I preload it to bounce off trail features.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Hate to be that guy, but could someone give detail steps to what I would need to do to throw on a 210 x 55mm x2 on my fuel ex 7 2018?

I saw a few posts talk about the process, but seems like incomplete information. I haven't done replacement like this before, so I need to know what I'm getting into before I buy the shock.

If I can make it work, I'd prefer to go with the 210 x 55 vs the 210 52.5. I'm currently running a 150 mm pike fork on it.

Steve
    Oct 2018
    yeah, the ripmo takeoff. and yes on the comp/reb.

Steve
    Oct 2018
    i wish i had more adjustability on my 34 performance. i put the 140mm air spring in it and a mrp ramp control. major difference for me. i think it feels much more balanced.

Steve
    Oct 2018
    i was having a similar problem on mine before i changed the shock. i was about 230 geared up, but i like it to feel kinda like my dh bike 10 years ago. so i ran mine with quite lower pressures and the .6 in reducer and it solved that problem for me. i did the change because i didnt like the square edge hit resistance, like it hesitated to use the travel. i'll probably send the stock shock in and have the standard valving put in. volume spacers will fix the bottoming though. hope this helps

Steve
    Oct 2018
    unbolt the old shock. get the bushings out of it, or use some new from fox. mine were from the old shock and i was not and engineer about getting them out, though they put up little fight and are plastic. put bushings in eyelets. bolt new shock in and torque. if you get the ripmo takeoff, there is a metal bushing that has to be reomved from the non reservior end. if it's from fox, it will probably just be a remove and replace of the shock and hardware without messing around with bushings.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by idonteven191 View Post
    unbolt the old shock. get the bushings out of it, or use some new from fox. mine were from the old shock and i was not and engineer about getting them out, though they put up little fight and are plastic. put bushings in eyelets. bolt new shock in and torque. if you get the ripmo takeoff, there is a metal bushing that has to be reomved from the non reservior end. if it's from fox, it will probably just be a remove and replace of the shock and hardware without messing around with bushings.
    Pretty much that easy, unless you're starting with the newer through-shaft shocks, which now come on the 9.8 and 9.9 I believe?

If so, PM me, and I'll walk you through the extra, but relatively easy steps.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Couple notes to add

I used a punch set and hammer to get the metal bushing out of the Ripmo dpx2.

Also used a socket set to act like presses in a bench vise with non marring vise jaws (flat side) to remove the Fox bushing from the old shock.

I think I had a make shift bearing press (long bolt. Google search MTB diy bearing press) to push the fox hardware on the dpx2.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    i really appreciate the help. seems easy enough! winter for me where I am so I'll probably take my time procuring an x2 off of ebay.

Has anyone had any adverse affects from the 210 x 55 instead of the 52.5?

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by corsilt View Post
    i really appreciate the help. seems easy enough! winter for me where I am so I'll probably take my time procuring an x2 off of ebay.

Has anyone had any adverse affects from the 210 x 55 instead of the 52.5?
    All positives here so far.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    All positives here so far.
    Same!

I would bookmark the Fanatik Bike link, as they seem to put 2-3 back in-stock periodically.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Same!

I would bookmark the Fanatik Bike link, as they seem to put 2-3 back in-stock periodically.

Also looks like the Ebay Fox 36 dropped price to $405 (was $450) - https://goo.gl/N8qdLJ

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    damn such a good deal. Wish I waited for a little longer grabbed my pike for $450 a month ago

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    anyone know if the Rockshox Super Deluxe R Rear Air Shock 210 X 55 would fit without clearance issues? I read someone had issues with the DVO topaz clearing. the super deluxe looks kinda big, but looks like a solid shock.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    What kind of shock pressure is everyone running that has made the switch to the DPX2? Yes, I know to set up based on sag but was wondering where everyone is at least setting for a starting point. Weight + gear for pressure? More? Less? Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    How do your impressions of riding the DPX2 on the Fuel compare to this reviewer's assessment using it on a Pole Evolink, admittedly a very different bike?

https://www.bikeradar.com/us/mtb/gea...-review-52116/
    What, me worry?

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    man this shock seems like the way to go. I love my Ex 9 but I suspect this will make me marry it!

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    How do your impressions of riding the DPX2 on the Fuel compare to this reviewer's assessment using it on a Pole Evolink, admittedly a very different bike?

This is the tune on my dpx2

2018 Factory Series FLOAT DPX2
    2018, FLOAT DPX2, F-S, K, 3pos-Adj Evol LV, FOX, AM, 210, 55, 0.2 Spacer, CM, DRM, Rezi A F M+, Orange Logo

Work's fantastic on my fuel, don't have any of those issues he spoke of. I'm 215lbs and ride flats, on past bike's with bad shock tunes I always battled pedal strikes from too soft of pedaling platform and rebound kick back on high speed jumps and lips. This is the best suspension and shock of any bike I've owned lately.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

I'm not feeling the reviewer's issues, but he is or was on a "standard aftermarket tune" version of the shock. I'm on the DPX2 "kit" for the Fuel EX-valved version that Fox sells (or sold, as it seems to have disappeared from their website?).

Recently, I've switched back to the stock shock, and there is a big difference. But not necessarily in a bad way. It just makes the bike feel more xc and less bruiser. Crisper, if that's a valid term.

If I only had the FEX as my everything bike, it would be fit with the DPX2 and a Fox 36 @ 140 mm. But since my wife surprised me with a Slash, I wanted some separation.

But, no, the DPX2 is not for sale!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Curious if anyone else has to keep putting air in their Dpx2 after 3-4 rides. I have mine set at 300psi and it seems to drop about 10 to 15 psi after a few rides. Not sure if this was normal for a rear shock of this high PSI, as I did not have this issue with any previous rear shock, but at a much lower PSI setting (200-250). And yes I did cycle the rear shock as I was adding air every 50 psi to valance the negative chamber.

May be a minor air leak.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Curious if anyone else has to keep putting air in their Dpx2 after 3-4 rides. I have mine set at 300psi and it seems to drop about 10 to 15 psi after a few rides. Not sure if this was normal for a rear shock of this high PSI, as I did not have this issue with any previous rear shock, but at a much lower PSI setting (200-250). And yes I did cycle the rear shock as I was adding air every 50 psi to valance the negative chamber.

May be a minor air leak.
    Same happens to me, anytime i run over 250 it will leak down relatively quick down to around 250 and then hold there. I think it just the added pressure. #fatguyproblems

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I'm not feeling the reviewer's issues, but he is or was on a "standard aftermarket tune" version of the shock. I'm on the DPX2 "kit" for the Fuel EX-valved version that Fox sells (or sold, as it seems to have disappeared from their website?).

Recently, I've switched back to the stock shock, and there is a big difference. But not necessarily in a bad way. It just makes the bike feel more xc and less bruiser. Crisper, if that's a valid term.

If I only had the FEX as my everything bike, it would be fit with the DPX2 and a Fox 36 @ 140 mm. But since my wife surprised me with a Slash, I wanted some separation.

But, no, the DPX2 is not for sale!
    If you change your mind let me know!

mtbr member
    Oct 2018

to my surprise the super deluxe 210 x 55 mm fits with no clearance issues

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181228_200424.jpg 
Views:	2405 
Size:	293.0 KB 
ID:	1230989DPX2 for 17/18 Fuel EX?-20181228_200429.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    ugh pics posted upside down, but pictured is the stock fully buttomed out you can see a good amount of room there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    This is the tune on my dpx2

2018 Factory Series FLOAT DPX2
    2018, FLOAT DPX2, F-S, K, 3pos-Adj Evol LV, FOX, AM, 210, 55, 0.2 Spacer, CM, DRM, Rezi A F M+, Orange Logo

Work's fantastic on my fuel, don't have any of those issues he spoke of. I'm 215lbs and ride flats, on past bike's with bad shock tunes I always battled pedal strikes from too soft of pedaling platform and rebound kick back on high speed jumps and lips. This is the best suspension and shock of any bike I've owned lately.
    Is the 210x55 a direct bolt in size or does it require additional hardware?

Iím considering ditching my reaktiv thrushaft for one of these but Iím not interested in having to modify anything in order to do it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by DAD BOD View Post
    Is the 210x55 a direct bolt in size or does it require additional hardware?

Iím considering ditching my reaktiv thrushaft for one of these but Iím not interested in having to modify anything in order to do it.

Just swap over the bushings from your current shock is all you have to do.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Have any heavier guys (225lbs) out there tried the .8 spacer?? Looking to go up from the .6 and looking for some feedback...thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Just swap over the bushings from your current shock is all you have to do.
    Hi,and what about the installation on a 2018 9.8? Is it easy: just dismount the old RE:Aktiv shock and put the dpx2 210x55 on, either any modification is needed? Will this void Trek warranty?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Luca1983 View Post
    Hi,and what about the installation on a 2018 9.8? Is it easy: just dismount the old RE:Aktiv shock and put the dpx2 210x55 on, either any modification is needed? Will this void Trek warranty?
    Thanks
    Probably. While Trek cheerfully seems to support reasonable "over-forking" of it's bikes, they typically do not do so with the rear suspension.

A quick chat with them online will get you an answer. Please post back with the results!

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Im fathoming a 210x55 cane creek DB air CS.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaFACE View Post
    Im fathoming a 210x55 cane creek DB air CS.
    I was gonna go that route if the Super deluxe didn't work out. You'll have to flip the shock upside down for it work i believe. I read people had good success with installing them on older remedys

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Contacted cane creek...shot down on the db air, they say the inline will work tho.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I am want to upgrade shock on my Trek Full Stache size M, which has exact same shock metric size as Fuel EX. I am considering between DPX2 and DVO Topaz. Topaz has 210x52.5 size available but as I understand it doesn't clear the frame with piggyback reservoir?

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Mebaru View Post
    I am want to upgrade shock on my Trek Full Stache size M, which has exact same shock metric size as Fuel EX. I am considering between DPX2 and DVO Topaz. Topaz has 210x52.5 size available but as I understand it doesn't clear the frame with piggyback reservoir?
    Get the DPX2 in 210x55...best upgrade ive done to my Fuel

mtbr member
    Jan 2017

Name:	20181228_200424.jpg 
Views:	2405 
Size:	293.0 KB 
ID:	1230989Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181228_200429.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	163.4 KB 
ID:	1230990
    Any feedback on how the Super Deluxe feels? Might have an oppurtunity to buy one in 210x52.5 (but tuned for a SJ).
    Patrick

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Get the DPX2 in 210x55...best upgrade ive done to my Fuel
    Where did you get the 210 x 55?

I am debating whether to get that or 210 x 52.5 that is tuned supposedly for the Trek EX. Been trying to read up about the difference between the two but cannot seem to determine if that 2.5 mm does make a difference.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    I went with the 2mm longer one from fanaticbike.com mainly because of the price.

I have a 2017 Fuel ex 9.8 and it fits perfect no problems at all. As stated earlier itís the best upgrade Iíve done to the bike.

I just checked the website and there all out for now. But keep checking thatís what I did you canít beat the price when they have them $300.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by clawspawn View Post
    I went with the 2mm longer one from fanaticbike.com mainly because of the price.

I have a 2017 Fuel ex 9.8 and it fits perfect no problems at all. As stated earlier itís the best upgrade Iíve done to the bike.

I just checked the website and there all out for now. But keep checking thatís what I did you canít beat the price when they have them $300.

OK, thanks. I am seeing both the 55 and the 52.5 at WorldWide Cyclery but for $549. Yikes! I will wait for Fanatik bike's availability.

So just to confirm, the 55 is a plug and Play on a 2017 Fuel EX 9.8. Correct?!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by paxfobiscum View Post
    OK, thanks. I am seeing both the 55 and the 52.5 at WorldWide Cyclery but for $549. Yikes! I will wait for Fanatik bike's availability.

So just to confirm, the 55 is a plug and Play on a 2017 Fuel EX 9.8. Correct?!
    Yes for the most part. You have to modify the old bushings some of the older posts tell you how. Itís really easy good luck.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by pjames12 View Post
    Any feedback on how the Super Deluxe feels? Might have an oppurtunity to buy one in 210x52.5 (but tuned for a SJ).
    DPX2 for 17/18 Fuel EX?-20190201_175914.jpgDPX2 for 17/18 Fuel EX?-20190201_175921.jpg Here's some updated right side up photos.

I really like the Super Deluxe I would say it makes it feel like a bruiser on the descents and chunkier sections. It's alot more supportive on bigger hits and just feels more composed in the aggressive terrain.

A few things to note though:

it is a good bit heaver than the stock shock so adds a little bit of heft

The stock mounting hardware from fox will not work and I had to get a little creative to get the right spacers to mount it (I can explain more and help you with this if you end up getting it)

I kept the stock shock and still throw it on for more XC related riding. Its super easy to swap the shocks out if they each of their own mounting hardware, and this makes the bike more versatile IMO. The super deluxe is great for more aggressive stuff but there will be times when i don't need that.

I wanted the Superdeluxe over the DPX2 because it is more user serviceable than the latter, and I got a super good deal on it I couldn't pass up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017

Name:	20190201_175914.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	265.3 KB 
ID:	1236206Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190201_175921.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	234.7 KB 
ID:	1236207 Here's some updated right side up photos.

I really like the Super Deluxe I would say it makes it feel like a bruiser on the descents and chunkier sections. It's alot more supportive on bigger hits and just feels more composed in the aggressive terrain.

A few things to note though:

it is a good bit heaver than the stock shock so adds a little bit of heft

The stock mounting hardware from fox will not work and I had to get a little creative to get the right spacers to mount it (I can explain more and help you with this if you end up getting it)

I kept the stock shock and still throw it on for more XC related riding. Its super easy to swap the shocks out if they each of their own mounting hardware, and this makes the bike more versatile IMO. The super deluxe is great for more aggressive stuff but there will be times when i don't need that.

I wanted the Superdeluxe over the DPX2 because it is more user serviceable than the latter, and I got a super good deal on it I couldn't pass up.
    Thanks. Someone else bought the super deluxe I was looking at but its good to know that its an option. What you're describing is kind of what I'm looking for--I'd probably leave the stock shock on for most of my local rides, but throw on the super deluxe or DPX2 or something when I travel to somewhere with bigger terrain. Are you running the R or RCT version?
    Patrick

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by pjames12 View Post
    Thanks. Someone else bought the super deluxe I was looking at but its good to know that its an option. What you're describing is kind of what I'm looking for--I'd probably leave the stock shock on for most of my local rides, but throw on the super deluxe or DPX2 or something when I travel to somewhere with bigger terrain. Are you running the R or RCT version?
    RCT version. Without the lockout the R version was a deal breaker for me. I ended up getting this one off of pinkbike, though I was keeping on eye on ebay. Mine is the 210 x 55mm version. Someone let it go for $150 after one season to give ppl on here an idea of what you can get if you look hard enough (and with a bit of luck).

I'm looking to push this bike pretty hard come Spring time. It really feels like a beast now in its current state. I'd love to demo a slash this year and compare the two, I doubt there's much of a difference.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    DPX2 for 17/18 Fuel EX?-20190208_134336%5B2470%5D3.jpg

Loving this Bike in its current state

my church is the woods
    Has anyone tried the Avalanche Racing mods on their ReAkitv shock?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast