Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 101 to 156 of 156
  1. #101
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lone Rager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    4,519
    Ah, OK. Fox 34 is a fork but I assumed we were talking about rear shocks (DPX2), hence my confusion. 11-6 is Push's own rear shock.
    Do the math.

  2. #102
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Jeff clouser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Ah, OK. Fox 34 is a fork but I assumed we were talking about rear shocks (DPX2), hence my confusion. 11-6 is Push's own rear shock.
    My bad I was saying since I got the DPX2 it was out performing my fork. Or meant to say


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #103
    SS in CO
    Reputation: Jayson44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    591
    finally got my hands on one from Fanatikbike. will get here next week.

    is there anything special I need to mount it? will the bushings/hardware from the stock shock work with the DPX2?

    J.
    are you a bike shop owner? or a custom builder? I want to talk to you about your website

  4. #104
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    6,575
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayson44 View Post
    finally got my hands on one from Fanatikbike. will get here next week.

    is there anything special I need to mount it? will the bushings/hardware from the stock shock work with the DPX2?

    J.
    See Posts 11 and 16, and PM me if you need any more detail.

    Short version: If you've got a 2017 or 2018 9.8 or lower FEX, you should be good to go. If you've got a 9.9 or any of the new 2019 models that include the through-shaft shock, a bit of creativity is called for.
    Whining is not a strategy.

  5. #105
    SS in CO
    Reputation: Jayson44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    591
    Ok great, thanks! 2017 FEX9 here.

    J.

  6. #106
    SS in CO
    Reputation: Jayson44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    591
    got my dpx2 from Fanatikbike on last week. so far, just 2 short rides to get things dialed in a bit, but I can already tell that this is a much better shock for me! soooooo buttery!

    question: can someone explain the "tunes" that these come with from Fox? what's the difference in a tune and can that be changed? obviously, the tune on this dpx2 is different than the one on the stock Reaktiv. how do they differ? will using a shockwiz help with that?

    honestly, I'm not sure I know enough about shocks to be able to tell a difference, but I'm curious if there should be a different tune for the FEX to make it optimal.

    J.
    are you a bike shop owner? or a custom builder? I want to talk to you about your website

  7. #107
    mtbr member
    Reputation: racebum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,339
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayson44 View Post
    got my dpx2 from Fanatikbike on last week. so far, just 2 short rides to get things dialed in a bit, but I can already tell that this is a much better shock for me! soooooo buttery!

    question: can someone explain the "tunes" that these come with from Fox? what's the difference in a tune and can that be changed? obviously, the tune on this dpx2 is different than the one on the stock Reaktiv. how do they differ? will using a shockwiz help with that?

    honestly, I'm not sure I know enough about shocks to be able to tell a difference, but I'm curious if there should be a different tune for the FEX to make it optimal.

    J.
    Fox sells m/m or medium compression medium rebound off the shelf. OEM can spec anything they want. Many favor light compression to make the bike feel very compliant on a test ride. Most people over 175 lb are going to hate light valving in the long run. It's too active. Too much lost momentum. You can also send your shock into Fox after purchase and have them do custom valving should you wish. I did the same thing with my reactive shock and had them turn it into a medium medium DPS

  8. #108
    mtbr member
    Reputation: johnD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    895
    Quote Originally Posted by racebum View Post
    Fox sells m/m or medium compression medium rebound off the shelf. OEM can spec anything they want. Many favor light compression to make the bike feel very compliant on a test ride. Most people over 175 lb are going to hate light valving in the long run. It's too active. Too much lost momentum. You can also send your shock into Fox after purchase and have them do custom valving should you wish. I did the same thing with my reactive shock and had them turn it into a medium medium DPS
    Did you deal directly with fox or go through a dealer to get your reactiv custom tuned ? thanks

  9. #109
    mtbr member
    Reputation: racebum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,339
    Quote Originally Posted by johnD View Post
    Did you deal directly with fox or go through a dealer to get your reactiv custom tuned ? thanks
    Direct with fox. I try and avoid bike shops whenever possible. It's just another chance for a mistake to happen.

  10. #110
    SS in CO
    Reputation: Jayson44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    591
    Quote Originally Posted by racebum View Post
    Fox sells m/m or medium compression medium rebound off the shelf. OEM can spec anything they want. Many favor light compression to make the bike feel very compliant on a test ride. Most people over 175 lb are going to hate light valving in the long run.
    this was my issue with the stock Reaktiv...messed with it as much as I could and it still felt overwhelmed as soon as I picked up speed in anything chunky. I'm about 200lbs with all my gear on, so not a big dude, but bigger than that shock was set up for, I feel.

    is there a way to look up the tune according to the letters on the sticker and compare it to the stock tune? I supposed I could just call Fox, but then again, maybe I should just ride my bike and forget about it, haha. I already know I like the dpx2 100x better than the Reaktiv.

    J.
    are you a bike shop owner? or a custom builder? I want to talk to you about your website

  11. #111
    mtbr member
    Reputation: racebum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,339
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayson44 View Post
    this was my issue with the stock Reaktiv...messed with it as much as I could and it still felt overwhelmed as soon as I picked up speed in anything chunky. I'm about 200lbs with all my gear on, so not a big dude, but bigger than that shock was set up for, I feel.

    is there a way to look up the tune according to the letters on the sticker and compare it to the stock tune? I supposed I could just call Fox, but then again, maybe I should just ride my bike and forget about it, haha. I already know I like the dpx2 100x better than the Reaktiv.

    J.
    I'm the same weight as you. The reactiv is just valved too light for us. I also have a Santa Cruz Bronson with a dpx2. It's an out-of-the-box medium medium and it's perfect for me. Having Fox turn the stock Trek shock into a DPS with a medium medium was an improvement but it's not as good as the dpx2. When this shock starts to get a little worn I'm just going to get a dpx2 if I keep the bike. I think you totally made the right decision. Also know you can't look up a tune on a reactive. They are their own thing. If you're wondering about your dpx2 all of them to come after market are medium medium

  12. #112
    mtbr member
    Reputation: johnD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    895
    Quote Originally Posted by racebum View Post
    I'm the same weight as you. The reactiv is just valved too light for us. I also have a Santa Cruz Bronson with a dpx2. It's an out-of-the-box medium medium and it's perfect for me. Having Fox turn the stock Trek shock into a DPS with a medium medium was an improvement but it's not as good as the dpx2. When this shock starts to get a little worn I'm just going to get a dpx2 if I keep the bike. I think you totally made the right decision. Also know you can't look up a tune on a reactive. They are their own thing. If you're wondering about your dpx2 all of them to come after market are medium medium
    Racebum , couple more questions if you don't mind. What was the cost and turnaround time when you sent the trek dps shock to fox? I am seriously considering doing this to mine but , I'm gonna try and mess around with volume spacers first.
    Thanks for your time in advanced.

  13. #113
    mtbr member
    Reputation: racebum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,339
    Quote Originally Posted by johnD View Post
    Racebum , couple more questions if you don't mind. What was the cost and turnaround time when you sent the trek dps shock to fox? I am seriously considering doing this to mine but , I'm gonna try and mess around with volume spacers first.
    Thanks for your time in advanced.
    spacers won't fix the issue. they make the shock ramp up faster but it doesn't fix the problem of progression and support. the dpx2 does. the revalve helped a lot. i paid like $100 for fox to rebuild and change it since i was still under warranty but realistically i should have sold the reactiv for $200 and just bought a dpx2 for 499.

    actually i didn't because the correct kit wasn't around last year. if fox has a 52.5 dpx2 now that would really catch my attention.

  14. #114
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by racebum View Post
    actually i didn't because the correct kit wasn't around last year. if fox has a 52.5 dpx2 now that would really catch my attention.
    A lot of us are running the 210x55 with no problems.

  15. #115
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    681
    Well, not really adding much to the discussion, but I just got a notice that my 2019 52.5 is shipping! Can't wait to try it out on my 9.8!

  16. #116
    mtbr member
    Reputation: johnD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    895
    Quote Originally Posted by bjeast View Post
    Well, not really adding much to the discussion, but I just got a notice that my 2019 52.5 is shipping! Can't wait to try it out on my 9.8!
    Thanks for the heads up. Did you order yours from the trek shop ?

  17. #117
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    681
    Quote Originally Posted by johnD View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. Did you order yours from the trek shop ?
    No. WorldwideCyclery on a 15% sale they had a month ago. It too this long for them to get it in stock. Can't wait!

  18. #118
    mtbr member
    Reputation: johnD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    895
    Quote Originally Posted by bjeast View Post
    No. WorldwideCyclery on a 15% sale they had a month ago. It too this long for them to get it in stock. Can't wait!
    Thanks. The $300 take off from fanatic says it's specifically tuned for the Ripmo. I wonder if there's any real difference between the one you're getting and the take offs they are selling , other than the measurements ?

  19. #119
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    681
    I don't really know. I was wondering that myself. I'm sure someone here could answer that. :-)

  20. #120
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    36
    I have a 210x52.5 trek-specific DPX2 coming in the mail right now and I'm wondering how people around my weight have theirs set up?

    I'm 230lbs (inc gear) and ride as aggressively as I can. I'm looking for PSI, rebound, LSC and token suggestions - I'm aware the trek option comes pre-fitted with a 0.6" spacer, but I'll have a spacer kit arriving with it too.

  21. #121
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    6,575
    I'm near 200 RTR and ride pretty agressively, but really no drops to speak about on my home turf.

    I've settled in at about 25 or 30 psi over body weight, one or two clicks of LSC, and rebound set "correctly" for a bounce and a half after a big hit (no idea of how many clicks).

    Since no real drops, I've found the 0.6 VR excessive, and settled in with the 0.2.

    Have fun with it. It sucks up chunk and spits it out!
    Whining is not a strategy.

  22. #122
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    43
    Just ordered one for my Fuel. Bike upgrade day feels allot like a new bike day (well bike upgrade order day anyhow). I am 220+ geared up, so keeping tuned in to see what settings you all come up with.

  23. #123
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    I'm near 200 RTR and ride pretty agressively, but really no drops to speak about on my home turf.

    I've settled in at about 25 or 30 psi over body weight, one or two clicks of LSC, and rebound set "correctly" for a bounce and a half after a big hit (no idea of how many clicks).

    Since no real drops, I've found the 0.6 VR excessive, and settled in with the 0.2.

    Have fun with it. It sucks up chunk and spits it out!
    Cheers for this! I do hit jumps and some drops up to 5ft, so the tokens sound like what I'll need to work out.

    As for "It sucks up chunk and spits it out!" - this is exactly what I wanted to hear

  24. #124
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    681
    Yes! Finally got the shock. Here it is installed. Unfortunately, won’t be be able to get it out until Tuesday to the North Shore.

    DPX2 for 17/18 Fuel EX?-74714560-15bd-4695-88a8-ca2dc5714fcd.jpg

    DPX2 for 17/18 Fuel EX?-14a2f542-2988-4dd4-b7cd-26702e4d6612.jpg

  25. #125
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Bills View Post
    Just ordered one for my Fuel. Bike upgrade day feels allot like a new bike day (well bike upgrade order day anyhow). I am 220+ geared up, so keeping tuned in to see what settings you all come up with.
    Im 230 rider weight and i run 300psi, 3 clicks out on rebound, .8 volume reducer, and always on the open setting

  26. #126
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    681
    Well, I finally got out for a test ride on the DPX2 on the 2017 Fuel EX 9.8. Rode Expresso, Baden Powell, then back up for Leppard, Crinkum Crankum, Kirkford, and then Roadside Attraction back to the parking lot here at Fromme. Set the pressure to 195, 7 clicks out, and open. Stock spacer.

    My initial impressions are that it's smoother than the stock shock. Bumps feel smoother, and it changes the feel of the bike in a good way. I rode a section faster than ever, which may be because my buddy who's usually faster than me was behind me, but the shock is nice! Still have some experimenting to do, but the shock felt good! No regrets about buying it!

    DPX2 for 17/18 Fuel EX?-fromme-oct-10-2018-8.jpg

    DPX2 for 17/18 Fuel EX?-fromme-oct-10-2018-7.jpg
    Last edited by bjeast; 4 Weeks Ago at 08:30 PM.

  27. #127
    mtbr member
    Reputation: johnD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    895
    Quote Originally Posted by bjeast View Post
    Well, I finally got out for a test ride on the DPX2 on the 2017 Fuel EX 9.8. Rode Expresso, Baden Powell, then back up for Leppard, Crinkum Crankum, Kirkford, and then Roadside Attraction back to the parking lot here at Fromme. Set the pressure to 195, 7 clicks out, and open. Stock spacer.

    My initial impressions are that it's smoother than the stock shock. Bumps feel smoother, and it changes the feel of the bike in a good way. I rode a section faster than ever, which may be because my buddy who's usually faster than me was behind me, but the shock felt good! Still have some experimenting to do, but the shock felt good! No regrets about buying it!
    Sounds good , thanks for sharing !

  28. #128
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    681
    So, rode my Fuel EX again today and still really like the shock. The best way to describe it is that I am less aware of the DPX2 than I was of the stock shock, which I think is a good thing. It's more supple on bumps. Even when I use up all the travel on a drop (like the ones on Floppy Bunny, which doesn't help anyone who doesn't know those trails), it doesn’t feel harsh. I ran the same psi as I did the first day on Fromme, but with slightly slower rebound. Still need to mess around with the low speed compression, but so far, so good! For what it's worth, I rode some sections of trails today faster than I've ever done on that bike, and it felt good. Maybe it's all in my head, but I like the shock so far!

  29. #129
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by bjeast View Post
    So, rode my Fuel EX again today and still really like the shock. The best way to describe it is that I am less aware of the DPX2 than I was of the stock shock, which I think is a good thing. It's more supple on bumps. Even when I use up all the travel on a drop (like the ones on Floppy Bunny, which doesn't help anyone who doesn't know those trails), it doesn’t feel harsh. I ran the same psi as I did the first day on Fromme, but with slightly slower rebound. Still need to mess around with the low speed compression, but so far, so good! For what it's worth, I rode some sections of trails today faster than I've ever done on that bike, and it felt good. Maybe it's all in my head, but I like the shock so far!
    What's your Rider weight? Your PSI may be too low. I would look at the Ripmo manual for a starting point

  30. #130
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    681
    183 lbs, before equipment. I'll try more psi next time!

  31. #131
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by bjeast View Post
    183 lbs, before equipment. I'll try more psi next time!
    It's crazy hope high of a PSI this shock needs. Looks like you need 250 PSI ( thinking 190 lbs)

  32. #132
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    681
    @ell, if that's the case, I've got it WAY too low!

  33. #133
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lone Rager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    4,519
    Probably why you like the way it rides. It's a good idea to do quick sag check so you know you're at least in the ballpark. Correct pressure depends on rider weight, frame leverage ratio, details of the shock, and the accuracy of the gauge. Sag automatically accounts for all of these.
    Do the math.

  34. #134
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    681
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Probably why you like the way it rides. It's a good idea to do quick sag check so you know you're at least in the ballpark. Correct pressure depends on rider weight, frame leverage ratio, details of the shock, and the accuracy of the gauge. Sag automatically accounts for all of these.
    I did do a quick sag check, but I wasn't fully loaded, as it were. :-) I'll do a proper one before the next ride...

  35. #135
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    93
    Just noticed Fanatic Bike has 2 more take-off Ripmo DPX2's in-stock:
    https://www.fanatikbike.com/products...x55mm-oem-2019

    Now I am thinking of going to a 36 fork with 150mm travel. At 136mm in the rear with the Ripmo DPX2, and a 150mm front 36, Specs come out close to the new Yeti SB 130. I think the head angle would be almost exact at 65.

    Hoping this raises the BB height as well, as the pedal strikes drive me crazy when throwing on the 27.5+ wheelset.

    For the 29er wheelset, slap on the new XR5 2.6's out front, and XR4 2.6 in the back.. should be a beast.

  36. #136
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    6,575
    ^^^ Sounds like a blast. Turn the Fuel EX into an "Almost Slash" without quite going full-on Bro-Dozer.

    Please report back with ride impressions!
    Whining is not a strategy.

  37. #137
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    681
    Quote Originally Posted by bjeast View Post
    I did do a quick sag check, but I wasn't fully loaded, as it were. :-) I'll do a proper one before the next ride...
    And yes, the pressure was low! Riding tomorrow to give it a proper test!

  38. #138
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    492
    Quote Originally Posted by jbaileyhayden View Post
    Just noticed Fanatic Bike has 2 more take-off Ripmo DPX2's in-stock:
    https://www.fanatikbike.com/products...x55mm-oem-2019

    Now I am thinking of going to a 36 fork with 150mm travel. At 136mm in the rear with the Ripmo DPX2, and a 150mm front 36, Specs come out close to the new Yeti SB 130. I think the head angle would be almost exact at 65.

    Hoping this raises the BB height as well, as the pedal strikes drive me crazy when throwing on the 27.5+ wheelset.

    For the 29er wheelset, slap on the new XR5 2.6's out front, and XR4 2.6 in the back.. should be a beast.
    One step ahead of you

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

  39. #139
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by jpec29 View Post
    One step ahead of you

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Nice! I'm assuming the Fox 36 will fit 29erx2.6" and 27.5x3", right?? just like the 34?

  40. #140
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    492
    I've had a 29er xr4 2.6 and a 27.5 2.8, haven't tried a 3.0 not sure how snug that would be. I got zero pedal strikes with the dpx2 in low position, even when bike had 140mm 34 fork. I weight 215 too. The 150mm fork will make the seat angle slacker, no real problems after slamming the seat forward thou. With the seat back it defiantly wanted to wonder and wheelie on steep climbs

  41. #141
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    681
    So, while I wait to ride the Fuel EX on the North Shore tomorrow 9to try it out with more psi0, my new sticker from Slik Graphics came for the shock. I know a lot of people like the Fox orange, but I preferred something that went with the colour scheme on the fork...

    DPX2 for 17/18 Fuel EX?-img_4775.jpg

    DPX2 for 17/18 Fuel EX?-img_4774.jpg

  42. #142
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    681
    So, I had another ride yesterday on Fromme with the new shock, running more psi than I had the first few times, and my impression of the DPX2 is still positive. It's hard for me to explain exactly, but the bike definitely feels better. For one thing, it's more supple, somehow. Bumps are smoothed out more than with the stock shock (despite what Trek says about Reaktiv) and I feel more in control riding. It's really quite an improvement to the stock shock and makes me wonder why Trek doesn't offer the DPX2 on at least some of their bikes....

  43. #143
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    681
    So... last post on the impressions of the shock. :-) Today, I took it up to Fromme again, with the same psi as the last ride. Fiddled with the low speed compression and it still felt great. This time I tried a bigger drop a couple of times. I'd guess from edge to the ground, it's about five feet or so. Used up all the travel, but I swear that new shock on the back makes a difference. It bottomed out off the drop, but it wasn't harsh. So in addition to being smoother on the bumps on the trail, it was nicer off a big (for me) drop. Great shock for the Fuel EX.

    DPX2 for 17/18 Fuel EX?-fromme-oct-22-2018-4.jpg

  44. #144
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    93
    Update to my Fuel 2017 9.8:

    Decided to pull the trigger on a Fox 36 150mm. Found a great deal on ebay for $450+shipping for the 2018 Performance Model, which was the same model on my Fox 34 stock, I believe its only 0.25lbs heavier. The seller list the fork as "new from the manufacturer, but may have minor scuffs." I received it in the mail yesterday and it looks flawless! This guy has a great rating on ebay, and looks like he has 40+ of these forks in-stock for this price. I guess its a manufacturer overstock kind of deal.

    ebay link: https://goo.gl/N8qdLJ

    Couple Side notes on the fork: could not find any details online as to which Fox fork models can fit both 27.5+ and 29, but can confirm that this model fits both very well (WTB's 2.75+ 3.0 Ranger on 40mm ID rims). Check the link to the imgur gallery below.

    Also, for anyone going from the Fox 34 to the 36; the 36 brake mounts are built for 180mm rotors. If you had the 34, it needed the Spacer with long bolts; where on the 36, you don't need the spacer, and you will need 2 shorter bolts to move your brake over. Lucky for me and my habit of keeping every little piece of bike hardware, I had 2 short bolts from some other fork or brake part in the toolbox

    I took a couple of before and after photos because I wanted to compare the Seat tube angle. I had a couple of screen shots from where I measured the angle using Photoshop's Ruler tool, but the screenshots did not upload from my home computer to G Drive. Will add to the Imgur gallery later. Anyways, the seat tube angle went back 1 degree from 64 to 65, and the effective tube angle is at 74.

    Tires:

    After seeing a buddies Ripmo and the 29x2.6" tires, I knew I had to make this move, since the frame could clear 2.6" width (knew this from reading another thread). I bought the XR5 2.6 to go up front, and XR4 2.6 to go in the back. I can confirm that there is PLENTY of clearance for this setup (with the Line 30 rims). Also photos in the Imgur gallery of actual tire width.

    I bet you could probably go 29x2.8s in the front! Closer to a Full Stache feel.

    Overall, I think the 150mm out front helps balance out the 136mm in the back from the DPX2 210x55. Did my first test ride this morning, and had the quick decision "yup, definitely keeping this fork on and not switching back." The New XR5 tire is a mean somabitch.

    It's like a mini Ripmo / Yeti SB130 now!

    Imgur Link:
    https://imgur.com/a/YKVbXmj
    Last edited by jbaileyhayden; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:10 AM.

  45. #145
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    492
    Quote Originally Posted by jbaileyhayden View Post
    Update to my Fuel 2017 9.8:

    Decided to pull the trigger on a Fox 36 150mm. Found a great deal on ebay for $450+shipping for the 2018 Performance Model, which was the same model on my Fox 34 stock, I believe its only 0.25lbs heavier. The seller list the fork as "new from the manufacturer, but may have minor scuffs." I received it in the mail yesterday and it looks flawless! This guy has a great rating on ebay, and looks like he has 40+ of these forks in-stock for this price. I guess its a manufacturer overstock kind of deal.

    ebay link: https://goo.gl/N8qdLJ

    Couple Side notes on the fork: could not find any details online as to which Fox fork models can fit both 27.5+ and 29, but can confirm that this model fits both very well (WTB's 2.75+ 3.0 Ranger on 40mm ID rims). Check the link to the imgur gallery below.

    Also, for anyone going from the Fox 34 to the 36; the 36 brake mounts are built for 180mm rotors. If you had the 34, it needed the Spacer with long bolts; where on the 36, you don't need the spacer, and you will need 2 shorter bolts to move your brake over. Lucky for me and my habit of keeping every little piece of bike hardware, I had 2 short bolts from some other fork or brake part in the toolbox

    I took a couple of before and after photos because I wanted to compare the Seat tube angle. I had a couple of screen shots from where I measured the angle using Photoshop's Ruler tool, but the screenshots did not upload from my home computer to G Drive. Will add to the Imgur gallery later. Anyways, the seat tube angle went from 65, to 64. Not enough change to make a difference there (for me).

    Tires:

    After seeing a buddies Ripmo and the 29x2.6" tires, I knew I had to make this move, since the frame could clear 2.6" width (knew this from reading another thread). I bought the XR5 2.6 to go up front, and XR4 2.6 to go in the back. I can confirm that there is PLENTY of clearance for this setup (with the Line 30 rims). Also photos in the Imgur gallery of actual tire width.

    I bet you could probably go 29x2.8s in the front! Closer to a Full Stache feel.

    Overall, I think the 150mm out front helps balance out the 136mm in the back from the DPX2 210x55. Did my first test ride this morning, and had the quick decision "yup, definitely keeping this fork on and not switching back." The New XR5 tire is a mean somabitch.

    It's like a mini Ripmo / Yeti SB130 now!

    Imgur Link:
    https://imgur.com/a/YKVbXmj
    I have same set up, kicks arse. Goes downhill just as good as my specialized enduro 29er, but pedals way better and is 5 lbs lighter lol.

  46. #146
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bobby12many's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    854
    Quote Originally Posted by jbaileyhayden View Post
    I bet you could probably go 29x2.8s in the front! Closer to a Full Stache feel.


    No one in their right mind would want their Fuel EX to feel like a Full Stache.

  47. #147
    Steve
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    3
    from what i've found, i believe its a light/medium and it has a .4in volume spacer. have it, love it

  48. #148
    Steve
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    3
    Recently did the ripmo rear shock on my '17 9 29. it made a world of difference. it's like the suspension is doing what it's designed to do. i'm sure that the standard valving would be close in the dps, but that's not what i wanted anyways. if anyone's interested, i'll post mods i've done.

  49. #149
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    71
    Does anyone know if in order for the dpx2 to work, does the frame need that indent that I see on some frames? I had a 2016 fuel ex9 and the frame cracked so they sent me I believe a 2018 model grey frame. Want to go with the 150mm 36 up front and possibly that ripmo dpx2 in rear. Thanks for any help

    This is how it sits at the moment with 27.5 x2.8. I also run with the 29” setup


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  50. #150
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    93
    Are you talking about the dent in the down tube for a dropper post?

    I think the 2017 -2019 frames are all the same, and I know the 2017 9.8 frame works fine with the dpx2 and f36 150mm

  51. #151
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    71
    I was talking about this...

    Looks like there’s extra room in frame for the extra air volume canister on rear shock.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  52. #152
    Steve
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    3
    plenty of room on mine. there will be a bushing in the lower eyelet to remove if you go for the ripmo shock. feels nice though. never going back.

  53. #153
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    681
    Just an FYI, I rode this bike in Squamish last weekend, and really liked it. It is a definite upgrade to the stock shock on my 2017 9.8. I really like the shock so far...

  54. #154
    mtbr member
    Reputation: slimphatty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    721
    Quote Originally Posted by jbaileyhayden View Post
    Just noticed Fanatic Bike has 2 more take-off Ripmo DPX2's in-stock:
    https://www.fanatikbike.com/products...x55mm-oem-2019

    Now I am thinking of going to a 36 fork with 150mm travel. At 136mm in the rear with the Ripmo DPX2, and a 150mm front 36, Specs come out close to the new Yeti SB 130. I think the head angle would be almost exact at 65.

    Hoping this raises the BB height as well, as the pedal strikes drive me crazy when throwing on the 27.5+ wheelset.

    For the 29er wheelset, slap on the new XR5 2.6's out front, and XR4 2.6 in the back.. should be a beast.
    let us know how it rides with the 36. It think that'd be an awesome ripper. That 34 in the front is the only thing kinda holding me back on this bike.

  55. #155
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by slimphatty View Post
    let us know how it rides with the 36. It think that'd be an awesome ripper. That 34 in the front is the only thing kinda holding me back on this bike.
    Post #144

  56. #156
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    965
    Quote Originally Posted by idonteven191 View Post
    from what i've found, i believe its a light/medium and it has a .4in volume spacer. have it, love it
    Are you talking about the Ripmo take off? light/medium meaning comp/rebound?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Ripley LS shock: Fox DPX2
    By cgnreno in forum Ibis
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-03-2018, 06:11 AM
  2. Wreckoning + Fox DPX2
    By titusquasi in forum Evil Bikes
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 08-01-2018, 11:02 AM
  3. Fox DPX2 on following?
    By sandwich in forum Evil Bikes
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-06-2017, 01:45 PM
  4. New Fox DpX2 shock
    By yeti575inCA in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 06-24-2017, 10:36 AM
  5. Fox Float DPX2
    By junior77 in forum Yeti
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-14-2017, 10:02 AM

Members who have read this thread: 243

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

mtbr.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.