Does Trek let you change orders from their stock configuration?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Does Trek let you change orders from their stock configuration?

I really dig the looks of the Superfly 100 AL Elite alot more than the AL Pro. Really wish I could get the Superfly 100 Elite with the Carbon fiber frame but at over $5000 if I want to stay married I better not even think of buying that bike. The white and red really looks sharp to me on the AL Elite. However I have heard the AL Elite is at least 2 lbs heavier than the AL Pro. If I got the AL Elite I'd like to know would Trek allow me to special order the bike so that the fork came with a 15Q thru axle? Because that is a must for me. I also would change the wheels to a set of Stans Arch rims. I'd also like it to be 2 x 10. In the end all these changes might come to way too much money but before I look into it does Trek allow these type of special orders?

Thanks,

Chuck

mtbr member
    They prob won't but shoot them an email- many smaller companies would so maybe trek will

I hate that name.
    No, but talk to your lbs. They might be able to work something out. Curious though, you say you don't like the AL Pro looks, but would get the carbon Elite if you had the money? Those two bikes are the same color scheme and look extremely similar.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by blunderbuss View Post
    No, but talk to your lbs. They might be able to work something out. Curious though, you say you don't like the AL Pro looks, but would get the carbon Elite if you had the money? Those two bikes are the same color scheme and look extremely similar.
    Yes I know that about the Carbon Elite however I'm willing to sacrifice looks for the added benefit of less weight from Carbon.

SS Pusher Man
    Not for the money you want to spend. The bike will show up stock.

However your LBS should allow you to swap out parts, but it is up to them how much they credit you back for the parts that you swap.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.:nono:

Ebikes are not bicycles :nono:

mtbr member
    The answer is no.

And mtnbikej is correct you can likely work out trading the components that came with the bike for something else with your LBS, mine has done that in the past although only when it was to upgrade, not downgrade and they would not trade a fork out, ( I thought that was kinda dumb myself ).
    "Let the wheels spin."

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Work with your LBS. I had no problems when I bought my 2011 SF100. They traded out the shifters, rear derailleur, wheels, and crank for me.

-Tom

SS Pusher Man
    Quote Originally Posted by jmountain View Post
    The answer is no.

And mtnbikej is correct you can likely work out trading the components that came with the bike for something else with your LBS, mine has done that in the past although only when it was to upgrade, not downgrade and they would not trade a fork out, ( I thought that was kinda dumb myself ).
    A lot of shops won't swap out a fork from a complete bike because the steerer tube is already cut. Depending on the size of the frame the fork comes off of, the shop may have a hard time selling that fork.
    Bicycles donít have motors or batteries.:nono:

Ebikes are not bicycles :nono:

mtbr member
    On the flip side, Trek will put random parts on bikes they ship out (that are not the spec parts) if they don't have the correct parts in stock. Cranks. Tires. Etc. I've lucked out on this scoring a set of Racing Ralph tires on my HiFi Pro ... but I hear it can go the other way too.
    2017 Trek Top Fuel 9.8 SL

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Yeah I talked to my local Trek store and the manager told me we could change things out but he said it would be so expensive that it would be cost prohibitive. Oh well tried. Guess I'm gonna build myself a Ventana El Rey or wait til Ventana comes out with their new 650b FS bike.

Chuck

Ride More, Work Less
    Too bad Trek doesn't have any "project one" options for mtbs. It seems like they used to offer this for the Elite 9 series cross country frames.

As for value, you might could find some '10 and '11 sitting in some larger LBS looking for a good home. This might give you a little extra latitude for part swaps. No thru axle, but you could still build a nice ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    Too bad Trek doesn't have any "project one" options for mtbs. It seems like they used to offer this for the Elite 9 series cross country frames.

As for value, you might could find some '10 and '11 sitting in some larger LBS looking for a good home. This might give you a little extra latitude for part swaps. No thru axle, but you could still build a nice ride.
    If I am going to do that I'd rather do a Ventana build from the ground up. Heck I can even contact Sherwood directly and have him build a frame to my specs. Also if I am going to have a 29er FS I want thru axle.

Chuck

Ride More, Work Less
    If you know exactly what you want, then a ground up build would ensure you get it. A tru axle wasn't a deal breaker for me, but I can see where you are coming from.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    If you know exactly what you want, then a ground up build would ensure you get it. A tru axle wasn't a deal breaker for me, but I can see where you are coming from.
    Yeah my El Padrino has the thru axle and I can honestly feel the difference on my rides over the skinny skewers. I really like the geo of the Superfly 100 bikes but if I am going to build a bike from the ground up I'd rather give my money to a small builder still buiding exclusively in America. Not there is anything wrong with Trek at all. It is just that I like the little guy. The Superfly 100 Elite AL though is a great looking bike just wish the Pro AL had that color combo and I'd buy one without hesitation. I know looks are a silly reason to make a choice on a bike but when I am spending big money I want to be completely satisfied.

Chuck

Members who have read this thread: 0