Demo'd a 2017 Fuel 29 and 27.5+ and a 2017 Remedy...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2015

Demo'd a 2017 Fuel 29 and 27.5+ and a 2017 Remedy...

Yesterday I was able to demo all three bikes on a short section of technical singletrack. All three bikes were 9.8 trim level, size 19.5 and all were set with the mino link in low. I did not try the high. For perspective, I'm currently riding a 2015 Fuel EX 9.8 27.5 in the 18.5 size. My fuel has been heavily upgraded and is closer to a 2015 or 2016 Remedy than a Fuel. It is also slightly too small for me, which is one reason I'm looking to upgrade.

27.5 plus: Let's get it out of the way, the bottom bracket is low. I realize it would be slightly better with the mino link set in high, but I like the geometry in low. I never got excited about the plus wheels and tires, maybe on a different type of trail I'd see benefits. I determined pretty quickly that it wasn't for me due to the low bottom bracket and plus wheels and tires.

Remedy: Awesome! By far the funnest bike I've ever ridden. It fit me like a glove, the 50mm stem and 780 bars were a great match and gave me very good control. The Rockshox suspension was super smooth and supple. I rode with the shock in pedal mode and it seemed very efficient and familiar with the Reaktiv valving. It jumped, hopped and wheelied very well for a longer travel bike. The thing that stuck with me about this bike is how confident I felt on it, I feel like I could do anything on it. For my preference it needed 1x and a swap to lighter wheels, I currently run Line Elites on my fuel and they would be a great upgrade on this bike.

Fuel 29: this bike makes the most sense for me and is the one I should buy. The reach felt longer than the Remedy, but I'd probably swap the 60mm stem for a 50 and I think it would be spot on for me (I'm 5-11 with a 34 inch inseam and short torso/long arms). It felt more capable than any 29er I've ridden, after one loop I started to get the feel for cornering, getting the seat out of the way and leaning sooner seemed to be the key. I was also surprised by how easy it was to hop and jump, it really felt different than the 29ers I've ridden. The bike was fast, there's no doubt about it, faster than the other two on flat and uphill sections, I didn't have enough downhill to really compare, but I would have no doubt that it would fast and capable. The Fox Performance Fork felt great, comparable to the 2016 Fit 4 I have on my fuel, in fact I couldn't tell a difference.

To summarize, the plus bike isn't for me, bottom bracket is too low and I struggled to see an advantage compared to the other two. The Remedy is incredibly confidence inspiring and fun, and the 29er is very capable, fun and fast. I know I should buy the fuel 29 but I can't stop thinking about that Remedy.

Feel free to ask me any questions that you may have.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Comparison between the two trek fuels? 2015 vs. 2017? Or too hard to tell because of different size?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jgdblue View Post
    To summarize, the plus bike isn't for me, bottom bracket is too low and I struggled to see an advantage compared to the other two. The Remedy is incredibly confidence inspiring and fun, and the 29er is very capable, fun and fast. I know I should buy the fuel 29 but I can't stop thinking about that Remedy.

Feel free to ask me any questions that you may have.
    Great insight jgdblue. Would you elaborate on what aspects of the 27.5 Plus you didn't like besides the low BB?

Also, what type of terrain were you riding & what conditions do you feel the Plus bike would shine in.

Thank you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by junior77 View Post
    Comparison between the two trek fuels? 2015 vs. 2017? Or too hard to tell because of different size?

The 2017 Fuel (both 29er and plus) was noticeably stiffer and more stable. Both on the ground and in the air over jumps and other obstacles. I'm guessing the longer reach and slacker hta helped in this respect.

Beyond that, it's hard to discern whether the other differences were due to my bike being a 27.5 and having smaller, lighter wheels, and it being a smaller size with a shorter reach. My bike was quicker to accelerate and flick around than any of the others, but once again it has lighter wheels and is a smaller size and lighter overall weight.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by polo7 View Post
    Great insight jgdblue. Would you elaborate on what aspects of the 27.5 Plus you didn't like besides the low BB?

Also, what type of terrain were you riding & what conditions do you feel the Plus bike would shine in.

Thank you.
    Low bottom bracket aside, there really wasn't anything about the plus bike that I "disliked". I guess I was just looking for some kind of advantage that wasn't readily apparent to me. The trail I was riding was twisty technical dirt singletrack with roots, a couple small jumps and short ups and downs. I really don't know what sort of trail it would excel at, since I really have no experience riding plus tires.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Remedy: Awesome! By far the funnest bike I've ever ridden.
    so... youre getting the Fuel?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by idividebyzero View Post
    so... youre getting the Fuel?
    Lol, I know. If I lived anywhere near a bike park, or the right kind of trails I would have bought the Remedy without hesitation. The reality for me though, is the fuel is so perfectly suited to the kinds of trails that we have here, and no doubt would be just as much fun. It's definitely faster for me, and fast is fun. It's also a bike that I'm guessing after getting to know it as well as I know my current 27.5 bike, I will like it even more than the Remedy.

mtbr member
    Good review, Lots of good info
    I was only able to demo a Fuel EX8 29er and ride my buddies P1 Fuel EX29er around
    just between those two. The carbon feels like a 29lb bike were the EX8 felt like a 40 lb bike when climbing and pedaling.

Thanks for the good info though.
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by brent701 View Post
    Good review, Lots of good info
    I was only able to demo a Fuel EX8 29er and ride my buddies P1 Fuel EX29er around
    just between those two. The carbon feels like a 29lb bike were the EX8 felt like a 40 lb bike when climbing and pedaling.

Thanks for the good info though.
    Strange...considering there's probably only a ~1lb difference max from the frame.