Confusion over intended use- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2016

Confusion over intended use

Hey,

Quick question, I notice when searching bikes on treks website when I select gravel it ends up showing the crocket which seems correct but also a number of domane alr options. I thought the domane was s road race bike ? Is the alr designation different than other domane bikes ? In the early stages of scoping out gravel bikes from numerous manufacturers and just noticed this and thought this really looks like a road only bike but maybe not ?

Zaf
    mtbr member
    Domane was designed with the decoupled seat tube to handle the vigours of Paris to Roubaix. It also has better clearance for large tyres than the Madone, so is not a poor choice for a gravel grinder.

Sent from my Agora 4G Pro using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Interesting, I'll keep that in mind. Trying to scope something out gravel capable but kind of leans towards to road side more then dirt specific since I'll be using it most on pavement and fine ground gravel

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I have seen a Domane disc set up with 32 mm wide gravel tires. It seems like it would make a great gravel bike, based on your description.

mtbr member
    Compare rake, trail, chainstay length between road, road endurance, gravel and cx bikes. You'll see these all increase as the intended surfaces go from paved to soft.
    What, me worry?

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    Crocket vs Domane (to my mind) is a similar comparison to Fuel EX vs Remedy.

With the FEX vs Rem it's more trail riding or more "enduro" riding

With Croc vs Mado it's more CX riding or more road riding.

As a starting point: If you're leaning more CX with some gravel go Crocket, if you're going more road with some gravel go Madone.

The new ALR with 32mm tires and disc brakes looks like a really really good bike for road/B road/gravel adventures.

mtbr member
    The domane was originally market as an endurance road bike (which has some overlap with rough roads/smoother end of gravel), but with the newer disc versions trek's kind of pushing it more towards a gravel grinder light if you will. Best bike for dirty kansas? No. Good bike for mostly road riding with stretches of dirt roads and maybe the odd smooth trail? Yes.

FYI my co-worker has an ALR disc set up with 35c Compass tires that measure out even a touch wider, though clearance is pretty tight (alright since I live in CA). But, at least on the disc you could probably fit a small 33c cx/gravel tire for more off road options, though the bike really is better suited to road then big off road adventures.