Broke chain on GF Rig (cross post)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Broke chain on GF Rig (cross post)

I have a 2010 GF Rig. The chain is a SRAM PC-1 chain. I am guessing that it is a 1/8 chain. I have done a lot of searching and it sounds like the SRAM 8-speed chain would also work on the Rig.

My question is which is better, SRAM PC-1 or SRAM 8-speed? They are both 1/8. They would both work. What is the difference between the two? Does the powerlink work on both? Which should I purchase?

Jim

mtbr member
    an 8-speed chain is a 3/32" chain, not 1/8". a SRAM chain made for derailleurs will work with a power link, but a 1/8" single-speed chain will use an old school master link. i don't think anyone makes a 1/8" power link.

if your chainring and rear cog are made for a 3/32" chain, there is no point in putting a 1/8" chain on it. it won't necessarily be stronger with a 1/8" chain. if you want a really strong 3/32" chain, look into the KMC z610hx. otherwise, a regular old SRAM 8-speed should be fine. read some of the topics in the Singlespeed forum about chains. most riders seem to agree that a regular 8-speed chain works just fine.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks for the info.

I switched to the SRAM 8 speed chain.