4500 disc-replace forks??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011

4500 disc-replace forks??

Ok so I haven't been mountain biking in a long time and decided to get back into the sport. I went out and bought a new trek 4500 disc. So far I really like the bike and have been riding in town and some decent trails for two months. One thing that I'd like to change out sometime is the forks. Sr. Suntour XCm v3 100mm is what its got now and I know they arn't the best ha so i am wondering what would be a good replacement if I'm going to be doing more trails, jumps, and couple feet drops. I would take new or most likely used that has more travel but not too much that it will look weird geometry wise. Im looking to spend about 200 but not too much more unless I really like it. Any other upgrades/suggestions would be greatly appreciated
    thanks

mtbr member
    Marzocchi Marathon, $200 at Price Point. 32mm stanchions, lockout, adjustable rebound and air preload, 4.2 pounds. That's pretty much your only choice for a new fork, but it wouldn't take any big (2 ft+) drops.

Sent from a boring meeting via Tapatalk.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    And these would be better than suntour xcm with lockout? any used i should look for? whats the thing with these air forks versus normal?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by p550iq View Post
    And these would be better than suntour xcm with lockout? any used i should look for? whats the thing with these air forks versus normal?
    Sorry for the delay getting back to you -- I was on a weekend ride. Yes, I would say these are a good bit better than the Suntour XCM. Comparing specs, Marz comes in with 32mm stanchions and 4.2 lbs. Suntour has 30mm stanchions and weighs 5.6 lbs. So, the Marz is both stiffer and lighter.

They both have preload & rebound adjustments, and lockout. However, the Marz preload adjustment is done through an air spring, which in my opinion gives you better control over the sag adjustment (how much the fork sags down under normal rider weight).

There are reviews for the Suntour on here; the majority seem to be pretty negative. Not many reviews of the Marz, but it's a brand new fork.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    What about a rockshox tora? i can get a take off fox 32 f100 for 300-good deal?

mtbr member
    $300 for a new Fox is a great deal. Turns out the Pricepoint closeout of the Marz Marathon is over. They now have the 2012 for $300. The Fox is a waaaay better deal than that. As a matter of fact, where are you finding that deal!?!

Urban Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_bloe View Post
    $300 for a new Fox is a great deal. Turns out the Pricepoint closeout of the Marz Marathon is over. They now have the 2012 for $300. The Fox is a waaaay better deal than that. As a matter of fact, where are you finding that deal!?!
    Yea, go for the fox!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Well i have a bunch of friends who are major dirt jumpers and one of them bought a brand new 2010 32 f100, rode for a couple of times, and decided he didn't like it and so i can buy it for 300 or another of my friends has 2009 fox f120 for 230 that i could buy so which one would be better?