2020 Trek Fuel ex - Page 3- Mtbr.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by squeakymcgillicuddy View Post
    Love my Rally helmet, super comfortable.

mjshaw sounds like your shop is trying to treat you well and earn your business...you're not obligated to buy everything from them but check them out first for accessories. Good chance they can order that Troy Lee helmet if your heart's set on it.

Buying from an LBS rather than consumer direct has advantages, especially if you continue to do business after your bike purchase.
    They donít have to earn my business Iíve been buying bikes and skiing equipment there since I was a kid haha. Maybe theyíll cut me a deal on a helmet or some accessories

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Any 9.8 users that can tell about the 36 Fox fork experience? I used the suspension calculator values for my 100kg. For the rear shock And Iím very satisfied. But for the fork it feels like I use only around 50% with recommend values in open mode and when I really push with full force into to fork while riding slowly.
    Anyone tried out the mino link option already on the 2020? Does it make sense to try out the different options?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Maybe you need to remove a volume spacer from the fork?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    3 hour test ride on a large 9.7 at UC Santa Cruz-I would say I am an advanced intermediate rider----I ride quick but not interested in PR's and like to keep my wheels near the ground---no flying---and I am getting longer in the tooth so the bike has to climb well.

First bikes I have tested and am passing on-----
    SC Tallboy 4--too many pedal strikes, VPP still hangs up at slow speed against square edged obstacles, bike was sluggish in flatter terrain, large was very tight (619 ett)and XL a bit long. Pivot climbs better but TB4 decends better for sure.
    IBIS Ripley-----large was way too tight and STA put lots of pressure on the hands----felt very odd on flats---nice climber and a good descender but fit issues. I wanted to love this bike but alas---may still test an XL but feel odds of it working are not great.
    Giant Trance----no real issues but for no good reason never seriously considered it.

Current bike----Pivot Mach 429 Large----great climbing bike and nice and snappy handler but gets over whelmed easily in tech.

Trek test-----I am 6 foot with long arms and a 34.4 inseam so long limbs----the bike felt natural from the get go.
    Climbing in trail mode----motored right along--a bit muted compared to the Pivot but felt efficient.
    Flats-----bike felt good---not sluggish but not as snappy as the Pivot.
    Descending---once I got air pressures correct the bike was very capable-----more so than the Pivot.
    Tires-----not sure about those 2.6's------would need more riding---but I suspect the bike would be snappier with Minions.
    Components-----I was very impressed with the Rhythm Fork---no complaints and for sure I would not upgrade it-------I doubt I need or have use for the 36. The brakes with those big rotors were impressive. The NX drive train surprised me as it was flawless---and the dropper inspite of bad press seemed fine for me-----not a fox transfer but it worked great.
    Weight----with flats 31.4 pounds

Overall would like a bit more responsiveness and suspect a tire change would do that--but this is the only bike I am considering at this point.

This friday I will do the same ride on a Pivot T429 as that is a viable alternative------we will see how they compare.

Also see the new Norco Optic----but it looks like they are pushing it toward the enduro side of trail like the TB4 so likely not a good fit for me.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Okk1980 View Post
    Any 9.8 users that can tell about the 36 Fox fork experience? I used the suspension calculator values for my 100kg. For the rear shock And Iím very satisfied. But for the fork it feels like I use only around 50% with recommend values in open mode and when I really push with full force into to fork while riding slowly.
    Anyone tried out the mino link option already on the 2020? Does it make sense to try out the different options?
    Right off the bat, I removed two tokens from my fox 36. Then this past Monday I removed the remaining two. I haven't been back on a trail but jumping around urban assaulting and with incomplete shockwiz data it's telling me to add a token. This all being said, I had aired down to about 75psi (I weigh 185) and plan to bump it up to 80psi for this evenings ride. I should have better shockwiz data and I'll know if Im blowing through all my travel after that ride. I predict I'll be putting at least one token back but we'll see. I want it as plush as possible without bottoming on every hit!

Right now, I am leaving the Mino Link on low. Have not had any issues with pedal strikes and the angles all feel great!

TOP TIER LURKER
    As PoshJosh has suggested, start with removing one volume spacer from the fork. It's simple to do.
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    The 36 is a beast of a fork, in a good way. At near 200 pounds, I run either one or zero tokens, and typically less than 70 psi.

Note that my rugged riding involves ground-level stuff. No drops over two feet.
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Does anyone add any protection for the lower linkage from mud?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ErnoNykanen View Post
    Does anyone add any protection for the lower linkage from mud?
    Lower linkage?

-r

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by oclvframe View Post
    Lower linkage?

-r
    The pivot where chainstays are connected to front triangle. The rear tire seems to throw quite a bit of mud there and I was wondering if that's something that could be covered with something like a cut marshguard or inner tube.

sometime mtbr
    May 2010
    My Fuel Ex8 arrived at the shop today and will be built later today. Hoping to pick up tomorrow. To say Iím excited is an understatement

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The pivot where chainstays are connected to front triangle. The rear tire seems to throw quite a bit of mud there and I was wondering if that's something that could be covered with something like a cut marshguard or inner tube.
    If there is a good option Iím interested in it too. Getís very muddy there: 2020 Trek Fuel ex-e0fec641-bbf0-47d2-9f95-ea36eefbac69.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2020 Trek Fuel ex-61176f6e-acf4-4216-a7a7-307c0c297221.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Kosmo---hope you have your bike----if so what model and how does the 30T work

mtbr member
    Jan 2016

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Shocks----while I had no issue with the reactive on the 9.7 I wonder with the 9.8/9.9 can one install a dpx2 later w/o all sorts of odd hardware like before----will it just bolt up? How would one determine dpx2 for this bike?

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    If there is a good option Iím interested in it too. Getís very muddy there: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E0FEC641-BBF0-47D2-9F95-EA36EEFBAC69.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	193.2 KB 
ID:	1286949
    Yeah, we would all benefit from a solution for that area. That, coupled with the shabby pivot hardware, causes driveside main lower bearing to go south about 5x faster (maybe one season for me here in NC) than every other bearing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    My friend and mechanic at my LBS says yes the DPX2 will mount up. He has one available for his coming frame if finds re:aktive proves to faulty.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pctloper View Post
    Through a comedy of events, today will find me in Moab, with my Top Fuel, with my new FEX still in the shop at home.

Luckily, I've got a good set of 2.4 XR4s on some wide-ish, compliant, aluminum wheels!

The LBS guys said the 30 looks fine, and spoke to Trek about the clearance. Claim is that less clearance = less chain slap. Unsure, but they probably know more than me. They sure didn't make the change for no reason.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Shocks----while I had no issue with the reactive on the 9.7 I wonder with the 9.8/9.9 can one install a dpx2 later w/o all sorts of odd hardware like before----will it just bolt up? How would one determine dpx2 for this bike?
    210 x 55 mm. Very common size, including the upcoming inexpensive coil shock from X-Fusion.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    Through a comedy of events, today will find me in Moab, with my Top Fuel, with my new FEX still in the shop at home.

Luckily, I've got a good set of 2.4 XR4s on some wide-ish, compliant, aluminum wheels!

The LBS guys said the 30 looks fine, and spoke to Trek about the clearance. Claim is that less clearance = less chain slap. Unsure, but they probably know more than me. They sure didn't make the change for no reason.
    Looking forward to a ride report on the TF in Moab!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    The 30t chainring does not work on a 9.8 carbon frame. It rubs on the 3 high gears.. it would eat thru the rubber guard and carbon in no time..

https://imgur.com/gallery/R1GTMpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jbaileyhayden View Post
    The 30t chainring does not work on a 9.8 carbon frame. It rubs on the 3 high gears.. it would eat thru the rubber guard and carbon in no time..

Interesting. I wonder if when the suspension is sagged it actually still rubs.

-r

mtbr member
    Oct 2017

Whoa. Guess that would eliminate running a 28 tooth like I do on my 2017 Slash and Fuel EX. I know that most people don't want/need that kind of ring on the front, but with my severe osteoarthritis, it can really help at times.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    seems like trek wants anyone who needs a 30T to buy anything else====I know trek says it works but the design is not giving me any confidence----riding Pivot T429 in the morning------did you actually ride the bike with a 30T ??? Frustrating as the Trek suspension mgr says he rides with a 30t----I liked the bike but the 32T simply is a bit much

mtbr member
    I donít have the new Fuel but the 32t/42 stock setup was too much for me. Now if I had a 50T rear Iím sure Iíd be fine but a 28T front helped me a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    even with 32/51 xt build in the easiest gear compared to my 2X with 24/42 the 32/51 at 60rpm is about .4 mph faster-----just not what I need---hope to hear from someone with a 30T and actually riding it----looking at the 32T I conclude there is little hope. Very interesting as the aluminum frames come with a 30T but could be differing clearances

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I just finished swapping everything from a 2017 9.8, cracked the frame, Trek sent me a new 2020 frame (kashima coat on the rear shock a surprise), props to them for owning up to their warranty. I've only had it in the bike stand, and rode it down the street on the lower gears. It rubs so bad on a 30t that I would not feel comfortable taking it on a true ride. That rubber guard would be gone super quick..

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Not that I'm in the market for a new bike, but if my 2017 Fuel EX were stolen and I had to replace it, I'm afraid this would be a deal breaker for me. Again, I recognize that this is not an issue for a lot of people, but it is for me. It kind of seems to be something of an engineering oversight. I guess we'll never know whether the design team discussed this.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    With 50t cassette a 32t is perfection and much more efficient with less overall fatigue.

Community Manager at Trek
    Just to address the low chainline concerns, the rubber guard is thickened to prevent the chain from touching the frame but also helps reduce noise (as was intended). You'll find the chain to sit low for both a 30t and 34t chainring. Also, this was all designed to work with a 10-50t (SRAM) or 10-51t (Shimano) cassette.
    Community Manager | Trek Bicycle Corporation | www.trekbikes.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Hey Mitch,
    Can you clarify for us the minimal chain ring sizes for each the aluminum and carbons frames.

Hey Mitch,
    Can you clarify for us the minimal chain ring sizes for each the aluminum and carbons frames.
    Both carbon and alloy have a minimum of 30t.

There is more spacing for a 30t on the alloy, so we stock that with a 30t and the carbon with a 32t.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I'm surprised on the 30t for carbon. I have it on now for a new frame and it rubs from the highest gear and the next 4 gears. I can see that eating thru the rubber and start slapping the carbon.

I'm surprised on the 30t for carbon. I have it on now for a new frame and it rubs from the highest gear and the next 4 gears. I can see that eating thru the rubber and start slapping the carbon.
    I don't expect they would have designed it to hit the frame, but I can see the guard wearing down which is why it is replaceable. On a 32t, you would have less rubbing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I don't expect they would have designed it to hit the frame, but I can see the guard wearing down which is why it is replaceable. On a 32t, you would have less rubbing.

I see what you're saying, but it still seems, well, kinda on the close side of things if you want to run 30 t and have to worry about replacing the guard fairly frequently (if you use the higher gears, which many people don't do that often).

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    I am considering one of these Bikes and will demo one in two weeks. Also only on my shortlist is the norco optic.
    Has anyone tried the fuel with smaller tyres? Personally I donít like the doughy and heavy feel of 2.5 wide tyres on my current 130mm trail bike and strongly prefer the responsiveness and feel of 2.35 minions. For me itís night and day! I am guessing the big 2.6s on the trek may be behind some of the comments about the new trek feeling too soft.

Also does anyone know, if desired, can you add volume spacers to to the reaktiv thu shaft shock as per other fox shocks?

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    So the bike is designed to handle a 30T if one is willing to replace the guard-or we pretend we are on an 8 speed and stay out of the other gears.---I would conclude that is a less than ideal design and I may X this bike out for this.

Sad as I like the 140/130 but I am back to the Pivot T429 130/120 as the most likely bike-----rode this again today. For sure the Trek is plusher and a bit slower handling everywhere---those 2.6 tires are big-------the Pivot has a firmer and snappier feel---as one would expect being DW and lower travel. I prefer to climb on the Pivot and descend on the Trek. The Trek 9.8 build is a super deal compared to the XT Pivot---Fox 36 and carbon wheels for $600 less before discounting.

Ironically we see Pinkbike and Flow Mountain bike pointing out chain slap as an issue with the 32T---go figure

I see some folks here that think 32/50 is perfect-----but some of us need or prefer a bit more gear due to terrain/affects of age/lack of fitness. Trek gets this and specs the 30T on the EX8 but seem to have needlessly created an issue on the carbon frames.

Oh well I need to mull this over but it is irritating at best and a show stopper at worse----good thing there are lots of good bikes these days

mtbr member
    What are you guys climbing to warrant a 28 or 30t chainring with a eagle system in the rear?
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Not all of us have a eagle cassette, still running 11x

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by brent701 View Post
    What are you guys climbing to warrant a 28 or 30t chainring with a eagle system in the rear?
    Most of the time, I don't need it, but there are places here and there on the North Shore that get pretty steep, and that's when I really appreciate having a 28t. The difference may be small, but to me, having had elven knee operations, it's important. My buddy also got one and he likes it too. And it's not like I don't ride frequently. I do, but climbing has never been my strong suit...

mtbr member
    Not all of us have a eagle cassette, still running 11x
    I could only assume it was based off a eagle. This is a 2020 Fuel EX thread and they all come with a 12 speed but still. even with a 42 or 46 out back. They most have some LARGE hills to climb

Quote Originally Posted by bjeast View Post
    Most of the time, I don't need it, but there are places here and there on the North Shore that get pretty steep, and that's when I really appreciate having a 28t. The difference may be small, but to me, having had elven knee operations, it's important. My buddy also got one and he likes it too. And it's not like I don't ride frequently. I do, but climbing has never been my strong suit...

OH trust me I hate climbing also, so I am right there with ya on the feeling.
    Was just wondering though, lol
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I could only assume it was based off a eagle. This is a 2020 Fuel EX thread and they all come with a 12 speed but still. even with a 42 or 46 out back. They most have some LARGE hills to climb

OH trust me I hate climbing also, so I am right there with ya on the feeling.
    Was just wondering though, lol
    No worries! I also should have specified that I have 50t on both my Fuel and Slash. :-)

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Most days 32/50 works but there are days------my 2x with the 24/42 at 60 rpm is .4 mph slower than eagle-(4 mph)---and I use that gear often---that is 10% more speed with eagle---not minor for me. Just irritating to have a bike I like and have the design have this issue.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    This is my review on my new Fuel Ex 9.8:
    I had to replace my 2014 fuel ex 9.8 with 27.5 wheels. That bike was updated with DT Swiss Carbon wheels and eagle GX. I used that bike form after work rides to full day tours but with a focus a nice downhills. I had some doubts if I should switch to the 2020 Fuel Ex as it's almost 2kg heavier then my old bike. So I also tested the new top fuel. But as this bike doesn't have more travel then my old fuel ex I decided to go for the Fuel Ex. And I don't have to regret my decision! That bike is a blast. The bike is awesome going downhill, no matter if its really steep or on fast flow trails. And it's so quiet.
    I'm impressed how well it climbs on rough terrain. So I can not complain about the 2.6 XR4. I even think about changing the rear tire to a XR3 to have less resistance on the flats.
    When I did the first ride, I was also thinking about going for a 30 chainring, as it felt one gear is missing after coming form old fuel ex with 27.5 wheels. But after some more rides I don't think that I need to change it. On normal climbs I don't feel the extra wight on it.
    The storage is a cool feature. So I don't need to carry a backpack with me for shorter rides.
    If I had to complain, it would only be that the SLX brake grinds from time to time. I would also appreciate something that prevents mud is getting stuck between the front triangle and the chainstays.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Got a good 30mi ride on mine today.....still working out the fork (need to remove tokens still...per my shockwiz).Attachment 1286081
    Nice bike! Has all the tech wizardry and newness made your old, slow ass go down hills any faster?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    For anyone curious on the BITS internal storage bag, it's a tight fit when trying to fit a tube and a couple tools all in the bag. I tried to squeeze a tube, multitool, mini pump (it's really small, topeak race rocket), small bag spare bolts, quick links, etc, and was a no go. Trying to fit it all in the bag was super tight, and then fitting it in the down tube.. no go.

What did work, is putting the tools, spare parts, pump in the bag, and sliding that toward bottom bracket. Then putting the tube in by itself (not in the bag) sliding toward the top at the headset.

Trail Rider

I Run a 28t with a 11-50 11spd Sunrace cassette. Healthy knees, fit 50yr old.

There are plenty of climbs here in New Mexico that warrant that gearing for me.

Some trails have relatively short steep sections where I'm only using it for a few minutes.

There are other extended climbs, reaching elevation above 9-10,000 feet where I use it quite a lot.

There's a shuttle ride that we do in Santa Fe -- Climb (3000 feet) Aspen Meadows to the top of Raven's Ridge, tops out at 12,200 feet. All worth it though because the descent is 5-6000 feet.

Not being able to run a 28t on the 2020 is a deal breaker for me.

Seems odd that Trek didn't account for this, or decided that there was no need for people running 28t chainrings.

Saying that it's normal for a 30t to rub against, and eventually through the chainstay guard seems like an excuse for a design flaw IMO.
    2020 SC Hightower

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    If there is a good option Iím interested in it too. Getís very muddy there: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E0FEC641-BBF0-47D2-9F95-EA36EEFBAC69.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	193.2 KB 
ID:	1286949
    I have a mud guard attached for the top but nothing for the bottom on my 2018 model

mtbr member
    Aug 2017

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mlx john View Post
    Saying that it's normal for a 30t to rub against, and eventually through the chainstay guard seems like an excuse for a design flaw IMO.
    I'd have to agree. I mean I'm a big Trek fan - I own a 2017 Slash, 2017 Fuel EX and a 2018 Procaliber, and my daughter loves her 2019 Domane. But this just seems to be a real design flaw that found its way into production and will be a deal breaker for me. If I had to replace my Fuel EX, it wouldn't be with another Fuel EX for this reason alone. And I really enjoy my Fuel!

2020 Trek Fuel ex-squamish-nov-4-2018-6.jpg
    Enjoying my Fuel...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mthopton View Post
    Nice bike! Has all the tech wizardry and newness made your old, slow ass go down hills any faster?

The tech wizardry, not so much.....the increased stiffness in frame and fork.....yes....a lot!

-r

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Today. Slickrock trail. Both directions. The 30/50 gear made it a fun experience, though I doubt I used it more than 5% of the time.

Wouldn't be without it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I do not think kosmo is riding his fuel ex with that 30 but his other bike----from previous post

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    How much time do you folks spend in the hard gears that you would ever fear wearing out that guard? It is a mtb not a road bike, lets be realistic.

mtbr member
    Thatís just nuts. If it works for you guys. Awesome.

I upgraded my fuel to a 34t
    My other bikes, well the only ones I currently own are both SS.

But my races are usually 30+ miles and from 2500-7500 feet of climbing

Too Many .

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by PoshJosh View Post
    How much time do you folks spend in the hard gears that you would ever fear wearing out that guard? It is a mtb not a road bike, lets be realistic.
    Trek missed an opportunity to brand this as an innovation. Idea: make the guard out of wax. When the chain drags the friction heats the wax, lubing the chain.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    My irritation is that the suspension chief at Trek says (in a youtube video with summit bikes) a 30 works and that is what he rides and he says that being close helps with chain slap------both are proving to be bogus---so we have an executive feeding us this. We find this out on our own and then a Trek person on the forum says it is designed to rub. This lack of treating customers like we would like has me moving on.

For fun beyond the self lubing chain:
    Of course we could just remove the smallest 4 gears from our cassette and save some of the weight of the storage box---or maybe the storage box is meant to hold an extra chain guard.

Trail Rider
    Thatís just nuts. If it works for you guys. Awesome.

I upgraded my fuel to a 34t
    My other bikes, well the only ones I currently own are both SS.

Phoenix elevation is just over 1k, highest point is 2700... I'd run a 34 as well.
    2020 SC Hightower

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I do not think kosmo is riding his fuel ex with that 30 but his other bike----from previous post
    True. For a variety of reasons, the FEX is at home, fully built in the LBS with a 30t, while I ride the Top Fuel in Moab, also with a 30t.

And....the TF has surprised me. Of course it doesn't handle high-speed chunk as well as a FEX or Slash, but man does it climb the tech stuff! Really exceptional on the steep Slickrock Trail climbs yesterday.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018

That's why you don't need the 30. The terrain around here is pretty steep. I rode a trail today that was 3000ft in 5 miles...I needed the 30 on my Top Fuel...This was a pretty typical climb for this area.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yarbrough462 View Post
    That's why you don't need the 30. The terrain around here is pretty steep. I rode a trail today that was 3000ft in 5 miles...I needed the 30 on my Top Fuel...This was a pretty typical climb for this area.
    That I can see

Our biggest climb that we do is 1,000 feet in about 3 miles. Hitting 24% grade at the top. Shit hurts

Flagstaff is our big area of riding reaching over 8k in some spots. We donít adjust gearing for it though. Same amount of climbing just starts higher up.

Too Many .

mtbr member
    Maybe I'm getting old and curmudgeonly, but I'd like the option of running a 30 (or even 28t) ring as I'm not a fan of the f-ing heavy and/or f-ing expensive dinner-plate sized 12sp cassettes. The new Shimano ones go a long way to improving the $:g ratio, but still not as good as 11sp. 30:42 is good enough for me on a 27.5, would want something easier on a 29er though.

sometime mtbr
    May 2010
    When your a big guy like me you take all the gears you can get. Lol

sometime mtbr
    May 2010
    2020 Trek Fuel ex-9fe52a96-62f5-4315-b076-67e80e88f9d4.jpg
    Will have it out tomorrow for first ride. Shitty picture and doesnít do it justice. Excited is an understatement.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    congrats on the new bike!

Lover
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by youcoming View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9FE52A96-62F5-4315-B076-67E80E88F9D4.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	375.7 KB 
ID:	1287733
    Will have it out tomorrow for first ride. Shitty picture and doesnít do it justice. Excited is an understatement.
    Oh that gloss color paint job.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Name:	9FE52A96-62F5-4315-B076-67E80E88F9D4.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	375.7 KB 
ID:	1287733
    Sweet looking bike....you are gong to love it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    When your a big guy like me you take all the gears you can get. Lol
    I have to agree, I run 11-50 with 32t am 63 years old and find any smaller you loose efficiency and actually work harder over the long haul. Here in eastern Pa we have steep paunchy technical climbing and a bigger chainring offers better torque and power at top biggest rings with more control of your bike with less fatigue. On everything else bigger is better too! I understand if your a beginner to intermediate rider 30t and lower is a great place to start but should not be your end all be all chainring as your grow stronger.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Hi, today I noticed that the dropper post on my 9.8 stars making some strange loud sound when I press the lever. I didn't recognize this before.
    So if the seat post is fully extended and I press the lever and release I hear some "clong". I feel like the cable moves inside the bike and that mechanically something is happening.
    Anyone else experience something similar?
    I have on another bike a rockshox reverb from 2012 and I don't hear or feel something when I do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by bjeast View Post
    I see what you're saying, but it still seems, well, kinda on the close side of things if you want to run 30 t and have to worry about replacing the guard fairly frequently (if you use the higher gears, which many people don't do that often).
    I wouldn't expect to see this as something you'll be replacing often due to the material being quite durable. But it would still work as designed by reducing noise.

Hi, today I noticed that the dropper post on my 9.8 stars making some strange loud sound when I press the lever. I didn't recognize this before.
    So if the seat post is fully extended and I press the lever and release I hear some "clong". I feel like the cable moves inside the bike and that mechanically something is happening.
    Anyone else experience something similar?
    I have on another bike a rockshox reverb from 2012 and I don't hear or feel something when I do the same.
    I'd suggest having your LBS look this over. Without any of us hearing it first hand, it would be difficult to put the words to sound. It could be the cable/housing moving but it could be the dropper itself. Either way your shop can look it over and fix it should they find something they need.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by techfersure View Post
    I have to agree, I run 11-50 with 32t am 63 years old and find any smaller you loose efficiency and actually work harder over the long haul. Here in eastern Pa we have steep paunchy technical climbing and a bigger chainring offers better torque and power at top biggest rings with more control of your bike with less fatigue. On everything else bigger is better too! I understand if your a beginner to intermediate rider 30t and lower is a great place to start but should not be your end all be all chainring as your grow stronger.
    How much elevation do you put in in a typical ride? I'm not being facetious, I live in Idaho. 32t is great on my 27.5 but I needed lower on my stache (28t) or my knees ache horribly. I don't know where the people who wanted a 30t are riding, but it seems a little unfair to judge them as beginners based on your Eastern PA riding. Where I am, a many sub-1 hour rides will have 1200 to 1400 ft of continuous climbing (so the first half of the ride) and its not unusual for the longer rides to climb 2500ft+ continuous. Many people here get lower gears, not everyone of course, but many. You just get to the point where you need to spin, also it gives the 50t a break more often so the cassettes seem to last longer.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Why are folks debating what gears someone they do not know is using----note Trek specs the 30 for the aluminum models. The issue here is for those that want more gear for whatever reason cannot have the carbon fuel ex that way w/o having the chain run in lower gears. So they can either buy a different bike or decide to deal with this.

Trail Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by techfersure View Post
    Seriously? I've been riding mountain bikes for 30 years.
    Last edited by mlx john; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:59 AM. Reason: to remove snarkiness
    2020 SC Hightower

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Hey [email protected]

I've just picked up a Fuel EX 9.8 and before I get going on planned upgrades I'm keen to know if you can run a 150mm fork on this bike? It has been suggested in a few forums, but I can't find a clear yes or no. Expecting that if I upgrade the damper and go 150, that I'd need to keep the frame in steep mode.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    Maybe I'm getting old and curmudgeonly, but I'd like the option of running a 30 (or even 28t) ring as I'm not a fan of the f-ing heavy and/or f-ing expensive dinner-plate sized 12sp cassettes. The new Shimano ones go a long way to improving the $:g ratio, but still not as good as 11sp. 30:42 is good enough for me on a 27.5, would want something easier on a 29er though.
    I went from 30-10/42 to 34-10/50 and got double the km out of a chain.

Hell i even ran xt siltec on 11 too and my eagle chain was just a gx.

Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

sometime mtbr
    May 2010
    Got out today for for first ride on my bike and I am pretty impressed. Here are some of my thoughts. First of I think you could climb a wall with this bike. This is also the first bike Iíve ever rode with a dropper post and it was a special moment when u see how much different it is to get so low and far back on descents. It was very confidence inspiring but dropper will take some practice on to use it affectively. Iím amazed at the rear shock, I hear there is better but I have no idea how someone could complain about this. It was the first time Iíve rode a full suspension bike and not felt like I was bobbing all over the place. I rode in the trail setting for the whole ride. All in all Iím impressed only thing I didnít like was the grips. For info bike is a size XL and Iím 6í1Ē at 230 reach is perfect. 2020 Trek Fuel ex-f7fca429-6709-45be-a7e2-928ab2ee8acc.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Got out today for for first ride on my bike and I am pretty impressed. Here are some of my thoughts. First of I think you could climb a wall with this bike. This is also the first bike Iíve ever rode with a dropper post and it was a special moment when u see how much different it is to get so low and far back on descents. It was very confidence inspiring but dropper will take some practice on to use it affectively. Iím amazed at the rear shock, I hear there is better but I have no idea how someone could complain about this. It was the first time Iíve rode a full suspension bike and not felt like I was bobbing all over the place. I rode in the trail setting for the whole ride. All in all Iím impressed only thing I didnít like was the grips. For info bike is a size XL and Iím 6í1Ē at 230 reach is perfect. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F7FCA429-6709-45BE-A7E2-928AB2EE8ACC.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	415.5 KB 
ID:	1288047
    Very similar first ride experience here. And I have the 5 which apparently weighs a ton. 6'4" and XL feels spot on.

I'm also coming off an (XC) hardtail and was a bit worried with the 130 mm in the back with all the "complaints" about having to use the lockout for climbs. Quite the opposite: I didn't even touch the lever and I was already climbing just as well if not better the techy parts (though lots must be contributed to the 2,6" tires in these muddy conditions).

The knock block is also not an issue aside from making it a bit more difficult to maneuver in the bike storage. On the trail I never felt it and they are including quite slow techy stuff as well. Also having the dropper for the first time is just one of those things you probably can never go back from as it makes such a big difference.

I did get quite a few more pedal strikes and bash guard hits that I would've avoided with the old bike but I guess this is also just about learning the new dimensions and limits of the bike.

Btw, I tried to setup the Marshguard (plus version) to the chain stays but seems to be just a tad too wide, causing chain rub and also the zip tie would rub against the chain in lower gears. Some custom solution seems to be needed here. For the seat stays, the Marshguard will work but I'm not fully convinced about how it'll look if I have mud guards in both stays...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post
    I went from 30-10/42 to 34-10/50 and got double the km out of a chain.
    Getting a little OT, but that is interesting. Any thoughts on why, bigger cogs don't stretch the chain as much?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Larger cogs have more contact points with the chain. Force from pedals is so more spread over the chain

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenZ View Post
    Hey [email protected]

I've just picked up a Fuel EX 9.8 and before I get going on planned upgrades I'm keen to know if you can run a 150mm fork on this bike? It has been suggested in a few forums, but I can't find a clear yes or no. Expecting that if I upgrade the damper and go 150, that I'd need to keep the frame in steep mode.

Cheers
    You can certainly up the travel to 150mm. We suggest that as the max and no more than that.

150mm (561mm axle-to-crown) for 29ers. 150mm (541mm axle-to-crown) for XS and S 27.5Ē sizes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    You can certainly up the travel to 150mm. We suggest that as the max and no more than that.

150mm (561mm axle-to-crown) for 29ers. 150mm (541mm axle-to-crown) for XS and S 27.5Ē sizes.
    Cheers, this is very useful bit of info when upgrading the fork!

It would be really nice if Trek had "Tech manual" or something similar available that would have this kind of details.

It would be really nice if Trek had "Tech manual" or something similar available that would have this kind of details.
    You're welcome! We do have these documents, but they are generally kept for dealers!

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    You're welcome! We do have these documents, but they are generally kept for dealers!
    Well I guess I'll just have to become a Trek dealer then

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Ran Fox 36 with 150mm and Dhx2 for one season and dpx2 metric this season. Excellent fork for a tad for agressive trail and or Enduro. I have 2020 Ex frame coming but plan to leave at 140mm. I have park bike built up now and want Ex for trail and all mtn riding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Thanks for your response! Currently on the fence, but like to have the option!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Anyone knows if the

RRP Progard Rear Mudgard version would fit on the FEX 2020?:
    RapidRacerProducts | ProGuard

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    I picked up a 2020 EX 8 last week in XXL frame size, which does look a fair bit more elongated than the smaller frame sizes - I guess this is to be expected, but I actually had to order one to see an XXL in person.

I ride a carbon road bike so I was initially interested in a carbon MTB frame, but was a little bit disappointed to find there doesn't appear to be any XXL frame options in carbon in the EX line-up. So EX8 was the highest spec I could get to in XXL. I am very pleased with the bike and the spec though. I'm sure it's more bike than I really need and it has forced me to save some money vs a carbon frame, which isn't the worst thing I suppose.

I haven't had a chance to ride it properly yet but can't wait to take it out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2020 Trek Fuel ex-img_0485.jpg  

2020 Trek Fuel ex-img_0486.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinGarvey View Post
    I picked up a 2020 EX 8 last week in XXL frame size, which does look a fair bit more elongated than the smaller frame sizes - I guess this is to be expected, but I actually had to order one to see an XXL in person.

I ride a carbon road bike so I was initially interested in a carbon MTB frame, but was a little bit disappointed to find there doesn't appear to be any XXL frame options in carbon in the EX line-up. So EX8 was the highest spec I could get to in XXL. I am very pleased with the bike and the spec though. I'm sure it's more bike than I really need and it has forced me to save some money vs a carbon frame, which isn't the worst thing I suppose.

I haven't had a chance to ride it properly yet but can't wait to take it out.
    I had the same ďproblemĒ, short before the introduction of the new EX it looked like an XXL carbon would come but unfortunately not in the end. But the new XL is only 5mm shorter in reach than the previous XXL. But now you have a nice big one than :-)
    I have tried out the Trek Fuel EX in XL but in the end decided to go to the Santa Cruz Tallboy in XXL (but tested only xl side to side with the TREK).
    But since you mention the Fuel EX is more bike than you need, why didnít you test the Trek Topfuel which is available in XXL for carbon also, or did you? It also still has 120mm fork and 110mm in the rear but you could for example easily make it 130mm on the front without really negatives.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by gerard29er View Post
    I had the same ďproblemĒ, short before the introduction of the new EX it looked like an XXL carbon would come but unfortunately not in the end. But the new XL is only 5mm shorter in reach than the previous XXL. But now you have a nice big one than :-)
    I have tried out the Trek Fuel EX in XL but in the end decided to go to the Santa Cruz Tallboy in XXL (but tested only xl side to side with the TREK).
    But since you mention the Fuel EX is more bike than you need, why didnít you test the Trek Topfuel which is available in XXL for carbon also, or did you? It also still has 120mm fork and 110mm in the rear but you could for example easily make it 130mm on the front without really negatives.
    I was looking for a good all round trail bike. I wanted something that would be suitable for anything I might want to do (i.e. anything other than huge drops and extreme downhill) and being a rider on the heavier side I suspected the extra travel would be beneficial. I did talk to my LBS about the Top Fuel and they concluded that the extra travel of the EX would probably be worthwhile for me.

I checked the measurements and the geometry and I worked out that I really needed the XXL according to Trek's own sizing guide and running it past the LBS. I have been in the situation in the past with road bikes where I settled for the largest bike a particular manufacturer offered but that wasn't quite big enough, then had to extend the cranks, stem, change seat-posts etc and have never really been entirely comfortable and ultimately regretted my purchase. I was keen to avoid making the same mistake again here. I appreciate there are bigger riders than me, but I have really struggled to get bikes that are big enough/comfortable enough for a day in the saddle. I wanted to try and buy a bike that would fit right away without having to start swapping components immediately. I'm 6'6/110KG/37" inseam it seems that this simply rules out some manufacturers and models. It's a bit of pain as it makes it difficult to compare brands/bikes when most shops don't keep the XXL sizes, but it could be worse.

Yes, I did briefly consider Santa Cruz and I think their bikes look awesome, but there is no dealer particularly local to me and no easy way to test out the larger sizes, so I thought Trek would be a good bet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019

2020 Trek Fuel ex

I was looking for a good all round trail bike. I wanted something that would be suitable for anything I might want to do (i.e. anything other than huge drops and extreme downhill) and being a rider on the heavier side I suspected the extra travel would be beneficial. I did talk to my LBS about the Top Fuel and they concluded that the extra travel of the EX would probably be worthwhile for me.

I checked the measurements and the geometry and I worked out that I really needed the XXL according to Trek's own sizing guide and running it past the LBS. I have been in the situation in the past with road bikes where I settled for a the largest bike a particular manufacturer offered but that wasn't quite big enough, then had to extend the cranks, stem, change seat-posts etc and have never really been entirely comfortable and ultimately regretted my purchase. I was keen to avoid making the same mistake again here. I appreciate there are bigger riders than me, but I have really struggled to get bikes that are big enough/comfortable enough for a day in the saddle. I wanted to try and buy a bike that would fit right away without having to start swapping components immediately. I'm 6'6/110KG/37" inseam it seems that this simply rules out some manufacturers and models. It's a bit of pain as it makes it difficult to compare brands/bikes when most shops don't keep the XXL sizes, but it could be worse.

Yes, I did briefly consider Santa Cruz and I think their bikes look awesome, but there is no dealer particularly local to me and no easy way to test out the larger sizes, so I thought Trek would be a good bet.
    Sounds we are in the same ballpark, I am 6í6/100KG/37Ē so only 10kg lighter.
    Also the same with roadbikes, I have a 61cm Specialized Tarmac and a 61cm Cannondale SuperX. The Cannondale I thinks is exactly right, the Tarmac maybe a bit short. Used to have a KLEIN Quantum race roadbike of 2001 which was great and I didnít even have the biggest size. But that time is over unfortunately.
    And indeed very few xxl sizes and certainly for testing. But it was great testing the xxl Trek Fuel EX than you realize what you are missing. Also last year had tested the previous Tallboy in xxl, same thing. Now unfortunately only the Megatower was in xxl ;-)
    But anyway a great choice to go to a real XXL bike, really makes a huge difference for us tall guys!
    By the way, with Santa Cruz it is the other way around, in aluminium they donít have the XXL, that is only available in carbon.
    I would say enjoy your XXL Trek Fuel EX!

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by gerard29er View Post
    Sounds we are in the same ballpark, I am 6í6/100KG/37Ē so only 10kg lighter.
    Also the same with roadbikes, I have a 61cm Specialized Tarmac and a 61cm Cannondale SuperX. The Cannondale I thinks is exactly right, the Tarmac maybe a bit short. Used to have a KLEIN Quantum race roadbike of 2001 which was great and I didnít even have the biggest size. But that time is over unfortunately.
    And indeed very few xxl sizes and certainly for testing. But it was great testing the xxl Trek Fuel EX than you realize what you are missing. Also last year had tested the previous Tallboy in xxl, same thing. Now unfortunately only the Megatower was in xxl ;-)
    But anyway a great choice to go to a real XXL bike, really makes a huge difference for us tall guys!
    By the way, with Santa Cruz it is the other way around, in aluminium they donít have the XXL, that is only available in carbon.
    I would say enjoy your XXL Trek Fuel EX!
    I suppose on the plus side it helps to narrow down your selection when there are less options available to begin with. So swings and roundabouts.

I didn't realise the XXL was only available in carbon in the Santa Cruz, that's interesting. Presumably this is to provide the strength they are aiming for in the larger sizes? TBH I'm grateful that these larger sizes are available from some of the premium manufacturers, as I have to assume they don't sell them in huge numbers.

I'm really looking forward to hopefully getting out on the weekend on the new EX 8, weather permitting. Enjoy your new Santa Cruz.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    I notice that on the suspension calculator the thru shaft shocks need 10 psi more than the normal re aktiv.
    e.g. at 91kg the ex8 recommendation is 205 psi vs 215 psi for the 9.8

Itíd like to know the technical explanation for this difference. Does anyone know?

mtbr member
    ^^^ there could be a number of reasons, but one is that there's no IFP pressure anymore in parallel with the air spring. Take the air can off a non-thru shaft shock and it takes quite a bit of force to compress the damper against the IFP pressure. That's not the case with a thru shaft shock.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Hi,
    I have been demoing the FEX 9.7. The bike is an awesome ride! It is fast on the donhill and pretty nimble on the tech. Really like this bike! as looking at the Full Stache also but having trouble locating one to demo. I could not get over how plush the FEX is. May be my next bike. Any of you tried both of these?
    2013 Cannondale F29 1 Alloy
    2013 Cervelo S5 Rival
    2012 Trek X01 crosser
    2017 Trek Farley 7
    2017Trek Domane SLR 6

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    ^^^ there could be a number of reasons, but one is that there's no IFP pressure anymore in parallel with the air spring. Take the air can off a non-thru shaft shock and it takes quite a bit of force to compress the damper against the IFP pressure. That's not the case with a thru shaft shock.
    Thanks, I really enjoyed demoing a ex8, and am looking to buy a 9.8, I am wondering what the difference in suspension feel would be. The 10 psi difference is a sign that it will be different. Hopefully no less supportive than the 8, which felt awesome descending in trail mode, not so much in open.

mtbr member
    ^^^ if the 10 psi only offsets the ifp pressure and all else is equal, it should feel exactly the same. Of course the idea behind the through shaft is it's supposed to reduce friction and inertia in the shock making it more supple and responsive to fast chatter. I'm skeptical there's much of a difference. In my brief test rides I haven't noticed any.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    ^^^ if the 10 psi only offsets the ifp pressure and all else is equal, it should feel exactly the same. Of course the idea behind the through shaft is it's supposed to reduce friction and inertia in the shock making it more supple and responsive to fast chatter. I'm skeptical there's much of a difference. In my brief test rides I haven't noticed any.
    While on rear shock.... I understand that for these bikes the Blue lever does not ďdirectlyĒ add compression like other floats, but rather increases the threshold required to open the reaktiv valve????

the trek website description of reactive does not actually say what the blue lever does so I am just concluding the above based on comments around the net. If my guess is correct it would explain why I liked the descending the fex so much better in trail mode. On my norco with dpx2 I would only use trail mode for flat or uphill tracks, because itís too harsh on rocky descents.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Sorry for changing the topic, but I'm about to pull the trigger on a 2020 Fuel 9.8 I am 6'1" and pretty much between a L and XL. I used to ride a 2009 fuel ex7 in XL because it was 2 years leftover and the price was too good to turn down. I loved that bike, but on longer rides, the leaning forward position would cause me to have prostate pressure. I added a Selle SMP Hybrid seat which was the creme da la creme for prostates at the time. I'd still get uncomfortable with leaning forward. Just today I rode a buddy's bike in L and the upright sitting felt better for pedaling distances on my gooch-region, but on singletrack, it felt cramped.

Is it easier to make an XL bike fit smaller, or make a L bike fit bigger? Nobody in PA has 2020's in L and XL for me to ride, and especially in my remote location there are no signs of shops getting them soon.

Can anybody help shed some light for me? If I get the wrong size, and need to sell/get a different size, my wife WILL KILL ME

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DGR01 View Post
    While on rear shock.... I understand that for these bikes the Blue lever does not ďdirectlyĒ add compression like other floats, but rather increases the threshold required to open the reaktiv valve????
    Not sure of the exact blue lever mechanism on the through-shaft Reaktive shock, but I've got 11 hours on mine, and color me very impressed. It is a BIG step forward from the original 2018 version I had.

Super plush, and the climb mode is just firm enough to be very useful on the trail. Not "race firm" like the Top Fuel. And, so far, ZERO clunking in trail or climb modes.

I would rank shocks as follows:

1. New through-shaft Reaktive,
    2. DPX2
    3. Old through-shaft Reaktive.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PatRidesBikes View Post
    Sorry for changing the topic, but I'm about to pull the trigger on a 2020 Fuel 9.8 I am 6'1" and pretty much between a L and XL. I used to ride a 2009 fuel ex7 in XL because it was 2 years leftover and the price was too good to turn down. I loved that bike, but on longer rides, the leaning forward position would cause me to have prostate pressure. I added a Selle SMP Hybrid seat which was the creme da la creme for prostates at the time. I'd still get uncomfortable with leaning forward. Just today I rode a buddy's bike in L and the upright sitting felt better for pedaling distances on my gooch-region, but on singletrack, it felt cramped.

Is it easier to make an XL bike fit smaller, or make a L bike fit bigger? Nobody in PA has 2020's in L and XL for me to ride, and especially in my remote location there are no signs of shops getting them soon.

Can anybody help shed some light for me? If I get the wrong size, and need to sell/get a different size, my wife WILL KILL ME
    I'm also 6'1" (32 inseam, long torso/arms) and I ride an '18 XL. I was previously on a L '16 Fuel which required a 70mm stem to get a proper fit. On the '18, I ride with the seat more forward and the fit feels perfect to me.

I realize the above does not answer directly your question. And not being in the market for a new bike, I have not compared the geo of the '20 vs the '18, but my general advice would be to get the XL.

Can you borrow your buddy's bike again and play around with seat position? Or maybe a shop near you has '19 XL and you can check the fit and extrapolate from that which size '20 would fit you better. Good luck.
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Just measured myself... 30" inseam, 75" reach. I guess I'm part gorilla. My local shop said to go XL. I'm still on the fence, but the wife gave the okay today to order a bike... I need to jump on this opportunity before she recants the offer.

mtbr member
    ... I understand that for these bikes the Blue lever does not ďdirectlyĒ add compression like other floats, but rather increases the threshold required to open the reaktiv valve????...
    In normal floats, the blue lever controls low speed damping by progressively closing a aperture with a stepped plug as you go from open to firm. In ReActiv shocks, there is a spring that holds down the reactive shim against the face of the piston and the blue lever adds preload to that spring starting at almost nothing in open mode and increasing preload as you go to medium and firm.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Just measured myself... 30" inseam, 75" reach. I guess I'm part gorilla. My local shop said to go XL. I'm still on the fence, but the wife gave the okay today to order a bike... I need to jump on this opportunity before she recants the offer.
    If your inseam is truly 30", you are going to have a hard time riding an XL with the 150mm dropper. I have a 30" inseam and the dropper on the M/L is really close to being too long...

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    In normal floats, the blue lever controls low speed damping by progressively closing a aperture with a stepped plug as you go from open to firm. In ReActiv shocks, there is a spring that holds down the reactive shim against the face of the piston and the blue lever adds preload to that spring starting at almost nothing in open mode and increasing preload as you go to medium and firm.
    Thanks- awesome! So having to descend (flowy descents) in trail mode is completely acceptable.... and even expected if u want to use reaktiv support. I guess I was just worried it meant the shock was crap.

XC Rider

2020 9.9 Review

I now have 6 days on challenging SW Colorado and Utah trails on the 9.9 and it has exceeded my expectations by a lot. This is my third fuel 2014, 2017, and now 2020. It climbs, it descends, it hammers. To be honest I had to fiddle with the rear suspension on the last two bikes with spacers or a custom tune but this new 2020 is money. I have never ridden in full open on a trek fuel in a variety of trail conditions including climbing with so much pleasure. I am actually riding at or below Trek's recommended pressure, in the past I have been 20-25 PSI over.

I throttled this bike in Moab for three days on some of the best and most demanding trails Moab has to offer against bikes with more travel and it didn't blink an eye. (Whole Enchilada, Mag 7, Bull Run, Gold Bar, Portal, Hymasa, Ahab, Rockstacker, Jackson) no problem. I have demoed most other brands out there and believe me the fuel holds water.

I am no suspension guru but moving away from the full floater seems to have been a good move. I am on the fence with the 2.6 XR4's but man going down they are a lot of fun, 2.4's will wake this bike up even more. Running 6 spacers up front for more progression on the Fox 36, may pull one out now that I am back from Moab. I expected this bike to pedal sluggishly, it doesn't. Very happy with this rig!
    2020 Trek Fuel ex-img_7975.jpg
    If You Don't Ride You'll Rust!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    ^^^ I concur. I'm only at ~12 hours, but this bike rides like a great-pedaling mini-Slash!

Kudos to the beefier, super-plush frame, Fox 36 fork and (hugely improved) Reaktiv thru-shaft rear shock.

A comedy of unforeseen circumstances found me in Moab a week ago with my Top Fuel. It did fine on the ups and level xc-ish stuff, but I sure missed the Fuel EX on the downs and real chunk!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dozerdog View Post
    I now have 6 days on challenging SW Colorado and Utah trails on the 9.9 and it has exceeded my expectations by a lot. This is my third fuel 2014, 2017, and now 2020. It climbs, it descends, it hammers. To be honest I had to fiddle with the rear suspension on the last two bikes with spacers or a custom tune but this new 2020 is money. I have never ridden in full open on a trek fuel in a variety of trail conditions including climbing with so much pleasure. I am actually riding at or below Trek's recommended pressure, in the past I have been 20-25 PSI over.

I throttled this bike in Moab for three days on some of the best and most demanding trails Moab has to offer against bikes with more travel and it didn't blink an eye. (Whole Enchilada, Mag 7, Bull Run, Gold Bar, Portal, Hymasa, Ahab, Rockstacker, Jackson) no problem. I have demoed most other brands out there and believe me the fuel holds water.

I am no suspension guru but moving away from the full floater seems to have been a good move. I am on the fence with the 2.6 XR4's but man going down they are a lot of fun, 2.4's will wake this bike up even more. Running 6 spacers up front for more progression on the Fox 36, may pull one out now that I am back from Moab. I expected this bike to pedal sluggishly, it doesn't. Very happy with this rig!

Name:	IMG_7975.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	353.7 KB 
ID:	1289955
    Excellent, my large ftame arrrives Friday! 😁

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Hi folks,

I'm considering a custom build but I'm a bit put off by the colour of the Fuel EX Alloy frameset. According to Trek, Axinite is a colour that changes with light...

Axinite is supposed to be reddish-brown to violet-brown but it's hard to form an opinion with the images on the Trek website.

So, has anyone seen it in the flesh? Even better, do you have pictures of it?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Name:	IMG_7975.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	353.7 KB 
ID:	1289955
    Howís the new geometry compare to the old FEXís?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Picked up frame a the other day, a beauty for sure but minor rabt. The bar code decals on front triangle and rear chain stay are clear coated over. When I went to pull off at chain stay I discovered this, the edge of decal was sticking out and so when I tried to pull off I noticed clear coat flaking off! I stopped and looked at others and all clear coated over. For a 3200.00 frame this is a disappointed. Why oh why would they do this?!?! At least get decals centered on stay so not hanging over the edge. Jeez!

mtbr member
    ^^^ Yeah. It's a small thing but it reflects poorly on the attention to detail and pride in workmanship, even though it's basically inconsequential. It makes you wonder about what you can't see.
    Do the math.

TOP TIER LURKER
    I suspect that Trek will address the rubbing chain issue on the 2020 frame by making a tweak on the chain stay for 2021. Many riders roll on a 28 tooth and even more on a 30 tooth. Mountain biking is done on rough terrain that already has the chain bouncing around as it is so chain stays should be designed with considerable clearance in mind for 28-34 tooth chain rings.
    life is... "All About Bikes"...

mtbr member
    ^^^ Yeah. It's a small thing but it reflects poorly on the attention to detail and pride in workmanship, even though it's basically inconsequential. It makes you wonder about what you can't see.
    Yah im sure the guy that lays the carbon is the same that puts the bar codes on....

Ever seen an assembly line?

Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    So I am still on the fence between the 8 and the 9.7. Looking at it I would like to put a 32t or 34t absolute black oval on it but it looks real tight. Anyone try an oval on it?
    2013 Cervelo S5 Rival
    2012 Trek X01 crosser
    2017 Trek Farley 7
    2017Trek Domane SLR 6

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I have a 30t oval AB mounted to a dub/boost crankset on my Stache....I guess I need to just put the cranks on my EX9.9 and see how it fits/works. I would guess that an oval 32 would work fine. I think the 34 oval would be questionable.

-r

mtbr member
    I have a 30t oval AB mounted to a dub/boost crankset on my Stache....I guess I need to just put the cranks on my EX9.9 and see how it fits/works. I would guess that an oval 32 would work fine. I think the 34 oval would be questionable.

-r
    Yeah it is tight in there for sure. We were checking it out at the shop and I think you are right. I run a 32 on my Farley 7. Really like the way it climbs with the oval. The FEX already climbs great but I want to try the oval for the heck of it.

Before you bought the 9.9 did you by chance ride an 8 for comparison? I am looking at both the 9.7 and an 8. I would love to do a comparison but can't find an 8 around Maryland to try.
    2013 Cervelo S5 Rival
    2012 Trek X01 crosser
    2017 Trek Farley 7
    2017Trek Domane SLR 6

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post
    Yah im sure the guy that lays the carbon is the same that puts the bar codes on....

Ever seen an assembly line...
    Yes. I worked in manufacturing my entire career and in those companies we tried to ensure what the customer could see was every bit as perfect as what they couldn't, right down to the address label and sealing tape on the shipping carton. Nothing was unimportant enough to be done sloppily or haphazardly.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawgzilla View Post
    I suspect that Trek will address the rubbing chain issue on the 2020 frame by making a tweak on the chain stay for 2021. Many riders roll on a 28 tooth and even more on a 30 tooth. Mountain biking is done on rough terrain that already has the chain bouncing around as it is so chain stays should be designed with considerable clearance in mind for 28-34 tooth chain rings.
    Oddly, I was thinking about this thread last Sunday as I was climbing Fifty Shades at Squamish. I know not everyone wants/needs a 28 tooth ring, but I was really glad to have it. Interestingly, three of the four of us were running 28 tooth rings (and the other had a 30 I believe, though I'm not sure). To be fair, one of us only had a 42 tooth big ring, but two of us have 50s on the back. Sometimes, it's just nice to have it, especially with me knees!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fishboy316 View Post
    Yeah it is tight in there for sure. We were checking it out at the shop and I think you are right. I run a 32 on my Farley 7. Really like the way it climbs with the oval. The FEX already climbs great but I want to try the oval for the heck of it.

Before you bought the 9.9 did you by chance ride an 8 for comparison? I am looking at both the 9.7 and an 8. I would love to do a comparison but can't find an 8 around Maryland to try.
    Unfortunately I just go from one year's EX9.9 to the next so I have no comparison for them other than same bike from year to year. I can truly say this bike just keeps getting better. My current EX9.9 is absolutely the best yet. I am guessing I'll say the same thing again next year?!?!?

-r

sometime mtbr
    May 2010
    I have the EX8 and yes there is not much room but I have no signs of rubbing at all.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    the ex8 is aluminum and in fact some of those models come with 30t----indicating that the chainstays are not the same-----the carbon frames are where we some level of input from actual folks who tried it on this thread and reported that the 30t does not work w/o rubbing

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    the ex8 is aluminum and in fact some of those models come with 30t----indicating that the chainstays are not the same-----the carbon frames are where we some level of input from actual folks who tried it on this thread and reported that the 30t does not work w/o rubbing
    9.9 owner riding it with a 30t chiming in here.

Ever so slight rub in the stand in 11 and 12.

None when sagged at 30%.

Insignificant signs of wear on the CS protector after 15 hours. Admittedly not that long.

This design really makes for a quiet bike in terms of chain slap. I guess it can't get into those sine-wave whipping motions we've all seen videos of on the interweb.

So relieved. I was worried to death about this (though I do feel for those that would prefer to run a 28t).

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Anybody have any info on when the size L will be back in stock for the carbon models? I check the website daily, and it's ruining my productivity.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    This design really makes for a quiet bike in terms of chain slap.
    Despite what I have read elsewhere I agree with the above. On my 9.8 with stock 32 cr I notice no chain noise. I can see that the chain touches sometimes during riding due to the line with no dust, however under power I think it tensions and does not touch.

In terms of noise though I do get a different sound on the rougher stuff. Hard to explain, Sort of a lower pitch walloping noise. suspect itís either the plastic rock guard or the trap door, but they ďseemĒ secure.....

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Anybody have any info on when the size L will be back in stock for the carbon models? I check the website daily, and it's ruining my productivity.
    9.8 Red and Black shows shipping 11/25 (that is if you have one on backorder already)
    9.7 Black is Christmas
    9.9 Black and Red is February
    All the blue/aqua ones have April dates.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    If you already have one on order, it may have a different ETA than a bike ordered today. Keep that in mind. Only your dealer would know the ETA of your actual order.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by 202cycle View Post
    9.8 Red and Black shows shipping 11/25 (that is if you have one on backorder already)
    9.7 Black is Christmas
    Last week I switched my 9.8 order from a M/L(back ordered) to a L and they had a few stock at the California warehouse. My dealer received the bike in 1 day and had it assembled the next. Mine was the Miami green. He also had a few red 9.8s L in stock. Bakersfield Action Sports.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 202cycle View Post
    9.7 Black is Christmas
    I received my large black and red frame two weeks before quoted delivery time! Took less then three weeks from order date. Picked up last week.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yarbrough462 View Post
    If your inseam is truly 30", you are going to have a hard time riding an XL with the 150mm dropper. I have a 30" inseam and the dropper on the M/L is really close to being too long...
    Correct. I have 29"-30" inseam , 72" reach , 5'11. On a 2019 EX8 18.5" 125mm dropper. I couldn't ride the 19.5 with the 150 mm dropper , might have been able to with a 125 mm dropper.
    2019 Trek Fuel EX 8

XC Rider
    I have an Absolute Black 32t Oval on mine it is great!
    If You Don't Ride You'll Rust!

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Alu or Carbon frame?

mtbr member
    Awesome! Is it carbon? I like the oval cr on my fatty. Truly helps with a climb.
    2013 Cervelo S5 Rival
    2012 Trek X01 crosser
    2017 Trek Farley 7
    2017Trek Domane SLR 6

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Hey trekkers, quick question from trek first timer re the abp:
    on my 2week old 2020 ex the rear axle keeps working loose. Not sure if normal?

Also, When tightened firmly there is still some play in the axel (i.e. u can turn the axle lever back and fourth a bit). Again, is this normal apb axel behaviour?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Also, When tightened firmly there is still some play in the axel (i.e. u can turn the axle lever back and fourth a bit). Again, is this normal apb axel behaviour?
    Should nt loosen if tightened correctly. Yes there is slight play back and forth. My 17 dit too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by fishboy316 View Post
    Awesome! Is it carbon? I like the oval cr on my fatty. Truly helps with a climb.
    I had the Absolute 32t on my carbon frame briefly. Don't like the chain riding the chainstay protection when ring is at its lowest point. I went with a 34t round. Actually less fatigue overal on a bigger ring with 11-50 cassette.

ENDO!!!
    Just picked up a EX8 yesterday, headed out to ride shortly. First new MTB in almost a decade!
    Just circles turning circles....

mtbr member
    Apr 2015

Check the ABP nut on both sides. Since it's a new bike it's possible that could be loose, which would cause some play. I had it loosen up on my new bike last year but after tightening it up I never had another problem with it.

mtbr member

Take it back to the shop you bought it from. Let them look it over.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Interesting to hear impressions of the new Fuels. Thanks for posting.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by The Yetti View Post
    Just picked up a EX8 yesterday, headed out to ride shortly. First new MTB in almost a decade!
    I've had mine for a few weeks and have been loving it, despite the weather. Enjoy!

ENDO!!!
    I've had mine for a few weeks and have been loving it, despite the weather. Enjoy!
    Despite the cold it was an incredible ride! My last bike was over 10 years old, and the confidence I quickly gained in this bike was amazing.
    Just circles turning circles....

mtbr member

No play in my '18. Like someone else said, have a your local Trek shop take a look at it.
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Iím 6í1Ē with a 32Ē inseam. You guys think I would be good on a 21.5? Iím riding a 21.5 stache now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by travisjgood View Post
    Iím 6í1Ē with a 32Ē inseam. You guys think I would be good on a 21.5? Iím riding a 21.5 stache now.
    I'm 6'4" with a 32" inseam and the XL seems ok to me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Britishnate View Post
    Take it back to the shop you bought it from. Let them look it over.

Unfortunately the trek shop is 3hr drive away, Iíll go if needed but think itís ok...

I looked a bit deeper, turns out the play was just the 6mm Allen tool moving in the head - lol - I did not know it was a removable tool, thought it was part of the axel.

Also checked the abp pivot bolts and they felt tight/fine.

While I had the tool off I torqued axel to 10nm...hopefully wonít undo itself again.

Thanks for responses

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'm 188 cm and 89 cm inseam an XL is perfect

Gesendet von meinem SM-N960F mit Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Iím 6í1.5 on an xl with 185mm dropper no probs, there is still space to drop it a further 50mm. Sorry, donít know my inner seam.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    As Christmas is coming closer any recommendations for good upgrades for a 9.8? Currently there is nothing that I really dislike but interested to here if you have exchanged already something that is worth it?

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    As Christmas is coming closer any recommendations for good upgrades for a 9.8? Currently there is nothing that I really dislike but interested to here if you have exchanged already something that is worth it?

Add 3 pawls and spring to hub. Cheap and doubles hub engagement points. I think itís the Best value upgrade u can do..... on the othher hand trek is really tight for not making it stock on the 9.8

mtbr member
    EDIT: wrong thread. Thought this was Top Fuel.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

The 9.8 with a few upgrades is unbeatable. My picks, in order:

1. Better and lighter crank.

2. Upgrade wheels at time of purchase from Kovee Elite to Kovee Pro. This also gives you the 6-pawl freehub mentioned above.

3. X01 cassette. I like the one-piece approach.

That's it, IMO!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The 9.8 with a few upgrades is unbeatable. My picks, in order:

1. Better and lighter crank.

2. Upgrade wheels at time of purchase from Kovee Elite to Kovee Pro. This also gives you the 6-pawl freehub mentioned above.

3. X01 cassette. I like the one-piece approach.

That's it, IMO!
    Thx! Any crank you can recommend?
    The wheels upgrade is to late for me - have the bike already 2 months. So now it would be expensive to switch

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Does anyone know the reason and detail of the custom spacer in the fox 36? Are there any considerations for tuneing/ maintenane/ upgrading?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123