2020 Top Fuel Official Post- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 100 of 152
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    6,776

    2020 Top Fuel Official Post

    New Top Fuel pics have finally dropped in the 2020 MY thread, so let's start one dedicated to the Top Fuel only.

    Looks like a bike that will suit me. Any links to detailed info yet?
    Whining is not a strategy.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    9
    Fotos

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    6,776
    Name:  Top Fuel.jpg
Views: 4903
Size:  70.0 KB

    A pic from the 2020 MY thread.

    Thanks to alias33!
    Whining is not a strategy.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    9

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    26
    Looks great! Really curious about how much this will weight. Also if you look closely at the headset it appears to have knock block.

    Funny enough this is the exact setup of my current Top Fuel: 34SC, Dropper, XX1 AXS

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by soban View Post
    Looks great! Really curious about how much this will weight. Also if you look closely at the headset it appears to have knock block.

    Funny enough this is the exact setup of my current Top Fuel: 34SC, Dropper, XX1 AXS
    What does your's weigh in that configuration?

    -r

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by oclvframe View Post
    What does your's weigh in that configuration?

    -r
    24.3 lb with dropper and 23.7 without

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    579
    If this new Fuel drops in at under 27lbs with clearance for 2.6" tires I may be moving back to Trek.

    Currently on my first non-Trek in 10 years (Santa Cruz Blur TR) and I swore I'd never look back but now...

  9. #9
    Ruckus99ss
    Reputation: Ruckus99ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    276
    Quote Originally Posted by soban View Post
    24.3 lb with dropper and 23.7 without
    Thatís heavy! My 9.8sl with 34sc

    2020 Top Fuel Official Post-a4dfa2f5-3981-44a7-8dcc-1925321d487c.jpg
    2016 Trek Project One Madone 9 with all SRAM Red 22 drivetrain and Bontrager Aeolus 3 wheels
    2016 Trek Top Fuel 9.8 SL -Absolute Black oval chainring
    2016 Vassago Verhauen IPA copper-Stans Arch, I9 hubs, X-fusion trace, Raceface next post, Renthal carbon bars, Bontrager seat/stem, Absolute Black oval chainring, Raceface cranks
    2015 Trek Stache 8 -back to stock

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    268
    Is it still 100mm in the back, or 120mm? If its 120mm, thats pretty close to the FEX. Makes me wonder if the FEX is going to jump to 140mm this model year.
    Patrick

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brent701's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,367
    The lack of 2 water bottles is getting old. Makes me want to stick to a HT. If I wanted a FS with 1 bottle. I'd get a Scott.
    Seems they added Knock-block. Fox 34 SC. Rear lower shock mount is like the Slash, remedy, I hear the Fuel is getting the same mount. upside down shock mount was something Scott does. Wonder if the shock will be some odd Trek only size.
    Too Many .

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    855
    According to the trek thread it is 115 mm rear

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    46
    Frame weight is nearly 2500g

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: zgxtreme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    662
    Quote Originally Posted by JTab23 View Post
    Frame weight is nearly 2500g
    Whatís the Ď19 one?

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by zgxtreme View Post
    Whatís the Ď19 one?
    Not sure exactly, sorry. I'd suspect right above 2500g with the shock.

    It's not the lightest, but I hope the ride feel makes up for that!

    My 9.7 will arrive in two weeks so we'll see then if i'll end up getting a 9.9 AXS!

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    67
    still not on the Trek website

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    6,776
    Thought I might go stupid and get an AXS, but dealer website is showing mid-October availability.

    Excellent. This made me come to my senses, and order just the "regular" 9.9.

    Still, delivery estimate is early July. Damn!

    24.36 pounds for a medium with tubes, per Trek.
    Whining is not a strategy.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    834
    Quote Originally Posted by JTab23 View Post
    Not sure exactly, sorry. I'd suspect right above 2500g with the shock.

    It's not the lightest, but I hope the ride feel makes up for that!

    My 9.7 will arrive in two weeks so we'll see then if i'll end up getting a 9.9 AXS!
    What is the spec for the 9.7?
    And other models if you know?

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by VERT1 View Post
    What is the spec for the 9.7?
    And other models if you know?

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

    Frame- OCLV Mountain Carbon main frame & stays, tapered head tube, Knock Block, Control Freak internal routing, Carbon Armor, magnesium rocker link, Mino Link, ABP, Boost148, 115mm travel
    Front suspension- RockShox Reba RL, Solo Air spring, Motion Control damper, TwistLoc remote, tapered steerer, 46mm offset, Boost110, 15mm Maxle Stealth, 120mm travel
    Rear suspension- Fox Performance Float, 2-postion DPS damper, TwistLoc remote, tuned by Trek Suspension Lab, 190x45mm
    Wheels
    Wheels- Bontrager Kovee Comp 23, Tubeless Ready, 6-bolt, Boost110 front, Boost148 rear
    Tires- Bontrager XR3 Team Issue, Tubeless Ready, Inner Strength sidewall, aramid bead, 120tpi, 29x2.40"
    Drivetrain:
    Shifter -SRAM NX Eagle, 12 speed
    Rear derailleur- SRAM NX Eagle
    Crank- SRAM NX Eagle, DUB, 32T steel ring, Boost
    Bottom bracket- SRAM DUB, 92mm, PressFit
    Cassette- SRAM PG-1230 Eagle, 11-50, 12 speed
    Chain- SRAM NX Eagle, 12 speed
    Components:
    Saddle- Bontrager Montrose Comp, steel rails
    Seatpost- Bontrager Line Dropper, 150mm travel, internal routing, 31.6mm
    Handlebar- Bontrager Comp, alloy, 31.8mm, 15mm rise
    Stem- Bontrager Rhythm Comp, Knock Block, 31.8mm, 0 degree
    Headset- Knock Block Integrated, cartridge bearing, 1-1/8" top, 1.5" bottom
    Brakeset- Shimano hydraulic disc, MT501 lever, MT500 caliper

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    Thought I might go stupid and get an AXS, but dealer website is showing mid-October availability.

    Excellent. This made me come to my senses, and order just the "regular" 9.9.

    Still, delivery estimate is early July. Damn!

    24.36 pounds for a medium with tubes, per Trek.
    Honestly i'm not really a fan of the pike on the 2020 9.9 axs... I guess i'd have to change it out for a sid!

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    834
    Quote Originally Posted by JTab23 View Post
    Frame-OCLV Mountain Carbon main frame & stays, tapered head tube, Knock Block, Control Freak internal routing, Carbon Armor, magnesium rocker link, Mino Link, ABP, Boost148, 115mm travel
    Front suspension-RockShox Reba RL, Solo Air spring, Motion Control damper, TwistLoc remote, tapered steerer, 46mm offset, Boost110, 15mm Maxle Stealth, 120mm travel
    Rear suspension- Fox Performance Float, 2-postion DPS damper, TwistLoc remote, tuned by Trek Suspension Lab, 190x45mm
    Wheels
    Wheels-Bontrager Kovee Comp 23, Tubeless Ready, 6-bolt, Boost110 front, Boost148 rear
    Tires-Bontrager XR3 Team Issue, Tubeless Ready, Inner Strength sidewall, aramid bead, 120tpi, 29x2.40"
    Drivetrain:
    Shifter -SRAM NX Eagle, 12 speed
    Rear derailleur-SRAM NX Eagle
    Crank-SRAM NX Eagle, DUB, 32T steel ring, Boost
    Bottom bracket-SRAM DUB, 92mm, PressFit
    Cassette-SRAM PG-1230 Eagle, 11-50, 12 speed
    Chain-SRAM NX Eagle, 12 speed
    Components:
    Saddle-Bontrager Montrose Comp, steel rails
    Seatpost-Bontrager Line Dropper, 150mm travel, internal routing, 31.6mm
    Handlebar-Bontrager Comp, alloy, 31.8mm, 15mm rise
    Stem-Bontrager Rhythm Comp, Knock Block, 31.8mm, 0 degree
    Headset-Knock Block Integrated, cartridge bearing, 1-1/8" top, 1.5" bottom
    Brakeset-Shimano hydraulic disc, MT501 lever, MT500 caliper
    Thanks, 150mm dropper nice! What frame size? And do you know if it's a twist to lock or twist to unlock lockout?

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    6,776
    Quote Originally Posted by JTab23 View Post
    Honestly i'm not really a fan of the pike on the 2020 9.9 axs... I guess i'd have to change it out for a sid!
    Yikes! Missed that. Pike is another deal-killer for me, in addition to near-Halloween delivery.
    Whining is not a strategy.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by VERT1 View Post
    Thanks, 150mm dropper nice! What frame size? And do you know if it's a twist to lock or twist to unlock lockout?

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Seems to be a 150mm dropper for all sizes (S, M, ML, L, XL) Not sure which it is, but i'll let you know which it is when i get mine (unless someone can answer your question before I can)

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 04 F2000SL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    564
    So they arent offering a 100mm xc bike?

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by 04 F2000SL View Post
    So they arent offering a 100mm xc bike?
    That's a negative...

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by JTab23 View Post
    That's a negative...
    I think he meant a 100/100 FS XC

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    405
    -DC, just some XC Bum in Sfla...

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    6,776
    Quote Originally Posted by 04 F2000SL View Post
    So they arent offering a 100mm xc bike?
    I strongly suspect that there is a shorter travel "pure" xc race bike coming.

    But I don't really care. This bike ticks so many boxes for me. Dislikes? Well, I'd probably prefer non-remote controlled suspension, and like everybody in the universe, capacity for TWO water bottles would have been sweet.

    But every bike compromises somewhere. No real complaints.
    Whining is not a strategy.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    834
    Love the colour of the alloy 8

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    567
    Quote Originally Posted by VERT1 View Post
    Love the colour of the alloy 8

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    So what's the geo on this?

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by jpec29 View Post
    So what's the geo on this?

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I downloaded a side view and used an online protractor so the following is not exact.

    HA 67.8 degrees or maybe 68 degrees
    Effective Seat Angle BB to where saddle meets the top of seatpost 76 degrees

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    268
    Wish they were making an alloy model with 34SC and GX eagle. This bike looks perfect for my local trails. Although I do appreciate the extra squish my FEX offers me when I take a dumb line.
    Patrick

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    171
    2020 Top Fuel Official Post-39397f15-214f-4bd2-b8a8-551aef909165.jpg

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    473
    Quote Originally Posted by alias33 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	39397F15-214F-4BD2-B8A8-551AEF909165.jpg 
Views:	622 
Size:	237.7 KB 
ID:	1251491
    That's very progressive for the likes Trek! I'm liking the geo numbers for the Top Fuel. It's now in downcountry/marathon bike territory! Put on a shorter stem and 20-25mm rise bars and you'll have an all-round trail slayer! Not a big fan of lockouts since I keep my suspension in open all the time, but that stuff can always be removed. SC's Tallboy 4 should be announced soon too. There has never been a better time for short travel trail bikes!
    I no longer like to party. But I like the idea of it.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    405
    Bringing back a true XXL should make the tall guys happy. I'm 6'1" on the current Top fuel in XL and I'd hate to see how much post someone who was 6'4" or taller would have exposed. I know of at least one local rider who's 6'8" on a XXL Superfly FS, time for an upgrade!
    -DC, just some XC Bum in Sfla...

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    855
    Still not seeing these anywhere... just get them on the website already!

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkpowa View Post
    Bringing back a true XXL should make the tall guys happy. I'm 6'1" on the current Top fuel in XL and I'd hate to see how much post someone who was 6'4" or taller would have exposed. I know of at least one local rider who's 6'8" on a XXL Superfly FS, time for an upgrade!
    Hope that is a typo on the XXL seattube length: I'll assume it should be 55 and not 75...

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    26
    Beyond Bikes confirmed that below are the weights for the new Top Fuel:

    9.9 = 24.36 lb
    9.8 = 26.11 lb
    9.7 = 27.85 lb
    8 = 30.45 lb

    Gotta say that is pretty heavy considering the current 9.9 is listed at 22 lb. Sure it is a more capable bike but the might need to market it as Trail/XC instead of XC race. Looking forward to seeing this new supercaliber now.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brent701's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,367
    My son and I will be demo'ing one in Oct. for a 6 hours race. really want to see how the geo changes will feel
    Too Many .

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkpowa View Post
    Bringing back a true XXL should make the tall guys happy. I'm 6'1" on the current Top fuel in XL and I'd hate to see how much post someone who was 6'4" or taller would have exposed. I know of at least one local rider who's 6'8" on a XXL Superfly FS, time for an upgrade!
    Looks like the extended the reach quite a bit though, a Large in the 2020 looks like it will fit more like an XL in the current generation Top Fuel (reach 457mm in a 19.5" 2019 / 475mm in size Large for 2020)

    Overall I agree though, it looks very good on paper. Any way to fit an angleset in the current gen top fuel? That way with an SC 34 fork, I can convince myself there is no reason to upgrade... Im also sure with a metric shock in the back you can squeeze out another 10mm of rear travel in the current gen.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by soban View Post
    Beyond Bikes confirmed that below are the weights for the new Top Fuel:

    9.9 = 24.36 lb
    9.8 = 26.11 lb
    9.7 = 27.85 lb
    8 = 30.45 lb

    Gotta say that is pretty heavy considering the current 9.9 is listed at 22 lb. Sure it is a more capable bike but the might need to market it as Trail/XC instead of XC race. Looking forward to seeing this new supercaliber now.
    These numbers are pretty consistent with most other downcountry bikes: Scott Spark (not RC), Kona Hei Hei, etc.

    For people wanting pure bred racers, it might be time to look elsewhere.

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: zgxtreme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    662
    Quote Originally Posted by hesitationpoint View Post
    For people wanting pure bred racers, it might be time to look elsewhere.
    Agreed, really need to see the the SuperCal specs confirmed.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    579
    Like it, the weights and builds mean that now we will have two Trail bikes to choose from with Trek, the XC/Trail or the All Mountain/Trail one.

    No doubt though they aren't going to let those shopping for a pure breed xc FS shop elsewhere so I am going to place money on the bet that the SC fills that niche.

    A FS with somehow an adjustable 25/100 of rear travel would be nice.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    790
    Quote Originally Posted by soban View Post
    Beyond Bikes confirmed that below are the weights for the new Top Fuel:

    9.9 = 24.36 lb
    9.8 = 26.11 lb
    9.7 = 27.85 lb
    8 = 30.45 lb

    Gotta say that is pretty heavy considering the current 9.9 is listed at 22 lb. Sure it is a more capable bike but the might need to market it as Trail/XC instead of XC race. Looking forward to seeing this new supercaliber now.
    These also all include dropper posts now.

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    7
    So, FULL FLOATER is gone! There are going to be a lot less poo related jokes at the trail head in future

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    62
    The purple one above is an alloy model. But NX eagle if that matters.
    Quote Originally Posted by pjames12 View Post
    Wish they were making an alloy model with 34SC and GX eagle. This bike looks perfect for my local trails. Although I do appreciate the extra squish my FEX offers me when I take a dumb line.

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    268
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBRT View Post
    The purple one above is an alloy model. But NX eagle if that matters.
    Right, but its got a Reba too instead of a 34SC.
    Patrick

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    62
    Love the comments, ďitís not XC race any moreĒ or ď Down country bikeĒ . What the **** is down country anyways? Itís a short travel mountain bike! Stop giving bikes dumbass labels.

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    579
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBRT View Post
    Love the comments, ďitís not XC race any moreĒ or ď Down country bikeĒ . What the **** is down country anyways? Itís a short travel mountain bike! Stop giving bikes dumbass labels.
    Trail Country

    Don't tell me what to do!

    EDIT - Ohhhh or Cross Trail <3

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    201
    I'll be interested to see if Cooper, Neff and Batty race the 120mm TF.

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by hesitationpoint View Post
    I'll be interested to see if Cooper, Neff and Batty race the 120mm TF.
    They will use the new xc bike, the TF is heavy unless they make a Top Fuel 100/100

  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    46
    Seems like this new Top Fuel is pretty similar to the 2016 Fuel Ex.

    The new bike is about 10mm longer and 1 degree slacker than the 2016 FEx, but it seems pretty close to me no?

    The reason I say this, I own a 2016 Fuel Ex and this geometry chart kind of makes me want to just sit tight with my bike.

    On a side note, it's pretty sweet that they went back to 29" wheels on the small bikes.

  53. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    27

    2020 Top Fuel Official Post

    Quote Originally Posted by hesitationpoint View Post
    I'll be interested to see if Cooper, Neff and Batty race the 120mm TF.
    Neff already used the new frame for the Heubach XC race... She won the race!

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    405
    Quote Originally Posted by Matte X.0 View Post
    Neff already used the new frame for the Heubach XC race... She won the race!
    All the pics I saw she was on the old Top Fuel. Which was was the shock oriented?
    -DC, just some XC Bum in Sfla...

  55. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    218
    I like back-country. What about Cross-Hill? Countryduro? All-mountain country?

  56. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation: craign's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    195
    Quote Originally Posted by thisisbenji View Post
    On a side note, it's pretty sweet that they went back to 29" wheels on the small bikes.
    This! My wife is on a team that rides Trek now and I really didn't like having to get her a 27.5" XC bike. As well as my belief that 29" is better for XC, it means it's harder to share wheels/tires/parts with my XC bike.

  57. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation: solarplex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,537
    XC bike like the spark


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

  58. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    714
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    Yikes! Missed that. Pike is another deal-killer for me, in addition to near-Halloween delivery.
    Pike with Pushís new HC97 damper control would rock, especially with 120mm


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  59. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation: brent701's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,367
    Quote Originally Posted by hesitationpoint View Post
    I'll be interested to see if Cooper, Neff and Batty race the 120mm TF.
    There was a spy shot of Batty on the Supercaliber.
    my LBS had some info that it may be a 100/25 or 80/25 travel bike. shock mounted like the Superfly FS/Rumblefish.
    Only time will tell.
    Too Many .

  60. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    6,776
    Somebody on another thread said their LBS had one in stock already?

    Anybody actually seen one in the flesh?

    Mine shows early-ish July delivery, dang it!
    Whining is not a strategy.

  61. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    584
    Yes, I saw one this weekend (an 8). Nice looking bike. Paint fade job looks slick.

  62. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation: solarplex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,537
    Posts been removed from Instagram haha


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

  63. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    209
    https://youtu.be/73O6fHZKY34 I know this isnít a trek itís just neat hearing about a suspension design and had me a little worried about the new treks. Would be nice to hear some quality feedback on how theyíre riding. Surely reviews will be out soon enough. Just hope these guys get their hands on it sooner than later

  64. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    268
    Quote Originally Posted by doctacosmos View Post
    https://youtu.be/73O6fHZKY34 I know this isnít a trek itís just neat hearing about a suspension design and had me a little worried about the new treks. Would be nice to hear some quality feedback on how theyíre riding. Surely reviews will be out soon enough. Just hope these guys get their hands on it sooner than later
    This Top Fuel still has ABP, which has been on Treks for a long time now. Plenty of reviews out there on the ABP design. Its more or less the same thing as split-pivot (which is a Dave Weagle design that Devinci, Salsa, and some others use). Its a solid suspension platform.
    Patrick

  65. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    209
    Abp has nothing to do with the suspension characteristics. Itís just a pivotable chainstay to seat stay junction that allows the wheel to travel while under braking. Itís common in plenty of bikes but isnít really a suspension characteristic. Itís beautiful to have as my 50101 didnít and first time riding my single track on it my back wheel hit a large branch and almost bucked me over the bars instead of Justinís soaking it up like all my previous trees had done but it only aids the suspension in particular when youíre braking

  66. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    268
    Quote Originally Posted by doctacosmos View Post
    Abp has nothing to do with the suspension characteristics. Itís just a pivotable chainstay to seat stay junction that allows the wheel to travel while under braking. Itís common in plenty of bikes but isnít really a suspension characteristic. Itís beautiful to have as my 50101 didnít and first time riding my single track on it my back wheel hit a large branch and almost bucked me over the bars instead of Justinís soaking it up like all my previous trees had done but it only aids the suspension in particular when youíre braking
    I know what ABP is. My point is that the suspension will likely be similar to other Trek ABP bikes that have been in this category before. Unless you aren't a fan of previous Trek ABP bikes, I don't see any reason to be "worried" about how the bike will ride because its the same design thats been on all of their FS bikes for awhile.
    Patrick

  67. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    209
    Itís not the same design itís not full floater. Itís the most basic suspension design there is.

  68. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    834
    A way to look at it, though I dont know the answer but how does the 2018 Remedy pedal compared to the 2019?
    Reviews are always biased towards the latest and greatest model but in the real world does the Full floater pedal better than the non Full floater?

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

  69. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    209
    It just seems the full floater was a reason to go to trek. I remember a video when the slash first came out where they straight up said theyíd only bother doing it on the longer travel bikes because it allowed the more demanding bikes to be stiffer and the longer shocks were easier to work with to get the desired curve. So maybe the smaller shocks are capable of getting the curve they want now but now they donít have full floater and on the top fuel they donít have re:aktiv anymore so aside from the warranty, why go to trek and not giant where they have better part specs. Considering a transition now just because Iíll at least get a part spec I can live with even if I end up not liking the frame a ton

  70. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    834
    I guess the reason to go with Trek over other brands is the frame geometry and they are offering a full carbon frame now.

    Components can always be upgraded.

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

  71. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    869
    Quote Originally Posted by doctacosmos View Post
    Considering a transition now just because Iíll at least get a part spec I can live with even if I end up not liking the frame a ton
    Really? A frame, geo, and suspension performance is way more important than a certain level ďpart specĒ. Who gives a crap about parts level if you have a frame you donít like ďa tonĒ? Weird way to look at it.

  72. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    437
    Quote Originally Posted by doctacosmos View Post
    why go to trek and not giant where they have better part specs
    because they dont have better specs

  73. #73
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    171
    Iím trying to decide between the Scott spark Rc pro and the 9.8 with an upgrade to sram xx1 or axs.

    Scott benefits: less pivots at the dropout
    100mm and more racey?
    Xtr vs gx out of the box, but oem alloy junk wheels

    2020 top fuel benefits: brand new not dated like the Scott
    115 in the rear for 15 extra mm of rowdiness, I race with a 120r/140mm front setup currently so itíll feel similar with 120 up front on the fuel
    Gx eagle on a $5500 bike with junk slx brakes is discouraging

    Thoughts? Or should I just get the 9.9?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2020 Top Fuel Official Post-58265980-b63e-4bd6-80aa-42487427d59e.jpg  


  74. #74
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    209
    Quote Originally Posted by Haymarket View Post
    Really? A frame, geo, and suspension performance is way more important than a certain level ďpart specĒ. Who gives a crap about parts level if you have a frame you donít like ďa tonĒ? Weird way to look at it.
    I donít know what you mean. If I buy a complete with a good part spec I can always just buy a different frame instead of a complete bike. If I buy a complete with nice frame and crap parts then I paid for parts I didnít plan on keeping and upgrading in the first place

  75. #75
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    5

    Cool-blue Rhythm Greetings one and all. I just tripped over this website...

    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    New Top Fuel pics have finally dropped in the 2020 MY thread, so let's start one dedicated to the Top Fuel only.

    Looks like a bike that will suit me. Any links to detailed info yet?
    In the last few days I've decided I need a Trek 9.8, and then felt a bit annoyed that most places didn't have the 2019's in stock. So, on finding this forum I then found this site, so I thought I'd register and share:

    https://www.blazingbikes.co.uk/index...tain-bike.html

    Seems like for 2020, the rear triangle is carbon, and SRAM AXS is mentioned in the description. Enjoy

  76. #76
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    5

    Just in case, here's the spec

    2020 Top Fuel Official Post-opera-snapshot_2019-05-22_040745_www.blazingbikes.co.uk.jpg

  77. #77
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    437
    disappointing there's no reactiv shock or 3 position shock. either fully open or fully locked.

  78. #78
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    9
    The 9.9 is on that site as well:
    https://www.blazingbikes.co.uk/index...tain-bike.html

    So there are models priced at £4795 and 8695. Huge gap. I want something in the middle.

  79. #79
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    56
    They have just removed 2020 Top Fuels from their website. Although I have seen TF 8 specs and Recon in is really disappointing... I hope it is a typo or something.

  80. #80
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafu View Post
    They have just removed 2020 Top Fuels from their website. Although I have seen TF 8 specs and Recon in is really disappointing... I hope it is a typo or something.
    The 2019 TF8 had a Recon as well, I agree disappointing. My 2017 TF8 has the Reaktiv shock and Fox 32 SC fork. It's noticeably lighter than my buddies 2019 TF8.

  81. #81
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    579
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowTiger View Post
    IMAGE
    Looks solid to me, I agree that this looks more like the spec sheet for a sub 5000.00 and not a 5500.00 bike but it could be worse like Yeti or some other brands. I feel like the 500ish extra is paying for the uniqueness of the bike, not much competition for a bike with similar geo, tire clearance, travel, full carbon frame/bar/wheels. Perfect bike for people like me, Cat 2 racer who uses their race bike as a trail rig for all kinds of trails.

    Happy to see it doesn't have SRAM garbage brakes. Not sure why so many people crap on GX Eagle, I rode it for a little over a year with absolutely no issues until I kicked up a branch into the rear derailluer that bent the hell out of it. Either way, I look at it as lower level components just means ride it till it degrades and then upgrade time.

    Wish that all these crosstrail bike makers would stop with the dual front and rear lockouts though. If it needs two modes, that's fine but make it OPEN/OPEN to LOCKED/FIRM not OPEN/OPEN to LOCKED/LOCKED. There are rarely ever times that a fully locked fork is better than one that is just firm in trail situations.

  82. #82
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    268
    Quote Originally Posted by doctacosmos View Post
    Itís not the same design itís not full floater. Itís the most basic suspension design there is.
    Yeah, its not full floater, but its not the "most basic" suspension design either. Its still a linkage driven single pivot with the concentric ABP pivot at the axle. The "most basic" would be a regular single pivot (a la Orange bikes), and a regular linkage driven single pivot (without ABP) would also be more basic.

    I guess it depends on how much full floater actually helped with pedaling performance. I'm guessing it wasn't that significant of a factor, since the Slash and Remedy have already moved away from the full floater design. If I'm not mistaken, I think if I remember correctly I read on here somewhere that full floater helped Trek's ABP patent get around Weagle's split pivot patent, because otherwise they're basically the same. I think there was a lawsuit over this at one point.

    Either way. I've ridden split-pivot/ABP bikes with both full floater and non-full floater and they all pedal fine IMO.
    Patrick

  83. #83
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    579
    Quote Originally Posted by alias33 View Post
    Iím trying to decide between the Scott spark Rc pro and the 9.8 with an upgrade to sram xx1 or axs.

    Scott benefits: less pivots at the dropout
    100mm and more racey?
    Xtr vs gx out of the box, but oem alloy junk wheels

    2020 top fuel benefits: brand new not dated like the Scott
    115 in the rear for 15 extra mm of rowdiness, I race with a 120r/140mm front setup currently so itíll feel similar with 120 up front on the fuel
    Gx eagle on a $5500 bike with junk slx brakes is discouraging

    Thoughts? Or should I just get the 9.9?
    If I could swing the 9.9 that is what I would do. I haven't had any first hand experience with Scott but I have heard mixed things about the Spark.

  84. #84
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    579
    Quote Originally Posted by pjames12 View Post
    Yeah, its not full floater, but its not the "most basic" suspension design either. Its still a linkage driven single pivot with the concentric ABP pivot at the axle. The "most basic" would be a regular single pivot (a la Orange bikes), and a regular linkage driven single pivot (without ABP) would also be more basic.

    I guess it depends on how much full floater actually helped with pedaling performance. I'm guessing it wasn't that significant of a factor, since the Slash and Remedy have already moved away from the full floater design. If I'm not mistaken, I think if I remember correctly I read on here somewhere that full floater helped Trek's ABP patent get around Weagle's split pivot patent, because otherwise they're basically the same. I think there was a lawsuit over this at one point.

    Either way. I've ridden split-pivot/ABP bikes with both full floater and non-full floater and they all pedal fine IMO.
    Maybe my Trek rep explained it poorly to me but I was introduced to full floater in 2016 and told that it helps the rear suspension progression feel more "bottomless" so I just assumed that full floater was a slight engineering crutch to help with the feel of a rear shock when it reaches the upper limits of it's travel and that it didn't really change much about how the bike or shock performed pedaling. I am probably wrong though and I probably just misunderstood the Trek rep.

  85. #85
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    268
    Quote Originally Posted by drdocta View Post
    Maybe my Trek rep explained it poorly to me but I was introduced to full floater in 2016 and told that it helps the rear suspension progression feel more "bottomless" so I just assumed that full floater was a slight engineering crutch to help with the feel of a rear shock when it reaches the upper limits of it's travel and that it didn't really change much about how the bike or shock performed pedaling. I am probably wrong though and I probably just misunderstood the Trek rep.
    No, that appears to be correct. Thats what the Trek website claims full floater does:

    https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/i.../full_floater/

    Whats likely is in the years since they introduced full floater, they've found a way to get a similar feel with either better shock technology or modifying the linkage in some other way. Wouldn't make sense to just remove it from all of their most recent bike releases if they weren't able to design a platform that works just as well.
    Patrick

  86. #86
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lone Rager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    5,814
    What matters is the leverage curve, not where the ends of the shock are attached. If you arrange it to get substantially the same curve when attaching the end of the shock to a forward extension of the chainstays (full floater), or the down tube, or the top tube, or anywhere else, it'll work the same. Full-floater is pure marketing BS IMO.
    Do the math.

  87. #87
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3

    New BB??

    Quote Originally Posted by RUBIO View Post
    Fotos
    No one is commenting on the BB. Doesn't look like a press fit BB. I heard a rumor Trek is moving back to threaded BBs.

    Or am I missing something in the image?

  88. #88
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    579
    Quote Originally Posted by mwbyrd View Post
    No one is commenting on the BB. Doesn't look like a press fit BB. I heard a rumor Trek is moving back to threaded BBs.

    Or am I missing something in the image?
    Rumor is Trek is moving to threaded BBs yes, but it looks like at least this bike will not be gifted with one. All spec lists currently released have SRAM DUB Pressfit.

  89. #89
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by drdocta View Post
    Rumor is Trek is moving to threaded BBs yes, but it looks like at least this bike will not be gifted with one. All spec lists currently released have SRAM DUB Pressfit.
    The TF will be Pressfit, the Supercaliber or other bikes I don't know.

  90. #90
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    5

    The internet strikes again

    Quote Originally Posted by drdocta View Post
    Rumor is Trek is moving to threaded BBs yes, but it looks like at least this bike will not be gifted with one. All spec lists currently released have SRAM DUB Pressfit.
    Google's cache agrees with you...although Trek's website doesn't seem to show it anymore...This seems to state 2019 though, with SRAM AXS

    https://webcache.googleusercontent.c...k&client=opera

    I thought SRAM AXS was new on top fuel for 2020...well that's what I read on that site.

  91. #91
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    5

    Which is better???

    Both the bikes I'm looking at are not in stock...

    A Top Fuel 9.8 or this:

    https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/mountai...race/2059.html

  92. #92
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by alias33 View Post
    Iím trying to decide between the Scott spark Rc pro and the 9.8 with an upgrade to sram xx1 or axs.

    Scott benefits: less pivots at the dropout
    100mm and more racey?
    Xtr vs gx out of the box, but oem alloy junk wheels

    2020 top fuel benefits: brand new not dated like the Scott
    115 in the rear for 15 extra mm of rowdiness, I race with a 120r/140mm front setup currently so itíll feel similar with 120 up front on the fuel
    Gx eagle on a $5500 bike with junk slx brakes is discouraging

    Thoughts? Or should I just get the 9.9?
    I am working on this exact choice and am leaning towards the Scott. My local has both in stock. The Top Fuel has lower line specs and costs more...The carbon wheels on the Trek also weigh the same or even more that the DT Swiss on the Scott. I am super disappointed in the spec for the money after waiting a long time for the new Top Fuel...

  93. #93
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafu View Post
    They have just removed 2020 Top Fuels from their website. Although I have seen TF 8 specs and Recon in is really disappointing... I hope it is a typo or something.
    Not a typo. I saw all the specs on the dealer computer today and a few of the bikes in person. All are spec'd below the price of the bikes...The only way I would be interested in a TF is as a frame only option. Trek missed the mark on value per dollar by a mile...As of today, I am looking at other options...It's a shame after riding Trek so long and waiting on this particular bike for the past few years...

  94. #94
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    834
    Maybe Trek are factoring in the price increases due to the bikes now having a full carbon frame and a dropper post

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

  95. #95
    mtbr member
    Reputation: zgxtreme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    662
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowTiger View Post
    Both the bikes I'm looking at are not in stock...

    A Top Fuel 9.8 or this:

    https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/mountai...race/2059.html
    That is the exact model Iím considering if I donít feel the SuperCal checks all the boxes at a value that is reasonable.

  96. #96
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by drdocta View Post
    Rumor is Trek is moving to threaded BBs yes, but it looks like at least this bike will not be gifted with one. All spec lists currently released have SRAM DUB Pressfit.
    Just saw the new Top Fuels at the Trek Store in Charlotte, NC. It's the SRAM DUB pressfit. I wasn't familiar with the BB. Jasen explained it to me and it seem like a fix...but whatever.

    The manager didn't know about the rumor about BB going back to threaded.

    Bikes looked good. The 8 series in black and red looked better than 9 from a color perspective.

  97. #97
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    834
    The Canyon Lux looks like a great bike and well speced I'm just not happy with the reach on a size medium 430mm reach would be too short. The reach on my existing 2018 18.5 TF feels a bit short and its longer on paper than the Lux.

    I think I reach on the M/L 2020 looks good however

    Ps I'm just a tad under 5 foot 8

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

  98. #98
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    209
    Iím 5 7 and the 18.5 top fuel was a hair long. But thatís only because of preference I suppose. I mountain bike because I enjoy the woods too and found myself having to try too hard to look up and see the woods. I put a shorter stem and it helped me out a little bit. If I was just racing it would have been just right probably. I tried a 17.5 fuel ex and seemed like little kids bike. Crazy how 1 inch can make such a difference

  99. #99
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by doctacosmos View Post
    Iím 5 7 and the 18.5 top fuel was a hair long. But thatís only because of preference I suppose. I mountain bike because I enjoy the woods too and found myself having to try too hard to look up and see the woods. I put a shorter stem and it helped me out a little bit. If I was just racing it would have been just right probably. I tried a 17.5 fuel ex and seemed like little kids bike. Crazy how 1 inch can make such a difference
    5'6" here, I'm currently on a 15.5 Fuel Ex w/ 90mm stem and a 17.5 Top Fuel w/ 70mm stem. Both feel about right, I tried riding the Top Fuel with a longer stem and it felt too stretched out for me. I think I would have to use a 50mm stem on the 18.5 Top Fuel and I'm not convinced that would climb very well.

    It's too bad that we can't rent these bikes in a variety of sizes and really dial in the handlebar and stem length for the rental period. It's hard for me to really judge how a bike is going to fit me without messing with the stem.

  100. #100
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    209
    Having that step cast fork is why itís not a performance elite. Makes sense now. The 9.8 is pretty freaking legit actually lol. I was so worried trek was hugely downgrading the bikes but that 9.8 is super capable to work with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Post Your FUEL EX official post
    By efecto 0 in forum Trek
    Replies: 1159
    Last Post: 10-13-2017, 01:50 PM
  2. Trek Top Fuel 9 vs Top Fuel 9.8
    By thisisbenji in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-17-2016, 08:12 AM
  3. What will the future of bike technology bring us in 2020?
    By AC/BC in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 158
    Last Post: 09-03-2016, 11:47 PM
  4. Top Fuel 9 vs. Top Fuel 9.8
    By Spencerespencer in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-28-2016, 09:30 PM
  5. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-02-2007, 11:01 AM

Members who have read this thread: 364

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.