2020 Top Fuel Official Post - Page 4- Mtbr.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by kdimon View Post
    After increasing your pressures do you feel it is close to the 4sl for being pedaling. The 4sl is the other bike I am considering but prices are significantly more
    Still dialing things in, so can't answer definitively yet. But at the moment no, 4SL is a better pedaler and TP is a more capable descender.

mtbr member
    I was kinda thinking the following thread with 282 posts was already the official supercal post:

edit: Duh, wrong thread....this is Top Fuel, not supercal...
    Last edited by Lone Rager; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:08 AM.
    Do the math.

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by linds0r View Post
    Still dialing things in, so can't answer definitively yet. But at the moment no, 4SL is a better pedaler and TP is a more capable descender.
    It's going to be hard to beat the way a DW-Link bike feels under power.

Does anyone know the part number for the downtube protector? (not the knock block pad, the big one) We went through the "frame parts" section and could only find protective tape, ordered something that may or may not fit from Dexter...it was only $5, so if it works, it works and if it doesn't, oh well.

Lots of rocks to kick up here, the lack of downtube armor is going to limit my riding somewhat.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by richde View Post
    does anyone know the part number for the downtube protector?
    w513305 ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by drdocta View Post
    Agreed, having ridden both I would label the TF as the BCBR version of the FEX. With this TF I would never ride a TF again, as if I wanted a heavier slacker TF I would just get a Slash and have a bike that climbs almost as well as the FEX but can descend with the best of them (plus I like races so Slash would be more suited to enduro racing than the FEX). The Slash and TF being such good bikes that can do so much that the TF feels like too much of a muddled middle ground to me. Not quite as fast or good at climbing as the new TF but almost not as good at chunk and descending as the Slash. It's likely just me but I feel like the FEX (my previous 3 bikes) are a bike created with the worst of both worlds.
    Currently owning all three (I know, I know, but ya gotta get something going on a major milestone b-day year), I'd disagree with some of this.

The new FEX is a far better rugged trail bike than the Slash. But if you're running enduro races -- and in it to win it -- the Slash stands alone.
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Lots of rocks to kick up here, the lack of downtube armor is going to limit my riding somewhat.
    So did yours come with any armor at all? On trekbikes the red 9.9 XX1 is shown with black armor, while the XTR has clear tape. Which did you get? Also, is the red paint matte or glossy?

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    I think you mean the FEX is the muddled middle ground.
    Whoops, yeah that I did.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    Currently owning all three (I know, I know, but ya gotta get something going on a major milestone b-day year), I'd disagree with some of this.

The new FEX is a far better rugged trail bike than the Slash. But if you're running enduro races -- and in it to win it -- the Slash stands alone.
    I guess I agree too that it's a better rugged trail bike, I just always found myself wishing I was on a more xc oriented bike on climbs (and finessing my way downhill) or locking out a slash going up and then unleashing it downhill. I'm just weird like that and would rather have a bike that is great at something and ok at others than one that is just good at most things. (AKA I am deff not the target consumer for trail bikes)

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Finally I decided...just ordered a new TF carbon frame! I took considering yeti sb-100, intense sniper, fezzary signal peak.....but at the end I've referred TF....I hope it'll be the right choice!!
    I've had for 7 years a Rocky mountain element 2012 and more recently 2016. I'd like to transplant at the begininng all parts to TF including my carbon wheels even if they are no boost. I'd like to mantain also my sid 120mm fork even if 51mm offset. Curious to se how it performs.
    I've a question:
    - cable brake rear is inside the frame or outside like in my rocky?

Within a couple of week I'll post some pics
    Cheers
    Ernesto

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gartenmeister View Post
    So did yours come with any armor at all? On trekbikes the red 9.9 XX1 is shown with black armor, while the XTR has clear tape. Which did you get? Also, is the red paint matte or glossy?
    The photos are mixed, the first photo (XX1/VR) has the clear tape, the second one has the armor...I was thinking (hoping) the first photo was a photoshop. Mine has the clear tape.

The paint is glossy and the TFR decal stands out more IRL.

Weight for a ML with sealant, XTR Trail pedals, GPS mount, cage and Saint brakes with 180/180 RT86 rotors was 25lbs, 2oz. (Once you go 4-piston, you can't go back)

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Weight for a ML with sealant, XTR Trail pedals, GPS mount, cage and Saint brakes with 180/180 RT86 rotors was 25lbs, 2oz. (Once you go 4-piston, you can't go back)
    With what wheels and tires?

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    With what wheels and tires?
    Just what came in the box, Kovee Pro and XR3. The trail pedals are an extra 3oz and Saints without rotors weigh as much as Level Ultimates with rotors, so it would be a 3/4 pound lighter with stock parts and regular XTR pedals, and even lighter with a "true XC" spec of XXX wheels and XR2s (or at least one in the back).

I did not get the Bontrager Switch thru-axle, which I did NOT want anyway. Solid choice for a road bike, not so much for a MTB...just seems like something that'll eventually go missing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Just what came in the box, Kovee Pro and XR3. The trail pedals are an extra 3oz and Saints without rotors weigh as much as Level Ultimates with rotors, so it would be a 3/4 pound lighter with stock parts and regular XTR pedals, and even lighter with a "true XC" spec of XXX wheels and XR2s (or at least one in the back).
    That's incredible. My M/L 9.9 XX1 weighs 25.0 on with super lightweight pedals, XXX wheels, and XR2 on the back. Yours came stock at least 1.3 pounds lighter than mine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    That's incredible. My M/L 9.9 XX1 weighs 25.0 on with super lightweight pedals, XXX wheels, and XR2 on the back. Yours came stock at least 1.3 pounds lighter than mine.
    Seems almost too good to be true.

My L (black) weighs 11.9 kg (26.2 lb) with XTR race pedals. It is a 9.8 XT that I got my shop to switch to full XTR (including 4 piston brakes) and Kovee Pro wheels. Moving the XT/wheels to another frame.

Compared with 9.9 XTR, I'm adding 150g (brakes), 60g (saddle) and 110g (fork, according to r2-bike.com). With XXX and one XR2, it would be ~11.3 kg (24.9 lb) ... basically the same as yours.

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    That's what the Park scale said, and it was with ONLY what I listed. No bottle, no saddlebag, no spare tube, not even a CO2 adaptor.

Clean:

Dusty:

Really impressed with it and the XR3 tires, just need to try to tune some of the harshness out of it. Hit a rock and it jolts the bars, hit a small drop and it's like landing on a pillow.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    ... just need to try to tune some of the harshness out of it. Hit a rock and it jolts the bars, hit a small drop and it's like landing on a pillow.
    Consider doing an airshaft service. Mine came from Fox with the somewhat common "so much grease it fouls things up" issue. More supple now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Finally got the shock dialed on my Top Fuel. As I mentioned before, the Trek suspension calculator was way off on PSI guidelines to provide appropriate sag and support. With the added PSI the pedaling platform is firm enough that I'm very happy, I'm at the appropriate sag point, and I'm not wallowing deep in the travel on hard efforts. The bike still feels great descending and provides enough feed back to feel a real boost while pumping.

I weigh 160 pounds and assume fully loaded, water, tools, shoes, helmet, etc. I'm adding another ~10 pounds to the bike.

My settings (160 rider weight, 170 pound loaded weight):
    Spring: 205 PSI
    Rebound: 9-10 clicks out
    Shock sag: 12mm
    stock .4 volume spacer (for now)

Trek setting (170 pound loaded weight)
    Spring: 170 PSI
    Rebound: 8 clicks out
    stock .4 volume spacer

Would love to hear other's thoughts. Edit: this was measured using the high flip-chip setting.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    The general consensus I've heard of those moving from the old Top Fuel to the new one is similar. Go 10-20% higher pressure on the shock from Trek's recommended number, and put in a bigger volume spacer (red one).
    -DC, just some XC Bum from FL in NW Arkansas

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkpowa View Post
    The general consensus I've heard of those moving from the old Top Fuel to the new one is similar. Go 10-20% higher pressure on the shock from Trek's recommended number, and put in a bigger volume spacer (red one).
    Hm. I was thinking about removing the volume spacer and increasing the PSI even further. Has anyone felt that the suspension is too soft/linear at the end of the stroke?

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Hm. I was thinking about removing the volume spacer and increasing the PSI even further. Has anyone felt that the suspension is too soft/linear at the end of the stroke?
    Depends on how you feel about the initial shock movement, because that would make it even stiffer. But if you just wanted more mid and end stroke support, the same sag (and whatever pressure that takes, probably slightly less) with a bigger spacer would do that.

mtbr member
    Quick question for those with the black or have looked at the black, noticed this on the 9.8 GX at the local Trek shop. Normal due to the layup?

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    That is normal and intentional.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    --------------
    2019 Trek Top Fuel 9.8 SL
    1999 Trek 8000 SL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DouglyssRuns View Post
    That is normal and intentional.

Thank you.

mtbr member
    Personally, I wouldn't call it intentional. No marketing guy said, "Hey! Lets make it look all mottled and uneven." It looks that way as a unrepentant byproduct of how it's manufactured.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    If they wanted, they could have used a solid paint, like the red color. But they purposely used a semi for the black color so the fiber shows through. It's definitely for effect.

--------------
    1999 Trek 8000 SL

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't call it intentional. No marketing guy said, "Hey! Lets make it look all mottled and uneven." It looks that way as a unrepentant byproduct of how it's manufactured.
    I haven't looked closely at a "how carbon bikes are made" but they wanted to offer "raw carbon," so that's what they did. I'm almost sure that all the raw carbon with a pretty weave is just a cosmetic feature and not how it would normally look coming out of a mold if it were destined to be painted.

Formerly of Kent
    Its exactly how Enve and other high end bars wheels, etc. look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

ksj
    mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by zgxtreme View Post
    Quick question for those with the black or have looked at the black, noticed this on the 9.8 GX at the local Trek shop. Normal due to the layup?

Normal. The cool thing is that all of them are different. For instance the top bar on mine in the same spot as your photo looks more like the down tube in your photo.

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    This is totally normal. My OG Tallboy LT had the same finish.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Thats what unidirectional carbon looks like..

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Finally got the shock dialed on my Top Fuel. As I mentioned before, the Trek suspension calculator was way off on PSI guidelines to provide appropriate sag and support. With the added PSI the pedaling platform is firm enough that I'm very happy, I'm at the appropriate sag point, and I'm not wallowing deep in the travel on hard efforts. The bike still feels great descending and provides enough feed back to feel a real boost while pumping.

I weigh 160 pounds and assume fully loaded, water, tools, shoes, helmet, etc. I'm adding another ~10 pounds to the bike.

My settings (160 rider weight, 170 pound loaded weight):
    Spring: 205 PSI
    Rebound: 9-10 clicks out
    stock .4 volume spacer (for now)

Trek setting (170 pound loaded weight)
    Spring: 170 PSI
    Rebound: 8 clicks out
    stock .4 volume spacer

Would love to hear other's thoughts. Edit: this was measured using the high flip-chip setting.
    I weigh 172 and use 210psi to get Fox's recommended 30% "plush" sag setting, but what I found was that adding a couple clicks of rebound damping (towards closed) removed some of the harshness (same with the fork).

The suspension seems overdampened on high speed compression and underdampened on high speed rebound. Too little high speed rebound allows the tire to rebound too quickly when unweighted and allows the tire to slap the ground when coming off a trail obstacle. (harshness)
    Last edited by richde; 2 Weeks Ago at 08:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    There is a lot of talk in the middle of the thread about needing more than recommended pressure in the rear shock.

So I'll ask here -- where it's easy to find -- whether anybody has tried the 0.6 VR (0.4 is stock).

I may give it a whirl later this week, if the weather holds.

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    There is a lot of talk in the middle of the thread about needing more than recommended pressure in the rear shock.

So I'll ask here -- where it's easy to find -- whether anybody has tried the 0.6 VR (0.4 is stock).

I may give it a whirl later this week, if the weather holds.
    The recommend pressure may just be wrong.

Volume spacers will mostly just change mid to end stroke behavior anyway, it'll probably make a small difference in the sag, but that's not what they're for.

From the DPS tuning guide:
    Changing volume spacers in the shock is an internal adjustment that allows you to change the amount of mid stroke and bottom out resistance.

If you have set your sag correctly and are using full travel (bottoming out) too easily, then you could install a larger spacer to increase bottom out resistance.

If you have set your sag correctly and are not using full travel, then you could install a smaller spacer to decrease bottom out resistance.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    The recommend pressure may just be wrong.

Volume spacers will mostly just change mid to end stroke behavior anyway, it'll probably make a small difference in the sag, but that's not what they're for.
    Right. I think the bigger VR might be just what I want. May let me set pressure for a softer feel off the top, especially when the rear of the bike is lightly weighted, but still provide a good pedaling platform and bottoming resistance.

As you increase the size of the VR, it allows a slightly lower pressure for the same sag, and it's a 10 minute experiment, so I'll probably give it a shot this weekend.

But for me, it's just really fine tuning at this point. The bike rips!

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Right. I think the bigger VR might be just what I want. May let me set pressure for a softer feel off the top, especially when the rear of the bike is lightly weighted, but still provide a good pedaling platform and bottoming resistance.

As you increase the size of the VR, it allows a slightly lower pressure for the same sag, and it's a 10 minute experiment, so I'll probably give it a shot this weekend.

But for me, it's just really fine tuning at this point. The bike rips!
    Where are you at on rebound relative to the Fox DPS turning guide?

I'm coming off a Stache so a little rear end harshness isn't as critical as it used to be but another two clicks of damping has taken a lot of the edge off. 60 miles on it so far and the second 30 was much better than the first after the adjustment. Maybe it'll loosen up more with usage, but I'm not unhappy with it now.

The fork though...just took 10psi out of it to run 25% sag, since I was only using 100mm of travel anyway and I'm having a little trouble imagining holding onto the grips all the way through True Grit.

mtbr member
    For all your hardcore XC racers. Is the top fuel the only XC bike you guys would have or would a hardtail compliment the top fuel for those XC races?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    XC racer here, I wouldn't have a 2020+ Top Fuel as my primary race bike based on feedback from fellow racers who've raced the last Top Fuel and this one. 2020 Top Fuel and a super light Hardtail like the new SWORKS Epic HT could be a good combo with 5-6# between them depending on build.
    -DC, just some XC Bum from FL in NW Arkansas

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    I race about 10-12 Cat 2 (Sport) races/year and a several of festival endurance races. I don't consider myself hardcore as I only ride about 2,500 miles/year - mostly off road.

I just pulled the trigger on the 9.9 TF and plan to use it as my XC race/trail/play bike combined. I will keep my existing 2014 FS XC race bike and use it for really nasty/muddy conditions or for easy things like the Virginia Creeper Trail.

The new TF will be my first time trying a dropper post. If I don't like it, I will just remove it and save 0.6 pounds. But, I keep hearing that once you get used to it there is no going back.

I don't ever see a time I would go back to a hardtail for racing as I don't think it is worth the 3 pounds or so weight savings (for me).

mtbr member
    Re: Sizing

Several reviews have mentioned that riders have been finding it more comfortable to go one size larger than theyd previously ridden on a Trek.

The owners here found that to be true?

I was on a 19.5 with my 17 EX 9 which would place me on a Large TF. Curious what you all have experienced prior to purchase and what you have found most comfortable as you got used to the bike.

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004

Several reviews have mentioned that riders have been finding it more comfortable to go one size larger than theyd previously ridden on a Trek.

I was on a 19.5 with my 17 EX 9 which would place me on a Large TF. Curious what you all have experienced prior to purchase and what you have found most comfortable as you got used to the bike.
    Depends on what you mean by "comfortable." You can get "comfortable" on a lot of things if you make an effort to get used to it.

The reach measurements are pretty long, and since that's one of the main reasons for sizing up, it's just not as necessary once manufacturers catch up to what people want. I came off a 19.5 Stache 9.8, which has a slightly shorter reach and significantly higher stack height and the 18.5 TF feels just as good. Bars are definitely lower, but the balance is good.

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by slimphatty View Post
    For all your hardcore XC racers. Is the top fuel the only XC bike you guys would have or would a hardtail compliment the top fuel for those XC races?
    It isn't a "hardcore XC race" bike.

Top Fuel 9.9 is our top-of-the-line full suspension mountain bike for endurance racers and multi-discipline riders.

mtbr member

Road 19.5 treks now i ride 21.5 treks. The standover gain is not an issue but i way prefer the longer reach.

Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Hello there!
    I would like to change my SC 5010 with the new TopFuel and I planned to change the stock shox with a Fox dps 3pos without remote. How do you see this? There will be some issues in reaching the shox level while pedaling?

I am 5.7, would you go with a M or ML ? I do not race and I ride from a quick tour 30km/D+500m to all day trip on mountains 90km/D+2500.

Last, I have also tested the Yeti SB100 and I will really appreciate if anyone may share his impressions on this comparison...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Im on a 2019 Remedy 9.8 in size 19.5 inch. After reading some reviews about the TF I was also unsure about the sizing of my new TF. Then I had the chance to sit on a 19.5 inch Top Fuel for another customer at my LBS: fits perfectly! Im sure that one size up would be way too long for me.
    But how I understood the mentioning by the reviewers of taking the TF one size larger was compared to the old TF. Owners of the old TF, thinking about making the change to the new TF, maybe should take it one size larger.
    But thats only how my interpretation is...

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by 83ale83 View Post
    Hello there!
    I would like to change my SC 5010 with the new TopFuel and I planned to change the stock shox with a Fox dps 3pos without remote. How do you see this? There will be some issues in reaching the shox level while pedaling?

I am 5.7, would you go with a M or ML ? I do not race and I ride from a quick tour 30km/D+500m to all day trip on mountains 90km/D+2500.

Last, I have also tested the Yeti SB100 and I will really appreciate if anyone may share his impressions on this comparison...
    The shock is inverted so you won't be able to reach the lever on the bottom while riding. I am not sure if you could mount the shock traditionally. In the end, I am not sure why you would do this. The bike already comes with a DPS and it is nice. Mine even came with the Elite version. I rarely use the lockout. I may even eliminate it completely when the POS lever I am using wears out.

As far as size, you need to try both. The limiting factor for most is the dropper length. I prefer the larger size but, couldn't use the dropper I wanted so went a size down...

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    With the lockout being push-to-unlock ... if you removed it completely, would the shock/fork both remain fully open?

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfonz View Post
    With the lockout being push-to-unlock ... if you removed it completely, would the shock/fork both remain fully open?
    The rear lock out is push to lock...

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by yarbrough462 View Post
    The shock is inverted so you won't be able to reach the lever on the bottom while riding. I am not sure if you could mount the shock traditionally. In the end, I am not sure why you would do this. The bike already comes with a DPS and it is nice. Mine even came with the Elite version. I rarely use the lockout. I may even eliminate it completely when the POS lever I am using wears out.

As far as size, you need to try both. The limiting factor for most is the dropper length. I prefer the larger size but, couldn't use the dropper I wanted so went a size down...
    I want to switch to 3 pos level to have a bike more trail-oriented and to simplify the cockpit. Even also I lean while pedaling I won't be able to change the lever position? It looks to me strange...

I will change the shock not only remove the lockout

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I want to switch to 3 pos level to have a bike more trail-oriented and to simplify the cockpit. Even also I lean while pedaling I won't be able to change the lever position? It looks to me strange...

Im afraid you will not be able to reach the lever...

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    The rear lock out is push to lock...
    Not on my bike.

That's cool. I was asking for myself, as I also wouldn't mind simplifying the cockpit. And changing grips. I don't really need to lock the suspension out with the riding I do.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Not on my bike.

You have a 2020? They all use the same shock I believe so I am not sure why yours would be different from all the others? I wouldn't have bought this bike if it were push to unlock. I hate that set up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by petejupp View Post
    Agreed...

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Agreed...
    Best will be that some bike owner will "simulate" to act the lever, even also in a garage will be sufficient...

For who are interested in this modification, I have already checked with Trek about warranty and until the shock is 190x45 (European sizing sorry) there won't be any issue.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    You have a 2020? They all use the same shock I believe so I am not sure why yours would be different from all the others? I wouldn't have bought this bike if it were push to unlock. I hate that set up.
    Yes. Have had it about 2 weeks now. It's a 9.8 with Performance Elite shock. Most definitely twist the grip to lock, and then push the button to release/open. Which I prefer, contrary to yourself.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Yes. Have had it about 2 weeks now. It's a 9.8 with Performance Elite shock. Most definitely twist the grip to lock, and then push the button to release/open. Which I prefer, contrary to yourself.
    ? That is a push to lock system. The exact same one we all have...You said that yours was not push to lock? When you twist the lock, you are doing the same thing pushing a remote does. When you press the button, you are releasing the lock. If it were a push to unlock system, that would be reverse. If you remove your remote, your system will remain unlocked.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I've been toying with the idea of trying a standard 3-position DPS "lever" rear shock.

It appears like I could simply install it right side up to allow for lever access.

Thoughts? Am I missing something?

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    I've been toying with the idea of trying a standard 3-position DPS "lever" rear shock.

It appears like I could simply install it right side up to allow for lever access.

Thoughts? Am I missing something?
    It was my plan also, do you mean to install it upside-down, so you will have the lever on the top of the shock ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    It was my plan also, do you mean to install it upside-down, so you will have the lever on the top of the shock ?
    Well, the opposite of stock, which is kind of upside down to start with.

In any event, I thought it would fit with the blue lever up, and facing forwards.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019

In any event, I thought it would fit with the blue lever up, and facing forwards.
    I am not really sure looking to that frame ''edge'' where the link is attached
    2020 Top Fuel Official Post-p5pb17244013.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Has anyone ridden both the 2020 Top Fuel and the current model Scott Spark?

I have a 2018 18.5 Top Fuel and found the reach a bit short but then the 19.5 seat tube is too big. So thought the 2020 TF would be a better fit. But then noticed the current model Spark whick looks like it might be more capable for XC and trail riding. However my concern for the Spark was on paper the reach was even shorter than my current TF.

Just wondering if people have any comments on how both these bikes ride

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    ? That is a push to lock system. The exact same one we all have...You said that yours was not push to lock? When you twist the lock, you are doing the same thing pushing a remote does. When you press the button, you are releasing the lock. If it were a push to unlock system, that would be reverse. If you remove your remote, your system will remain unlocked.
    OK then. Seems this is another weird thing like "clipless" pedals. Seeing as I push a button to unlock the suspension, I thought it would be logical to assume that was a push to unlock system.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Can most of you verify that the 2020 Top Fuel is indeed coming with the Fox Performance Elite shock? Same for the fork? Specs on trek website dont show the Performance Elite. Only the performance.
    Trek Top Fuel 9.9 RSL
    Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL P1
    Trek Madone SLR9
    Trek Checkpoint SL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dsills View Post
    Can most of you verify that the 2020 Top Fuel is indeed coming with the Fox Performance Elite shock? Same for the fork? Specs on trek website dont show the Performance Elite. Only the performance.
    Ill be waiting for responses; think Im committing to a 9.8 tomorrow but if new builds are Elites, then Ill have them order one in lieu of taking the bike off the floor.

ksj
    mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    On mine the shock is the elite, the fork is the performance.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dsills View Post
    Still waiting for my TF 9.8 P1; maybe I will get it next week.

The Fox forks on the TFs are stepcast models.
    Ive visited the Fox website and saw, that theres only Factory and Performance as stepcast models, but no Performance Elite available as stepcast.
    This means for me theres no way that the fork can be a Performance Elite on the 9.8 TFs, except FOX might have produced some OEM only Performance Elite stepcast forks for Trek. But I dont think this has happened.

As already written a few days ago: I will give that "Performance-only" Fox fork a chance...

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by ksj View Post
    On mine the shock is the elite, the fork is the performance.
    Same with mine (9.8 XT).

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    OK then. Seems this is another weird thing like "clipless" pedals. Seeing as I push a button to unlock the suspension, I thought it would be logical to assume that was a push to unlock system.
    In this case it is because the twist loc system is rarely used. You usually use a push to lock lever to actuate the suspension. Trek did it this way so there was room to add a dropper lever.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    except FOX might have produced some OEM only Performance Elite stepcast forks for Trek. But I dont think this has happened.
    This kind of thing happens all the time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I am not really sure looking to that frame ''edge'' where the link is attached
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p5pb17244013.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	245.0 KB 
ID:	1291253
    Ah, good point. I need to pull a standard shock off another bike and check for clearance there, but it does look tight..

Good project for a rainy winter day.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Hello there!

I'm 5'10 and went with an ML. I suspect you're a M but you should test ride.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Nice!

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    I'm 5'10 and went with an ML. I suspect you're a M but you should test ride.
    Same, no need to upsize the TF...and I like bikes with longer reaches. No way I'd have bought the old TF.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019

Hello,
    It won't fit, I had today a quick ride on the parking and there is not enough room to have the shock with the blue level on top. You can fit a 3pos shock with the level on the bottom and you can reach the level while riding but you have to lean...not the best if you have to do this while racing but it can work.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Has anyone ridden both the 2020 Top Fuel and the Yeti SB100? I'm trying to decide between these two bikes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by maddchase View Post
    Has anyone ridden both the 2020 Top Fuel and the Yeti SB100? I'm trying to decide between these two bikes.
    I've ridden both and own a TF 2020. The yeti had really heavy tires. I like the way both bikes pedal, but got along with the TF better. The yeti also made a noise from the rear suspension on occasion. As always it's never a apples to apples comparison, but my impression of the yeti turned me off of it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    These guys did:
    https://enduro-mtb.com/en/the-best-m...ail-bike-test/

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Hello! About the sizing..

I have heard that with this particular model it is better to size up, is this true?
    I'm 187cm, so just between L and XL, and having a dilemma to decide.
    Any thoughts?

ksj
    mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    I'm the same height with a 86cm inseam. Went with an XL, which seems to work well though if I did it again I would go with L as I don't need a 170 dropper. A 150 would probably fit perfect.

mtbr member

2020 Top Fuel Official Post

First ride in the books. Love it. Been away from riding a year and a half so a lot of distrust in myself, the tires, etc., but so thankful to be back in the saddle in the dirt.

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by vkixc View Post

I have heard that with this particular model it is better to size up, is this true?
    Any thoughts?
    I'm right between the ML and L, ended up going with the M/L and it handles great. I like a longer reach, but the Large has a 470mm reach, which is way out there for for someone my height (5'10"/178cm). Probably would have had to use a 50mm stem if I'd have sized up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by vkixc View Post

Any thoughts?
    I'm your height with a 79 cm inseam (yes, LONG torso) and went with an XL.

It's perfect for my tastes, with the stock 80 mm stem. Interesting is that the new Fuel EX is a bit longer for a given size.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Only thing pushing the TF out of top spot is weak brakes and twisloc? I'll take that, enjoying the twistloc (year 2 of using it now) and brakes are an easy upgrade.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Nice review!
    They forget to sumarize in "riding charateristiques" for TF !!

Just arrived invisiframe protection for new frame.....I hope in a ferw days to post the bike!

Trek Top Fuel 9.8XT P1
    Sep 2019
    2020 Top Fuel Official Post-img_2686.jpg2020 Top Fuel Official Post-img_2687.jpg2020 Top Fuel Official Post-img_2688.jpg2020 Top Fuel Official Post-img_2689.jpg2020 Top Fuel Official Post-img_2690.jpg2020 Top Fuel Official Post-img_2691.jpg2020 Top Fuel Official Post-img_2692.jpg2020 Top Fuel Official Post-img_2693.jpg2020 Top Fuel Official Post-img_2694.jpg2020 Top Fuel Official Post-img_2695.jpgPicked up the new bike last week and absolutely love it!! here are some pics. cheers. Trek Top Fuel 9.8XT P1.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I sold my sb100 for a top fuel and have no regrets. I bought it for marathon racing on rougher courses but like it so much that I have trouble justifying racing another bike regardless of the course. This is my first Trek in quite a few years after a string of Yetis. Id say the yeti climbs slightly better with a more firm pedaling platform but just barely. This is something I can only feel on pavement. The TF descends better. The TF is lighter too - Having swapped the same parts from one to the other I think I saved around a pound. If given the choice, Id pick the TF regardless of scenario over the sb100. I just swapped on a heavier Wheelset with minions to see if I can get rid of my longer travel bike as I feel that the TF can handle pretty rough stuff but Im not sure I want to beat on my race bike like that

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by dgregorie View Post
    I sold my sb100 for a top fuel and have no regrets. I bought it for marathon racing on rougher courses but like it so much that I have trouble justifying racing another bike regardless of the course. This is my first Trek in quite a few years after a string of Yetis. Id say the yeti climbs slightly better with a more firm pedaling platform but just barely. This is something I can only feel on pavement. The TF descends better. The TF is lighter too - Having swapped the same parts from one to the other I think I saved around a pound. If given the choice, Id pick the TF regardless of scenario over the sb100. I just swapped on a heavier Wheelset with minions to see if I can get rid of my longer travel bike as I feel that the TF can handle pretty rough stuff but Im not sure I want to beat on my race bike like that
    Hello,
    which size for both bikes? How tall are you ?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Hello,
    which size for both bikes? How tall are you ?
    Im just over 6 ft. Large in both

mtbr member
    Just in case anyone was wondering about tire clearance, I put on 2.6" Schwalbe tires front (HD) and rear (NN). Plenty of clearance. 34 Stepcast up front.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by expatrider View Post
    Just in case anyone was wondering about tire clearance, I put on 2.6" Schwalbe tires front (HD) and rear (NN). Plenty of clearance. 34 Stepcast up front.
    Incredible!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by kzadro View Post
    Picked up the new bike last week and absolutely love it!! here are some pics. cheers. Trek Top Fuel 9.8XT P1.
    A beautiful color scheme.
    What is the size and the weight? Do you have other upgrades besides the brakes?

I am also very interested in the XT version and will upgrade the brakes and the wheels to the kovee pros.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by expatrider View Post
    How about pics of clearance. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    2.6 Vittoria Barzos fit too. I'll snap a few pics when I get a minute, but there isn't much of a need. They fit with quite a bit of room to spare, front and rear. The Barzos are 2.55 after some stretch on the "30 mm" Bontrager carbon rims the 9.8 is fitted with. That makes it pretty close to a real 2.6 tire if it was fitted to a proper 35mm rim.

Now if it didn't take a wood vice and 3000 pounds of force to dismount tires off of those rims ...

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by adaycj View Post
    2.6 Vittoria Barzos fit too. I'll snap a few pics when I get a minute, but there isn't much of a need. They fit with quite a bit of room to spare, front and rear. The Barzos are 2.55 after some stretch on the "30 mm" Bontrager carbon rims the 9.8 is fitted with. That makes it pretty close to a real 2.6 tire if it was fitted to a proper 35mm rim.

Now if it didn't take a wood vice and 3000 pounds of force to dismount tires off of those rims ...
    How do you like the Barzos? Do you race on the 2.6 model?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by drdocta View Post
    How do you like the Barzos? Do you race on the 2.6 model?
    If you call my mid pack late 40's sport/age group stuff racing, yes I race on 2.6s. But I've also raced on a fat bike, and my "race" bike for the last three years was a steel Jamis with 3.0 inch tires.

For me and my riding the Barzos are the perfect mix of relatively low rolling resistance, enough tread to ride XC, and more durable (so far) than the paper thin WTB and Schwalbe plus tires I've ridden on in previous seasons. Talking about speed, and PRs, a such it is never easy to quantify in comparison to another rider, or another region, or, or, or ... but I'm faster on the Barzos pretty much everywhere over the XR3s. They also have more grip in the corners, can be run at lower pressures (17, 18 for me), and are a little more comfortable.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Not the tires you quoted, but 2.6 Barzos

https://photos.app.goo.gl/JnRPBUZH2rzrWbPZ9

About 10mm at the seat stay for each side, 9mm at the chain stay.

Trek Top Fuel 9.8XT P1
    Sep 2019
    Thanks man! it looks awesome in the flesh. Looks a bit green in the pictures with the reflection of the grass, but is black and shadow grey.

I got a M/L size. I'm 172cm and felt good. I tried the L but was too big for me. Came from a M Superfly so fells a bit bigger than I'm used to but very happy that I went the M/L. I haven't weighed it as yet.

I ended up going for the XR2 Tyres, Kovee Pro wheels and carbon seat.

When I bought mine it came with the XT Brakes which was awesome. I think now it only comes with SLX.

I'm super happy with it though. The bike just wants to float over stuff and gives you so much confidence.

Not sure why people are hating on the twist lock. Its fantastic. I regularly ride to the trails so on the road its awesome. There isn't any bounce and super stiff. Then press the button when you hit the tracks, so easy. There is an extra cable but who cares about that.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018

2020 Top Fuel Official Post

Quote Originally Posted by kzadro View Post
    Not sure why people are hating on the twist lock. Its fantastic. I regularly ride to the trails so on the road its awesome. There isn't any bounce and super stiff. Then press the button when you hit the tracks, so easy. There is an extra cable but who cares about that.
    I totally agree, I had a test ride at the roc dazur in France and really loved the twist lock. For me, it is a must have in Flanders (Belgium).
    I am 181cm with long legs and arms, a L will fit me. Even a XL will be possible with a shorter stem, but I am doubting about the longer wheelbase.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    My 2019 TF is twist to unlock, so sometimes it gets jarred locked. That really sucks. Otherwise it's fine.

--------------
    1999 Trek 8000 SL

mtbr member
    Grips to match TwistLoc...

Anyone have calipers to check the TwistLoc so I know which thickness of ESI to get?

I noted in one thread Racers Edge (once trimmed) was perfect whereas ESI says the Chunky. Just trying to verify the actual size so I can maintain the transition.

mtbr member
    Oct 2019
    Ive got Chunky on mine, and they are too big, about a 2 millimeters in diameter. Racers Edges probably fit better.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Anyone have calipers to check the TwistLoc so I know which thickness of ESI to get?

I noted in one thread Racers Edge (once trimmed) was perfect whereas ESI says the Chunky. Just trying to verify the actual size so I can maintain the transition.
    FWIW, I've got a less than ideal left hand that makes the twist-loc approach unusable.

I'm having great luck with my "new and improved" Fox push/push lever, combined with my beloved Wolftooth Fatpaw grips.

No dropper here, so plenty of room for the Fox lever.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SS78 View Post
    Ive got Chunky on mine, and they are too big, about a 2 millimeters in diameter. Racers Edges probably fit better.
    Racers Edge it is. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Racers Edge it is. Thanks.
    I used Racers Edge on mine, and the diameter is as perfect as you can get with a foamy grip.

One thing to consider. The ESI grips are wider so you can move the twist lock inboard some if you like your controls inboard more which also makes the LH grip wider. I almost cut the ESI LH grip to the length of the removed stock grip right away. I think I got nearly 10mm more grip on the LH side with perfectly comfortable controls, which makes me like the twist lock even more because I have more real estate for my hand when I'm on trails that don't lend themselves towards lockout usage.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adaycj View Post
    I used Racers Edge on mine, and the diameter is as perfect as you can get with a foamy grip.

One thing to consider. The ESI grips are wider so you can move the twist lock inboard some if you like your controls inboard more which also makes the RH grip wider. I almost cut the ESI RH grip to the length of the removed stock grip right away. I think I got nearly 10mm more grip on the RH side with perfectly comfortable controls, which makes me like the twist lock even more because I have more real estate for my hand when I'm on trails that don't lend themselves towards lockout usage.
    Was going to do the same (cut it to match that which Im replacing) until you said something. Ill bear with the Bontrager grips a bit longer allowing time to mess with control placement and see what I settle on.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

I am running the FIT XC grips and they mesh up well with the Twist Lock. I believe that is what many riders on Trek Factory Racing use as well.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234