2019 Remedy?- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Remedy?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

2019 Remedy?

Anyone else getting a 2019 Remedy? Post 'em up!

I just picked up my 2019 9.8, and I'll be building it this week!

Starting here:

BUILT:
    Last edited by ZenkiS14; 09-23-2018 at 08:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenkiS14 View Post
    Anyone else getting a 2019 Remedy? Post 'em up!

I just picked up my 2019 9.8, and I'll be building it this week!

Starting here:
    This bike is on my short list.
    I will be following this thread.
    how did you just get the granite colored frame? I only saw the black one available? Or did you order the 9.8 and it came completely unassembled?

I am interested in how it pedals for long rides, climbs, and how it feels going down. I have to demo this bike at some point as they will not be at Outerbike in Bentonville.

Could you take a few more pics of the frame for me up close.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    ive had one for a couple weeks now. amazing climber, especially on the tech stuff. i love the high bb, the big tires have amazing grip, and the suspension feels great. im not much into bombing on downhills, but it def feels more confident then my 5010 did.

i have not had a single issue with the knock block, and i have some tight trails. i didnt know it, but there are 2 locations to mount a tube under the top tube. i added a 2nd bottle cage and a homemade pouch for tubes.

my only real complaint is the sizing. i have the 21.5 and the seat tube is a smidge too high. ive gotten used to it, but the dropper is slammed. no getting a longer dropper for me. and it is odd because i had the same issue on last years remedy, and trek said they lowered the seat tube this year.

also while the tires are great on the chunk, on smooth trails i feel the drag (duh)

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    So I am coming out of a 2018 Remedy 9.8 (Currently for sale), and I can say without question that it is the best bike i have ever owned. I ride mostly midwest single track, with 2-4 trips to Bentonville a year (Coler, Slaughter, Leatherwood...etc), and its absolutely perfect.

I ordered the bike as a complete 9.8, but I am rebuilding to a 9.9+ spec (FULL x01, new fork, and Line PRO wheels). Bikes all come in boxes, and have to be assembled by the local shop you buy it through. I'm just building mine at home

What pics of the frame would you like? I have a 2018 9.8 here as well as a 2019 9.8

I can also agree that my single only gripe is the length of the seat tube, I have no idea why Trek does it that way, they always have. Not a big deal for me, I'm just limited to a 150mm post, which is totally fine for me

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I am an orange guy So this grey/white scheme will be new for me, just wanted to see it up close. For whatever reason the picture you posted won't expand.

Let me know how it goes.
    I am in Dallas, it is XC country. I want a bike that is overkill for these trails, but perfect for Bentonville/Austin and for my trips to Colorado/MOAB.

I have a list of bikes I am going to be riding at Outerbike in Bentonville this October.
    SB130, Norco Sight, Evil, etc.
    Really sucks Trek wont be there, I will have to demo this bike at another time some place.

Anyways, looking forward to your review.

Where are you in midwest? I am originally from STL.

mtbr member
    I was thinking that was just primer until I noticed the Trek logo.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    I was thinking that was just primer until I noticed the Trek logo.
    they call it Granite Grey. I like it actually, its different.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by lardo5150 View Post
    I am an orange guy So this grey/white scheme will be new for me, just wanted to see it up close. For whatever reason the picture you posted won't expand.

Let me know how it goes.
    I am in Dallas, it is XC country. I want a bike that is overkill for these trails, but perfect for Bentonville/Austin and for my trips to Colorado/MOAB.

I have a list of bikes I am going to be riding at Outerbike in Bentonville this October.
    SB130, Norco Sight, Evil, etc.
    Really sucks Trek wont be there, I will have to demo this bike at another time some place.

Anyways, looking forward to your review.

Where are you in midwest? I am originally from STL.

Yep! I am STL as well, and do trips to NWA regularly. I have family there, been riding there since '10.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Yep! I am STL as well, and do trips to NWA regularly. I have family there, been riding there since '10.
    NICE!!
    Keep us up to date on the ride of the bike. This bike has been at the top of my list, but my keeps changing every day LOL.
    Lot of great bikes coming out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Yea man, there's a ton of good stuff out there, I've just been on a Remedy every year since 2014, and they just keep getting better. I'm sure this one will be better than my '18, which is the best bike Ive ever owned.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    I've had the past four years (2016, 2017, 2018, 2019) of Remedies and I have to say this year is a BIG change. Maybe not quite as big as 2016-2017, but close.

I'm only two rides in so I can't pinpoint exactly what feels so different, by my initial feeling is that the suspension is way more supple in the top of its stroke (Debonair? Lack of full floater?) and the overall bike feels stiffer and more confident. I do also note an improved climbing position, though not necessarily better climbing in any other way (maybe improved traction due to suspension, but that's subtle).

Regardless, I'm super impressed. After years of feeling like the Remedy just gets leftovers from the 29er lines, it really feels like they put the full force of R&D into this one. Can't wait for dry weather to really run it hard. 🤘

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDwayyo View Post
    I've had the past four years (2016, 2017, 2018, 2019) of Remedies and I have to say this year is a BIG change. Maybe not quite as big as 2016-2017, but close.

I'm only two rides in so I can't pinpoint exactly what feels so different, by my initial feeling is that the suspension is way more supple in the top of its stroke (Debonair? Lack of full floater?) and the overall bike feels stiffer and more confident. I do also note an improved climbing position, though not necessarily better climbing in any other way (maybe improved traction due to suspension, but that's subtle).

Regardless, I'm super impressed. After years of feeling like the Remedy just gets leftovers from the 29er lines, it really feels like they put the full force of R&D into this one. Can't wait for dry weather to really run it hard. 🤘
    let us know, i am following this thread closely!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I have a Miami Green 9.8 on order. They say October for the green ones. Figured I could wait another month or two for the color I wanted. Can't wait.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    I did swap the tires for 2.5 G5s, since I've been doing a lot of DH riding lately. I'll put the 2.6 XR4s back on when the snow/ice riding season kicks in.

Also should have said I went with the Remedy 8. I almost went Slash, but couldn't stomach the Yari vs. a Lyrik. Small difference I know, but I was on the fence so that made up my mind.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I will get a 2019 Remedy 9.9 frame (incl. Shock) due to a warranty case on my 2015 Slash. Gonna buy a lot of new parts and only swap a few over (dropper, brakes, fork and frontwheel). Cant wait, the frame should be here by the end of october!

I will use it as a long legged trailbike for my hometrails, which include a lot of climbing, so I try to do a sub 28lbs build.
    The old Slash will then be replaced for a 29er Enduro racebike (Spartan 29?)

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I am curious how this bike would handle something like Monarch Crest.
    Where you pedal up about 7000ft, and then there is a general straight line of just pedaling, then finally some down.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    I am curious how this bike would handle something like Monarch Crest.
    Where you pedal up about 7000ft, and then there is a general straight line of just pedaling, then finally some down.
    Got another, albeit short, ride yesterday and I'm definitely noticing I use the lockout more than on previous models. It may be the Debonair, but it just seems way more sensitive to small bumps which means more pedal bob as well.

That said, it climbs great. I did 1,000 feet in under 5 miles with no issue. If you want to race a buddy up a climb it may not be the bike for it, but for sitting and spinning up a long climb it'll do just fine... Particularly with Eagle.

So I'd say it will handle the ride you describe just fine, but from what I know that ride is more in the Fuel's wheel house. If that's the kind of riding you'll do all the time, I'd go Fuel. I do freeride and DH with my Remedies, otherwise I'd have a Fuel.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Got some parts that showed up for my build:

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Got some parts that showed up for my build:

I'm very interested to hear your opinion on the 2.6's.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    What fork is that? Upping the travel with the air shaft I'd guess?

Kinda surprised you went for the XR4s, I think this bike deserves at least SE4s like it came with on the RSL in 17. I'm curious to try the 2.6s, but will wait until ice and snow make for less aggressive riding and better use of big rubber.

I may even try out some 2.8s if this winter gets out of hand. I've done a few DH runs in the snow, but I've always wanted to try it on a plus to see if it becomes a bit more reasonable... On 2.4s it's more novelty than actually riding DH.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    red fork?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    subscribing- def on short list for me too. and some Remedy nostalgia
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    What fork is that? Upping the travel with the air shaft I'd guess?

Kinda surprised you went for the XR4s, I think this bike deserves at least SE4s like it came with on the RSL in 17. I'm curious to try the 2.6s, but will wait until ice and snow make for less aggressive riding and better use of big rubber.

I may even try out some 2.8s if this winter gets out of hand. I've done a few DH runs in the snow, but I've always wanted to try it on a plus to see if it becomes a bit more reasonable... On 2.4s it's more novelty than actually riding DH.
    Yep, this is the Lyrik RC2 in the pro team color, and I am actually decreasing from 170mm to 160mm. And yes, red, because its gonna look awesome! haha

I went with Xr4s (also still have the OEM SE4s), because 90% of what I ride is single track and groomed bike park stuff. I have SE4s for racing enduro on the rare occasion that I will. 2.6's are perfect.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Yep, this is the Lyrik RC2 in the pro team color, and I am actually decreasing from 170mm to 160mm. And yes, red, because its gonna look awesome! haha

I went with Xr4s (also still have the OEM SE4s), because 90% of what I ride is single track and groomed bike park stuff. I have SE4s for racing enduro on the rare occasion that I will. 2.6's are perfect.
    So you are going to sell the stock fork?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    So you are going to sell the stock fork?
    Already sold.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Already sold.
    Sweet! Just wanted the real deal RC2, not the OEM version?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Sweet! Just wanted the real deal RC2, not the OEM version?
    Mostly just wanted RED...lol

But yea, the factory was RCT3, kinda curious about the RC2, I'll probably not be able to tell a difference, but the Red will look effing sweet lol

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Mostly just wanted RED...lol

But yea, the factory was RCT3, kinda curious about the RC2, I'll probably not be able to tell a difference, but the Red will look effing sweet lol
    Sweet! I think the RC2 has more adjustments to be made so it may be a noticeable change... But glad you are honest that red was probably the biggest factor.

That's gonna be a sick build! My 8 is already a killer bike, if I ever kept a bike more than a year I'd consider doing it proper justice like you are!

Sticking with the stock shock? I've always wanted to try a remedy (or any trek for that matter) with a non reaktiv shock... I'm betting there are gains to be made once you get past the sizing issue.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I actually love that shock, had one on my 2018 Remedy, and best shock I had ever ridden!

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    I actually love that shock, had one on my 2018 Remedy, and best shock I had ever ridden!
    Which one? Anything on a 2019 should be different from any on a 2018 (thru shaft on higher end, Debonair on lower). I've got the Debonair on my 19 Remedy 8, feels better than whatever was on the 2018 Remedy 8... But I doubt it'd hold up against some of the more coveted models if I were able to compare.

mtbr member
    Which one? Anything on a 2019 should be different from any on a 2018 (thru shaft on higher end, Debonair on lower). I've got the Debonair on my 19 Remedy 8, feels better than whatever was on the 2018 Remedy 8... But I doubt it'd hold up against some of the more coveted models if I were able to compare.
    Rear shocks are the same from 2018 to 2019. They have RE:aktiv with Thru Shaft on the Remedy 9.8 and 9.9, and regular IFP-backed RE:aktiv on the 9.7 down to the 8.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Deep Thought View Post
    Rear shocks are the same from 2018 to 2019. They have RE:aktiv with Thru Shaft on the Remedy 9.8 and 9.9, and regular IFP-backed RE:aktiv on the 9.7 down to the 8.
    2019 added Debonair, so though it may be a similar model it is definitely not the same shock... I've got a 2018 and a 2019 Remedy 8 sitting side by side in my garage.

mtbr member
    2019 added Debonair, so though it may be a similar model it is definitely not the same shock... I've got a 2018 and a 2019 Remedy 8 sitting side by side in my garage.
    Hmm. My bad. Everything I read talked about Super Deluxe getting the new air can. I must have missed where they upgraded the Deluxe.

So .... slightly different air cans, but same dampers.

mtbr member
    How are people liking the Carbon Bonty Line pro 30 rims so far? I’m eye balling a R9.8

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    anyone ride a Norco Sight? Wanting to see how this compares to that.
    is the remedy nimble and poppy?

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Hmm. My bad. Everything I read talked about Super Deluxe getting the new air can. I must have missed where they upgraded the Deluxe.

So .... slightly different air cans, but same dampers.
    Makes sense. I figured they were basically the same otherwise, but it does have a slightly different feel from the last three years' remedies. Hate to admit it for fear of sounding Kool-Aid influenced, but the difference I feel coming off the last three is basically what Debonair's marketing says it is supposed to do. Increased traction is pretty noticeable.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    My 2018 9.8 had a RockShox Deluxe RT3, RE:aktiv with Thru Shaft, which is the same as the 2019 9.8 and it was awesome.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I have ordered a 2019 Remedy 9.8 in miami green. In addition to my 2019 Full Stache. I´m on 29er´s only since nearly 10 years now and I´m curious about how the smaller wheels will work for me. In about 4 weeks I can try and find out...

mtbr member
    Anybody try a Remedy rocking 2.8 tires? I’m curious to see how it rides.

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Geniusbiker View Post
    I have ordered a 2019 Remedy 9.8 in miami green. In addition to my 2019 Full Stache. I´m on 29er´s only since nearly 10 years now and I´m curious about how the smaller wheels will work for me. In about 4 weeks I can try and find out...
    I switched from a 29er (2016 Remedy 9) to a 27.5er (2018 Remedy 9.8), and the smaller wheels definitely make the bike more maneuverable.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    So is the OP done building yet? Any pics of the new bike to post up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    he needs to hurry LOL
    waiting for a review.

Would really like to know if this thing rides like the Norco Sight or similar bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    hahaha shit guys, I've been slacking. I needed some extra tools in order to take apart the Lyric and lower it to 160mm, so I was waiting on those to come in! I think they are actually here today, so hopefully I can get it together this weekend! We'll see! Trust me, I want to see it done as well!

You guys want me to do a "Build Video" ? lol

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I think a “build video” would be great!

Was wondering how you could let it sit, missing tools is as good a reason as any. Probably better than trying to make it work with something you had.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by V8Interceptor View Post
    Anybody try a Remedy rocking 2.8 tires? I’m curious to see how it rides.
    id like to try it but am unsure about running them on the stock rims

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by fishywishy View Post
    id like to try it but am unsure about running them on the stock rims
    Stock for what? If it's 2019 stock they're intended to run them, but I'm guessing not. What's the ID on the rims? Most rims these days are plenty wide to run 2.8s.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Stock for what? If it's 2019 stock they're intended to run them, but I'm guessing not. What's the ID on the rims? Most rims these days are plenty wide to run 2.8s.
    I´m also thinking about going 2.8s as soon as my Remedy has arrived.

Trek customer service told me that the stock rims allow to go with 2.8s; they are 30 mm wide.

mtbr member
    I would imagine that the remedy 2.8 is what trek wanted the fuel ex 2.8 wanted to be. All the rollover, grip, and fun without the pedal strikes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    29mm

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    29mm
    Ya that should be fine. As far as I'm aware that's the same as the stock wheels that Trek states will work with 2.8s.

I dropped it down from 2.6 to 2.5 right out of the box... But I put on 2.5 G5 DH casings so I get all the weight of 2.8!

(This time of year, and this year in particular, I find myself riding a lot of super slick rocky DH and FR type stuff so the DH tires are worth the penalty... Besides I take them off and put on lighter tires at the start of spring and suddenly feel like superman. )

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by buddiesconfusion View Post
    How are people liking the Carbon Bonty Line pro 30 rims so far? I’m eye balling a R9.8
    I've the 108 POE Line Pros on my 17MY Remedy 9.8.
    Superb wheels. Hold a line beautifully and mute the trail a touch. The hubs are outstanding so far and engage super fast.

Just have to watch tyre pressures so they don't become too harsh or suffer rim strikes if pressure is too high or low.

2yr warranty is so so now that more brands are offering lifetime and no questions asked for a touch more $$$.

They're also a good chunk lighter than the stock comps it came with.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by JonJones View Post
    I've the 108 POE Line Pros on my 17MY Remedy 9.8.
    Superb wheels. Hold a line beautifully and mute the trail a touch. The hubs are outstanding so far and engage super fast.

Just have to watch tyre pressures so they don't become too harsh or suffer rim strikes if pressure is too high or low.

2yr warranty is so so now that more brands are offering lifetime and no questions asked for a touch more $$$.

They're also a good chunk lighter than the stock comps it came with.
    Yup, I've had the Line Elites (same hub, aluminum rim) a little over a year now (over 2k miles) and love them... Except the rims are super soft so you have to be careful with pressure, as you say. I've rebuilt the rear once with a new rim, and desperately need to again now. Can't complain too much though, I ride hamfisted in rough terrain more often than not.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Yup, I've had the Line Elites (same hub, aluminum rim) a little over a year now (over 2k miles) and love them... Except the rims are super soft so you have to be careful with pressure, as you say. I've rebuilt the rear once with a new rim, and desperately need to again now. Can't complain too much though, I ride hamfisted in rough terrain more often than not.
    I have a mate with the 2018MY 9.8 which I believe comes with Elites. Even with SE tyres he dented those rims. The look nice and probably feel compliant but they're so soft like you say. They seem to dent if you look at them intently.

Those hubs though... Mint.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    I have a mate with the 2018MY 9.8 which I believe comes with Elites. Even with SE tyres he dented those rims. The look nice and probably feel compliant but they're so soft like you say. They seem to dent if you look at them intently.

Those hubs though... Mint.
    Yup, I've been running SE5s the whole time... Folded the first rim wall over completely flat onto the inside of the rim, without even knowing it happened. Still have no idea when I did it, no big drops or anything that day. The second set I just ran 30 PSI at all times, but still got enough minor dents over the last year that it's toast now. Got another of the same rim to put on, but after that I'm going with something else.

It's odd too because they're the same rims on the DH wheels, which apparently Trek racers including Rachel Atherton use. (That's what the Trek rep told me anyway.) I know she can get them rebuilt after each race, but I blew a race due to that first rim... So it seems odd she'd be able to get by as hard as they have to ride on those courses.

I do love that hub, especially for the price.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    any other reviews on this thing?
    Waiting to hear if it is still as playful as the older models.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Made some progress tonight, got more done than photo'd, but I got too tired to go through the trouble of setting up the x01 eagle from scratch tonight lol

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Did you weigh the frame? What size?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    shit lol, you know, I didnt haha It's a 19.5" though

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Got it finished up finally over the weekend:

New Bike Day for me

29.1 With DH pedals:

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    ok....go ride this thing!
    I want to know how it feels for you climbing, pedaling for distances, how playful if at all it is, etc.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Looks awesome by the way!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    That's a great looking bike. I was riding my Remedy all weekend and loving the ride. Hoping you enjoy yours!

mtbr member
    looks damn good !!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks dudes, I'm curious to see how it compares to my 2018 Remedy 9.8. I'm putting together the "Build Video" now, I'll post it up shortly.

mtbr member
    Awesome lookin' bike! I'm really diggin' the finish, it looks like a prototype!
    1992 Trek 800 Antelope
    2009 Haro Mary SS
    2015 Trek Stache 7
    2017 Trek Fuel EX 9

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    any other reviews on this thing?
    Waiting to hear if it is still as playful as the older models.
    That's a tough term to quantify, but it's more stable than the previous years (or any before that) so I think it is less 'playful.' It's not a huge difference, but it definitely feels more stiff and confident. That said, the suspension is more supple so it's still very poppy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Well, here's a quick build video I did lol Just working on bikes at my house...

https://youtu.be/aW1Lj86X5yM

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Schame on you, ZenkiS14 ;-)
    Now I´m not sure anymore that miamigreen was the right decision.
    Talked already to my LBS and asked if changing colors still would be possible (it is and delivery date would be the same).
    Now I will have some sleepless nights. Only because of your awesome looking bike! :-)

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    hahaha The Miami green is awesome, my wife has a Miami green Remedy!

Remember, most of the reason my bike looks good is the red fork lol

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    hahaha The Miami green is awesome, my wife has a Miami green Remedy!

Remember, most of the reason my bike looks good is the red fork lol
    It´s not only the red fork! It´s the first time that I can see this matte gravel "in person". And I like it very much!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Initial Trail Report: Best bike ever...

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    LOL
    Come on man, don't leave me hanging.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Bring this thing to Outerbike at the end of October in Bentonville so I can ride it

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Says EVERYone whos got a new bike...

I hope its good though, as my Frameset 9.9 is coming in october (at least hope so).

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy87 View Post
    Says EVERYone whos got a new bike.
    It's pretty damn good. Best Remedy in four years, I can say with no hesitation... And I've loved all of my Remedies.

The best part about it compared to last year (or the year before since there was no change) is that they truly improved it (however incrementally) in terms of climbing and descending. I knew it'd feel a bit stiffer and more confident descending, new bikes always seem to, but I didn't expect that it would also feel a bit better climbing due to the seat angle putting you in a better position.

Can't speak to its objective merits as 'best bike ever' or even how it compares to other similar bikes from other manufacturers... But I can say that if you've liked previous Remedys (or even Fuels) you will LOVE it!

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Reviews state its a great climber but not a very fast descender. Fine by me because I am looking for a do it all bike since I am gonna buy a 29er Enduro race bike.

Really curious how it compares to the Slash 9.8 2015 which its replacing! Anyone had a Söash 9.8 2015 before?

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Only one sleepless night was needed: order changed from Miami green to Matte gravel ;-)

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Reviews state its a great climber but not a very fast descender. Fine by me because I am looking for a do it all bike since I am gonna buy a 29er Enduro race bike.

Really curious how it compares to the Slash 9.8 2015 which its replacing! Anyone had a Söash 9.8 2015 before?
    I'd like to see whatever review said it's not a fast descender... It seems confident enough that it will be as fast as the rider can handle, at least on rough descents. I could understand if they meant it isn't as nimble on smooth, tight descents but it seems like that's not what it's made for anyway.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Reviews state its a great climber but not a very fast descender. Fine by me because I am looking for a do it all bike since I am gonna buy a 29er Enduro race bike?
    Hm, the reviews available at the moment and that I know are only first ride reports from the presentation of the new Remedy. Or did I miss something?
    Ok, sometimes they say it might be a little bit short compared to other bikes, but I´m sure that the descending capabilities of the new Remedy should be more than fine for the average rider.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    One of our local Elite riders competes DH and Enduro on a Remedy 9.7 2018 and he constantly places 1-2 in DH races on the Remedy with the elites all on DH rigs. Bike is fast going down. He does have alfa male rims (DT swiss EX 471). He has a youtube channel all Remedy https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0Q...d0Hsg/featured

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I'd like to see whatever review said it's not a fast descender... It seems confident enough that it will be as fast as the rider can handle, at least on rough descents. I could understand if they meant it isn't as nimble on smooth, tight descents but it seems like that's not what it's made for anyway.
    Ok there you go:

Short, less stable, no race bike, great climber:
    https://www.dh-rangers.com/gallery/f...ml?ppuser=2499

Trailbike, great climber, not a fast descender:
    https://www.vitalmtb.com/product/gui...ws/3293/expand

Tilt more towards general purpose, no smasher:
    https://www.mtb-mag.com/en/tested-th...ek-remedy-9-9/

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    It's all relative when you read those articles. I haven't been able to try a '19 yet- but if you look at the new for 19 Bronson or bikes like that it makes sense where they are downhill focused. The Bronson has 21mm more wheelbase in the largest size and the Kona Process 27.5 has 27mm more. So in the 150 travel class, those other bikes are tuned more for the downhill/enduro spectrum and the Remedy is more for the all mountain/trailbike end of the spectrum. Personally, it's what I like about the Remedy (at least why it's on my short list)- a little more balance for the ups and levels for that amount of travel.

I don't want to base everything on Geo charts- but the articles make sense from my demo rides of other bikes.

Australia

Damn, that's one of the nicest colour combos I've seen on any bike for quite some time. Good work!
    2019 Stache 9.7
    ̶2̶0̶1̶6̶ ̶S̶t̶a̶c̶h̶e̶ ̶7̶

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

I’m riding 2017 9.8 , out of interest , in these changes ,

Does it feel like there is a bit more room in the cockpit or much the same ?

Cheers

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bataleon View Post
    Damn, that's one of the nicest colour combos I've seen on any bike for quite some time. Good work!
    Thanks dude! I'm pumped with how it turned out!

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Ok there you go:

Trailbike, great climber, not a fast descender:
    https://www.vitalmtb.com/product/gui...ws/3293/expand
    Found this one interesting. As someone who has done predominantly freeride and DH on the last four Remedys, I think this one is a good deal more confident in handling that stuff than any before... And I really wasn't complaining before either.

Part of it may be that I did size up (no issue with seat tube), which does give it a longer feel... And part of it may just be that I haven't spent much time on similar bikes from other companies like the Transition or Santa Cruz he mentions.

Regardless, I've already had mine down the absolute gnarliest trails we have (known for DH, some say better than many parks) and it eats it up just fine. Put up a time that rivals many on DH bikes this weekend in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfern View Post
    I’m riding 2017 9.8 , out of interest , in these changes ,

Does it feel like there is a bit more room in the cockpit or much the same ?

Cheers
    It does seem like there's a bit more room, which is odd since the seat angle should actually make it feel shorter if I'm not mistaken. On the 2017/2018s I always felt a bit too forward, on the new one it feels more natural. (Only noticed this when climbing really.)

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    So has anyone really given a good review after riding one of these? I seem to be missing a few posts (like the thread needs a second page but hasn’t started it yet)

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Found this one interesting. As someone who has done predominantly freeride and DH on the last four Remedys, I think this one is a good deal more confident in handling that stuff than any before... And I really wasn't complaining before either.

Part of it may be that I did size up (no issue with seat tube), which does give it a longer feel... And part of it may just be that I haven't spent much time on similar bikes from other companies like the Transition or Santa Cruz he mentions.

Regardless, I've already had mine down the absolute gnarliest trails we have (known for DH, some say better than many parks) and it eats it up just fine. Put up a time that rivals many on DH bikes this weekend in fact.

It does seem like there's a bit more room, which is odd since the seat angle should actually make it feel shorter if I'm not mistaken. On the 2017/2018s I always felt a bit too forward, on the new one it feels more natural. (Only noticed this when climbing really.)
    Funny how Maes´s GT that won Whistler has the same stats as the Remedy (65-65.5 27.5, 150/160) and that bike is a fast descender
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/martin...tler-2018.html

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    The GT Force is about 1/2 degree slacker, a little less than 1/2 inch lower, and about 3/4 of an inch longer wheelbase. That's pretty meaningful combined. Not bad-mouthing remedy btw, probably going to be my next bike (probably?) because I think the Remedy and maybe the Altitude are probably the best "all mountain" 27.5 packages- but 150/160 applies to quite a few bikes that ride pretty differently.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    So is the OP going to ride and give review?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    So is the OP going to ride and give review?
    lol I wish I had more time to spend riding, and on the internet writing articles, but the bike is fantastic. Feels more stable and agile than my previous 4 Remedies, best pedaling remedy I have ever had. I love this bike, and might even hang on to it for a few years, which would be a first for me.

Bike package in its current form that I have is simply incredible.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    yes, he won because of the bike

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    yes, he won because of the bike
    That´s precisely my point. Some reviewers may say it is not a fast descender, but that´s just them....

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    They put it in relation to other bikes on which they are faster on... so yes, its pretty valid

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Feels more stable and agile than my previous 4 Remedies, best pedaling remedy I have ever had.
    It's funny, but it really is. They made it more confident descending, but also a better climber. Sounds like marketing BS but it's definitely true.

I did 2 hours of freeride stuff last night and hit just about all of my favorite drops and steeps as well as some I'd been looking at for years but hadn't done... This new iteration of Remedy really handles it well. A few big drops I felt like I was kind of half-assing, just rolling in hot and hoping for the best... I was pretty surprised how well the bike handled some pretty poor landings.

I knew it ate up DH already, but last night proved it can take big hits from FR too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Can you by any chance compare it to a 2015 trek Slash 9.8 ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    whats this remedy like vs 2017? i have a 9.8 2017. took a giant reign 2019 2 out recently and it slays the remedy for speed & handling.

now i'm looking at a more endurobro bike. maybe slash

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I have a 17 Fuel EX 8 (27.5+) and i'm considering making a switch to a new Remedy 9.8. Does anyone have experience with the new remedy that has time on a fuel? I'm curious how the bikes compare especially climbing as i sure spend a lot of time climbing. All things considered the new Remedy looks absolutely awesome. I'd love to see the mint green color if anyone has any pics.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Can you by any chance compare it to a 2015 trek Slash 9.8 ?
    I don't have experience on those old Slashes, but they were fairly similar to today's Remedy in some regards. Geometry has changed quite a bit though, so probably apples to oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by leem85 View Post
    whats this remedy like vs 2017? i have a 9.8 2017. took a giant reign 2019 2 out recently and it slays the remedy for speed & handling.

2019s are pretty similar to 2017s, I'd say the biggest changes are with the climbing position (note - not climbing itself, just the position on the bike, though it still does make it feel like a better climber) and suspension - which feels way more responsive. The new model also feels quite a bit stiffer, which makes it a fair amount more confident on rough descents and big hit drops/jumps.

I still have my 2018 (same as 2017), I may have to pedal the two around a bit to try and get a more clear picture of the changes.

Quote Originally Posted by CF700 View Post
    I have a 17 Fuel EX 8 (27.5+) and i'm considering making a switch to a new Remedy 9.8. Does anyone have experience with the new remedy that has time on a fuel? I'm curious how the bikes compare especially climbing as i sure spend a lot of time climbing. All things considered the new Remedy looks absolutely awesome. I'd love to see the mint green color if anyone has any pics.
    Aside from the obvious difference of the wheels (which you could negate by going 2.8 on a new Remedy) I think you will find the Remedy to be miles ahead of the Fuel in confidence descending. You can do anything on a Fuel that you can do on a Remedy but it's going to feel a lot more sketchy on a Fuel. The flip side of that is you can climb anything on a Remedy that you can a Fuel, but you'll feel less motivated to try and do it fast.

If you're focused on climbing, or even just concerned with climbing fast, I'd stay on a Fuel. If you are confident in your climbing, and not sweating the times on the ups, but want to improve your descending I'd go with the Remedy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Reign is a completely different bike.... 64.5 head angle, 170mm travel, 2.5/2.4 tires. Not sure comparing it to the Remedy on downhills is necessarily fair...

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

I have the same remedy , still think it’s a great bike in the alrounder sense ,

I’ve been looking at the canyon strive as an enduro bike , check them out , they are great value , the shapeshifter is the big bonus , guys I know that own them swear by them .

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by ash216 View Post
    Reign is a completely different bike.... 64.5 head angle, 170mm travel, 2.5/2.4 tires. Not sure comparing it to the Remedy on downhills is necessarily fair...
    When I bought the Remedy (blind, mind you) i was under the impression that it was close to the reign in descending but a better climber. or better all round bike which is true i suppose. i guess my riding is leaning more and more in to downhill orientated stuff

now when i ride my remedy it feels flimsy, small, unstable in corners. Geeze.

I extended the fork to 160, tuned the suspension, put new rims on it, and run the same 2.5/2.4 tires.

I think the reality is the remedy while a great bike gets slapped about by the big boys. I will pass on the 2019 version. The 2.6 tires say it all really.

might end up going hardtail for xc duty & something around 170 for the enduro duty

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I have the same remedy , still think it’s a great bike in the alrounder sense ,

I’ve been looking at the canyon strive as an enduro bike , check them out , they are great value , the shapeshifter is the big bonus , guys I know that own them swear by them .
    I will, thanks. So far ive got sb130, sb150, slash, instinct bc on the list of bikes to demo.

i really like the look of the pivot firebird but the bike might just be too big ..

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    The remedy is a great Allrounder. If you really want a downhill bruiser, I think you should look somewhere else. If you want a do it all bike, then Remedy.

I for myself build it up as lighter long legged and capable trailbike which is its intended use I guess. Wouldnt buy it as an Enduro race machine.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Aside from the obvious difference of the wheels (which you could negate by going 2.8 on a new Remedy) I think you will find the Remedy to be miles ahead of the Fuel in confidence descending. You can do anything on a Fuel that you can do on a Remedy but it's going to feel a lot more sketchy on a Fuel. The flip side of that is you can climb anything on a Remedy that you can a Fuel, but you'll feel less motivated to try and do it fast.

If you're focused on climbing, or even just concerned with climbing fast, I'd stay on a Fuel. If you are confident in your climbing, and not sweating the times on the ups, but want to improve your descending I'd go with the Remedy.
    Thanks for the feedback. The remedy is really appealing as i am looking for all around trail bike - maybe more capable than the fuel. The other bike i'm considering is the Ibis Mojo 3. I wonder how the remedy compares to the Mojo 3.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Yea, I'm glad the Remedy isnt a dedicated DH bash bike or enduro racer. I wanted a tough playful trail bike for having fun and pedaling to the top of the fun stuff, and it's exactly what I wanted. I'm pumped on my 2019.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    When I bought the Remedy (blind, mind you) i was under the impression that it was close to the reign in descending but a better climber. or better all round bike which is true i suppose. i guess my riding is leaning more and more in to downhill orientated stuff

now when i ride my remedy it feels flimsy, small, unstable in corners. Geeze.

I extended the fork to 160, tuned the suspension, put new rims on it, and run the same 2.5/2.4 tires.

I think the reality is the remedy while a great bike gets slapped about by the big boys. I will pass on the 2019 version. The 2.6 tires say it all really.

might end up going hardtail for xc duty & something around 170 for the enduro duty
    I can assure you the new model does not feel flimsy, small or unstable (but then again neither did the 2017 or 2018 I owned). It may not be able to hang with 'the big boys' (which I assume means longer travel bikes with more aggressive geometries, which makes sense) but it's not dainty either.

If you aren't riding DH or freeride type stuff, there's no reason to choose it over a Fuel in my opinion. A Fuel handles 'aggressive trail' just fine... Remedy is for hucking. I'm sure a bit more travel can be comforting at times, but my rides on DH trails with guys on DH bikes tell me it isn't lacking anything crucial for that style of riding.

... And who cares about stock tires? I threw 2.5 downhill tires (G5s) on my 2019 immediately, haven't ridden it with anything else. Honestly it's pretty telling that you are dismissing a bike because a .1 difference in tire width 'says it all' for you.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Yea, I'm glad the Remedy isnt a dedicated DH bash bike or enduro racer. I wanted a tough playful trail bike for having fun and pedaling to the top of the fun stuff, and it's exactly what I wanted. I'm pumped on my 2019.
    Yup! When I do all day backcountry rides I can throw some XC tires on and it's not a pig to push around like I'd guess most 170, super slack bikes would be. I've done three 100 mile races on Remedies in fact.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I believe with most bikes as a general rule when you gain an advantage in one area , you lose in another ,

I was talking to a guy recently who spent big bucks on this aggressive intense bike ,

While it ticked all the boxes descending, he was disappointed in how sluggish it felt peddling around ,

Just depends where your priorities lie .

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I can assure you the new model does not feel flimsy, small or unstable (but then again neither did the 2017 or 2018 I owned). It may not be able to hang with 'the big boys' (which I assume means longer travel bikes with more aggressive geometries, which makes sense) but it's not dainty either.

If you aren't riding DH or freeride type stuff, there's no reason to choose it over a Fuel in my opinion. A Fuel handles 'aggressive trail' just fine... Remedy is for hucking. I'm sure a bit more travel can be comforting at times, but my rides on DH trails with guys on DH bikes tell me it isn't lacking anything crucial for that style of riding.

... And who cares about stock tires? I threw 2.5 downhill tires (G5s) on my 2019 immediately, haven't ridden it with anything else. Honestly it's pretty telling that you are dismissing a bike because a .1 difference in tire width 'says it all' for you.

I'm not dismissing the Remedy. I do think it's a great bike. But having ridden a 2019 Reign I now know what I want out of a bike.

My comment re the tires is because Trek positions it as their trail bike and while yes it can go downhill the bigger bike (Reign) does it better. I wouldn't put 2.6 tires on an enduro bike. I find them quite different to the 2.5 DHF for example. (unless im mistaken about these bonty tires, i have previously had XR4, SE4 in various sizes including 2.6, its too... bouncy, doesn't track like a dhf. the SE4 2.4 was a lot better IMO)

When I first got the bike It was awesome, but my riding has progressed to a point when Im bombing down illegal trails or national downhill lines that the bike is starting to feel sketchy but otherwise it handles those trails ok.

My strava & race times are not too far off the pros (somewhere between 10-30seconds depending on length of track) and I'm now convinced that a bike like the reign will take my riding to the next level.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Well, here is a video that might be helpful to you guys down the road, but you can lower the new Bontrager Line Dropper posts using specific spacers. I like to ride the 19.5" because of the reach, however my legs are too short to handle the 150mm dropper, so I put in the 10mm spacer to lower it to 140mm, and now it's perfect. Install was mega easy, took 2min, required no tools, and works flawless:

https://www.pinkbike.com/video/493935/

Also, the video of me building the bike up from scratch:

https://www.pinkbike.com/video/492773/

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    So did any of you who got the 2019 Remedy look at the Slash as well? And what made the difference for you in your decision? I am currently debating this and leaning towards Remedy cause it sounds more like an “all arounder” than the slash.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Looks like you already figured it out by yourself

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bills View Post
    So did any of you who got the 2019 Remedy look at the Slash as well? And what made the difference for you in your decision? I am currently debating this and leaning towards Remedy cause it sounds more like an “all arounder” than the slash.
    The Slash is a dedicated Enduro race bike, the Remedy is an all around play bike. I dont care about racing lol

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    i was afraid it would be too much bike as a trail bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    i was afraid it would be too much bike as a trail bike.
    The Slash is a dedicated Enduro race bike, the Remedy is an all around play bike. I dont care about racing lol

Sounds like the Remedy is what I want. I’m not a racer by any stretch, and want a little more travel while keeping a good all around package. The Slash idea was to keep 29” wheels so that all of my spares would be the same. But I really want to try the 27.5 and see how much difference I feel coming from a fuel ex. Need to find out how long to get one into the LBS.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Sounds like the Remedy is what I want. I’m not a racer by any stretch, and want a little more travel while keeping a good all around package. The Slash idea was to keep 29” wheels so that all of my spares would be the same. But I really want to try the 27.5 and see how much difference I feel coming from a fuel ex. Need to find out how long to get one into the LBS.
    I had a 2014 Remedy 8 29, then a 2015 Remedy 9.8 29, then a 2017 Fuel EX 9.8 29 at 140mm, then I stepped outside my comfort zone and went with a 2018 Remedy 9.8 27.5, and when it came to buy a new bike this year, I went with a 2019 Remedy 9.8 27.5, and I'll likely do it again lol Shit is so much fun!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    A mate of mine has just brought a brand new Slash 9.8 ( i think its 9.8 ) havent seen it yet , he has been riding a 2014 9.8 Fuel for years , is a massive fan of 29 inch wheels ,wanted more travel , I will let you know how much he likes it .

LWK
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I had a 2018 Remedy 9.8 for this season and just spent about 5hr over 3 rides on a Slash to help me figure out what I want for next season. In my mind, the Slash is better at covering ground rapidly but the Remedy is better when it comes to jumping, tricks and generally goofing around. I dont think one is more "all round" than the other. Its more to do with your riding style and interests. And the differences between the two are mostly relatively minor though I thought the Remedy was certainly a better jumping bike.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    I was going to get a Slash... The Yari on the Slash 8 (versus a Lyrik on the Remedy 8) pretty much broke the tie for me.

Also, I was leaning a bit that way already because I use my trail bike for dual slalom, pump tracks and even some dirt jumping... Seems like 27.5 are better for those than 29.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Here is my new 2019 Trek Remedy.

867861E5-DA2E-4995-863B-CDF8B2A26DC4 by Sam Rogers, on Flickr

Current spec is and will upgrade to in red.
    Al frame
    Rockshox deluxe - Fox dpx2
    Fox 36 grip2 160mm + syncros mudguard
    Shimano XT groupset
    Shimano XT brakes - Hope tech 3 v4
    Joystick Builder bars - joystick analog carbon
    DMR deathgrip
    DT swiss xm481 rims on Hope pro4 hubs
    Maxis High roller 2/Continental der Baron
    Xfusion manic dropper post 150mm
    Charge spoon saddle
    Nukeproof Neutron pedals - Burgtec penthouse mk4
    Last edited by 01sam; 10-08-2018 at 03:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Should find out how much I like it early next week..... 9.8 Remedy on the way!

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Congrats! 9.8 is the model i'm considering. What color did you go with?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 01sam View Post

Al frame
    Shimano XT groupset
    DMR deathgrip
    Charge spoon saddle
    Sweet build !! Congrats. If you end up wanting another water bottle cage, I've found the Lezyne Side Load Bottle Cage works well on these treks...You can get the bottle in and out without scuffing up the bottom of your top tube.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CF700 View Post
    Congrats! 9.8 is the model i'm considering. What color did you go with?
    I got the Matte grey color, mine won’t have the fancy red forks like the OP has...
    Last edited by Bills; 10-10-2018 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Spelling

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I got the Matte grey color, mine won’t have the fence red forks like the OP has...
    hahaha Still a good color!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Al frame
    Shimano XT groupset
    DMR deathgrip
    Charge spoon saddle
    Nice looking ride there. Hope you're having fun on it. Interesting choice of shock too. What are you hoping it'll do better than the stock unit? I went X2 and it's so much better at my weight..
    Last edited by JonJones; 10-11-2018 at 01:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    My miami green 9.8 is in and built. Will get it probably tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I was going to get a Slash... The Yari on the Slash 8 (versus a Lyrik on the Remedy 8) pretty much broke the tie for me.

Also, I was leaning a bit that way already because I use my trail bike for dual slalom, pump tracks and even some dirt jumping... Seems like 27.5 are better for those than 29.
    Its only a $300 part to turn a Yari into a Lyrik. The only difference between the two forks is the damper, the chassis is identical. I did this with my Slash 8, the dealer sold me the RC2 damper conversion for $255. With the Remedy costing more to begin with, this makes both bikes the same price and you would actually have a better damper than the Remedy comes with stock (RC vs RC2).

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Nice looking rode there. Hope you're having fun on it. Interesting choice of shock too. What are you hoping it'll do better than the stock unit? I went X2 and it's so much better at my weight..
    I’m not sure on the reactive stuff, need to spend more time on it. The bike feels super plush when in it’s travel. But on the start of the stroke it feels strange. Maby I need to spend more time on it and will get used to it.
    I think an x2 would be overkill for me. I spend 50% of my riding tight techy trails and 50% flow trails. I use the 3 setting on the shock so think I would miss that on the x2.
    Another factor is vanity I want to match the back with the front.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I’m not sure on the reactive stuff, need to spend more time on it. The bike feels super plush when in it’s travel. But on the start of the stroke it feels strange. Maby I need to spend more time on it and will get used to it.
    I think an x2 would be overkill for me. I spend 50% of my riding tight techy trails and 50% flow trails. I use the 3 setting on the shock so think I would miss that on the x2.
    Another factor is vanity I want to match the back with the front.
    The Re:Aktive is ok and works for a lot of people. I do feel that once you get outside of average weight ranges it isn't quite as good.

The DPX2 from what I hear is a decent upgrade and kudos to you for being aware of looks being a motivator. The X2 did the same for me. :^).

Now if I could just get the fork to feel as nice...

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyguy19 View Post
    Its only a $300 part to turn a Yari into a Lyrik. The only difference between the two forks is the damper, the chassis is identical. I did this with my Slash 8, the dealer sold me the RC2 damper conversion for $255. With the Remedy costing more to begin with, this makes both bikes the same price and you would actually have a better damper than the Remedy comes with stock (RC vs RC2).
    Ya I looked into that... I work at a shop so the cost difference wasn't a concern; both bikes will sell for roughly the same amount after a year. Also I had a few sets of spare 27.5 wheels so I was kind of looking for excuses to stay with that wheel size. It wasn't a deal breaker, it was more of a tie breaker.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    So today I picked up my new Remedy!! Can’t wait to get a ride in this week.

One question, does anyone know what the differences are between the “Line Pro” and the “Linr Carbon” wheels? I have line pros on my fuel, and the hub is different but any other differences?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    From what I've seen this is the difference.

Line Pro has
    108 POE hubs
    Machined silver hubs
    Bladed straight pull spokes

The Line Carbon has
    54 POE hubs
    Black hubs
    J bend spokes..

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    So finally got my new Remedy. Had a 2017 Remedy 9.9.. But wanted the colour on the new 9.7. So bought one and moved all the parts over. I really like the updates to the frame. Now if only my new 170mm Bontrager line elite dropper could show up...

Skickat från min H9436 via Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    From what I've seen this is the difference.

Line Pro has
    108 POE hubs
    Machined silver hubs
    Bladed straight pull spokes

The Line Carbon has
    54 POE hubs
    Black hubs
    J bend spokes..
    Thank you for the info! There isn’t anything about line carbon I can find.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Nice spec from what I can see there @gallain

In the side by side shot the 2017 looks more steep in the STA than the 2019 model. Are you noticing the difference in geo?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    So today I picked up my new Remedy!! Can’t wait to get a ride in this week.

One question, does anyone know what the differences are between the “Line Pro” and the “Linr Carbon” wheels? I have line pros on my fuel, and the hub is different but any other differences?
    I can break this down as I just swapped Line Carbon for Line Pros. If you are familiar with Bontrager wheel models, its very easy to understand. But in short, the hubs and spokes are nicer on the Pros. The "Line Carbon 30" wheels come with 'Comp' level hubs that have 54T engagement and traditional J-bend spokes (the driver CAN be upgraded). Where the Line PRO 30s come with straight pull hubs, 108T driver, and bladed spokes.

The Line Pro's are about .5lb lighter than the OEM wheels (for the set).

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Nice spec from what I can see there @gallain

In the side by side shot the 2017 looks more steep in the STA than the 2019 model. Are you noticing the difference in geo?
    As a matter of fact yes. I did notice a little difference. Not that much but a little.

The spec is
    SRAM XO1 group
    Shimano XTR/Saint brakes
    Bontrager line pro wheels, bar, stem.
    Cane creek Helm fork at 170mm
    Cane creek db air cs shock
    Maxxis DHF 2.5 exo maxterra/maxgrip
    I have a Bontrager Line Elite wheelset with G5 tires for bike park riding.

Skickat från min H9436 via Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Got to put my first 12 miles on the new Remedy today. Other than some adjustment to the B-screw on the Eagle being needed it was a great ride. The bike really seems to handle well and lets you put it right where you want on a trail. To me the bike felt stable and very easy to change direction. Going to put a few more miles on it tomorrow to test the adjustment on the Eagle, then hoping to get to the flow trail and see how it feels there sometime this weekend.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I got my 9.8 on Friday. Have three rides on it now. Awesome. I demoed a 2018 9.8 over the summer, and I think this one is better. Suspension platform is better on small bumps(no that the 18 was bad... it was great) and bigger hits seem like you are landing on a pillow. I am struggling to find something negative to say about it. I had to make some minor adjustments like moving the seat back and adjusting where the shifter is on the bar a little, but everything else is awesome. I even think the Lyrik is performing better than the one on the 18 demo, but that might just be in my head.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016

This looks dope!

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Anybody can tell me if this is High or low: (in my understanding it mustbe high):

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Anybody can tell me if this is High or low: (in my understanding it mustbe high):

Hi, this is low.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Thanks very much. You shure?

mtbr member
    Thanks very much. You shure?
    bolt towards the back of the bike is low.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAkO9rlS894

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    can anyone compare the new Remedy to the ibis Ripmo? Curious how they compare particularly their climbing abilities. I know they have different size wheels but they have similar suspension travel.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Well, here is a video that might be helpful to you guys down the road, but you can lower the new Bontrager Line Dropper posts using specific spacers. I like to ride the 19.5" because of the reach, however my legs are too short to handle the 150mm dropper, so I put in the 10mm spacer to lower it to 140mm, and now it's perfect. Install was mega easy, took 2min, required no tools, and works flawless:

https://www.pinkbike.com/video/493935/

Also, the video of me building the bike up from scratch:

https://www.pinkbike.com/video/492773/
    I got this part to adjust my travel. When I unscrew the collar, there is no secondary ring to remove like on your video. It appears to be in the tube itself. What am I missing? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yarbrough462 View Post
    I got this part to adjust my travel. When I unscrew the collar, there is no secondary ring to remove like on your video. It appears to be in the tube itself. What am I missing? Thanks!
    Is it possible you have the older Drop Line post and not the newer Line post?

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Not sure...It's a 2018.

mtbr member
    Then you most likely have the older Drop Line post. It uses different parts.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Then you most likely have the older Drop Line post. It uses different parts.
    I think you are right. The collar looks different on mine. Are there any options for this one? I need to drop it about 10mm...If not, What post does everyone recommend that has a lower insertion?

mtbr member
    The Drop Line has similar travel reducers available, but you would have to get the part numbers and instructions from Trek.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    My custom 2019 Trek Remedy 9.9:

12.9kg / 28.3 lbs

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Just ordered some SE5 tires, we'll see how they do!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    @foxy87 that's looking stunning! Hope you have loads of fun with it. Mine still delivers the goods after ~1 yr. 😊

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Yes thanks it looks great! Even better in person.
    Just had my first ride 40k and its a grat allrounder, very efficient and the rearend is crazy good while pedaling and filtering all the small pumps. At really high speed it gets a little unstable but its a great allroundbike!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Anyone seen the Miami green remedy in the flesh ?

How does it look ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I still need to get the suspension setup dialed in, but man this thing rips!!

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    ShockWiz made that process pretty quick for me, highly recommend it. It used to take me a month to get my settings right.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Picked up my new 2019 Remedy 9.8 in miami Green Friday . Took it out for my first ride yesterday , at my local trail , which is a mix of climbs and downhill enduro type runs , not much in betweens .

Was a bit nervous selecting the color, I had trouble deciding , I liked the idea of doing something different with the miami green , the shop told me , in their chain of stores every 9.8 had been sold in the grey . When they told me , there are only 6 in australia in 19.5 in the green , not sure if they are getting more in, I thought stuff it just do it . So I did , have to say , it looks very Yeti like out in the sun and had plenty of compliments from other riders .

I come directly off a 2017 9.8 as a comparison , both bikes stock with little upgrades on the old.

Was surprised at the extent of the different feel ,it was more than I was expecting, the new bike feels bigger , burlier , beefed up and stiffer .

Without doubt a better descender , what did surprise me though , with all the talk of it being a great climber , I think the older bike surprisingly is a tad lighter , and with less slack angles and the stock 150mm pike , feels more nimble on the climbs, particularly over obstacles on the climbs .

But the new one , undoubtely feels more beast like going down ,eats up rough spots that I may have found more difficult on the old , will ride again today .

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Looking good in grey, especially with the fork adding a splash of colour.
    Nice choice!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Hey Silverfern. So you pushed the button on the MY19!

I've seen the green once and it does look eye-catching. It'd be good hearing from you on the differences as I'd not expect them to be that drastic. If you're now running 160mm f and a Lyrik it'll be much more composed downhill.
    And carbon rims will track more directly too.

I hope it ticks all the boxes.
    Post some pictures too so we can drool! 😎

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Hey Silverfern. So you pushed the button on the MY19!

I've seen the green once and it does look eye-catching. It'd be good hearing from you on the differences as I'd not expect them to be that drastic. If you're now running 160mm f and a Lyrik it'll be much more composed downhill.
    And carbon rims will track more directly too.

I hope it ticks all the boxes.
    Post some pictures too so we can drool! 😎
    Yeah I did , I suspect the upgrades in suspension and wheels have a fair bit to do with the improvement,

Would be interesting to swap it all over and see how it feels , but I’m not up for that little experiment

In your case , with an upgraded shock and wheel set already , the new lyric would finish it off nicely I would imagine. In my case , mine was still stock standard , so I weighed up doing upgrades or getting the new one , $1000 bucks off with the bupa health insurance sealed the deal.

Now to sell the old one , let me know if you know anyone interested ,19.5 , it’s in perfect nick.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

How you going with the suspension , what do you weigh ?

Be interested to make comparisons , im 2 rides in , 85 kilos

Cheers

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I can see why the MY19 was so appealing then, and it's a sweet looking ride.

Will definitely give you a nod if someone is after something like it. Much as I'm not a fan of FB there are some decent pages to sell mtb kit, just try to screen the dreamers and timewasters...
    Last edited by JonJones; 11-11-2018 at 04:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You guys, this is the best bike ever:

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Got the suspension dialled then? 😊 They're a sweet looking rig, especially in the new solid colours.

It'd be good to know how much better the suspension and climbing may well be due to the changes. They seem minor but it can lead to significantly different ride.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Got the suspension dialled then? 😊 They're a sweet looking rig, especially in the new solid colours.

It'd be good to know how much better the suspension and climbing may well be due to the changes. They seem minor but it can lead to significantly different ride.
    I've had 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019 Remedys now. The change this year feels about as significant as from 2016-2017, when they upped the travel by 10mm... Maybe more significant honestly. It's a big change.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Yeah mine feels different , but im only 2 rides in and havent been able to put my finger on exactly why yet , how much is due to spec change etc .

something interesting with the shock , the old used to fit 3 standard volume spacers , I had all 3 in with reduced air pressure , tired a few different options but felt that had the best feel for me .

The new only fits 2 and mine came with 2 in it , I havent been able to find any info online why the change , and its too early to know whether I want more . But have ordered the Gnar dog token just in case , which will give me the option of 2.5 or 3.5 if I want that .

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Yeah mine feels different , but im only 2 rides in and havent been able to put my finger on exactly why yet , how much is due to spec change etc .
    I'm a couple hundred miles in and still can't nail it down exactly. Suspension is more supple, particularly in the top of its stroke, which is probably due to the new Debonair springs on both ends. Otherwise it just generally feels stiffer, which makes sense given all the changes to the linkage... They don't advertise that as much but it's my favorite upgrade on paper; a few things that used to be threaded directly into the frame are now thru-bolts.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Don’t want to repeat myself , I mentioned it in an earlier post ,first impression mine feels more planted and stiffer .

One other thing , I have a system of getting my seat in a comfy position in relation to the bars , with same measurements, where I measure from the stem back to the front of the seat , and from the pedal to the seat and hope that puts me in a ok position to pedal , kind of the opposite to a pro bike fitter who gets your seat in position first in relation to the pedals , then adjusts your stem accordingly.

With both bike seats in same position, I notice there is more front quad muscle working in peddling , which could be the new seat tube angle in action .

I think with the older one I was probably a bit further behind the pedals , the newer one I feel like I’m a bit more on top if that makes sense

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    With the shock , does it only take 2 Volume spacers ?

Opened it up , and it has 2 in it already , doesnt appear to be room for more .

The 2017 shock took 3

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Silverfern, I see your MY17 got snapped up? Well done and I trust it was at decent terms.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Silverfern, I see your MY17 got snapped up? Well done and I trust it was at decent terms.
    Yeah , sold 3 days after I listed it , only had the one enquiry , but that guy was pretty keen and didn’t bargain , so was pretty happy

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    You only need one decent bite. Good work!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    How easy to swap to a different stem on the 19’s?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Pretty much the same as any other bike .

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by photocycler View Post
    How easy to swap to a different stem on the 19’s?
    The same as 2017 and 2018. You're going to need a Knock Block stem to fit in with the key on the spacers / headset cap.

Or you can purchase the stem spacer locking from Bontrager if you want to use a non Knock Block specific stem.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    The same as 2017 and 2018. You're going to need a Knock Block stem to fit in with the key on the spacers / headset cap.

Or you can purchase the stem spacer locking from Bontrager if you want to use a non Knock Block specific stem.
    Bloody hell ,

Im running a Race face Atlas Stem 31.8 so i can use my favourite bars , rode my 2017 Remedy like that for a year ,

Knew nothing about it

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Yep, there's definitely a selection of ways around it. It's a PITA if you want to run something other than Bontrager kit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Apologies to photocycler by the way , he knew what was going on obviously,

ok ,just so im clear ,

what are the consequences if i continue to ride like that , knockblock doesnt work properly ?

The bar and stem seem to fit ok handling wise ,

Im just not a fan of the stock bar , just doesnt feel right for me

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Lockring spacer in stock and ordered , easy fix ,

Can’t believe I never knew about that , just assumed knock block was still in action ,

Oh well , live and learn

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    All good @silverfern
    Glad you got it sorted out. I found the stock bars a little uncomfortable to use too. It's the sweep ° that just felt a little off. Personal preference as ever.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    All good @silverfern
    Glad you got it sorted out. I found the stock bars a little uncomfortable to use too. It's the sweep ° that just felt a little off. Personal preference as ever.
    Bike mechanic in the trek store told me the sweep on those bars is a common complaint, so you are not alone

I’m a big fan of deity carbon dc31s , they just put my hands in the sweet spot and feel so nice , seem to cut out so much vibration

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Pinkbike field test is up.

https://youtu.be/LjKTQ9RKdaM

It's pretty accurate from what I know of the MY17. The climbing is ok, not great but suspension tuning will solve that (or at least it did for me).

I'd imagine the steeper STA the MY19 has will help improve that.
    Last edited by JonJones; 12-08-2018 at 05:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Pinkbike review was 100% SPOT ON what I feel about my bike, except I have no problem with the knockblock

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I think when they say the climbing is great, they are making a direct comparison to other bikes with similar numbers in slackness and travel .

Not the more cross country orientated bikes .

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    2019 Remedy?-4bc60d7b-db5a-482c-9a61-c0d468db1457.jpg2019 Remedy?-9ba4577f-9421-4783-9416-a707ee819e2c.jpg2019 Remedy?-09759e21-8d4f-4894-8d5c-06d05d801891.jpg

My 9.8 in Miami green

NRP
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Looks hawt!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    100% would ride. Nice choice Silverfern!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    getting it dialed in now ,

Suspension is the major improvement for me , not just the obvious improvement with the fork , I was expecting that ,

The shock is very different as well , with the old shock I was running 3 tokens to get a nice plush feel,but I was still bottoming out a fair bit on 30 percent sag with the 3 tokens and im only 85kgs . The new one was far too progressive with 2 tokens , felt nice at the beginning of the stroke , but really hard at the top of the stroke .wasnt using enough of the travel . Gone back to one token , feels better , used about 90 percent of the travel on the bigger hits , and still nice and sensitive on the small bumps . May even try and see how it goes on none.

Certainly feels like a more beefed up shock than the one that came on the 2017 model , better suited to bigger and or more aggressive riders.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Remedy came out looking pretty good here ( assuming not a lot of diff performance wise between 9.9 and 9.8 )

Especially here in Aus , where the Bronson and Yeti are more expensive bikes .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIeFiFGocAg

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Any one make use of the wolftooth b-rad system on their remedy? Looking for what people are using them for. A bit of inspiration if you like.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I do, got the Mini.

Holds 1 maxalami tubeless repairtool, one sparetube (tubolito),2 tirelevers and one CO2 16g cartridge
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019 Remedy?-ab96d8b3-39c7-4bb9-92bc-b532e62e9fac.jpg  

mtbr member
    How are people liking the SE4 2.6? They look pretty interesting for our super loose desert conditions...

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    After watching the Pinkbike review and wrap up, I wonder how the non-thru shaft versions of rear suspension work. Is it ditching the full floater that makes the rear end sit up higher in the suspension or is it the thru shaft?

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Here's my 9.8

2019 Remedy?-ktyoynlfol09q5envbrznvsq-dipvpul_59ootft4uc-2048x1536.jpg

Pinkbike review was pretty accurate in my opinion (based on very limited mileage at this point)...cool to see two out of three guys picked it over the rest of the field. Knockblock isn't an issue for me though. I actually like it.

The only issue I'm having is the rear brake cable hitting the spokes. Only fix I could come up with was to zip tie it to the rear triangle, which is kind of lame. They should've put a little clip on the inside of the triangle to secure it.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by MrIcky View Post
    After watching the Pinkbike review and wrap up, I wonder how the non-thru shaft versions of rear suspension work. Is it ditching the full floater that makes the rear end sit up higher in the suspension or is it the thru shaft?
    I have the 8, so no thru-shaft, and I don't think I'd say it sits higher in its travel. It's definitely stiffer in the back end in general, but it actually feels more supple higher in its travel - which I'm guessing is the Debonair spring on the Deluxe.

Quote Originally Posted by murlsquirl View Post
    The only issue I'm having is the rear brake cable hitting the spokes. Only fix I could come up with was to zip tie it to the rear triangle, which is kind of lame. They should've put a little clip on the inside of the triangle to secure it.
    Can you post a pic of that specifically? Something has to be routed wrong, or maybe just too much slack pulled to the back of the bike, there's no way you should be having that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast