Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112
Results 1,101 to 1,163 of 1163
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnD View Post
    does the bontrager dropper act up after you wash the bike , or just after muddy riding ? thx
    No issues with mine after seven months of weekly low pressure rinses.
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    does the bontrager dropper act up after you wash the bike , or just after muddy riding ? thx
    Muddy riding. Not too long of a job to strip down, clean and re-grease, however cleaning out the seal is difficult as i don't think it can be removed from the post, so your only option to try and get some paper towel in under it. Just annoying as mine is needing a full strip and re-grease after every 1-2 muddy rides and is not running that smoothly anymore

JJ!
    mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by michael.c View Post
    Thanks for that - was planning on replacing the crappy bontrager unit with one of these (maybe in the 170mm and shimmed down slightly). Can you please keep us posted with how it handles wet/muddy riding? I thought the bontrager one was good initially, but my first 6 months were riding in an Australian summer, so very little mud to speak of. The moment it got wet, i began to see all the issues others have reported with the seals.
    No problems so far - been through 3 Bontrager ones now which all had different issues. The reviews on Trek website were mostly bad! Although its been pulled now. The new one is realeased soon. New design with shims too I think.

The onone has all bee good so far! Its fairly senstive to seat clamp pressure, although at 7nm mine is fine. Remote is nice, lots of adjustment and sits in a really nice place.

It comes up and down with a nice quality noise - not too fast and not too slow! Easy to add air pressure too. Its been through some wet and mud and still working. They recommend greasing which is pretty easy. Got to make sure the collar is done up tight too. Hardly any sideways movement too. See if pics work - new FSA top cap too, just because my old one had a bit of a knackered bolt!

Moved the dropper post wire over to the other side - for some reason mine was running in the left hand side - much cleaner now.

IMG_3487 - Copy by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

IMG_3488 - Copy by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

IMG_3490 - Copy by Justin Akehurst, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Has anyone upgraded their Fox Rhythm to a Performance or Factory? just wondering if it a night a day difference or just mild, trying to justify the price of the upgrade.

p.s. Does anyone know why my pictures always post upside down lol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2018 Fuel EX Official Post-fuel.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by FullyAutoMattic View Post
    Has anyone upgraded their Fox Rhythm to a Performance or Factory? just wondering if it a night a day difference or just mild, trying to justify the price of the upgrade.

p.s. Does anyone know why my pictures always post upside down lol
    Upgraded from the 130mm rhythm to a 140mm fox 36 with Grip2 and I'd say pretty close to night and day. Depends on how hard you're pushing it, but it's super composed through the rough and way more supportive through the mid stroke. This may be partially down to the adjustable high/low speed compression with the Grip2. I'm thankful for it when I'm trying to keep up with my mates on Nomads, Hightower LTs and Reigns. Only issue is it makes the DPS Float feel inadequate.

Just Ride!

Dialing things in

So I went on the first long ride with my Fuel EX this last weekend at 28 miles. The ride was a long out and back which contains a 2 mile section of path riding before hitting the singletrack. On my return leg I notice that I had a very cramped up feeling in the top tube area that I had never really noticed before on shorter rides. This got me curious, so I measured the tip of the saddle to the center of the bars and compared the EX numbers to my hardtail. I was shocked to find how cramped up I have actually been riding this thing.

Now most of you are probably going to say, "duh, didn't you get a bike fit?" Well, actually no! I went off of both manufacturers geo specs and figured they were pretty close. I have now come to realize that when you add up a .5 degree slack seat angle, offset seatpost, and 10mm longer stem on the hardtail, it makes a huge difference. To the tune of almost 45mm.

So here is the big question; this being my first full suspension bike. How will an offset dropper post effect the suspension performance? My thought is to get a 25mm offset dropper and a 20mm longer stem to dial in what my beloved hardtail has.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2018 Fuel EX Official Post-image1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kustomz View Post
    So I went on the first long ride with my Fuel EX this last weekend at 28 miles. The ride was a long out and back which contains a 2 mile section of path riding before hitting the singletrack. On my return leg I notice that I had a very cramped up feeling in the top tube area that I had never really noticed before on shorter rides. This got me curious, so I measured the tip of the saddle to the center of the bars and compared the EX numbers to my hardtail. I was shocked to find how cramped up I have actually been riding this thing.

Now most of you are probably going to say, "duh, didn't you get a bike fit?" Well, actually no! I went off of both manufacturers geo specs and figured they were pretty close. I have now come to realize that when you add up a .5 degree slack seat angle, offset seatpost, and 10mm longer stem on the hardtail, it makes a huge difference. To the tune of almost 45mm.

So here is the big question; this being my first full suspension bike. How will an offset dropper post effect the suspension performance? My thought is to get a 25mm offset dropper and a 20mm longer stem to dial in what my beloved hardtail has.
    I would ride it the way it is for a while and see what your thoughts are then when you adjust. I think the offset post would make seated climbing difficult...and a stem that long would destroy the handling. Itís not a hard tail, donít try to make it into your current bike, because this one is built to handle, not for seated pedaling efficiency. If you really need those kind of adjustments, you need a bigger frame.

JJ!
    mtbr member
    Jan 2015

What frame size is that? Looks pretty cramped! Iím sure I donít look that cramped on my 18.5!

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ! View Post
    What frame size is that?
    ..and how tall are you?

Did your Trek dealer fit you when you were buying or did you go in and tell them the size you wanted.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Agree with above. Ride it more. Get used to it and then see what needs to change. Agree with the fact that those changes might make it worse for the reasons stated above.

On the flip side, you do look uncomfortable on that picture. You may have bought a frame size too small.

But yeah. Ride more and see. If you have money to spare you can get those changes and if they don't work just go back to current setup

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    The charts are usually pretty accurate but what they don't get right are the handlebar width. That picture above. Man you have a wide ape index. You can increase reach substantially with a 780 to 800 mm Bar. The race face next R is a pretty comfortable one. The other thing you can do is play with stem length. The fuel has a more cramped feeling than a cross-country bike but that's what helped gives it a very playful Trail easy to control manner. In your case it looks like you just need a little bit more reach which The Wider handlebar will help with and you can also kick that stem out as the bike works pretty well up to a 70 mm stem. They usually come stock with a 50 or 60. If you are right on the edge of a height chart and you like a larger bike and especially with what appears to be a positive ape index you can size up but in the meantime you can get the bike you have to fit a lot better by doing the above

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Second that seated climbing will suffer w a setback post. If you do go that way, may also want to find some real short cranks. I notice it in my legs on my reg post w the seat rails positioned so itís far back. Also second very wide bars, maybe bump stem length 10 mm.

mtbr member
    What's your height and inseam ?

Just Ride!
    I am 6ft with a 35.5" cycling inseam. As you can see I am all arms and legs riding a 19.5 that came with a 50mm stem.

mtbr member
    Frame size is right. Try an 800mm bar. If you need more go 60mm stem. Knock block line pro stems are like 20 used on Ebay. Next R is my favorite 800mm bar for a good feel. 135 shipped from chain reaction. You just need more reach

It's very common to have to change stems and bars to hone in fit on a new bike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by racebum View Post
    The charts are usually pretty accurate but what they don't get right are the handlebar width. That picture above. Man you have a wide ape index. You can increase reach substantially with a 780 to 800 mm Bar. The race face next R is a pretty comfortable one. The other thing you can do is play with stem length. The fuel has a more cramped feeling than a cross-country bike but that's what helped gives it a very playful Trail easy to control manner. In your case it looks like you just need a little bit more reach which The Wider handlebar will help with and you can also kick that stem out as the bike works pretty well up to a 70 mm stem. They usually come stock with a 50 or 60. If you are right on the edge of a height chart and you like a larger bike and especially with what appears to be a positive ape index you can size up but in the meantime you can get the bike you have to fit a lot better by doing the above
    I agree with the above. The Fuel runs short in the reach department. If on the line between two sizes most fitters will recommend going up. Assuming you can't swap up a size, I would go with the wider bar first, but you can go up to a 70mm stem without messing up the handling.
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by veloborealis View Post
    I agree with the above. The Fuel runs short in the reach department. If on the line between two sizes most fitters will recommend going up. Assuming you can't swap up a size, I would go with the wider bar first, but you can go up to a 70mm stem without messing up the handling.
    Another agreement with the above.

And Mr. Old School chiming here to note that the FEX even rides beautifully with -- gasp! -- an 80 mm stem.
    Whining is not a strategy.

JJ!
    mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I am 6ft with a 35.5" cycling inseam. As you can see I am all arms and legs riding a 19.5 that came with a 50mm stem.
    Blimey, from the pic I thought you were going to say 16.5 or something!!

Hmm... then again, maybe I look cramped, never really seen a pic!

Im 5ft 11 31/32" inseam on an 18.5 with shorter than stock 50mm Stem and 760mm bars - well more like 770mm as the grips I have add 5mm each end.

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ! View Post
    Blimey, from the pic I thought you were going to say 16.5 or something!!

Hmm... then again, maybe I look cramped, never really seen a pic!

Im 5ft 11 31/32" inseam on an 18.5 with shorter than stock 50mm Stem and 760mm bars - well more like 770mm as the grips I have add 5mm each end.
    1'm a half inch shorter with same inseam and same size frame and stem but I'm rocking 820mm bars, I like wide bars !!

Just Ride!
    Thanks to all for the opinion and insight. I think I'll start with a wider bar and slightly longer stem.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2018 Fuel EX Official Post-fitmentpost.jpg  

JJ!
    mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Thanks to all for the opinion and insight. I think I'll start with a wider bar and slightly longer stem.
    I would go bars first and go from there. Also you can probably fit a longer dropper post too!

mtbr member
    That's a lot of seat post sticking out below the collar, you could go up a size without any issues. Depends on how upright you want to sit.

Just Ride!
    Probably not, it took nearly 7 years to get this bike, so I certainly can't afford to trade up any time soon. I figured maybe I could do some trading in the MTB community or wrangling with the dealer to get this thing set up better. Suppose I'll just ride the hardtail until I find the right combination. Thanks again everyone.

JJ!
    mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Probably not, it took nearly 7 years to get this bike, so I certainly can't afford to trade up any time soon. I figured maybe I could do some trading in the MTB community or wrangling with the dealer to get this thing set up better. Suppose I'll just ride the hardtail until I find the right combination. Thanks again everyone.
    I have some 780mm bars if you want to try them? They are Bontrager ones with 27.5 rise. Few odd light marks but nothing major.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    So I just picked up a new 2018 Fuel EX with Shimano XT 2x...I love it! One question/issue so far. The front derailleur has 3 click postions, but I only have 2 front chainrings. My old (2014) XT shifter had a switch to remove the 3rd click, but I can't find it on the M8000 shifters.

Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    It's probably a trim spot for when you're cross-chained. On road bikes, it's usually for big-big cross-chaining. Not sure about the Shimano mtb shifter - it could be small-small.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Sticky stiction with ReAktiv shock -

Iím getting a knotchy, I think stiction from the rear shock, when it changes direction. Anyone else got this? I just did the air sleeve servicing, and it seemed in fine shape. Is there something else I should be doing or getting done? Itís pretty annoying to ride with. Thereís no looseness in the wheel or suspension at all.

mtbr member
    New to the thread here. Just picked up a clean used 2018 FEX 9.8 in a 19.5 size. I'm 5'9ish" w/ a 32" inseam. I could only find a 19.5 frame to throw a leg over.

It sure seemed to "feel" like a good fit, but after reading some of the earlier posts, I'm now wondering if I should have got an 18.5. I haven't been able to get it out for a real ride yet.

mtbr member
    Probably. but it's a little late to be second-guessing it unless it feels just too big the next best thing is to hone the fit. I'm 5'10 with a 33" cycling inseam and ride an 18.5 with 760mm bars and a 50mm stem. In your case the very first thing I would do is get a 40mm stem. Try that. See how it feels.

I have found that if I am riding a bike a little bit too big where I really notice it is if I start jumping or doing really tight technical rocks. It's just a lot harder to throw the big bike around. If you can get that bike to feel good doing slow speed Rock maneuvers and tight switchbacks along with jumps you're probably good to go

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
    New to the thread here. Just picked up a clean used 2018 FEX 9.8 in a 19.5 size. I'm 5'9ish" w/ a 32" inseam. I could only find a 19.5 frame to throw a leg over.

It sure seemed to "feel" like a good fit, but after reading some of the earlier posts, I'm now wondering if I should have got an 18.5. I haven't been able to get it out for a real ride yet.
    I would say the 19.5 is right. It's not a long bike, relatively speaking, in terms of reach. I always size up on Trek bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I'm 6'1" , 32 inseam, ride a 19.5"

mtbr member
    just goes to show there's a fairly wide range of rider heights that will "fit" on a given size, and a lot of it is personal preference, eg., whether you want the bike to a little more stable or a little more nimble. I'm 6' 1" and feel cramped on a 19.5. I prefer a longer reach, and also the longer wheelbase of the 21.5. Some of that is because the longer WB is more stable DH, and the longer reach more comfortable, and makes it easier to get centered on the bike. The stack height is also a big factor for me. It's just way too low for me on the 19.5.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    On 18.5 at 5-11+, short arms long torso. Note there is very little difference between the 18.5/19.5, just 1/2Ē longer top tube/wb. Same stack. 18.5 fits ok, main issue for me is stack though. I use all spacers, 60 mm stem, riser bars, angled so grips are high/forward. This works fine, may give me more of a ďplayfulĒ ride, but my ideal size would prob be the 19.5 w 40 mm stem and higher stack.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Being a hair under 5'9" with 32" inseam I occasionally think I should have gone with 19.5" instead of 18.5", mostly to be able to move the saddle a bit forward for better weight distribution on techy climbs. Then again, the 18.5" feels fantastic on tight terrain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JackieTreehorn8 View Post
    On 18.5 at 5-11+, short arms long torso. Note there is very little difference between the 18.5/19.5, just 1/2Ē longer top tube/wb. Same stack. 18.5 fits ok, main issue for me is stack though. I use all spacers, 60 mm stem, riser bars, angled so grips are high/forward. This works fine, may give me more of a ďplayfulĒ ride, but my ideal size would prob be the 19.5 w 40 mm stem and higher stack.
    Same here. 5'11 short legs (30" inseam). 18.5 is pretty good. on a 19.5 the 150 mm dropper was too long. Guess they could have swapped droppers for a price. But , I felt like I was looking down at the ground on the 19.5 , the 18.5 sat more upright. Which I like.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the above input! I had no a clue a full on Trek Store had moved into an old bike shop location downtown about a year ago. Went there and did the high tech fitting they use and the system recommended an 18.5. They had one in stock as well as a 19.5. I could feel the 18.5 was a little shorter in the TT and WB and a slightly smaller bike overall.

But, the 19.5 didn't feel dramatically more stretched out. Going back and forth a few times, it was really hard to pick between the two! Aaaaah!!! I sort of liked the feel of a slighter longer bike beneath me, and Racebum had a good suggestion of going with a shorter stem...

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    So I have an EX 8 and was feeling to keep the sag i wanted on my fork i had to run more air pressure on my Rhythm than i wanted. Opened up to see how many volume spacers i had and it seems the bike comes with zero, anyone else find this?

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I am picking up a new ex7 29 from the trek store in a couple days. I have read that a lot of people lengthen the fork to 140. Most of the info was for the fox fork on the ex8. I think the ex7 comes with a Reba. Is it worth making it to 140 I know it is a 32mm leg fork. I converted my 100mm bluto to 120mm on my last bike so I think I could figure out how to do it. Just not sure if it would feel loopy. I am 170lbs and not really a bike jump guy other than natural ones on the trail

Phil
    Jul 2010
    Can Cane Creek headset bearings be used in a 9.7/9.8/9.9 Fuel Ex rather than the FSA ones? Seems to me like they should work fine, but wanted to see if anyone else had done this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phil
    Jul 2010
    Iím building a Fuel EX 9.9 frame. Can someone tell me the part number on the adapter to run 180mm rear disc. I want to make sure I get the right one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by asuprice View Post
    Iím building a Fuel EX 9.9 frame. Can someone tell me the part number on the adapter to run 180mm rear disc. I want to make sure I get the right one.

Sm-ma-f180p/p2

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    A question to riders of 17.5Ē bikes, how tall are you and whatís your inside leg measurement? trying to work out if thatís the size to go for, Iím just under 5í7Ē and 29Ē inside leg. Cheers

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    17.5" frame
    5'7" tall
    32" inseam

Bike feel great. Trek puts me smack dab between sizes 17.5 & 18.5. Two different shops said i could go either way.

For me I feel like the smaller frame might be more playful than sizing up.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunns View Post
    17.5" frame
    5'7" tall
    32" inseam

Bike feel great. Trek puts me smack dab between sizes 17.5 & 18.5. Two different shops said i could go either way.

For me I feel like the smaller frame might be more playful than sizing up.
    Thanks for the quick reply. Iíve been riding a medium Stumpjumper with a 430mm seat tube and had the 125mm dropper nearly slammed against the top of the seat tube so donít want to go with a seat tube any longer than that so thinking that rules out the 18.5Ē frame which appears to have a 440mm seat post.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by trancemanUK View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply. Iíve been riding a medium Stumpjumper with a 430mm seat tube and had the 125mm dropper nearly slammed against the top of the seat tube so donít want to go with a seat tube any longer than that so thinking that rules out the 18.5Ē frame which appears to have a 440mm seat post.
    I am your exact same height and inseam. The 17.5 fits me perfect. I wouldn't want to be on a bigger bike. When I fall off of steep sections (happens...) I wouldn't want to try to get started again on a bike with a taller standover. The reach feels perfect too.

Phil
    Jul 2010

2018 Fuel EX Official Post

Finished my 9.9 build today. Running a Fox 36 at 140mm. 125mm dropper (short inseam) on an 18.5. Could only get 2 cables zip tied up mid downtube. Anyone have a good suggestion to get them all?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by asuprice View Post
    Finished my 9.9 build today. Running a Fox 36 at 140mm. 125mm dropper (short inseam) on an 18.5. Could only get 2 cables zip tied up mid downtube. Anyone have a good suggestion to get them all?

That thing is sick , congrats !!

-C-
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I used the J bend end of a spoke to hook the cables with a zip tie in there too. it's a pain in the ass & i'm fairly sure i've only got 2 of the 3 in there, but the 3rd is quiet, so i'm not bothered.

Currently in the process of refreshing my '18 9.9 EX, as said before, I cracked my '17 frame doing stupid things it wasn't really intended for, now have a big 160mm 29er for racing enduro & DH again so have put my Fuel back to a true trail spec. It's sitting pretty at 26lbs dead currently with a little bit more scope to save some weight without compromising the bike.

Biggest issue is the Re:Active Thru-Shaft Fox shock. It's absolute junk compared to the Push 11-6 I was running before. So, wanting to swap it out for something a bit better. Don't want to run a coil as I have one on the big bike & this is meant to be a light weight trail bike again now. Anyone tried a Super Delux RCT on one? Never been very impressed with the DPX2 so not really considering that as an option.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by -C- View Post
    Anyone tried a Super Delux RCT on one? Never been very impressed with the DPX2 so not really considering that as an option.
    I was impressed with the DPX2 compared to the Reaktive -- though it does give up a bit of pedaling efficiency -- and think you would be too.

But my Slash came with the RS Deluxe RT3 and it's even better.

And I've never before met an RS rear shock that I liked at all.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Can you elaborate on why the RS was better? I was pretty close to buying the DPX2 for my EX9 until I saw your post!
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    I was impressed with the DPX2 compared to the Reaktive -- though it does give up a bit of pedaling efficiency -- and think you would be too.

But my Slash came with the RS Deluxe RT3 and it's even better.

And I've never before met an RS rear shock that I liked at all.
    Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    What didn't you like on the DPX2? I've heard great things about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by -C- View Post
    I used the J bend end of a spoke to hook the cables with a zip tie in there too. it's a pain in the ass & i'm fairly sure i've only got 2 of the 3 in there, but the 3rd is quiet, so i'm not bothered.

Currently in the process of refreshing my '18 9.9 EX, as said before, I cracked my '17 frame doing stupid things it wasn't really intended for, now have a big 160mm 29er for racing enduro & DH again so have put my Fuel back to a true trail spec. It's sitting pretty at 26lbs dead currently with a little bit more scope to save some weight without compromising the bike.

Biggest issue is the Re:Active Thru-Shaft Fox shock. It's absolute junk compared to the Push 11-6 I was running before. So, wanting to swap it out for something a bit better. Don't want to run a coil as I have one on the big bike & this is meant to be a light weight trail bike again now. Anyone tried a Super Delux RCT on one? Never been very impressed with the DPX2 so not really considering that as an option.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tabbibus View Post
    Can you elaborate on why the RS was better? I was pretty close to buying the DPX2 for my EX9 until I saw your post!
    I was perhaps a bit unclear. To me, the RS Reaktiv on my Slash is noticeably smoother than the stock Fox Reaktiv on my FEX. Feels like less compression damping and the "reaktivness" is less noticeable.

The DPX2 on my FEX seems a bit firmer than the RS on the Slash, even with the LS compression as low as it goes. But it IS smoother than the stock Fox Reaktiv on the FEX.

Apples to oranges, I realize, because the FEX and Slash are very different bikes. Also, I'm just a fast rider on rugged trails. Never really sending it off drops, in which case the DPX2 might be better than the RS!

Sorry, maybe even more confusing! TLDR: For rugged riding with the FEX, either the DPX2 or RS would be an upgrade IMO. Easier by a bit to swap volume reducers with the FOX, IMO.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Actually very helpful. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    I was perhaps a bit unclear. To me, the RS Reaktiv on my Slash is noticeably smoother than the stock Fox Reaktiv on my FEX. Feels like less compression damping and the "reaktivness" is less noticeable.

The DPX2 on my FEX seems a bit firmer than the RS on the Slash, even with the LS compression as low as it goes. But it IS smoother than the stock Fox Reaktiv on the FEX.

Apples to oranges, I realize, because the FEX and Slash are very different bikes. Also, I'm just a fast rider on rugged trails. Never really sending it off drops, in which case the DPX2 might be better than the RS!

Sorry, maybe even more confusing! TLDR: For rugged riding with the FEX, either the DPX2 or RS would be an upgrade IMO. Easier by a bit to swap volume reducers with the FOX, IMO.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I've been debating upgrading my '17 ex8 18.5" frame to a '18 9.8 19.5" frame. I get along fine with the 18.5". I'm 5'11" ~33-34" inseam, +4" ape index (no exaggeration) and short torso. In a way it kind of works with the 18.5" but obviously always felt the 19.5" would be more appropriate.

Not sure if it's worth the $1600-1800 a better fit + carbon front triangle. I can afford it... My parts all swap over with minimal headache. The fuel EX has been perfect for my riding. I could spring for a GG smash or some other frame but I really dont feel like putting more time sourcing different parts, figuring out if my fork will fit, or spending more money. thoughts?

-C-
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tabbibus View Post
    What didn't you like on the DPX2? I've heard great things about it.

Just not been a fan of it (or the Re:Active on my 9.9). The difficulty being I came of a Push 11-6 on my '17 Fuel & I have a DHX2 on my Raaw so any air shock isn't going to feel great in comparison...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gfourth View Post
    I've been debating upgrading my '17 ex8 18.5" frame to a '18 9.8 19.5" frame. I get along fine with the 18.5". I'm 5'11" ~33-34" inseam, +4" ape index (no exaggeration) and short torso. In a way it kind of works with the 18.5" but obviously always felt the 19.5" would be more appropriate.

Not sure if it's worth the $1600-1800 a better fit + carbon front triangle. I can afford it... My parts all swap over with minimal headache. The fuel EX has been perfect for my riding. I could spring for a GG smash or some other frame but I really dont feel like putting more time sourcing different parts, figuring out if my fork will fit, or spending more money. thoughts?
    Carbon worth it? Meh. Better fit, maybe. But sounds like you're basically OK on the smaller frame. That kind of an investment sure would buy a nice, new, light set of wheels, though. If you are still running stock, that is.
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by veloborealis View Post
    Carbon worth it? Meh. Better fit, maybe. But sounds like you're basically OK on the smaller frame. That kind of an investment sure would buy a nice, new, light set of wheels, though. If you are still running stock, that is.
    Yeah I already have a set of wide carbon rims... I'll ride the 18.5" some more. Probably fine just keeping it the way it is

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

2018 Fuel EX9.9

Pulled the trigger on a 2019 P1 EX9.9 so my 2018 is up for sale. Hit me up if youíre interested!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    anyone have luck putting a 170mm One-up dropper on a 18.5" EX8? I have like 3-4" of post sticking out on the stock 125mm reverb and feel like I need more than a 150mm dropper.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by gfourth View Post
    anyone have luck putting a 170mm One-up dropper on a 18.5" EX8? I have like 3-4" of post sticking out on the stock 125mm reverb and feel like I need more than a 150mm dropper.
    I considered it and have some apprx numbers for you. Warning, I did not check my math! But to cut to chase, I bet if your inseam is >31-32Ē youíll be ok. And it probably is. But I think: 1) at max insert into a 18.5 youíll have about 30 mm of that post showing. 2) The full extension stack on that 170 is only 20 mm higher than a Reverb 125, so youíll still have 2 or 3Ē of post showing on 170. So it will fit.
    I have 31Ē inseam on KS Lev 150 with like 35 mm post showing. I used to have like 50 mm showing on Reverb 125.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by oclvframe View Post
    Pulled the trigger on a 2019 P1 EX9.9 so my 2018 is up for sale. Hit me up if youíre interested!
    congrats ! what size is the one you are trying to sell ?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    congrats ! what size is the one you are trying to sell ?

-r

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JackieTreehorn8 View Post
    I considered it and have some apprx numbers for you. Warning, I did not check my math! But to cut to chase, I bet if your inseam is >31-32Ē youíll be ok. And it probably is. But I think: 1) at max insert into a 18.5 youíll have about 30 mm of that post showing. 2) The full extension stack on that 170 is only 20 mm higher than a Reverb 125, so youíll still have 2 or 3Ē of post showing on 170. So it will fit.
    I have 31Ē inseam on KS Lev 150 with like 35 mm post showing. I used to have like 50 mm showing on Reverb 125.
    Yeah thanks for the ballpark measurements. Helpful to know that the 170 is only 20mm higher than the 125 reverb. I think my cycling inseam is at least 33". I was just in the garage and I took some rough measurements to verify and it seems like the 170 should work for me. Worse case scenario I have to buy the shims.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112