2017 Trek Fuel EX 29er- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2016

2017 Trek Fuel EX 29er

I am looking at getting a 2017 Fuel EX 29er. I am not going to give any leading questions. If you have one (or rode one) just tell me what you think and what type of trails you ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My only experience is shop demo, checking out an associate's with plus wheels, and checking out a prototype last year. I think it's a great bike. I have not had all the time I've had on other models to decide if I like the chain stay length for overall riding. The 29 model and prototype were beer can material, and the plus wheel model was plastic.

Maybe I'd have chosen it over the Remedy if that were an option when I bought an early 2016 Remedy. I like all the Trek bikes with the Reactiv shock and XR or SE 3,4 and 5 tires. I can't say that about saddles that came on my Treks but butts do vary - not their fault.

The trails I ride very a lot, and that's why I like the Remedy and Fuel EX models.

mtbr member
    I own the 2017 Fuel EX 9, and I think it is great. It does EVERYTHING better than the bike I am coming from (2015 Specialized Camber 29)... even climbing and the control I have in technical situations. Go with it if you want an all-round bike. There is an official 2017 thread for this bike... don't listen to haters of this new bike. They don't like change and it's all opinion based. The carbon frame does seem to have a lower BB than the alu which is the end of the world for some, but it really isn't that big of a deal... just some adjustment.

Here's mine:

It is a size 21.5 and it's amazing!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger View Post
    My only experience is shop demo, checking out an associate's with plus wheels, and checking out a prototype last year. I think it's a great bike. I have not had all the time I've had on other models to decide if I like the chain stay length for overall riding. The 29 model and prototype were beer can material, and the plus wheel model was plastic.

Maybe I'd have chosen it over the Remedy if that were an option when I bought an early 2016 Remedy. I like all the Trek bikes with the Reactiv shock and XR or SE 3,4 and 5 tires. I can't say that about saddles that came on my Treks but butts do vary - not their fault.

The trails I ride very a lot, and that's why I like the Remedy and Fuel EX models.
    Update: I rode 2017 EX 8 29r today. This bike is like our Remedy 29 compared to recent year Fuel EX bikes. It's a really great bike but so much like the Remedy with 1x that I would be considering 2016 Remedy 8 with GX too. So, to be fair remember it's 2x and not the bike that stood out as less than ideal to me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger View Post
    Update: I rode 2017 EX 8 29r today. This bike is like our Remedy 29 compared to recent year Fuel EX bikes. It's a really great bike but so much like the Remedy with 1x that I would be considering 2016 Remedy 8 with GX too. So, to be fair remember it's 2x and not the bike that stood out as less than ideal to me.
    the 2017 Fuel basically replaced the Remedy to a point. It's very close in Geo now to the older ones.
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Just got my Trek Fuel EX 7 and took it out on its first ride today. I'm coming off a hardtail 29er and I test rode several bikes on the trails near my home before making a purchase. The 17' Fuel ex7 29er 18.5 is awesome! It climbs great I climbed in all 3 modes and obviously the open bobed a bit but it still climbed well in trail mode it was awesome barely any bobbing. Then once at the top coming down was so much fun this bike took everything the trail threw at it. I would highly recommend this bike for anyone that wants to ride any trail up to maybe a downhill park. This bike far exceeds my ability for now!

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by justinnardella View Post
    I own the 2017 Fuel EX 9, and I think it is great. It does EVERYTHING better than the bike I am coming from (2015 Specialized Camber 29)... even climbing and the control I have in technical situations. Go with it if you want an all-round bike. There is an official 2017 thread for this bike... don't listen to haters of this new bike. They don't like change and it's all opinion based. The carbon frame does seem to have a lower BB than the alu which is the end of the world for some, but it really isn't that big of a deal... just some adjustment.

Here's mine:

It is a size 21.5 and it's amazing!
    What's your height weight if I may ask. I'm 6' 1 and 170lbs. Test rode fuel ex 8 29er 19.5 "parking lot" was wondering if you tried any others? Need to check out the larger frames. Do want to be able to throw this puppy around too without feeling clumsy

mtbr member

2017 Trek Fuel EX 29er

Quote Originally Posted by MakwaChief View Post
    What's your height weight if I may ask. I'm 6' 1 and 170lbs. Test rode fuel ex 8 29er 19.5 "parking lot" was wondering if you tried any others? Need to check out the larger frames. Do want to be able to throw this puppy around too without feeling clumsy
    I'm actually 6' and I'm on the 21.5 frame. I'm, therefore, below the recommended height of the rider for the frame size. BUT I went with this frame size because of the considerable jump in reach from the 19.5 (which I like long reach). I have long arms and a short torso, and I would like to put a slightly shorter stem on the bike than the stock 60mm. The increase in seat tube length from the 19.5 was not an issue for me as I have a long inseam. This frame size just works for me in spite of my height. And no I don't find it clumsy feeling. I actually think it feels better than my old Camber when on tight switchbacks; the bike is just snappy in general. Also bike interestingly came with a 150mm drop Reverb. I believe Trek lists a 125mm Drop Line, so I had assumed they would spec a 125mm Reverb, but I was pleasantly surprised.

On another note, I haven't noticed ANY unexpected pedal strikes when riding and I live in the rocky terrain of New England. Oh and I ride the bike with the Mino Link in LOW mode now, and I really like the bike in low. It's all technique

If you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I'm 6'1 and got the 21.5. Compared to a Top fuel 19.5 which felt about the same, with a longer stem. The EX to me initially felt cramped and upright compared with my old bike setup for racing, so I went with the 21.5.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016

Cool-blue Rhythm

I'm 5'11 and purchased the 19.5. The 2017 Fuel EX 9 is awesome. My only complaint is that on very steep hills, the setup does not have similar gearing to my last bike. My plan to fix this is to keep working at it until my skill and power can tackle those steep spots. My last bike was a hard tail trek, old school with 3 rings on the front and no disc brakes.

2017 Trek Fuel EX 29er-img_20160903_151909.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by MooseTender View Post
    My last bike was a hard tail trek, old school with 3 rings on the front and no disc brakes.
    Thats one hell of an upgrade haha welcome to 2016 where bikes from Aldi (supermarket chain in australia) sells bikes with disc brakes for $399 AUD

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    After much debate about 29 or 27.5+ I ended up with a 9.8 29er. Coming from a very old 26er the 29's make a huger difference. Also compared to 26 x 2.0 the 29 2.4's on this bike are very wide. Don't know if I would need to get the 27.5+ wheels. Even riding some really dry loose over hard the 29 x 2.4 is not lacking any traction. I may get a set of 27.5+ wheels one day or just get a full on fat bike. For me the 29er is a perfect setup. The plus size would be more of a fun factor.

Another deciding factor for me was I considered the 29er design to be proven. With 27.5+ and Trek it seems like they are still working out some issues and it will get better in a year or two.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Geocyclist View Post

Another deciding factor for me was I considered the 29er design to be proven. With 27.5+ and Trek it seems like they are still working out some issues and it will get better in a year or two.
    What issues are those?
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I would like a bike that could run both 29 and 27.5+. But should the 27.5+ have a different geometry to accomodate the bottom bracket height? What size width will industry settle on for 27.5+ tires? I would want to make sure my bike would fit it. I know none of this will ever completely be settled, there will be continuous improvements. I am not saying the Trek bike is bad. I think this platform is not fully mature industry wide and I would give it another year of two.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by LinkyPinky87 View Post
    Thats one hell of an upgrade haha welcome to 2016 where bikes from Aldi (supermarket chain in australia) sells bikes with disc brakes for $399 AUD
    Very true, and it is an awesome upgrade. This is my old Trek, keeping it for now.

2017 Trek Fuel EX 29er-img_20160704_110043.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by justinnardella View Post
    I'm actually 6' and I'm on the 21.5 frame. I'm, therefore, below the recommended height of the rider for the frame size. BUT I went with this frame size because of the considerable jump in reach from the 19.5 (which I like long reach). I have long arms and a short torso, and I would like to put a slightly shorter stem on the bike than the stock 60mm. The increase in seat tube length from the 19.5 was not an issue for me as I have a long inseam. This frame size just works for me in spite of my height. And no I don't find it clumsy feeling. I actually think it feels better than my old Camber when on tight switchbacks; the bike is just snappy in general. Also bike interestingly came with a 150mm drop Reverb. I believe Trek lists a 125mm Drop Line, so I had assumed they would spec a 125mm Reverb, but I was pleasantly surprised.

On another note, I haven't noticed ANY unexpected pedal strikes when riding and I live in the rocky terrain of New England. Oh and I ride the bike with the Mino Link in LOW mode now, and I really like the bike in low. It's all technique

If you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix2 View Post
    I'm 6'1 and got the 21.5. Compared to a Top fuel 19.5 which felt about the same, with a longer stem. The EX to me initially felt cramped and upright compared with my old bike setup for racing, so I went with the 21.5.
    Interesting... I'm 6'1", 34" true inseam, and the Fuel EX 19.5 feels perfect to me.

And as for the pedal strikes, I've gotten better at avoiding them, but they're still an issue. I've got the plastic 27.5+ model, which seems to have the lowest BB. Considering building a 29" wheelset for the bike for many reasons, but most of all to raise that BB a bit.