2017 Top Fuel any sneak peeks or info?- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2012

2017 Top Fuel any sneak peeks or info?

I'm wondering what Trek is going to do to the Top Fuel for 2017? I'm thinking we might see a 120mm Trek Top Fuel-EX.

Hopefully they don't make an abortion out of the bike like they did with the Fuel-EX 29 and 27.5+ bikes frames. Any interest I had in the Fuel-Ex is now gone with the geo changes.

I was told we should know in the next 8-10 days but was wondering if anyone has any inside info?

mtbr member
    I don't know Treks, but is this what you're looking for? They told me this bike would be announced on Monday.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I was told by a trek rep at a demo a week ago that they Fuel and Remedy were changing, but that the Top Fuel was staying the same frame-wise since it was new in 2016. Betting they put that Eagle nonsense on the 9.9 and change the colors, but that's about it.

Edit: He did confirm that anything with a SID on it would have the new Charger damper. No surprise there, but I was happy to hear it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    What's the benefit of the Charger damper?

I'm wondering if they have developed a Reaktiv shock for the Top Fuel?

Considering the Top Fuel9.8 and the new revamped Scott Spark as my next bike and first 29er.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I'm not sure about the impact of the charger damper. I was waiting to see if they put the Re-Activ shock on the bike along with the new Sram eagle 1x12 drivetrain. I was told by a Trek shop that the Top Fuel wouldn't be getting the Re-active shock as it was designed for bikes with more travel. I would like a Top Fuel with a 120 mm fork up front. I was also told this is likely to happen.
    They said they would know something this week or early next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Astrochimp View Post
    What's the benefit of the Charger damper?

I'm wondering if they have developed a Reaktiv shock for the Top Fuel?

Considering the Top Fuel9.8 and the new revamped Scott Spark as my next bike and first 29er.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    The Top fuel is very unlikely to get the RA-Activ shock as it is designed to be run in an open setting for max benefit. The current top fuels have the RS hydro lockout front and rear. Also the new SiD's are 100mm max, so if there is a 120mm option it will likely be a fox 32 fit 120mm.

FAT CHANCE!
    I have no problem seeing the new 2017 Top Fuels equipped with Fox....Shocks and Forks. I have to say that I was surprised at how well the SID performed on the 2016 9.8 top fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by bear the bear View Post
    The Top fuel is very unlikely to get the RA-Activ shock as it is designed to be run in an open setting for max benefit. The current top fuels have the RS hydro lockout front and rear. Also the new SiD's are 100mm max, so if there is a 120mm option it will likely be a fox 32 fit 120mm.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Saw the new Treks on the trail this morning (and I believe one was the top fuel) - Remedy and Fuel EX 29/B+ compatible. Looked nice - was told the official release tomorrow... the Remedy was 27.5 and thought i heard that is the only wheel moving fwd on that bike.. I rode away thinking I should have asked about the shock and if still using the penske technology - but didn't. I don't see a trek in my future, but they did pass the eyeball test

western NC
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRed390 View Post
    but that the Top Fuel was staying the same frame-wise since it was new in 2016.
    Well, the Fuel EX 29er was completely redesigned for 2016, but they dropped it for the new design so I wouldn't count on it.

mtbr member
    Hope they do something, the new rocky element is kind of what im looking for. Lbs said the 100mm xc bike might be dead
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    You guys know you can change the parts on your bikes right??

If the frame is the same as last year, and if you don't want to wait..
    Why not put sram 1x12 eagle on it then? And sell the current driveline?
    Or put on a 120mm fork? (or even adjust the current forks height if possible?)

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The project one website has been updated with new paint schemes and the customization available for both 9.9 and 9.8 TopFuel.

Project One | Trek Bikes

They are shown with a Re:Activ shock.....

mtbr member
    Looks like they updated the US Website.

New Top Fuel 9.9 SL Race Shop Limited with Fox Step Cast Fork, RE:aktiv XC Shock, and Eagle XX1 drivetrain.

Top Fuel 9.8SL gets Fox Step Cast Fork, RE:aktiv XC Shock, and Kovee Carbon wheels.

Top Fuel 9.8 Women model available.

Top Fuel | Trek Bikes
    Current bikes:
    2018 Trek Top Fuel 9.8 SL
    2018 Trek Farley 7
    2015 Framed Alaskan Carbon
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Carbon Sram X1 cranks on the 2017 9.8SL models?! WTF?!

Name:  X1 Carbon Crank.jpg
Views: 13029
Size:  43.7 KB
    Last edited by jas76; 06-30-2016 at 08:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Be interested in closer shots of the lockout... Website is still showing the RS lockout when it will be fox both front and rear. I imagine it will be a cable lockout. How the level works if you want to run a dropper will also be interesting.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Looks cable and Trek site says 2 position lockout.

2017 Top Fuel     any sneak peeks or info?-fox-lockout.jpg2017 Top Fuel     any sneak peeks or info?-fox-lockout2.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    TOP FUEL 9.9 RACE SHOP LIMITED is on treks site now. Looks like it has a RE:aktiv rear shock, Fox Factory 32 step cast fork, xx1 eagle and Level Ultimate brakes. Pretty sweet setup, but I wouldn't trust the fox cable lock out unless they have fixed it this year.

FAT CHANCE!
    awesome thanks for the post!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by quicksilverta View Post
    TOP FUEL 9.9 RACE SHOP LIMITED is on treks site now. Looks like it has a RE:aktiv rear shock, Fox Factory 32 step cast fork, xx1 eagle and Level Ultimate brakes. Pretty sweet setup, but I wouldn't trust the fox cable lock out unless they have fixed it this year.
    What needed to be fixed on Fox cable lock out?

Taking another closer look at the bike on the Trek site I see a dual remote for shock and fork with two (thought it was three at first as with stock fox suspension - losing anything with only two?) suspension settings and carbon rims. Nice.
    Last edited by Astrochimp; 07-01-2016 at 08:47 AM. Reason: cuz

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    2x11
    remote lockout
    dropper
    brakes

All that clutter lol

... guess if you are using it as an XC bike you wouldn't have a dropper
    And if running 2x you'd have Di2 shifting?

A-X
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    My Procaliber suffers a similar cabling issue with 1x11 but also a dropper. It came with the fork lockout remove which I would have removed if the lockout wasn't set to be locked by default on the fork and spring loaded to stay in that position.

Eventually I will probably change the fork and lose the remote but for now it's ok, just a bit cluttered. At least control freak keeps it all hidden away into the frame otherwise I would be going mad by now.
    Bird Aeris : Remedy 9.9 29er : Procaliber 9.8 SL

mtbr member
    ^ what fork? Perhaps you can get the parts to change the fork to the non-remote setup.

A-X
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    SID RL with the remote. I'm sure the internals can be swapped out for crown adjustment.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The RCT3 damper has a cap lockout. And it actually gives you small bump compliance because it uses a metal shim stack for the compression circuit. Doesn't load up on fast downhills either.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    After that seeing a new bike buzz wore off I wondered the benefit of removing the middle "trail" mode on the fork. I get not needing it for the Reaktiv shock if it pedals well while open and/or absorbs hits while closed, but the fork seems like it might be losing something.

Project One can be upgraded to the Factory shock and fork with all three setttings available, but that adds some coin.

Still liking this bike. I'm told by Denver shop they may see them in August.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    If anyone is looking for a large Trek Top Fuel 8 with some upgrades I have one for sale on MTBR. Bought new this spring.

http://forums.mtbr.com/classifieds/2...n-1016600.html

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I will have my 2017 Top Fuel 9.8SL in hand tomorrow AM from my LBS - I will post back after a week of riding in VT next week ))))

FAT CHANCE!
    Sweet! Take pictures too! Enjoy

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by HopHeadEVENTS View Post
    I will have my 2017 Top Fuel 9.8SL in hand tomorrow AM from my LBS - I will post back after a week of riding in VT next week ))))
    Cool. Looking forward to hearing about the bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Anyone know when the 2017 Procaliber Race Shop Limited will be ready to order and receive?

mtbr member
    Top Fuels are looking good.
    Wish they didn't come with SRAM brakes though
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by brent701 View Post
    Top Fuels are looking good.
    Wish they didn't come with SRAM brakes though
    New Guides are well worth it to check out. Much improved in every way compared to old Avid.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chader09 View Post
    New Guides are well worth it to check out. Much improved in every way compared to old Avid.
    I stick to my XT or XTR's
    After mine 1 month old Guide R's failing due to the heat here in AZ and verified with a brand new Salsa Fat tire bike that didn't make it one day outside the shop. I won't run SRAM anymore. It's not worth the risk to need to use my brakes on a DH segment and they not work to end up locking up and the wheels won't turn

My procal came with XTR and I would still take the XT M8000's over them due to the tool-less adjustment for the lever
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Interesting. We haven't seen similar issues here with lots of bikes in circulation, but we don't have your consistent heat either.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    2017 Top Fuel     any sneak peeks or info?-image.jpg2017 Top Fuel     any sneak peeks or info?-image.jpg

Received a topfuel rsl frame. Will get back to you with the build. I switched over from a 2013 Superfly 100 SL. The parts are a mix. It will be an XT drivetrain with a cheapie rear wheel and a non-boost front end for now. Will explain later why this bike is so incredible. Wow!! Will be about 24ish is my guess.

Parts are on order and steerer and such still need to be cut as well a stem flip. Its a very different frame than the sl. Not even comparable

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by baltistyle View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	2407 
Size:	209.3 KB 
ID:	1081897Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	12216 
Size:	334.7 KB 
ID:	1081898

Received a topfuel rsl frame. Will get back to you with the build. I switched over from a 2013 Superfly 100 SL. The parts are a mix. It will be an XT drivetrain with a cheapie rear wheel and a non-boost front end for now. Will explain later why this bike is so incredible. Wow!! Will be about 24ish is my guess.

Parts are on order and steerer and such still need to be cut as well a stem flip. Its a very different frame than the sl. Not even comparable

Nice frame. Did you get that from a warranty claim? I've got a 2013 SF 100 SL that I'm trying to sell. Would so love to be on a Top Fuel instead.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    So here is the quick story and there is probably record of me saying the same before. I have ridden trek since I purchased my first real bike. Im a fanboy Ive ridden trek Oclv full suss bikes since 96.

I recently had an issue with my 13 superfly 100 elite sl. I upgraded to this frame as there as still sl frames available for warranty. Please don't expect that this is a free experience. So you are correct in that this frame was procured as part of a warranty claim.

Trek always comes through and thats why I keep riding their awesome bikes.

I clearly have not ridden yet. That will come tomorrow with old part before the new parts get here. In just taking a first look at the frame, it is very apparent that the molding process has tighter tolerances than ever before. All of the parts are extremely tight fitting. It is very impressive. The frameset comes with a two position remote reactive shock. I recently added '16 factory fit 4 remote to my '13 fit fork. Unfortunately two remotes are needed..AFAIK..lmk, although the independent nature is a good option. It also comes with a nice carbon fsa headset.

I needed a rear boost wheel and a boost crank and some parts and was on a budget so I just did a mustang elite wheel (not bad in weight) and xt parts. I, as stated above kept the old upgraded fork and wheel.

Im excited as I still have a '10 carbon fuel ex and absolutely loved the full floater. Its a fantastic design.

If you have been on the fence, jump over and order because these bikes will be backordered this year. And seriously, that womens 9.8, is that the best value ever? Seriously!

More to come.

Gary

And Im Located in MD. Thanks to the regional rep and Bicycle Connection in Cockeysville Md. Im a tough cookie and this went very well!

mtbr member
    I stick to my XT or XTR's
    After mine 1 month old Guide R's failing due to the heat here in AZ and verified with a brand new Salsa Fat tire bike that didn't make it one day outside the shop. I won't run SRAM anymore. It's not worth the risk to need to use my brakes on a DH segment and they not work to end up locking up and the wheels won't turn

My procal came with XTR and I would still take the XT M8000's over them due to the tool-less adjustment for the lever
    A guy i bike with has them with the new centerlines. Still turkey gobble like the old avids. Shimano brakes will be going on all my bikes for a while yet

mtbr member
    By the looks of it, very very small changes for 2017. when would the big changes be? 2-3 more years? My farley was only 2 year old design and they did big changes on me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post
    By the looks of it, very very small changes for 2017. when would the big changes be? 2-3 more years? My farley was only 2 year old design and they did big changes on me.
    The bike frame is only 1 year old.
    The main changes were components. They added a Fox rear shock over last years Rockshox unless you bought a frame only. hell from 5200 you can get carbon rims, Fox stepcast fork 1x11. thats a nice deal.
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    correct, reactive and or fox is new this year. The lifecycles tend to be three model years....unless a problem occurs that involves lots of warranties and then there will be a slight adjustment, usually.

FAT CHANCE!
    I was hoping to see a Eagle SRAM (X01) set up on the 9.8 Top Fuel for some of the vertical climbing I do. Maybe that will be the upgrade they do for the 2018 top fuel 9.8.

I do like the new carbon Wheels (has anyone used these wheels?) but I don't know anything about these SRAM brakes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roy harley View Post
    I was hoping to see a Eagle SRAM (X01) set up on the 9.8 Top Fuel for some of the vertical climbing I do. Maybe that will be the upgrade they do for the 2018 top fuel 9.8.

I do like the new carbon Wheels (has anyone used these wheels?) but I don't know anything about these SRAM brakes

Sell the SRAM brakes.

I hear the wheels are ok but not the strongest
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by roy harley View Post

You could buy the 2017 bike, sell whats on it and put the eagle on if thats what you want?
    Or go a P1/frame only build?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LinkyPinky87 View Post
    You could buy the 2017 bike, sell whats on it and put the eagle on if thats what you want?
    Or go a P1/frame only build?
    Can't P1 frame only on MTB yet, only road bikes
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    [QUOTE=baltistyle;12730161]
    I recently had an issue with my 13 superfly 100 elite sl.

Have you had chance to ride the bike already. I am kinda in the same situation- replacing Superfly 100 sl from 2011 - pretty nice bike with carbon Roval wheels and wonder if this Top Fuel design is much nicer then the inline shock design on the Superfly 100?
    Also how about the shorter chainstay, does it help with steering?
    Overall , how would you compare this new top fuel with your old Superfly 100?
    I am looking at the Top Fuel 9.8 with possibility to pay up for the Kovee XXX wheelset.
    Also considering perhaps give a try to Fuel EX 9.8... but never had a trail bike with this much travel (always done XC races and endurance events) and not sure if Fuel EX would be ideal bike for riding around east coast courses? BTW not far from you... NoVa

FAT CHANCE!
    The Project 1 MTB are very limited in what you can do to them online at TREK. I think I would have to buy the bike I want (9.8) and ride it around and change out parts from there.

FAT CHANCE!
    Maybe go with a Fuel EX 9.8 build and make it a 1X and add carbon wheels that might be a better bike than the top fuel 9.8

Formerly of Kent
    [QUOTE=Ride_2_Fast;12750252]
    I recently had an issue with my 13 superfly 100 elite sl.

Have you had chance to ride the bike already. I am kinda in the same situation- replacing Superfly 100 sl from 2011 - pretty nice bike with carbon Roval wheels and wonder if this Top Fuel design is much nicer then the inline shock design on the Superfly 100?
    Also how about the shorter chainstay, does it help with steering?
    Overall , how would you compare this new top fuel with your old Superfly 100?
    I am looking at the Top Fuel 9.8 with possibility to pay up for the Kovee XXX wheelset.
    Also considering perhaps give a try to Fuel EX 9.8... but never had a trail bike with this much travel (always done XC races and endurance events) and not sure if Fuel EX would be ideal bike for riding around east coast courses? BTW not far from you... NoVa
    The 2016 EX 9.8/9.9 would be great for what you describe.

The 2017 is no longer a good candidate for an endurance race bike.

FWIW, I live in western VA during the school year, and I'd go with a Top Fuel with a 120mm fork around here (VA, NC, WV).

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You can push a TF a little more towards trail with a Boost 120mm fork and a 29+ tire and 40-45mm wide rim wheel. The rear won't take anything that wide.
    The Manitou Magnum Pro 120mm is one.
    Last edited by eb1888; 07-28-2016 at 06:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Hi again,

After riding the bike about a half a dozen times, I can confidently say that I am happy with my choice. This bike is absolutely better than my 2013 SF 100sl. The full floater is such a superior design than the inline shock. As mentioned before, I have this on a '10 ex9.9 frame. The frame is stiffer as well as more reactive off the line. The reactive shock is great but does not lock out....not sure about this and am waiting on info since it does not exist. It does get stiffer and rides very well. Also, since you will be going to boost, the wheels are noticeably stiffer.

The full floater takes away the ramped up feeling of SF rear. Just like the articles mention, it really feels like more travel than it is. Be aware for those that mention extending travel on this bike, have written permission before doing any mods to the geometry so as not to kill the best warranty in the biz.

I would absolutely recommend going through Trek for their wheels as well since the upgrade is cheap and they will really stand behind the product.

As far as the option between the EX and the TF, I have no opinion. they are built for different types of riding and that depends on you.

Absolutely go order this bike

Gary

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Anyone have a picture of the lockout system?
    I am assuming it is a cable system, but is both front and rear?

Thx

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Hi again,

After riding the bike about a half a dozen times, I can confidently say that I am happy with my choice. This bike is absolutely better than my 2013 SF 100sl. The full floater is such a superior design than the inline shock. As mentioned before, I have this on a '10 ex9.9 frame. The frame is stiffer as well as more reactive off the line. The reactive shock is great but does not lock out....not sure about this and am waiting on info since it does not exist. It does get stiffer and rides very well. Also, since you will be going to boost, the wheels are noticeably stiffer.

The full floater takes away the ramped up feeling of SF rear. Just like the articles mention, it really feels like more travel than it is. Be aware for those that mention extending travel on this bike, have written permission before doing any mods to the geometry so as not to kill the best warranty in the biz.

I would absolutely recommend going through Trek for their wheels as well since the upgrade is cheap and they will really stand behind the product.

As far as the option between the EX and the TF, I have no opinion. they are built for different types of riding and that depends on you.

Absolutely go order this bike

Gary
    Thanks Gary. Is the remote lockout attached to the shock but the lockout setting does not make that unit fully rigid ala a hardtail, the way my old rp23 becomes more or less without movement? I tend to ride pavement to trails or do long climbs out of boulder on pavement and would want a bike that imitates a hardtail, as well as a fs can.

I may wait for newly designed Spark cuz twinlock system does become very rigid, but not sure when those bikes will be in my LBS nor the prices at this point.

Thanks, tim

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    To the issue on extending front travel on a TF: Our Trek rep was rocking the TF with a 120mm fork and loving it. He rode the hell out of the bike and didn't make any claims that it was prohibited for others to do.

And based on info from other models, Trek tests most of their bikes with a 10-20mm extension beyond what is spec'd.

mtbr member
    To the issue on extending front travel on a TF: Our Trek rep was rocking the TF with a 120mm fork and loving it. He rode the hell out of the bike and didn't make any claims that it was prohibited for others to do.

And based on info from other models, Trek tests most of their bikes with a 10-20mm extension beyond what is spec'd.

True on that.. Called Trek to verify but, With the Fox Stepcast fork.
    You can't extend that past 100mm per Fox. so those that get a bike with that and was thinking of upping the travel. Not with the Stepcast
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    True on that.. Called Trek to verify but, With the Fox Stepcast fork.
    You can't extend that past 100mm per Fox. so those that get a bike with that and was thinking of upping the travel. Not with the Stepcast
    Interesting, I didn't know that about that fork. That means a new fork for those inclined to go longer. which sucks a bit.

I love my 2016 Fuel EX 9.8 29, but I am not thrilled with the changes to the 2017 version. It is too much trail and not enough XC for my needs.

If I swap out in the near future, it will probably be for a TF. But I would like a longer fork to more closely match the capability of my FEX. Just takes a bigger investment, but it could be offset by selling the stock fork.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    So here is the quick story and there is probably record of me saying the same before. I have ridden trek since I purchased my first real bike. Im a fanboy Ive ridden trek Oclv full suss bikes since 96.

I recently had an issue with my 13 superfly 100 elite sl. I upgraded to this frame as there as still sl frames available for warranty. Please don't expect that this is a free experience. So you are correct in that this frame was procured as part of a warranty claim.

Trek always comes through and thats why I keep riding their awesome bikes.

I clearly have not ridden yet. That will come tomorrow with old part before the new parts get here. In just taking a first look at the frame, it is very apparent that the molding process has tighter tolerances than ever before. All of the parts are extremely tight fitting. It is very impressive. The frameset comes with a two position remote reactive shock. I recently added '16 factory fit 4 remote to my '13 fit fork. Unfortunately two remotes are needed..AFAIK..lmk, although the independent nature is a good option. It also comes with a nice carbon fsa headset.

I needed a rear boost wheel and a boost crank and some parts and was on a budget so I just did a mustang elite wheel (not bad in weight) and xt parts. I, as stated above kept the old upgraded fork and wheel.

Im excited as I still have a '10 carbon fuel ex and absolutely loved the full floater. Its a fantastic design.

If you have been on the fence, jump over and order because these bikes will be backordered this year. And seriously, that womens 9.8, is that the best value ever? Seriously!

More to come.

Gary

And Im Located in MD. Thanks to the regional rep and Bicycle Connection in Cockeysville Md. Im a tough cookie and this went very well!
    What happened to your 13 superfly 100 elite sl? I have one, and you are not the first person I hear having to warranty the frame...

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    As far as the lockout system on the new reactive shocks go, it is a two position lever. Due to the fact that the sticker on the shock notated three positions, I checked with fox as to the proper operation of the rear shock only. Since I built up, it, as a two position lever did not sync with my front shock as its a fit4 factory three position damper. In stock form as bought from trek as a build, the lever controls both front and rear. It looks like a little left hand under the bar shifter pod. That is the only location for that remote.

Fox told me that this shock is able to have three positions if used with a three position remote. I do not know about if this works for the fork as well since I do not have and did not ask about that. I asked about the part number to make my three position remote work with both my front and rear simultaneously, although I like the independent nature of the two remotes....firm rear and open front. I hope that answers the question. If really needed I can photo the shock and lever but it doesn't work from my phone so It'll not be immediate.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    As far as my statement about getting permission in writing from trek about changing stock travel, I am saying this so that if there is a claim, it is in writing and you don't get screwed by a new warranty guy or the guy who gave you oral permission no longer works there. Ive warrantied a lot of stuff, and never lost...trust me. Yes The bikes are tested with different travel forks, does that mean they are always warranted for that, no. Trek makes appropriate frames for different styles of riding and those frames are warranted against that, not outside of the intended use.

Just my honest opinion of how not to lose....most likely they will put it in writing for no more than 15mm to 20mm extension.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Astrochimp View Post
    Thanks Gary. Is the remote lockout attached to the shock but the lockout setting does not make that unit fully rigid ala a hardtail, the way my old rp23 becomes more or less without movement? I tend to ride pavement to trails or do long climbs out of boulder on pavement and would want a bike that imitates a hardtail, as well as a fs can.

I may wait for newly designed Spark cuz twinlock system does become very rigid, but not sure when those bikes will be in my LBS nor the prices at this point.

Thanks, tim
    The remote is as described above. Two position.

The reactive acts differently depending on speed of impact. Thats what makes it so good. The bike as it is out of the box does not fully lock up the rear. (the theory is that if its a hard enough impacts, you want the give to roll over the obstacle). Many pros will say that you actually don't want a full lockout because you will lose momentum on anything but smooth surfaces. That being said, we all have seen the comparos between hardtails and softtails and know that the ultimate speed was mostly based on weight of the bike and not the rear suspension.

This bike as well as all ABP/full floater rear suss bikes are very efficient pedalers. Try and find a demo or rental in your area and set up the sag properly.

Gary

mtbr member
    As far as my statement about getting permission in writing from trek about changing stock travel, I am saying this so that if there is a claim, it is in writing and you don't get screwed by a new warranty guy or the guy who gave you oral permission no longer works there. Ive warrantied a lot of stuff, and never lost...trust me. Yes The bikes are tested with different travel forks, does that mean they are always warranted for that, no. Trek makes appropriate frames for different styles of riding and those frames are warranted against that, not outside of the intended use.

Just my honest opinion of how not to lose....most likely they will put it in writing for no more than 15mm to 20mm extension.
    Nothing about permission in writing.
    I can't find anything in writing saying you can or cannot adjust the travel.
    Best thing to do is call Trek support not the LBS
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Nothing about permission in writing.
    I can't find anything in writing saying you can or cannot adjust the travel.
    Best thing to do is call Trek support not the LBS
    I have worked at bike shops and warranties have been denied due to extending travel. You can call, but I would email for a record. Adjustable travel is not new on forks. I like to think that my bike is designed around the components used and warranted for that reason. Trek does not specifically state out lots of things but this can be considered to be implied as a non stock part. Does it say whether I can do certain height drops on the TF? I can actually look at the owners manual and find the language if you want.

The reason my superfly 100sl was warranted was due to bearing surfaces, wear and wobble, an insufficient fix, my refusal to deal with the problem arising again and an unacceptable amount of time without my bike. With all of the fuss, and proper argument, and TREK and my bike shop being such a kick ass companies and long term bike industry people, I wound up with an incredible bike. Would I build this bike up with parts not stocked for the designed geo/s of the bike? Maybe, but first I would get in in an email from the person/s involved in the warranty process. I can not afford for a 3299+ frame to fail due to my own doings. I ride my bike alot and it has to last. I wear out my frames without additional stresses. The mino link changes the game a little in terms of angles so who knows, maybe TREK will put it in writing. As they have grown into a huge company warranty has become tougher.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I have it in writing from Trek that I can go up to 120mm on the front fork with no issues.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by excaliber View Post
    I have it in writing from Trek that I can go up to 120mm on the front fork with no issues.
    Yeap,
    Unless you have a Fox Stepcast fork
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    awesome, now, no worries. Aint trek great, haha

mtbr member

Yeap,
    Unless you have a Fox Stepcast fork
    Balls. Not expandable eh.

mtbr member
    How much "trail" riding can you do on a top fuel... Mount st anne looked gnarly. I would suspect most would say you need a fuel ex or remedy for that kind of riding... I think not. I use my spec diverge on the mtb trails here other than ones with rock gardens and logs.... I just keep wanting the fuel ex but i think it will be overkill...

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I just pulled the trigger on a 2017 TF 9.8. I am planning to replace my 2016 Fuel EX 9.8 since it came in heavier than I was hoping for when I got it.

I already have a 2016 Stumpy FSR 650b for my play bike. I want this for my short and endurance races. A short test ride of the 2016 TF model shows it to have much of the feel and ability of my FEX, but much lighter feel.

It will be interesting to see how much it sacrifices on regular trail use compared to the FEX, but I think the weight drop is well worth it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Does anyone have a picture or a link to show how the new dual lockout remote looks?

I can't seem to find a good pic of the one with the cable version for the new Fox shocks.

I'm trying to see what kind of dropper remote will work around it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I'm assuming it's the same as the one I saw on an Orbea Oiz a few months ago. It was kind of big. Had a 3-4" long metal "box" like a pack of gum where the 2 cables split. It was kind of hard to push for me. It did offer all 3 positions though, which was nice. My Top Fuel 9.8 has the hydro RS, which is an easy push, but no middle ground. Off or on. It's got to be the normal one, no?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Woah, could this be the new one? Wow, looks like a shifter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2017 Top Fuel     any sneak peeks or info?-2017-fox-2-position-remote-lever-mountain-bike-shocks.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    That 2nd one might be close. You can see some of the new one in this pic, but not great detail.
    Name:  2xREMOTE.JPG
Views: 5941
Size:  44.2 KB

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    In either event, I am guessing I need a side mount/action dropper lever with the remote lockout. I am expecting something like the original Specialized, KS and similar ones are needed instead of the newer under-bar versions.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    My bike should be in by the weekend. I'll take a pic when I can.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Man I wish I waited to buy my top fuel. One reason I went with the 2016 was the rockshox hydraulic remote was so much easier to use than the fox I used on the Orbea. I knew the 2017's were weeks away, but when the store sayd $4K instead of $5K, I jumped. Now I see the 2017 has Fox suspension, which I prefer, and carbon seatpost/rims/cranks. All things I want to upgrade next year. But, I wouldn't have gotten such a good deal on a 2017, and with the $200 price increase, I wouldn't have been able to afford it anyway. But still, this 2017 fox remote is nice looking.

mtbr member
    Out of everyone that has this bike. Do you actually use the lockouts?
    I was HUGE into using my lockout on my SS when climbing anything with my Reba RL

but after switching to a better fork. I never use it unless I am doing a LONG fire road. I used it on the Whiskey off road race 30 mile SS.

Most people I have talked to around here. Either modify the system to only lock the front or don't use the locks outs anymore at all
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    From my week old 2017 TF 9.8 SL.

I have used the lockout to see how it works a few times. I can see using it fire road climbs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2017 Top Fuel     any sneak peeks or info?-20160811_182303.jpg  

2017 Top Fuel     any sneak peeks or info?-20160811_182506.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbaElrod View Post
    From my week old 2017 TF 9.8 SL.

I have used the lockout to see how it works a few times. I can see using it fire road climbs.
    Huh? They wanted pics of the lockout not the shifter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Team: Feedback Sports Racing

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Here is the correct picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2017 Top Fuel     any sneak peeks or info?-20160811_232714.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Cool to see, thanks. How do you like the bike?

I'm guessing you press the large paddle to activate the stiffer mode, which extends the smaller paddle, then hit the small paddle to open the suspension?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by curtlo-dork View Post
    Man I wish I waited to buy my top fuel. One reason I went with the 2016 was the rockshox hydraulic remote was so much easier to use than the fox I used on the Orbea. I knew the 2017's were weeks away, but when the store sayd $4K instead of $5K, I jumped. Now I see the 2017 has Fox suspension, which I prefer, and carbon seatpost/rims/cranks. All things I want to upgrade next year. But, I wouldn't have gotten such a good deal on a 2017, and with the $200 price increase, I wouldn't have been able to afford it anyway. But still, this 2017 fox remote is nice looking.
    Yeah, that's always a bummer. Late season deals are great and you got a solid one at that price. It's always a small gamble when you don't know if the potential changes will be in your favor or not.

But they sure upgraded the 9.8 in ways I like. The Fox suspension and inclusion of Re:aktiv is something I like most. If it performs like a snapper version of my 2016 Fuel EX, I will be very happy.

Coupled with that is the cable actuated suspension remote that I like better than the RS hydro for maintenance.

All the new carbon is nice too as the bike appears to be lighter this year because of it.

I never used to be a Trek guy, but the way they have stepped up in the last few years, they have won me over (for road and MTB).
    Last edited by Chader09; 08-15-2016 at 02:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbaElrod View Post
    Here is the correct picture.
    That is horrible, was expecting the fox remote shown above. Will replace it with a DT Swiss 3 position remote.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    So the Fox Fork that is supposedly coming with my 2017 Trek TF 9.9 RSL model is a step cast and will be limited from what i'm gathering to 100mm. I'll have to report back how it feels with 100mm. Sucks that i would have to purchase new fox fork 2017 model but that is 3 position lockout. Would that interfere with the rear shock only being 2 position?
    2017 Trek Top Fuel 9.9 RSL.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Velocity35 View Post
    So the Fox Fork that is supposedly coming with my 2017 Trek TF 9.9 RSL model is a step cast and will be limited from what i'm gathering to 100mm. I'll have to report back how it feels with 100mm. Sucks that i would have to purchase new fox fork 2017 model but that is 3 position lockout. Would that interfere with the rear shock only being 2 position?
    When is ETA of delivery for the RSL 2017? Mid Sept?

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Delivery is at the end of this month according to what I saw on the computer at my local Trek Shop when I placed the order. 8/28 or around there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I ordered a 9.8 SL on Thursday and will check delivery date estimate tomorrow. Might well be different than the 9.9 for comparison.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I ordered a 9.8 SL on Thursday and will check delivery date estimate tomorrow. Might well be different than the 9.9 for comparison.
    Nice! sounds good. I ordered my bike on the 5th of this month. I'll call them on the 26th if I don't hear anything before then.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Anybody have firsthand knowledge whether the new 2.4" XR3 tire fits front or rear on the new TF (or ProCaliber, for that matter)?

As far as lockouts go, having them "ganged" together is a mixed blessing. I raced for a few years with remote lockouts, and finally settled on preferring fork only. The problem with that approach is that you can't just simply replace the rear shock's remote mechanism with a lever. It's actually a slightly different shock body (or at least it was two years ago).

It turns out that there are a LOT of situations where I prefer to ride with the rear firmed up, but the fork fully open......but maybe that's just me.
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Velocity35 View Post
    As I mentioned either in this thread or the other, the rear shock is a three position shock supplied with a two position remote. This is verified with fox to work with a three position remote for the middle setting. Trek assumed a racer only wants open and "closed". The question I laid out to new stepcast forks is whether they also are three position optional. The shifter as pictured, the plasticky looking shifter is what came on my RSL frame. I have yet to try three position by hooking it to my front fork (13 upgraded to 16 factory fit4 internals) which already has that remote.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Just picked her up. Will have to wait until tomorrow to get her dirty. From what I can tell so far, I'm going to love this bike!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A-X
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    Anybody have firsthand knowledge whether the new 2.4" XR3 tire fits front or rear on the new TF (or ProCaliber, for that matter)?

As far as lockouts go, having them "ganged" together is a mixed blessing. I raced for a few years with remote lockouts, and finally settled on preferring fork only. The problem with that approach is that you can't just simply replace the rear shock's remote mechanism with a lever. It's actually a slightly different shock body (or at least it was two years ago).

It turns out that there are a LOT of situations where I prefer to ride with the rear firmed up, but the fork fully open......but maybe that's just me.
    Can't imagine the 2.4 being an issue on the Procaliber. The 2.3 XR1 has plenty of clearance at both ends.

Curious to see what the new XR1 runs like compared to the old version for both grip and rolling resistance. Currently thinking of putting a set of Schwalbe Big Ones for road use and using my Rmemdy wheels for when I ride trails. The new XR1 would be a good compromise if it rolls a little better.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    anybody who has this bike get a stock weight on 2017 Top Fuel 9.8 SL? wondering how much/ if weight loss there will be with carbon cranks and carbon wheels.

thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    For my 2017 TF 9.8 SL after two rides, I switched to the XR3 2.3 on the front. Much better handling and worth the money.

The bike shop told me my 21.5 was 25 pounds before I added pedals.

I ordered my bike on Sunday and it came in on Thursday. The Trek warehouse was 2-3 shipping days away from my bike shop.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2017 Top Fuel     any sneak peeks or info?-img_0789.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    My 18.5" was 24 and change without pedals.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    My short list for new xc race bike includes the TF 9.8 and the as yet to be in shops and who knows how much it will cost revamped Scott Spark. Yeti ASRc is on it as well. It's a good list. Seems to include some quality options.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Any idea on how much that raises the stack?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    This picture by BubbaElrod of the Dual Remote lockout is correct.
    The remote lockout however is terrible... one need quite a force to push it, then it does not catch properly in the locked position.
    Long story short, my was delivered with broken lockout (broke the day I was accepting a new bike). The mechanic told me he was already requesting a replacement for 2 other bikes for this lockout!! is anyone in Fox testing these before they release it this is not coincidence !
    I hope the replacement if different style. This all plastic only part would probably brake again very soon...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    That is horrible, was expecting the fox remote shown above. Will replace it with a DT Swiss 3 position remote.
    Can you post a picture of the DT Swiss dual lockout and do you know is it fully compatible with the Fox one on 2017 TF 9.8 (picture by BubbaElrod).
    Also what other options there are ? From Fox? and other...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride_2_Fast View Post
    Can you post a picture of the DT Swiss dual lockout and do you know is it fully compatible with the Fox one on 2017 TF 9.8 (picture by BubbaElrod).
    Also what other options there are ? From Fox? and other...
    https://www.dtswiss.com/Accessories/...ver-suspension
    Pick your poison....should work as the lockout design isn't complicated.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Picking mine up after work today.
    First order of business is taking all the SRAM off and putting XTR and a fox dropper on.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    https://www.dtswiss.com/Accessories/...ver-suspension
    Pick your poison....should work as the lockout design isn't complicated.
    cool thanks ... found them in the meantime too... so it looks this could be way sturdier than the one from Fox and actually work as intended... I see them in European online stores for around fifty euro.. very reasonable...

Did anyone tested them with Fox stuff? The cable pull to lock may be vary... I am thinking...

And did anyone else have issues with the original Fox dual remote lockout on TF9.8?

mtbr member
    First order of business is taking all the SRAM off and putting XTR and a fox dropper on.
    Why didnt you order it with xtr?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Why didnt you order it with xtr?
    Cause I have one of the only 2017 9.8SL's bikes in the country (ex display from Trek World) with all Trek Australias next orders pre-sold till November...

Also because I have a XTR groupset sitting in the garage

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I thought of SRAM for 1x11 the better option than XTR. Everyone says how good SRAM is in 1x11...I have not had yet.. my first.. I am die hard 2by guy....
    With Shimano you missing the 10 tooth small cog, which I think is critical.
    Otherwise I would have to agree that XT or XTR would be preferred option for me if I was going with 2x10 or 2x11 stuff. Price, durability, reliability, everything....
    The XD driver by SRAM is something... what a lousy design... the rivets creaking like crazy on the cassete; whole cassette is attached on the body by about 6mm contact where the old design every cog was resting and supported by the hub body.... I guess you have to make sacrifices when "innovating" and want to use 11t cog.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    My bike has shipped and should be in the shop by Thursday afternoon. The only bummer is that I leave for a wedding on Thursday morning.

So I have to wait until I return on Saturday to build it. But I can hopefully ride it Sunday

A-X
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I thought of SRAM for 1x11 the better option than XTR. Everyone says how good SRAM is in 1x11...I have not had yet.. my first.. I am die hard 2by guy....
    With Shimano you missing the 10 tooth small cog, which I think is critical.
    Otherwise I would have to agree that XT or XTR would be preferred option for me if I was going with 2x10 or 2x11 stuff. Price, durability, reliability, everything....
    The XD driver by SRAM is something... what a lousy design... the rivets creaking like crazy on the cassete; whole cassette is attached on the body by about 6mm contact where the old design every cog was resting and supported by the hub body.... I guess you have to make sacrifices when "innovating" and want to use 11t cog.
    Fair play if you're spinning out an 11t cog on a regular basis to think a 10t cog is critical. If your legs are that strong then you can simply up the chainring size instead. Works for the Pro riders.

mtbr member
    I was on the fence about a fuel ex or a top fuel. I got into xc racing but want a fun bike as well so i was super set on a ex with xr1 tires.... Well i went to a spec demo yesterday and holy hell i hated the camber. Felt slow, lazy turning, the upright sitting was comfy but wasnt aggressive feeling at all. I got on the epic and i felt right at home! So looks like ill be ordering a top fuel. The geometry should be close enough im hoping.

The 9 for me in canada is $5000, i have an issue with the mustang wheels.. As the free hub ill destroy in no time. Looks like the 9.8 has kovees? Do they have pawls or a ratchet system?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by A-X View Post
    Fair play if you're spinning out an 11t cog on a regular basis to think a 10t cog is critical. If your legs are that strong then you can simply up the chainring size instead. Works for the Pro riders.
    I would say it does not work for anyone - even the pro riders.
    What they are doing is changing the front rings based on the venue. Going from 30-32-34 or 36 (Kulhavy) like everyone else.
    But they have the mechanics for that and only ride the bike for some 2 hours and also obviously are in top shape.
    If you prefer to keep just one setup without too much fussing around then you need the small cog - 10t for speed with reasonably small chainring that will help you get up steep and technical climbs as we have on east coast.
    One option would be the 12speed eagle, with 50t , but I am not ready for that one ... (just trying my first 1x11).
    Shimano XT is coming out with 11-46 cass. - that would work but is pretty heavy; no XTR option in this range (XTR on only 11-40)

A-X
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I would say it does not work for anyone - even the pro riders.
    What they are doing is changing the front rings based on the venue. Going from 30-32-34 or 36 (Kulhavy) like everyone else.
    But they have the mechanics for that and only ride the bike for some 2 hours and also obviously are in top shape.
    If you prefer to keep just one setup without too much fussing around then you need the small cog - 10t for speed with reasonably small chainring that will help you get up steep and technical climbs as we have on east coast.
    One option would be the 12speed eagle, with 50t , but I am not ready for that one ... (just trying my first 1x11).
    Shimano XT is coming out with 11-46 cass. - that would work but is pretty heavy; no XTR option in this range (XTR on only 11-40)
    Given the Top Fuel is an XC race bike I see very few scenarios where you would have the opportunity to spin out an 11t cog - that's say around 30mph or higher depending on your chainring size. As an XC racer you're not going to be missing a 10t cog and would prefer a better spread of gear ratios instead.

Away from racing then no doubt there will be situations where it would be good to have a 10t but these would be few. If there is enough gradient to make this possible then it almost be pointless pedalling anyway unless you were on road.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Might have to look into a new fork/shock remote if the Fox one is bad.

Scott has the TwinLoc, but I don't seem to find them available for regular purchase. Might take contacting a dealer. This seems like a good option since it is already working with Fox shocks.

The original Fox CTD seems to be available still. It is just really big, but has the 3 positions which may be good.

Rock Shox has the OneLoc, but who knows if it will work with the Fox shocks?

The DT one looks nice, but may not work either and I don't know how many positions is controls (2/3).

A-X
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Scott has the TwinLoc, but I don't seem to find them available for regular purchase. Might take contacting a dealer. This seems like a good option since it is already working with Fox shocks.

The original Fox CTD seems to be available still. It is just really big, but has the 3 positions which may be good.

The DT one looks nice, but may not work either and I don't know how many positions is controls (2/3).
    Use a front shifter if using single ring?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

The fox remote is rubbish, even on the short ride home last night I hated it. From the force it requires to lock I can see why they are breaking.
    The DT Swiss is available in 2 and 3 position lockout.

mtbr member
    I've never followed the Top Fuel releases in the past with a focus on the EX. May lean Top Fuel this year and am curious of the aluminum offerings are historically released closer to the fall?

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Topfuel 9 from Holland!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zgxtreme View Post
    I've never followed the Top Fuel releases in the past with a focus on the EX. May lean Top Fuel this year and am curious of the aluminum offerings are historically released closer to the fall?
    What you want to know? Ive seen them. I jist ordered a 9. Your LBS should have the new cateloge.

mtbr member
    I would like to ad a second bottle mount... Specialized had a nice one for the post but their 27.2mm.

Just camelback it for training and 750ml bottle it per lap?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I would like to ad a second bottle mount... Specialized had a nice one for the post but their 27.2mm.

Just camelback it for training and 750ml bottle it per lap?
    I'm in the same boat. Been searching without much luck. eBay has some KCNC similar to the Specialized mounts for about $50.

SKS also sells a Velcro strap on version. Not sure I trust that enough.

There is also the King cage mount that mounts to your stem cap. But, that's where my Garmin sits.

At this point I'm resigned to either a Camelback, or a second bottle in my jersey pocket.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    With the "right" bottle cage, a pair of hose clamps, and a couple of small pieces of rubber for shims, it's pretty easy to put a cage on any seatpost.

One of these might work, too, though none of them look perfect:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...seatpost+mount

Years ago, my wife had a Turner Flux that was small enough that a bottle would not physically fit in the main triangle, so I drilled and tapped her Thomson seatpost and mounted up a cage and it worked out great for six years of riding. Note that my wife is very small and is not an aggressive rider, so proceed with caution if you explore this route. Also, probably not recommended for a carbon seatpost!

mtbr member
    With the "right" bottle cage, a pair of hose clamps, and a couple of small pieces of rubber for shims, it's pretty easy to put a cage on any seatpost.

One of these might work, too, though none of them look perfect:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...seatpost+mount

Years ago, my wife had a Turner Flux that was small enough that a bottle would not physically fit in the main triangle, so I drilled and tapped her Thomson seatpost and mounted up a cage and it worked out great for six years of riding. Note that my wife is very small and is not an aggressive rider, so proceed with caution if you explore this route. Also, probably not recommended for a carbon seatpost!
    Lol. Yah not doing that. I bend 27.2 posts

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jgdarcy View Post
    I'm in the same boat. Been searching without much luck. eBay has some KCNC similar to the Specialized mounts for about $50.

SKS also sells a Velcro strap on version. Not sure I trust that enough.

There is also the King cage mount that mounts to your stem cap. But, that's where my Garmin sits.

At this point I'm resigned to either a Camelback, or a second bottle in my jersey pocket.
    I found a whole bunch that are $15 and less on ebay. Chineese cnc non name brand stuff. One clamp tho and a bar that the cage mounts to. Hmmm..... My google searches brought up nothing but crappy ones, these might work off ebay.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Lol. Yah not doing that. I bend 27.2 posts
    FWIW, Thomson actually approved this, noting that, as long as the cage bolts were always left in place, it would not reduce resistance to bending in the backwards direction.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I found a whole bunch that are $15 and less on ebay. Chineese cnc non name brand stuff. One clamp tho and a bar that the cage mounts to. Hmmm..... My google searches brought up nothing but crappy ones, these might work off ebay.
    Saw those. I used to break bottle cages on the seat post mount of my old Epic. A cage would only last about a year before failing. The single point seat post mounts don't seem strong enough to hold up to a mountain bike application. At least in my opinion.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I see the 2106 Top Fuel 8's are on sale. Does anyone know anything about the 2017 model spec, details?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    The carbon wheelset on the 2017 model: Kovee Pro - how do you guys liking it? Anyone was considering upgrade for racing to XXX Kovee (any feedback on these)?

mtbr member

I see the 2106 Top Fuel 8's are on sale. Does anyone know anything about the 2017 model spec, details?
    It had fox suspension, shimano 2x with xt rear. Black with blue writing and stripes. Thats all i remember.

$1000 cnd less than a 9

mtbr member
    The carbon wheelset on the 2017 model: Kovee Pro - how do you guys liking it? Anyone was considering upgrade for racing to XXX Kovee (any feedback on these)?
    Only reason to if your a freehub blower is the pro has dt swiss internals and the pro has 3 pawl.

mtbr member
    Saw those. I used to break bottle cages on the seat post mount of my old Epic. A cage would only last about a year before failing. The single point seat post mounts don't seem strong enough to hold up to a mountain bike application. At least in my opinion.
    Could buy 2 and not use the T parts.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    From a Dutch website:

Top fuel 8
    https://www.12gobiking.nl/trek-top-fuel-8-2017

Top fuel 9
    https://www.12gobiking.nl/trek-top-fuel-9-2017

I have the 9, and i love it!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Good news: My TF 9.8 showed up and I started the build on Saturday.

Bad news: I attempted to loosen the rear brake caliper mounting bolt on the rear brake to align it with the rotor, and hit a big problem. Apparently, they cross threaded the bolt into the threaded mount on the brake post mount. Loosening the bolt broke the post and started to remove the insert from the carbon.

2017 Top Fuel     any sneak peeks or info?-broken-brake.jpg

My shop will be contacting Trek for warranty replacement this morning. I am hoping for a quick resolution so I can still use the bike in the Dakota Five-O in less than 2 weeks (since that is the major reason I ordered it when I did). Should just be a new seatstay replacement. Sucks, but I know it will all get settled properly.

I didn't complete the rest of the build, but I tossed it on the scale for the fun of it.

23 lbs 11 oz [10.7 kg]

2017 Top Fuel 9.8, no pedals, no tubes, no sealant, no water bottle cage, incomplete routing for shock remote.

I am guessing about 24.5 lbs [11.1 kg] ready to race.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    News from the shop is that Trek is sending a replacement seatstay via expedited shipment. Should be here Wednesday.

Score another one for satisfying customer service from Trek. I should have enough time to finish the bike for the weekend and at least a few shake-down rides to get it setup for my big race.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bastiaan View Post
    From a Dutch website:

Top fuel 8
    https://www.12gobiking.nl/trek-top-fuel-8-2017

Top fuel 9
    https://www.12gobiking.nl/trek-top-fuel-9-2017

I have the 9, and i love it!
    Thank you, kind of digging the 8.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Could buy 2 and not use the T parts.
    Good idea!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Good idea!
    Can you share a link? I'm curious which model you are looking at.

Edit: most I am finding don't list a size range for the post. Makes me wonder if one would work on my 31.6mm Bontrager post?

I bet many are intended for 27.2mm and 30.9mm.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I cannot tell you how lucky you are. Generally a bike has to be built by the shop for reasons like this. Really hard to prove that you did not cross thread. The shop went to bat for you. Only say this cause ive had the fight....i refuse to have shops build because i always have to completely disassemble and rebuild to a better "tolerance".

mtbr member

Can you share a link? I'm curious which model you are looking at.

Edit: most I am finding don't list a size range for the post. Makes me wonder if one would work on my 31.6mm Bontrager post?

I bet many are intended for 27.2mm and 30.9mm.
    Yah no size but looks like they have a range.

They are gub brand.

Just found these tho!

http://www.xcracer.com/shop/viewprod...?productid=302

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zgxtreme View Post
    Thank you, kind of digging the 8.
    Man i didnt really look at the 8 once i seen the deore 2x10 with a xt rear. It looks identical to my 9 other than drive and tires.... I better got more than that for $1000. The 9.8 everything is carbon for $1400 more than the 9

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    9 upgrades to Elite wheels, Team tires, Montrose ti saddle, Level brakes, remote shock control and the mentioned X1.

Those all add up to lighter and better.

mtbr member
    I have that on my 9.8 Superfly, works great with 3 differnt settings
    Team Stonehaus/Trek Factory Racing
    2017 Trek 9.9 Top Fuel Race
    2015 Trek 9.8 Superfly FS
    2014 Trek Road Bike

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I cannot tell you how lucky you are. Generally a bike has to be built by the shop for reasons like this. Really hard to prove that you did not cross thread. The shop went to bat for you. Only say this cause ive had the fight....i refuse to have shops build because i always have to completely disassemble and rebuild to a better "tolerance".
    Chader said he was simply attempting to realign the rear caliper. Not really a build issue, and certainly well within the range of bike maintenance allowed to be performed by the owner.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by A-X View Post
    Given the Top Fuel is an XC race bike I see very few scenarios where you would have the opportunity to spin out an 11t cog - that's say around 30mph or higher depending on your chainring size. As an XC racer you're not going to be missing a 10t cog and would prefer a better spread of gear ratios instead.

Away from racing then no doubt there will be situations where it would be good to have a 10t but these would be few. If there is enough gradient to make this possible then it almost be pointless pedalling anyway unless you were on road.
    Mostly depends on where you live and the trails,
    Here in AZ I can tap out my 1x11 XTR gearing on a few trails we race on,.
    I may be installing a 34T chainring. But i have been waiting to see of I am going to Switch from my Next SL cranks to XTR cranks
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I am actually a shop employee and built the bike at the shop. Although I am a Fitter 1st, Salesperson 2nd, and Tech 3rd, I know how to turn a wrench.

As soon as I found the issue, I pulled our top wrenches in to see what they thought. They confirmed the problem and had me document it for submission at Trek. It got handled very well from our end and Trek's.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Chader said he was simply attempting to realign the rear caliper. Not really a build issue, and certainly well within the range of bike maintenance allowed to be performed by the owner.
    Agreed. How many of the bikes that come in don't need some level of adjustment like this? (Wheel true, brakes adjust, derailleur, etc.)

That all requires loosening and tightening bolts. Customer or shop tech, if the bike comes wrong from the factory, it's Trek's responsibility to make it right.

Trek made a mistake in the build and are being quick to resolve the issue. They asked us to return the bad seatstay for their review. They will review it in Quality Control/Assurance and may make changes if they see a systematic problem. Just like any large manufacturer.

To their credit, I have seen about 3-4 of this type of factory error and Trek fixed it quickly with little hassle.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Agreed. How many of the bikes that come in don't need some level of adjustment like this? (Wheel true, brakes adjust, derailleur, etc.)

That all requires loosening and tightening bolts. Customer or shop tech, if the bike comes wrong from the factory, it's Trek's responsibility to make it right.

Trek made a mistake in the build and are being quick to resolve the issue. They asked us to return the bad seatstay for their review. They will review it in Quality Control/Assurance and may make changes if they see a systematic problem. Just like any large manufacturer.

To their credit, I have seen about 3-4 of this type of factory error and Trek fixed it quickly with little hassle.

Yeah, I guess I was having reading comprehension issues when I saw that it was during his build process and therefore called it a build issue. Pretty sure as a shop employee you realize that had you given a customer a bike in a box and they built it at home and had this same build issue that they would have a much harder time with Trek. The responsibility of the shop to Trek is that bikes are built by them to ensure the safety of the product out of the box. Read the owners manual and the warranty exclusions. If you don't think unscrewing and realigning a caliper is part of a bike build, you're doing it wrong. If you are a wrench thinking that stuff comes from the factory in an optimum condition and don't readjust, you're doing it wrong. A good indy mechanic inspects it all while a factory builds for efficiency. I built and sold hundreds or thousands of bikes while working at shops. Every part was checked and adjusted. Really anal shop owners and really great mechanics..even many years later they are the number one shop.

Remember I am talking about first time out of the box build by a random customer, not a shop employee. We are not talking about a shop being build issues, thats exactly my point of why the shop is supposed to build, because a random may not even know whats wrong. And while yes adjusting a caliper is just a normal adjustment, so is everything done to a bike AFTER the FIRST build. Some shops may check the oiling on new forks, others may not. Which shop will have more failures?

Was just saying you'd be lucky as a random to get it so easy.

mtbr member
    I have the 16 top fuel 9.8 and very happy with it. I am a SRAM guy and prefer the SRAM suspension over the Fox any day.

The XLok on the bike is either ON or Off and it after getting used to it I think it keeps the bike simple rather than thinking about three different positions. Even when locked out there is a little "give" on larger bumps in the trail but on smooth sections going uphill you feel like you are riding a rigid hard tail.

I am using it all the time now that I have gotten used to it. Great tool to have if you know your trails fairly well and have lots of changing scenery between rocks, roots and buffed out singletrack.

Out of everyone that has this bike. Do you actually use the lockouts?
    I was HUGE into using my lockout on my SS when climbing anything with my Reba RL

but after switching to a better fork. I never use it unless I am doing a LONG fire road. I used it on the Whiskey off road race 30 mile SS.

Most people I have talked to around here. Either modify the system to only lock the front or don't use the locks outs anymore at all

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    So.... finally got everything changed across on Tuesday (was waiting on the DT Swiss lever) and have a couple of rides on it now. Thoughts:
    -Don't ride it (9.8SL) until you have cable protection patch on the frame. I made the mistake of having 1 ride before I frame-skinned it and the cables cause rub very easily;
    -The cause of the crap lockout is the rear shock cable run. It has tight bends and a strong spring in the shock;
    -The DT Swiss remote is miles better with the extra leverage;
    -The rear shock is not a 3 position on this model. Ran the shock code through fox;
    -Internal dropper requires the BB removed to guide the housing through the BB turn;
    -The control freak system is fantastic for running the cables however you please.
    -XR1 Team tires are surprisingly good.

That's pretty much it from only a couple of short rides.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Where did you get the DT lever? I am considering one as well. Sounds like a great upgrade.
    Based on your info, it looks like the 2 position version will be the best?

I was worried about the rear remote cable routing too. It looks like a big rub point. Also might have to consider coated cables to reduce lever force a bit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Yes I have the over the bar style lever from DT Swiss. If you are looking just buy the two stage rather than the three. If you go this route, then Teflon cables are really required.
    Definitely put on some basic frame protection patches as the cables do rub
    Where did you get the DT lever? I am considering one as well. Sounds like a great upgrade.
    Based on your info, it looks like the 2 position version will be the best?

I was worried about the rear remote cable routing too. It looks like a big rub point. Also might have to consider coated cables to reduce lever force a bit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Great news, thanks.

Is this the lever you recommend?
    (2-position for open/closed shock)
    DT Swiss Single Stage Remote Lever 2in1 | Chain Reaction Cycles

That is the only place I have found for shipping to the US.

Formerly of Kent
    You can also order them from DT USA directly.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Anyone go grip shift on their xc bikes? All the guys at the shop do as we have hilly terrain, apparently you can just rip thru the gears.... Not sure. Last time i had grip shift i was in grade school on a norco mini mountaineer

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    You can also order them from DT USA directly.

I contacted DT to find a way to purchase. They asked about my application and say that their controller is NOT compatible because of different pull ratios.

LOL, not sure what to think since bear has already used it?

I also contacted Scott Bikes about the TwinLoc and they gave me part number (230097) that I can apparently order from any Scott dealer.

I might go this route since it is already compatible with Fox suspension.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Anyone go grip shift on their xc bikes? All the guys at the shop do as we have hilly terrain, apparently you can just rip thru the gears.... Not sure. Last time i had grip shift i was in grade school on a norco mini mountaineer
    I haven't, but I know that many people posting on MTBR like the new SRAM Gripshift again. It rolls on ball bearings, is very smooth, and allows fast upshifts (harder gear) in one motion.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I had an idea (probably crazy) about routing the cable/housing for the rear shock control differently.

I may try using the external option of the micro-truss features in the top tube. Run it there and drop down to the shock with enough extra slack/housing to follow the drop when the shock compresses.

Any thoughts?

2017 Top Fuel     any sneak peeks or info?-dropper-cable-reroute.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Great news, thanks.

Is this the lever you recommend?
    (2-position for open/closed shock)
    DT Swiss Single Stage Remote Lever 2in1 | Chain Reaction Cycles

That is the only place I have found for shipping to the US.
    Thats them

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Would need to change the lockout through 180d. Not sure how easy that would be.
    I had an idea (probably crazy) about routing the cable/housing for the rear shock control differently.

I may try using the external option of the micro-truss features in the top tube. Run it there and drop down to the shock with enough extra slack/housing to follow the drop when the shock compresses.

Any thoughts?

Name:	dropper-cable-reroute.JPG 
Views:	826 
Size:	111.9 KB 
ID:	1090119

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Why not just come out the bottom port straight up to the shock? I've been DYING to make this change, the cable for my hydro lockout is way, way too long, over 6" too long.

I saw a picture somewhere, can't find it now, where someone did this. I have RockShox shock with hydro cable, but he just rotated the shock thing downard, and went right in as my photo shows.

Once I get a bleed kit I will make the change I think, since i have to trim the cable anyway, might as well clean it up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2017 Top Fuel     any sneak peeks or info?-dropper-cable-reroute.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Because when the shock compresses it will move against the cable???? Also radius of the bend maybe very tight in practice causing excess drag??? One would assume that Trek would have used this routing if it was possible.
    Why not just come out the bottom port straight up to the shock? I've been DYING to make this change, the cable for my hydro lockout is way, way too long, over 6" too long.

I saw a picture somewhere, can't find it now, where someone did this. I have RockShox shock with hydro cable, but he just rotated the shock thing downard, and went right in as my photo shows.

Once I get a bleed kit I will make the change I think, since i have to trim the cable anyway, might as well clean it up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    That green route may work for hydro, but I think that curve on the bottom could be too sharp and cause binding for a cable line.

It makes the housing into an acute angle of about 45*. That tighter angle and the shorter amount of loose cable to the shock could be less flexible and cause binding in the housing during compression.

I like the top route because it is an obtuse angle about 120*. That minimal bend along with the reduced length of housing might operate smoother (when compared to the stock layout with longer housing and lots of bends).

I am thinking I will tie the stock housing to the frame for now to keep it tucked away. I will run a new external housing and cable on the top side and see how it works.

If it sucks, I can pull it off easily and reuse the stock housing/routing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I don't know, shock will move, but I don't see it as a problem. With mine, being fluid in the cable, I don't think the angle or bend matters. The final bend at the top of the shock is about the same bend it would take down below. That long cable bend is about the only thing I don't like about the frame. Darn, I wish I could find that post where someone did it already. I searched over and over and can't find it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Would need to change the lockout through 180d. Not sure how easy that would be.
    I wouldn't have to change the lockout at all. The housing and cable would enter from the top side of the connection, just like the stock routing.

The only difference is which direction the cable takes and how much it bends.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Makes me jealous of the Fox iRD electronic lockouts. Aside from the black plastic box thing on the shock, the thin flexible cable routing rules.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Sorry made a mistake and had to go and look as the guide is top mounted. This is the problem with suggest with using the other bottom port routing.
    I wouldn't have to change the lockout at all. The housing and cable would enter from the top side of the connection, just like the stock routing.

The only difference is which direction the cable takes and how much it bends.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Edit: Ignore this post.

Following posts clarified the discussion.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    The problem is the plastic guide is top mounted so this will need to be rotated through 180d if the bottom port is used.
    I don't know, shock will move, but I don't see it as a problem. With mine, being fluid in the cable, I don't think the angle or bend matters. The final bend at the top of the shock is about the same bend it would take down below. That long cable bend is about the only thing I don't like about the frame. Darn, I wish I could find that post where someone did it already. I searched over and over and can't find it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Sorry made a mistake and had to go and look as the guide is top mounted. This is the problem with suggest with using the other bottom port routing.
    Ahhhh, yes. You are right. My way (red line) will be fine stock.
    The other way (green line) would be an issue and require swapping the part. Yet another reason I won't try that way.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    The guide on the shock itself? It rotates freely. I have so much extra cable I darn near rotated it all the way down and it made no difference. It's loose to spin.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    The guide on the shock itself? It rotates freely. I have so much extra cable I darn near rotated it all the way down and it made no difference. It's loose to spin.
    That may be true with the 2016 (hydro version), but is not the case with the 2017 (cable version).

Apples vs Oranges

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Double Post

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Ah, didn't realize that. From the looks of the Fox, I assumed it was just easily rotated. I do like how smooth and easy the hydro lockouts are on the RS system. But I miss how easy it is to trim and replace cables the old way. The electronic lockouts will be the standard some day down the road. Tiny thin wires, if any at all.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Ah, didn't realize that. From the looks of the Fox, I assumed it was just easily rotated. I do like how smooth and easy the hydro lockouts are on the RS system. But I miss how easy it is to trim and replace cables the old way. The electronic lockouts will be the standard some day down the road. Tiny thin wires, if any at all.
    Agreed, I love the hydro feel, but hate the maintenance/adjustment hassle compared to cable.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I will try the red line setup this weekend. The biggest issue I foresee is getting enough extra housing to float down with the shock.

I think it will take more length than my simple sketch and it could be a problem keeping it out of the way. If it works, though... I think it could make lever pull much easier.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Hah, I was just looking at the "photos of your trek" thread for fun, and found this TRICKED out mega-crazy build of a top fuel, fox shocks, and the cable coming out the bottom tube. He is using Nokon cables, which would be absolutely perfect for this use. I have all Nokons on my v-brake hardtail and you can make crazy-tight bends and have perfect cable smoothness.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    The guide must be rotatable then. Is that a 2016 or 2017 TF?
    Any link to the full build?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I'll find it. I think he built up a frame, as his has a front derailleur. Only P1 has that, or a frameset. And considering every single part in the bike was high end crazy light, I doubt he bought a whole bike to start.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Nice find!

Thanks for sharing. That look pretty clean. I may have to invest in some Nokon...

mtbr member
    Anyone have a pressure chart for the rear float xc reaktiv?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Anyone have a pressure chart for the rear float xc reaktiv?
    8mm sag (20%) for a total stroke of 38mm.
    Shock isn't up on Treks website as of last weekend

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Any thoughts?

Name:	dropper-cable-reroute.JPG 
Views:	826 
Size:	111.9 KB 
ID:	1090119
    I routed the remote rear shock cable on my Turner Czar as you've sketched above for nearly 3 years without a hitch.

But......there must be, or should be, some reason that Trek did not do it this way?! It just seems so much simpler than the big cable loop-de-doo.

By all means, give it a whirl and report back. Seems like a $10 experiment, if that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    It's been a while since I setup and raced a XC fully. Is 20-25% still the general range for sag?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Generally that's correct.
    It's been a while since I setup and raced a XC fully. Is 20-25% still the general range for sag?

mtbr member
    Thats what my lbs said. I couldnt get a hold of them when i posted, finally did and yah 20-25%. He said to set the rear at 3/4 of my weight = psi and go from there, he personally runs at weight plus 10% so ill see what i like.

mtbr member
    I routed the remote rear shock cable on my Turner Czar as you've sketched above for nearly 3 years without a hitch.

But......there must be, or should be, some reason that Trek did not do it this way?! It just seems so much simpler than the big cable loop-de-doo.

By all means, give it a whirl and report back. Seems like a $10 experiment, if that.
    I was looking at the bike and yah that seems so simple, just the cost of a new cable crimp and some zip ties really. Would be less pull friction in the shifter too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I am 145lbs nekid and ended up with the following in street clothes:

Front 50psi for 22mm sag
    Rear 130psi for 8mm sag

I expect to increase a small amount as the suspension breaks in a bit.

I have a slight issue with the front lockout. I need to loosen and remove the top lockout on the fork to rotate the cable routing hole forward. But my wrenches don't seem to fit it right. Once I get that fixed, I will be able to do the final cable routing.

What location did you guys end up with for the fork lockout cable?

Also, based on quick testing, the fork damper appears to be a true lockout. I expected more of a climb mode based on the function of the damper on my Fuel EX.

I guess it makes sense based on it being a full race bike. I didn't get to play with the rear shock at all to see how it works.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Just in case anyone wants to look at the 19.9 pound top fuel, just go to the master Trek folder, and you'll find the thread "show photos of your Trek". Then zoom to the very last page, it's about 1/2 way down. The guy spent crazy money on this thing, I can't even imagine how much he spent. But it's the lightest TF I'll likely ever see.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Just want to give you guys a heads up. My lockout lever has stripped out after three rides. Will take it by the shop tomorrow to see what they say.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    So its really hard for me to believe that FOX/TREK released this bike. I ordered a TOP FUEL 2016 project 1 with the fox cable system and could never get it to work right.... I never tried the external routing but did try both routing coming out of the control freak system.

Remotes I tried

2016 FOX remote, worked for a day then wouldn't stay locked

2013 FOX remote, worked the best, but wouldn't unlock all the way due to the weak springs fox uses and a horrible design on the front fork spring sytem. If you add spring pressure to the front spring. It pulls the knob to one side and rubs on the inside of system. They need to add a ball bearing inside the shock to keep that knob centered, not rely and a little light weight seal to do job.

Scott remote, worked OK, bought one on ebay and it broke pretty fast and wouldn't stay locked. Pretty sure the rear cable pull was a little off.

DT Swiss remote, worked great but the cable pull ratio was wrong and wouldn't lock the front all the way or let it open all the way depending on how you set it up. I compared cable pull on the fox vs the dt and it was different.

When I talked to FOX at the time they said they where working on a design to the remote. Which is what comes on the new 2017, sounds like it's **** also. I really don't understand why it's so hard for them to design a system that works right. I've got a 2 year old dt swiss fork with cable lockout that works perfect. It's been in the mud sand and everything else.

I fixed my bike, by spending more money and getting IRD. It's been pretty much perfect. I did have one handle bar remote fail.

TREK/FOX shouldn't have released these bikes until a total redesign of the system has happened.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Does anybody know how much cable the new Fox lockout pulls?
    Either in inches or millimeters.

I am wondering if it would be possible to us an old 2x shifter from SRAM or Shimano instead. I need to look up the cable pull distance for those

Even if the pull matches, the real issue is support for only one cable, but it might be possible to use a cable splitter.

I rode mine today and used the lockout a dozen times. It worked great, but I'm worried about longevity. I like it even though I wonder how much I will use it. The bike pedals so well in open mode anyway. It will be nice for double-track and any road sections.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Just looking at weights of 2016 and 2017 9.9 top fuels.2017 is half a kilo heavier,considering RS1 forks are heavier,this makes the eagle drivetrain and other components look very heavy.A lot of extra weight for their top end bike.Views on RS1 compared to their new fox 32 stepcast forks ?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    333 miles into my top fuel 9.8
    Liking the bike, but struggling with the Fox components. In addition to the broken lockout, I've also broken the rebound adjustment knob on the step cast fork. There is nothing laterally supporting the knob, and will break if something pushes it sideways.

Will follow up when I hear results of warranty claims on both.

At 195, looking to add volume reducers to front and rear. Other than that, solid ride!

mtbr member
    First ride was a race, 3 8km laps, 223m of climbing per lap. Bike worked flawlessly. Climbed well, descended well, fox remote worked the whole time. Love my 9. Going to probably change the rear hub to a dt swiss for next season tho, same 3 pawl design as my farley and i blew that up 2 times last winter.

mtbr member
    Question for those who have a 2017 TP.
    Have you ridden a 2016 TP at all and able to compare the fitment between the two years?

I demo'd a 2016 19.5 and just felt small.
    A 2017 Top Fuel 9.8 SL is in the works for another race bike for me. but No one has a demo of the new ones here and trying to get a idea on fitment
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    WOuldn't the fit between '16 and '17 be the exact same? The frames are identical as far as I know?

mtbr member
    WOuldn't the fit between '16 and '17 be the exact same? The frames are identical as far as I know?
    That's what i'm trying to find out
    Too Many .

mtbr member

Little nicer mounting if you got grip shift. Looks like a trigger style rather than a old school thumbie with the dt swiss lever upside down.

On the fence about grip shift, slamming thru 11 gears is a little slow with the single click.

mtbr member
    That's what i'm trying to find out
    Theres this cool thing.... You go onto trek and theres a live chat and they have answers for everything trek.

mtbr member
    Theres this cool thing.... You go onto trek and theres a live chat and they have answers for everything trek.
    hmm. didn't know that..

thanks smarty pants
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    hmm. didn't know that..

thanks smarty pants
    Yah ive asked them some questions like the anodizing color from my farley 6 and other dumb questions and they always have answers.

mtbr member
    Yah ive asked them some questions like the anodizing color from my farley 6 and other dumb questions and they always have answers.
    good to know.

I may wait till the demo truck comes through here again and take one out.
    Already built the P1 Top Fuel up just need to wait for sizing.
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    good to know.

I may wait till the demo truck comes through here again and take one out.
    Already built the P1 Top Fuel up just need to wait for sizing.
    Im 6'2" and wear a 32 pant and i ride a 19.5 farley and a 21.5 top fuel. TF has a 1.5 cm longer reach is all.

mtbr member
    Im 6'2" and wear a 32 pant and i ride a 19.5 farley and a 21.5 top fuel. TF has a 1.5 cm longer reach is all.
    hmm
    I'm 5'11" 34" inseam.
    I ride a 19.5 Procal and 19.5 2015 Stache
    Too Many .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast