2017 Remedy review- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

2017 Remedy review

So I was able to demo the new 2017 remedy 9.8 yesterday for an hour up at Wanoga snow park outside of Bend OR. All I can say is Wow! I rode and XL and had a blast. The only trails we could ride were funner due to a race going on. It didn't have plus sized tires but a 2.4 (I think) XR4.

Granted I'm jaded right now. I'm coming off of a old 2004 Kona coiler and a buddies 2009 trek fuel ex9 so a Modern kids scoop bike rides better!

The new remedy though allowed me to attack all the rock sections with speed and helped me clear line with speed I usually would have to crawl through. It handled almost all the drops on funner with ease. It definitely made me a better rider and when I blew a line or made a mistake it helped self correct for me.

The trek rep he new 9.8 is 150mm up front and rear with a pike and the new 2017 9.9 and 9's with be 160mm up front with a lyric the only difference with the 9 being and aluminum frame.

I like the idea of the pop can frame but I don't know if I really need that much more travel up front. Granted we could only ride funner but 150mm seems perfect. The rep also said the HT angle is slacked out on all the new frames a degree compared to last year but don't quote me. I rode a section back up and used the lockout on the shock and was pleasantly surprised at how well is worked. I didn't like the 2x11 on the 9.8 (the 9 and 9.9. Are 1x11). But it felt like this bike could be my do all one bike quiver. Now just want to try the 9 or 9.9.

I then was able to demo a Santa Cruz Bronson. Damn, that was just as fun. There are so many good bikes out there.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Very cool. I took advantage of the Wanoga demo on Saturday, but I didn't see the Remedy 9.8. I took out a FuelEX 9.8 27.5+.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    You could easily neg. with your bike shop to swap the 2x11 for 1x11. Through shimano, at no extra cost.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    So had the chance to test the new Remedy. Unfortunately it was only the 9.8 and not the RSL Version like 9.9 or 9 RSL.

First of all, the suspension felt very plush. I guess this is also due to the fact, that its brandnew and my Slash did not have a Suspension service for 2 years (will get done end of season).
    The Remedy was tested in the steeper position, so that means 66.5 vs 65.0 on my slash. Here are my thoughts:

- Never EVER anything else than 1x11 (or 1x12), even though the 2x10 on the Remedy worked fine
    - lots of dropped chain on the Remedy
    - Remedy climbs better than my Slash, even though its almost 1kg heavier
    - Remedy pedals more efficienctly than my Slash
    - the Remedy is a pretty capable bike (testet on Bikepark and Enduro race course): it soaked up the little bumps very good, very sensible suspension, but if you go big, I think (or I do believe to think) you notice the missing 10mm of travel
    - whish the Remedy had a remote for the lockout
    - the XT brakes were a joke, never experienced that much shifting centre of pressure

- when I switched to my Slash, I realized how amazingly PLANTED the Slash felt in comparison
    - it felt so much faster, more capable on the decents than the Remedy, it also felt more secure on highspeed downhills
    - it felt like you sat ON the remedy comparing to the Slash, where you sat more IN the bike

I think, with burlier tires / more travel / slacker geometry and 1x11, the new Remedy could match the 2015+ descents performance. So I could imagine the 9.9 RSL would be a nice successor of the previous Slash, but it definitely has to be the RSL with the slacker, same low geometry as the Slash. The "normal" Remedy is no match to the Slash in relation to downhill/descents. Just a bit dissapointed, that even the RSL version comes with a 180mm front rotor instead of a 200mm...

Attachment 1085974

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    If you were considering the bike.. get the shop to swap out the 2x for a 1x. Should be a no cost option when you are spending that much money.

I've never had a dropped chain on my 1x XT setup.

Are you going to try and demo a new 29er slash =)

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Yes I am going to try to demo a Slash 29 in the middle of september

I would only consider the 9.9 RSL Remedy, but not the "normal" one.

mtbr member
    I also had the new 2017 Remedy 9.8 for about 4 solid rides . I found myself riding faster and attacking rock sections with more confidence . I have the Remedy 2014 and just don't ride my old Remedy like I was riding this new one I had so much more confidence . By the 3rd ride I was very impressed. The bike feels real low to the ground so for corners it rails . I was getting many pedal strikes climbing and I learned the bike needed to be locked out when climbing. One other item is the fork stops I never really had an issue with them until I hit this one section where you almost have to track stand and turn the wheel. I am thinking about buying this bike my only concern is the fork stops. I don't think it will be an issue but I wish Trek would have made the turning radius a bit more. This bike was a rocket to ride. This bike came with 1x12 and it was flawless and the brakes from sram were very good lots of modulation, the shock front and rear from Rock were very plush. The bike really couldn't be specked much better. One of the most impressing features was the new Trek Dropper seat post action was buttery smooth and the thumb switch was the best I have ever used. This bike left a really good impression on me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by mark59 View Post
    I also had the new 2017 Remedy 9.8 for about 4 solid rides . I found myself riding faster and attacking rock sections with more confidence . I have the Remedy 2014 and just don't ride my old Remedy like I was riding this new one I had so much more confidence . By the 3rd ride I was very impressed. The bike feels real low to the ground so for corners it rails . I was getting many pedal strikes climbing and I learned the bike needed to be locked out when climbing. One other item is the fork stops I never really had an issue with them until I hit this one section where you almost have to track stand and turn the wheel. I am thinking about buying this bike my only concern is the fork stops. I don't think it will be an issue but I wish Trek would have made the turning radius a bit more. This bike was a rocket to ride. This bike came with 1x12 and it was flawless and the brakes from sram were very good lots of modulation, the shock front and rear from Rock were very plush. The bike really couldn't be specked much better. One of the most impressing features was the new Trek Dropper seat post action was buttery smooth and the thumb switch was the best I have ever used. This bike left a really good impression on me.
    Low geometry? Eagle? Thumb switch?
    It looks like you did not test the 9.8 but the 9.9 RSL ?? What colour did the bike have?

Super Moderator SuperModerator
    I was fortunate enough to ride a 9.9 RSL last week at TrekWorld.

My regular ride is a 2016 Fuel EX9 29er in 18.5", I took out an 18.5" RSL.

First off I have never really found a 27.5" bike that I liked riding, they always felt slower than a 29" bike and honestly the RSL did not change that opinion on the flat or uphills.

I went out with a co-worker who rode the new Fuel EX 29. On the flat we were about equal, on the uphill he definately had the advantage, the Remedy was more work to get uphill.

But when the trail pointed down.. oh wow, the bike really flew. For riding a new bike on unfamiliar trails I has zero hesitation about hitting drops and rock gardens, the bike just flew through it all. Corners.. a breeze, it stuck turns like glue. I was having an absolute blast on it.

If the terrain I ride 99% of the time had more descending in it then I would really really consider this bike but I live in flat S. Ontario so here a 29er still rules,

The Remedy is one of the first 27.5 bike's that I've really been impressed by, where I saw the advantage of the smaller wheel, where it was a prefered bike to ride.

If you're daily ride involves downhills that are blue/black or higher level trails then this bike will impress !!

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Thanks very much