2017 Fuel EX 27.5+ vs 2017 Remedy- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2016

2017 Fuel EX 27.5+ vs 2017 Remedy

I am having a dilemma. I am very tempted to swap my 27.5+ for the Remedy for the extra travel and the Pike.

I want descending to be fun and like the margin of error the extra travel affords. That being said, I really like the 27.5+

The geometry of the Fuel seems to match the 2016 Remedy, but the 2017 has gone even slacker.

Has anyone ridden both? The 2016 Remedy has gotten great reviews and I would expect the 2017 to be even better.

Any opinions?

I like park riding and I doubt the slackness of the Remedy would prevent or make climbing that much harder. When I do go out to the mountains, I prefer the descent to the flatter and uphill sections. Is the Remedy more for me?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    I am having a dilemma. I am very tempted to swap my 27.5+ for the Remedy for the extra travel and the Pike.

I want descending to be fun and like the margin of error the extra travel affords. That being said, I really like the 27.5+

The geometry of the Fuel seems to match the 2016 Remedy, but the 2017 has gone even slacker.

Has anyone ridden both? The 2016 Remedy has gotten great reviews and I would expect the 2017 to be even better.

Any opinions?

I like park riding and I doubt the slackness of the Remedy would prevent or make climbing that much harder. When I do go out to the mountains, I prefer the descent to the flatter and uphill sections. Is the Remedy more for me?

Remedy
    Too Many .

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Ditto.....Remedy. It's actually not a bad climber at all.
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I've rode both

The Remedy was a bit more sharper and agile on the trail...they both climbed about the same. Both were fun...I guess it just depends on how aggressive you like to get

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by brent701 View Post
    Remedy
    Yup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    did you just go out and buy one!? nice!

I would have said wait for slash release?

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by LinkyPinky87 View Post
    did you just go out and buy one!? nice!

I would have said wait for slash release?
    Yes. Traded the EX8 27.5+ I bought at the end of June in. It only took one ride for me to decide.

Quicker handling. Less bob when pedalling with the shock wide open.

The EX tires were definitely smoother on paved surfaces and more forgiving over sharp edges.

mtbr member
    Wow, that was fast! The Remedy 8 build looks to have a lot of bang for the buck. I'm looking forward to a more in depth review!
    1992 Trek 800 Antelope
    2009 Haro Mary SS
    2015 Trek Stache 7
    2017 Trek Fuel EX 9

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    how would you compare the roll-over of 27.5 vs 27.5+? it doesnt seem there would be much of a difference

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishywishy View Post
    how would you compare the roll-over of 27.5 vs 27.5+? it doesnt seem there would be much of a difference
    From Feedback of people I know that have one and all the reviews posted about it along with the test runs comparing 27.5+ to 27.5 and 29er's

The 27.5+ is amazing on rough trails. You can notice the larger tires from a dead stop after that it fly's
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    If I am understanding you question correctly, the 27.5+ acts like a 29 with the first inch of suspension being nice and plush. It rolls faster.

I noticed what felt like a change in gearing.

When riding up a 5-6" curb, the 27.5+ was much smoother. This could be the tires or the fork as the 27.5+ had the Fox and the Remedy has a Pike.

It has been raining a lot the last week and I probably won't be able to give it a good go for a few days as the trails dry out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    For what it may be worth, I have a 2014 Remedy 9 27.5 and recently acquired a 2017 Fuel EX 9.8 Plus. Though I have seen and sat on a new Remedy 9.8 i have not had an opportunity to ride one. My original thoughts were that I was going to liquidate my Remedy, but at this point I'll be holding on to both.. These are two different animals all together. Both bikes are equipped similarly, the Remedy with a full SRAM X9 2x groupo and the Fuel with the factory equipped Shimano XT 2x groupo, there is a 2.5 lbs difference between the two bikes in favor of the Fuel, but the Remedy seems to carry its weight a bit better. I have been riding these bikes back to back since I acquired the Fuel have come up with some interesting observations. Now these are just my observations and humble opinions, that being said....
    The Remedy feels like a better technical climber, and the Fuel is better in technical trail conditions like rock gardens. I believe the size of the tires has a lot to do with this, the Remedy is equipped the 27.5 x 2.4 Onza Citius the Fuel is still equipped with the 27.5 x 2.8 Bontrager Chupacabra.
    The Fuel is a great descender with noticeable grip in berms. The Remedy shines when things start to get technical going down the hill. I believe this has do to with the bottom bracket, and not having to concentrate so much on where the crank is to clear obstacles. Both bikes jump really well, just seems as though i can get a bit more boost with the Fuel.
    General trail riding, both bikes are great pleasure to pedal but the Fuel does edge out Remedy with its ability to maintain its momentum over general trail obstacles. Again I believe this has to do with tires.
    Note that i run 24lbs in the front of the Remedy and 28lbs in the rear, 16lbs in the front of the Fuel and 18lbs in the rear, both with 25% sag. I weigh 230 lbs & I am 68" tall, now I'm not the fastest on my trail systems but I'm nowhere near the slowest. My Remedy is an 18.5 and Fuel is a 17.5, I have set the cockpits set up pretty close with less than quarter inch difference in reach, height is identical with 10mm difference in bar width.
    The bottom line for me is that if I'm going to go play on groomed trails, I'm taking the Fuel and less groomed and natural cut trails I'll have the Remedy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    The tires on the new EX are very awesome. Thanks for the review.