2012 Superfly 100 Elite how is the lateral stiffness?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006

2012 Superfly 100 Elite how is the lateral stiffness?

Right now I am currently riding a Ventana El Padrino and absolutely love it! It is a hard tail 29er. I have a real nice build on it and it weighs just a hair under 24 lbs. I am in the market for a Full suspension bike. I want either a 650b or 29 er I was looking at the Ventana El Rey but the stand over is a bit high for me even in the smallest size. I am 5' 6" and my inseam is 29". I have done some research online and I really like the geometry of the Trek Superfly 100 Elite. It looks like a real sweet bike. However my buddy who has an El Rey told me that the Superfly's don't nearly have the lateral stiffness of the Ventana's. Obviously the Trek will be much lighter because of the carbon frame but he says compared to the Ventana I won't get the laternal stiffness. What do you Trek fanatics say about this? I love my Ventana and really like the fact of buying American but I am not against buying a Trek.

Thanks,

Chuck

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm not a trek fanatic, but I do own a SF100 elite. Im 6' and about 190lbs. My previous bikes were mostly hard tail kleins, and some 6.4ti hard tails, which I
    rode hard. I'm used to lateral stiffness in my bikes, and can tell you that I have ZERO issues with this on the Sf100.
    Actually, until I read this thread I never even thought about it. That's how good it is.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The bonus with this bike is the SF100 carbon frames are made in Wisconsin. Have your cake and eat it, too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ww sunn View Post
    The bonus with this bike is the SF100 carbon frames are made in Wisconsin. Have your cake and eat it, too.
    I just left my local Trek store and that is the exact thing the manager of the store told me. I really like the manager of that store. He makes me want to buy from him. I did not get the same feeling at my LBS that sells Specialized. I was going to buy a Stumpjumper
    29er last spring but the guys in that shop were very unorganized, arrogant and lack a daysacle. I just didn't get a good feeling from them and won't buy from that shop again. I am leaning towards the Superfly 100 Elite and now that I know they are made in Madison it is almost a slam dunk.

Chuck

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I am 6'6" 245 pounds and ride an XL Superfly100 Pro Al. I am heavy and hard on bikes, my heft and riding style demand a rugged frame. I hammer the snot out of it and have no lateral flex complaints. The bike rips.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFCuddy View Post
    I am 6'6" 245 pounds and ride an XL Superfly100 Pro Al. I am heavy and hard on bikes, my heft and riding style demand a rugged frame. I hammer the snot out of it and have no lateral flex complaints. The bike rips.
    Thanks alot for the response. This information is very helpful to me when making my decision. Good to hear a vote of confidence from someone who rides that bike. I am 5' 6" and only weigh 165 so I won't be nearly as hard on a bike as you which makes the Trek look even better to me. Also if the Pro AL is stiff enough then the Carbon will probably be even stiffer. However someone mentioned in another thread that the Superfly 100 Elite is only 1 lb lighter than the AL Pro. If this is the case might be a better financial decision to go with the Pro AL. Can anyone confirm or deny this? I do also like the fact that the Carbon frame bikes are built in Madison, WI. I like to buy American made and that is why my other bike is a Ventana.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Super Fly 100 AL pro

Carbon is good choice, depending on your style. I had a HiFi Pro 26er (aluminum) four broken chain stays later I finally sold this bike. I also had a Fat Possum (GF) 6" travel all-mountain bike, loved it but cracked the frame just above the bottom bracket where the rear triangle support bushing was. Which brings me to the root beer rig, cracked the frame on this one just below the weld where the top tube joins the seat post. So obviously when my LBS suggested that perhaps I might not be a candidate for carbon, I took it with due consideration. I weigh 170lbs, 6' flat, so it may be more about my style and terrain which causes the problems. Thats why I'm ordering the SF100 AL Pro, hoping the double squish will save the frame from some of the big hits and rocky terrain. Local trails are hard pack (Middle Run/White Clay, Newark, De, yet I do get to some more technical trails too; French Creek, Rattling Creek, Wissahickon, Patapsco, Jim Thorpe, Susquehanna State Park, Elk Neck State, Park, Fair Hill NRMA, and Brandywine, oh ya, Marsh Creek, Harmony Hill, Rocky Ridge, Mt Gretna, etc. Point being carbon is great for racing, but everyday riding needs a more durable rig to hold up to the daily grind of riding. Also larger riders 180 & over need to check their riding style to see if they are even remotely a candidate. One of my buddies just cracked his Waterloo built, OCLV carbon frame Superfly hardtail, two weeks after he built it up! Did I mention that he only weighs 135 lbs?? Good luck, post up & let us know what you decided. PS Check out the new GT Zasker 9r 100, great carbon double squish bike at about 23lbs, with good build kit. test rode one for about 30 miles(prototype bike) coming to a LBS near you. Shout out to my buddy Brian for hooking me up at our annual Jamboree!
    Last edited by possumrider; 01-12-2012 at 02:36 PM. Reason: spelling

mtbr member
    After the first ride on it in October, mine felt like I was on rails. 17.5 size.

Ambi-Turner
    May 2010

Super Stiff

I just got a 2012 Superfly Pro 100. The stiffness of this frame is unbelievable. I'm running QR front and rear, but it's stiffer than my Rip9 with a 20ml up front and 10mm in the back. You can go 142x12 in the back to make it even stiffer, but for me, it's probably overkill as I'm not that heavy.

Buy it and you'll love it!
    Last edited by Throttlemire; 01-13-2012 at 09:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Throttlemire View Post
    I just got a 2012 Superfly Pro. The stiffness of this frame is unbelievable. I'm running QR front and rear, but it's stiffer than my Rip9 with a 20ml up front and 10mm in the back. You can go 142x12 in the back to make it even stiffer, but for me, it's probably overkill as I'm not that heavy.

Did you mean Superfly 100 Pro? I am only looking at the Full Suspension Trek bikes. I already have the most killer 29er Hardtail in my Ventana El Padrino. When you say Superfly Pro I am just wondering if you mean the Hardtail.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    If you are on a budget the aluminum SuperFly 100 Pro AL is a sweet deal with Shimano XT components, 15mm thru-axle, upgraded rear shox, and lighter wheels.

I got for the shop as a demo the Superfly 100 carbon. The two bikes with pedals weigh roughly the same coming in around 27 pounds for a 17.5" frame size.
    The components on the base model Superfly 100 carbon are SRAM X7 with X9 rear derailleur and a SRAM X5 crank...maybe a non series there are no markings to say which series or is recognizable in SRAM's parts catalog.
    I found the parts to perform sub-par. But if you want a nice carbon frame made here in the states the SuperFly is a great choice. You can always change and upgrade parts as things wear out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Throttlemire View Post
    I just got a 2012 Superfly Pro 100. The stiffness of this frame is unbelievable. I'm running QR front and rear, but it's stiffer than my Rip9 with a 20ml up front and 10mm in the back. You can go 142x12 in the back to make it even stiffer, but for me, it's probably overkill as I'm not that heavy.

Stock out of the box the 2012 Superfly100 Pro Al or Carbon comes with 15mm TA on the front and a 12x142mm TA on the rear. Did you buy the frame and build it up?

Ambi-Turner
    May 2010
    I actually bought the bike from MTBR classifieds. Frame is 2012, but all the rest is 2011. I've ordered 2012 XTR trail brakes and probably update the whees too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Anyone know if I can convert the front skewer/axle to a bigger size for more stiffness? I ride a 2010 SF 100 and love it, If I could stiffen that front end I bet I would love it more

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by wr420 View Post
    Anyone know if I can convert the front skewer/axle to a bigger size for more stiffness? I ride a 2010 SF 100 and love it, If I could stiffen that front end I bet I would love it more
    I have heard and read about people putting Thru Axle lowers on their Fox forks. It is not a cheap upgrade, you will need a new hub to handle the Thru Axle as well.

Ambi-Turner
    May 2010
    If you're running Bontrager RXL wheels, you can't convert them to 15mm. At least that's what LBS told me when I asked. The 2012 models come with 15mm fox forks, so there is a fork out there with the same offset in a 15mm.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    What about something like the DTswiss, isn't that like the old Specialized Scraxle, 10mm I think?

Members who have read this thread: 0