2011 Trek Fuel EX5 or 2008 Trek Fuel EX9- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2011

2011 Trek Fuel EX5 or 2008 Trek Fuel EX9

Hey guys,
    I currently own a 2011 trek fuel ex5. it has alum frame, bontrager ranger wheels, sram full driver train, avid juicy 3 brakes and front recon silver coil and fox rp2 in the back. the bike is new literally.

Now i was offered a 2008 trek fuel ex9 used for $1500 for that was alum frame, bontrager race lite wheels, sram xo in back and x9 in front and shifters, avid exilic carbon brakes, front talas 130 fork and rp3 rear shock.

Obviously the ex9 is better specked but is it really worth it? I think i can sell the ex5 for $1200 and put $300 difference to pay the $1500. i like the better specs but not sure because the bike is a 2008 model and resale value etc.... what do you guys think?

feel free to elaborate

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by tavorh1 View Post
    Hey guys,
    I currently own a 2011 trek fuel ex5. it has alum frame, bontrager ranger wheels, sram full driver train, avid juicy 3 brakes and front recon silver coil and fox rp2 in the back. the bike is new literally.

Now i was offered a 2008 trek fuel ex9 used for $1500 for that was alum frame, bontrager race lite wheels, sram xo in back and x9 in front and shifters, avid exilic carbon brakes, front talas 130 fork and rp3 rear shock.

Obviously the ex9 is better specked but is it really worth it? I think i can sell the ex5 for $1200 and put $300 difference to pay the $1500. i like the better specs but not sure because the bike is a 2008 model and resale value etc.... what do you guys think?

feel free to elaborate
    Did you buy your Ex 5 new? Does it fit you, size wise, well? Can you be happy with it as you slowly up grade your components? It's like a new bike every time you upgrade a component!

If your the original owner of the 5 you have a warranty; You won't on the 9. Watch chainlove.com and all the other online outfits for HIGHLY discounted components ; especially end of the year and when you can afford it, upgrade the components that you think need to be. You don't need a RP3 or a Talas 130. Sram X.0 can be obtained for cheap everywhere online. A couple of grams lighter in components won't make most of us that much faster; Leg muscles and stamina will.

If money is tight, then just stick with what you have and upgrade parts when able; It can be a hassle to sell bikes and you may regret all the trouble to get something marginally better or the same.

Plus you can't use a 142x12 rear hub with the '08 and YOU don't REALLY know how well it's been taken care of.

Good Luck

MTBP
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB Pilot View Post
    Did you buy your Ex 5 new? Does it fit you, size wise, well? Can you be happy with it as you slowly up grade your components? It's like a new bike every time you upgrade a component!

If your the original owner of the 5 you have a warranty; You won't on the 9. Watch chainlove.com and all the other online outfits for HIGHLY discounted components ; especially end of the year and when you can afford it, upgrade the components that you think need to be. You don't need a RP3 or a Talas 130. Sram X.0 can be obtained for cheap everywhere online. A couple of grams lighter in components won't make most of us that much faster; Leg muscles and stamina will.

If money is tight, then just stick with what you have and upgrade parts when able; It can be a hassle to sell bikes and you may regret all the trouble to get something marginally better or the same.

Plus you can't use a 142x12 rear hub with the '08 and YOU don't REALLY know how well it's been taken care of.

Good Luck

MTBP
    I bought the bike almost new. Everything fits perfect. Yes I am happy with the bike, but the only thing that keeps me from investing too much on it is the entry level silver coil recon and other possible pricey upgrades I'd have to do like wheels or component upgrades.

I want a bike that I upgrade without any substantially pricey upgrade like fork. what are your thoughts? i appreciate your help

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I don't think $1500 for a 2008 EX 9 is that great of a deal.

mtbr member
    Not trying to SPAM here but I have my 2011 EX 9.8 up in the classifieds right now. Frame and fork for $1500

--Price Drop--Trek Fuel EX 9.8 frame and Fox fork - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

74 & 29 pilot
    Quote Originally Posted by ssc280 View Post
    I don't think $1500 for a 2008 EX 9 is that great of a deal.
    NO, I don't think that is a "great" deal.

Quote Originally Posted by shanem View Post
    Not trying to SPAM here but I have my 2011 EX 9.8 up in the classifieds right now. Frame and fork for $1500

--Price Drop--Trek Fuel EX 9.8 frame and Fox fork - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories
    This is a GOOD deal if it's the right size. Much better than the 2008, even though it's a complete bike.

ssc,

I don't know what's best for you, but my perspective comes from a "gear head" that can afford want he wants. It's really a personal situation as far as your finances. Don't stretch your funds or sacrifice the essentials for an older bike.

Good luck with your decision. Whatever you do, ride it hard and often!

MTBP
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The EX9 is a better bike. However it is only worth $1500
    if it is new. I sold a 2008 EX9 two years ago and it was mint
    for $1600.

Best, John

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Great suggestion with that new frame. Looks great, but I don't have the money to built it. I am looking for a good deal for $1500 complete bike

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Keep the EX5 and upgrade the components.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Good food for thought... I'm facing a similar dilemma with new vs used EX8 (and I'm leaning to the former)

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tavorh1 View Post
    I am looking for a good deal for $1500 complete bike
    You already have a good bike, quit looking and go ride!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Not sure it a great deal and also what kind of mileage does it have, assuming it is not new? I would stay with the new bike - you know the history.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I wish I sprung for the higher model, I ended up with the ex6 2010 and it would be nice to have the fox shocks up front vs the rock shox.