2010 Trek Top Fuel 8 vs 2011 Trek Fuel EX 8- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011

New question here. 2010 Trek Top Fuel 8 vs 2011 Trek Fuel EX 8

Hi - complete newbie here, been bashing the last 12 months on a geneic hardtail and looking to go to a full suspension setup.

Mainly riding on quick single track, firetrail and the odd technical (drops only 2 ft) - between 1 - 3 hours at a time (depending on the mood) and have the opportunity to purchase at the same price either a
    • 2010 Top Fuel 8
    • 2011 Fuel Ex 8

Have read various reviews around the pros and cons of each, am planning on a couple of 50km races per year but as heading into late 30's unlikely to be seeking any podium finishes and just want something that is fun to bash on the weekend that is not too much of a pain on the 20km uphill slogs I do on a semi regular basis

Any views on which is more suitable - am average weight / height / skill and looking to spend my hard earned $$ soon...

cheers

David
    Last edited by David S - Sydney; 01-11-2011 at 04:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    The two bikes are very different. Your description clearly calls for the EX. The Top Fuel should probably never leave the ground, maybe 1ft or less, but it won't be much fun doing it. The EX however is a great distance trail bike and a blast to ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Fuel EX would be my choice here. The 2010 Top Fuel 8 seems to be an answer to a question no one is asking, and the fact that my LBS has 4 of them sitting outside on uber clearance confirms my thoughts I'm not sure the need/desire for a short travel 26" aluminum race bike. Go carbon or 29er for a race bike or stick to the Fuel EX.

-Tom

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Thanks for this guys - I had originally accidentally put the EX 8 as a 2010 model but is in fact 2011. Looks like the EX appears the better option and will look at upgrading in the next week

David

Trail Rider
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/catego...-ex-8-10-36868 (Review of the '10)

The '11 is basically the same, new colors and 10 speed in back now.
    2020 Turbo Levo SL Expert Carbon

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Thanks again - all sorted. Pick up on Saturday morning and planning to spend the weekend hitting some trails.

cheers

David

Members who have read this thread: 0