120MM rear shock & 100MM front fork: How bad?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

120MM rear shock & 100MM front fork: How bad?

So the good news is I got a new 2011 Fuel Ex 9 frame & rear shock on order because my 2005 EX 9 frame cracked.

LBS just called that new frame is in...a couple hundred bucks to transfer parts and put on new cables. So an essentially new bike for very little money. Nice.

BUT... the old EX had 100MM travel, while the 2011 has 120MM. So they are mating the old front fork @100MM with the new rear shock @ 120MM.

An exact replacement Fox 32 F-Series Fit RLC retails for about $800, which I'd prefer not to spend, at least this season.

How big of a deal will this be?

mtbr member
    you can balance it out by setting your sag lower in the rear shock. go to manual online where they have instructions on how to set up your shock with air pressure, have someone at the LBS help you. they should know what to do.
    2010 Fuel EX9: Eat Paleo, Feel Great!
    Dirt is Natural, Pavement is Un-natural, Stay Dirty My Friends!

mtbr member
    PM'd

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutbert
    you can balance it out by setting your sag lower in the rear shock. go to manual online where they have instructions on how to set up your shock with air pressure, have someone at the LBS help you. they should know what to do.
    I would advise against that band-aid. Setup the rear suspension for proper sag to give best performance. Setting it up "soft" will lower the BB height , wallow or bottomout. Ride it w/ the 100mm fork and it it feels unbalanced buy the proper travel fork - doesn't have to be a $800 Fox.
    Last edited by keen; 05-06-2011 at 01:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kenpress
    So the good news is I got a new 2011 Fuel Ex 9 frame & rear shock on order because my 2005 EX 9 frame cracked.

LBS just called that new frame is in...a couple hundred bucks to transfer parts and put on new cables. So an essentially new bike for very little money. Nice.

BUT... the old EX had 100MM travel, while the 2011 has 120MM. So they are mating the old front fork @100MM with the new rear shock @ 120MM.

An exact replacement Fox 32 F-Series Fit RLC retails for about $800, which I'd prefer not to spend, at least this season.

How big of a deal will this be?
    A lot of the OEM "100mm" F-series were simply 120mm forks with a 20mm travel reducer installed. It's not a super hard thing to change yourself, but if you're not mechanically inclined it's something a shop can do for you no problem. If you've gone a few years without servicing the fork, it's time to do that anyway and adjusting the travel is a piece of cake at that point.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks keen. That's what I was planning to do... Riding around the parking lot definitely felt like there is an imbalance, but I'm also not used to that extra 20 mm in the rear. VERY kushy ride. Can't wait to get it on the trail.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    What you do is just take out the stock 20mm travel spacer in your 100mm Fox that would then make it a 120mm Fox. Good time to upgrade the lowers to 15QR and take use of that 142mm 12QR in the rear too with some new wheels. Do it.

Members who have read this thread: 1