10 Trek Fuel ex 8 shifting- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

10 Trek Fuel ex 8 shifting

Anyone have probs with their 10 Trek Fuel Ex 8 shifting? Mine doesn't always shift when you shift it. It's like you need to shift it a few times before it shifts. I have tightened all that I could but it never seems to completely solve the problem. I have had mine tuned up by Trek and by my LBS but it sill acts the same. Do I need to upgrade? Would going to a 2011 SRAM X.0 10spd Long Cage work better?
    2014 Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I have the same bike and problem. It always happens in the range of the middle gears. Been to the LBS also to have it tuned up and same prob occurs on and off. I have found that sometimes when leaves or other debri get caught up in the cassette this seems to happen. I'm not 100% sure if this the root problem or other adjustments are needed but most of the time when this happens there something stuck on the cassette. Do let us know if you find the problem.
    Civilian Young Turk 29er

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    At this point I am ready to just upgrade the components. I can't justify wasting money to get it looked all the time.
    Any suggestion on components to upgrade too?
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Upgrades solely depend on how much your willing to spend and brand preference. If you want top of the line and stick with Shimano, you can upgrade to XTR line or SRAM's XX or X0 line. I would suggest looking to see what the actual prob is though before spending the money and having the same prob with upgraded components.
    Civilian Young Turk 29er

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I also have a 2010 Fuel Ex 8. I didn't have problems with shifting, however, I wanted a lower granny gear than the stock 32 tooth so I could spend 99% of my time in the middle chainring.
    So I bought a 34 tooth XT cassette and an SLX crank. They are stiffer, shift better, more durable, and I even shaved off a few grams. I'm very happy with my gear ratios - I was just at the new improved Emma Carlin trails today (awesome!) and felt really "in tune" with my bike. An affordable upgrade that really can be felt and appreciated.
    Tim

mtbr member
    Check the tension on the section of cable housing that wraps around the seat tube for the rear derailleur. I have had issues when replacing the cabling on my EX 9 and not having enough slack in this area. It will play havoc on your shifting.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Had the same problem with my 2009 Ex8, replaced the SRAM PG970 11-32, 9 speed cassette by an XT and problem fixed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Hmmm now that I think about it my lbs replaced my cassette with a cheapo one when I first got the bike (used) and I have been having problems since....
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    If you've got a cheap acassette, then by all means get soemthing like a PG970/LX or better, but don't overlook the cables either. The cables might be cut too short as another poster suggested and that can easily cause shifting issue, maybe somewhere in the run (not familiar with the EX) there's a point where the cable makes a weird/steep angular change and that's causing issues that maybe a re-route would solve. Cables are WAY cheaper than cassettes or other drivetrail parts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Same bike here and I’ve battled with the rear shifting from day one. I replaced the cassette and chain (both with XT) early spring for regular maintenance. Had a bad spill recently and replaced the rear derailleur (XT agian) and swapped the derailleur hanger and cables/housings while I was at it. So basically a new rear end and now it shifts great, or really how it should have shifted to begin with.

Only thing I did differently was adjusted the cable housing length from the last interruption to the rear derailleur. Seemed a bit too long the way it was originally done and was pushing on the derailleur from being too cramped up back there, that's my guess at least.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    What components did you go with?
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    XT everything. Derailleur, cassette, and chain.

Also when I had both derailleurs off, there as night and day difference between the spring tension of the new and old derailleur. Normal I guess.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I have never noticed any problems on my 2011 ex8, but I tend to keep it in impeccable condition, I clean the cassette, chain and mech regularly. I do think the rear derailleur spring on the slx is a little soft or something because it will ghost shift if anything disturbs it like a stick or really jarring bumps.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    even a cheap drivetrain, if setup correctly, should not have the problems you're describing. I'd learn to work on your own bike for small things like adjusting derailleurs/cables/brakes before replacing parts. I built a $4 rack to hold the bike off the ground, and from there you can learn how to adjust your entire drivetrain. If you have the time to learn, you should go for it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I've had the same niggling problem on my ex8 09. After yesterday's ride it was the last straw. So I got stuck into it today and sorted it hopefully.

Dry cables were the culprit. But to be fair it's never been excellent shifting. My old 8 spd xt setup shifts like lightning compared to the ex8's setup and its 16 year old. My slx shifters were really hard to push. Squirted lube in cable entry to shifter and it's loosened them up and lubed all cables. Now 10 times better but still does not have the instant snap shifting I'm used to on my older mtb and new road bikes.

No matter how much fine adjustment on the work stand I cannot get a quick shift for love nor money.

Chain now worn .75 so will replace with xt chain and cassette and even thinking of lashing a load more dosh on xt shifters and goretex cables.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Ok I have decided to get some components... Trying to decide to stay with Shimano or go SRAM lol
    9 or 10sp
    This is giving me a headache...
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Make sure you get fresh, good quality cables. My 08 EX8's shifting was transformed when I recently swapped the original cables for some new Jagwire Hyper cables. Plus the annoying skipping in the middle gears went away. I did have to tweak the cable tension after the first rides but that's normal. As an aside the Bontrager cable set I used on my son's EX8 (LBS was out of Jagwire so used other LBS) needed more retensioning and tweaking to get it to settle and stop skipping plus it was short one ferrule. I would recommend Jagwire or Shimano XTR cable kits, unless you have the $$ and patience for a Gore setup.
    2009 Redline Conquest Pro, 2008 Trek Fuel Ex8
    2007 Kona Cinder Cone utility bike
    Yes I spent too much on bikes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I had my cables replaced yesterday and it helped some but it still gets stuck on 1 gear when I go up and down. LBS couldn't figure it out!

Do I stick with the 9sp Shimano setup and try new shifters or cassette?
    Or go SRAM? I got a good deal on a new SRAM x.9 10sp rear derail. but I would need to be the other components also...can't for the life of my decide on where to sink my money into..
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

Afric Pepperbird
    That happened to me, too, when I bought the bike last year. The local LBS could not fix it.

I eventually wanted an 11x34 cassette, so I got one of those, thinking it would help. It did not....; the mechanic still noticed it with the new cassette. He then decided to try a new chain. Bingo!! that solved the problem; luckily, the chain was no charge. I wonder if some of them come equipped with the wrong chains??

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Hi folks. I'm new to forum and mountain biking. I've been considering a fuel ex 8. Is this shifting problem limited to the ex 8 or is it something with all the fuel ex's?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I've had no problems shifting on my 2009 Fuel EX 9.8 with XT 3x9 drivetrain. Though seeing how the frames are virtually the same except for material (aluminum vs. carbon), it's most likely the build kit and component spec.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I have had no problems with my EX 9 shifting. It's perfect, but I taught myself to adjust it and keep it tuned correctly.

mtbr member
    how often do you do the tune up?

mtbr member
    you do it on your own?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    yeah, it's nothing complicated. Just twisting the cable barrels here and there as the cables stretch a bit (which happens after only a short time on a new set of cables). An easy check is to watch the position of the rear d. sprocket, it should be centered on the cassette cogs. You can turn the barrels 1/4 or 1/2 turn and the bike will stay in the same gear, but shifting won't be as clean. I find the adjustments work best if you shift all the way down to slacken the cables first, then twist the barrels, then shift back to the same gear.

Remember that cable barrels are opposite of the standard rule, righty loosey, lefty tighty

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Oh, I've also spent a few hours getting the front d. positioned correctly and setting the limit screws front and rear when I changed my '10 EX9 to 2x9. But, this is not part of my standard tuning/cleaning since you set those and forget about em.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I know this doesn't have really anything to do about this thread but I am new on here and it won't let me start a new one. I have a question for anyone and everyone. I am new into biking and loving it! I am looking into 2 used bikes one is a 2008 Trek Fuel EX8 for $1100 ( is that a good price?) or a 2011 GT Zaskar Expert 29er for $950....any thoughts??? Thanks alot!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by g-dawg View Post
    Hi folks. I'm new to forum and mountain biking. I've been considering a fuel ex 8. Is this shifting problem limited to the ex 8 or is it something with all the fuel ex's?
    I've never had a 'problem' with my 2010 EX8 shifting, although occassionally it has not shifted completely and in the very first hint of a climb it snaps to the correct gear. Nothing traumatic, just a 'dink.. next gear'.

I did have to change the chain and cassette out (replaced with same models) after around 7 months of heavy riding.. chain split open on one of the links on a steep climb.

Otherwise, I've never done anything to maintain it save for the first post-cable-stretch tune up.

I don't ride in mud because it damages trails... maybe that makes a difference. But there is alot of talcum like powdered dirt all over the bike all the time and I rarely bother to wash it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    And I thought I was being paranoid. My 2010 Ex8 has shifting issues as well. For some strange reason, since day 1 purchase, I've had problems shifting up from the 2nd cog (small) to the 3rd. I went to the bike shop twice and they have no idea why. They even switched the rear deraileur and nothing. So I've been riding the bike as is. When trying to shift from the 2nd cog to the next largest, it just keeps clinking and clinking, and wouldn't shift. So I've completely been skipping that gear all to gether.

But then I decided to do my own rear d adjustment; loosened up the rear d cable, check smallest sprocket rear with largest front and see if there were any noise and checking for alignment. Everything was fine. Then checked the largest sprocket in the back with the small front sprocket and everything was fine. So I know the high/low screws are okay. Tightened the rear cable, then did the barrel adjustment for the shifts, and no matter what, it still happened, it clinks and clinks going from the 2nd smallest sprocket to the next.

I even cleaned the chain; where I took it out, degreased it, scrubbed it, and then greased it again. Cleaned and scrubbed the cassette, cleaned out the rear d pulleys and tried again. Still, the same thing.

So from what I've read above, I do agree where it could be a build kit issue.

If by changing the chain will solve this issue (and I'm looking into the 9sp xt chain), then it will be well worth it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Same here man! Gets stuck in those 2 gears.....
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by v3biker View Post
    If by changing the chain will solve this issue (and I'm looking into the 9sp xt chain), then it will be well worth it.
    That's what solved it for me. It's worth a try.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JAGGY View Post
    My old 8 spd xt setup shifts like lightning compared to the ex8's setup and its 16 year old.
    Ding, Ding, Ding! We have a winner!

I built up a 2010 Remedy with a 2x8 setup and love the shifting. Why, Because I never had issues with 8spd stuff for the 6 years I ran it. I've worked on bikes for 10+ years and am familiar on how to make a bike shift great. New cables and housing are rule #1. Sometimes you have to replace them every month if you're in mud and stuff, but it will make a world of a difference. One of the biggest problems I've seen lately is the stupid "Shadow" derailleur. It gives you a tiny amount of clearance, but sacrifices shifting. When they come in the shop, they shift up fine, but miss one of two clicks on the way down or vice-versa. We started noticing this two years ago. And then there's the 10spd stuff!
    We can make a 9spd feel brand new with any derailleur (minus the shadow). The Shadow and 10spd are being a real pain in the asss though. It's fine on a road bike, but as soon as you throw dirt and mud into the gears and cables, forget it! Fahn
    Hubbard Bike Club

Members who have read this thread: 0