04 Fuel 100...Ya or Na? Frame breakage issues....- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

04 Fuel 100...Ya or Na? Frame breakage issues....

I am "Considering" buying a 2004 Fuel frame, but all the reports of frame breakage issues has me a bit worried. I'm 185-190 lbs and pretty much use the bike strictly for XC racing. I know Trek has a pretty easy warranty. Ya or Na on the purchase?
    Any difference between the 03 and 04 frames other than color. 03 used frames are selling at some prett decent prices.
    Any suggestions on where to get a good deal on a new 04 frame?

Thanks,
    KMan

mtbr member
    i think as long as you don't do any decent drops and watch the frame for scratches in the epoxy then it should be fine. i've always heard trek's warantee replacement program is really great so if you break it they should replace it. but the real problem in breaking the thing is how fast you're going and where you are if and when the thing breaks. the front sid and the bontrager xXx race wheels are crazy light but also should be used carefully compared to some of the wheels used lower in the model range. if you're really worried about breaking a frame then you should go for the fuel 95 or another aluminum framed bike (the kona kikapu's seem to have a similar suspension design and get great reviews by people i know that have ridden them) and then upgrade if you need to. i know from personal experiece that the zr9000 frame used by the lower fuels seems to be really tough and the oclv stuff should be able to hang with really lightweight aluminum stuff. good luck with the decision.

mtbr member
    I hammered on a 04 Fuel 100 for about a month, 6'2 210lbs. If i had the chance I would go with the Fuel 100 over my Fuel 80 frame any day it just feels better on the trail, accelarated great, and the low wieght of the whole bike made a big difference on my lap times and on my body.

Since I only used it for a month I can't say how well it will hold up in the long haul but in that month it did just fine for me riding it 4-5 times a week for a couple hours at a time. Like you said Trek has one of the best warenty's and are easy to deal with.

BTW what kind of prices are they getting for the Fuel 100 frames?
    Last edited by Murchman; 01-06-2004 at 07:53 AM.

mtbr member

Retail is anywhere.....

from about $1800 to $2000. I haven't talked price with the shop yet.

Thanks,
    KMan

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I racked up almost 2,000 miles on my 03 Trek Fuel last season. I am 6 foot and 170lbs - I ride mostly XC - no problems with the frame at all.

3D guy

We the people ... 02 Fuel 100 (Al front, Carbon rear)

First of all, I like my Fuel. I would say it is a great XC race bike and an okay all purpose XC bike. I like to ride my SC Blur and my single speed Chameleon as everyday bikes more than the Fuel. I put in a year and some on the Fuel only, found it was super fast but a bit harsher that I wanted for an everyday full suspension bike (this is compared to other fully's). So overall I like the design as a "go fast XC bike"...

My problems...

I dropped the bike (yes, it was my fault that it hit the ground but this is no more than I have done to the other 5 mountain bikes over the 15 years I have been riding mountain bikes). I have owned a Cannondale, a Klein, a Fuel, a Blur and a Chameleon. The Fuel is the only one I worry about damaging with minor impacts... When the bike was dropped the Carbon seat stay cracked. The shop manager was with me and went to bat with Trek that it should not have failed and be warranty . No dice, paid over a hundred dollars to replace the stay and now the rear triangle does not seem quite right (but that is another matter). Asked for the original stay back, it indeed has a wall that is noticeably thinner at the point where it broke. Additionally, the new stay is of definitely different construction that the old one (could be batch to batch differences though). In any case, I have no clue whether this was a freak failure or a pattern. I do know the shop had two or three (one guy's twice I believe) Fuel frame failures on the aluminum frames (which obviously would not apply to current Fuel 100 which are all carbon).

Bottom line for me is that the stay should not have failed (before you flame me on this understand this is my I personally opinion as I do not believe any mountain bike should fail that easily, no matter what the manufacture and keep reading...) To this end I will not purchase a carbon tubed bike, Trek or not. Being a aerospace engineering by training, I know a bit about materials but not enough to have a clue whether one bike is designed robustly to resist minor impacts to the side of the carbon weave. So this is not a Trek thing, just a carbon thing. I like it that I can dent aluminum and it will survive without me having to replacement work. I just do not think I know enough to make an informed decision and, since the warranty does not cover ANY impact damage (stone, tree, pebble, chain, does not matter) even in what one might consider normal use, I can't rely on the manufacturer covering my butt if I have chosen poorly.

Do I fault Trek? No, not really. I personally think carbon is a little delicate when handling forces perpendicular to the designed loading (obviously when used a manufacturers are using it, as one could build a solid carbon bike that would be super robust) and obviously does not bend but will crack and once cracked will need to be replaced. So buying any carbon mountain bike makes one make the same evaluation. I would buy a Trek carbon road bike as I think the use characteristics are much different and carbon is a good material for the road.

My two cents, based on a single bike, so it may or may not be at all representative of other folks experiences.

What ever you get, have fun damn it!!!

BTW, the SID I have is super light but also flexy. I did not notice until i rode a Fox Float or a Manitou Minute. Good fork but built for light weight and not super stiffness.

Geoff

jcw

Dec 2003

Just remember that that great Trek warranty...

Quote Originally Posted by KMan
    I am "Considering" buying a 2004 Fuel frame, but all the reports of frame breakage issues has me a bit worried. I'm 185-190 lbs and pretty much use the bike strictly for XC racing. I know Trek has a pretty easy warranty. Ya or Na on the purchase?
    Any difference between the 03 and 04 frames other than color. 03 used frames are selling at some prett decent prices.
    Any suggestions on where to get a good deal on a new 04 frame?

Thanks,
    KMan
    only applies to the original purchaser, so if you buy used, you get no warranty. I personally would not buy a used carbon anything. A new 03 on closeout is another matter entirely.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just dont buy a trek fullstop

Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by KleinAttitude
    Just dont buy a trek fullstop
    Who made you the expert, KleinReject?
    Last edited by Spaz; 01-28-2004 at 09:59 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Help I have a stalker. This guy keeps follwing me around these boards. Everywhere I post hes there. I think hes jealous and just wants to have a bike like mine. The women prefer my one over his everytime.

Hes a big bloke with a dodgy hairdo and tash. If you see him around keep out of his way. Hes a bit dodge as he likes men in mtb shorts.

Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by KleinDork
    Hes a big bloke with a dodgy hairdo and tash. If you see him around keep out of his way. Hes a bit dodge as he likes men in mtb shorts.
    First, if I'm as big as you say, people shouldn't have trouble seeing me around. As for liking men in mtb shorts, I'll let my wife know. . . .

Funny, though, how your latest attempt at a comeback automatically goes to the ****phobic approach.

As for stalking, yeah, okay. Call it what you will. Perhaps you should spend your time in the Vintage Bikes forum. There's a great thread complete with pictures going on about your beloved Klein.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Perhaps you should get some good taste. As well as in bikes.

Dec 2003
    Okay, now this ignore feature is really cool! I can only assume that KleinMoron has responded to me, but I can't tell because his messages are hidden. Perhaps, when he actually starts posting some decent stuff, I'll see what he has to say.

mtbr member
    Don't feed the trolls

Jan 2004

much of a difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Murchman
    I hammered on a 04 Fuel 100 for about a month, 6'2 210lbs. If i had the chance I would go with the Fuel 100 over my Fuel 80 frame any day it just feels better on the trail, accelarated great, and the low wieght of the whole bike made a big difference on my lap times and on my body.

Since I only used it for a month I can't say how well it will hold up in the long haul but in that month it did just fine for me riding it 4-5 times a week for a couple hours at a time. Like you said Trek has one of the best warenty's and are easy to deal with.

BTW what kind of prices are they getting for the Fuel 100 frames?

murchman would you know if there is much of a difference in weight between the zr9000 fuel and the carbon version,the rear carbon triangle is the same on some zr models as the carbon front triangle versions ie i dont think there is much difference between the carbon and zr 9000 front triangles in fact i'm not sure if the front carbon triangle is haevier than the zr!

Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Murchman
    Don't feed the trolls
    Who? Me?

As for the Fuel 100, I would have to say that the color scheme is pretty appealing, if one values that.

I would like to give some profound piece of advice about getting the '04 Fuel, but I don't have experience on the carbon models. The SLR aluminum, however, is certainly a nice bike. It's my primary ride (as I've said in other threads). If I were to get a bike for racing, I would certainly consider the Fuel.

mtbr member
    Not really sure on that but I bet if you shoot an email to trek they could give you the weights on them.

After doing a complete cleaning of my ZR9000 Fuel I am not so sure I would go carbon anymore unless I was racing. My current Fuel is my every day bike and as such during my cleaning of it I must have found a couple dozen scratches and nicks from trail debris that I am sure would probably have done more damage to the carbon then just remove the paint like it did on mine.

One of the big areas that has some pretty good wear is the rear stay arch that the tires passes through, between the mud and leaves getting caught back there the paint and pretty gouged up and I am not so sure the carbon could take that kind of abuse. Anyone have experience with the carbon back there?

Members who have read this thread: 0