Transition Spur- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Transition Spur

mtbr member
    May 2020

mtbr member
    They sure did their homework. If “Down country” had a dictionary entry, they’d just put a picture of the Spur...no words needed....people would understand.

mtbr member
    They sure have their videos/marketing nailed. Another win!

Aside: I notice how quiet the bike is...I like quiet bikes (bikes...not hubs!)

First review?

(I don't know Clint Gibbs, but he seems to know what he's doing)

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Looks great, its making choosing a potential new bike a nightmare, was all set on the Scout, then thought it a bit much and heavy, then liked the Mojo 4, now this.

Seat tube looks long, and reach small for a medium compared to the Scout/Mojo 4 as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    It’s probably a really fun bike, however, no over fork, and only room for 2.4 tires?

EMBA MTB Lead Instructor
    You can over-fork the new bikes with no issue.
    Life is easy. Figure out the price of whatever it is you want, then pay that price.

mtbr member
    The Spur looks really fun. Transition is nailing it with these new bikes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I really want one of these with a DPX2 on it. The website says that they are not compatible with a piggyback, but I don't understand why. Looks like even at bottom out it would fit?

mtbr member
    Is it a single pivot design vs 4-bar?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thustlewhumber View Post
    You can over-fork the new bikes with no issue.
    Transition specifically says that they do not recommend a fork longer than 120mm. On the other hand, Ibis and Revel (the other 2 bikes I'm considering) both say you can over-fork by 10mm (or more). With 120mm out back, a 130mm fork seems like a natural fit.
    Sycip Ti Gravel
    Ibis Ripley 4

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by skiahh View Post
    Is it a single pivot design vs 4-bar?
    Single pivot with flex-seatstays and a linkage-driven shock. It's essentially the same design as a Scott Spark, Specialized Epic, Kona Hei Hei, NS Synonym, and a few others, although that's not to say they'll all necessarily ride the same.

mtbr member
    Looks like a copy of a norco optic....no alloy frame, no care.
    The bike is never to heavy, you are just to WEAK!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cchough View Post
    Transition specifically says that they do not recommend a fork longer than 120mm. On the other hand, Ibis and Revel (the other 2 bikes I'm considering) both say you can over-fork by 10mm (or more). With 120mm out back, a 130mm fork seems like a natural fit.
    That surprised me too, especially as the Spur seems to be replacing the Smuggler (for now, at least). I think it looks like a great bike for it's intended purpose, but I think there will be many people who will be looking for something more like the Smuggler or Scout that rides well beyond what you'd traditionally expect from a bike of that travel.

The Spur definitely fills a niche but also leaves a big gap between it and the Sentinel, and I'm excited about what might fill that gap.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I don't want to be too much of a downer, but it seems heavy, expensive, geometry that doesn't seem like it would climb great, yet it has limited travel so it wouldn't be much of a shredder on the way down.

I've obviously not ridden it and it could be one of those bikes that's more than the sum of its parts, but spec-wise, I'm not that impressed.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by David R View Post
    That surprised me too, especially as the Spur seems to be replacing the Smuggler (for now, at least). I think it looks like a great bike for it's intended purpose, but I think there will be many people who will be looking for something more like the Smuggler or Scout that rides well beyond what you'd traditionally expect from a bike of that travel.

The Spur definitely fills a niche but also leaves a big gap between it and the Sentinel, and I'm excited about what might fill that gap.
    I'd guess the Smuggler will reappear next year with the new frame design, maybe a 125 or 130mm rear?

Quote Originally Posted by msrothwe View Post
    I don't want to be too much of a downer, but it seems heavy, expensive, geometry that doesn't seem like it would climb great, yet it has limited travel so it wouldn't be much of a shredder on the way down.

I've obviously not ridden it and it could be one of those bikes that's more than the sum of its parts, but spec-wise, I'm not that impressed.
    Did you bother to read or watch any of the reviews of the bike? It apparently climbs like a rocket and, at 25# for the high end spec, certainly doesn't seem heavy to me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    25# for the high end spec, certainly doesn't seem heavy to me.
    25# is ****ing heavy for a $9000 “xc” bike. Bet you the “low end” $5000 bike is pushing 30 pounds.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    I had narrowed my selection down to Revel Ranger or Yeti SB100/115. This bike has really got my interest. I live in Denver and mostly ride at places like Buffalo Creek and Centennial Cone, with the occasional ride in gnarly terrain like Enchanted Forrest/Apex. Seems like this would be perfect for my kind of riding. Also doing Leadville 100 next year, this bike in the X01 build would be the lightest and least expensive of all the options I'm considering.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    25# is ****ing heavy for a $9000 “xc” bike. Bet you the “low end” $5000 bike is pushing 30 pounds.
    Well considering this is not a XC bike......it’s an All Country bike.....it’s not heavy. I agree it’s expensive, but for what the purpose of the bike is designed for and TR’s build quality when it comes durability it’s perfectly acceptable.

If you look at the other bike lines the difference between GX build and NX build for Scout and Sentinel for example, the difference is 1/2 pound so no it won’t be 30 pounds.

People who are going to buy this bike are not buying to race XC, or buy it for XC only style riding. You could probably race it, but TR built this bike for All Country, not XC.

Creating a new category, I like it. There will always be critics and people who don’t “get it”, I get it TR. This bike may finally convince me to try 29er.....still love my 27.5 wheels.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Rumor on the internet is the Smuggler is dead. Considering the Sentinel can be run 150f/140r, that doesn't leave a very large gap to fill between it and the Spur anyway. I'm a little surprised they didn't at least make the Spur compatible with a 130mm fork, though. It says they don't recommend it, but I wonder if it would void the warranty.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BluePitch View Post
    .....it’s an All Country bike.....
    Oooh inbound keyboard warriors raging in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...

But yeah, the Spur isn't an XC bike, and geometry doesn't have any great effect on how efficiently a bike climbs on smooth terrain, and the Spurs geo will actually be an advantage on technical climbs IMO.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Oooh inbound keyboard warriors raging in 3 ... 2 ... 1 ...

But yeah, the Spur isn't an XC bike, and geometry doesn't have any great effect on how efficiently a bike climbs on smooth terrain, and the Spurs geo will actually be an advantage on technical climbs IMO.
    The warriors will always rage....I'm digging it!

Transition Spur-spurcapture.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Well considering this is not a XC bike......it’s an All Country bike....
    Lol....

Where’s my Jennifer Lawrence “Okay” gif when I need it?

mtbr member
    To steal from Skiahhh: Did you bother to read or watch any of the reviews of the bike?

The "low end" bike is 26.9. Get a pair of XC wheels, shit-can the tubes, and the boatanchor cassette and you're looking at sub 25#...which is very respectable.

The high end also comes with tubes and a few burlier components than your average XC race bike. If you went "frame only" and put lightweight XC components, I bet you get it to ~ 23.

Trek Top Fuel 9.9 ($9000) is 24.5# (with no tubes); Yeti SB100 with GX is ~28.5 and $5600; the high-end is $7900 and 26.8.(115 - 27.4/$8000). new Hei Hei - 26.8; Ryve115 - 24.5; YT Izzo ~27#; Ranger XO1 - 27#/$7199 (Spur - $5999/25.2).

It's not a WC-XC bike...and doesn't claim to be. It is, at least, in the ballpark (and mostly lighter than) bikes that are in the same category/intention.

If you're gonna shit all over something, at least know what you're talking about.

mtbr member
    any idea on what the change would look like by reducing the shock stroke to 100mm travel?

transition mentions that but doesn’t say much on what to expect from that, same eye-2-eye but shorter stroke would not affect geo but does it give you anything other than maybe a stiffer feeling rear end suspension?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post
    any idea on what the change would look like by reducing the shock stroke to 100mm travel?

transition mentions that but doesn’t say much on what to expect from that, same eye-2-eye but shorter stroke would not affect geo but does it give you anything other than maybe a stiffer feeling rear end suspension?
    I own a bike that you can run a shorter stroke shock so I reached out to the manufacturer and asked what the change would be.

Essentially in the initial stroke, and mid stoke there would be very little change.

It’s not until you get into the last portion of the travel that you would miss out on some of the kinematics built into the suspension curve.

On my bike the suspension has a lot of progression built into the last portion of the travel. So by running a shorter stroke it wouldn’t ramp up as much and have as much progression. This would make it more linear....easier to bottom out than the longer stroke.

The suspension curves listed on TR’s website on the Spur look identical except for the very last part where the 120mm has a curve that starts to climb up, where that small climb is missing from 100mm.

I’m not an engineer, and by looking at the curves it seems like the same effect I was told.

Going from 120mm to 100mm you would lose the last portion of the kinematics......which is progression to prevent bottoming out. So slightly less progressive suspension.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    I'm curious if the seat tube is the limiter for tire clearance and running less travel lets you run larger tires. Other than that, I don't see why you'd want to limit it. With less travel and less progression at the end (as the previous poster explained), you'd need to either add volume reducers to add shock progression or increase pressure, or both. So yes, you'd get a stiffer feeling with 100mm travel, but if that's what you're after, why not just run 120mm with higher pressure? Maybe it's for less pedal strikes when sinking deep into travel? Or if the Spur is compatible with a 100mm fork, then limiting the rear to 100mm as well would keep it feeling balanced front to rear.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    To steal from Skiahhh: Did you bother to read or watch any of the reviews of the bike?

The "low end" bike is 26.9. Get a pair of XC wheels, shit-can the tubes, and the boatanchor cassette and you're looking at sub 25#...which is very respectable.

The high end also comes with tubes and a few burlier components than your average XC race bike. If you went "frame only" and put lightweight XC components, I bet you get it to ~ 23.

Trek Top Fuel 9.9 ($9000) is 24.5# (with no tubes); Yeti SB100 with GX is ~28.5 and $5600; the high-end is $7900 and 26.8.(115 - 27.4/$8000). new Hei Hei - 26.8; Ryve115 - 24.5; YT Izzo ~27#; Ranger XO1 - 27#/$7199 (Spur - $5999/25.2).

It's not a WC-XC bike...and doesn't claim to be. It is, at least, in the ballpark (and mostly lighter than) bikes that are in the same category/intention.

If you're gonna shit all over something, at least know what you're talking about.
    I read the MTBR review, but it didn't seem to be anything but a press release copy and paste. Most of the reviews are worthless anyways, just paid marketing garbage like the car magazines are. Can't piss off your advertisers, amiright? Anyways, I perused the specs on the website, the top end has a 1400 gram carbon wheelset on it, so its not a super burly build. The "value" build is 27 lbs, which is better than I was expecting, but still not awesome.

So back to my first post, I'm not "shitting on it", I just don't think its an awesome value from the spec standpoint. I haven't ridden it myself, maybe the suspension curve is tuned to give you an orgasm every time you do a whip when you send it off your favorite lip.

Now..."all country"? That's some corny marketing shit that I can get behind shitting on.

mtbr member
    Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, I raced a Cannondale scalpel.... they had flex chain stays suspension.... everything has a cycle life, bend something enough times, it brakes. Flex stays are not a good idea IMO.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSTCLIME View Post
    Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, I raced a Cannondale scalpel.... they had flex chain stays suspension.... everything has a cycle life, bend something enough times, it brakes. Flex stays are not a good idea IMO.
    Good thing that's just the opinion of a rando on the internet, because it's pretty baseless. The scalpel was a soft tail with linkages to actuate the shock. The stays on this bike won't flex even a fraction of that amount. Your handlebars probably flex more that these stays will flex

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Formerly of Kent

Transition Spur

The suspension design, or similar, is used by:

Transition, Scott, Orbea, Cannondale, Canyon, Specialized, and many others.

It is nothing like the original Scalpels. Those were pivotless. All of the above have pivots on the seat tube above the BB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Creating a new category, I like it. There will always be critics and people who don’t “get it”, I get it TR. This bike may finally convince me to try 29er.....still love my 27.5 wheels.
    Nah, they didn't create it, though they're rebelling, as TR does, and not going "downcountry", but "all country". Same niche, but all country implies more capability than the rest of the crowd's "down" only bikes. Brilliant marketing!

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    In case anybody else was curious, I just received confirmation from Transition that a 130mm fork will not void the warranty. It's just not recommended.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Nah, they didn't create it, though they're rebelling, as TR does, and not going "downcountry", but "all country". Same niche, but all country implies more capability than the rest of the crowd's "down" only bikes. Brilliant marketing!
    Wow they're so cool. True rebels.

Transition is the Surly of dentist bikes. Both companies make great bikes for what they are, and both companies have cringy too-cool-for-school marketing campaigns that seem to cater mostly to indignant post-teen bike shop employees or middle-age squares that are attempting to superficially rebel from their tame suburban lives.

Last edited by GT87; 07-02-2020 at 11:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Actually, everything on your bike flexes whether you know it/like it or not.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    What if you catered it more toward people that like to ride out in the country, clear across it!? You could call the category “across-country”.

Or how about for people that like to ride up and down the mountain, like the whole thing? You could call it “Whole-Mountain”.

I’m glad that transition is out there mixing it up!

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    But what 130mm fork, the SID seems an impressive fork, considering the weight and 35mm tubes.
    You could sacrifice weight and use a pike i guess, or fox 34.
    But for sure 120r/130f seems a good way to get the front slightly slacker and an extra 10mm.
    Id want the Spur to be like a lightweight Scout.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GT87 View Post
    Good thing that's just the opinion of a rando on the internet, because it's pretty baseless. The scalpel was a soft tail with linkages to actuate the shock. The stays on this bike won't flex even a fraction of that amount. Your handlebars probably flex more that these stays will flex

Waiting for pink bike slow motion huck to flat video.....when they talk about a cycle life on flex stays, remember, every bump is a cycle.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Transition now has a lifetime warranty on their carbon frame so people can sleep easier at night not having to worry about their flex stays.

I have personally used their warranty on my alloy Scout.....which by the way was for a broken alloy chain stay.....and TR has one of the best customer support in the industry. They take care of their customers. I would never hesitate to buy anything from them despite the design, they are just good people.

I just wish the Spur had a 27.5 version for a BMX style trail bike. V2 Scout got more capable, still fun but not as fun as OG Scout.!When the Scout V3 came out it kept going towards that hugely capable bike. OG Scout was one of my favorite all time bikes, and the Spur reminds me of a lightweight Scout.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Waiting for pink bike slow motion huck to flat video.....when they talk about a cycle life on flex stays, remember, every bump is a cycle.
    Ok, you better not buy it then. Congrats on outsmarting the engineers that were trying to dupe you.

mtbr member
    Seems pretty clear this will not be a bike for everyone. It’s not an XC bike, really; not in the WC, lockout-your-suspension-for-the-sprint sense. If your whole goal is maximum performance and your local XC series this is not that.

That said I live in the PNW and ride the same trails the Transition guys do. I’ve owned a couple “real” XC bikes and they’re no fun here. You can’t really find a good training loop that doesn’t include a rowdy descent. This seems like the perfect XC bike for our trails: great climbing, light enough without compromising ride quality and durability, perfect geometry, fast up but still fun down. It will probably give up a handful of seconds to a “real” XC bike on our weekly short-track course, but will be much much more fun the rest of the time.

mtbr member
    Not huck-to-flat, but in the latest podcast, Levy was gushing about it. While he was holding back to not give away the upcoming “shootout,” he said something like: man, that bike is FAST!”

It’s prolly in the first 5min of the podcast, so you don’t need to listen for too long.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Looking forward to a demo

mtbr member
    No piggyback shocks eh...
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CCDWP44nBCl/

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Maybe they don’t recommend it because it might get in the way of the water bottle or accessory mount?

It looks like the accessory mount on the top tube might hit the reservoir if you where deep in the travel?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    This bike will be good. The Patrol is an awesome bike. The Sentinel is an awesome bike. They just make good bikes.
    I cannot wait to try this thing. 25 to 27 pounds and the nicest looking bike that has come out yet this year.
    Next thing is durability, being a light frame but with the way they treat customers that won't be a problem, best company I have ever dealt with.

LDC is ded,deth by trollz
    Nov 2015
    You mean 26 right. The highest end is 24. Why are you on this thread if you are not going to actually read before speaking.
    Ill be out riding, youll still be trolling mtbr. Mtbr, where people who dont ride come to pretend they do.

Nov 2015
    Did anybody on this thread actually buy the bike? I get mine Wednesday. If this is just a thread about speculation I'll make a new thread for people that actually own the bike like me.
    Ill be out riding, youll still be trolling mtbr. Mtbr, where people who dont ride come to pretend they do.

Nov 2015

I get my frame Wednesday. I have Kovee XXX wheels, Sid 35, xx1 11spd , xtr brakes, etc. Spreadsheet says 23.9 with xtr trail pedals.

I also have a rocky mountain element. Which is going to be HEAVIER lol. Guy is talking bollocks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    How is it ? Enquiring minds want know. A new thread of Spur owners would be great for all us unlucky Transition owners.

Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by appleEdgar View Post
    How is it ? Enquiring minds want know. A new thread of Spur owners would be great for all us unlucky Transition owners.
    I get it on Wednesday, I will be making posts about it. I have to get the word out about it. I am a pure XC racer. Rigid SS 100 mile races type. Then 100mm xc bikes. I had a couple bikes with 130 a few weeks here and there, and got rid of them. Hopefully this will be my "big xc bike". I want something I can pedal through rocks all day and get sloppy. I have a Rocky Mountain Element also I am keeping as my pure XC bike even though it's about .5 pounds heavier lol.

I am moving to BC and this bike is going to be my perfect daily driver. I'm not a jumper, I'm a xc racer that likes to go as fast as I can through technical trails, sometimes you have to boost over rock gardens and sometimes plow through them, but always have to climb to get to the DH. Should be perfect. I bought the bike 15 minute after reading the pinkbike article. I've never owned a transition and know nothing about them. One time I rented a smuggler in Pisgah for the day. It was too heavy and slow for me to give xc race effort uphill. This bike should solve that. So after I bought the bike I started reading about transition, and what they are about. I found out the program they have for Marines and that they got my friend who has PTSD a bike to ride. Then I read how they ALWAYS take care of the customer. That it's a family etc. Then they emailed me and said welcome to the family, let us know how you like the bike, etc. Tells me a lot.

Another little side note. They only were selling frame only in black. Mine is coming in green. My bike shop called this person, who called that person, etc etc. I got a frame. Because by the time my shop opened they were already sold out online. I got a call back saying they made some calls and the rep has a frame for me. It was that quick and easy. Tracking number the same day.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I’m really thinking about this frame to replace my Santa Cruz tallboy 3. I would run a step cast or fox 34 with a xx1 11 speed. Should be a pretty light build

Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by MilRob View Post
    I’m really thinking about this frame to replace my Santa Cruz tallboy 3. I would run a step cast or fox 34 with a xx1 11 speed. Should be a pretty light build
    I had a tallboy 3 for 2 weeks in may. I bought it thinking it would be sweet. I hated it. The seat was so far behind the BB it didn't accelerate uphill like I wanted. It was sweet on rolling flow type stuff. But when it got super steep and you brought in the torque nothing happened. For me anyways. I probably needed an XL at 6'2 but I wanted to set it up more XC style with a stepcast 34. Then on an XL my seat would be even farther away from the Bb and slack seat tube. So next week I will be able to tell you the comparison on the same trails with the same fitness, same tires, wheels, etc. Size Large Spur vs large TB3. Plus I own an Element and an Epic Evo. And I have also ridden a Scott spark 120, rocky Mountain instinct and instinct BC, trek 100mm top fuel with a 34, all on these trails to compare also. The Element is by far the fastest bike I've ever ridden on the type of stuff I bought the Spur for. I hope the Spur is just a little less twitchy when I am cranking hard.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Please let me know. I’m on an XL tallboy 3 and know what you mean. Same height and I had a large and it was too small. Looking at a ripley also

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneDetroitCity View Post
    I had a tallboy 3 for 2 weeks in may. I bought it thinking it would be sweet. I hated it. The seat was so far behind the BB it didn't accelerate uphill like I wanted. It was sweet on rolling flow type stuff. But when it got super steep and you brought in the torque nothing happened. For me anyways. I probably needed an XL at 6'2 but I wanted to set it up more XC style with a stepcast 34. Then on an XL my seat would be even farther away from the Bb and slack seat tube. So next week I will be able to tell you the comparison on the same trails with the same fitness, same tires, wheels, etc. Size Large Spur vs large TB3. Plus I own an Element and an Epic Evo. And I have also ridden a Scott spark 120, rocky Mountain instinct and instinct BC, trek 100mm top fuel with a 34, all on these trails to compare also. The Element is by far the fastest bike I've ever ridden on the type of stuff I bought the Spur for. I hope the Spur is just a little less twitchy when I am cranking hard.
    At 6'2", why did you pick a Large Spur over the XL? Seems like you could go either way and was just wondering. Same logic as the TB?

Looking forward to your review (as I also did not get along with the TB3 (and have no interest in a TB4)).

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Looks very interesting to me, and looking forward to reading ride reports. Its good to hear Transition has excellent customer service.

mtbr member
    Not huck-to-flat, but in the latest podcast, Levy was gushing about it. While he was holding back to not give away the upcoming “shootout,” he said something like: man, that bike is FAST!”

It’s prolly in the first 5min of the podcast, so you don’t need to listen for too long.
    IMO, the bb is to low for tech climbing. Have you ever seen a “long and low” rock crawling Jeep that was worth a dam? The longer you make a bike, the more you need to raze the bb to cut down on peddle strikes on rocky tech climbs... again, jmo

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    IMO, the bb is to low for tech climbing. Have you ever seen a “long and low” rock crawling Jeep that was worth a dam? The longer you make a bike, the more you need to raze the bb to cut down on peddle strikes on rocky tech climbs... again, jmo
    I had TR Scout V1 that had a 330mm BB height, TR Scout V2 with a 335mm BB height, and my current bike has a 337mm BB height.

I live in Upstate NY and techy, rocky trails are the norm. Bash guards definitely a must. I found my Scout V2 or SBG Scout was one of the best slow tech climbers I have owned. BB was low yes, however, long reach, steep SA slack HA really helped maintain balance and tracking.

Scout V1 with a 330mm.....my crank arms were mangled.

Overfork it, and swap to 170mm cranks if you need a little more BB height.

This bike reminds me of my Scout V1. It looks like fun!

Demoed a Carbon Smuggler and it was not for me. This bike though, very interested.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Local shop has a large in stock so I did a quick parking lot ride. Ended up putting my name down for an XL. I'm 6'1" and I think I can go a bit longer and use a bit more stack. Been looking at everything that dropped the last couple weeks and I think this is the bike for me. Funny, I was just about to go for a Top Fuel...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndySTi View Post
    Local shop has a large in stock so I did a quick parking lot ride. Ended up putting my name down for an XL. I'm 6'1" and I think I can go a bit longer and use a bit more stack. Been looking at everything that dropped the last couple weeks and I think this is the bike for me. Funny, I was just about to go for a Top Fuel...
    Funny...TopFuel was at the top of my list...but I was holding back bc of persistent rumors of a new Smugg-lite.

From a simple parking lot ride, what was it about the Spur that made you change your mind?

Nov 2015
    That's good info. I already bought a large and get it Wednesday. I used to ride a 21.5 top fuel and the large is about the same numbers. I'm taller than you also.

I'm curious what bike you ride now?

Nov 2015
    I think that's hilarious. In the other threads everyone was clowning the BB for being too high!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Funny...TopFuel was at the top of my list...but I was holding back bc of persistent rumors of a new Smugg-lite.

From a simple parking lot ride, what was it about the Spur that made you change your mind?
    I unfortunately haven't done more than a parking lot ride on the Trek either. I've demoed the SB100, Sniper T, Ripley and Element however.

Good question, about the TF vs Spur. Probably just comes down to me not racing anymore and wanting to have more fun on the MTB. Plus it just looks so good!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    That's good info. I already bought a large and get it Wednesday. I used to ride a 21.5 top fuel and the large is about the same numbers. I'm taller than you also.

I'm curious what bike you ride now?
    My current bike is quite short by comparison. I'm on a large Focus Raven Max. I'm keeping this for quick hammer rides but want a more fun bike.

I also figure I can throw a 40mm stem on the Spur if I think it's too long, looks like it comes with a 50mm.

mtbr member
    I think that's hilarious. In the other threads everyone was clowning the BB for being too high!
    Transition makes bikes for the PNW, that is you ride up a fire road and then fly down a tech trail... going down a hill you have a choice on when to peddle, you have less of a choice when working a tech climb.... longer bikes need higher bb’s to climb well on tech trails.

Nov 2015
    Transition makes bikes for the PNW, that is you ride up a fire road and then fly down a tech trail... going down a hill you have a choice on when to peddle, you have less of a choice when working a tech climb.... longer bikes need higher bb’s to climb well on tech trails.
    I think the BB is higher than my Rocky Mountain Element. Which is a tech climbing samurai warrior. Thing dissects jank.

I'm a tech climber, so if the bike sucks at it I will sell it the next day! I also am moving to the PNW, then Squamish. So the bike hopefully is in its element.

I'm more worried about the wheelbase than the low BB so far on paper. It's like 100mm longer than my Element.

Nov 2015
    My current bike is quite short by comparison. I'm on a large Focus Raven Max. I'm keeping this for quick hammer rides but want a more fun bike.

I also figure I can throw a 40mm stem on the Spur if I think it's too long, looks like it comes with a 50mm.
    I currently ride a large Element. The only XL I've ever had was the Top fuel. The large spur and the XL top fuel(100mm) are almost identical in most numbers.

The Riddler
    Any thoughts on how the Spur will compare to the Ripley? Down to those two for me. Seems like a comparison between suspension designs and weight, but otherwise pretty similar.

mtbr member
    I think the BB is higher than my Rocky Mountain Element. Which is a tech climbing samurai warrior. Thing dissects jank.

I'm a tech climber, so if the bike sucks at it I will sell it the next day! I also am moving to the PNW, then Squamish. So the bike hopefully is in its element.

I'm more worried about the wheelbase than the low BB so far on paper. It's like 100mm longer than my Element.
    That’s my point, the longer the wheel base, the more you have to raze the bb. Add 4 inches to the wheel base, the bb has to go up or the peddles will be hitting the stuff you are rolling over..

mtbr member
    Given that they are a global company, I think your logic suffers a fatal flaw.

mtbr member
    Add 4 inches to the wheel base, the bb has to go up or the peddles will be hitting the stuff you are rolling over..
    Unless you use shorter cranks and/or adapt your riding style...

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Unless you use shorter cranks and/or adapt your riding style...
    No, don't do that. Just pedal indiscriminately over rocks, pedal strike and blame the bike, and then whine about it on the internet

mtbr member
    Given that they are a global company, I think your logic suffers a fatal flaw.
    Long and low simply does not work on tech rock climbs... btw, transition is based out of Washington state, they design and test their bikes in the PNW. I think that if the bike had been tested in the north east or the south west like AZ or NM, the bike would have had some kind of “flip chip” to raze the bb....as it stands, the bb it not high enough with the long wheel base for climbing rock tech. JMO

Nov 2015
    Long and low simply does not work on tech rock climbs... btw, transition is based out of Washington state, they design and test their bikes in the PNW. I think that if the bike had been tested in the north east or the south west like AZ or NM, the bike would have had some kind of “flip chip” to raze the bb....as it stands, the bb it not high enough with the long wheel base for climbing rock tech. JMO
    I ride primarily in those places you are saying it might be too low. Man I hope not! I definitely understand what you are saying for sure. I have bought and sold bikes within a couple days that can't get through the tech. It's a non starter for me. Either I can pedal over rocks, or I can't own the bike. I have never ridden in Colorado or PNW. When I was buying the bike I had those places in mind. I'm probably actually going to be living in Bellingham, for the few months until I get my Canada paperwork sorted. So in that sense it will be where it is tested.

I definitely agree about the influence of location and testing on bike design. Pivot makes bikes for that environment also. That's why they are slightly heavier and overbuilt. Then some flow trail weight weenie is like they are too heavy. Not if you ride in Arizona! So I can definitely see the point you are making. I appreciate the thoughts. I'm going to be mindful the first time I roll into my favorite rock piles. I don't hit my pedals with my Element using a 100mm fork and 175 cranks. I'll be using a 120 fork and 165 cranks on the Spur.

I actually am using a Cane Creek Works Helm until I get the new SID and cause I'm going to Colorado for a month and the SID isn't ready for that level of pounding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    If anything, the bb isn't high enough. Anyone that climbs real "rock tech" knows that the only way to do it is with a high BB... just stay seated, spin a high cadence, and steer.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    If anything, the bb isn't high enough. Anyone that climbs real "rock tech" knows that the only way to do it is with a high BB... just stay seated, spin a high cadence, and steer.

With all due respect, that is not the only way to climb rock tech.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by FJSnoozer View Post

There are some very experienced tech climbers here that would respectfully disagree with you. You can't climb tech on long/low bikes. If you spent 10-20 hours a day pissing up a rope and setting KOMs on the sickest singletrack in the lower 48, then you might know that. Maybe quit flapping your gums and let your legs do the talking.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    If anyone has a line on a Large Green frame let me know, I just about pulled the trigger a few nights ago on Fanatik's website but got distracted with my kids. By the time I got back to the laptop they were sold out.

Nov 2015
    I just got the bike! It says it's engineered to party. We shall see. It weighed 5.4lbs without the derailer hanger, axle or headset. With the seat clamp. It has 3 sets of bottle mount bolts too for weight. It's a work of art. Size Large green.

The internal routing is amazing it has tubes in tubes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I hope this thread doesn’t get closed down like the other one did because you guys can’t get along.

It’s amusing no doubt, however, it distracts from bike content.

I subscribed to learn about the bike, not about your personality.

EMBA MTB Lead Instructor
    There are some very experienced tech climbers here that would respectfully disagree with you. You can't climb tech on long/low bikes. If you spent 10-20 hours a day pissing up a rope and setting KOMs on the sickest singletrack in the lower 48, then you might know that. Maybe quit flapping your gums and let your legs do the talking.
    The "Sit and Spin" technique has been dead for like 15(?) years. XC guys or roadies might still try to get away with it, but to climb tech you need to be up and out of your saddle (seat dropped ideally) and mashing some harder gears to generate enough torque to clear up and over obstacles. You can look at guys like Jeff Kendall Weed or Jeff Lenosky for reference, but I would say that its almost better to be on a long/low/slack bike for tech climbing as you have lots more room to move around to keep balance.
    Life is easy. Figure out the price of whatever it is you want, then pay that price.

mtbr member
    I just got the bike! It says it's engineered to party. We shall see. It weighed 5.4lbs without the derailer hanger, axle or headset. With the seat clamp. It has 3 sets of bottle mount bolts too for weight. It's a work of art. Size Large green.

The internal routing is amazing it has tubes in tubes.
    Pics or it didn't happen!

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Thustlewhumber View Post
    The "Sit and Spin" technique has been dead for like 15(?) years. XC guys or roadies might still try to get away with it, but to climb tech you need to be up and out of your saddle (seat dropped ideally) and mashing some harder gears to generate enough torque to clear up and over obstacles. You can look at guys like Jeff Kendall Weed or Jeff Lenosky for reference, but I would say that its almost better to be on a long/low/slack bike for tech climbing as you have lots more room to move around to keep balance.
    I thought I was over-selling it...

Nov 2015
    Pics or it didn't happen!
    How do I post one? I sent pics to a couple other forum members maybe they can.

mtbr member

Yes, I'm aware; I live in Bellingham.

Still, their bikes sell worldwide. And sell well, so they are, indeed, a global company and make bikes for a far wider audience than just our little corner of the world.

I've ridden my Smuggler, and my daughter her Scout, (both SBG) in Colorado and Moab, with some pretty serious tech rock climbing. They do fantastic.

Oh, and raise... not raze.

Nov 2015
    Yes, I'm aware; I live in Bellingham.

Still, their bikes sell worldwide. And sell well, so they are, indeed, a global company and make bikes for a far wider audience than just our little corner of the world.

I've ridden my Smuggler, and my daughter her Scout, (both SBG) in Colorado and Moab, with some pretty serious tech rock climbing. They do fantastic.

Oh, and raise... not raze.
    Ever been to Squamish? I'm coming to live in Bellingham in October. Another reason I got this bike. I am going to Colorado for all of August, and racing Moab Rocks if it happens. So I will definitely find out who's right in this. I tend to stray towards people who actually ride the brand and know what's up vs the internet theorists.

mtbr member
    Can't help you there....I can barely type.

But if it wouldn't be too much of a bother, since you bought a frame, could you take pictures as you go through the build process (especially of any unforeseen issues that pop up). It would just be cool to see one being built.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Anyone know of any large or xl frames in stock? I am right in between sizes at 6’1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sb1616ne View Post
    I really want one of these with a DPX2 on it. The website says that they are not compatible with a piggyback, but I don't understand why. Looks like even at bottom out it would fit?
    Ripped this off IG
    Transition Spur-46f3c35c-9c3d-4e70-9cc9-a3ed259b9c85.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Transition makes bikes for the PNW, that is you ride up a fire road and then fly down a tech trail.

You really don't know what you're talking about.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019

No kidding. I thought this board was populated by mountain bikers.

Nov 2015
    Can't help you there....I can barely type.

But if it wouldn't be too much of a bother, since you bought a frame, could you take pictures as you go through the build process (especially of any unforeseen issues that pop up). It would just be cool to see one being built.
    Other than the pressing of the headset I am building it up myself. I have taken some pictures and I will figure out how to post them. The frame came with foam tubing to go on the housing for the dropper in the seat tube. That's a first for me. The dropper and derailer housing have the TITS system. Flawless as far as sliding right in, no jamming up or kinks.

My first ride will be tomorrow. I just threw spare parts I have around on it till I get all the parts. It was a spur of the moment decision to buy this frame so I didn't have all the parts on hand. Waiting for my Cane Creek Helm works fork, one-up 150 dropper, xtr 11spd, xx1 cassette, saint brakes, descendant dub carbon crank. I have Kovee xxx wheels. I'm using 740 enve swp bars and a 60 syntace stem. I still have an XC bike for now so I am using a little beefier parts. Once I sell my rocky Mountain element I will make the transition pure xc, and buy a 140 29er.

The quality of the frame as far as the mold of the carbon and all that is on par with Sworks frames I've bought. All the carbon is finished good. No mold lines or flaking paint at edges etc.

Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by tmc1171 View Post
    Ripped this off IG
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	46F3C35C-9C3D-4E70-9CC9-A3ED259B9C85.jpg 
Views:	785 
Size:	206.1 KB 
ID:	1347743
    Anybody know what he is referring to as the RD hack?

I think this bike looks like shit personally. I hate how it looks like an Enduro bike now with that ridiculous shock. It doesn't look like a Ferrari anymore. It looks like another wanna be Enduro bike.

If you want a Enduro shock buy an Enduro bike.

mtbr member
    Anybody know what he is referring to as the RD hack?
    Rear derailleur.

Sent from my INE-LX2 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    It's pretty easy...

Click "Reply to Thread"
    Click "Go Advanced"
    Click "Insert Image"
    Click "Browse" and browse for the image on your device.
    Click "Upload File(s)"
    Click "Preview Post" to make sure everything looks right.
    Click "Submit Reply"

Transition Spur-reply-thread.jpg
    Transition Spur-go-advanced.jpg
    Transition Spur-insert-image.jpg
    Transition Spur-browse-photos.jpg
    Transition Spur-upload-files.jpg
    Transition Spur-submit-reply.jpg

EMBA MTB Lead Instructor
    I thought I was over-selling it...
    Dang, you got me! Hook line and sinker...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stahr_Nut View Post
    It's pretty easy...
    It's easy if one has pictures to post...
    Scarlett Johansson loves my hummus.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by juan_speeder View Post
    because there's a name for people like you.

It's "liar".
    The bike has only been out a week, so he couldnt have been bragging about it for 3 weeks. Seriously, what is wrong with you? Your personal life must be a disaster if you feel the need to attack people you dont know on the internet. I hope things get better for you.

P.S. Here is a picture of his frame.

Transition Spur-received_980520299028997.jpg

mtbr member
    Ever been to Squamish? I'm coming to live in Bellingham in October. Another reason I got this bike. I am going to Colorado for all of August, and racing Moab Rocks if it happens. So I will definitely find out who's right in this. I tend to stray towards people who actually ride the brand and know what's up vs the internet theorists.
    I've been through Squamish, on the way to Whistler. But - so far - never stopped to ride there.

Saw two Spurs out on Galbraith today. They really are amazing looking bikes. One of the guys I talked with for a few minutes said it climbs fantastic and does great on the descents the way he rides.

Still, for a one bike guy, I think I'll keep my Smuggler. If I were getting a Sentinel and wanted a second bike, the Spur would be it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by juan_speeder View Post
    What's a frame dick?.

Cute edit.

Now, are you also LameDetoitCity's puppet account, or what?
    So... you are just a legit shitty miserable person huh?

Hope life gets better for you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Picked my Spur up this afternoon and got out for a quick jam. I love it!

I'm not the most experienced mountain biker but I have been riding and racing mountain bikes since my rigid MB1. I'm a 50 year old cat 1 roadie. It's been a couple years since my last XC race and I've been on a hard tail for a few years. My last full suspension bike was my Trek Fuel EX9 from 10 years ago.

Only had time for a quick ride tonight but I wanted a bit of flat, climbing and descending. I live in Bend, OR so we don't have crazy gnar. Plus I'm XC and wont be doing that anyway. Went out on a perfect shakedown route. I had a blast. This thing pedals great and is super lively. Super fun to play around on. Downhill was so much fun. I felt comfortable on the bike and the suspension just did it's thing. Did a fire road climb and locked the rear shock - still allowed some movement which was nice, though. Felt efficient to me.

I have been in the market for the past couple/three years and this bike just spoke to me. I had demoed a Spark, Ripley, SB100, and Intense Sniper Trail. No of those felt right. Tonight's ride felt right.

I'm 6'1", 158lbs and went for an XL. I think the size is great for me. It did not feel too long in reach. That front wheel seems really out front, however. The long wheelbase was not noticed on my ride tonight. I'm not enduro and I'm not going to over fork it. If anything I could see trying a 100mm shock for fun. How many reviews will you see from shaved leg roadies?!

No baggies tonight!

My previous bike - Focus Raven Max

mtbr member
    Picked my Spur up this afternoon and got out for a quick jam. I love it!

I'm not the most experienced mountain biker but I have been riding and racing mountain bikes since my rigid MB1. I'm a 50 year old cat 1 roadie. It's been a couple years since my last XC race and I've been on a hard tail for a few years. My last full suspension bike was my Trek Fuel EX9 from 10 years ago.

Only had time for a quick ride tonight but I wanted a bit of flat, climbing and descending. I live in Bend, OR so we don't have crazy gnar. Plus I'm XC and wont be doing that anyway. Went out on a perfect shakedown route. I had a blast. This thing pedals great and is super lively. Super fun to play around on. Downhill was so much fun. I felt comfortable on the bike and the suspension just did it's thing. Did a fire road climb and locked the rear shock - still allowed some movement which was nice, though. Felt efficient to me.

I have been in the market for the past couple/three years and this bike just spoke to me. I had demoed a Spark, Ripley, SB100, and Intense Sniper Trail. No of those felt right. Tonight's ride felt right.

I'm 6'1", 158lbs and went for an XL. I think the size is great for me. It did not feel too long in reach. That front wheel seems really out front, however. The long wheelbase was not noticed on my ride tonight. I'm not enduro and I'm not going to over fork it. If anything I could see trying a 100mm shock for fun. How many reviews will you see from shaved leg roadies?!

No baggies tonight!

My previous bike - Focus Raven Max
    Thanks for the review. Your bike looks mint. Major bike envy now.

Great to finally hear some actual ride feedback instead of all the keyboard warriors having a pissing contest.

Sent from my INE-LX2 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I'm not the most experienced mountain biker but I have been riding and racing mountain bikes since my rigid MB1.
    MB1! I still have an MB2 that I use as my commuter and townie. It's been converted to 700c road wheels and moustache bars. Still awesome!

Ok, back to the thread topic...have fun on the new bike. Glad you found one that clicks with you. It should be good for the Bend area.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bizango View Post
    MB1! I still have an MB2 that I use as my commuter and townie. It's been converted to 700c road wheels and moustache bars. Still awesome!

Ok, back to the thread topic...have fun on the new bike. Glad you found one that clicks with you. It should be good for the Bend area.
    Nah, man, we're just talking Bridgestones from here on out. My first bike was a MB-2 and my second bike was a MB-0, which I broke in short order, at the BB chainstay junction. Got a lugged MB-1 with a fancy rigid fork as the warranty replacement.

Good times.
    Scarlett Johansson loves my hummus.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Day 2 on the Spur. Bigger/harder ride today. Nothing crazy but it was a good shakedown. Need to add some air to the back and drop some from the front. 25 miles and 2900 ft. So fun on the downs. Climbs well too.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3748490674

And some B-stone content for fun...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Uk rider here, just got my xl spur all built up and thought I’d come on here for the first time in a good while i’ll admit. And omg wtf this page has nearly as much hate in it as the news what’s happened. Thought the uk singletrack page had some muppets in there but blimey what a shame.
    Back to the bike not ridden but frame does look as good as the pictures gotta say.
    I’ve gone more trail build with pike ultimate forks, full xt 12speed, one up dropper, diety controls & king hubs on 418 rims. Defo looking forward to getting out on it.
    Hope everyone calms down on here and gets back to what made this a good place for info and actuall real world reviews/thoughts and who have got there spurs enjoy them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    AndySTi

Looking at your route, did you ride clockwise from the Skyline parking lot?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Day 2 on the Spur. Bigger/harder ride today. Nothing crazy but it was a good shakedown. Need to add some air to the back and drop some from the front. 25 miles and 2900 ft. So fun on the downs. Climbs well too.

https://www.strava.com/activities/3748490674

And some B-stone content for fun...

The Spur seems like it might be the perfect bike for places like Bend, Boise, and Sun Valley. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rushman3 View Post
    AndySTi

Looking at your route, did you ride clockwise from the Skyline parking lot?

Thanks
    I went clockwise. Up Tumalo Ridge down South fork, up North fork and down Farewell.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Just pre-ordered my frame. Also bought an AXS XO1 group, still need to buy a fork and tires, but everything else will get swapped over from my Evil Offering.

Super excited for this bike, just wish I had an ETA for the frame.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Last I heard here in the UK any frames were October/November time. Got my GX complete on order, can't wait to get out on it when it arrives!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Can someone who has received their frame or seen one in person confirm whether or not there is a drain hole or other means to easily access and clean out the water and grit that tends to collect in the pocket for the lower shock mount? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Stahr_Nut View Post
    Can someone who has received their frame or seen one in person confirm whether or not there is a drain hole or other means to easily access and clean out the water and grit that tends to collect in the pocket for the lower shock mount? Thanks.
    I don't think there's a drain hole. The NSMB review has a picture and caption about it.
    https://nsmb.com/articles/2020-transition-spur-review/

I'd love to see one but It'll be a minor annoyance. I had that same thing on my Evil Following frame and it only became an issue after washing the bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Nope, no drain hole on the model in my LBS. It's a minor issue IMO. Since being burned by some poor design on a Mondraker I bought 5 years ago, I check over the bikes I'm looking at very closely when it comes to smaller details. All the new Transitions, Scout/Spur (yet to see the Sentinel in the flesh) seem very well thought out. This is the only slight thing I could spot, but it'll be a small price if the bike rides as well as people say.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by matmattmatthew View Post
    Super excited for this bike, just wish I had an ETA for the frame.
    Just a heads up for everyone regarding pre-orders and ETA stuff.

Availability dates vary by size/color/build with certain options being available sooner than others. We have been seeing huge demand lately and some items are sold out from the next delivery or more. So you might be quoted an estimate of "early August" but if you don't actually place a pre-order for the item, that might turn in to September or October as we take additional orders. Our dates are estimates only, and things can change. But generally if you have been given an ETA estimate that is only a few weeks away (IE early August) that is much more accurate than an estimate that is months away.

If you place an order directly with us, feel free to contact us to check on your order and get an estimate of when it will be available. You are also welcome to check back as time goes on. If you have placed your order with a dealer, you would need to check with the shop for updates about your order. We can't provide any ETA estimates for orders placed through resellers... but they should be able to help you with that info.

We are working on some updates to provide more detailed information about pre-orders and increased ability for customers to check in and manage their own orders, payment, shipping, etc. Our goal is give customers as much information as possible.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I have the $6k build tubeless with XTR pedals and the medium comes in at 26.1. I didn't buy this for an XC race bike, and it won't compete with a Spark RC or Specialized Epic on weight. I bought it for a lighter weight trail bike that is fun to ride. Relative to the competition (Yeti SB115, Evil Following, Santa Cruz Tallboy), I'd characterize the bike as light for the cost.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I have the $6k build tubeless with XTR pedals and the medium comes in at 26.1lbs. I didn't buy this for an XC race bike, and it won't compete with a Spark RC or Specialized Epic on weight. I bought it for a lighter weight trail bike that is fun to ride. Relative to the competition (Yeti SB115, Evil Following, Santa Cruz Tallboy), I'd characterize the bike as light for the cost.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Awesome insight from Lars on the Spur. My build will be similar (burlier enduro wheels) but seeing as I'm 5 inches taller and 20 lbs heavier I think I'm going to do 180/180 for my rotors. He also has me second-guessing my 175mm cranks.

mtbr member
    Awesome insight from Lars on the Spur. My build will be similar (burlier enduro wheels) but seeing as I'm 5 inches taller and 20 lbs heavier I think I'm going to do 180/180 for my rotors. He also has me second-guessing my 175mm cranks.

Also interesting that he's using FOX and XT...in other words: the opposite of the RS/SRAM builds that are offered to the end user.

(Not saying it's good or bad...just interesting)

mtbr member
    Also interesting that he's using FOX and XT...in other words: the opposite of the RS/SRAM builds that are offered to the end user.

(Not saying it's good or bad...just interesting)
    probably because 1) he likes shimano better 2) they got a better deal from sram for oem parts

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    probably because 1) he likes shimano better 2) they got a better deal from sram for oem parts
    Didn’t the SID just come out in the past couple months? I believe he said he has been on the bike since August 2019.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Lars has long standing relationships with Shimano and Fox. His bike build reflects his personal product sponsorship/testing arrangements.

mtbr member

Light bikes

Am curious if any of the riders looking to buy a Spur have ridden a sub-27 lb bike in rowdy terrain? I did it on a carbon FS bike with 150mm travel and didn't really like the sensation. On rock chunk, I just had to pick lines too much and really couldn't charge. With 2.3 tires, this light bike just seemed to pinball under me on anything lumpy. This was with a Fox 34 up front. Sure I could rip a climb and it would handle drops, but in between the high speed rough stuff just left me white knuckled.

Went back to a 30lb 130/150mm bike and am much happier. I'm not racing so don't care about being a minute or 2 slower on the climb, and it comes back to me in terms of fun on the descent.

I've owned over a dozen mtb's since starting riding in '92, attended Oakridge's MBO 4x, plus ridden Moab, Whistler, Bellingham, Squamish, Cumberland, Angel's Staircase and 2 decades on the Vancouver's north shore (my home trails). So have a pretty good idea of variety of terrain out there.

With the weight gain of other bikes (w/longer travel and more tire clearance) over the Spur actually not being that much of a penalty, I have to think this bike is for the guy or girl who's racing the clock some days and willing to trade that for some confidence and fun in rougher terrain. I would definitely look to demo the Spur before thinking it was the bike for me.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by islander View Post
    Am curious if any of the riders looking to buy a Spur have ridden a sub-27 lb bike in rowdy terrain? I did it on a carbon FS bike with 150mm travel and didn't really like the sensation. On rock chunk, I just had to pick lines too much and really couldn't charge. With 2.3 tires, this light bike just seemed to pinball under me on anything lumpy. This was with a Fox 34 up front. Sure I could rip a climb and it would handle drops, but in between the high speed rough stuff just left me white knuckled.

Went back to a 30lb 130/150mm bike and am much happier. I'm not racing so don't care about being a minute or 2 slower on the climb, and it comes back to me in terms of fun on the descent.

I've owned over a dozen mtb's since starting riding in '92, attended Oakridge's MBO 4x, plus ridden Moab, Whistler, Bellingham, Squamish, Cumberland, Angel's Staircase and 2 decades on the Vancouver's north shore (my home trails). So have a pretty good idea of variety of terrain out there.

With the weight gain of other bikes (w/longer travel and more tire clearance) over the Spur actually not being that much of a penalty, I have to think this bike is for the guy or girl who's racing the clock some days and willing to trade that for some confidence and fun in rougher terrain. I would definitely look to demo the Spur before thinking it was the bike for me.
    Pardon me for stating the obvious, but:

A 120/100mm bike and a 150mm bike are used for different things. A 25lb long travel XC bike and an AM bike excel at different types of riding. If you want to ride a 120mm bike like a 150mm bike, that's your choice, but you shouldn't be surprised when it doesn't ride like your 150mm bike.

Doesn't sound like this is the bike for you.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I honestly wouldn’t want a 150mm bike to be sub 27 lbs. My current bike is an Evil Offering with a coil shock, 150mm Lyrik and 2.5 1200gram tires. I’m pretty sure it’s 32-33lbs. I’m not expecting the Spur to handle exactly like the offering on the descents. What I am expecting is for it to handle the descents about 75-80% of the offering but excel in is climbing, rolling terrain, momentum conservation, average speed etc. I’m also hoping to do more frequent long rides and increase my average ride distance. I average 12-15 miles per ride and I’m hoping to bump up to 20-25 per ride on the spur. Nowadays I’m looking for more of a rally car and less of a monster truck.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

Transition Spur

Quote Originally Posted by islander View Post
    Different strokes...

Tons of experience in rowdy Terrain on XC bikes and XC bikes overforked. Now I do Race XC, which is why I am comfortable doing more with less bike than you. I don’t think this bike is for someone like you to come down in travel, I think it’s for the other end of the spectrum to go up and take some strain off their body and bike.

I spent weeks in Sedona on a primer Pro testing. Ive gone back in a lighter 25.0 pound “Sedona” set up 2020 top fuel and I much prefer that bike. The flickability and the option to just load suspension and lift and throw the bike over things that you have to plow with a minion/HR2 on a primer/Hightower is a much better experience.

There are other very specific downhill natural trails in the Nation I could make a short list of where I would prefer a bigger bike, but this is the bike for most rides and races for me.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Obviously no 120/120 bike will ever be a quiver-killer for somebody who does a lot of enduro style, shuttle, or park riding like it could maybe be for somebody who's more on the XC end of the spectrum. But as a rider in that former category, the Spur is looking like the perfect second bike for easier trails, longer days in the saddle, or just to spice things up. Now if only I could justify getting another $3000 frame
    Last edited by dlxah; 07-15-2020 at 03:57 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    ...I don’t think this bike is for someone like you to come down in travel, I think it’s for the other end of the spectrum to go up and take some strain off their body and bike...
    Bingo, nailed it! Same goes for the new Revel Ranger. That is exactly why these two bikes have made my short list.

The Riddler
    Any thoughts on using a 51mm Pike on this thing? I don't mean to rehash the whole offset debate, just never ridden a Transition and would love a quick primer on the subtle differences between 44 and 51mm offset. Would consider a Fox 34sc to go along with the Spur frame I have ordered, but nothing wrong with my Pike and would rather spend the money on a new Avalanche cartridge

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Just heard my GX has been pushed back until September/October Sure it'll be worth the wait though I guess COVID is partly to blame, but this must be one popular bike though all the same, LBS said they put their order in 3/4 weeks before launch when they first got the info and have only had 1 turn up of the 4 they ordered and mine is one of these. Demand way outstripped supply I guess!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I received my GX build on Tuesday, and have 2 solid rides on it so far. I will write up a review after today's ride.

It is not a XC bike regarding the comments from above. It is a lightweight trail bike that can handle everything besides EWS style courses (if all you ride are those or bike parks - you obviously are not looking at this bike).

For 95% of mountain bikers this is a game changer. Recently came of a Trail 429 (forked to 140) and a 2020 Hightower. This Spur is insane.
    Transition Spur
    Surly Wednesday
    Salsa Fargo

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaparzo View Post
    Any thoughts on using a 51mm Pike on this thing? I don't mean to rehash the whole offset debate, just never ridden a Transition and would love a quick primer on the subtle differences between 44 and 51mm offset. Would consider a Fox 34sc to go along with the Spur frame I have ordered, but nothing wrong with my Pike and would rather spend the money on a new Avalanche cartridge
    Honestly, I think if they weren't told, 80-90% of riders wouldn't be able to tell which offset they were riding. I have an Evil Offering and there was a bunch of discussions when it came out which offset would be best. There were even a few guys that did back to back rides with different offsets and said the difference was almost negligible. If you already have a perfectly good Pike I would just ride that. I doubt you'll get to the end of a ride and say "If only I had a shorter offset fork, I would have been 10% faster."

mtbr member
    May 2006

Spur Test Report

For those interested, I built up my spur and got in a shakedown ride on it. It takes me several rides to get my bikes dialed and this will be the first update. Let me know if you have any questions.

Rider weight 140 pounds with gear
    Rider level: 45+ Expert XC/Enduro racing
    Most recent bikes in quiver for comparison: Smuggler, Sentinel, SB100, Levo

Frame: 2020 medium spur
    Shock: stock oem 140psi 30% sag rebound 7 clicks out
    Fork: 2020 fox 34SC 120mm 44mm offset 70 psi 15% sag, stock volume spacer, rebound
    Dropper post: FOX 2019 transfer 150mm with FOX lever
    Saddle: Shimano Turnix (positioned as far forward as possible
    Saddler height: 28.5” center of saddle to center of BB
    Cranks: Shimano 2019 XTR 175mm with 32T wolftooth ring
    Pedals: Shimano XTR
    Cassette: 2019 Shimano XTR with Wolftooth 45T big ring
    Derailleur and chain: Shimano 2018 XTR
    Wheels: Race Face Next SL 25mm ID
    Tires: Maxis Rekon 2.4 front, Maxxis IKON 2.35 rear (pressures undetermined) tubeless
    Brakes: Shimano 2018 XTR race 180mm rotor front, 160mm rotor rear
    Handlebars: Race Face Next 20mm rise 760mm
    Stem: Race Face 40mm, 3 5mm spacers (one 5mm between stem and headset)
    Grips: ESI foam
    Waterbottle cage: Specialized carbon right pull with SWAT tool

I will go into detail after a couple more rides and adjustments. I will say for now, this was going to be my Downieville all mountain weapon this year and after one ride, it is that unicorn bike I have been looking for for this purpose.

Sorry, I tried to upload an image but it failed

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaparzo View Post
    More offset will increase your BB to front axle. It could potentially cause the front to push out in corners. It will increase straight line stability as it increases the wheelbase. I wouldn't recommend it for this bike.

mtbr member

Spur v. Hei Hei

CROSS POST from Kona forum (with edits for clarity):

I think I've narrowed it down to the new Hei Hei and the Spur (if I can get one). After riding the Smuggler, I said if they can make this thing lighter and pedal better, I'll buy one....b/c the XL geo is perfect (I'm a smidge under 6'4" with long arms and legs). And lo and behold...but...

The bikes appear very similar in a lot of ways (intent, weight, from Bellingham), but two things stand in the Kona's favor for the east coast riding: higher bb height and shorter wheelbase. I will say, the taller stack height of the Spur appeals to me and, as above, the Smuggler XL geo was perfect and Spur is nearly the same. The Kona is a looker, but the Spur is next level (I am in the camp of: you should love the way your bike looks...it makes you ride more. So: yes that matters to me).

Part of the reason I'm so indecisive is that I can't really test either and this will be my only bike (besides a Beargrease). I would use it for lots of 3-5hr rides in Delaware, MD, and SE Pa (where BB height and shorter wheelbase matters). Lots of 1hr after work rides at White Clay in DE b/c it's only a mile from my house (think flowy ups and downs...where BB height and shorter wheelbase doesn't matter as much).

I also plan on using it for some 2021 marathon races (Whiteface, Sheandoah, Marji) and maybe even some multi day thingys (Pisgah, Trans-sylvania). There's also a couple of local XC 15-20milers for fun...but I'd be finishing on the pointy end of the middle.

Any opinion on Spur vs. Hei Hei for a tall guy in the mid-Atlantic?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

I think I've narrowed it down to the new Hei Hei and the Spur (if I can get one). After riding the Smuggler, I said if they can make this thing lighter and pedal better, I'll buy one....b/c the XL geo is perfect (I'm a smidge under 6'4" with long arms and legs). And lo and behold...but...

The bikes appear very similar in a lot of ways (intent, weight, from Bellingham), but two things stand in the Kona's favor for the east coast riding: higher bb height and shorter wheelbase. I will say, the taller stack height of the Spur appeals to me and, as above, the Smuggler XL geo was perfect and Spur is nearly the same. The Kona is a looker, but the Spur is next level (I am in the camp of: you should love the way your bike looks...it makes you ride more. So: yes that matters to me).

I also plan on using it for some 2021 marathon races (Whiteface, Sheandoah, Marji) and maybe even some multi day thingys (Pisgah, Trans-sylvania). There's also a couple of local XC 15-20milers for fun...but I'd be finishing on the pointy end of the middle.

Why aren’t you also looking at the lighter Top Fuel?

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wls4ever View Post
    For those interested, I built up my spur and got in a shakedown ride on it. It takes me several rides to get my bikes dialed and this will be the first update. Let me know if you have any questions.

I will go into detail after a couple more rides and adjustments. I will say for now, this was going to be my Downieville all mountain weapon this year and after one ride, it is that unicorn bike I have been looking for for this purpose.

Sorry, I tried to upload an image but it failed

Any feedback on how the Spur does with slower, tighter trails? I had a Scout and it had a minimum operational speed that if you went below the bike was a chore. Not something I want in an XC/Marathon bike when you are crushed 5 hours in to the ride.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Transition Spur-img_2948.jpg

Here's an image of the bike guys.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TazMini View Post
    Any feedback on how the Spur does with slower, tighter trails? I had a Scout and it had a minimum operational speed that if you went below the bike was a chore. Not something I want in an XC/Marathon bike when you are crushed 5 hours in to the ride.
    Great question and I need more time putting in a higher HR effort in that situation. When I am fresh I like the knife sharp steering of a traditional geometry but as I fatigue it makes me twitchy and less accurate. I imagine the spur's stability helping my form in the tight stuff later in a race.

mtbr member
    Why aren’t you also looking at the lighter Top Fuel?

I was...and actually liked it a lot as far as riding experience.

But: I don't know that it's any lighter (in XXL...which is kinda comparable to the XL Kona/Spur. And, I kinda like the flex-stay idea with less bearing/pivots and,presumably, less maint.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Part of the reason I'm so indecisive is that I can't really test either and this will be my only bike (besides a Beargrease). I would use it for lots of 3-5hr rides in Delaware, MD, and SE Pa (where BB height and shorter wheelbase matters). Lots of 1hr after work rides at White Clay in DE b/c it's only a mile from my house (think flowy ups and downs...where BB height and shorter wheelbase doesn't matter as much).

Can't speak on the tall part, I'm 6'1" and that puts me solidly on a Large for either of those bikes. I am in the Mid-Atlantic, I live 2 miles from the Little Gunpowder trails in Maryland so those are my home trails. I also travel a good bit and ride at Harrisonburg, Pisgah and I'm even going up to Kingdom Trails next week. I also had those 2 bikes on my shortlist and ultimately decided on the Spur partially because of aesthetics but also because it's geometry was most similar to my current bike Evil Offering. I love the offering but its overkill for my current trails and I really wanted something that was similar Geo but would build out 6-7lbs lighter and be more efficient. I've gotten used to low BB's and longer wheelbases on my local trails so those factors didn't bother me.

I don't think you could go wrong with either.

mtbr member

Intended use

The marketing and general spec of the Spur came across as the long low slack geo was inserted into a short-travel 29 chassis, meaning you got a bike that hits was above its weight on technical terrain. Add in the fact that it's light and responsive (so much so that an XC racer would be drawn to it) and the message is a bit of a quiver of one. But the trouble is that the geo and stiff chasis still aren't enough not to pinball down rocky descents as compared to a bike with more tire clearance and longer allowable fork (ie not over-forked beyond warranty spec). I learned this from riding light bikes and came to realize it wasn't a worthy goal and that the all rounder is going to be 29-30 lbs, handle 2.4 and bigger tires and likely have more than 140mm fork. These bikes can pedal all day into the alpine and make chunky descent inspiring and fun.

mtbr member
    May 2016

I have not ridden the Hei Hei, but I can say that pedal strikes on the Spur are not bad (my Scott Spark was worse even with shorter cranks). For context, I ride rocky, root filled technical east coast single track where you have to consistently pedal in tech. I say that because it is different than tech that I have encountered when traveling out west, which tended to be either very deliberate lines/moves when climbing or was encountered on the downhills, but not as much when you are simply pedaling. Where I ride you have to pedal consistently through tech, which means clearance is more important to me than if I lived out west. Bike seems to be good about staying a bit higher in its travel. I was hesitant about the 175mm cranks but so far haven't felt a need to switch to 170mm.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    It handles it well. My Yeti SB95 was a fine bike at slow speed but felt much better as the pace increased. You might feel the same thing with the Scout given the weight and intended purpose. I was between medium and large for the Spur and went with medium, which probably also helps it feel a bit more engaging when navigating tight lines at slower speeds.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I logged about 30 miles in the last 2.5 days. From tech lines / rollers, jump lines, natural flow, and gold old plain Vermont trails (for Vermonters: Saxon (break in and tune), HTF, and Richmond & Cochrans). I just got it Tuesday...

Thoughts are this: DO NOT listen to someone's opinion who hasn't ridden one. This is a pure trail bike in all its glory. It's NOT a XC bike. For reference, I used to ride a 2020 Hightower, then most recently a Trail 429.

The best analogy for these 3 bikes are rated like this:
    Hightower: A Dodge Charger (Mopar strong, heavy, and bad ass)
    Trail 429: A spritely Corvette (my first introduction to a short travel 29er - I tasted the nectar and loved it)
    Spur: All out Ferrari

I can ride the Spur in every instance (so far) that I rode with the 2020 Hightower, however its about 4 pounds lighter and 5 times more playful and fun. Enduro geo with short travel that doesn't bottom out... sign me up.

Climbs are insanely effortless to be expected for a 27 pound bike. On flat rooty rocky trails, I kept looking down at cassette and I was in my lower 1/3 of gears. I couldn't believe how it just hauls and pedal so efficient.

Descending is a thrill. The SIDs are super nice and stable (kinda diggin the 35mm Sid - noticeably stiffer then my Fox 34 on my old T429). Its super fun to scrub tech lines, and open it up and get better air on more "open" lines. The bike is such a jumper. With very little rider input or effort from me. It just hovers under you and wants both wheels off the ground as much as possible. Brakes are still questionable, I am going to buy a 180 rotor for the rear as the bike travels so fast that my braking is slightly off on familiar trails, and I am finding I need more stopping power (surface).

If you like hitting natural features, small drops (under 5ft), and going uphill as much as down (ya know mountain biking), this bike is a true trail bike.

If you watch Remy and Yoanne's youtube vids (they're awesome, BTW) and think you wanna boost road gaps, do massive drops, only ride bike parks, and go break-neck speed through chunder, this isn't for you. Why even consider the Spur? I am not that rider and don't pretend to be, and at 43 years old I can still get rowdy, but not "that crazy" anymore. We need to be honest with ourselves on bike choices these days.

I got the GX Build. I pulled the tubes, swapped to a Ti Ergon saddle and Carbon Whisky bars. I could ea$ily drop a pound with carbon cranks and a cassette swap, but I think I will rock it as is until winter.

For reference I am just shy of 6'1" and riding weight of 195 pounds (190 after sweating my ass off!). I got the Large and its perfect for Vermont trails.

Look at that drop dead sexy design:
    Transition Spur-img_1221.jpg

Transition Spur-img_1219.jpg

Ask away with questions.
    Transition Spur
    Surly Wednesday
    Salsa Fargo

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by tedo View Post
    Trail 429: A spritely Corvette (my first introduction to a short travel 29er - I tasted the nectar and loved it)
    Taken it on any tight switchbacks, or into some slower tech? Guess asking how the bike behaves when not at 100%?

The bike just looks so damn good. Local show has a GX Large, but luckily I only need frame, otherwise I might have already bought it lol.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Transition Spur

Taken it on any tight switchbacks, or into some slower tech? Guess asking how the bike behaves when not at 100%?

The bike just looks so damn good. Local show has a GX Large, but luckily I only need frame, otherwise I might have already bought it lol.
    Yes. Vermont trails are all tight. This evening I climbed a section of Cochran’s (Scully’s Climb - twice) that has a few techy pitched 180s. Bike did awesome seated. On previous bikes I would have to get out of saddle over handlebars.

And the trails at HTF are notorious for slow tech and Jank. But lots of natural features and rollers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Transition Spur
    Surly Wednesday
    Salsa Fargo

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I was...and actually liked it a lot as far as riding experience.

But: I don't know that it's any lighter (in XXL...which is kinda comparable to the XL Kona/Spur. And, I kinda like the flex-stay idea with less bearing/pivots and,presumably, less maint.
    It is lighter 250 grams in the medium. That’s a lot.

I like the ABP and not to mention the much stronger derailleur hanger that Trek Uses vs other bikes. I also like paying less to replace just a chain stay or Seatstay is its my fault that it breaks.

So far my 2020TF is fantastic, but you must check bolt torque regularly as with all trek frames.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    I logged about 30 miles in the last 2.5 days. From tech lines / rollers, jump lines, natural flow, and gold old plain Vermont trails (for Vermonters: Saxon (break in and tune), HTF, and Richmond & Cochrans). I just got it Tuesday...
    Great review, thank you! I wish there was more of this stuff on the site and less losers arguing with each other.

mtbr member
    Got a few rides on my Spur now here in Sedona and the bike has kinda blown me away on how efficient and capable it is. Still need to test it on a few more trails but so far im super impressed. I changed the brakes to Code RSC 180/200, NOBL 31mm internal carbon wheels with the Dissector moved to the rear and a 2.5 DHF up front, changed cranks to 165mm. Weight is 27 lbs and it feels about perfect for my trails.

Transition Spur-spur2.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Rom3n View Post
    Got a few rides on my Spur now here in Sedona and the bike has kinda blown me away on how efficient and capable it is. Still need to test it on a few more trails but so far im super impressed. I changed the brakes to Code RSC 180/200, NOBL 31mm internal carbon wheels with the Dissector moved to the rear and a 2.5 DHF up front, changed cranks to 165mm. Weight is 27 lbs and it feels about perfect for my trails.
    How much do you weigh?

My plan was to do 180/180 rotors with Guide Ultimates that will get swapped over from my Evil Offering. I have a 200mm rotor on the front of my Offering but that's a 33/34lb coil equipped bike that occasionally sees park days. I had trouble wrapping my head around putting a 200mm rotor on a SID.

I preordered a frame and most of my parts are getting swapped over from my Evil with the exception of drivetrain and tires. I am second guessing the 175mm cranks with the AXS drivetrain I ordered. And I'm pretty set on giving the 2.4 Rekon Wide Trails a try.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

Transition Spur

Have you descended Hiline on it yet? If so how did you like it.

That a lot of tire and brake!

I got to take the Top fuel for tons of loops on Hogs and 1 time around hangover, but we always did the Trancept descent off of hiline instead of the classic steepy steep.

mtbr member

Thoughts are this: DO NOT listen to someone's opinion who hasn't ridden one. This is a pure trail bike in all its glory. It's NOT a XC bike. For reference, I used to ride a 2020 Hightower, then most recently a Trail 429.

I can ride the Spur in every instance (so far) that I rode with the 2020 Hightower, however its about 4 pounds lighter and 5 times more playful and fun. Enduro geo with short travel that doesn't bottom out... sign me up.

Climbs are insanely effortless to be expected for a 27 pound bike. On flat rooty rocky trails, I kept looking down at cassette and I was in my lower 1/3 of gears. I couldn't believe how it just hauls and pedal so efficient.

Descending is a thrill. The SIDs are super nice and stable (kinda diggin the 35mm Sid - noticeably stiffer then my Fox 34 on my old T429). Its super fun to scrub tech lines, and open it up and get better air on more "open" lines. The bike is such a jumper. With very little rider input or effort from me. It just hovers under you and wants both wheels off the ground as much as possible. Brakes are still questionable, I am going to buy a 180 rotor for the rear as the bike travels so fast that my braking is slightly off on familiar trails, and I am finding I need more stopping power (surface).

If you like hitting natural features, small drops (under 5ft), and going uphill as much as down (ya know mountain biking), this bike is a true trail bike.

If you watch Remy and Yoanne's youtube vids (they're awesome, BTW) and think you wanna boost road gaps, do massive drops, only ride bike parks, and go break-neck speed through chunder, this isn't for you. Why even consider the Spur? I am not that rider and don't pretend to be, and at 43 years old I can still get rowdy, but not "that crazy" anymore. We need to be honest with ourselves on bike choices these days.

I got the GX Build. I pulled the tubes, swapped to a Ti Ergon saddle and Carbon Whisky bars. I could ea$ily drop a pound with carbon cranks and a cassette swap, but I think I will rock it as is until winter.

For reference I am just shy of 6'1" and riding weight of 195 pounds (190 after sweating my ass off!). I got the Large and its perfect for Vermont trails.

Look at that drop dead sexy design:

Name:	IMG_1221.jpg 
Views:	374 
Size:	838.4 KB 
ID:	1349285

Name:	IMG_1219.jpg 
Views:	413 
Size:	789.0 KB 
ID:	1349287

Ask away with questions.
    Nice looking Bike! I'm also around 195 lbs. and ride the same trails at Cochran - How'd it handle the boneyard?

I ride a seven year old 153 on those trails - it's tired and so am I! This bike looks sweet though my initial thought is it would never handle these trails - yet here you are! I am going to be interested in long term reviews of the fork and pivots - these two areas would be my biggest concerns.

So maybe we have a new 35 mm fork that's up to the task? And maybe Transition dialed the rear triangle. If so, there is going to be a lot written about this bike.

How was the brake dive/repeated hits on the sid? Thanks!

P.S. That first pic looks to be from the top of Amigo, what a great trail

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 802spokestoke View Post
    Nice looking Bike! I'm also around 195 lbs. and ride the same trails at Cochran - How'd it handle the boneyard?

I ride a seven year old 153 on those trails - it's tired and so am I! This bike looks sweet though my initial thought is it would never handle these trails - yet here you are! I am going to be interested in long term reviews of the fork and pivots - these two areas would be my biggest concerns.

So maybe we have a new 35 mm fork that's up to the task? And maybe Transition dialed the rear triangle. If so, there is going to be a lot written about this bike.

How was the brake dive/repeated hits on the sid? Thanks!

P.S. That first pic looks to be from the top of Amigo, what a great trail
    You mean Graveyard? It was perfect. I was going to take it down Visceral, but Graveyard is so fast and jumpy (plus I was by myself, and I like to ride with at least one other person on Visceral). Bike was plush, and you know its a sustained length of trail.

I climbed up Jimmy Cliff, dropped off back to Amigos and up to Prayer Flags. Then down Graveyard to Connector, and back up to Scullys for a jump session. Was amazing and bike was hella fast and capable. I just swapped to a rear 180 over my lunch break, so this weekend I will see how she hold up.

I really like the 35mm Sid. It's like a Pike Light. So far no complaints but long term we will see.

Bike is a game changer for 95% of us riders.
    Transition Spur
    Surly Wednesday
    Salsa Fargo

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I really like the 35mm Sid. It's like a Pike Light. So far no complaints but long term we will see.

Bike is a game changer for 95% of us riders.
    Do you have the lightest version Dis 35SL with the race day damper? I am looking at this over my current Fox 34 PE

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Do you have the lightest version Dis 35SL with the race day damper? I am looking at this over my current Fox 34 PE

No, I have the lower level SID Select Plus (non SL). Comes stock on GX build. I have not noticed any less performance (or confidence) from my 140mm Fox Factory 34 on my old Pivot.
    Transition Spur
    Surly Wednesday
    Salsa Fargo

mtbr member
    You mean Graveyard?
    I hope the new steed rips for years to come!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I hope the new steed rips for years to come!

Um, that's not the Misfits I remember... Haha, but still nice reference, we should be friends:
    Transition Spur
    Surly Wednesday
    Salsa Fargo

mtbr member
    WHAT.IN.THE.HELL.WAS.THAT.ABOMINATION?!?!?!?!?!

I'm with Tedo on this one!

mtbr member
    How much do you weigh?

My plan was to do 180/180 rotors with Guide Ultimates that will get swapped over from my Evil Offering. I have a 200mm rotor on the front of my Offering but that's a 33/34lb coil equipped bike that occasionally sees park days. I had trouble wrapping my head around putting a 200mm rotor on a SID.

I preordered a frame and most of my parts are getting swapped over from my Evil with the exception of drivetrain and tires. I am second guessing the 175mm cranks with the AXS drivetrain I ordered. And I'm pretty set on giving the 2.4 Rekon Wide Trails a try.
    I ride at 185 and im a pretty aggressive rider so I like my tires and brakes I could not ride 175mm cranks on this bike here in the chunk maybe if I was riding more flow trail but 170 is usually the longest I run on any bike. I had a few pedal strikes early on trails I never strike on but im also running 30% sag. Once I got used to the BB height it has not been an issue.

mtbr member
    Have you descended Hiline on it yet? If so how did you like it.

That a lot of tire and brake!

I got to take the Top fuel for tons of loops on Hogs and 1 time around hangover, but we always did the Trancept descent off of hiline instead of the classic steepy steep.

I have not done hiline yet, i will most likely hit it this weekend. I can already tell that the bike will do perfectly fine on most any trail here. The bike punches above its weight for sure and begs to be pulled into the air when you want to avoid the bigger stuff.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Transition Bikes View Post
    Lars has long standing relationships with Shimano and Fox. His bike build reflects his personal product sponsorship/testing arrangements.

PLEASE offer a "Lars Special" with Shimano/Fox bits.
    "There's two kinds of people in this world - Walkers and Talkers." Which one are you?

mtbr member
    WHAT.IN.THE.HELL.WAS.THAT.ABOMINATION?!?!?!?!?!

I'm with Tedo on this one!
    Sorry Fellas! Didn't mean to highjack the thread with highly questionable 90's misfits.
    Let's ride sometime Tedo. Back to the Spur!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I have really been eyeing up this bike in the X01 build. I wonder where this bike sits compared to the Tallboy 3? I have mine set up Fox 34 elite 130 F and 110 R as I was on 27+. I recently put on a custom set of carbon 30mm wheels with Hydra hubs. They came out light at 1600g with tape and valves. I would be moving these to the Spur.

How is the one up dropper?
    2017 Santa Cruz Tallboy CC

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    How does the rear track with only flex stays? Any hang up in root/rock gardens.

Gah! Can't decide on Spur or Ranger!!! Wish I had the money to buy both and keep the one that is 'best' for me and my trails lol. Neither brand demo's here though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    For people familiar w/ Vermont trails, I rode Perry Hill this morning to take it on some seriously janky steep terrain. I rode Disneyland, climbed up to Burning Spear, then into Joes, and exited out Campfire. For those familiar, Joes and top section of Disney have some pretty nasty rollers.

Bike did amazing! I was a little nervous as its so humid out the rocks were sweating, and I just sent the trails hoping not to crash (which would be pretty serious injury there).

Tires were fine and grippy on the slippery black rocks, but brakes are garbage. Even with the 180 rear rotor. Swapping to trusty predictable XTs this week.

Love the bike. Its a keeper.
    Transition Spur
    Surly Wednesday
    Salsa Fargo

Monkey
    Apr 2004
    For people familiar w/ Vermont trails, I rode Perry Hill this morning to take it on some seriously janky steep terrain. I rode Disneyland, climbed up to Burning Spear, then into Joes, and exited out Campfire. For those familiar, Joes and top section of Disney have some pretty nasty rollers.

Bike did amazing! I was a little nervous as its so humid out the rocks were sweating, and I just sent the trails hoping not to crash (which would be pretty serious injury there).

Tires were fine and grippy on the slippery black rocks, but brakes are garbage. Even with the 180 rear rotor. Swapping to trusty predictable XTs this week.

Let us (me) know when you ride the faster rocky bits of Burning Spear and Rastaman. Six Flags into Disney is one of my favorite bit up there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Jozz View Post
    Let us (me) know when you ride the faster rocky bits of Burning Spear and Rastaman. Six Flags into Disney is one of my favorite bit up there.
    I rode burning spear down into Joes. Usually it’s a toss up if I do Rasta or Joes. This morning I really wanted to ride the steeper rollers on Joes to see how the bike handled. The 66 HTA was super comfortable on the steeps and never bottomed our suspension.

Burning Spear is definitely fun and fast. This morning was no exception. Just had to be a tad cautious on the slabs as they were slick!

Bike is a pocket rocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Transition Spur
    Surly Wednesday
    Salsa Fargo

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Choices

I had a Ranger frame on order and switched to the Spur. Ranger was a better deal as I was doing frame+fork and moving over my own stuff AND I got my order in early so will prob arrive end of month

I had to do a complete XO1 Spur and it won't be here prob til October but it ticks off the boxes I'm looking for.

The Ranger will be amazing....I don't think you can go wrong, but I think the Spur is gonna be amazeballs and it looks 50x better IMHO...and the launch vid of the ebike was comic gold

I got the blue/green!

Monkey
    Apr 2004
    Bike is a pocket rocket.
    Music to my ears!

If I ever kill my '17 Scout, this will be high on my WANT list.

J.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Off topic... Are those trail in Kingdom Trails? I'm going up to KT next week and need some route recommendations.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Off topic... Are those trail in Kingdom Trails? I'm going up to KT next week and need some route recommendations.
    They are not. We have a bunch of different State mountain bike chapters. We literally have 1000's of miles of singletrack in VT. Its a great place to be a mountain biker.

Kingdom Trails are great for putting in long days with a lot of miles w/ stunning views. I'm a big fan of KT starting from the mountain trails going down all the way into town then finish off the day on Darling Hill (easily do 30-40 miles w/o blinking).

The trails I rode this week on the Spur are a little more technical (HTF, Cochrans, Perry) to test the bikes capability to see if I made an expensive mistake... I did not.
    Transition Spur
    Surly Wednesday
    Salsa Fargo

mtbr member
    Feb 2017

Help

Guys, need some thoughts here please. I have an SB130LR and am looking for that second 'lighter' option for grade 3&4 in NZ. I am entering races but not looking to win but be competitive and push myself. (I ride 300+ quality kms a week on my road bike).
    I was looking at a 2020 TF which is a lot cheaper here vs SPUR X01 build, perhaps a SC TB4 as well but I fear it's going to be closer to my SB130. Do you think the Spur whilst it won't perhaps be a XC weapon will be a better choice, I don't want to have two bikes that overlap (if possible), I fear that I may with the Spur a little... the feedback just sounds so good, I'm drooling at the thought of grabbing one albeit, it's farken $10K+NZD.... thanks guys.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNamesPool View Post
    Guys, need some thoughts here please. I have an SB130LR and am looking for that second 'lighter' option for grade 3&4 in NZ. I am entering races but not looking to win but be competitive and push myself. (I ride 300+ quality kms a week on my road bike).
    I was looking at a 2020 TF which is a lot cheaper here vs SPUR X01 build, perhaps a SC TB4 as well but I fear it's going to be closer to my SB130. Do you think the Spur whilst it won't perhaps be a XC weapon will be a better choice, I don't want to have two bikes that overlap (if possible), I fear that I may with the Spur a little... the feedback just sounds so good, I'm drooling at the thought of grabbing one albeit, it's farken $10K+NZD.... thanks guys.
    Agreed that the tb4 may overlap a bit. What about the SC blur?

mtbr member
    May 2004

Xc based

Check out the Clint Gibbs videos on you tube he’s been doing just this regards xc racing and the spur. Worth a watch defo.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bat on a bike View Post
    Check out the Clint Gibbs videos on you tube he’s been doing just this regards xc racing and the spur. Worth a watch defo.
    Thanks. I like that he really seems to approach it with a scientific mindset and set aside any bias.

Also just stumbled into this guy's channel for the first time and his review is really good too:
    https://youtu.be/sPQxeOeIb5E

mtbr member
    I'm really looking forward to a report after someone rides a Spur down the Whole Enchilada.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by velez3000 View Post
    I had a Ranger frame on order and switched to the Spur. Ranger was a better deal as I was doing frame+fork and moving over my own stuff AND I got my order in early so will prob arrive end of month

I had to do a complete XO1 Spur and it won't be here prob til October but it ticks off the boxes I'm looking for.

The Ranger will be amazing....I don't think you can go wrong, but I think the Spur is gonna be amazeballs and it looks 50x better IMHO...and the launch vid of the ebike was comic gold

I got the blue/green!
    I am really hoping frames start shipping before October. I have heard mid August and I have heard October.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I am really hoping frames start shipping before October. I have heard mid August and I have heard October.
    I was told October/November from transition for my large frame in Green.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Same frame I have on order.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Same frame I have on order.
    Medium stock in NZ !

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Please check our reply earlier in this thread for more details on preorder ETA info. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Getting more rides in on my Spur. Put some new tires on today and went out for a quick rip. Went with the Bontrager XR4/XR3 combo. Dropped a bunch of weight and really like the way it rolls now. Stock Dissector/Rekon WTs were just too heavy and slow for me.

From Saturday's ride

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I have about 60 miles on the Spur and its great. Like I said above, I swapped the 160 rear rotor for a 180. It helps for sure. The only weakness is the G2 brakes. I know people love them, however they are pretty loud (yes, they are bedded in correctly). I may get some ceramic pads as it would be a cheaper upgrade then XTs.

Been a heatwave in Vermont this past week:
    Transition Spur-img_1232.jpg

Transition Spur-img_1234.jpg
    Transition Spur
    Surly Wednesday
    Salsa Fargo

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Funny, I’m heading up to Vermont tomorrow to ride for a few days and I’m looking forward to it being 20 degrees cooler!

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I have about 60 miles on the Spur and its great. Like I said above, I swapped the 160 rear rotor for a 180. It helps for sure. The only weakness is the G2 brakes. I know people love them, however they are pretty loud (yes, they are bedded in correctly). I may get some ceramic pads as it would be a cheaper upgrade then XTs.

Been a heatwave in Vermont this past week:

Name:	IMG_1232.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	810.3 KB 
ID:	1350283

Name:	IMG_1234.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	819.2 KB 
ID:	1350285
    Swapping rotors really help them. Magura, storm stop like crazy when paired, but burble at times. It increases bite

Rt86 Shimanos do the trick.

All of these rotors are far lighter and better than SRAMs

that guy
    Jun 2011
    If anyone knows of a black medium XO1 build in stock anywhere in the U.S., please let me know! I'm on an extended mtb+camping trip across the whole country and would really love to buy this bike for the second half of my "extreme social distancing" adventure. I already have a great offer to buy my older Ibis mojo3, so I'm really praying I can figure out a way to pull this off between now and August 25th. (that's when I get off military orders and make the return trip driving, camping, and riding across the U.S. from AZ to NC)

/fingerscrossed

mtbr member

Name:	spur2.jpg 
Views:	379 
Size:	495.9 KB 
ID:	1349435
    Dumb question: is that the color of the Spur or did you use filters? I ask b/c it looks much GREENER and much less matte than other photos (and on Transitions web site.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    My images aren't showing up in my posts. Not sure what's up with that, seems odd.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    My images aren't showing up in my posts. Not sure what's up with that, seems odd.
    Try using a picture hosting site like Smugmug and then you just post the image code.

mtbr member
    Jul 2020

Good Review

Thanks for your thoughts, Im 6'2 and long-ish legs and 36 inch inseam so seem to be in between Lge and XL (as all bikes!) I see some ride lge with some riser bars and longer stem and other stick to the XL.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    If you're feeling like your SID fork is losing some of its plushness since the first ride you're not alone. Just completed a lower leg service on my fork and while I didn't measure the oil that came out, I could have sworn only ~5ml (of the 10lm required) drained out. Also cleaned and added fresh grease to the air spring. I noticed this fork is using a pretty large rubber bottom out bumper which is probably why you're not using full travel. I suggest not running lower than recommended pressures on this fork. Went back up to 83psi for my 170lbs weight for a smoother transition for the bumper and the fork feel 1000% plusher again after the service.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by wrinklefree View Post
    If you're feeling like your SID fork is losing some of its plushness since the first ride you're not alone. Just completed a lower leg service on my fork and while I didn't measure the oil that came out, I could have sworn only ~5ml (of the 10lm required) drained out. Also cleaned and added fresh grease to the air spring. I noticed this fork is using a pretty large rubber bottom out bumper which is probably why you're not using full travel. I suggest not running lower than recommended pressures on this fork. Went back up to 83psi for my 170lbs weight for a smoother transition for the bumper and the fork feel 1000% plusher again after the service.
    New 2020 Sid only requires 5ml.

Transition Spur-f7cec0a9-121d-47ef-a042-e072af96d044.jpg

Lower leg oil primarily is used to lubricate the foam O ring. Really shouldn’t affect the plushness unless it had zero oil.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    New 2020 Sid only requires 5ml.

Name:	F7CEC0A9-121D-47EF-A042-E072AF96D044.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	1350961

Lower leg oil primarily is used to lubricate the foam O ring. Really shouldn’t affect the plushness unless it had zero oil.
    The fork is listed as 2021 model.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...yKbX10wz-K4Epq

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by wrinklefree View Post
    The fork is listed as 2021 model.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...yKbX10wz-K4Epq

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
    Good catch.

mtbr member
    Jun 2019
    That is a deal breaker for me. At SRAM recommended PSI (105 for my weight) I was getting 10% sag. Had to drop down to 85psi to get 25% sag.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Tedo, or others - can you comment on the longish seat tube (particularly on size large, at 460 mm)? Bike has a really low standover, but benefit seems negated by limited ability to drop saddle real low.

Also, Tedo, based on those trails you refer to, can you elaborate on why you chose Spur over Sentinel? Transition marketing describes Sentinel as "all arounder" (not sure I buy that.....). Spur seems great for KT, but wondering if one should have concerns about long-term durability at more rocky trail systems. Would you hit that drop at top of Moose Deuce on the Spur?

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I think I’m switching my order to an XL. I’m 6 1.5 and feel I might be too cramped when seated pedaling on the large. Think I’d rather run a shorter stem on the XL

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SCbos View Post
    Tedo, or others - can you comment on the longish seat tube (particularly on size large, at 460 mm)? Bike has a really low standover, but benefit seems negated by limited ability to drop saddle real low.

Also, Tedo, based on those trails you refer to, can you elaborate on why you chose Spur over Sentinel? Transition marketing describes Sentinel as "all arounder" (not sure I buy that.....). Spur seems great for KT, but wondering if one should have concerns about long-term durability at more rocky trail systems. Would you hit that drop at top of Moose Deuce on the Spur?
    Hi, 180mm dropper is plenty low on Spur on a Large. I highly doubt you need much lower.

I had a 2020 Hightower last summer, and it was great but not the most playful for me personally. I like shorter travel 29ers. And tell you the truth, I am not boosting road gaps anymore, and not hitting any drop taller then me these days. Hence the smaller, lighter, more playful bike. Also, I am not a racer. I just want to have fun in the woods. Spur in my opinion is better for me compared to the Sentinel.

I have logged over 100 miles since July 14th on Spur. It's a weapon. It can ride anything my Hightower could. The geo is key. If you want specifics on Vermont trails I can tell you every network, and every trail I rode on this bike. We 95% ride techie tight handmade trails.

As far as your KT comment... yes, absolutely I would hit that drop on Moose Duece on the Spur. I haven't been there this season (too many awesome trails locally), but if I remember correctly its barely 4ft tall.. and super smooth rollout. I've hit jankier with barely any rollout locally on Spur.

One thing is the tune on the suspension gets super ramped up towards the end, so I have never bottomed out front or rear, and they are set to my weight specs (195 lbs).

I like the Spur so much, that its the first bike I ever owned that I registered (which means I don't plan on getting a new bike for a while...). I love it.
    Transition Spur
    Surly Wednesday
    Salsa Fargo

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Tedo, thanks for the great feedback. I've been riding 32 lb+ trail bikes with Pikes/Lyriks/30 mm rims etc. for so long, I'm having trouble reconciling riding a 25-26 lb bike on the same trails without incurring wear/tear on pivot hardware, suspension, wheels, etc. sooner than I've been accustomed. A lighter bike would be great for climbing and riding fast!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SCbos View Post
    Tedo, thanks for the great feedback. I've been riding 32 lb+ trail bikes with Pikes/Lyriks/30 mm rims etc. for so long, I'm having trouble reconciling riding a 25-26 lb bike on the same trails without incurring wear/tear on pivot hardware, suspension, wheels, etc. sooner than I've been accustomed. A lighter bike would be great for climbing and riding fast!
    I feel like I'm over-biked 95% of the time on my 150/130 travel 27.5 that weighs 32lbs. This bike has me so intrigued. I have owned two TR Scouts V1 and V2 and was so disappointed when the V3 came out. V3 looks like a great bike, and no doubt punches well about its weight......I just can't use the V3 to it's potential. I was hoping they were going to go back towards V1 which was a short travel ripper! Make it light, fast and just an all around fun bike.

The Spur is what I wanted for the V3 Scout......short travel, playful, efficient, shredder.

Now that the Spur has dropped I'm seriously thinking of finally trying out a 29er. This looks like the Original Scout........just with wagon wheels.

TR now has lifetime warranty on their frames, plus they have the best customer service in the industry......I wouldn't hesitate to get rowdy on this bike. The tires and rims though will probably have a short lifespan though.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast